Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Favourite tv series, what's your favourite?
Ethelle
post Apr 8 2008, 06:45 PM
Post #1

Retainer

I searched, but I didn't find a topic like this in the next three pages, so I figured I'd create one. If there is a topic like this already, I sincerely apologize.

So what's you favourite tv series, if you have one?

At the moment, I'm a great fan of House. I've always been a fan of the Blackadder series, so I was pleasantly surprised when Hugh Laurie got his own series. A hospital series at that. I hate hospital series, usually, but I make an exception for this one.

I used to be a fan of Stargate: SG-1 a few years back, and I recently started to watch the dvds I had bought a long time back. As I remember, I stopped watching because I found it boring, but now I can't remember why. I love the series now more than ever.

--------------------
I am the Mindtraveller, seeking wisdom of yore,
I am the Mindexplorer, striving to know so much more.

-Falconer
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Christo_2992
post Apr 8 2008, 06:55 PM
Post #2

Retainer

Lost!
Heroes!

--------------------
Rather one day a lion, than a hundred year a sheep.
~Italian proverb.

Mama always said life was like a box a chocolates, never know what you're gonna get
~Forrest Gump
+Quote Post
Ethelle
post Apr 8 2008, 07:23 PM
Post #3

Retainer

Meh... I'm not a big fan of Lost *dodges rotten tomatoes*

I have heard a lot about Heroes, however. What is it about?

--------------------

-Falconer
+Quote Post
Christo_2992
post Apr 8 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #4

Retainer

*throws rotten tomatoes*

Anyway, heroes is about people who suddenly get super-powers and have to save the world.

I know it doesn't sound original but it's awesome!

--------------------
Rather one day a lion, than a hundred year a sheep.
~Italian proverb.

Mama always said life was like a box a chocolates, never know what you're gonna get
~Forrest Gump
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Apr 8 2008, 07:33 PM
Post #5

Wizard
Group Icon

I don't really watch tv, so I'm really not up to speed on the latest series and such. Classics that I do love though;
- Mash
- Blackadder
- Dharma and Greg
- Married with Children
- Home Improvement
- Roseanne
- Will and Grace

And probably a half dozen I'm forgetting. smile.gif

--------------------
All that is needed for evil to triumph, is that good men stand idle.
+Quote Post
treydog
post Apr 8 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #6

Master
Group Icon

Favorites at the moment are:

Chuck- Computer repairman "becomes" a CIA/NSA supercomputer

Bones- Forensics

Blast from the past: The much-too short Firefly- Spaceships, horses, (and Adam Baldwin)

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
canis216
post Apr 8 2008, 08:10 PM
Post #7

Knower
Group Icon

I'm not much for watching TV... I don't own one. When I do watch, I'm usually watching NBA basketball. Maybe Mythbusters, sometimes. That's about it.

--------------------
Read about Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun, a Blades assassin, in Killing in the Emperor's Name and The Dark Operation. And elsewhere.
+Quote Post
Ethelle
post Apr 8 2008, 09:45 PM
Post #8

Retainer

@ Christo: Well, I think it does sound rather original. Don't know about any other series with a concept like that.

@ Alexander: Ah yes, Mash too. They broadcasted it last year here. The main character Hawkeye is such an arrogant person though that I couldn't always bear to watch. biggrin.gif And yay for Blackadder and Dharma&Greg!

@ Treydog: Hmm... I think I saw Bones once. I remember thinking "This is less bad than CSI", which surprised me because I recently turned away from the genre firstly because I don't like CSI, and secondly because all sorts of clones appeared. Bones wasn't so bad.

@ Canis: biggrin.gif I'll have the same problem when I'm moving out. I will have a tv, but no money for cable or satellite or something. I'll have to stick to watching dvds then. Mythbusters is fun. What's the guys name with the silly hat? I love his moustache!

This post has been edited by Ethelle: Apr 8 2008, 09:46 PM

--------------------

-Falconer
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Apr 8 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #9

Wizard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ethelle @ Apr 8 2008, 10:45 PM) *

@ Alexander: Ah yes, Mash too. They broadcasted it last year here. The main character Hawkeye is such an arrogant person though that I couldn't always bear to watch. biggrin.gif And yay for Blackadder and Dharma&Greg!

Heh, yeah at times he's quite annoying, though overall the characters and the story lines make it a very compelling show. I was also impressed with the positiveness I've always heard and seen was said about it by those people actually in a real MASH during the koren war. I think that adds quite a dimension to it.

And I seem to recall it being repeated quite a few times over the years, I'm pretty sure I once saw the entire thing on RTL5, or maybe SBS6. Though that was back in the days I did watch TV a lot smile.gif

--------------------
All that is needed for evil to triumph, is that good men stand idle.
+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Apr 8 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #10

Mage
Group Icon

Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis are my two favourites. I've always felt SG1 went kinda downhill after Richard Dean Anderson wasn't in it anymore, but never to the point I didn't look forward to watching it. And Atlantis had a shakey start, but it's really picked up and gotten great.

I'm also a fan of Heroes, though I've never actually watched it on tv tongue.gif

Other than that.... Bones is pretty good, though I rarely get to see it anymore.

--------------------
IPB Image

D�anaim smaoineamh, d� bhr� sin, t�im ann - Descartes

Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. - G.K. Chesterton

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
minque
post Apr 9 2008, 12:21 AM
Post #11

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ahhh let's see now....

1. Grey's Anatomy
2. Bones (forensics..yummy ohmy.gif )
3. ER
4. House
5. Chicago Hope
6. Jordan
7. Private Practise
8. Kyle XY
9. Lost
10. Heroes
11. NCIS
12. 2900happiness (danish one)
13. Miami Vice (Don Johnson..yummy)
14. Mash
15. Scrubs

and many more out there!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ibis
post Apr 9 2008, 04:12 AM
Post #12

Mouth
Group Icon

I am totally with Alexander's list .. my tastes exactly.

Especially concerning MASH. When I was active duty in an Air Force hospital .. a double MASH came on at 4-5pm every weekday - shift change time - and the whole hospital settled down to watch MASH ... except the nurses who were exchanging shift notes. This is not unexplainable though considering that this was immediately post-Vietnam and the actual MASH's had been evacced through Germany to our stateside hospitals.

And later when we lived in San Antonio, TX MASH came on 11 times a week. Again not unusual since San Antone at that time had 5 military bases.

--------------------
IPB Image <--- Moon Cookiies for all who join @ TESFU

+Quote Post
Bolzmania
post Apr 9 2008, 05:22 AM
Post #13

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ethelle @ Apr 8 2008, 10:45 PM) *

Mythbusters is fun. What's the guys name with the silly hat? I love his moustache!

His name is Jamie.
I like Heroes, House, Anders & Måns (swedish), Kvarteret Skatan (swedish), Family Guy and Simpsons.
BTW I'm gonna stop writing "//Daedroth". I'm getting tired of it.

This post has been edited by Daedroth: Apr 9 2008, 05:23 AM

--------------------
"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world"
+Quote Post
stargelman
post Apr 9 2008, 07:42 AM
Post #14

Senor Snore
Group Icon

Oh, He robbed from the rich
and he gave to the poor.
Stood up to the man
and he gave him what for.
Our love for him now
ain't hard to explain.
The hero of Canton
the man they call Jayne!

I too love that series and recently rewatched it, what little of it there is.

Aside from that, I like:

- Babylon 5
- MASH
- ST:DS9
- Red Dwarf
- Lexx
- Whose Line
- Brittas Empire
- Stargate
- Simpsons
- Blackadder
- My name is Earl
- Rome
- Married with children
- Frasier
- Hogans Heroes
- War of the Worlds (the series!)

And a few others I probably forgot.

--------------------
Being good means getting better.
+Quote Post
Ethelle
post Apr 9 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #15

Retainer

QUOTE(Wolfie @ Apr 9 2008, 12:38 AM) *

Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis are my two favourites. I've always felt SG1 went kinda downhill after Richard Dean Anderson wasn't in it anymore, but never to the point I didn't look forward to watching it. And Atlantis had a shakey start, but it's really picked up and gotten great.

I've never seen more than Seasons 1 to 5 of Stargate SG-1, so I wouldn't know if the series goes downhill eventually. I think Anderson's final season is 8, right? Personally I think I would have a lot less fun watching without Col. Jack O'Neill. You can always count on him to endanger any diplomatic relation. biggrin.gif I'm thinking about buying Season 6 soon. Don't know about Stargate Atlantis. From what I've seen of it so far, I don't think I'll be able to get into it.

Especially concerning MASH. When I was active duty in an Air Force hospital .. a double MASH came on at 4-5pm every weekday - shift change time - and the whole hospital settled down to watch MASH ... except the nurses who were exchanging shift notes. This is not unexplainable though considering that this was immediately post-Vietnam and the actual MASH's had been evacced through Germany to our stateside hospitals.

Cool biggrin.gif. The first part, of course, not the war itself.

--------------------

-Falconer
+Quote Post
stargelman
post Apr 9 2008, 05:11 PM
Post #16

Senor Snore
Group Icon

Well, IMHO Claudia Black kind of saves it, but season 9 is still kind of bleh. Season 10 is ok/good because of the characters, not because of the story.

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Apr 9 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #17

Master
Group Icon

My family used to watch the MASH re-runs faithfully after supper every night.... At some point, I kind of got over Hawk-Eye's flawed sanctimony. The show worked best as an ensemble show, with everyone getting some screen time. And there were some really great "concept" programs- like the one from the POV of the soldier who had a fractured larynx and could not talk.

Have to plug "Chuck" again- it is worth a long look- Adam Baldwin is a hoot, the pop-culture references are thick, and Yvonne Strahovski is brilliant as well as beautiful.

Somehow never got hooked into SG-1 or SG-Atlantis, even though they are my kind of programming. Of course, I never went for Babylon 5 or STNG, either....

Have to add my vote for Mythbusters- any program where people have that much fun blowing things up must be good. Especially when you can say, "But it's science!"

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
stargelman
post Apr 10 2008, 07:26 AM
Post #18

Senor Snore
Group Icon

Start with Babylon 5. It's brilliant and in my opinion definitely the best SciFi show ever made, and next to shows like Firefly and Lexx that says a lot. What's special about it is that most of the writing has been done by a single guy (JM Straczinsky) and much of the plot has been planned before the show started. There's a story that spans four seasons and that is very coherent. You see little bits that you can't quite make sense of, and a season later you see something else and you remember those bits and suddendly they make sense...

The characters are much deeper than your average tv show characters. I'll give an example, Centauri ambassador Londo Molari. He's the kind of guy you can (and will) both love and hate, even at the same time. He has very endearing traits, but at the same time does things, terrible horrible things against his own better judgement.

The actors are superb, the dialog writing is top notch. Quite frankly, if you don't watch this show, you're missing out, big time.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Apr 18 2008, 12:01 AM
Post #19

Mage
Group Icon

I'm going to have to add Firefly to my list.... it's incredible. What strikes me as odd is that considering its success in DVD sales, no network has tried to get more filmed, aside from the movie.

--------------------
IPB Image

D�anaim smaoineamh, d� bhr� sin, t�im ann - Descartes

Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. - G.K. Chesterton

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Apr 19 2008, 06:18 AM
Post #20

Councilor
Group Icon

Well, I liked the first season of "The Riches" that came on last year, but the new season kind of sucks. Since it's just close call after close call now, it got unpredictably yet predictably lame.

I really like The Office, been watching that a lot recently. (Got into it kind of late)

I love many of Adult Swim's programs as well:
Metalocalypse (easily my favorite show of all time)
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Venture Bros.
Etc.

there are probably many more, I just can't think of any more right now...

--------------------
"Its when murder is justice that martyrs are made"
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:24 AM