Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Favourite tv series, what's your favourite?
Lord Revan
post Apr 19 2008, 09:07 PM
Post #21

Master
Group Icon

I don't watch network TV really, the exception being the first season of the Sarah Connor Chronicles (I love terminator, no hiding it). Aside from that, I mostly watch Mythbusters, you don't just learn fun stuff, but you also laugh while learning fun stuff.
My mom's started watching John Adams (a series depicting one of America's founding fathers before and after the American Revolution). I've taken to it as well, being somewhat attracted to the controversial nature of that era.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Apr 29 2008, 02:29 PM
Post #22

Master
Group Icon

If you're into mecha. (Giant robots kicking behind, if you want me to be more specific.) I can suggest a couple of series.

Gundam 00 is for those who want plenty of political intrige, some angst and everything getting wrecked. The plot is about some guys who try to stop all wars...by starting a war against the whole world. Yeah, it sounds ridiculous, but everyone else in the anime points that out as well so it works actually.

The characters are pretty good for the most part. Smirnov is my favourite, the only guy who ever got to grab a Gundam's face while piloting something that's worse than the old Zaku II whereas the Gundam in the matter is way above the RX-78-2 in terms of performance. Take that, Char! (He doesn't wear a silly mask either.)

Currently, the first season run has ended and the second season will start in about six months, or so I've heard. This kind of makes the cliffhanger ending a bit frustrating for me, cause I'm not very patient. tongue.gif

For something else, take Full Metal Panic. It's a bit of a weird mixture. On the one hand it tries to be uber-realistic with its mecha (Big noticeable point, no jumpjets.), but on the other hand there are a couple of super-prototypes running around that are pretty much powered by the plot.

Speaking of the plot, it's a bit of a mystery here. So far I've managed to deduce that it's all about some Lambda-driver (used by the plot-powered mecha) and how it can upset the military balance or somesuch.

The characters are all pretty much insane. We've got the mad killer, the socially unskilled super-soldier, the psychic, the child-genius, the alcoholist, the skirtchaser, big sergeant nasty and everything else.

Storywise, Full Metal Panic is an odd mixture. It seems like it can't figure out if its supposed to be an action-fest, or a light comedy. So it basically shoots back and forth, mostly determined by whether or not the current scene has mecha duking it out. Still, it works somehow.

Full Metal Panic has had two seasons of the main thing, and a separate season called Fumoffu. Now Fumoffu is pure comedy, with none of the heavy plot-points being adressed, nor with a continuous storyline.

Finally, there is Macross Frontier. This show has only just begun, so I can't properly give you my opinion on it. But at the moment, it looks pretty good.

Plot: Some sort of colony fleet is going out in space and gets attacked by aliens. That's all I've managed to gather. Sure, sounds basic but that's only background really. The anime actually focusses more on the characters and their own dreams.

The characters are quite deep, though of a different breed than your standard Gundam protagonist. Sure there is onewith a traumatic past. (though I would have never guessed if it wasn't told by another character.) But other than her (and her dad, I suppose), no one seems to have witnessed mass slaughter, tragic disasters and the like in their earlier days. I kinda like that actually.

Guy angsting over falling into a cockpit of big bad mecha and having to pwn through half a thousand nameless grunts to stop the really big planet-devastating gun? Not cool. Guy angsting over his feminine looks, before falling into the cockpit of a big bad mecha and getting owned by random nameless grunt yet still deciding to screw it all and sign up? Damn hardcore. cool.gif

So yeah, the characters are pretty cool imho. And then there is her. That gracefull elegance, that smooth curvy skin, those colourfull eyes, that....VF-25. wub.gif (What, thought I was talking about a girl? No way, I'm a mecha-otaku.)

So, ahem...The mecha in Macross are quite unique and simply gorgeous to look at. They've got three forms generally. Fighter(jet), Battroid (standard humanoid) and Gerwalk (hybrid of the previous two.) Each one seems to be meant for different situations but in essence, this means that Macross excells in giving you fast-paced dogfights with loads of transforming in mid-dodge and all. It really looks amazing. Even if you're not going to watch the series, try to find a Macross dogfight on Youtube or something.

If there is one thing I don't really like, it's Macross' tendency to have someone singing on a stage, while some dogfight is going on in space. So you get constant scene-switches between miss singing and the fighters. While the music flows well with it, I kinda like my battlescenes to be uninterupted, especially if they're so awesome as the ones in Macross.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 25 2016, 08:33 PM
Post #23

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Don´t really have one these days but I loved the X-files back in the day and in recent times (post-2000) I watched Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis with great interest. So much so I got inspired to build my own spaceship out of Lego, while I was watching the show tongue.gif

I also used to watch TBBT, Friends and even the spinoff Joey.

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 26 2016, 10:20 PM
Post #24

Paladin
Group Icon

mirocu, you are a master of necromancy. By that I mean that when you dig up an old thread, the topic is always still relevant and you manage to breathe life into it. goodjob.gif

I've never been a huge TV fan and, these days, what little I watch is generally news or perhaps snips of what Mrs Acadian might be watching that I catch as I make myself a coffee.

I must confess that reality TV mystifies me. I can't for the life of me discern the draw of boring people doing boring things when fantasy is ever so much more fun.

That all said, when I think about various TV series that I have enjoyed over the years, I think Murder She Wrote is either close to or at the top of my short list. Of course, anything touched by Angela Lansbury is pure magic.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Apr 26 2016, 11:49 PM
Post #25

Master
Group Icon

Game of Thrones.

Good show.... Except all the characters I liked are dead kvright.gif

--------------------
And yet I am, and liveā€”like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass belowā€”above the vaulted sky.ā€¯
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 26 2016, 11:57 PM
Post #26

Master
Group Icon

I've not had cable in decades. The only broadcast TV available to me are local ABC and NBC affiliates, plus several PBS stations. I used to like PBS quite a lot but think it's gone downhill compared to what is was years ago. There's still occasion good stuff, but I can find as good or better at YouTube. As for commercial TV, yuk! So called reality-TV holds no appeal. Neither do celebrity vanity shows. Seems like the bulk of TV these days is those plus gods-awful infomercials. I no longer trust traditional news media to give us unbiased factual reporting. That leaves the weather, which is in my opinion the one area where TV provides an honest and worthwhile service.

There are exceptions to the above, though I don't get to see them unless they eventually make it to a disc format or YouTube. Game of Thrones ain't half bad. Neither was Rome. I understand Vikings is pretty good but have no exposure to it.

Now, if we're talking ye olden days I could list a goodly number of enjoyable TV series, all the way from season one of the George Reeve "Superman" to "Star Trek: The Next Generation". (These two, more or less, bookend the period I actively watched broadcast TV.) I think they hold up quite well today, though I suspect a number of shows I might mention don't.

I've watched a lot of "What's My Line" episodes on YouTube lately, and enjoy 'em immensely. As I recall, that show premiered the year before I was born and lasted into the sixties. I was too young to appreciate it back then, though do recall it being played on our TV set.

On the other hand, I got a big kick out of "Laugh In" during its initial run. If watched today I simply can't fathom what I once saw in the show. It has NOT aged well.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Apr 27 2016, 12:00 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 27 2016, 06:55 AM
Post #27

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Apr 26 2016, 11:20 PM) *

mirocu, you are a master of necromancy.

I have to be careful though so I don´t end up in the line of sight of Lothran. He´s been on a necrodude hunt lately rollinglaugh.gif

How could I forget to mention Gold Rush, Deadliest Catch, British Antique Roadshow and A Place In the Sun: Home or Away with Jonnie Irwin and Jasmine Harman. Had a little crush on Jasmine there, I had... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 27 2016, 04:59 PM
Post #28

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Apr 26 2016, 06:49 PM) *

Game of Thrones.

I am also not big on watching television; but this past weekend I watched the whole series of Game of Thrones - Comcast had a free weekend of HBO.

It is the best thing I've seen in decades! The acting is so stunningly perfect that you never realize you are watching actors/acting. It feels like you are there, immersed; and a part of what is happening. Everyone's performance is so spot on that every single character is completely believable in their role as if it were actually real/really happening.

It has an impact with the viewer deep within, in the same way "Braveheart" did on first viewing; as if you are actually seeing history unfold in front of you; but with Game of Thrones it takes place in a fantasy realm (like Tamriel) - in fact, the setting feels more like Tamriel than anything I've found that wasn't Tamriel itself.

And SubRosa said a while back that the "Little Imp" stole the story - she was right. His character was so compelling and interesting that I couldn't wait to see his scenes. His character is the most in depth character I have ever seen on any film or read about in any book. He is the best portrayal of an anti-hero who has heroism thrust on him that I've ever seen; and so believable in it that you feel everything he is feeling as he struggles through and emerges on the other side each time.

What I loved most about it is that it is written in so many shades of gray. The villains are not moustache twirlers; they are so human that sometimes you find yourself siding with them and feeling empathy - or sometimes even find yourself liking them despite knowing their past actions.

A HUGELY inspirational storyline and show!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Apr 27 2016, 09:34 PM
Post #29

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 27 2016, 04:59 PM) *

I am also not big on watching television; but this past weekend I watched the whole series of Game of Thrones - Comcast had a free weekend of HBO.

It is the best thing I've seen in decades! The acting is so stunningly perfect that you never realize you are watching actors/acting. It feels like you are there, immersed; and a part of what is happening. Everyone's performance is so spot on that every single character is completely believable in their role as if it were actually real/really happening.

It has an impact with the viewer deep within, in the same way "Braveheart" did on first viewing; as if you are actually seeing history unfold in front of you; but with Game of Thrones it takes place in a fantasy realm (like Tamriel) - in fact, the setting feels more like Tamriel than anything I've found that wasn't Tamriel itself.

And SubRosa said a while back that the "Little Imp" stole the story - she was right. His character was so compelling and interesting that I couldn't wait to see his scenes. His character is the most in depth character I have ever seen on any film or read about in any book. He is the best portrayal of an anti-hero who has heroism thrust on him that I've ever seen; and so believable in it that you feel everything he is feeling as he struggles through and emerges on the other side each time.

What I loved most about it is that it is written in so many shades of gray. The villains are not moustache twirlers; they are so human that sometimes you find yourself siding with them and feeling empathy - or sometimes even find yourself liking them despite knowing their past actions.

A HUGELY inspirational storyline and show!
Yes, Game of Thrones is amazing. I started years ago I believe when season 2 was ending. I began rewatching it with my lady. We started last week. We're at the last episode of season 2. I'm all caught up but she's new to it. She loves Tyrion as well. That's her favorite character. I like The Hound and Jaime Lannister, personally.

The show, despite the amount of violence among other things, has a very colorful cast of characters who are very well-developed. What drew me despite it being in a fantasy medieval-like setting was the characters. Not good or evil like many shows and movies portray but human enough to have their own goals and motivations. Granted some are just plain sick and psychotic like Joffrey and Ramsay Snow/Bolton.

Tyrion is easily the most amusing character because of his humor, bravery and wit. Now I confess beside the Hound or Jaime, I really like Jon Snow. Once a broody character who developed into a well-intentioned young honorable man who saw the big picture.

On the latter . . . Jaime Lannister fits this quite nicely. I mentioned before how

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 28 2016, 12:31 AM
Post #30

Ancient
Group Icon

I am also hoping the spoiler about Jon Snow comes true, but am unsure if he will be the same or if she will seed him with evil like she did her last victim client.

When everyone knows she is using dark magic and necromancy; not sure why an honorable group who is fighting all that she is (would use her to save one of their own).

But if it does happen, I plan to watch Ghost's reactions to him as a gauge, lol.

They did try to clear Jaime's name on killing that mad king, but I never faulted him for that because everyone knew the king was mad.

But

But that said, I also loved the scenes with that female knight where he

But even before that happened, he was the only one in the family who genuinely cared about The Imp, so he did have redeemable qualities; and maybe it was his sister's influence that was fueling his evil side. She is one nasty britch, that is for sure.

One of my favorite characters is "The Mother of Dragons." I love her!

IPB Image

This post has been edited by mALX: Apr 28 2016, 01:32 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Apr 28 2016, 08:57 AM
Post #31

Councilor
Group Icon

Wow, a nearly 8 year necro? Maybe you need to change your name to ManniMirocu laugh.gif

As for my favourite tv series, I'd have to go with Vikings biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Callidus Thorn: Apr 28 2016, 09:04 AM

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Apr 30 2016, 06:23 PM
Post #32

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 28 2016, 12:31 AM) *

I am also hoping the spoiler about Jon Snow comes true, but am unsure if he will be the same or if she will seed him with evil like she did her last victim client.

When everyone knows she is using dark magic and necromancy; not sure why an honorable group who is fighting all that she is (would use her to save one of their own).

But if it does happen, I plan to watch Ghost's reactions to him as a gauge, lol.

They did try to clear Jaime's name on killing that mad king, but I never faulted him for that because everyone knew the king was mad.

But

But that said, I also loved the scenes with that female knight where he

But even before that happened, he was the only one in the family who genuinely cared about The Imp, so he did have redeemable qualities; and maybe it was his sister's influence that was fueling his evil side. She is one nasty britch, that is for sure.

One of my favorite characters is "The Mother of Dragons." I love her!

IPB Image

Well, there are many characters in the books and in the tv show who don't turn out the same. Beric Dondarrion was resurrected six times, and each time he loses part of himself. Likewise, in the books, Lady Stoneheart is devoid of all human warmth and compassion. She's a vengeful shell out to kill anyone involved in the Red Wedding. I think Snow will probably be somewhat different.

Losing his hand certainly did bring out the better in him. Sadly it took a good deed to lose that hand. I fear in season 6 he'll fall back to his old tendencies ever since the Walk of Shame. Being around his sister will bring out the worst in him. No doubt about that. He's in love with her and does not see how she's using him. Tyrion the Imp isn't around, and I don't think it'll be a happy reunion if he comes back given the events with their father.

The actor Nicolau just basically said we first see Jaime in the point where he starts making bad decisions. Doesn't excuse them, yeah, but he still has done a few great deeds. Going back to save Brienne, also keeping her from being taken by those men, also saving those people. Giving her the sword to save the Stark girls, too. He's a darker shade of grey.

Theon Greyjoy/Reek is probably the most tragic one. Made terrible choices that are understandable, and paid dearly for them.

Oh yes, Dany is great. Still making me impatient. I want her to go home.

Drogon got big since the first season.

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 30 2016, 09:03 PM
Post #33

Ancient
Group Icon

Well, I think Jaime is a lighter shade of gray the longer he spends away from his sister; but being around her seems to change him (brings out the worst in him that he is capable of).

This post has been edited by mALX: Apr 30 2016, 09:08 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post May 1 2016, 05:49 AM
Post #34

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Apr 26 2016, 04:49 PM) *

Game of Thrones.

Yeah if not for that last bit I'd probably enjoy it too...

The last TV show I watched was Dr. Who. Quite enjoyable, but I'm nowhere near current on it.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 1 2016, 04:12 PM
Post #35

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ May 1 2016, 12:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Apr 26 2016, 04:49 PM) *

Game of Thrones.

Yeah if not for that last bit I'd probably enjoy it too...

The last TV show I watched was Dr. Who. Quite enjoyable, but I'm nowhere near current on it.

KC !!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT !!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post May 2 2016, 03:14 PM
Post #36

Master
Group Icon

King Coin!

Also... Speaking of dead characters... Jon Snow....
mALX!!! I knew it!!!!

Melisandre! I love her! Sort of!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 2 2016, 06:32 PM
Post #37

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ May 2 2016, 10:14 AM) *

King Coin!

Also... Speaking of dead characters... Jon Snow....
mALX!!! I knew it!!!!

Melisandre! I love her! Sort of!

We should start a "Game of Thrones" thread under the General forum - one with spoilers so we can openly discuss!!!

Yes, I thought of you immediately when

This post has been edited by mALX: May 2 2016, 06:34 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post May 2 2016, 09:15 PM
Post #38

Master
Group Icon

We should start a thread!

"Powers long asleep are waking and moving through the land. I has seen them in his flames and, [censored], even with my own two eyes. The Lord of Light is real, and if he is real then all of it is real. Man once again faces the war for the dawn, which has been waged since time began. On one side is the Lord of Light, the heart of fire, the god of flame and shadow. Against him stands the Great Other, whose name may not be spoken. The lord of darkness, the soul of ice, the god of night and terror. According to prophecy, R'hllor's champion will be reborn.[/quote]

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 3 2016, 02:16 AM
Post #39

Ancient
Group Icon

Isn't WOO HOO !!!

This post has been edited by mALX: May 3 2016, 02:19 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 3 2016, 02:59 AM
Post #40

Ancient
Group Icon

Oh, and the R + L = J - I just got this = AHA! Yes, I think you are right on that, because

Darn, I really wish I had the books !!!! Because I'd love to see where the Author saw everything going!

This is AWESOME !!!

This post has been edited by mALX: May 3 2016, 02:56 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:22 AM