3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which Daedra/Aedra Would You Worship?
Elisabeth Hollow
post Jan 3 2013, 07:09 AM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

If you had your pick of worshipping any Daedra or Aedra, no matter how large or small they were, which would it be? I also apologize if this thread has been made before.

Mine would be a tie between Meridia, Azura and Mara.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
King Of Beasts
post Jan 3 2013, 07:36 AM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

Hircine. I'd hunt in his name, and when I die, I want to go to his hunting grounds. Being a werewolf would be epic.

--------------------
Bruh ☠️
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Jan 3 2013, 08:28 AM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

I wanna change my answer. I would probably circle through all of them to find which one I like most, then pick none of them XD

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Jan 3 2013, 09:22 AM
Post #4

Master
Group Icon

Sheogorath, no question about it. Or failing that, Sanguine; it's hard to resist the allure of the Lord of Par-TAAAAY!! after all.
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Jan 3 2013, 01:58 PM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

Ah, definitly Mara, for her healing love. smile.gif

And I would pray to Dibella. I'm not pretty in real-life, and I don't wanna be a fashion model or anything, but I would pray to Dibella for a little help every now and again. smile.gif
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 3 2013, 07:11 PM
Post #6

Ancient
Group Icon

I might work with Azura. The game just tells us that she is a goddess of sunrise and sunset, but never goes into detail about what that actually means. When I put my knowledge symbolism and comparative religions to that, it it leads me to focus on how these times are moments of transition. It is a time when it is neither day, nor night, and the world hangs between these two states. That makes me think of Azura as a goddess of transitional states, who guides people who are moving from one phase in their life to another. Such as going from childhood to adulthood (being a teen is so much fun!), or going to student to worker, or single to married, married to single, etc...

Also I imagine that people who walk between worlds in other ways would follow her as well. Transgendered people are kind of obvious here, as to a lesser extent gay folks. Likewise magicians, as IRL, all magicians are edgewalkers, who live with one foot in the mundane world, and one foot in the spirit world. To do magic, you must be able to step back and forth between them just as easily as we might step from the kitchen to the dining room. Beyond that, anyone who for one reason or another does not fit into "ordinary" society.

Because of that, I tend to picture her as being similar to IRL Hekate, who is also a goddess of transitional states. Although Hekate is a goddess of the New Moon, rather than dawn and dusk. However, the New Moon is a similar phenomena. It is a time when the moon is not seen to be there, but rather is suspended in a limbo between death and rebirth. Hekate rules over these places in between, when one is not one thing or another, but waiting to be born anew.

In the games we also see Azura often being associated with prophecies. The prophecy of Nerevar's Return, her warning the Dunmer of the impending eruption of Red Mountain... That also tends to reinforce my connecting her with Hekate, who is also called Antaia, the sender of nocturnal visions.

Given that I am dedicated to Hekate IRL, it would not surprise me that I would do the same with Azura. Assuming that my above suppositions are correct.

That of course does mean I would give the finger to the other deities out there. I am a happy polytheist. One can never have enough goddesses and gods. I would work with whatever deity was suitable to whatever circumstances I found myself in. If I needed wisdom I would look to Julianos. If I needed the spirit to fight, then Trinimac. A good lay - Dibella. And so on.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Of Beasts
post Jan 3 2013, 07:46 PM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Jan 3 2013, 04:58 AM) *

Ah, definitly Mara, for her healing love. smile.gif

And I would pray to Dibella. I'm not pretty in real-life, and I don't wanna be a fashion model or anything, but I would pray to Dibella for a little help every now and again. smile.gif

If I were to worship one in the nine divines if worships Talos.

--------------------
Bruh ☠️
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Jan 3 2013, 08:23 PM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

Molag Bal. I think he would be the ideal prince I would worship. In such a chaotic world of Tamriel, where it is also known as "The Arena,", Molag Bal would one of the princes I would prostrate myself. When people think of Molag Bal, they automatically label him as the ultimate baddie. But there is a much more deeper sense to it that goes if you read the dialogue.

If I lived in Tamriel, I would surely be looking for ways to improve myself. And as a place known as "The Arena," there is only one way to do so. Through the use of the bow, the sword, or the arcane arts, one takes the steps to improvement. How else do you level up? tongue.gif

"The weak would be punished by the strong."-Molag Bal.

In a cutthroat enviornment of Tamriel, strife and violence culls the weak, empowers the intermediate and lets the strong apt to survive and excel. Conflict seems to be the only way to mature and grow. I guess even the Empire grew through force of arms. And Molag Bal represents power and domination, among other things. And power itself also comes from unrestrained emotions.

It's common knowledge that power comes from impulse and instinct, and thus, to achieve it, those who follow Molag are forged into the warriors by subjugating others and given into situations that force them to know their their true potential or die trying. Conflict is the only way to put an individual's ability to the test and the conflict and lock-of-horns forces one to evolve and become stronger for it. Without power, I guess one goes onto decline and stagnation, and thus proves he isn't worthy at all. Molag Bal is all about the survival of the fittest . . .and raping. biggrin.gif

Besides, he is the patron of vampires. Imagine the ability to cheat death by actually dying and still living? To pass on the ages without every worrying about a wrinkle or two(discounting Oblivion). And the supernatural abilities granted? Sure, it's the ES universe and there are many life-altering conditions, but such a thing is tempting.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Jan 3 2013, 10:42 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

Seeing as others are doing detailed breakdowns of why they'd worship certain daedra, I figure I might as well give my full two pence and give a bit more detail about why my choice would be Sheogorath.

For a start, he's madness. What's that? He's the original, the unique, the unusual. He is flare, creativity and the spark which pushes us out of our comfort zones and gives us things that are truly brilliant. Like art, he is unpredictable, charming, terrifying and entralling, but he always, always has a distressingly clear insight into the mind. He challenges people to better themselves, to rethink their place in the world, to reject the stale and the dull and the normal in place of that which is new and different, regardless of whether it is good or bad (basically the entirety of my creative design brief behind Madgod[/shamelessplug]).

He rejects stagnation. In that, he's the ultimate incarnation of the Jungian Trickster Achetype; Coyote, Loki, Anansi and Prometheus all rolled into one. Yes, he may well turn you into a sweetroll, but at the same time he's just as likely to cure a ward full of cancer patients with a wave of his hand or shower a beggar with money. He is neither benevolent nor malevolent, neither good nor evil, but is simply so entrenched in his nature that you know exactly what you'll get with him and yet at the same time have no idea what you get with him. In the Shivering Isles, this idea is made all the stronger by his very nature; he's completely, utterly, frighteningly unhinged, and yet at the same time he's very, very hard not to love.
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Jan 4 2013, 05:31 AM
Post #10

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 3 2013, 12:11 PM) *

I might work with Azura. The game just tells us that she is a goddess of sunrise and sunset, but never goes into detail about what that actually means. When I put my knowledge symbolism and comparative religions to that, it it leads me to focus on how these times are moments of transition. It is a time when it is neither day, nor night, and the world hangs between these two states. That makes me think of Azura as a goddess of transitional states, who guides people who are moving from one phase in their life to another. Such as going from childhood to adulthood (being a teen is so much fun!), or going to student to worker, or single to married, married to single, etc...

Also I imagine that people who walk between worlds in other ways would follow her as well. Transgendered people are kind of obvious here, as to a lesser extent gay folks. Likewise magicians, as IRL, all magicians are edgewalkers, who live with one foot in the mundane world, and one foot in the spirit world. To do magic, you must be able to step back and forth between them just as easily as we might step from the kitchen to the dining room. Beyond that, anyone who for one reason or another does not fit into "ordinary" society.

Because of that, I tend to picture her as being similar to IRL Hekate, who is also a goddess of transitional states. Although Hekate is a goddess of the New Moon, rather than dawn and dusk. However, the New Moon is a similar phenomena. It is a time when the moon is not seen to be there, but rather is suspended in a limbo between death and rebirth. Hekate rules over these places in between, when one is not one thing or another, but waiting to be born anew.

In the games we also see Azura often being associated with prophecies. The prophecy of Nerevar's Return, her warning the Dunmer of the impending eruption of Red Mountain... That also tends to reinforce my connecting her with Hekate, who is also called Antaia, the sender of nocturnal visions.

Given that I am dedicated to Hekate IRL, it would not surprise me that I would do the same with Azura. Assuming that my above suppositions are correct.

That of course does mean I would give the finger to the other deities out there. I am a happy polytheist. One can never have enough goddesses and gods. I would work with whatever deity was suitable to whatever circumstances I found myself in. If I needed wisdom I would look to Julianos. If I needed the spirit to fight, then Trinimac. A good lay - Dibella. And so on.

That was the sexiest thing I've read all day. -swoons- tongue.gif

I have the habit of finding a deity, studying it, then once I appreciate it, I move on to the next. I've gone through several religions and have finally settled on myself XD But the one who speaks most to me is Meridia. She brings life and hates the undead. Cuz they're YUCKY lol

--------------------
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Jan 5 2013, 05:50 PM
Post #11

Master
Group Icon

If we lived in Tamriel, then in my opinion, we'd be worshipping every daedra and god there is UNKNOWINGLY. Why?

I read someone say that Daedra Lords ARE their spheres. Thinking about it, I decided that I liked point pf view. Why? Because to me it made sense.

Dagon is the lord of Destruction. A fitting name for a baddie. But he's also the Lord of revolutions, energy, ambition, change. Think of it this way.

If a farmer looked to his old barn and decide that, yes, it is too old for his liking, he will CHANGE the old and replace with the new.

A rooftop has been struck with lightning. Too damaged beyond repair. Cast it (DESTROY) and replace (CHANGE) it with a new one.

A child dreams of becoming an army general. He must be AMBITIOUS enough to attain it. And ENERGETIC enough not to stagger under reality 's weight.

May not make sense to you guys, but datz becuz meh ingrish nat so gud.

Sanguine. Your usual God of Debauchery. They say he's also the god of passionate indulgences. What if that indulgence is... Art? Music? Swordsmanship? The more you indulge yourself, the more you worship him.

Just my opinion, take it for what it is.

And I'd worship Malacath. I love orcs, makes sense if I'd worship their god too. smile.gif

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Jan 5 2013, 07:03 PM
Post #12

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Jan 5 2013, 10:50 AM) *

If we lived in Tamriel, then in my opinion, we'd be worshipping every daedra and god there is UNKNOWINGLY. Why?

I read someone say that Daedra Lords ARE their spheres. Thinking about it, I decided that I liked point pf view. Why? Because to me it made sense.

Dagon is the lord of Destruction. A fitting name for a baddie. But he's also the Lord of revolutions, energy, ambition, change. Think of it this way.

If a farmer looked to his old barn and decide that, yes, it is too old for his liking, he will CHANGE the old and replace with the new.

A rooftop has been struck with lightning. Too damaged beyond repair. Cast it (DESTROY) and replace (CHANGE) it with a new one.

A child dreams of becoming an army general. He must be AMBITIOUS enough to attain it. And ENERGETIC enough not to stagger under reality 's weight.

May not make sense to you guys, but datz becuz meh ingrish nat so gud.

Sanguine. Your usual God of Debauchery. They say he's also the god of passionate indulgences. What if that indulgence is... Art? Music? Swordsmanship? The more you indulge yourself, the more you worship him.

Just my opinion, take it for what it is.

And I'd worship Malacath. I love orcs, makes sense if I'd worship their god too. smile.gif

That makes sense to me! It's another look at the un-obvious ways to worship a deity.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Captain Hammer
post Jan 5 2013, 09:15 PM
Post #13

Knower
Group Icon

Shor.

For everything else, he is the All-Father to Men and Tamriel. It was he that conceived of the idea of a world and entities that were not a mere extension of himself.

As pointed put by Uleni, the Daedra are their spheres, the spheres are their Daedra.

The Aedra sacrificed parts of themselves. And so made something fundamentally beyond themselves. For all that the Daedra represent change and the Padomaic aspects of Aurbis, they are themselves unchanging.

Sheogorath, in his Madness, spoke of this, and how a change to the fundamental nature of a Daedric Prnce was a task of proportions that no Daedric Prince could accomplish on his own.

Shor does not acknowledge such things. In so far has he originated an idea no other could conceive, he, quite literally, fathered creation. And to do so, he invoked a moment of Inception upon the other Aedra. Magnus drew the plans and the architecture. But Magnus realized the Trap, knew it was not of himself, and that he would be changed by it, so he fled, and tore through Oblivion with his brethren to flee Shor's trap.

Akatosh also recognized the trap, and impacted into it to bring it order. And for his sacrifice, and his power, and his control, I would end up worshipping him, whether I was Man or Mer or Beast. But especially if I were Dov, for then it would be his power to shape reality that echoed from my lips.

But it is one thing to shape Reality. It is one thing to define it, to hold it, to be recognized as the one that stands highest within it.

It is quite another to Create Reality. To be the one that conceptualized it. To realize the potential of it. And to make something that is beyond yourself in order to bring it about.

And thus is Lorkhan the Spirit of Nirn, and truly deserving of the title All-Father. For our parents bring us into the world, screaming and wailing at the cold and the light and the sound, to know injuries and sickness and sadness and pain and suffering. Such is the crucible of life. But it is worth it. For their are joys to experience and wonders to amaze and knowledge to gain and wisdom to earn. And nothing with value comes free.

Shor promised us a journey, and that the reward on the other side would be ours to determine. It comes with a price. And so I would thank him and honor him for it. For existence is this, and no more.

--------------------
My fists are not the Hammer!
100% Tamriel Department of Awesomeness (TDA) Certified Grade-A Dragonborn. Do not use before 11/11/11. Product of Tamriel.

Awtwyr Draghoyn: The FanFic; The FanArt.
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Jan 6 2013, 05:10 AM
Post #14

Ancient
Group Icon

I'm loving the answers to this thread.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Jan 6 2013, 05:14 AM
Post #15

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 3 2013, 01:11 PM) *

I might work with Azura. The game just tells us that she is a goddess of sunrise and sunset, but never goes into detail about what that actually means. When I put my knowledge symbolism and comparative religions to that, it it leads me to focus on how these times are moments of transition. It is a time when it is neither day, nor night, and the world hangs between these two states. That makes me think of Azura as a goddess of transitional states, who guides people who are moving from one phase in their life to another.

Now that I've been learning more about the Nine and Daedric Lords (through Lord Haaf-Mersey's eyes) I am having trouble understanding why Azura is not one of the Nine, and Arkay (burials and death) is not a Daedric Lord.

wacko.gif
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Jan 6 2013, 05:23 AM
Post #16

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Jan 5 2013, 10:14 PM) *

I might work with Azura. The game just tells us that she is a goddess of sunrise and sunset, but never goes into detail about what that actually means. When I put my knowledge symbolism and comparative religions to that, it it leads me to focus on how these times are moments of transition. It is a time when it is neither day, nor night, and the world hangs between these two states. That makes me think of Azura as a goddess of transitional states, who guides people who are moving from one phase in their life to another.

Now that I've been learning more about the Nine and Daedric Lords (through Lord Haaf-Mersey's eyes) I am having trouble understanding why Azura is not one of the Nine, and Arkay (burials and death) is not a Daedric Lord.

wacko.gif

Because religion is weird, in real life or not.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Jan 6 2013, 05:29 AM
Post #17

Mouth
Group Icon

Yeah, that's true.
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Jan 6 2013, 05:38 AM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

Kinda sorta related, but I found Skyrim jewelry. I'd totally wear an Amulet of Mara. Only because no one in my podunk town would get it lol

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Jan 6 2013, 05:50 AM
Post #19

Mouth
Group Icon

hmm I dunno about Mara. I'm not sure I'd want to know about any secret crushes lurking about in my life! Some of the people whom I suspect....

...yea, I'd rather just not have those people (not that there's many of them) gushing after me.

Now Zenithar, hells yes. 10% cheaper prices? I would wear that bad boy and never take it off. I wouldn't just wear it to Safeway and Zales and Home Depot, I would take my Amulet of Zenithar to my local gas & electric company. Complain matter-of-factly about my rates. BAM 10% cheaper bills there. I'd wear it to Bank of America's credit card division BAM 10% cheaper bills.

I would be able to afford a new computer for PC gaming in no time!

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 6 2013, 05:53 AM
Post #20

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Jan 5 2013, 11:14 PM) *

wacko.gif

The Aedra are the beings that took part in the creation of the world, and the Daedra did not. That is the difference between them. Or at least the difference between the two terms. It is not a matter of good vs. evil or light vs. dark, or anything else.

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:39 PM