10 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Morrowind, A fanfic
Alexander
post Mar 1 2008, 09:43 PM
Post #1

Wizard
Group Icon

Another fanfic about Morrowind you must be asking yourself? Do we really need yet another one? I've asked myself the same question tongue.gif
As some of you might know I tried a hand at writing some two+ years back, resulting in two chapters of something I didn't really like looking back. Though even back then, I'd had the idea for another, a different fanfiction.

For some reason despite the fact that I was very much convinced I was not a good writer, this idea stayed with me through all this time and kept nagging at me. Then early this year I decided to simply give it a go again, and the result is something I'm actually quite fond of. This is the result.

It's a fan fiction about Morrowind, set in the time after the events in the game Morrowind but before the events in Oblivion. It's told from the perspective of three people who play a large part in Morrowind's future, at least the future I've created with some parts told by other characters.

As you'll notice, some events in chapters start a little while before the end of the past chapters, just a heads up there.

And lastly, before I bore you all to death with my rants wink.gif I'd just like to extend a very large thank you, firstly to everyone who ever read "Alexander in Morrowind" and told me it was good (whether they meant it or not tongue.gif ) and second a very special thank you to Treydog who sacrificed quite a bit of his spare time in order to proof read this story, and who played the role of Editor for me. I'm very grateful for that.

Now, on to the story.

The year is 3E 432 many things have changed since the return of the lord Nerevar, and even more things are changing. Four Great Houses have a new head. The Tribunal gods are slain. Temple doctrine is falling and failing rapidly. Oppression of other faiths has been removed. Many rumours float around, rumours of things unheard of in the very near past; The lord Nerevar wants to abolish slavery, Indoril generals are taking bribes and forsaking their honour, some or all of the Tribunal gods were killed by the lord Nerevar, the lord Nerevar used the powers of the heart of Lorkhan to make himself immortal and godlike, secret cults are rising in Cyrodiil, Imperial legions are being recalled to Cyrodiil to quell the unrest, king Helseth poisoned the last king, Mehrunes Dagon has come to earth in the guise of queen Barenziah, Sheogorath has started a love affair with Azura, Bosmer everywhere are planning the end of the world, Orcs have taken to worshiping Khajiit instead of Malacath.

Some rumours are a bit wilder then others of course, but if only half of them are true the future promises to be spectacular.

This story starts in Ebonheart, in the Grand Council chambers where the lord Nerevar is preparing for what could be the most important council meeting in many years.

--------------------
All that is needed for evil to triumph, is that good men stand idle.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Mar 1 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #2

Wizard
Group Icon

Chapter 1. Change, for better or worse.

It did not take a keen eye to see lord Nerevar was troubled. And Varvur was most definitely keen of eye. Having been born a nobleman, he had studied with the some of the best warriors of his time. His entire life had been spent training to become a superior warrior, and so he was overjoyed when not a month past he’d been asked to become the new bodyguard of lord Nerevar. So glad he was of being able to finally help the lord Nerevar after everything he’d done for him and his family, having risked life and limb to save Varvur from the old Arch master. It was almost enough to forget the circumstances leading up to it his appointment to this prestigious post. The old bodyguard had turned out to be a spy, and ended his own life before anyone could find out who he was working for. Rumours still swirled that people in Nerevar’s own house wanted him dead. But no matter, Varvur was here now and would do what he could to protect lord Nerevar from harm. On the day he’d first come in he had promised to give his life for lord Nerevar.

But thankfully it wouldn’t come to that. In a small while lord Nerevar would preside over the Grand Council meeting where he would proclaim judgement on the dishonourable Indoril. Last night he’d confided in Varvur. “Finally,” he’d said, “finally I know who’s been behind all this from the start.” Of course Varvur had offered to go after the wicked men or man himself and bring them to justice before the lord, but Nerevar would have none of it. “I fear Varvur, this one is beyond your grasp. No, it’s better to wait until the morrow where I proclaim him guilty before the Grand Council. What better occasion than this, where I rid the realm of both slavery and at least a major part of its corruption.”

And now that time was nearly upon them; outside Varvur could hear heralds introducing each representative of the Houses. It sounded somehow alien to him; back when Varvur had been young he’d accompanied his father once to such a meeting and could still remember being impressed with the mighty trumpets and fanfare so common to the Imperial heralds. Of course now the heralds were no longer Imperials, didn’t even belong to the Legion. Most of the Legion had left Morrowind some few months back. Apparently whatever it was that was happening in Cyrodiil, it wasn’t good. When so many of the Legions were recalled, not just from Morrowind, but lord Nerevar had said it was happening in all provinces, something big must be happening. Varvur remember when the news had come that duke Dren and almost all of the Legions would leave Morrowind. Many reactions could be heard. Some older Redoran nobles were pleased and said this was the time for Morrowind to become independent again. Other, and so Varvur believed, smarter people assumed this would only be the start of trouble, not just in Cyrodiil but in Morrowind as well. Trouble that was serious enough to merit the recall of the Legions would not be likely to confine itself to just one part of the Empire.

Varvur closed the door and was just able to hear the herald calling the name of the Telvanni representative for this meeting, Baladas Demnevanni himself. The man who had been so helpful to lord Nerevar when he came to him with questions about the lost Dwemer. The newly installed Telvanni master and Wizard lord of Sadrith Mora. Neloth, the former master of that city had of course been killed by lord Nerevar when he refused his support.. Baladas had been called to rule Sadrith Mora and had offered his home and all in it to lord Nerevar, both for creating the opportunity for Baladas to move up, and to give him a quiet home away from the crowds, duties and most of all spies and assassins.

“It is nearly time to go, master.” Lord Nerevar looked up; he’d been deep in thought again. Varvur could only imagine what it must be like to have to tell the world that those who should have been most loyal to you were in fact the same people who wanted you dead. “Yes, I suppose it is time. Come Varvur, and remember, change never comes easily, and what is but a small step to some, can be the hardest thing ever for another. At least after tonight, for good or evil, everything will be out in the open.”

Lord Nerevar walked to the door and slowly opened it. As befit his position, Varvur walked one pace behind his lord, watching both front and back. As they slowly made their way down the stairs to the Council chamber, and heralds were calling the name and titles of lord Nerevar, Varvur heard his lord whisper, “How I wish Dren was still here”. Varvur was tempted to say lord Nerevar shouldn’t worry, as he was there to protect him, but nearly as soon as the thought came to him, he realised how conceited that would have sounded. Comparing himself to a duke would definitely not be honourable.

Before them he saw the chamber. Representatives of all the Great Houses were on their feet to welcome lord Nerevar, servants rushed to fill the cups of all of them, heralds finished with their job and now standing idly along the walls of the chamber alongside Indoril guards. At the far side of the chamber he saw the captain of the guard and nodded at him in greeting. Something was missing Varvur realised. Helseth! He should have been here; Varvur himself had sent out the invitation to Helseth asking him to attend the meeting. Helseth had been ill the last few meetings, though some whispered he’d been trying his best to avoid lord Nerevar. He should have been here, Varvur thought. He’d only been present during one meeting between Helseth and lord Nerevar and it was apparent even to a blind Netch that the two loathed each other. There would likely be another apology on the morrow from Helseth, saying how sorry he was for not being able to be there but something so urgent came up. Well, he’d heard those excuses before, and knew just how insincere they truly were.

Varvur moved towards the table; he had insisted to lord Nerevar that he taste any food or drink first before his lord did. What good would it do to be ever present, watchful for an attack and then have lord Nerevar die from poison? The comberry juice appeared to have been made very recently. It certainly didn’t taste odd. Though speaking of odd, that was another thing about lord Nerevar- he hardly ever drank alcohol. Always some water, or comberry juice. It drove some hosts crazy, though most were only too happy to please lord Nerevar.

“Gentlemen and lady,” Nerevar spoke, “I propose a toast, a toast to the future and to change, for without it none of us would be here.” At the far side of the table, Baladas loudly spoke, “Here, here.” There was something about him that always made Varvur cautious. While he knew the Telvanni was a friend of his lord, Varvur had never been easy around Wizards. A cousin of his had once been kidnapped by a Wizard, before Nerevar had persuaded him to release the girl. Varvur remembered the stories when she came home, but even before then. Everything in his upbringing had been about what he could see, paying attention to his surroundings, knowing what went on all the time, but how can you know what goes on when you’re not even sure if some Wizard is invisible inside the very room? How can you prepare for a fireball or lightning bolt coming at you from miles away? Just thinking about it gave Varvur the creeps.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post Mar 1 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #3

Knower
Group Icon

I liked the first chapter. Anything involving politics is great in my book, and meetings like this one featured here, with the major leaders of Morrowind, are always great fun to observe. The various personalities that participate, always make these meetings a unique way to flesh out your characters, both villains and heroes.

So far, I like this Varvur. He seems to be the typical bodyguard character, always looking out for his master's safety. I'm sure he has more to him than that. My own Arthago is pretty similar to Varvur in that aspect, he might appear as simply Lhotun's strong-arm, but he has much more to his personality than that, as I'm sure those who have followed my fan fic have noticed.

In all sincerity (tongue.gif) I think we have a possibly great fan fic on our hands. I expect to see how the council meeting will go, eagerly.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Mar 1 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #4

Master
Group Icon

So Alexander, stepping up to the plate once again eh? So far, things are looking good. I especially like the time period you've established as the ability to do whatever you want is basically there and there are certainly many questions that could've been asked after Dagoth Ur was defeated.

And to leave us right away with a cliff hanger, how cruel! I wanna know who this traitor is!

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Mar 1 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #5

Wizard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Agent Griff @ Mar 1 2008, 10:05 PM) *

In all sincerity (tongue.gif) I think we have a possibly great fan fic on our hands. I expect to see how the council meeting will go, eagerly.

hehe, thanks :-)

QUOTE(The Metal Mallet @ Mar 1 2008, 10:12 PM) *

And to leave us right away with a cliff hanger, how cruel! I wanna know who this traitor is!

Well, the entire story is already finished actually, so I plan on updating this every day with about two word pages worth of text. So you'll find out soon wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
milanius
post Mar 1 2008, 11:27 PM
Post #6

Agent

Decay, hopelessness, decline of empires, betrayal. I love it.

My forgotten "Prelude to Oblivion" was also based on presumption that all things must come to an end - not a happy end, of course.

--------------------
Zlo činiti od zla se braneći,
tu zločinstva nema nikakvoga

Petar II Petrovic Njegos
(1813-1851)
+Quote Post
Olen
post Mar 2 2008, 12:22 AM
Post #7

Mouth
Group Icon

Nice stuff. Quite a subtle opener, I'll certainly be reading those updates.

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Mar 2 2008, 11:37 AM
Post #8

Wizard
Group Icon

Now he knew it was time. Lord Nerevar was about to start the meeting and he wouldn’t take it slow. He was going to start off by abolishing slavery and then name those traitors who were trying to start so much trouble in Morrowind, those who had been behind the spy turned bodyguard, or was it the other way around?

“Representatives of your respective houses, it’s so good to see you all here on a historic day. I realise many rumours have been floating around these past few weeks since our last meeting. In the past, whenever slavery has come up, some of you and many of my other advisors have said slavery is simply a part of Morrowind’s traditions. To take it away would be to ruin Morrowind, plantations would go unattended, nearly a quarter of our population would leave, the economy would crash and Morrowind would be in ruins. While I realise all of you wish what is best for Morrowind, so do I.”

“How can we call ourselves civilised while at a meeting like this, when we go home to Argonians and Khajiit, no less then us, slaving away all day long in the hot sun on plantations or in the darkness of the mines. Some of them having been born on those same plantations, to parents captured and taken here, some of them taken themselves with families back home in Elsweyr or Black Marsh, or sometimes not at all when the men who took them killed their parents, or their children because they were too old, or too young to be sold into slavery.”

“I’ve seen slaves killed for trying to run away, tortured for standing up to one who killed their fellow for being too old to work, blinded for looking at a guard the wrong way. And of course we all know why no one ever sees young Khajiit and Argonians, don’t we?” At that Varvur saw quite a few of the councillors look away in embarrassment.

“This ends now, I say. I will no longer stand for this. Councillors, hear my words and mark them carefully, will ye or nill ye: henceforth, keeping slaves is forbidden. At the end of this meeting you shall return to your houses, and spread the word. Exactly one week from now, every slave must be set free. Their bracelets will be removed, and if they so require, their former owner must supply them with enough money and goods to be able to return to their province of origin.”

“Any man or woman who, after hearing this, so much as touches a slave without their consent will be punished as if he laid an ill-intended hand on my own person. Any former slaver who strikes a newly freed slave will be taken by the local magistrate and whipped in the town square of the town closest to their home. Hear me and hear me carefully, slavery is from this moment forward, until the very end of rimes, abolished in Morrowind.”

Varvur knew that if he’d dropped a needle, he would have been able to hear it fall. Everyone in the room was quiet. Most were looking sullenly but he could clearly see Baladas and Ilmeni Dren, newly introduced councillor of the Redoran, smile. Balen Omal of House Dres looked especially annoyed. Who could blame him though, when most of his House’s fortune relied on the very thing just abolished.

Just then the door to the Council chambers opened with a loud crash. Everywhere in the room Varvur saw guards reaching for their weapons and on instinct he did the same. Men rushed at the door to stop whoever it was that forced his way in like this. Servants scattered, Councillors either drew their weapons and advanced on the door, or stood silently muttering phrases to incantations. Varvur found himself on the other side of the table faster then he could remember moving before and was ready to fend off any threat.

But as swift as the tension had risen, Varvur felt himself relaxing again, for there in the door stood but one person, the jester who had recently washed ashore. A small Mer, even for a Bosmer, he took to wearing fancy and very colourful clothes and was obviously simpleminded. He limped into the chambers, wearing his hat with bells ringing and clutching his juggling balls protectively. They were the only things with him when he’d been found by one of the healers of the Imperial Cult, or, well the only healer of the cult that remained in Ebonheart. The jester had been found with nothing else, not even clothing on his back. And even now, some few weeks later, no one had even so much as been able to find out what he was called. All he seemed to want to do was juggle his balls. Some said they’d seen him at night juggling cats, but most people assumed those were just silly rumours.

This time though he did not have his usual smile, instead he looked terrified at all the weapons drawn on him and everyone who stood menacingly around him. It was the Captain of the Guard finally who gave the order for men to sheath their weapons again and who helped the jester up. He gently coerced him out of the chambers assuring him that no one wanted to hurt him or take away his balls, that he’d only come at a bad time.
After the door was closed and people were returning to their seats, it was lord Nerevar who spoke.

“Well, that was certainly.. interesting. Heh, I’m sure he never considered any time could be a bad time for cat juggling.“ Everyone in the room laughed. Varvur had noticed lord Nerevar always knew what to say to take the tension away from people. “Now then, on to more pressing matters. Councillors, what I’m about to speak on next will come as a surprise to some of you, but not to all.” Lord Nerevar paused to drink from his cup. “This past month I’ve been looking into many events of the past few years and have found evidence of corruption in every house, and on every level.” Lord Nerevar paused as if thinking how to continue; standing behind him Varvur was unable to see his eyes, but from the expressions of the councillors closest by, something appeared to be amiss. Then Varvur saw lord Nerevar bend his head slightly and look down at his cup, and knew at once he’d made a terrible mistake. He rushed forward and was just in time to catch Nerevar when he crashed to the ground. Turning him around, Varvur looked into the eyes of the man who had saved him from certain death, the man whom he had sworn to protect or die trying, and from the vacant stare, knew that he had failed. He’d forgotten one of the basic things he had been taught; when there’s a crowd, don’t just look at the busy place, never forget to look at the quiet places as well.

Around him Varvur heard voices, many voices casting healing spells, calling for a healer, praying to one god or another, but all Varvur could do was stare into those now vacant eyes.

--------------------
+Quote Post
minque
post Mar 2 2008, 02:31 PM
Post #9

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ahhh Alex my friend! So good to see another great piece of writing from you. This is really a very good start, I notice you use dear Varvur as one of your "specials" That pleases me a great deal. Your interpretation of Varv differs from mine, and that makes it intriguing. I'm glad to hear you'll be updating frequently.....

S.G.M

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Alexander
post Mar 2 2008, 06:51 PM
Post #10

Wizard
Group Icon

Chapter 2. Losing a friend.

Baladas Demnevanni knew he’d remember that moment for the rest of his life. The day had started normally enough, if you could call any council meeting with former enemies normal. Slavery was gone, abolished. Well there was no surprise there; Divayth Fyr had told him after the last council meeting that this would come. And even before that, since first meeting lord Nerevar, Baladas knew it was only a matter of time before he made this ruling. Baladas himself had not kept slaves for many centuries. He assumed none who had even spoken to Divayth Fyr, really spoken to him, would have wanted to keep slaves afterwards. So, slavery had been abolished, and then all of a sudden with a big bang the door had swung inwards.

He assumed, just as most people would, that after so many peaceful council meetings, the peace would be disturbed by an attack. But the tension left quickly dissipated. It had only been the silly Jester with bad timing. Everything settled down again, but then just as lord Nerevar was starting on his next item, corruption, he fell quiet and a look of both shock and surprise crossed his face. Baladas knew something was wrong; the moment he saw that look he knew something had happened. And then, when lord Nerevar had looked down to his cup, Baladas knew. He didn’t want to know, he didn’t want to even consider it, but he knew all the same. Lord Nerevar had been poisoned and would not live another hour.

As lord Nerevar was falling to the floor, Baladas saw the lord’s bodyguard rush forward to try and catch him. He was rising at the same moment, chanting incantations of healing and rushed forward, pushed Ilmeni out of the way and knelt above lord Nerevar. He cast his spell, and then another, and then yet another, but lord Nerevar did not so much as stir. Baladas stood up, looking down at lord Nerevar, still clutched by his bodyguard.

He hadn’t felt this powerless since being trained by Divayth Fyr, many centuries before, but right now he did feel helpless and powerless. If only he’d been more attentive; any retainer could have seen through this diversion, but he a true Telvanni master had fallen for it; hook, line and sinker. How he would be able to return to Divayth and explain how he’d allowed such a good friend to die, while he was in the same room, he did not know.

He also didn’t know how long he’d stood there; he saw the bodyguard finally letting go of the body of his lord, and that the priests were already casting spells to preserve the body. He noticed the glazed over look in the guard’s eyes, and he also saw Ilmeni look at him. With a determined stride the guard walked out of the chambers, apparently heading towards his own room. Ilmeni was fast trailing behind him, calling his name, but the guard didn’t seem to hear her.

Baladas was torn; he was pretty sure what the guard was going to do, and on one hand he did not mind at all, good riddance to a bad bodyguard. On the other hand however, it was the son of the Redoran Grandmaster and if he could do the Redoran a favour, who knew what it would be good for in the coming, sure to be trying, months.

His instinct was correct; as he walked into the room of the guard, he saw him with a blade in his hand, obviously intent on cutting himself. Ilmeni was trying desperately to use all of her weight to hold back the one hand holding the dagger. Baladas quickly stepped forward and held on to the arm as well. At the same time he muttered an easy spell, and the guard relaxed his body all at once. A simple sleep spell was often enough to take out even an experienced warrior, especially when the warrior was unprepared.

Taking the blade away from him, he helped Ilmeni put him to bed. Ilmeni thanked him, of course, though she also managed to stay as far away from him as she could without appearing impolite. It wasn’t something Baladas was surprised at. There were but a few people in Morrowind who felt confident enough to be in the same room with someone the likes of him, or Divayth Fyr, or some others he could name. Oh well, if that was the price of power, Baladas was more then willing to pay it.

Leaving the late lord Nerevar’s bodyguard in his bed, with Ilmeni watching over him, and after promising he would send Ilmeni’s servants to her if he should happen to see one, Baladas returned to the council chambers. They had removed the body of lord Nerevar; it was probably already lying on the Imperial Cult altar downstairs. At the long table two priests were trying to bewitch the cup Nerevar had been drinking from. Likely they were trying to determine what poison had been in the juice and track down the perpetrator that way. At the other side of the room, the Captain of the guards here in Ebonheart and the Dres representative, a Vizier by the looks of it, were questioning the guards. Baladas knew that would prove fruitless. He’d been at the back, looking at all the guards and most of the servants, they’d all been looking at the door and had all seen the same thing. They had also turned back around at the same time. No, nothing would come from that.

Baladas also knew he would have to bring word of this to Divayth Fyr as soon as possible, but leaving now would appear suspicious to say the least. It was a well-known fact that Telvanni didn’t shy away from using poisons to get ahead in their house. Instead, he turned to the two priests examining the cup and offered them his assistance. Again, that apprehensive look shot his way; under different circumstances it might have brought him joy, but not now. The priests agreed, and Baladas waited until the priests had tried what they could, and then cast his own spells.

He spent the better part of the afternoon casting spells on that dreaded cup; in the end he was nearly ready to throw the entire thing out the window. For some reason, none of his spells, and none of the priests’ spells, gave them any information. No poison presented itself, no anomaly was detected; for all they could tell it was pure and 100% Comberry juice. The only thing Baladas could think of to explain this was that somehow the poison must have been added before the Juice was made, perhaps as early as when the ingredients were growing on the land, maybe in the water used to water them. That would certainly make it appear as if no alien substance was present, if nothing was added but the juice itself, his best spells would be useless.

He was taken out of his ponderings by the Captain of the guards who came up to him and asked him the same questions he’d been asking people all afternoon.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post Mar 2 2008, 08:18 PM
Post #11

Knower
Group Icon

Hm, using the jester as a diversion was a cunning move. I liked the desperation described in the council chambers afterwards and how you detail the expression of the councilors as they listen to Nerevar's reforms. Great work thus far. Spewing out updates like a machine gun though, can be a little daunting for readers. I've learned that the hard way.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Mar 2 2008, 09:18 PM
Post #12

Agent

Ahh! But readers enjoy this if they read behind the machine gun and in a bunker! no?

A genius story if you ask me! So please ask!
The death of Lord Nerevar was absolutely perfect! Such tragedy tied in with the poor bodyguard. It was GENIUS!!!

You used the different perspectives skillfully and I applaud that greatly. I never read a story that had be hooked on chapter 1. But! You have!!! I can't wait for more!

By the way, if you want to drop a bomb instead of shooting sing shots, that is fine with me! lol
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Mar 2 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #13

Wizard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Agent Griff @ Mar 2 2008, 08:18 PM) *

Spewing out updates like a machine gun though, can be a little daunting for readers. I've learned that the hard way.

Well, the story is already finished and over a hundred pages. So if I update it twice daily, with two pages each time, I figure in about 25 days the entire story will be here. I don't want to draw it out too long smile.gif

QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 2 2008, 09:18 PM) *

By the way, if you want to drop a bomb instead of shooting sing shots, that is fine with me! lol

hehe, nope, no bombs in my story happy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
milanius
post Mar 2 2008, 10:28 PM
Post #14

Agent

QUOTE(Alexander @ Mar 2 2008, 09:40 PM) *

nope, no bombs in my story

awwww :'(

--------------------
Zlo činiti od zla se braneći,
tu zločinstva nema nikakvoga

Petar II Petrovic Njegos
(1813-1851)
+Quote Post
minque
post Mar 2 2008, 11:12 PM
Post #15

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ahaaa....hmmm...so Lord Nerevar's story ended that way? Interesting I may say! I'm so glad updates will come rapidly, 'cause this will be an interesting plot, can't wait 'til the morrow when next chapter will be up!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
treydog
post Mar 3 2008, 01:29 AM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

I am very glad that Alexander decided to return to writing; this story is quite a masterpiece. The varied points of view make for a fascinating narrative structure, given that each person brings their own perspective and history to the events that they observe. It was an honor to be asked to proof this work; and any typos, spelling, or punctuation errors are my own.

Fine work, Alexander

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Mar 3 2008, 03:32 AM
Post #17

Master
Group Icon

Wow, I wasn't expecting a successful assassination attempt. This certainly changes things and it's going to provide a neat twist for the rest of this tale. Excellent work.

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Mar 3 2008, 09:18 AM
Post #18

Wizard
Group Icon

“Do you remember what you saw? Explain exactly what you saw. Was there anything out of the ordinary, anything unusual?”

And by the looks of the Captain, Baladas was right in assuming he was adding nothing new, and that everyone before him had said the same thing, because the Captain finished questioning him after only a few minutes. He was told the funeral would be held, as custom dictated, in four days time. He was also asked to bring the news to Great House Telvanni; all of the representatives were expected to inform their Houses of the events that had transpired there today.

That was what Baladas had feared most. Divayth always seemed like an even- tempered man, and most of the time he was, but sometimes he could react to something with a fury that would send a Daedra prince running. He remembered the story told by Felen Maryon, another old apprentice of Divayth’s, how Divayth had come to Tel Branora after he heard how Therana had insulted lord Nerevar when he asked to be named Hortator. It wasn’t pretty, and afterwards there was very little left of Therana to bury.

What would Baladas do if that fury should be turned on him? What could he do against the powerful master Fyr? Nothing most likely. Should Fyr become upset and take it out on him, there was nothing Baladas could do but die. And perhaps that was more than he deserved, he who had let something happen to lord Nerevar.

“Well, better get it over with,” he muttered to himself and chanted the words that would bring him to Tel Fyr.

He did not arrive inside Tel Fyr; Divayth had warded the tower so strongly that only those who possessed items Divayth Fyr himself had enchanted with Recall could teleport inside. Baladas looked at the door to the Tel. Opening it, he walked into the Tel, greeted Beyte Fyr, who was cooking downstairs and then turned to the right. Walking up, entered the Hall of Fyr, flew up to the first floor and went into the left room.

He stopped for a moment; ahead of him at the table he saw Divayth, but it would seem he was not alone. Three people were sitting at the table. On the left side he saw Divayth Fyr in his Daedric armor and radiating power, truly an impressive sight. But on the right side sat a figure no less impressive, Dhaunayne Aundae, Ancient of the Vampire clan Aundae, one of few people who might actually be older then Divayth Fyr. But what really got his attention was the figure sitting in the center. He was wearing a black robe, black gloves and his entire head was covered by a black hood. Baladas believed from the shape of his body that it was likely a man, very tall and powerfully built. But what most excited his interest was the power he felt. If Divayth looked powerful, this figure was absolutely radiating with it. Every pore of the man seemed to be oozing with pure power, and Baladas knew that anyone attuned to the aura of magic could likely become intoxicated with it just from standing next to that hooded figure.

It took all of his power, but Baladas was able to avert his eyes and look at Divayth.

“Master Fyr, I have failed. I was right there, in the same room, but I did not see it, and was not able to protect him.”

“And now lord Nerevar has died.” It was not a question, but rather a statement by Master Fyr.

“Yes.”

“Do not blame yourself, Baladas. Some things are simply meant to happen; none can stand in the way of destiny. But please, tell us everything that happened, both before and after the death.”

Baladas told them everything, from the Jester drawing attention away, to the look in the eyes of lord Nerevar, and everything afterwards. When he had finished, the three people at the table were silent. Baladas could see them considering all his words carefully. Not waiting for a response, he boldly asked,

“If you have no more questions, I’d like to get word out to other Masters and the Supreme Magister, and then go look for this Jester. I plan to ask him some very pointed questions about his involvement in this.”

Divayth looked at him and said, “No Baladas, that will not be necessary. From what you told me, the Jester is truly feebleminded and would not be able to aid you no matter how hard you tried. No, but I do have a different assignment for you.”

Without thinking, Baladas interrupted him, “But Master Fyr, we can’t just sit by and let the killer get away. We must act now before his trail runs cold.”

Divayth replied in that gentle commanding voice of his, “No Baladas, you are right, someone has to investigate this event, and someone has to get to the bottom of you, but it is not you. You were wise to save the bodyguard of lord Nerevar, and I’m sure he will prove very useful in tracking down whomever is responsible for this. You however, are needed elsewhere.”

“Likely even now, the other Great Houses will be looking to take advantage of this. There was a reason lord Nerevar was killed, and the people trying to hide something by ending his life will likely present themselves in the coming days. I fear Morrowind is in for some trying times, and I for one will not sit by and be washed away by the tides of change, nor will House Telvanni if I have a say in it, and in fact, I do.”

“I want you to travel to Tel Uvirith, Tel Aruhn and then Sadrith Mora. From Sadrith Mora send messages to Tel Branora, Tel Vos, Firewatch, Velothi’s haven and even Port Telvannis. Invoke a Great Telvanni meeting. Be sure to tell them in the message that I would be most displeased should any Master or even the Supreme Magister fail to show up. The time will be two days from now, so two days before the funeral of lord Nerevar, I expect everyone to meet in the Council house in Sadrith Mora. No one else may be present; the entire house must be cleared save for the Masters and the Supreme Magister. Do you understand?”

“Yes lord Fyr, I understand, and will leave at once.”

Baladas’s troubled look did not go unnoticed by Divayth, who added “Don’t worry Baladas, I know lord Nerevar was your friend. He was mine too. Whoever did this will pay for it, trust me, but for now we cannot have Masters wandering Morrowind and Azura knows what other places looking for an assassin, not with what will likely be troubled times ahead.”

The words made Baladas feel at least a bit better, so he took his leave from the three people, and set out for Tel Uvirith.

Divayth watched Baladas leave. He felt sorry for him, but he knew it could not be helped, not for now anyway, not if they wanted to pull this off. Baladas had to act the part, else things might come crumbling down before they had started. He turned back to his two companions at the table and nodded at the hooded figure.

“So it went exactly as planned.” Again more a statement then question.

“Yes,” came the reply, “everyone played their part very well. And of course let’s thank Dhaunayne, without whom we could not have accomplished it at all.”

Dhaunayne inclined her head in thanks and spoke, “Now we start the second phase of the plan. I shall return to Ashmelech and will be in Sadrith Mora in two days. Have you been able to find the one, Divayth?”

“Yes.” Divayth replied, “I’ve suspected him for a long time, and my suspicions have been confirmed.”

--------------------
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post Mar 3 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #19

Knower
Group Icon

Hm, suspicions start arising from the discussion Fyr is having with the vampire lord and the black-robed man. And a meeting between all Telvanni lords is planned. Sweetness! Perhaps Lord Fyr is planning to slay them all as they gather in Sadrith Mora? Or perhaps he has made an arrangement with Aundae to have her vampires do the dirty work? They are, after all, the most magically skilled of all vampires.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
BSD-IES
post Mar 3 2008, 01:09 PM
Post #20

Unregistered

Hmm, so who's the black robed man I wonder? And why is our old friend Divayth Fyr so calm about it? And a Vampiric Elder? An Elder of the Sorcery based Vampire Clan Aundae at that....

Why do I get the feeling sorcery has been used here. At the assasination misdirection was used to accomplish their goals. I'm just beginning to wonder whose goals they were in fact, and who exactly has been misdirected. I suspect it may well be us tongue.gif

Looking very good indeed so far, looking forward to this continuing! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post

10 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:37 PM