202 Pages V « < 190 191 192 193 194 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
SubRosa
post Feb 11 2020, 10:14 PM
Post #3821

Ancient
Group Icon

I dusted off my Monk dvds, and watched the first episode. Thanks to my 4k tv, I noticed something I never had before. In several scenes a person knocks on someone's front door, and they show it from the pov of the person inside looking out at the visitor. The street scenes of traffic and the like outside were all done green screen. I never noticed that on a regular tv, or even and HD tv. But in 4k, it is just so obvious. Another example of the downsides of 4k.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 11 2020, 10:28 PM
Post #3822

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 11 2020, 04:14 PM) *

I dusted off my Monk dvds, and watched the first episode. Thanks to my 4k tv, I noticed something I never had before. In several scenes a person knocks on someone's front door, and they show it from the pov of the person inside looking out at the visitor. The street scenes of traffic and the like outside were all done green screen. I never noticed that on a regular tv, or even and HD tv. But in 4k, it is just so obvious. Another example of the downsides of 4k.

Isn't that odd! Since the show was made long before the 4K TV's, I guess they never realized that one day technology would unblur those scenes or something, lol. I've never yet seen the pilot; always seem to miss it whenever the cable channels around here run that series every year.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 12 2020, 12:30 AM
Post #3823

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 11 2020, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 11 2020, 04:14 PM) *

Isn't that odd! Since the show was made long before the 4K TV's, I guess they never realized that one day technology would unblur those scenes or something, lol. I've never yet seen the pilot; always seem to miss it whenever the cable channels around here run that series every year.

It is just a side effect of having such a high resolution. You see every tiny little thing, stuff that is invisible at lower resolutions like high definition or standard definition.

I have also been watching a BBC special about Charles I and the English Civil War. Every time they mention Parliament I keep thinking of this.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 12 2020, 12:41 AM
Post #3824

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 11 2020, 06:30 PM) *

I have also been watching a BBC special about Charles I and the English Civil War. Every time they mention Parliament I keep thinking of this.

rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 12 2020, 03:33 PM
Post #3825

Master
Group Icon

Amongst my (too?) many recent YouTube watchings, much of which is centered on the debacle that is the Democratic (party) primaries and their demonic 'coverage' by Mainstream Media, I took a break to see a charming Buster Keaton silent era comedy:

One Week (YouTube)

As it concerns a newlywed couple and a house, I suppose it could be labeled 'domestic comedy.' I'd not seen it before, except for a clip from the finale used in several compilation videos.

Am also watching most of Steve Donoghue's 'BookTube' episodes as they are released. How he finds time to put out multiple episodes a day while reading sometimes 100-plus books a month is incomprehensible to me. Even in my reading 'prime' a good year saw me read between 50 and 60 novel-length books. Nowadays 20 to 30 is more the norm, despite having practically unlimited reading time available. (Part of it is due to aches and pains while lying down, which is how I always 'seriously' read. Part of it finding it ever harder to retain focus any length of time.) Heck, if correct trends continue I might not hit 20 this year, considering we're nearly halfway through Feb and I've two finished books to my credit.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Feb 12 2020, 03:36 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Feb 16 2020, 07:18 PM
Post #3826

Master
Group Icon

Been watching a lot of Netflix lately.

A couple of series of notes:

Prison Playbook, a Korean dramedy (or black comedy, if you prefer), about a star pitcher who is sentenced to a year in jail for excessive assault in apprehending a rapist who attacked his sister. It's about how he adjusted to life in prison, made friends, and generally did things for others. I really enjoyed the character development in this series - I really can't point to any one character and say yeah, that's a cardboard cutout. I learned a lot about writing secondary characters from this series. There were many moments that made me laugh out loud for their black humor, which I love and enjoy. I got really invested in the lives and choices of each prison mate, the guards closest to them, and their loved ones outside the prison.

Locke and Key, a supernatural drama I imagine is on the order of Stranger Things, which I haven't yet watched. It has elements of Poe, Stephen King and even a bit of Lovecraft mixed up in it. I especially liked how the different keys unlocked different gifts behind each respective door. The ending left me feeling like a setup for more, but that's okay.

Currently I'm watching Ragnarok, NOT the movie with Chris Helmsworth, but a Norwegian series set in a small fjord town called (are you ready?) Edda. Apparently, according to the stories, the gods all died in the mythical Ragnarok, but no one knows what happened to the Giants. Well, let me just say this: there's a strong element of environmental/Gaia evangelism going on here. I promised myself I would just watch one episode just to get a feeling for it, but ended up watching four and being up past midnight. Whew, that's more than half the series, I think!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 24 2020, 02:29 AM
Post #3827

Master
Group Icon

Just finished watching the 1948 film adaptation of Oliver Twist. Hadn't seen it before. Very very impressive in every aspect. It appeared amongst today's YouTube recommendations. I clicked on it not knowing what to expect. Was immediately grabbed by its music score, which turns out to have been written by Sir Arnold Bax, a heavyweight 'classical' music composer of his day. By the time the credits revealed the composer's name (at their tail-end) I was sold.

OLIVER TWIST, 1948 (Movie, YouTube)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 26 2020, 09:47 PM
Post #3828

Master
Group Icon

Found out earlier today that Diana Serra Cary, "Baby Peggy" passed away 24 Feb 2020 at age 101. Considering lack of general interest in old-time movie actors coverage of her demise is largely absent. Even YouTube has, at the moment, little about it. Of what there is, this brief video is about as good as any, better than some:

Baby Peggy Tribute - YouTube

One quibble with the above. The narrator calls her the last silent film star. This is either true or not true depending on usage of the word 'star.' Yes, she was the last silent era survivor with true 'star' stature, one of the big draws of day. On the other hand, if you mean star as 'actor' then no, she was not the last remaining silent era actor. Last I checked, there are now six verified living survivors, and a few uncertainties. All were, of course, baby/child actors during the silent era. It's been some years since the last 'adult' silent actor departed.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 26 2020, 10:04 PM
Post #3829

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Feb 26 2020, 03:47 PM) *

Found out earlier today that Diana Serra Cary, "Baby Peggy" passed away 24 Feb 2020 at age 101. Considering lack of general interest in old-time movie actors coverage of her demise is largely absent. Even YouTube has, at the moment, little about it. Of what there is, this brief video is about as good as any, better than some:

Baby Peggy Tribute - YouTube

One quibble with the above. The narrator calls her the last silent film star. This is either true or not true depending on usage of the word 'star.' Yes, she was the last silent era survivor with true 'star' stature, one of the big draws of day. On the other hand, if you mean star as 'actor' then no, she was not the last remaining silent era actor. Last I checked, there are now six verified living survivors, and a few uncertainties. All were, of course, baby/child actors during the silent era. It's been some years since the last 'adult' silent actor departed.

I never actually heard of her before; but did enjoy looking at her adorable baby pics!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Mar 6 2020, 08:41 PM
Post #3830

Master
Group Icon

Star Trek: Picard continues to be excellent. Finally had a reunion with Riker and Troi on this weeks episode.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 10 2020, 01:00 AM
Post #3831

Master
Group Icon

I need this movie. Only, I'd like it at 1080p but don't own a Blu-ray player, believe it or not. I waited so long before taking plunge (from DVD) that while narrowing down which player I wanted (and could afford) 4k was announced. That led to another extended wait. Then my hearing tanked, negating the need for a high-end player supporting hi-def music formats. In any case, I do no plan to buy a 4k TV or monitor any time soon, if ever. I'll likely get it as a digital download viewable on PC. If I get it at all.

The First 9 Minutes of 1917 (the movie, not the year) - YouTube

I like that color is muted (if that the correct term) so that it has something of the quality of a colorized B&W film, or maybe 2-strip technicolor?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 10 2020, 07:14 PM
Post #3832

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Mar 9 2020, 08:00 PM) *

I need this movie. Only, I'd like it at 1080p but don't own a Blu-ray player, believe it or not. I waited so long before taking plunge (from DVD) that while narrowing down which player I wanted (and could afford) 4k was announced. That led to another extended wait. Then my hearing tanked, negating the need for a high-end player supporting hi-def music formats. In any case, I do no plan to buy a 4k TV or monitor any time soon, if ever. I'll likely get it as a digital download viewable on PC. If I get it at all.

The First 9 Minutes of 1917 (the movie, not the year) - YouTube

I like that color is muted (if that the correct term) so that it has something of the quality of a colorized B&W film, or maybe 2-strip technicolor?

I watched all three vids showing cuts of the movie; and agree with you totally. This movie is the complete opposite of the type of movie I want to watch at all; yet I found myself completely riveted by it. This is a spectacular bit of film-making; really raw and gritty the way it was filmed = not at all "Hollywood" and that immediately makes it more desirable to me because it actually felt real; as if you were really going through it with Blake and Schofield = no special effects or drama, it just plain felt real.

They spent a lot more time in scenes like going through the trenches both before they left and when Schofield reached the place than was needed to get the point across; which made it that much more real; as did the ride in the truck to the front lines when all those boys were talking amongst themselves with all different accents/dialects/and vernacular and I could barely understand a word; but the gist of what they were saying was clear.

(and as a side note; those trenches in the early scenes gave me a nice nostalgic memory of the ones outside the Capital building that were held by the Super Mutants in Fallout 3, lol = they were fortified exactly the same!).

I've seen the official trailers for this one; but they didn't draw my interest in the slightest; where these vids absolutely did. I think this one will sweep the Awards this year based on what I saw here; really outstanding directing, acting, storyline = I hope you are able to see it in its entirety!

This post has been edited by mALX: Mar 10 2020, 07:15 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 10 2020, 09:31 PM
Post #3833

Ancient
Group Icon

Listening to a Behind the Bastards episode on Basil Zaharoff inspired me to go back and re-watch Reilly: Ace of Spies, as Zaharoff is in the first half of the series. I am almost finished with it now.

It is nice to watch a drama about spies, showing what it was really like at the turn of the century, rather than the modern super-action spy movies like the Bond series. Sam Neill is of course, always awesome to watch.

What really strikes me this time through is the opening credits. It is a series of black and white photos from the early 1900s. Most are from Russia, and the revolution, but interspersed through them are pictures of the rest of Europe. It is how things were, before the Great War. It brings home how this series is not just about the modernization of the spy "industry". It is also the death of an era of European history that went back centuries. Not just of colonialism, but a much older period, when the great powers of European essentially played a great game of diplomacy and war between them all. By 1918 it wasn't a game anymore. By 1945 there weren't even any pieces left, except on other people's boards. It is basically Europe committing suicide.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 14 2020, 01:10 PM
Post #3834

Master
Group Icon

Watched a "Top-10 best movie dance sequences" (not its exact title) video at YouTube (where else?) this morning. It was quite well done as these things go. Pretty much all entries deserved mention, and weren't always the 'obvious' popular choices one might expect. Their top pick blew me away. It's from an older film. I had heard of neither film nor dancers prior to the video. Those two gentlemen had talent out the wazoo, legs/nerves of steel, and an obvious love for their craft. Rather than link the entire video I tracked down a separate video devoted solely to that one dance routine. Here it is:

Nicholas Brothers: The greatest dance sequence (YouTube video)

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 14 2020, 05:31 PM
Post #3835

Ancient
Group Icon

Wow! Those guys are incredible! And all those splits! Ouch!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 15 2020, 08:40 PM
Post #3836

Ancient
Group Icon

I just watched Spenser Confidential on Netflix. It is a standalone movie, at least so far, rebooting the old Spenser For Hire tv show. It was good, mostly a crime drama, but with enough action to keep things exciting and interesting. The place most of it revolves around - Wonderland - is Easy City Downs from Fallout 4! Which was a fun little thing for me to recognize.

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Mar 21 2020, 02:52 PM
Post #3837

Master
Group Icon

Just watched the first episode of "Samurai Cat" on Prime. (Note- it is not related to the Mark Rogers novels of the same name.)

This is a true Japanese import, and therefore requires some adjustment- biggest example is the extended... intermissions?... that occurred a couple of times in this episode.

Samurai Cat

In any event, the premise is that a masterless samurai takes on a job to kill a "goblin cat" that is believed to be harming its owner. But... something else happens.

For those of us who like things that are Japanese- especially samurai sorts of things- AND cats, this is a treat.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 22 2020, 11:30 PM
Post #3838

Ancient
Group Icon

I just finished watching the second Jumanji movie. Well, the third. The most recent one. It was a ton of fun! They added Danny Devito, Danny Glover, Awkwafina, and did a lot of body swapping between players and characters. The Rock doing Danny Devito was hilarious. Askwafina doing him was even better. Like the other more recent Jumanji movie, it has a really good heart. Like watching a John Hughes movie. By the end you have a warm fuzzy feeling, because you have learned and grown as a person.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Mar 26 2020, 12:24 AM
Post #3839

Knower
Group Icon

I'm working on a paper for my Philosophy of Mathematics class and I remembered this episode of Nova called The Great Math Mystery. It deals with the discussion on whether math is an invention or a discovery (I think its a discovery). It's a cool concept and it was the whole reason I took this particular class. I'm sad half the time it was utter clownery, but maybe with it being online now the clownery will be reduced.

--------------------
Madness Helps Me Save Myself
Nemesis

Standing on the cliffs that kiss burning winds
We are rising together
Brazen, exalting, a hiss of triumph rings
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 26 2020, 01:40 AM
Post #3840

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Jacki Dice @ Mar 25 2020, 07:24 PM) *

I'm working on a paper for my Philosophy of Mathematics class and I remembered this episode of Nova called The Great Math Mystery. It deals with the discussion on whether math is an invention or a discovery (I think its a discovery). It's a cool concept and it was the whole reason I took this particular class. I'm sad half the time it was utter clownery, but maybe with it being online now the clownery will be reduced.

I'll disagree. It's an invention - the tool you use to make the discoveries. You can use mathematics to describe hypothetical situations that can't exist, e.g. hyperspaces with extra dimensions, or abstract concepts like Riemann surfaces that are hard to map to anything real.

Extra credit for proving me wrong. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post

202 Pages V « < 190 191 192 193 194 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:00 PM