5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your First Elder Scrolls Experience, Please tell
mirocu
post Feb 19 2013, 04:49 PM
Post #41

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Naturally its a different experience now compared to when I was new to it. Back when I started to play in Feb 2007 I wasnt aware of these forums nor the wiki, and therefore I did everything based upon what I thought was the best course of action.

I remember avoiding the Imperial City out of fear of getting arrested from escaping. I remember fighting a troll just outside the walls which actually brought my dear Lothran a brief existence in the Aetherius plane.
I remember spending so much time in the market district when I finally dared operate in public. And I very much remember one of my first quests, Unfriendly Competition, which I enjoyed very much. Not to mention I remember my very first visit to Bruma. I have never felt so at home as when I first laid eyes upon the town gates while the snow was falling to the sound of Jeremy Soules amazing music.

Unfortunately I also remember having serious performance issues which actually was the main reason I spent so much time in the Imperial City, I couldnt go outside without lowering the settings significantly. New sound cards, more RAM and whole new systems was needed before I could crank up the settings to where they are now.

It was worth it though smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Arcry
post May 4 2013, 06:22 AM
Post #42

Agent

Well we have a slew of new members so I thought I'd bring this little thread back. By the powers invested in me by His Lordship Mannimarco, I command thee thread. Rise! Rise and live again!

Ehem, my first experience with the Elder Scrolls series began when I was naught but a (smaller) lad. I was wandering my town's local game shop (I believe it was called EB Games) and noticed that beside the computer games of Warcraft and Everquest sat a bundle box of The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and its two expansions. Being a console gamer I thought little of it.

Several months went by and many games came and went from the store's shelves, but Morrowind always remained in the back. Center-middle shelf. Until one day it was simply gone. Again I thought little of it and it faded from memory for several years until my brother bought the Xbox original and the Halo series. (We'd experienced several Xbox games with our cousin such as Halo Combat Evolved and Fable) After doing some work for my grandfather and earning some actual cash I went shopping to add to our collection of games.

There in our little game store I noticed on the x-box shelves a familiar title. The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind Game of the Year. Intrigued I read over the box and its advert on the back. I'd been honestly surprised that a PC game went cross console (I was not at all as big into video games as I am now) and bought it.

An hour later I had an Argonian assassin who was STILL hunting to join the infamous Morag Tong, had a mass of Dwarven junk piled in a "Home" (It was empty of NPCs) in Vivec's St. Olms Canton, and was spending time halfway across the island trying to figure out how he could make it back home after spending a little to much on the teleport transport system... Never did find the Tong before the disk broke.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post May 7 2013, 03:37 PM
Post #43

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Nice little story there, Arcry smile.gif What about your first encounter with Oblivion?

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Arcry
post May 7 2013, 08:46 PM
Post #44

Agent

Oblivion was an entirely different creature! I'd enjoyed Morrowind so much that when I had heard of Oblivion I was somewhat afraid of what Bethesda might do. I waited and noted that the game flew from the shelves with very little in the way of returns. Regretting my foolishness I lurked around the Beth forums gauging people's take on the game and and eventually bought the game myself. And promptly played the heck out of it.

The Brotherhood fit my play style like a glove and it is one of the few actual emotional moment I had in game. I loved my new family and to have the story play out like it does... Well, it killed a bit of my assassin. More so when what is left of his family is stolen from him in a case of mistaken identity. What was left of my assassin was a husk simply following the will of his mother.

That is just one of the many characters I've had in the game. I never liked having one character that "did it all", rather I preferred multiple characters that all inhabited the same world.

There was Silver-Tongue, the Listener of the Brotherhood.

And Keltis Ralis, Arch Mage of the University.

Then Ra'Jarr, Master Theif.

And finally Arcus Letholis, Champion of Cyrodiil, Crusader of the Nine, and eventual Madgod. His was a sad tale...
+Quote Post
mirocu
post May 7 2013, 09:05 PM
Post #45

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Arcry @ May 7 2013, 09:46 PM) *

Arcus Letholis, Champion of Cyrodiil, Crusader of the Nine, and eventual Madgod. His was a sad tale...

I think he maybe should have gone the other way around... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
ThatSkyrimGuy
post May 14 2013, 04:07 AM
Post #46

Finder
Group Icon

I was introduced to TES by a nerdy teenaged sales clerk at EB Games. I think EB Games has become GameStop now, but I digress. I had asked him to recommend a good RPG and he suggested TES:III - Morrowind. He handed me a copy and I read the box. It looked cool, so I bought it. I took it home, loaded it up, and was absolutely blown away! Been a fan ever since.

--------------------
A Question of Fate is my Skyrim Fic
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 22 2013, 02:40 PM
Post #47

Councilor
Group Icon

Actually, my first ES experience was way back in 2001, and I did not actually game that day, I merely watched somebody else as he gamed. Let's go back to the moment, shall we? (insert sappy music here).

The Xbox was new and I was at a party with this person I was dating. I was a gamer back then, but had a Playstation instead of an Xbox. I was very much into Tomb Raider. Anyways, I'm at this party and there's this guy playing a game on the TV. I was immediately drawn to it. It looked like a medieval fantasy game, which I had seen before on Playstation, only diff was THIS medieval fantasy game seemed not to have any 'boundaries.' I was so used to playing games which are very linear, with very few options for exploration, you see. Well, THIS game seemed limitless. The onscreen character ran up to some sort of giant wall (a town or a castle) and the guy playing the game began exploring all over the place.

That's one thing I noticed: there didn't seem to be any boundaries in this game. There was no 'YOU CAN'T GO HERE' message. I remember there was a lot of fog in the air, too.

Knowing the way I am, I probably asked the guy what the name of this game is. His answer would have been Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind which is a pretty odd name for a game. I have a terrible memory, and wouldn't have remembered such a name, but I probably assumed that if I searched the stores I'd find it for Playstation in no time. And I DO remember searching for it. I bought lots of fantasy games for PS in the next few years, searching in vain for the open-world game I saw at that long-ago party. Since TES: 3 was not on PS, this means I had no idea that my efforts were in vain.

So that's actually my first ESE, folks. smile.gif I wouldn't actually play in ES game until seven years later, and I'll post what I remember from that experience later.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 22 2013, 02:58 PM
Post #48

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 16 2013, 06:55 PM) *

I am so sick of having penises forced upon me by games, that I will not play the ones that do anymore. I just cannot take them anymore.

This is exactly how I feel about anything made by Rockstar. I have a friend whose kids play GTA:V for instance. I've seen this game and am curious, but the lack of an option to play a female character in this game (or Bully or RDR) is a detraction. Rockstar has said they'll never allow a female protagonist, and because of this they're actually losing money from people like me.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 22 2013, 03:36 PM
Post #49

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I havent mentioned this, but in fact my very first TES meeting was also at someone elses house. I watched my friend put Morrowind into the disc tray of his xbox and run around a bit. It looked interesting and I did try it out a bit but I wasnt too drawn to it atm. I didnt know what to do or where to go, I wasnt used to that kind of games.

But that was my very first TES encounter and it was long before I got the Oblivion disc from another friend for driving him home from a party! wacko.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Dec 22 2013, 03:37 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Dec 23 2013, 10:36 PM
Post #50

Councilor
Group Icon

Mine was Morrowind.

I can't even remember why I bought it, or how long ago it was, but I know it was for the Xbox.

Stepped off the boat at Seyda Neen, and I was like "whoa!"

I think I was killed ten minutes later by a mudcrab sad.gif

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Jul 30 2014, 03:49 AM
Post #51

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Dec 23 2013, 09:36 PM) *

Mine was Morrowind.

I can't even remember why I bought it, or how long ago it was, but I know it was for the Xbox.

Stepped off the boat at Seyda Neen, and I was like "whoa!"

I think I was killed ten minutes later by a mudcrab sad.gif

Yeah there was a bit of a learning curve. I still wish I were half as enamored with any other game as I was with Morrowind. It was my first real open world experience so it left a strong impression.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
King Of Beasts
post Jan 26 2015, 05:10 PM
Post #52

Ancient
Group Icon

Oh sweet baby Jesus I have a story for you guys lol

I played oblivion first, and when I did, I wasn't too sure what was going on. I didnt have a customised character (he looked default) because I couldn't figure out HOW to customize him, and I was just sorta blundering the whole way until I escaped the sewers.

Well. The FIRST place I went was that Aylied ruin right outside the sewers. I killed the bandits and took their stuff. I wandered around Cyrodiil for a bit, completely disregarding the main quest, and looted caves and ruins and stuff.

So, heres where it gets interesting. Somewhere along the way, I got infected with porphyric haemophilia (the vampire disease), and wasnt aware so I turned. But I didnt KNOW what I was, and got REALLY confused when I kept dying in the sun. I was getting really upset about it too, and I ended up fleeing into a cave near the Inn of Ill Omen. Every time I tried to leave, the sun killed me! I was so frustrated and ended up getting lost in the cave to top it off.

I put the game down and gave up because at the time, I was more into Two Worlds. I didnt find out about my character being a vampire until like two years later when I picked the game back up and played it with more understanding.

That, is how my first experience with Oblivion, and elder scrolls was lol

--------------------
Bruh ☠️
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 26 2015, 05:24 PM
Post #53

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Thats even worse than me missing out on the opening cinematics tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 26 2015, 08:55 PM
Post #54

Paladin
Group Icon

Kobby . . . laugh.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 26 2015, 08:58 PM
Post #55

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Of Beasts @ Jan 26 2015, 11:10 AM) *

Oh sweet baby Jesus I have a story for you guys lol

I played oblivion first, and when I did, I wasn't too sure what was going on. I didnt have a customised character (he looked default) because I couldn't figure out HOW to customize him, and I was just sorta blundering the whole way until I escaped the sewers.

Well. The FIRST place I went was that Aylied ruin right outside the sewers. I killed the bandits and took their stuff. I wandered around Cyrodiil for a bit, completely disregarding the main quest, and looted caves and ruins and stuff.

So, heres where it gets interesting. Somewhere along the way, I got infected with porphyric haemophilia (the vampire disease), and wasnt aware so I turned. But I didnt KNOW what I was, and got REALLY confused when I kept dying in the sun. I was getting really upset about it too, and I ended up fleeing into a cave near the Inn of Ill Omen. Every time I tried to leave, the sun killed me! I was so frustrated and ended up getting lost in the cave to top it off.

I put the game down and gave up because at the time, I was more into Two Worlds. I didnt find out about my character being a vampire until like two years later when I picked the game back up and played it with more understanding.

That, is how my first experience with Oblivion, and elder scrolls was lol

Oh Kobby, that is so funny !!!

Oblivion was my first TES game too; I had no idea how far Bethesda went with the AI; at first was afraid to enter cities because my character was an escaped prisoner. When I found the rambling notes Glathir left in his basement naming my character as his accomplice - was afraid the Legion would find them and I'd find the guards at my door; so took them and hid them in a dungeon chest, rollinglaugh.gif

My son was in hysterics watching me play, the first time I saw a zombie I screamed, lol. It was a whole lot different than Kid Chameleon; Gex; Sonic; Echo; and the Super Mario Bros, lol.

This post has been edited by mALX: Jan 26 2015, 08:59 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Oct 7 2015, 12:01 AM
Post #56

Master
Group Icon

Good question. I played Arena at launch. But was that my first encounter with the game? It is possible I read pre-release hype or saw an ad in one of the many computer / computer gaming magazines I subscribed to back then. I certainly did NOT learn of it on the internet, since I did not join it until circa 1997.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 24 2015, 05:46 AM
Post #57

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Oct 6 2015, 07:01 PM) *

I certainly did NOT learn of it on the internet, since I did not join it until circa 1997.

Me too. That is, I didn't try the Internet until 1997, and wow I was hooked immediately, mostly chatting though. I loved the concept of chatting with people, all over the world, that used to blow my mind. But I wasn't gaming at all back in those days, I was more of a party girl, imagine that? biggrin.gif I'm sure if I knew of TES back in those days, I would have jumped on it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 24 2015, 02:12 PM
Post #58

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Oct 24 2015, 12:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Oct 6 2015, 07:01 PM) *

I certainly did NOT learn of it on the internet, since I did not join it until circa 1997.

Me too. That is, I didn't try the Internet until 1997, and wow I was hooked immediately, mostly chatting though. I loved the concept of chatting with people, all over the world, that used to blow my mind. But I wasn't gaming at all back in those days, I was more of a party girl, imagine that? biggrin.gif I'm sure if I knew of TES back in those days, I would have jumped on it.

My first internet experience was Myspace, laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 24 2015, 05:24 PM
Post #59

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Oct 24 2015, 09:12 AM) *

Aww, how cute. smile.gif What got you into gaming? Or were you already gaming in your MySpace days?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 24 2015, 05:54 PM
Post #60

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Oct 24 2015, 12:24 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Oct 24 2015, 09:12 AM) *

Aww, how cute. smile.gif What got you into gaming? Or were you already gaming in your MySpace days?

I never gamed online before playing ESO this past June, and up until 2009 never played on the PC either; but gaming itself - I've been playing video games since the first Mario.

My X-husband that died in 2010 was a gamer too, we had the Nintendo system, the Super NES, the Sega Genesis, the PlayStation 1 & 2; the GameBoys and converters for them, the XBox, the 360, the Elite, etc. We had consoles in every room but the bathroom, laugh.gif

Our entertainment center was filled to packed full with different video games, it could have been a store there were so many different games for the different consoles, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:06 PM