51 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Stormcrow, A Superhero's Tale
Acadian
post Dec 14 2019, 08:31 PM
Post #141

Paladin
Group Icon

Very ‘January’ to second guess whether she could have done more to prevent such grievous injury to the burned man.

"Of course." For some reason that seemed to please Blood Raven. She even did smile, if ever so fleetingly.’ - - Blood Raven of the Fleeting Smile. wink.gif

I loved what you did with Blood Raven’s healing. Observing and feeling the actions of a real Witch seemed to really open Jan’s mind and instincts. Jan’s reaction leads me to believe that, even though she doesn’t fully recognize it yet, she carries her own brand of Witchcraft within herself. Blood Raven’s healing is empathic to the extreme and I agree with Jan that it surely exacts a toll and is not exactly something to be envious of. Finally, thanks for sharing the words of Blood Raven's spell. Well done!

Charisma of 18. Hee! I see Jan’s been playing Dungeons and Dragons games. tongue.gif

Nits:
"This is why I serve," Blood Raven said quietly as {she?} stared down at the burned man.’
’Her presence just command{ed?} attention.’

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Dec 15 2019, 12:35 AM
Post #142

Master
Group Icon

Chapter 3.5:

Wow. That was intense! The fire did some damage for sure, and there wasn't much left. The Stormcrow came right on time to lend aid to those firefighters. The flames growing in size just as the rain began to pour came off as suspicious, and the man's comment cemented it. Something was causing the fire to grow.

A breathing device would come in handy but Avery sort of forgot about that it seems ohmy.gif

Her abilities continue to grow and she's shown great skill, but I fear she may be in a bit of a pickle with the growing fumes!

Chapter 3.6:
Tense! Jan continues to show her heroic nature by leading those people out of the fire, and saving more lives. A great thing Gadget was there to give her the information she needed on the state of the building, and how many more people could've been potentially harmed by the flames had she not got there on time.

She was very clever in creating a new exit for those people; crashing through the wall worked rather well! This was awesome! Emotionally powerful as well! Stormcrow feeling the slight bit of panic and tense as the firefighters did their duty and helped put the flames out of her. Despite her powers and growing skill, she is vulnerable. Great thing there are the right people helping her at the right time, such as Avery/Gadget.

3.7: I'm in agreement here with Acadian. Two Steps From Hell and Stormcrow come together great. Blackheart is one of my favorites from TSFM.

I knew it! Introducing her a few chapters prior had me excited. I knew she was close to showing up and you build the intrigue quite well with Jan's/Storm's thoughts and passing mentions on Blood Raven, and since this is the figure she looks up to and is inspired by, you had me waiting with curiosity. Gave me goosebumps.

She was a like a bloody gash, cut into the air where she floated. January smelled it - blood - coppery and thick. She even tasted it in her throat.

You painted a great picture. Her presence is unmistakable, mysterious, and the way she speaks does give us the impression of her wisdom, which of course, surely came with age. I'll be back to read the next chapters!

Great stuff Subrosa! coolgrin.gif

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 16 2019, 07:42 PM
Post #143

Councilor
Group Icon

Whoa, no way. Gaelic. See, whenever Laprimma Donnagh's game starts (and my corresponding story with her) she's going to speak Gaelic too, when she does one of her incantations.

Yes, Kate Beckinsale's voice sounds like what I'm hearing in my head with Blood Raven, especially if Kate were to put more affect into her voice, making it sound sort of emotionless and cold.

"How is it you are called my friend?"

Nice. I love this way she speaks. Her Charisma is 18, her Speechcraft is up there, and perhaps her ability to Charm is off the charts.

Yes I was also gonna say: it doesn't seem like she's healing them so much as transferring their injuries / pain briefly to herself. All of this fits in with some beliefs I have about the reality of our existence, by the way. Just the fact that realities seem to be merging. And Blood Raven can access these other realities. Similar to the way our world of our dreams is an actual real place, sort of. Blood Raven can actively access this world, where injuries and pain can magically go away.

:

This post has been edited by Renee: Dec 16 2019, 11:28 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Dec 21 2019, 06:42 AM
Post #144

Master
Group Icon

3.8: As I've mentioned before . . . Blood Raven has such an eloquent way of speaking. This is captured well with Jan's thoughts:

'Perhaps it was Gaelic? It sounded ancient, primal, and wild. It was the kind of thing that she imagined might have been shouted on Beltane or Samhain from stone circles that crowned shadowed hills.'
Her knowledge in Celtic magic is fascinating. Does this count as, well, Blood Magic? It was refreshing to see Blood Raven use her abilities to siphon and take away Stormcrow's pain. Its a more positive and selfless way of using one's powers that are sometimes(and mistakenly) associated with a shade.

'She also found herself hoping that Blood Raven did not have HIV, or HPV, or any of a host of other blood-borne diseases.'
Ha, that would, as the saying goes, totally suck.

'She was like a goddess who walked among mortals. Powerful, stunning, dangerous, inexplicable, and ever remote. She did not live in the same world they did, and made no attempt to hide that fact. Even at her most beneficent, like now, she still remained isolated, apart from the rest of the world.'

Perhaps this is for the best. Blood Raven's presence is noted and definitely revered by Stormcrow. You do a tremendous job maintaining this sort of mystery behind her while still showing her power. As a sort of amateur writer, I personally struggle with this embarrased.gif

Again, wow. Stormcrow's lungs are working in tip-top-shape and she's ready for action.

'In the end all she could manage was a strangled, embarrassing grunt and a hurried nod.'
Was she fangirling? I think she was fangirling laugh.gif

P.S . . . love the nod to Conan the Barbarian cool.gif

3.9: I wonder if Stormcrow will learn a thing or two of the Gaelic tongue. Another great chapter!

While Stormcrow has much to learn, I'm sure with Blood Raven's restorative abilities and her recent heroism, she's well on her way to learning something new perhaps, about herself? More on the hero she looks up to? There's more to Stormcrow, isn't there? I'm getting way to ahead of myself here, lol.

Ah so Blood Raven sounds like Laura Bailey eh? I could listen to her all day . . . as a matter of fact I have. Serana is my number 1 companion in Skyrim laugh.gif Funny enough I tend to always imagine what my characters sound like. Raven(Decumus) has what we know as an English/British accent, also known as a Nibenese accent in lore laugh.gif

Stormcrow asks some good questions about BR's abilities. I wouldn't envy her either to be quite honest.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 21 2019, 05:15 PM
Post #145

Ancient
Group Icon

Acadian: January is a nice person at the core. She cares about other people, because she can feel empathy for their pain. But she also takes her supering very seriously. She sees protecting people as her #1 priority. That is what her slowly coalescing Stormcrow Doctrine will be founded upon. So when someone is injured as badly as Ken Reeve was, she not only feels bad for their pain, she takes it as a personal failure. She has to do better than that.

Jan most definitely plays D&D, though it is not her favorite game. We will learn more about her D&D character later this chapter in fact.

Thanks for spotting those nits. Fixed and fixed.

Darkness Eternal: I intentionally decided for January not to have any kind of breathing device. Her hagfish armor already makes her immune to fire (short of the sun at least). She needed to have a vulnerability in order for there to be some real danger in her going into the fire. Smoke inhalation was perfect, as it tends to kill more people in fires than the actual fire itself. That allowed me to show her really struggling and hurting, while still going on.

Blood Raven is Irish, so her magic tends to run toward the Gaelic end of the spectrum. She is a second generation immigrant, so she does not have the Irish accent. Her posh and polished way of speaking does come from her upbringing. We will learn more about that in the future.

She definitely has a real talent for blood magic, as well as 'regular' magic. Its in her name after all! Later we will see just why she has such an ability for sensing and manipulating blood.

Laura Bailey has a wonderful, husky voice. It is like she is always sighing. I wish I could find something of her playing a 18th or 19th century lady, as that would be perfect. Serana is also my favorite npc in Skyrim, because of her voice. I loved her in Fallout New Vegas as well. Kate Beckinsale has that wonderful sense of polish to her voice, which makes her work for Blood Raven as well. She could read those lines and it would be spot on as well.

I like putting Stormcrow and Blood Raven together. As a superhero, January is all kinds of awesome. But when compared to Blood Raven, she clearly has a long way to go. That helps keep January down to earth and not feeling too uber. Blood Raven OTOH, is packed full of amazing. But she too, has a lot to learn from January, as we will see in the future. The two of them really complement one another.

Crom!

January might pick up some Gaelic words, but probably not much. She already knows English and Old Norse, and a little bit of Spanish.

Renee: I heard that Laprimma Donnagh's a real prima donna. But that might just be catty talk from jealous rivals... wink.gif January will probably be migrating to Skyrim once her current adventures in Oblivion-land are finished. So she might bump into Laprimma there. Unless she goes to Fallout instead.

Blood Raven's healing was inspired by the game Earthdawn. Its Cavalryman discipline (basically class) has a talent called Blood Share. It allows the character to transfer damage between themselves and their mount. Given Blood Raven's ability for using blood magic, it was a natural fit.

I really liked your idea of alternate realities, and bridging the gaps between universes. Magic is after all the ability to change reality.

2004 Chevy Avalanche

Book 3.10 - Stormcrow Burning

By now the fire had nearly burned itself out. While they had not been able to stop it, the firefighters had prevented the blaze from spreading to other buildings. Now with nothing left to burn, the conflagration was sputtering out beneath their hoses. There was little left behind. Just the shell of the cinderblock walls, and the gutted piles of ash and soot within.

"Well, look who finally showed up."

A fireman's words brought January's head back around. She noted more vehicles pulling up, including the first police cars. The Detroit cops spread out, and began pushing back the crowd that had gathered to watch. January also noticed several news vans already on the scene, and numerous cameras and reporters buzzing around the outskirts of the event, like electrons orbiting a nucleus.

The first of the new arrivals to walk up was not a police officer or a reporter however. Rather he was a fire marshal. At least that is what it said on the side of the car he had gotten out of. The marshal was a short, dark-haired man who wore a frown like an old time detective did a fedora and trenchcoat. He was clad in a fireman's coat and boots, and carried one of their helmets in one hand.

"Give us another minute and the scene is yours Harold," the captain of the firefighters said to him.

"Take your time Mike," the new man - Harold - replied. He glanced at Blood Raven, then turned his eyes to January. "Did they change the uniforms for probies?"

"You could say that," the fire captain's younger sidekick - a lieutenant? - grinned. "What do you say boys, should the Blackbirds be honorary members of Engine 66?"

A cheer rose from the assembled firemen, many of whom were still drifting back from the gutted ruin of the building.

"You should'a seen this one Harry!" a fireman proclaimed as he pointed to January. "Jumpin' straight into the flames, and jumpin' back out again with people under her arms, snatched 'em from the jaws of death itself!"

"Hey is it true you'se a lesbo?" another yelled loudly.

"Fredo, what did I say about talk like that!" the fire captain snapped. He rolled his eyes at January. "Don't listen to him. He's not housebroken yet."

"Hey, I'm not a homophone or nothin'!" Fredo insisted.

"I got a sister, she's one of them lesbianese girls too. I can hook you up. You'se can go to the Pride Fest thing that's coming up. We always go. She's a got a pair of you know what's that's out of this world! Know what I'm sayin'?" The gesture Fredo made with his hands over his chest made it very clear what he was saying. "And her lasagna, mama mia it's the best you ever had! Even better than my grandma's, God rest her soul."

January actually heard Gadget laughing through her earpiece.

"I'm sure she's nice," January found herself saying. "But I don't really have time for dating."

She turned to the fire marshal - Harold. "When I was in there, I saw a bunch of gas cans. Big ones. I can show you where."

"With all due respect miss, we'll take it from here." It was not Harold that replied, but a policeman with captain's bars on his shoulders. Like the fire captain, his hair and mustache were going gray. Unlike the fireman, his eyes lacked kindness. Those eyes roved over January like a vulture on the hunt for rotting meat. They turned to Blood Raven, and bored into her like a pair of laser drills.

Blood Raven stared back at the new arrival and crossed her arms. Even though her face was covered by her cowl, there was no mistaking the air of contempt that she conveyed. It was clear to January that the two knew one another, and that there was no love lost between them.

"I'm sure you were most helpful." The police captain broke the stare down first, and turned back to face January. "But the proper authorities will take over from now on. The fire marshal will determine if there is a case for arson, and investigate further if he does."

"Captain Braddock, we were-" the fire captain began to say before being cut off by the newcomer.

"I believe your men are finished here Captain Henderson," the police captain interjected. "My men will take over the scene. We will see to it that protocol in enforced."

The fire captain gritted his teeth, as if chewing over what he was he might say in reply. He concealed it better than Blood Raven, but January could still see that he was no fan of this police captain either. Braddock, she made a note to remember that name. She had the feeling she might run afoul of him again someday.

"Seriously, come by the Engine and break bread," Fire Captain Henderson turned from the police man to January. He clapped a friendly hand to her back. "Fredo might lack social graces, but he makes the best fettuccini you've ever eaten. We'll take some selfies, post 'em on Instantbook, or whatever it's called, and I can show my grand-daughters that I met the real Stormcrow."

"You're on Cap," January could not help but smile. The simple goodwill of the firefighters, while rough, stood in stark contrast to the cold hostility of their police counterparts. She told herself that the behavior or these particular individuals did not speak for all within their respective organizations. But at the moment, it did not feel that way.

The firemen began to roll up their hoses and put their gear away. In the meantime January noted that Blood Raven, with a total disregard for the police, was already floating through the ruin of the Flying Dutchman. The fire marshal followed at her heels, silently observing everything around him.

January took a moment to look back to the police captain, who was visibly scowling at the older superheroine's back. She told herself that she should be building bridges, forging alliances. She had evidently done so with the firemen, without even trying. But a voice deep in her head reminded her that some people refused to be reached, no matter how many olive leafs were sent their way. In the end she knew that she did have an alliance to forge, and it was more important than one captain in the Detroit PD.

She followed Blood Raven into the ruin.

"Watch where you step," the fire marshal reminded her. His tone was not antagonistic, just a reminder. "All of this is evidence. Some of it might be used in court someday. Watch where I step, and follow along. You'll get the hang of it."

January nodded. This Harold character seemed like a decent sort, as the fire captain was. He was someone she could learn from. There was so much to all of this she still did not know.

"So are you police or fire department?" January asked him.

"Detroit Fire Department ma'am," Harold answered. "But I am a sworn law enforcement officer as well. I carry a firearm, and if I find 'em, I arrest 'em."

January chewed that over while she carefully moved through the wreckage.

"There's those gas cans." She pointed out the jerry cans she had found before. The paint had been scorched from their steel frames, and all of their caps were open.

A glance to the side revealed the hole she had smashed through the wall to escape with the burning man. Had that been just minutes ago? It seemed like forever. In fact, the burned out and water-logged wreckage of the Flying Dutchman felt like a different world from the one she had first stepped into, perhaps a half hour before.

Blood Raven picked one of the cans up, and closed her eyes. January could see her lips moving in a silent chant or song. Once again, a magic circle comprised of Celtic symbols leapt into brilliant life around her feet. This time they were of shining gold, like the warm rays of the sun slanting through an afternoon window.

They had been red before, when she had done her healing. Perhaps it was the blood in the magic then that had turned the color scarlet?

In any case, January once again felt the power, resonating through her bones. The magic - if that is what it was - seemed to call out to her. To awaken something slumbering deep inside her. Until tonight she had thought of the Wiccan/Neo-Paganism books she had been reading as just self-help. A new way in addition to yoga to help her visualize her goals and center herself. She had not really put much stock in the magical and religious aspects of it. Not outside the pure coolness factor of goddesses like Freyja and Hecate of course. Was there more to it than she had ever guessed? Was that what focused her meta-human abilities?

The flame-haired heroine took off one glove, and ran her bare hand across one of the cans. She sniffed at it, like a bloodhound getting a scent. Then she leaned her head back, as if to drink it all in.

"This was the working of a man," she said in a low, distant tone. "A young man. An angry man. A rejected man. 'he'll get her back', 'he'll take her back', 'he'll teach her a lesson'."

With that the glowing symbols faded away. Blood Raven put the jerry can back exactly where she had taken it from, and stared out the gutted entrance of the building.

"The fire shall have destroyed any physical evidence the arsonist left behind," she said. "But there are yet options possessed of us."

January's realized that they were at the very front of the building, in a little corner that might have been a bathroom. It was between the front door and the stairs leading up to the second floor. Next to it was what she had taken for a kitchen during her initial foray into the building. That area had already been consumed in flame when she had arrived. It was where she had found that woman who had doused herself with foam, the one whose head might have been bloody.

Clearly the fire had started there, or very close by. Could she have caught the arsonist in the act, and been struck over the head by him? Or had she simply been in the wrong place, and happened to be trapped in the same area?

"Stormcrow, I've got something." Gadget's serious voice spoke into her ear. "I'm in the camera system of the business across the street. I've got a partial picture of a truck leaving just before the fire started. A black and red Chevy Avalanche. Looks like early 2000s."

"Got it," January said crisply. She walked out toward the street, taking care of where she stepped. Blood Raven floated through the air behind her, and landed gently on the sidewalk beside her.

She walked out toward the street, taking care of where she stepped. Blood Raven floated through the air behind her, and landed gently on the sidewalk beside her.

"Will you see this through with me?" the scarlet and black-clad heroine asked. "Or are you content to let the 'proper authorities' investigate?"

"I am in it to the end," January insisted. Anger flared inside her, white hot anger. It looked like no one had died, so far. But that was more a matter of chance than due to anything she had done. This entire thing was clearly an attempt to murder dozens, if not a hundred people. She could not stand idly by while the creature who had perpetrated this act ran free.

"I have a clue," Blood Raven nodded. "A Chevrolet Avalanche. But no license plate number. We must needs interview the survivors. It may be that someone will recognize that conveyance."

January's ears pricked up at the identification of the truck. Did Blood Raven have her own computer specialist snooping around the local cameras, like Gadget? Well of course she did. How could anyone be a super these days without a hacker - silently and invisibly - watching their back online?

"They said they had been taken to the hospitals," January thought aloud. "We could ask the police to get in touch with them. But I don't think Captain Feldercarb here will be too cooperative."

"He will not," Blood Raven agreed, "And it is too soon to simply hack their reports. They have not been written and filed yet."

"I have an idea," January said. "Gadget, can you get me in touch with Emilia?"

"Got it," he said. "I'm putting her through now."

"Trooper Mercado," her voice came over January's earpiece a moment later.

"Hi trooper!" January said in her usual perky, phone voice. She was going to have to work on that, to sound more professional. "This is Stormcrow. I was wondering if you might be able to do me a teensy, weensy, little favor?"

"More stolen metal?" the Puerto Rican woman asked. "You know we had to get a semi-truck to carry off that stuff the last time."

"No, not metal, people," January insisted. "We need to talk to some people. I was hoping you could open some doors, get some communication going. You know, in a police to police sort of way."

"Oh no, what now?" January heard the sound of muffled voices rise up in the background, and realized that it was a news report. "Oh, the fire. I can see you on Channel 4."

January turned to look around, and saw the news team across the street. Their camera was pointed right at her. She could not resist the urge to wave.

"Can we meet up?" January asked. "We think the people we need to see are at the local hospitals, but I'm not sure which ones, or exactly who they are."

"Am I the only cop you know?" she sighed.

"Well, now that you mention it…"

"How can I say no to my friendly neighborhood Super Crow?" Trooper Mercado replied. "It's not like I'm doing anything anyway. I'll text you when I get close."

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 21 2019, 08:18 PM
Post #146

Paladin
Group Icon

The banter about homophones and lesbianese girls was hilarious!

I was glad to see January steel herself herself to the necessity of building bridges and alliances – despite Police Captain Stick-in-the-mud. Sure enough, later in the episode when she called Trooper Mercado, we see the wisdom of her thinking.

Very cool how Blood Raven coaxed that gas can into telling her its story. It seems clear to me that Blood Raven also sees the magic and potential within her young ally.

’She mastered the roiling of her guts. But she could not deaden her heart. Who had they been? What were their final thoughts? What lives would they have had? Who was left behind, to mourn their loss, and wonder why?’
- - This is exactly the kind of internal dialogue you have shown us to expect from January and her nurturing heart.

Nit? ’She had evidently had done so with the firemen, without even trying.’ - - Looks like a redundant ‘had’ remained from an edit.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 23 2019, 04:42 PM
Post #147

Councilor
Group Icon

Chevy Avalanche. Not a Geo Metro or Pontiac Aztec this time. biggrin.gif

Uh oh, here come the cops. indifferent.gif I am pro-cop IRL mostly, Maryland cops have helped me a couple times, but I can't help but think that with January...

Because you see, it's not that they're going to arrest her, but I imagine there's some professional turfing about to go on. Like, when the FBI takes over from county cops.

Blood Raven is floating. Interesting. I know how this feels. I had a dream last week in which I was floating amongst a bunch of college students, trying maybe to impress them. I was semi-lucid in this dream. It's an awesome feeling if you've ever encountered it, Florens. At the end of the dream I wound up high above some sort of gigantic underground "quad" area where all the students were gathered far below. I fell from a precipice I had been standing on, but managed to grab a golden chain. That was the only thing which prevented me from falling fifty feet of so. indifferent.gif Apparently I had lost my ability float. Anyway, I began thinking "I could just let go of this chain and fall to the ground.... I'll simply wake up then. No pain." But i chose not to do this. Instead, I mustered all my Strength, and climbed up the golden chain.

She was not going to throw up in front of the old time superhero

laugh.gif

Jan has a smile in her voice as she calls Mercado. smile.gif She can't help waving for the camera. smile.gif

Cool, so Raven and Crow are basically short-circuiting what would have been a longer, drawn-out investigation. Because normally for everyone to conclude this as a mass-homicide, what'd happen (as you know I'm sure) is it would take some time before everyone's on the same page, crime-wise.

We need these two superheros in Baltimore, as our murder rate has gone past 300 for the fifth year in a row.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Dec 26 2019, 02:57 AM
Post #148

Master
Group Icon

People saved and firefighters cheering! I'd say a job well done(aside from the unidentified victims). Thanks to Stormcrow and Blood Raven! I'm sure they'll catch the killer.

'Hey, I'm not a homophone or nothin'!'
laugh.gif laugh.gif

This was a very fun exchange between them! I loved it!

'Those eyes roved over January like a vulture on the hunt for rotting meat. They turned to Blood Raven, and bored into her like a pair of laser drills.'
Good description here. I can already tell Captain Braddock is not good news. Its amazing how well we can detect the assholes that come about. Braddock sure fits the bill here, so far.

Blood Raven's abilities continue to surprise as her runes turn a different shade upon inspection. She can detect the aura/nature of a person's residue it seems. That's a fascinating ability to have.

I was wondering our trooper friend from the mall attack would appear again! She's great! The investigation is on!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 28 2019, 05:14 PM
Post #149

Ancient
Group Icon

Acadian: Fredo was a ton of fun to write. We will hear more about his sister and her... ahem, and chapter 5.

People often refer to "The Government" or "The Police" and so on, as if they were monolithic organizations in which every member was a essentially a zombie or robot, mindlessly following its programming, and most of all, them all acting in complete concert. The reality is that governments are formed of individuals, and every one has their own agendas, and they often do not work together, but actively against one another. That is what I am going for with the police and later state government in the Stormcrow fic. They are made up of individuals acting on their own imperatives. Some of them will naturally become January's allies, because their agendas mesh. Some will be opposed to her for the opposite reason.

Blood Raven sees a lot in January, not just potential. That will all come out at the end of this chapter, and run all through Chapter 4.

January always emphasizes with people, especially when tragedy strikes.

Thanks for finding my extra 'had', I have had enough of it!

Renee: One of these days I will have a modern car, I promise!

January does not personally have any history with the police at all. Of course she does have one with other authority figures, especially in school. Queer people in general however, have a long and really bad history of being victimized by the police. Stonewall is something we celebrate because it was the first time we stood up against police brutality. I remember once telling my therapist how I walked into a police station during a festival on city hall grounds, asked the desk sergeant where the bathroom was, and went and used it. Big deal right? For a transperson, that is like walking into a lion's den.

In chapter 5 I will have the opportunity to contrast how January, Lighthammer, and Blood Raven fly. Each is very different. Blood Raven is more like Magneto or Captain Marvel. She just ignores gravity completely, with no obvious means of propulsion. She floated into the ruins of the Flying Dutchman in particular so she would not accidentally step into evidence. It's just an example of how she is an old hat at this.

Sooner or later Jan's good nature always shines through. Like being on TV. smile.gif

You called it. Jan and Blood Raven are basically taking the fast track to solving this case, where it would normally take weeks of mundanely sorting through mountains of evidence by the fire marshal. That does get pointed out later in the chapter, a few posts after today's.

You folks in Baltimore are we Detroiter's perennial rivals for murder capital and most violent city in America. Along with St. Louis. All three of our cities need superheros. That is one of the reasons I set the Stormcrow fic here in the D.

Darkness Eternal: No homophones here!

I envision Captain Braddock and Blood Raven as having a long and dubious history of acrimony. Something Stormcrow herself is going to have to get used to in the future. Not everyone appreciates supers, especially particular ones.

Blood Raven has been doing this for a long time, most of it without any help from the police. So it stood to reason that she would have developed some purely investigatory abilities. I went to the old ESP standard of psychometry to give her a way to get clues - however vague - from a crime scene. We will see a similar ability for gathering information in today's episode.

I created Trooper Mercado with the idea of her being the Jim Gordon to January's Batman. She's the ally in the police whom Jan can turn to for help. So she will be a regular feature in the Crow Tales.

You can find Detroit Receiving Hospital on the Stormcrow Google Map

Detroit Receiving Hospital

Detroit Receiving Hospital picture

Book 3.11 - Stormcrow Burning

"You arrived most expeditiously to the scene of the fire," Blood Raven observed. "You must have been nearby."

They stood in the underground parking lot of Detroit Receiving Hospital. A mountain of concrete hovered above their heads, lay beneath their feet, and closed in from all sides. The air that moved gently through the subterranean space was cool, and smelled vaguely of gasoline fumes and old oil. All around them were cars and trucks, angled into row after row of parking spaces.

"I was at Hart Plaza," January said. "In fact, I saw you there. The whole city did."

"Yes, the electronic… music festival." Blood Raven replied. She did not seem to easily equate electronic with music. That seemed to be the case with a lot of people her age. That made January wonder just what her age might be. Blood Raven had literally been superheroing since before she had been born. She had imagined her to be older than her mother. But the skin that was not covered by her armor looked untouched by the tracks of time.

"So you were there? For the entire night?" Blood Raven continued to press.

"Yes," January said. She began to feel like she was being interrogated. "We got there in the afternoon, around five. I didn't leave until I heard about the fire. Long after you left. Why?"

"I am simply curious."

"Uh huh," January nodded along. "Does this have something to do with what you were chasing?"

"What should make you think I was chasing something?" Blood Raven asked.

"I saw you. I felt you, and it," January said honestly. "I don't know what that was. But you felt it too. You went after it. I would have too, but I had no idea what it even was, or how to find it."

"I suspected it might have been you," Blood Raven admitted. "But I left the scent of your blood behind me at the festival, and there was no trace of you when I brought the monster to bay."

"I felt it," January frowned. The Monster? That accounted for the claw marks in Blood Raven's armor. "It made my stomach want to turn inside out. What was it?"

"A story for another day," Blood Raven deflected.

January noted that she seemed to do that quite a bit.

A yellow Jeep pulled into the lot. January slid away from the concrete post that she had been leaning against, and stood attentively. She recognized it as Emilia's. January motioned for Blood Raven to follow, and walked over to meet the state trooper. She noted that the other woman's arm was still in a cast, but at least no longer held by a sling.

The state trooper stepped out of the Jeep. She took one look at Blood Raven and her face turned hard as the concrete that surrounded them.

"You didn't say she was part of this," Emilia said.

"She wasn't on the TV as well?" January furrowed her brows. Not just at the other woman's surprise, but also at her reaction. It was not as decidedly frozen as Captain Braddock's had been. But it was far from warm either.

"The local stations avoid showing me on the air," Blood Raven explained. "The Detroit Police Chief revokes the press credentials of any reporter who does."

"What, that's crazy?" January sputtered. "They can't… Why?"

"It might have something to do with all the people your new friend has killed," Emilia said. "It kind of sits bad with some folks."

"She-" January let her words die off. She remembered that conversation about Blood Raven around the breakfast table just a few weeks ago, the morning after her first outing as Stormcrow.

"How many people has she killed in just the last decade? A dozen?"

"Like that maniac who walked into the Ren Cen and just started shooting people? Or the ones who were kidnapping young girls and selling them overseas? The world's a better place without them in it."

"Is this going to be a problem?" January found her hands falling to her hips, arms akimbo. She did not mean to get antagonistic. But the fact was Blood Raven had been there when she needed her most, had even healed her seared lungs. Also, the truth was, deep down, she did not really feel bad that she had killed people like mass shooters or sex slavers either. Maybe she was supposed to care. But she didn't.

Emilia looked from Blood Raven to January, and back again. She seemed to be weighing her thoughts.

"I am asking you for help to catch a murderer," January said. "I am not asking you to like her, or agree with her. This isn't about you, or her, or me, it's about the two people who died tonight."

"We may effect a solution on our own," Blood Raven interjected. "I have been protecting this city for half a century, with little to no aid from the police."

"But that's not me." January whirled around to face the older woman. She respected her. But she did not have to agree with her. "We should all be lifting each other up, not tearing each other down."

"I once heard a man say that a house divided against itself cannot stand," Blood Raven nodded. "That is why I am still standing here with you."

"Okay," Emilia relented. "I'll help. But if I'm in, I am in all the way. We do this by the numbers. We gather evidence, we make a proper arrest, the perp goes to trial, no legal loopholes."

"Of course, that's one reason I called you," January agreed. "You can actually arrest him."

"Lead the way." Blood Raven smiled faintly, and held out a hand to the elevators.

They followed Emilia into the hospital. While she was not in uniform, the state trooper had her badge slug around her neck, to clearly identify her. With just a few quiet words with the nursing staff she learned where the survivors of the fire had been taken. Once there, a few more quiet words with the police in the hall gained them passage into the wards where they were being treated.

Everyone stared of course. Even if they had just been cosplayers, they would have immediately grabbed the attention of onlookers. But Blood Raven had been a feature of the city for decades. Had she just said half a century? January made a mental note to look into that. She was not just a superhero, she was a legend. Everyone knew her on sight, and while someone might imitate her armor, there was no mistaking her presence. When you stood in the same room with her, and breathed the same air, you felt her, like a ghost walking over your grave.

January had only been at this super thing for a little less than a month. But people clearly recognized her as well. The name Stormcrow leapt from their lips. They smiled. They took pictures and videos. A few children even waved. She could not stop herself from waving back.

She also noticed the stark difference between how people looked at her, and how they looked at Blood Raven. They had cheered when the flame-haired superheroine was far away. Like the crowd at the music festival. But when they were up close, near enough feel the weight of her stare, and the aura of power that cloaked her, then things changed. No one waved to Blood Raven.

The survivors of the fire were mostly young, in their twenties, though some were perhaps twice that age. Their clothing and skin was blacked with soot and grime. Some were breathing through oxygen masks. Scrapes and bumps and bruises, and minor burns were common. None of their injuries appeared to be truly critical however.

January started out by asking for the woman she had rescued from the front of the Dutchman, the one who had doused herself with foam. The hospital workers did not know who she meant at first. But when January added that she thought she had suffered a head wound, that jogged one nurse's memory.

"We have a Jane Doe who that might be," the nurse replied. He was a tall man, with broad shoulders, and dark hair that was nearly buzzed down to his scalp. "She's suffering from a concussion however. She has yet to regain consciousness."

"Show me," Blood Raven's words were not a request, but a commandment. The dark-haired man nodded, and took them down a new set of hallways to the ICU. There they found a woman with her head swathed in bandages, and an oxygen mask strapped to her face. She lay motionless in bed, and a jungle of wires connected her to mountains of electronics that beeped and chirped to either side.

Blood Raven leaned over her, and placed a hand on her head. January felt a trickle of energy move between the two women. The elder heroine frowned. Jagged claws sprang from her hand, and she deftly slashed open one of the patient's arms. The nurse gasped in shock, and moved to intercept Blood Raven. But January caught him, and held him at bay while the other woman did her work.

January did not see it. But she felt it. The feeling of energy moving between the two was as unmistakable as the sound of the Gaelic chant that filled the air. It was the same magic that Blood Raven had used to heal both her and Ken Reeve. She turned to look once the singing had died down, and saw Blood Raven sway on her feet.

She was able to catch the other woman before she could plunge to the floor. Burns marred her face, and January smelled burned flesh from under her cowl. She hung there in her arms, until a hot, hissing and popping noise rose up from Blood Raven's skull. January tasted blood, and felt hot, sanguine energy bubble up through the elder heroine's flesh. The burns vanished, and that charred odor faded. The elder heroine opened her eyes once more, and they glowed with red fire.

"I shall be fine now," Blood Raven nodded to January. She stood back, and allowed the other woman to stand freely once more. "You were quite correct nurse, she had suffered from a concussion, caused by severe blunt trauma to the head."

"Who are you?"

They all turned to see the bandaged woman sitting up in the bed. She pulled the oxygen mask from her face, and touched her head gingerly.

"What am I doing here? OMG, you're... you're... her! You're them!"

"Yes we are," Blood Raven answered. "Do you remember your name?"

"Well of course, I'm Amanda, Amanda Paines." She looked around. "What am I doing here?"

"You were badly injured in a fire," the nurse explained. He rushed forward, and began going over the readouts from the various machines. He was plainly stunned at the radical transformation of his patient. "We were not sure when you might wake up."

"I feel fine," Amanda said. She tugged at the bandages that swathed her head, revealing a torrent of curly auburn hair beneath. "What's all this stuff?"

"You suffered a serious head wound," the nurse responded. "We were-"

"You are now fine," Blood Raven cut the nurse off. "You may remove the bandages. We believe the person who injured you may have set the fire tonight. Do you remember who that was?"

"Fire, what fire?" Amanda stared blankly back at them.

"Tell us the last thing you do remember," Blood Raven said.

January not only heard the words, she felt them. They reverberated deep down in her chest, and vibrated through her bones. It was like standing in front of an amp when the music was turned up too high. You could feel the sound waves physically pulse through your body. Yet Blood Raven's voice was low. It was not the acoustic vibrations that she felt, it was something else, something much more powerful, and clearly not part of the mundane world.

She felt a steady, thumping beat: bump-bump, bump-bump, bump-bump. It had a rhythm, that slowed down into a steady cadence. It was a heartbeat, and somehow January knew that it was Amanda's.

"I was at the Flying Dutchman," she said in a leaden, almost robotic voice. "I was there to meet my boyfriend Guy. Then my ex showed up. He made a big scene. He can't move on since I dumped him. Total incel. He thinks he owns me. He said he would get me back. That he would take me back. He said if I didn't go with him, he'd teach me a lesson. I was about to call the cops on him."

"Then what?" Blood Raven gently prodded.

"He left after Guy showed up," Amanda said. "We hung out a while downstairs and vibed. Then I had to go to the bathroom. Then... Then... I don't know, I can't remember. I can't remember anything after that."

January remembered the bathroom. That was where the fire had started. She had definitely been there at ground zero.

"What is your former paramour's name?" Blood Raven prodded.

"John, John Gray."

"Does he drive a Chevrolet Avalanche?" Blood Raven ventured.

"How did you know that?" Amanda responded.

That conjured looks between the three women. Emilia made a phone call, and asked for info on Gray. While the state trooper was busy with the dispatcher, Blood Raven continued.

"Tell me about John Gray."

Amanda went on to give details about the apartment in which her former boyfriend lived, as well as his job, his family, and his social media accounts. Blood Raven had to stop her when she began to list his favorite foods. She passed a hand before Amanda's eyes, and the young woman suddenly blinked.

"Did you say something about a fire?" Amanda looked from one superheroine from another, as if she had no knowledge of what she had just said.

"Yes, you were injured in a fire," Blood Raven explained gently. "You suffered a serious head injury, and have lost your memory of the event. This is not unusual with brain injuries. You may remember in time, or never at all."

"OMG! I have brain damage!" she grabbed for her head.

"Nay," Blood Raven waved a hand in the negative. "You are fine. As I said, you are fully recovered. You may go home now. The police may come to interview you later."

With that Blood Raven swept from the room, her cape billowing behind her. She paused at the door however, and turned back to the nurse.

"I offer you my sincerest apologies for my brusque behavior," she said quite sincerely. "Yours is a noble calling."

Then she did stride from the room. January found herself pulled along in her wake, along with Emilia.

"What was all that?" the state trooper gasped in a mixture of horror and amazement as she struggled to keep up.

"I have my own way of learning the truth of things," Blood Raven replied. "It can have a strong influence on those that lack mental fortitude."

"Thank you Obi-Wan," January breathed. Blood Raven just stared at her, as if she did not know what that meant. Who in the world had not seen Star Wars? Or even just an Obi-Wan is Jesus meme?

"I'm calling for a warrant right now," Emilia said, back to business. "Hopefully we'll have it by the time we get there."

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 28 2019, 08:07 PM
Post #150

Paladin
Group Icon

I think it is great that you are showing big organizations as a composite of their individuals, not so Borg-like as oft depicted. Stormcrow realizes she just has to seek those individuals that she can work with (like Trooper Mercado).

Some interesting girl talk in the opening as the two supers continue to evaluate each other.

"Is this going to be a problem?" January found her hands falling to her hips, arms akimbo. She did not mean to get antagonistic. But the fact was Blood Raven had been there when she needed her most, had even healed her seared lungs. Also, the truth was, deep down, she did not really feel bad that she had killed people like mass shooters or sex slavers either. Maybe she was supposed to care. But she didn't.’
- - First I love the pose that, for some reason, seems so familiar. . . . tongue.gif Ahh, Blood Raven is of an era when righteous justice was delivered without layers of bureaucracy – she would do well in Tamriel. I love how you set this scene up with Emilia and Blood Raven at odds with each other, forcing Stormcrow into the role of peacekeeper. To her credit, Stormcrow stood up to both women and convinced all that her proposed course of cooperation was the wisest path ahead. She definitely displayed high speechcraft (or that elusive 18 in charisma) here.

And Blood Raven demonstrates another of her spells. Like her healing, this one is both effective and somehow troubling. It makes me wonder if Blood Raven is a master of the illusion school of magic.

I wanted to say how much I’m enjoying this story. The passion you feel for January comes through strongly – making her a very endearing character. And you are building a wonderful cast of characters (Gadget, Blood Raven, Emilia. . . ) for her to interact with.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 3 2020, 05:06 PM
Post #151

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh no, that's upsetting to hear. I know that's a huge controversy, which public bathrooms to use. sad.gif In Baltimore (for a long time) the most obvious trans people were hookers and occasional pole dancers. I imagine they had all sorts of struggles even if they weren't transgendered.

"Electronic music festival"... see, I heard her say this in a haughty tone. smile.gif Like she can't process this, so she sounds as though she's looking down upon the concept. Maybe even inadvertently.

(If you can't tell so far, I am rather fascinated with Blood Raven)

Uh oh. What's up with Mercado?

she did not really feel bad that she had killed people like mass shooters or sex slavers either

I don't feel bad either. Like, some of our real-life press is making a huge fuss about that guy.... um... Jeffery Epstein, and how he died under police custody. Like THAT is supposed to make me get riled up, not the fact that this guy was guilty of multiple child r4pes.

I like that there's tension between Jan and BR.

A few children even waved. She could not stop herself from waving back.

Aw, she's a sweetie!

Who in the world had not seen Star Wars?

Blood Raven might ask "Who in the world had not seen a Lord Chamberlain's Men production?" laugh.gif

Love this.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 4 2020, 06:08 PM
Post #152

Ancient
Group Icon

Acadian: There will be more to that particular girl talk in chapter 4. A lot more.

That whole hands on hips is the default pose for ESO isn't it? laugh.gif

Blood Raven is definitely from an era of righteous justice, hand-delivered. She grew up in Boston of the 1770s. Mob violence and eventually armed rebellion were right in front of her eyes every day of her childhood. Trying to play nice for the cameras and spin opinion in the modern world are things she grapples with, sometimes quite badly. OTOH, she really knows how to chew the scenery, and create a spectacle to entrance others.

BR has some serious chops in illusion-style magic. It is kind of a necessity for her. But she does take it to a whole other level.

January has really become a way to channel my old love of comic books and superhero films, and turn them into something more modern and current. She and all her pals are a lot of fun to write about.

Renee: As we will later find out, Blood Raven is a musician herself. She learned to play the piano as a girl in Mrs. Gibson's Finishing School for Proper Young Girls. She picked up the violin later in life. A scandal, as it was something women just did not do at that time (the 1780s). In any case, she cannot wrap her brain around electronic and music.

I enjoyed the conflict between the three women in the last episode. They all definitely do not see eye to eye with one another. But they all still came together in common cause. Which I think says a lot about all three of them.

I don't think anyone is upset that Epstein died. What they are upset about is that he magically died before he could implicate the other rich and powerful men who were part of his cabal.

Lord Chamerlain's Men indeed! Now that was good entertainment!

T.S. Eliot - The Hollow Men

Book 3.12 - Stormcrow Burning

Before they could return to the parking garage, several people blocked their way. They wanted to thank Stormcrow for saving them, or their loved ones. January was dumfounded, and spent a moment smiling, shaking hands, and taking selfies with them. Then she quickly extricated herself and caught up with the other two women.

"If you are doing this for the adulation of the crowds, stop," Blood Raven declared. "It will only end badly, for you and for them."

"What was I supposed to do, bite their heads off? You know if you were a little nicer to people, they might trust you more, and maybe even help you sometime," January snapped back. Never meet your heroes, she thought. They will only disappoint you.

Blood Raven said nothing. She simply stared back at January.

"I am not doing this for fame," January sighed. "I am doing this because I know what it's like to feel helpless. I am doing this for all the people who cannot stand up for themselves alone."

"I sincerely hope that is so," Blood raven replied.

They crowded into Emilia's Jeep, and sped off into the night. Soon they pulled up to the apartment complex where he lived. His Avalanche was there in the lot. They spilled from their vehicle and made their way into his building with a crisp trot. There was still no reply to Emilia's request for a warrant. In moments they were at his door.

"Leave this to me," Blood Raven said. "I shall get the truth of matters from him."

"No!" both January and Emilia declared in unison. The state trooper continued on her own. "Arson cases are extremely difficult to prosecute. If you go barging in there you are just giving his defense attorney an opportunity to get him off."

"You speak truly. Arson cases are difficult to gain convictions for. If he is guilty, he is not likely to ever face justice for his crime." Blood Raven turned to January. "That is why I do what I do. No one else will stand for the people of this city."

"Not this time," January insisted. "I am not going to become a bloodthirsty vigilante right out of the gate. Do you see how people look at you? They might hate me because I am a lesbian, they might hate me because I am trans. But I won't have them fear me because of something I have actually done. I won't give them the satisfaction."

"They will hate you and fear you regardless," Blood Raven sighed. "But you will have to learn that for yourself, will you not? Very well, we shall wait."

They waited. January wanted to pace. But she was not going to be one of those minds that lacked discipline and resolve. She closed her eyes, and ran through her elemental exercises in her head. That slowed her heart, eased her breathing, and washed some of the tension from her body. When she finally opened her eyes, she found Blood Raven staring back at her.

Emilia's phone chimed. She swiped its screen, and her lips blossomed into a smile.

"We have the warrant," she declared. "Let me make the arrest."

She knocked on the door, and stepped to one side, so that she was not standing directly in front of it. January had seen enough movies to know that was so if Gray shot through the door, it would not hit her. January glanced back, to the apartment door across the hall from Gray's. A gunshot might miss Emilia, but it would go straight into that home.

January stepped directly in front of the door.

She felt a hum of energy. Somehow she knew it was nothing physical. It was in her head. She glanced down, and saw golden light dancing around the tips of Blood Raven's fingers. It was the same shade of light as the force field she had used to hold up the ceiling of the Flying Dutchman. Clearly, she was thinking of defense as well.

There was no answer. Emilia knocked again. This time she identified herself as the police, and announced that she had a warrant to search the premises. There was still no reply.

"There are none living within," Blood Raven declared.

Emilia prepared to force the door. January stopped her with a wave of her hand. Instead she pulled out the electric lockpick that Gadget had built for her. It worked like a charm, and she heard the clack of the bolt shooting open a moment later.

January went in first. She was not sure what to expect. She believed what Blood Raven had said about there being no one in the apartment, no one alive at least. But her recent encounters with Isaac and Archie reminded her that not everyone had a beating heart, or blood flowing through their veins.

The apartment was a mess. Socks lay discarded on the floor, along with an empty glass stained white with a coating of dried milk. Bottles of beer were stacked on the coffee table in front of the television, which showed coverage of the fire from one of the local channels. Discarded on the carpet beside it was a tire iron that was caked with dried blood and bits of curly auburn hair.

An odd shadow stretched across the floor. January followed it, to find the form of a man hanging from the ceiling fan in the kitchen. The table had been pushed out of the way, and a chair lay on its side beneath him. His eyes and tongue bulged, and his face was a mass of red blotches. The smell of gasoline rolled off of him, stinging January's nostrils. He was completely still, like a rag doll suspended by its neck.

January closed her eyes. After everything that had happened, she had expected some sort of dramatic closure. There would be a chase, a fight, a defiant declaration, followed by a single punch to the jaw and a wrap up to the case. But it turned out real life was not like a detective movie. Her mind went back to what her English Lit professor had said about Frankenstein. The real enemy was alienation, loneliness, and despair.

January sighed. Blood Raven picked up his phone, and waved a hand over the screen. Once again, January felt hum of power from the other heroine's fingertips. The phone immediately unlocked, and in moments she brought up a spate of texts to Amanda Paines that were alternately threatening and pleading. She handed the phone to January to see, but said nothing.

January heard Emilia call the Detroit Police, and request detectives and the coroner. The state trooper's tone was nothing but professional, but January could see the deflated look in her eyes as well. She glanced at Blood Raven. But the other woman was impassive, made of stone. She stared at the dead man, and finally spoke softly.

"Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men"

January instantly recognized the T.S. Eliot poem. She had studied it in class of course. It certainly put words to how she felt: hollow, shapeless, colorless, a paralyzed force, a gesture without motion.

Blood Raven looked at January, but said nothing. After all, what was there to really say? She slid open the patio door and stepped outside. Then her body literally exploded into a conspiracy of ravens. Their wings were loud as thunder, and their rough voices a noisome racket on the wind. The cloud of jet-black corvids rose up into the sky like a black storm. Within moments they faded into the night, leaving no trace of Blood Raven in their wake.

"Damn," Emilia breathed. "How does she do that?"

"I don't know," January said. For a moment she forgot about all of the deaths, and just focused on the amazing transformation that she had witnessed. Now that was a mic drop! "But one day, I will."

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 4 2020, 09:50 PM
Post #153

Paladin
Group Icon

"I am not doing this for fame," January sighed. "I am doing this because I know what it's like to feel helpless. I am doing this for all the people who cannot stand up for themselves."
- - Defend the defenseless. I wanted to cheer for January here – both for her principles and her optimism in how she responded to the more cynical Blood Raven. Yes, Blood Raven has encountered much disapproval during her long life. . . but so has January during her short life.

I liked how Blood Raven turned Emilia’s concern regarding following proper procedures lest they lose a conviction into the fact that Blood Raven’s objective was not a conviction – but justice.

You really shined here by showing each woman acting per their nature - yet toward a common goal.

What they discovered in the apartment of ‘Red Avalanche’ was anticlimactic but accomplished the objectives of all three women.

’Then her body literally exploded into a conspiracy of ravens. Their wings were loud as thunder,…’
- - What a spectacular exit! I found it very appropriate that January referred to it a mic drop – a phrase that would flow naturally from her, yet be unfamiliar to those several times her age. Like Blood Raven. Like me. wink.gif

Nit: ’January followed it, to find the form of {a?} man hanging from the ceiling fan in the kitchen.’

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Jan 6 2020, 02:26 AM
Post #154

Master
Group Icon

Somehow I can't imagine Blood Raven listening to electronic music. I agree with Storm on this one.

Great exchange between Blood Raven and Stormcrow.

"A story for another day," In Subrosa, I trust. I'm Blood Raven will tell this story, and not pull a J.J Abrams.

'She remembered that conversation about Blood Raven around the breakfast table just a few weeks ago, the morning after her first outing as Stormcrow.'

I remember this conversation too. The one she had with her father over vigilantes taking laws into their own hands? Being from an era with less politics and more action, I'm sure Stormcrow understands Blood Raven's stance on crime, and the harsh hammer that must fall.

There is a nice contrast between the two heroes and you continue to show us as they spend more time together. Blood Raven's note of Storm's treatment of the fans was noted, just as we, once again, realize that Jan's doing this because she knows its the right thing to do. To support those that need it, and not for fame.

"They will hate you and fear you regardless. But you will have to learn that for yourself, will you not? Very well. We shall wait."
She has a point here. In a world full of hate, fear, distrust and intolerance, Jan will have to learn how to navigate through these crazy times. Being a superhero is not without a price, but one Stormcrow is indeed willing to pay for the betterment of others.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 8 2020, 06:58 PM
Post #155

Councilor
Group Icon

After I posted last week, I remembered Jan is an English Major. So chances are if Blood Raven retorted with "You haven't heard of Lord Chamberlain's Men" Jan would be able to 1-up the Raven. biggrin.gif "Their company exited toward the early 1600s...." Oh, snap.

Yes, ladies were meant to play the harpsichord. The spinet. The lute (I think, maybe I'm wrong. Pretty sure I've seen some Renaissance pictures showing females playing lutes though).

Uh oh. Somebody's going to recognize January from all these selfies! Hmm maybe not. I forget if her headgear covers her face, or how much of her face it covers.

Blood Raven has Detect Life. bluewizardsmile.gif And there she goes, as a flock of fowl.

See, they've found a body, but IS IT the arsonist? *dun dun dunnnn*

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 11 2020, 06:04 PM
Post #156

Ancient
Group Icon

Acadian: Those last two episodes that put Jan, Emilia, and BR together were a joy to write. I was able to clearly define each character simply through their interactions, with each acting true to their natures. I was also pleased to show that you can disagree with someone, and still respect them, and work with them for a greater purpose. It just takes ethics and a commitment to something above your own ego.

I never thought of Red Avalanche as being a super name. It is a good one! Maybe I can use it for a Soviet hero from WWII. Red Storm is another good one. Red goes pretty well with anything. Except maybe urine. Red Pee would be a disturbing find.

Blood Raven's spectacular exit was of course lifted from the Prophecy movies, where Gabriel does the same thing. I guess it has always been lodged somewhere back in my brain.

Thank you for finding the nit. Even with all the extra drafts I am doing on the Crow, some still slip by.

Darkness Eternal: Blood Raven is a Classical and Jazz music fan, or the old fashion lounge singers from the 30s and 40s.

That story of what Blood Raven was chasing will take center place in chapter 4. It is just the tip of a very big iceberg that will be revealed then.

January's difficulties with navigating the modern world will be shown often, and her wrestling with the ethical conundrums that come with the age we all live in.

Renee: January would know about Lord Chamberlin's men, and of course Shakespheare. Though I don't think she likes his stuff much. The language alone is difficult to get through.

Blood Raven would have learned on the harpischord. I read that the first piano fortes were coming to America right around the time of her childhood, but she would not have had the opportunity to play one then. She prefers an actual piano these days, for the fuller, richer sound, and the way the notes reverberate for a longer time. We will later learn that in her past life (when she was actually alive), she and her husband owned a tavern. That is when she learned to play the violin, as it would have been much more to the tastes of her patrons, and a lot cheaper.

January's mask covers all of her face except her mouth and lower jaw. So she can eat or drink. So no worries about being recognized.

A lot of Blood Raven's powers are your standard vampire fare. I actually looked through my old Vampire the Masquerade books to get some ideas for things she could do with blood. We will see a spectacular one in chapter 4.

I was not really thinking that 'Red Avalanche' might be a fall guy. I wrote it a straightforward crazy ex-boyfriend turned violent piece. I could still go the way of some other mastermind behind it all. But I think I am going to stick with the original plan, because I have someone else in mind for a master villain orchestrating events from behind the scenes. He is back there already, we just do not know it yet. He won't be revealed until chapter 4. But given your idea, I did go back and try to add some more cursory evidence that Red Avalanche was the real killer.

This is one of the things I like about posting here. Feedback like this helps me immensely, because I cannot look at the story from every angle, so I miss opportunities sometimes. Having other people to point them out is a great help!

As always, the location of Emilia's house can be found on the Stormcrow Map

Macbeth Act5, Scene 5 (A Tale Told By An Idiot quote)

Counting Crows - Mr Jones

Counting Crows - A Long December

Counting Crows - Four Days

Book 3.13 - Stormcrow Burning

"So how do you deal with it?" January asked. "He tries to kill her and a hundred other people, and then he kills himself. It all just seems so pointless. Like Shakespeare said: it's a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

"Alcohol, lots of alcohol," Emilia replied. "Look, this is the hardest part of the job. The truth is when someone is dead there is no real point or reason that makes it better. Whether it's accidental, or random, or filled with passion, or cold and calculated, in the end, dead is dead. All those tomorrows lost forever."

They walked away from Gray's apartment complex. The Detroit Police had taken over the scene, leaving nothing left for them to do. The parking lot glowed with spinning red and blue lights. There were police cars, an ambulance, and the medical examiner's van. The news crews were just arriving as well.

January did not feel like being on television right now. At first it had been a thrill. But now every time a camera was pointed at her, she felt like an actor on a stage, playing a role. She was keenly aware of how people might interpret her part, or worse misinterpret it. A lifetime on the internet had taught her how quickly people were to read whatever they wanted into even the most innocuous of statements or actions. Not to mention how easily quotes and edited videos could deliberately be portrayed out of context in order to make someone look bad.

Maybe the Detroit Police were doing Blood Raven a favor, by scaring the local media away from her? Didn't that just give her carte blanche to quietly do her work in the shadows?

"Want to grab a beer?" Emilia asked.

It was late, and January was exhausted. Now that the adrenaline from the fire and the investigation had long since worn off, her body felt like lead. A weariness that soaked her bones pulled at her eyelids. She was worn out. Worse from any workout or fight she had ever took part in.

Was this a debilitating side effect of the healing Blood Raven had worked upon her? Or was it just the night finally catching up with her?

She knew that she should just go home, and pass out in her bed. But the last thing she felt like doing was sleeping. The last thing she wanted was to be alone.

"I would love to." January glanced over at the nearest news van. "But wouldn't they love to put that on TV."

"Come back to my place then," the state trooper said.

"You're on."

January followed the Puerto Rican woman to her Jeep. She was thankful for the darkness, for none of the news crews noticed them in all the hullabaloo. They sped off into the night with Jennifer Lopez playing over the speakers. January wanted to laugh. What could be more stereotypical? At least it wasn't country.

"So are they all like this?" January turned her eyes from the streets sliding by, and looked at the other woman.

"No," Emilia said. "They usually aren't so... grim, nor so quick."

"To be honest, the two of you really shouldn't have been involved. You should leave this kind of thing to the regular police." Emilia continued after a long pause. "Oh, I don't mean the fire. Disasters like that are exactly what capes like you are best at, that and fighting other metas of course. But regular police work, following up on leads and making arrests, it's better if you leave that to people like me."

"I thought we could help," January wanted to pout, but hoped that she was not doing so. "We got the type of car he had, and Blood Raven did her... whammy... to find out who the killer was."

"We would have gotten all that eventually, and it all would have held up in court," Emilia contended. "The product of meta-human power use is not admissible as evidence. Defense attorneys love seeing capes. You guys are great at punching things, not so good at legally gathering evidence, or upholding their client's civil rights."

"Well, that is why I called you," January said. "I wanted a real cop involved. One I could trust."

"Thank you," Emilia said. "That means, well, we don't always hear people say that. Please don't take this the wrong way. We need people like you out there. But there are some things that people like me still do better. Even supers with full legal empowerment - like the Sentinels over in Chicago - generally leave the actual police work to the police."

"Done," January said. "I like working with you."

"Well that made one of you," Emilia sighed.

"I think Blood Raven did too," January argued. "She may not have always agreed with you. But she did listen to you, the entire time."

"You like her don't you?"

"I grew up hearing stories about her," January shrugged. "She's as much a part of Detroit as the Tigers, or Better Made, or the Big Tire on I-94. I didn't know what to think of meeting her. She's even more larger than life than I ever could have imagined. But she's also more human than an urban legend ever could be. She's very standoffish, but also kind. She was very compassionate back at the fire. She didn't have to be. She strikes me as being very alone. Like she does not dare to show people her heart."

"But you don' t like her much, do you?" Now it was January's turn to ask.

"I didn't say that," Emilia replied.

"You didn't have to," January contended.

"Look it's hard for a police officer to like someone who's killed so many people as her," Emilia sighed. "Yes, I was in the Army. I know that sometimes you do what you have to, and it doesn't make you evil. But when a vigilante is the person of interest in so many murders, well, it's hard."

"I'm a vigilante too," January pointed out.

"But you haven't killed anyone," Emilia said.

"That might change," January said. "I hope not. But this is real life, not a comic book. No one knows what is going to happen, or what choices we might have to make. I don't think anyone has the right to so easily judge her. There but for the grace of the goddess we all go."

Emilia's place was a small, red brick house in Hazel Park. It was barely a mile from January's own house in Warren. The furniture was simple, but tasteful. There was an image of the Virgin Mary on one wall, along with prints of a sunset beach, and a brilliantly colored traditional Spanish city street. Small throw pillows on the couch were decorated with the Puerto Rican flag. There were numerous pictures of people that must have been her family all about. If so, she had been right about what she said in the hospital. She had a big family.

The entire space had a very warm, inviting, and definitely Latin feeling. January found it immensely comfortable.

January noted several cd racks near the stereo. She drifted over to look at them, while Emilia took off her badge and gun and vanished into the kitchen. January could not believe that anyone had cds anymore. Or even a stereo. There was a tuner, a cd player, even a tape deck in the stack of electronics. She wondered if Emilia had a horse and buggy back in the garage?

Emilia returned with a two bottles of beer, and offered one to January.

"You know, technically I'm not old enough to drink this," the 19-year-old noted as she accepted one of the cold bottles.

"Take a walk on the wild side chica," Emilia laughed.

January took a sip, and immediately made a face.

"You people drink this stuff?" she gagged. "It's terrible."

Emilia laughed. "It grows on you."

January set the bottle down on a coaster. She felt a little dizzy, like her head was too heavy, and moving it made the world seem to slosh around back and forth. She stared back down at the beer. Surely one sip could not have caused that?

January blinked hard, and looked away. She noticed a framed picture of Emilia and woman with soft brown skin, straightened hair, and sloe eyes. They looked very cozy together.

'Who is that?"

"That's Jennifer, my girlfriend." Emilia said proudly. "She's a teacher in Oak Park. I met her through work."

"I hope you weren't arresting her students!"

"Oh no," Emilia laughed. "For the last year I've been doing community service. I do a lot of outreach with kids, plus social media monitoring, and working with neighborhood watch programs, and other things."

"That actually sounds nice," January said.

"Yeah, before that I spent seven years on highway patrol, and two more as a detective," Emilia made a face. "It's not that bad most days. Except the times you have to peel someone off the highway, or pull the needle out of a dead addict's arm."

"That sounds gruesome," January winced. She immediately thought of the the oxygen-starved body of John Gray hanging from the ceiling.

"You learn to build a callus to it," Emilia shrugged. "Just keep calm and carry on like the Brits say."

Was she going to have to build that callus? Right now, it sounded good. But she wondered, how thick was Blood Raven's callus? Is that why she was so distant from people? Was she building up barriers on purpose to protect herself from emotional pain?

This was the problem with being a writer. It taught her to try to see every character's point of view and motivations, whether she really wanted to or not.

"You aren't going to drink that are you?" Emilia nodded to the beer, which had gone untouched since January had set it down.

"I'm sorry," January shook her head. "I guess I am just not a beer person."

"Well your waist will thank you for that," Emilia said. "I could look to see if I have any milk and cookies."

"Actually milk would be great," January said seriously. "It does a body good after all."

"Could you be any more Lawful Good?" Emilia laughed as she took the beer bottle back into the kitchen. "I suppose you ride a unicorn in your spare time?"

"That would be so dope!" January again said in all seriousness. "You know D&D though? You don't look like a gamer."

"My brother roped me into playing it a couple of times. That was back before I joined the Army." Emilia's voice floated out from the kitchen. "I thought it was kind of silly, playing make-believe with dice. I suppose you loved it right? Hey, do you like Dr Piper?"

"Do I ever!" January said loudly, so her voice would be heard in the other room. She pulled down the front of her armored tunic. She fished out her new raven banner pendant and turned on the video camouflage unit built into it. Then she tucked it back under her armor before Emilia could return.

"You like D&D, or Dr P?" Emilia returned from around the corner with a can of the latter.

"Both," January said. "Dr P better though. I never liked the magic system in D&D. You cast a spell and then forget it? Magic doesn't work like that. To be honest, D&D's more like a gateway drug. You start with it because that's all anyone has ever heard of. Then you move on to much better games, like Shadowrun or Call of Cthulhu."

"I had you pegged for a nerd," Emilia smiled. "You have that whole smart, thoughtful, social awkwardness thing going, just like my brother Eduardo. Let me guess, you played a Paladin."

"Why thank you," January said as she accepted the can of pop, which proudly announced that it was made from a blend of 33 flavors. "I was always more partial to Monks however. I have a Kenku Monk named Harmony, or just Harm for short."

"A what-ku?" Emilia did not try to hide her consternation.

"It's like a humanoid crow, but without wings," January explained.

"Of course," Emilia made a show of face-palming. "I guess I should have seen that from a mile away."

"Let me guess, you were a Fighter?" January ventured.

"Close," Emilia said, "a Ranger. Eduardo showed me pictures of this Dark Elf guy with twin scimitars, and I thought that was pretty cool."

"Drizzt!" January exclaimed. "Yeah, he made everyone want to play a Drow, myself included."

"So do you see anything you like?" Emilia nodded to the music collection that January had parked herself in front of.

January looked back over the cds. She was tempted to remark how old they all were. But even a nerd like her knew that would not be very tactful. Then her eyes glowed when they settled upon a gem.

"You have Counting Crows?" she exclaimed. "I love them!"

"I should have known!" Emilia laughed, and gestured to the crow logo emblazoned across January's armor. "I suppose you like the Black Crows too"

"No," January shook her head. "They're just a bunch of stoners making noise."

She fished out the cd and put it in the player. She cued it up to the fourth song. In a moment a guitar came strumming through the speakers, and she nodded along to the music.

"Let me guess, your favorite Counting Crows song is Mr. Jones!" Emilia laughed.

January stuck her tongue out at the older woman. "That's like the one they always played on the radio back in the day right? No, my favorite used to always be Long December."

"Isn't that kind of depressing?" Emilia asked, and took a swig from her beer.

"My friend Gadget says all their songs are depressing." January admitted. "But it always sounded hopeful to me."

"And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe,
Maybe this year will be better than the last.
I can't remember all the times I tried to tell my myself,
To hold on to these moments as they pass."

"You said used to," Emilia noted, "so what's your favorite now?"

"This is it," January nodded to the speakers. "Four Days. It always makes me think of flying."

"Take a breath,
Take your time,
Spread your wings and rise,
Rise into the black Ohio skies."

"So what's it like, flying?" Emilia asked more seriously.

"Awesome," January said plainly. "It is pure, unadulterated awesome. When I am in the sky, everything else just falls away. All puns intended. Sometimes I feel that I could soar to Valhalla."

"If you aren't careful, you just might," Emilia pointed out."

"That's fine with me. But I'd rather to go Sessrúmnir." January said honestly. She went on when it was plain that Emilia did not know what she was talking about. "It's Freyja's hall. She and her Valkyrjur gather up the slain. She gives half to Odin, and those ones go to Valhalla. She keeps the other half in her own hall. Since she's a nice person, she even brings their loved ones back when they die too, so they all can spend the rest of eternity together."

"That is very thoughtful," Emilia nodded.

"She's a cool chick with a hot ass," January said completely deadpan. Emilia nearly sprayed a mouthful of beer all over her.

"Well, that's what I heard anyway," January winked.

"The Wedding Singer for the win," Emilia smiled. "You know, you're pretty cool too Crow. What do I even call you? Storm? Crow? Crowgirl?"

"Well I think calling me Storm might get me sued by a certain comic book company…" January whistled. "But I do kind of like Crowgirl. It has a nice feel to it."

"Crowgirl it is then," Emilia held up her beer bottle, and January clinked her Dr Piper against it.

While January was sitting there feeling chill, she remembered something important.

"Oh snap! I need to text my mom to tell her I'll be out late!"

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 11 2020, 08:06 PM
Post #157

Paladin
Group Icon

This was simply a wonderful episode, chock full of good one-on-one girl talk! I bet you had as much fun writing it as I did reading it.

The ladies covered a lot of ground over plenty of subjects, but the big news is that Crowgirl unveiled herself to a new and trusted friend.

That Emilia has a girlfriend both simplifies and complicates things – if that makes sense. As a blossoming superheroine, January has enough new things going on in her life right now. Emilia’s friendship, trust and connection to police stuff is plenty for now.

"Video camouflage," January said. "My alignment isn't Stupid Good you know." tongue.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Jan 13 2020, 12:39 AM
Post #158

Master
Group Icon

This was a great chapter! The exchange between the two was very insightful, and I enjoyed reading it. Jan's thoughts here showed much of what's been happening.

"January did not feel like being on television right now. At first it had been a thrill. But now every time a camera was pointed at her, she felt like an actor on a stage, playing a role. She was keenly aware of how people might interpret her part, or worse misinterpret it. A lifetime on the internet had taught her how quickly people were to read whatever they wanted into even the most innocuous of statements or actions. Not to mention how easily quotes and edited videos could deliberately be portrayed out of context in order to make someone look bad.
The power of the press, huh. Even in our own world media can be altered in a dishonest fashion to further one's agenda. The media itself can be just as powerful as any super-villain out there. She's wise to worry about this, too!

There was much insight on the the legal aspects of the follow-up of a crime, and how metas are their own thing. I'd like to believe both are very much needed and the one can't live without the other, of course.

I can see why Emilia would be distrustful of Blood Raven. When someone has that much power and was responsible for deaths, even, let's say, somewhat justifiable deaths, its still a slippery slope when it comes to morals, especially in this modern age.

The entire space had a very warm, inviting, and definitely Latin feeling. January found it immensely comfortable.
This was on point! Since half of my family is Latin in a way, I can totally agree with this!

"You people drink this stuff?" she gagged. "It's terrible."
laugh.gif laugh.gif Jan is totally a milk drinker!

I honestly thought Emilia would be a love interest. Actually, I still think she might be a love interest.

Note: I'm curious about the Sentinels in Chicago now!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 13 2020, 03:52 PM
Post #159

Councilor
Group Icon

Okay yes, that's good her mask covers all her face. Still, I can't help thinking maybe her eyes are distinctive enough for somebody to say "WAIT!.. I know those eyes..."

The product of metahuman power use is not admissible as evidence. Defense attorneys love seeing capes. You guys are great at punching things, not so good at legally gathering evidence, or upholding their client's civil rights."

Interesting. I can see Emilia's side of the argument too, since that is exactly what defense lawyers do, look for any kind of way to cause a mistrial.

So there are capes over Chicago too! Dang, we really need a couple in Baltimore? More than a couple.

his is one of the things I like about posting here. Feedback like this helps me immensely, because I cannot look at the story from every angle, so I miss opportunities sometimes. Having other people to point them out is a great help!

Glad we could help.

MY gosh you scared me at the end. I forgot about Gadget's pixelation software, or whatever his anti-camera doo-dad does.

This post has been edited by Renee: Jan 14 2020, 02:00 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 18 2020, 05:44 PM
Post #160

Ancient
Group Icon

Acadian: I had a ton of fun nerding out when I wrote that episode. I have not had the chance to show January's nerd half since the beginning of the chapter, when the Knights of Nerddom were around.

I know exactly what you mean about Emilia's having a girlfriend makes things simpler and more complex. On one hand it means she is off limits romantically. OTOH, someone being off limits romantically tends to make them much more romantically alluring. But Emilia is also... thirty! ohmy.gif January would never think of dating someone so ancient. She's practically a mummy!

January is trying really hard to avoid being Stupid Good. But she won't always succeed.

Darkness Eternal: One of the things about making this a contemporary story is the way everyone has a camera in their phone, and everyone can't wait to put their video and pictures on the internet. Even just back in the 90s, the world was incredibly different. January only knows what that world was like from watching old movies and TV shows. Her entire life as been on the internet. Now she is starting to see the downsides of the "pics or it didn't happen" culture we now live in.

I googled Latin Home and Puerto Rico Home to get some ideas for how Emilia's house would look inside. I have to admit, that everything I saw looked very warm and comfortable and inviting.

January is absolutely a milk drinker!

It sounds like everyone is curious about the Sentinels since I have name-dropped them so many times. I don't really have any definite plans for them to appear just yet. They are just an example of the world that January lives in, where superheros are a reality. Being the biggest city in the Midwest, I figured Chicago would have one of the most high-profile super teams in the country, along with New York and LA. I imagine most major cities only have one or maybe two local heroes at most. Like Detroit now has Blood Raven and Stormcrow.

Renee: January is definitely not doing the Clark Kent move of "glasses will protect my secret identity" shtick. She basically has everything covered up except what she needs to see, breathe, and eat.

I do want to create a world where the police are not made obsolete by capes. I hope to eventually show an ideal situation of being one where the capes complement the police by adding some extra firepower and ability to act 'outside the box' of mundane reality. I created Emilia to serve as that touchpoint with the police, whom January can work with.

Don't forget Gadget's Video Camouflage!

Aunt Branwen

Aunt Branwen Again

Book 3.14 - Stormcrow Burning

January stifled a yawn as she rode out of Adin's dojo the next afternoon. She had not been up that late with Emilia the previous night. In fact she had left shortly after texting her mother. But sleep had not come easily when she had finally gotten home. Every time she closed her eyes, she saw Gray's hanging body.

Thankfully she did not have school any more, and would not for months. But she still had to work. Many martial arts studios were closed on the weekends. Adin kept his open because most people worked during the week, so they often took advantage of weekends to practice at his studio.

At least Sundays were not too hectic. It was open mat day, with no organized classes. That allowed her to spend most of the day simply hanging back and vegetating. The few times she sparred with members of other schools she had quickly found herself staring at the ceiling with her back on the mat. Adin had quickly noted that she was not herself, and told her to go home. She was too tired to argue.

She stopped at two different apartment complexes on the way back to look them over. She was not thrilled with what she saw. So far everything was either too expensive, or too sketchy. Nothing felt right. But her mother was moving out in a few days. She had to either find her own place, or go live with her at her grandmother's in Livonia. She did not mind her grandma Sarah. But Livonia! It was practically the moon.

"This is Gilda Gadfly of Worldwide Network News, and do I have some dish for you folks today!"

Avery had given her a pair of wireless ear pods and connected them to a new radio he had installed on the Stormcycle. Now she could listen to something while she rode.

"Are you people in the Motor City tuned in? Because Detroit's latest sensation Stormcrow just teamed up with none other than Blood Raven! That's right, the black and red scourge of Detroit's criminal element - well, I could have just said scourge of Detroit right? - is actually playing nice with another cape. I can't think of the last time the scary red Raven has been willing to rub shoulders with any other super. Is it the Crowgirl's winning personality? Or do birds of a feather really flock together? I smell a super team in the making, so keep your eyes on the Detroit skies for these two blackbirds."

The gossipy reporter went on to talk about the Flying Dutchman fire from the night before. She listened briefly, then tapped on the control panel of the bike to turn it off. She had been there. She knew what had happened.

Finally she pulled up to the house, and was pleased to see that her brother's car was gone. At least there was that one small thing to be thankful for. Her father's car was still there however. Even though she had barely said two words to him in the last week, she had no desire to increase that number. The less she had to do with him, the better.

She threaded her way between the cars in the driveway and walked her bike onto the patio behind the house. She locked the Victory down to the concrete there, and pulled off her helmet. She took a moment to let her hair down from the simple braid she normally wore while riding before going inside.

Something felt strange. She could not put her finger on exactly what. It was not a wrongness, just something different. She smelled something coppery. Or did she taste it? She wondered if she was just allowing her imagination to get the best of her, or if it was just the stress of the last few days. Well, the last week really.

The last thing she expected to see was Blood Raven sitting at the kitchen table calmly drinking coffee with her mother and father.

The other heroine wasn't wearing her red and black armor of course. She was dressed normal, in a pair of jeans, a fitted top, and sweater with only the top button done up. The snarky part of January's brain wanted to remind her that 1990 was calling for its fashion back. It was not hard to ignore that part.

January also noted that her hair was different. It was styled in a short, choppy bob around her head, and was an ordinary shade of auburn. Last night it had been a literal crimson waterfall spilling down past her shoulders. Likewise, her rosy skin was now lit with warm undertones, and her eyes were the green of an Irish forest. If January did not know better, she would have sworn that this was an entirely different person. But she did know better. She did not know how she knew. She just did.

January nearly dropped both her helmet and her copy of Apartment Buyer's Guide. Apparently she covered her surprise well enough. Or at least well enough to be explained, because neither of her parents were perturbed by her reaction. Blood Raven herself simply stared back at her, face a mask.

"Look who's here honey," her mother put on a smile that even January knew was forced. "It's your aunt Branwen."

"She has not come to visit in a long time," her father said. January's heart doubled a beat at the sound of his voice. It instantly brought back memories of that same voice the week before, extolling the litany of her failures as a human being. "Not since, what, fifteen or sixteen years."

"Not since you were three," 'Branwen' stared at January from over the rim of her coffee cup. "Certainly, your countenance has changed much since then."

"That's funny, I don't remember you at all." Now that the shock was wearing off, January felt her hackles begin to rise. How dare she come here! She might be new to the cape life, but she knew this was completely out of bounds. Her fingers curled into a fist, and she did not try very hard to uncurl them.

"You were too young then," her mother said. She nodded for January to come to the table. One of the family photo albums was laid out there with its pages open. She looked down to see a picture of herself - barely a toddler - sitting on "Branwen's" knee. Next to it was another of her and her brother practically buried under Christmas wrappings on the living room floor, with "Branwen" laughing in the background with her parents.

January stared dumbfounded. Now her fingers did relax of their own accord. Jedi mind tricks were one thing. But these photos were real. They were her, and her entire family, right there with Blood Raven herself. Only clearly no one else knew who she really was. Just as they did not know that she was Stormcrow.

"I swear, you haven't aged a day since then Branwen," January heard her mother say. Her voice seemed far away, as if it was coming from the moon instead of right beside her.

"The advantages of eating healthy and living a clean life," "Branwen" responded. "But look at you too Barbara, you are as young as ever as well."

Her mother blushed, and January stared back down at the pictures. Her mother had been right. "Branwen" had not aged a day since those pictures had been taken, what sixteen years ago? Was that the advantages of superpowers, or something else?

"So where have you been all this time, aunt Branwen?" January set her pink motorcycle helmet down upon the kitchen counter. She tried to keep her voice cool, and suppress the sarcasm that wanted to rise from her throat.

"Traveling, writing, working," Blood Raven said. "I allowed myself to fall out of touch. But I am glad I reached out again. Aren't you?"

"What made you decide to come by again, today of all days?" her father asked. He was clearly trying to put on a polite face. But January was certain he would rather be anywhere than entertaining a guest with his estranged wife and child.

"The fire last night," Blood Raven said smoothly. "It reminded me how fleeting life is. How quickly it slips by us, and before we know, it is gone. It looks like I was just in time."

"Since we're moving out?" January lobbed that out like an artillery shell. She was rewarded with a squirm from her father. But her heart sank when an equally uncomfortable look darkened her mother's face.

"Yes," Blood Raven said, holding January's gaze. "I would hate to have missed you. The world can move so fast sometimes. It seems only yesterday that I watched you learning to walk. Now look at you. So much has changed. I wish I had been here for it."

"Yes, a great deal has, changed," her father noted sourly, and shot a dark look at January.

"Her transition?" Blood Raven said. "How very extraordinary. I applaud you, January. Did you know that at one time almost every culture in the world believed gay and transgender people had special powers? They were always held among the greatest of magicians and holy people."

"They were the Enarees of the Scythians, the Semnotatoi who served Hecate, the Galli of Cybele. The list goes on and on, from Europe, across Siberia, to here in the Americas. One of my colleagues likes to say that you could not swing a goddess by the tail in the old days without hitting one of her transgender priestesses. You follow a long and noble tradition."

Her father rolled his eyes, but her mother looked pleased to hear that.

"Did you know that your aunt is a writer?" she said. "You know, January is going to be a writer as well."

"You're Branwen Renner!" The realization blossomed within her like an exploding star. This time January could not contain her stare of amazement. "I have some of your books, like An Introduction to Wicca."

"What did you think of it?" Blood Raven continued to lock her gaze upon January.

"It helped me learn to find my power," January gave back her stare.

"Good," Blood Raven smiled. "Very good. I can send you more of my books. Perhaps you can show me some of your own writing as well? Are you interested in non-fiction, like your father? Or fiction?"

"Fiction," January felt her ears start to burn, as they always did whenever someone started asking about her writing. "Fantasy, swords and sorcery, that kind of thing."

"Like Tolkien," Blood Raven smiled and leaned forward. "I very much enjoyed his writing. It would have been nice to have seen a few more female characters in it however, in more active roles."

"Eowyn did kill the Witch King," January's mother pointed out.

"Yes, something 'no man' could do," Blood Raven noted. "I thought that was rather clever on his part, and revolutionary, given the times."

"But now I am afraid I have a plane to catch," "Branwen" pulled out her phone. "I had best call for my Cyber-Cab, they can get backed up sometimes."

January had to fight down a secret smile. Cyber-Cab had started the day after she had talked Isaac down from going on a robot rampage through the city. Now he was making his mark on the world in a much more positive way

"That new company with the fully robotic cars?" January's father scoffed, "you're braver than I thought."

"They may have started just a few days ago, but they drive just fine," 'Branwen' insisted. "They do not engage one with inane chatter, nor engender uncomfortable silences without it."

"And I suppose you do not have to wonder if you are supposed to tip them or not," January's mother added. Then she turned to January. "But January can take you. It will give you two more time to catch up."

"That would be wonderful." 'Branwen' put her phone away and smiled. "I understand you posses a motorcycle."

January opened her mouth to protest, then shut it again. No, this would be ideal. She wanted answers, to questions she could not voice with her parents around.

"Let me get you a helmet." January darted up the stairs to her bedroom, and dug through her closet for her spare helmet. It was not the old Bell helmet she had originally used. She had given that back to Avery. This was a half-helmet, with a faded metallic red surface. Unlike her full-faced helmet, it was not all scratched up. It had cost just as much on Ebuy however.

She came back down to find her new 'aunt' waiting by the door. After a few hugs, plainly forced on her father's part, she led January out the back door. She did not say a word as she pulled the half helmet over her head, and January did likewise with her own, full-faced helmet. She slipped onto the back of the bike a moment after January.

Her arms slid around January's waist. She instantly tasted blood in her mouth, and smelled it in her nostrils. By now January was not surprised. After what she had seen of Blood Raven's ability to control blood last night, it was clear that her name was not accidental.

She sped off without a word, and took them around the block. Then she stopped and looked back over her shoulder.

"So where are we really going, Auntie Branwen," this time January did not try to conceal the sarcasm from her voice.

"You are right, I am not really your aunt," Blood Raven said. "But my blood does flow through your veins. I smelled it when you were in Hart Plaza. Later at the Flying Dutchman there was no mistaking it. You are one of my descendants."

"How can that be?" January could not hide the skepticism from her voice. "Are you trying to say that you're my mother?"

"Many more generations removed than that," Blood Raven said. "Let us be off, to a place we might speak in private. All will be made clear then."

--------------------
+Quote Post

51 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:23 PM