Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy the Bowgirl, Book 1, Thread 4, Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?
Acadian
post Mar 10 2011, 02:05 PM
Post #1

Paladin
Group Icon

Welcome to Thread 4, or the fourth season of Buffy's Book 1!

This book began with Buffy being briefly incarcerated in the Imperial Prison, and will end as she attempts to bring freedom to the city of Kvatch. It is a sprawling story that will require more than 150 episodes, spread over five threads. Appropriately, I have nicknamed Book 1, 'Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?'

Thread 1 included episodes 1-26.

Thread 2 began with a brief recap of thread one, then included episodes 27-56.

Thread 3 began with a brief recap of thread two, then included episodes 57-84.

Please allow me to offer a small summary of our previous thread that I hope might prove useful as a review, or for those who are joining us in progress:

Thread three began with Buffy's sixteen-part miniseries called 'The Leyawiin Expedition'. In Leyawiin, Buffy completed Daedric Shrine quests for Nocturnal and Sanguine. She befriended the orc, Mazoga and the two ladies became Knights Errant of the White Stallion. Buffy learned much of courtly ways and convinced Count Leyawiin to send a soldier named Sergeant Lucilius Marcus to Kvatch to help Savlian Matius. Buffy also convinced Captain Caelia Draconis, of the Leyawiin guard, to send letters to her counterparts in each of the other cities requesting that they consider following Count Leyawiin's example of providing some assistance to Kvatch.

Dagail, of the mages guild, helped Acadian gain the power of speech to augment his telepathic ability.

As Buffy prepared to leave Leyawiin, she and Acadian pondered the wisdom of their course. Trying to learn how to defeat Mehrunes Dagon's Oblivion Gate at Kvatch by consulting other Daedra Lords had yielded no answers. They agreed to seek the advice of the only Daedra Lord who had helped Buffy at all - Azura.

After visiting and obtaining the advice of Azura, Buffy made her way to the Daedra Lord Peryite. There she discovered that her paladin was actually an ancient Nordic dragonrider who perished centuries ago along with his ice dragon, Phantom. Fellow dragon Peryite was intrigued enough to offer Buffy the opportunity to learn what she sought - how to survive Oblivion and fight Daedra. And fight she did, emerging from Peryite's plane as a Daedra Slayer.

Buffy than asked the Arcane University for assistance to Kvatch. After investigating a matter at Wellspring Grove for Raminus Polus, Buffy earned a promise that her request would be taken to the Council of Mages. Raminus told her it would likely be two weeks before the Council would convene and that he would send word to Buffy's guild chapter in Bravil when he had a decision for her.

Now, for those newer readers who would like to catch up to us in one short sitting, you might find this helpful: Buffy – The Executive Summary Thread.

We now join Buffy as she arrives in Bravil and begins a massive storyline called 'The Tournament of Archers'. Although it will span less than two weeks of the bowgirl's young life, it will require this entire thread and approximately thirty five episodes for her to tell the tale.

85 The Tournament of Archers, Part 1- Home to Bravil

It was fall harvest time, and the air was cool enough that Superian's unlabored breathing created clouds of mist in the moonlight. As the warm moisture drifted back and encountered my cooler body, her breath turned to droplets. After a night of riding, I was wet and chilled.

Finally, streaks of morning sunshine began to slip between the trees and blaze cheerful beams across our path. The elusive kisses of warmth on my left side were welcome. Birds were beginning to flit and dance now, among the branches that formed a canopy above the Green Road.

We had not stopped, except for the occasional bandit or animal attack since leaving Harm's Folly. Helping Corrick had been the right thing to do, but I was aching to get home. I still had almost two weeks before I might expect word from the Council of Mages regarding help for Kvatch. I looked forward to spending the delay in Bravil.

Gradually, the leafy canopy fell behind us, yielding to thinner forest and an occasional glimpse of the Upper Niben as it began to widen. The sun had climbed, and now fully bathed us in its delicious warmth. As familiar walls surrounding the City of Mara came into view, my heart joined the birds overhead in song. I leaned forward to pat Superian's neck. "We're finally home, girl."

"Hail Bu- I mean Dame Buffy!" The booming voice came from a mail-clad soldier, wearing the surcoat of a Bravil guard. As I got closer, I recognized the smiling Imperial standing post at the bridge to the city's gate.

"And hail to you, Gladius." I reined Superian to a stop next to the man and slid to the ground. "That's the first and last time I expect to hear that 'Dame' stuff from you," I playfully chided. "Wherever did you hear such a thing anyway?"

"A Legion rider by the name of Lucilius Marcus passed through here some time ago on his way from Leyawiin to Kvatch, and spoke of you. He said they dubbed you a knight errant down there. Is it true that you talked Lord Leyawiin himself into sending help to Kvatch?"

"True enough I guess, Gladius. I really don't care for titles though. I just want to be a simple girl from Bravil." Extending both arms to emphasize my simple hunting attire I pleaded, "Seriously, do I look like a knight? Just Buffy. Please?"

"Fair enough, Buffy." The professional soldier's weathered face creased into a warm smile. "Welcome home."

"Thank you. . . my friend." Although the words were a little hard to say, they were justified.

I led Superian to the Bay Roan Stables and started uncinching her saddle.

Gladius Maro had killed my beautiful friend City Swimmer. The Argonian had stolen from the chapel then resisted arrest with her dagger. The guard had given City Swimmer every opportunity to yield, but she persisted in her attack. She was no match for the veteran swordsman who was forced to cut her down.

I remembered drawing my bow against Gladius in anger, then realizing City Swimmer's death was her own fault. I knew Slayer could not ease my grief, and yielded to the guard. Gladius had gently placed his hand upon my shoulder as I wept, the lifeless City Swimmer in my arms. He had also provided a strong and steady arm than helped keep me from breaking down at the Argonian's simple funeral.

"Well, how's my girl?"

Startled, my thoughts of Gladius evaporated and I turned my head toward the cheerful words. The stable hand, in rough clothes, produced an apple and offered it to Superian. He then joined me in removing the mare's tack and grooming her.

"I'm sure she's missed you, Antoine." I gave the ruddy-faced Breton a handful of coins. "She quite adores you and the way you spoil her."

Antoine looked at the gold, then pocketed it. "You always pay more for Superian's care than you need to, Buffy. I like your mare, and would treat her my best without your extra money."

"I know that, Antoine." I shrugged. "Much of my gold does indeed go for Superian's care. My needs are simple though, so I don't miss it"

As I opened the door to the Mage's Guild, I noticed a small figure with his back toward me speaking to Ardaline. A bow and quiver rode outside the black traveling cloak he wore, and his hood was drawn back upon his shoulders. He ran a hand through unkempt brown hair, displaying the distinctive ears of a wood elf.

Ardaline saw me as I approached and I heard her say to the Bosmer, "Just a moment please." She then grinned, and quickly moved from behind her alchemy counter to give me a fierce hug. Breaking away and stepping back, the Altmer wagged an elegant finger. "You've been gone entirely too long. The only news of you we get is an occasional 'Buffy sighting' from the odd Legion soldier or Black Horse Courier rider.

"I know, I know," I said sheepishly. Changing the subject, I added, "Who's your friend?"

"I'm sorry," said Ardaline as she looked at the elf. "This is Aradroth. He recently moved here to Bravil. Aradroth, this is Buffy." Ardaline looked down at me and continued sternly, "She lives in Bravil too, but you wouldn't know it sometimes. Buffy's a fine illusionist and about the best archer around - well, except for Daenlin of course."

"G'day Buffy, how ya going?" As the elf extended a hand, his unusual words revealed an exotic accent I couldn't place. The polite smile did not match his slate gray eyes. They were cold, bored or devoid of passion - I couldn't determine which. They were also somehow familiar.

I offered my hand also, but he reached past it to grip my forearm in a warrior clasp. His stature was short - less than mine even - but his hand was strong. Instinctively I grasped his forearm in return.

"Well met, Aradroth." Face to face now, I could see that under his cloak he wore a black leather raiment. A sheath was strapped upside down to his chest, restraining a dagger. There was an elven short blade attached to his sword belt.

As Ardaline and Aradroth concluded their business, I placed several portions of fresh ectoplasm into a bowl on the alchemy counter. The Altmer's pretty blue eyes lit up. "Thank you, Buffy. I was running low. I see you've just cleared the chapel's undercroft again." She produced some coins. "Is this enough for your efforts?"

I dropped the gold into my coin purse without really looking and smiled. "Sure it is, Ardaline. I only need enough to board Superian, buy a few arrows and the odd bottle of Tamika's."

The blond Altmer giggled. "Remember the last time we shared some Tamika's? The pillow fight and fashion show? I thought Kud-Ei was going to kill us!"

"Oh yes!" I grinned. "If Delphine had kept her mouth shut, we might have gotten the feathers cleaned up before-"

"Ahem." Aradroth cleared his throat, looking understandably bored. "Shock poisons?" The question, as he looked at the ectoplasm with a raised eyebrow, seemed more of a statement.

Without really thinking, I responded, "Well, that's one use, although the resulting poison can be a bit heavier than other options. Lighter weight poisons with more lethal and immobilizing effects can be created if-" Suddenly I noticed Ardaline staring at me, her mouth agape. I couldn't help but see a flicker of interest in Aradroth's eyes however. "-um, I mean, at least that's what they told me in alchemy class. Ardaline and I mostly use it in our hair conditioner recipe." I didn't add that the Bosmer's unruly brown mane could certainly benefit from some conditioning.

The smile from Aradroth did not extend to those gray eyes. He tipped two fingers to an eyebrow. "Ladies." Wheeling, he then pulled the cloak's hood over his head and made for the door. The lithe, effortlessly quiet exit revealed that he was no stranger to the ways of stealth.

Daenlin's face burst into a grin as I entered the Archer's Paradox. "Buffy! Welcome home." He grabbed both my hands and held them out to my sides as he inspected me. "You look wonderful, but a little underfed." He craned his head to peek into my quiver and frowned. "Getting a mite low back there don't you think?" Without giving me a chance to speak, he glanced at the wood elf in the corner of his shop inspecting arrows. "Have you met Aradroth?"

Finally, I pulled my hands free and gave the balding Bosmer a kiss on the cheek to shut him up. "Yes." I smiled. "I'm low on arrows, it's wonderful to be home and I've met Aradroth." I then added, "Daenlin, I need twenty broadhead elven arrows and five of those enchanted armor-piercing ones."

"That mix sounds like a beauty. I'll have the same," said Aradroth.

Daenlin scratched his head. "Not exactly deer hunting fare, you two. Let me check my stock on the second floor."

I watched Daenlin as he climbed the stairs, then turned to study Aradroth's unreadable face. I spoke first, "Given your arrow selection, it seems we've more in common than an appetite for poisons, yes?"

"So it seems," Aradroth replied with no emotion in his voice. He then cocked his head slightly. "Ardaline's a dear sheila but I believe I could learn more about the darker side of alchemy from you. Dinner? Perhaps Silverhome on the Water tonight at seven?"

I blinked, surprised at his matter-of-fact forwardness. Surely his interest in me couldn't be. . . no, I decided. Not with those cold, almost mean eyes. I expected his motive was curiosity. I was full of questions myself as I looked at his bow and curved elven short sword. I had no doubt he knew how to use them. Then, there was that intriguing black armor raiment and cloak. "I'm very flattered, Aradroth, but must decline. I'll be cooking dinner for Daenlin tonight like I always do upon returning to Bravil. I'm sure we can get together soon at my guildhall though."

Aradroth gave me a polite smile that did not reach his eyes. "I'll hold you to it. I hope that -"

"Well, you're both in luck in seems," interrupted Daenlin as he came down the stairs, his arms full of arrows. "Now, I've inspected each one of these." He began doling them out. "Have you heard? The archery tournament is to be held in Bravil this year, and within the week. I presume both of you will enter?"

I responded with a giggle and a curtsy. "Daenlin's Apprentice shoots where and when her master tells her to." I then gave him a meaningful look and added, "Oh, don't forget about dinner at my house tonight."

"We're not talking about living targets here, so what's the point, mate?" quipped Aradroth dryly.

Daenlin looked at the younger Bosmer and frowned. "Tsk tsk." Turning to me he winked. "Buffy, I see we'll have to work on our friend here. Oh, and how could I forget about our dinner date tonight?"

* From Buffy's scrapbook:

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

This post has been edited by Acadian: Oct 28 2011, 10:26 PM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ceidwad
post Mar 10 2011, 03:23 PM
Post #2

Evoker

Intriguing. Who is this cold individual and what role will he end up playing in Buffy's story? I look forward to finding out.

I don't know why though, but it just doesn't seem right to have a Bosmer say 'mate'.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 10 2011, 05:54 PM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

THE TOURNEY !!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOT !!!!!!! And Buffy is home at last !!!

GAAAAH!!!! Aradroth!!!!!! ...BWAAAA! Snork, snork... the dark Wolf is very missed !!!!!

This is one of my all time FAVORITE Buffy episodes !!!! WOO HOO !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 10 2011, 06:09 PM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

@Ceidwad: Aradroth is the character of another writer here at Chorrol, and is making a cameo here in the BF. You can find his home here. The Aussie slang is how he is portrayed in the AF, and doubtlessly related to the author being an Aussie as well.

Yay! The Torment of Archers! I have been looking forward to this since BF 1.0.

The elusive kisses of warmth on my left side were welcome.
This is a clever way of telling us that Buffy is riding south. Once again, I loved the description of Buffy's early morning ride.

And I see not only a Buffy Sighting this episode, but an Aradroth one as well. Buffy better keep an eye on that Bosmer, he looks like trouble...

we might have gotten the feathers cleaned up before-
laugh.gif

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Mar 10 2011, 06:12 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheOtherRick
post Mar 10 2011, 06:16 PM
Post #5

Finder
Group Icon

WTG on starting your fourth thread Acadian! FOURTH THREAD?....I'm never gonna get caught up! tongue.gif

--------------------
"To Thine Own Self Be True"

The Talendor Chronicles is my first fan fiction attempt.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 10 2011, 06:56 PM
Post #6

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 10 2011, 12:09 PM) *

@Ceidwad: Aradroth is the character of another writer here at Chorrol, and is making a cameo here in the BF. You can find his home here. The Aussie slang is how he is portrayed in the AF, and doubtlessly related to the author being an Aussie as well.

Yay! The Torment of Archers! I have been looking forward to this since BF 1.0.

The elusive kisses of warmth on my left side were welcome.
This is a clever way of telling us that Buffy is riding south. Once again, I loved the description of Buffy's early morning ride.

And I see not only a Buffy Sighting this episode, but an Aradroth one as well. Buffy better keep an eye on that Bosmer, he looks like trouble...

we might have gotten the feathers cleaned up before-
laugh.gif

GAAAAH! What's Teresa doing up in the IC? She better hurry back to Bravil! Will she bring Chance with her to flirt with Buffy and distract her from winning the Tourney? ROFL !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rihanae
post Mar 10 2011, 06:59 PM
Post #7

Knower
Group Icon

Again, incredible read! Enjoyed it alot smile.gif
You're very inspirational, hopefully Lissa's stories will become this popular. Cant wait for the next chapter smile.gif
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Mar 10 2011, 10:12 PM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

Tourney time! And I've got visions of Errol and Olivia and Basil and Claude dancing in my head. Oh, and let's not forget Una and Herbert (Bess and Much) - that couple was so adorable!

It's good to see the Black Wolf again. He is sorely missed. Hopefully Aradroth's appearance means we will see more of our elusive friend again.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Mar 11 2011, 01:39 AM
Post #9

Knower
Group Icon

Aradroth doesn't seem like a friendly, Buffy...Kill eet!

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 11 2011, 02:38 AM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Zalphon @ Mar 10 2011, 06:39 PM) *

Aradroth doesn't seem like a friendly, Buffy...Kill eet!

lol my thoughts as well.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Mar 11 2011, 06:36 AM
Post #11

Mouth
Group Icon

Onwards and upwards! A great start to our fourth thread.

An intriguing introduction to our new friend. I actually kinda like him, so don't kill him, Buffy!

Also remember if you are ever in need of recipes, you know where to turn. The romantic dinner for two is my specialty, you know. well, maybe not quite that much on the romantic side, but you get the picture. wink.gif

I look forward to seeing how you do in the archery tournament, as well.

--------------------
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?
+Quote Post
Linara
post Mar 11 2011, 08:13 AM
Post #12

Agent

Finally caught up with the third thread, and now the fourth one...I have to agree, Aradroth is a rather interesting character. And I look forward to reading about the archery tournament.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 12 2011, 04:58 PM
Post #13

Councilor
Group Icon

Congratulations on opening a new volume in your journal. smile.gif How fascinating to contrast Buffy with Aradroth of the cold grey eyes! Shock poison or hair conditioner, what to do with that ectoplasm. If Aradroth has moved to Bravil, I hope we’ll see him again. This is my first time reading the Tournament of Archers, so everything will be a surprise. Buffy, if you do think of a tactful way to mention that someone’s hair would benefit from some conditioning, please share it! laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
D.Foxy
post Mar 13 2011, 02:03 AM
Post #14

Knower
Group Icon

I was full of questions myself as I looked at his bow and curved elven short sword. I had no doubt he knew how to use them.

Curved....as in Clintonesque????

blink.gif

ohmy.gif

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

Heheheh ole friend hooray on your new thread! Now I have baptized it with Dherty Innu Endo, it shall not be the same again!!!

rollinglaugh.gif
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 13 2011, 02:09 AM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(D.Foxy @ Mar 12 2011, 08:03 PM) *

I was full of questions myself as I looked at his bow and curved elven short sword. I had no doubt he knew how to use them.

Curved....as in Clintonesque???? blink.gif

* snip *

rollinglaugh.gif

That would only work if she held it so the curve went sideways ... whistling.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 13 2011, 01:19 PM
Post #16

Paladin
Group Icon

In Episode 85, Buffy returned home to Bravil. She is hoping for a couple of quiet weeks there while waiting for the Council of Mages to meet and consider her request for aid to Kvatch.

Ceidwad- Thank you! Winter Wolf is the talented creator of Aradroth. Wolf hails from a land down under, as does Mrs Acadian, so Wolf and I yielded to the irresistible challenge of incorporating a couple touches of home to the mysterious elf in black. He will be a permanent resident in Buffy's Bravil. Well, that is as long as his dark past doesn't catch up to him. cool.gif

mALX- Buffy is sooo glad to be home! I hope the tournament will be a fun backdrop as it weaves in and out of Buffy's visit home. Thank you!

SubRosa- As you well know, the tournament storyline is something very different for us. I normally eschew weaving together subplots, but Buffy will find herself immersed in several here. Your warm assistance and support with both 1.0 and 2.0 have been invaluable. Thank you!

Rick- Thanks! I post an 'executive summary' at the beginning of each new thread, summarizing the contents of the previous thread. Feel free to take a peek at those, then just jump right in with us. If you have a touch more time, you might also skim the 'in our previous episode' comments I make to open each post. Buffy might have some sort of a rudimentary plot buried somewhere around here - perhaps hidden at the bottom of her disorganized pack - but really it's more like a long running TV show. C'mon in!

Rihanae- I'm humbled by both your praise and the realization that our efforts have had an effect in helping to inspire the wonderful story of Lissa. happy.gif

Rider- Thank you! Can you believe we made it all the way back to the Tourney for 2.0? My goodness, we've all been doing this for a delightfully long time now! Although Aradroth is absent from the next episode, he factors strongly in the two that follow. He then goes on to play a significant role in the tournament itself.

Zalphon- Aradroth clearly makes Buffy very nervous and she promises to be on her guard!

King Coin- Yup, Aradroth makes her spider senses go off, but it is too early to tell.

Thomas Kaira- Thanks! I agree, Aradroth has made no threat against Buffy, so she is likely to 'trust but verify'. How fortuitous that dinner for two is your specialty! Buffy tends to keep all her alchemy ingredients together, so her concern as she cooks dinner for herself and Daenlin in the next episode is to make sure that that she doesn't accidently do something like add nightshade instead of sage. tongue.gif Oh, and those differing types of mushrooms are always a challenge.

Linara- Thank you! I'm so glad you find Aradroth an interesting addition to Bravil, and hope you enjoy the tournament. Buffy's journey is more important than her destination, and that is particularly true in this storyline. My advice is to curl up with a warm mug of mulled cider and linger as Buffy tells you the lengthy tale of her visit to Bravil.

Grits- Thank you for that enthusiastic reception to The Tournament of Archers! I so hope you will like it. Oh my goodness, how to tactfully tell someone their hair needs a little help; Buffy will tackle that very challenge (albeit not with Aradroth) in Part 15, 'Lions, Horses and Blondes'. Woohoo!

Foxy- So wonderful of you to drop in, old friend. I shall consider the new thread now fully and properly baptized!

86 The Tournament of Archers, Part 2- A Quiet Knight at Home

Kneeling in front of my fireplace, I smiled as I heard a key slip the tumblers in the lock protecting my home. A moment later, Daenlin closed the door behind him. "You're early, Master," I said as I turned the roasting vegetables.

"I was hungry," replied Daenlin. After setting a bottle of Tamika's on my table, he then leaned over me and planted a quick kiss on the top of my head. His hand then appeared in front of my face bearing a small bouquet of wild flowers. "What's for dinner?"

"Thanks for the flowers! You know where my vase and water pitcher are. Oh, I'm roasting things tonight. A farmer I met up at Harm's Folly gave me some fresh vegetables, and I picked up a nice cut of boar over at Silverhome on the Water." Rising to my feet, I blew at an errant lock of blond hair then brought some bread and cheese from my cupboard to the table. Daenlin arranged flowers and opened the wine. "Gilgondorin assured me the boar meat came from one of your kills. That magical chest enchanted with frost that he bought for the inn since my last visit is wonderful."

Soon, dinner was ready. Daenlin held my chair for me, as he always did, then joined me across the small table and we began to enjoy our meal together.

"So, Buffy, is it true what Gladius told me? You're now some kind of knight?"

"Yes," I replied as I sliced a piece of cheese and put it on Daenlin's plate. "I helped a new friend I met in Leyawiin who wanted to become a knight, and we both ended up getting dubbed knights errant by Count Leyawiin."

"This is delicious," remarked Daenlin, "and makes a nice change from venison stew. So are you a noble now? What do you have to do as a knight?"

"Thank you. I thought roasting everything would be something you might welcome. And yes, by title I'm a very minor noble but not really enough to impress anybody. Not that I would ever want to set foot in Castle Bravil, but being a member of the Court of Leyawiin can open a few doors. Mostly, my order keeps down the bandits that plague Blackwood. My fellow knight can easily handle that though, so Count Leyawiin has given me permission to pursue my own quest."

"A quest?" Daenlin paused, the piece of boar on his fork halfway between plate and mouth. "Nothing dangerous I hope?"

"Of course not," I lied. "I'm trying to help those brave soldiers defending Kvatch from the Oblivion Gate. Mostly researching how to close it and trying to sweet talk nobles and important people into providing some aid. That's where having the title of knight seems to help some. Probably the most dangerous part is all the travel, but having the fastest horse in Cyrodiil helps there."

Daenlin set his fork down. "I've known you since you were born. You're not one to care a wooden septim about affairs of the Empire. You only do things like this for people you care deeply about. Who is it?"

"You know me too well." I stared into my goblet as I swirled it, then raised my eyes to meet Daenlin's. "There's a soldier at Kvatch that I can't stop thinking about. His name is Savlian. I want to help him."

"Do you love this man?"

"I-I don't know. He's too devoted to his city to pay much attention to me, I'm sure. When I'm near him though, he makes me feel happy and scared and excited all at the same time. I find myself thinking about him a lot and wanting to be where he is. I figure there can be no chance for us though as long as that burning gate besieges his city."

The old Bosmer smiled. "Well I'm glad you don't plan on venturing into that gate. I remember quite some time ago the fright you gave me when I learned you had disregarded Gaius Prentus out on the mysterious island in Niben Bay and charged into that strange door."

I glanced at Slayer, resting patiently and unstrung on the rack that Daenlin had made for it. "That's where I found the lightweight powerful bow that has saved my life many times."

"I know." He placed a callused hand over mine. "A butterfly will die if one holds on too tightly, but knowing that doesn't ease letting her fly away. As far as those feelings tugging at your heart, take it from one who knows you well; any man would be lucky to bask in your glow."

"Thank you, Daenlin. You always say the right thing." After I added another log to the fire and brought a bowl of fresh strawberries to the table, we swung our chairs around so they were side by side in front of the fire.

"What does your guild think of you being a knight?" Daenlin asked.

"Well," I replied, "it would be a problem if I had a paid position like head of a chapter or an instructor at the University. If I was a guild service provider it would conflict as well."

"Service provider?" asked the elf as he kicked off his buckskin moccasins, stretched both legs and crossed his feet in front of the fire.

"Oh sure. Like here in Bravil for example. Ardaline handles the alchemical storefront while Ita recharges weapons." I giggled and added, "Delphine teaches brave souls how to blow stuff up. They each bring income to the guild and are compensated for it. Kud-Ei not only gets paid as the chapter magister, but also provides illusion training."

"But you don't do any of those things, Buffy."

"Correct, just like Carandial and Henantier. Rather than work at a chapter or the University and be paid for it, we actually pay dues to the guild instead. That way, we can pursue our own interests. Some of the biggest advances in magic have come from the brilliant and independent research of our mages who did not spend all their time hanging around the guildhalls. Oh, and we have to follow the tenets of the guild, of course."

After a sip of wine, I continued, "The Council of Mages decided long ago that keeping those of us trained in magic as members of the guild is in everyone's best interest. Mages who leave or are forced from the guild often cause us problems. For example, when I was seeking admission to the University, I got to help some battlemages subdue a non-guild mage who was using her knowledge of frost magic to rob merchants along the road to Anvil."

Daenlin nodded. "Didn't I hear about some rogue mage that was killed up in Chorrol some time ago?"

I sputtered some of my wine before I could lean over and grab a napkin from the table.

"Are you all right?" asked Daenlin as he started thumping a hand against my back.

"Sure I am," I replied, "if you'll stop hitting me. A sip of wine just started to go down the wrong way, that's all. Yes, that mage in Chorrol was named Earana. She had been kicked out of the guild and was using her magic to threaten people." I shrugged. "I guess she finally threatened someone who took exception."

"I hear Kvatch is destroyed," said Daenlin sadly. "Will you, and perhaps this soldier of yours, go back to the Court of Leyawiin after your quest is done?"

I stared into the fire. I had no idea if it was possible to escape from inside an Oblivion Gate as it closed; however, that was not a thought that needed to be shared with the dear elf who cared and worried about me so much. "I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Perhaps by then I'll no longer need to be a knight. Or perhaps. . . Daenlin, have you ever heard of a Knight Arcana?"

He looked at me with a raised eyebrow and shook his head. "Is that like a battlemage?"

It was my turn to shake my head. "No, terms like battlemage are useful to describe a mage's abilities. My advisor at the University is a battlemage for example. Legion soldiers who attend the Arcane University, or mages who join the Legion are generally battlemages and assigned to the University. Kud-Ei is a spellsword, while I am a mystic archer."

"I thought Kud-Ei was an illusionist," remarked Daenlin as he scratched his balding head, clearly confused.

I smiled. "That's the magic school in which she is most proficient. Illusion is my primary specialty as well."

"No wonder all you mages are so smart, Buffy. You're making my head hurt. So what is this Knight Arcana you mentioned?"

"Arch Mages wield almost as much authority as county lords, in some ways more. Knights Arcana are knights, like others, but dubbed by the Arch Mage and sworn loyal to the guild of mages. There are very few of them and I'm sure it would take much more than killing a few bandits to earn the title. If I'm successful in helping Savlian, my efforts could mean freedom for Kvatch as well. I suppose the Council of Mages might then consider such a thing since I'm already a knight. After all, I would rather serve my guild and range across Tamriel than be bound to Leyawiin." Placing the bowl of strawberries on my lap, I plucked one out for Daenlin. "Open your mouth. Did I tell you what a harpy the Countess down there in Leyawiin is?"

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 13 2011, 02:17 PM
Post #17

Ancient
Group Icon

"Nothing dangerous I hope?"
"Of course not," I lied.

Lying to parental figures about the danger they are in seems to be a habit shared by all Bosmer Bowgirls! biggrin.gif

Well I'm glad you don't plan on venturing into that gate.
Good thing she is not! wink.gif

Some excellent pieces of world-building concerning the Mages Guild, putting much more sense to what you see in the game (where people join the guild to get free room and board, and the right to steal everything within, and never have to do anything for the guild in return). The non-working members paying dues makes perfect sense. Likewise the Knight Arcana is a very interesting idea (with a cool name to boot!). It certainly sounds more up Buffy's alley then a knight of a stallion.

"I guess she finally threatened someone who took exception."
My bet is that she annoyed Honditar so much by talking to him all the time, that he killed her just to shut her up! wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Mar 13 2011, 06:15 PM
Post #18

Master
Group Icon

A Knight Arcana, huh? I can see Buffy doing that much more easily than I can see her as a Knight of the Black Mare hunting Black Bow Bandits! And it makes more sense for her to have the ability to wander Cyrodiil to lend aid wherever needed (and probably will sit better with the old paladin as well).

I enjoyed the roasted boar right along with Daenlin. It's so wonderful to see the old guy and to eavesdrop on their conversation. I've always liked him, but I love him even more now after seeing him in the BF.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 13 2011, 06:38 PM
Post #19

Ancient
Group Icon

I can't say it any better than SubRosa did - she voiced my exact thoughts:

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 13 2011, 09:17 AM) *

Some excellent pieces of world-building concerning the Mages Guild, putting much more sense to what you see in the game (where people join the guild to get free room and board, and the right to steal everything within, and never have to do anything for the guild in return). The non-working members paying dues makes perfect sense. Likewise the Knight Arcana is a very interesting idea (with a cool name to boot!).

Buffy's true family, the people of Bravil - her coming home chapters are always my favorites !!!

AWESOME WRITE !!!! WOO HOO !!!!

This post has been edited by mALX: Mar 13 2011, 06:38 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Mar 13 2011, 06:44 PM
Post #20

Knower
Group Icon

Buffy and Knights...pfft. You used to be a rebel! A non-conformist! Now you're a knight is shiny, white armor!

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post

21 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:50 PM