3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which Daedra/Aedra Would You Worship?
Vital
post Mar 7 2014, 10:19 AM
Post #41

Mouth
Group Icon

DE, I sort of see your point but can't say I agree. By your logic (the way I have interpreted it) Hitler* was not evil because from his point of view it was the right thing to do. The chimer/dunmer revere Boethiah, Azura and Mephala not because they believe they are good but because they were influential in the Chimer's separation from the Altmer. I do agree that good and bad are relative terms, but Molag Bal, Mehrunes Dagon, Mephala, Boethiah, Clavicus Vile, Namira, Vaermina are all pretty evil from the general perspective. The others are debatable, but you wouldn't want to get on any of their bad sides. Just look at how Azura eventually screwed over the Tribunal and in turn all the dunmer for abandoning her. Of course what sets Azura aside from other daedra is that she warned her followers about the coming danger, many of the daedra probably wouldnt do so.

*Other murderous dictators available

--------------------
I'll probably disappear for a minimum of 10 minutes after this post..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Mar 7 2014, 01:24 PM
Post #42

Master
Group Icon

Well Vital, what I am saying is more or less what Giedrius is saying. Daedra are "evil" from the general perspective. Key word here is perspective. The point of view. Hitler`s enemies saw him as an evil man, yet some of his people hailed him as a hero. What I'm trying to say is that each side believes one side to be something. It can be argued that Molag, Dagon and Boethia are evil, but that's just what mortals consider them to be.

The fact is, Daedra are the way they are because of their spheres. Dagon can't stop being the Prince of Destruction. He is incapable of change. Calling Daedra evil is understandable, but it's like calling intelligent gravity evil.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
Vital
post Mar 7 2014, 08:42 PM
Post #43

Mouth
Group Icon

DE, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, even though our opinions may not be as different as we think.

What I'm trying to say is, it's easy to sit here and say you could worship a daedra such as Hircine, but if you lived in Tamriel could you really make that choice? None of the daedra, not even Meridia, value human life at all. They are unpredictable, Hircine could as quickly have you killed by a bear as he could turn you into a lycanthrope (if that's what you really want). The player character is unique in that his dealings with the daedra always turn out well. Only Boethiah would accept a follower that worshipped her only for their own benefit, and that's because it's basically her sphere.

Granted, it's the same with Azura. You don't want to get on her bad side, and she demands dedication if you are to benefit from her worship, just look at how her priestess in Skyrim has to live. None of the daedra are always evil in everything they do, but it's hard to be perceived as 'good' when your sphere is rape. I actually wouldn't consider Hricine an 'evil' prince, his sphere is necessary, as are all of the daedra's.

In reflection I guess what I'm trying to say is: if you were to worship a daedra such as Molag Bal or Mehrunes Dagon then you can't say YOU aren't evil. Can you imagine some of the rituals these worshippers perform? You are right that the daedra's spheres cannot be changed, but that doesn't justify their actions. The daedra might not be 'evil' but they have no 'human' morals. No morals combined with immense power usually doesn't bode well for mortals. The daedra certainly have too much power for Tamriel's good. I think why some daedra such as Azura and Meridia mentioned so much in discussions like this thread is becuse their spheres are more justifiable and Azura definelty looks after her worshippers. However the destruction she caused my killing the tribunal would have made Dagon proud. Azura's not good, but on the daedric moral scale she does pretty well. I guess it all comes back to relativity...

This post has been edited by Vital: Mar 7 2014, 08:43 PM

--------------------
I'll probably disappear for a minimum of 10 minutes after this post..
+Quote Post
Giedrius911G
post Mar 7 2014, 10:25 PM
Post #44

Retainer

Very clear points Vital. Even if Molag Bal and Dagon are considered the most evil, they are pretty average. For what I've seen after dealing with them in Morrowind, Skyrim, Oblivion and their expansions, this is what I can say:
Average: Azura, Nocturnal, Peryite, Vaermina.
Evil:Boethiah, Hermaeus Mora, Hircine, Jygallag, Malacath, Molag Bal, Namira.
Good:Clavicus Vile, Meridia, Sanguine, Sheogorath.
^They are mostly good, but like mortals, they also can do something bad, but that doesn't make us evil. If anyone disagree, that my listed "Good" daedra are evil, better learn more about them. If you be good to those four, they will never betray you. They will protect you with their power. Other daedras will kill you, when your usefulness will be gone.

--------------------
Oblivion looks best without Bloom and HDR.
Don't forget to turn them OFF realistic colors.

Add me on PSN: Giedrius911G
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:21 AM