Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vampires: why does your character drink blood?
BretonBlood
post Mar 9 2015, 04:41 PM
Post #41

Finder
Group Icon

With my vampire characters I always tend to play them as Cyrodiilic vampires so they want to feed to remain hidden from society. I personally find the Cyrodiilic vampires the most interesting because of their deception and the way they hide in plain sight like the Count of Skingrad.

--------------------
My first short story - "A Thief's Ascension"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 9 2015, 05:15 PM
Post #42

Paladin
Group Icon

Welcome to the forums, BretonBlood. I see SubRosa has already christened you BB in one of our other threads. tongue.gif

I do like that Oblivion has the Count of Skingrad who has somehow managed to 'tame' (or at least deal with) the beast inside and actually seems to have no evil intent. Similarly, I'm pleased that the court wizard for Solitude (in Skyrim) seems to fit into the same category. Given their food source, and the resultant tension between vamps and peeps, it seems at least a couple have forged a different path.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 9 2015, 11:05 PM
Post #43

Councilor
Group Icon

Welcome to Chorrol, BretonBlood, have a Fishy St--- err.. I don't think we give fishy sticks here at Chorrol. Have some cake instead. cake.gif

I gotta say, now that I'm gaming on PC, I'm rather torn. I probably have the power to make vampire NPCs a lot more vulnerable to certain things, especially daylight. They attack us during the day, sometimes. I'm really not a fan of vamps simply walking around in daylight all casual-like, but whatever. I've tolerated it.

In TES4, I use Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul to make vampires take actual sun damage. I figure hey, if the Player Character can take sun damage, why not NPCs? .... Not sure if this would work in Skyrim. I mean, to some extent you gotta figure that TES is not traditional Earth lore. They do things differently in the Tamriel universe. Still though...

--------------------
+Quote Post
BretonBlood
post Mar 10 2015, 03:07 AM
Post #44

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(BretonBlood @ Mar 9 2015, 11:41 AM) *

With my vampire characters I always tend to play them as Cyrodiilic vampires so they want to feed to remain hidden from society. I personally find the Cyrodiilic vampires the most interesting because of their deception and the way they hide in plain sight like the Count of Skingrad.

Thank you. One of the things I liked most about the Count of Skingrad was how he was so in control of his bloodlust and he even looked down on the other feral vampires. I love the quests that involve him, especially the one where he sends you to kill the vampires and the vampire hunters.

QUOTE(Renee @ Mar 9 2015, 06:05 PM) *

Welcome to Chorrol, BretonBlood, have a Fishy St--- err.. I don't think we give fishy sticks here at Chorrol. Have some cake instead. cake.gif

I gotta say, now that I'm gaming on PC, I'm rather torn. I probably have the power to make vampire NPCs a lot more vulnerable to certain things, especially daylight. They attack us during the day, sometimes. I'm really not a fan of vamps simply walking around in daylight all casual-like, but whatever. I've tolerated it.

In TES4, I use Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul to make vampires take actual sun damage. I figure hey, if the Player Character can take sun damage, why not NPCs? .... Not sure if this would work in Skyrim. I mean, to some extent you gotta figure that TES is not traditional Earth lore. They do things differently in the Tamriel universe. Still though...

Thank you, I see what you did there, you did the joke that the other Bethesda forum does haha.

I love mods that affect vampires like Better Vampires for Skyrim, I can't play without it. And I have never had vampire NPCs attack me in the daylight, it has always been night or at least really close to night time around dusk, but that is rare.

I also think each vampire clan in the Tamriel universe is different as far as sun damage goes, I think only the Cyrodiilic vampires, vampires in High Rock, and the vampires in Morrowind take sun damage, while all the rest are weakened.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 10 2015, 04:06 AM
Post #45

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(BretonBlood @ Mar 9 2015, 11:41 AM) *

I don't play as a vampire, but agree 100% on liking the idea that by drinking blood they can live amongst mortals without our knowledge (like Seridor) - imagine the possibilities for roleplay and stories!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Mar 10 2015, 06:51 AM
Post #46

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(BretonBlood @ Mar 9 2015, 08:41 AM) *

Here's another welcome to the forums, BretonBlood.

The thing I like about Hassildor is that, while fooling the populace of Skingrad, he's got his feral wife living wild in the catacombs under the palace. Makes for quite the juggling act and gives his character some real depth.

My personal pet peeve concerning Elder Scrolls vampires (actually all the vampires presented in fiction) has to do with how messy they are. You know… body parts strewn around, half eaten bones littering the dinner table, and blood everywhere, It's on the floor, it's on the furniture, it's on the walls, it's even on the ceiling! This is their food we're talking about here! Why is it that immortality makes you such an unrepentant slob? I enjoy a good pizza as much as anyone, but you'll never see a time when a visit to my house yields half-eaten pizza crust on the floors, or pizza sauce all over the walls! nono.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
BretonBlood
post Mar 10 2015, 03:24 PM
Post #47

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Destri Melarg @ Mar 10 2015, 01:51 AM) *

The thing I like about Hassildor is that, while fooling the populace of Skingrad, he's got his feral wife living wild in the catacombs under the palace. Makes for quite the juggling act and gives his character some real depth.

My personal pet peeve concerning Elder Scrolls vampires (actually all the vampires presented in fiction) has to do with how messy they are. You know… body parts strewn around, half eaten bones littering the dinner table, and blood everywhere, It's on the floor, it's on the furniture, it's on the walls, it's even on the ceiling! This is their food we're talking about here! Why is it that immortality makes you such an unrepentant slob? I enjoy a good pizza as much as anyone, but you'll never see a time when a visit to my house yields half-eaten pizza crust on the floors, or pizza sauce all over the walls! nono.gif

Thank you!

I think you are confusing his wife with the Pale Lady in Skingrad. Hassildor's wife is in a coma from lack of drinking blood and that is why he wants to cure her because she refuses to drink blood and thus went into a comma. The Pale Lady is the one who takes prisoners and feeds off of them and then takes some of the blood and gives it to Hassildor's wife to keep her alive. Nonetheless, it made Hassildor that much deeper a character.

I kind of agree with you here, but I think all the instances of vampires living like this are supposed to be ones who have given into their more feral side and just kill to feed with no regard for anything else. That's how I look at it anyway.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 10 2015, 04:28 PM
Post #48

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(BretonBlood @ Mar 10 2015, 10:24 AM) *

Thank you!

I think you are confusing his wife with the Pale Lady in Skingrad. Hassildor's wife is in a coma from lack of drinking blood and that is why he wants to cure her because she refuses to drink blood and thus went into a comma. The Pale Lady is the one who takes prisoners and feeds off of them and then takes some of the blood and gives it to Hassildor's wife to keep her alive. Nonetheless, it made Hassildor that much deeper a character.

I kind of agree with you here, but I think all the instances of vampires living like this are supposed to be ones who have given into their more feral side and just kill to feed with no regard for anything else. That's how I look at it anyway.

Like the bloodlust is so strong that they kind of go into a frenzy?

If you read Jakben Imbel's journal it says almost the same thing; that for the first 80 years he couldn't control his bloodlust; but through the centuries he had gained control of it.

Well, the game was surprisingly consistent in sticking with that journal in that all the ancient vampires in Cyrodiil (Hassildor; Vicente; Imbel; and Seridor) lived in clean places and had a social life with mortals instead of just a feral vampire clan living together in a cave or old fort.

And it works for roleplay; because the player has to socialize too; so they can either have been a vampire a long time - or the way I see it is that there is a difference between the feral vampires in caves and that ancient vampires are a lineage they can share with a person who accepts their dark gift (like Vicente offers the player); but combat with them would only pass on the disease, not the lineage (because they consider it a "gift" they wouldn't give it without their will to give it).

Anyway, that is just how I look at it. And I agree with Destri - Welcome to Chorrol!

--------------------
+Quote Post
BretonBlood
post Mar 10 2015, 06:12 PM
Post #49

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Mar 10 2015, 11:28 AM) *

QUOTE(BretonBlood @ Mar 10 2015, 10:24 AM) *

Thank you!

Like the bloodlust is so strong that they kind of go into a frenzy?

If you read Jakben Imbel's journal it says almost the same thing; that for the first 80 years he couldn't control his bloodlust; but through the centuries he had gained control of it.

Well, the game was surprisingly consistent in sticking with that journal in that all the ancient vampires in Cyrodiil (Hassildor; Vicente; Imbel; and Seridor) lived in clean places and had a social life with mortals instead of just a feral vampire clan living together in a cave or old fort.

And it works for roleplay; because the player has to socialize too; so they can either have been a vampire a long time - or the way I see it is that there is a difference between the feral vampires in caves and that ancient vampires are a lineage they can share with a person who accepts their dark gift (like Vicente offers the player); but combat with them would only pass on the disease, not the lineage (because they consider it a "gift" they wouldn't give it without their will to give it).

Anyway, that is just how I look at it. And I agree with Destri - Welcome to Chorrol!

Yep, that's how I see it, the vampires basically go into a frenzy because of their bloodlust and that's why they have no control over who they kill and what they do with the parts, which is why we see the bones and blood everywhere.

I loved readinf Jakben's journal I found it very interesting in regards to vampire lore, although I think it varies from each individual. I say this because Count Hassildor says he and his wife were infected 50 years ago and that he was able to live with the change but his wife could not. So he hasn't been a vampire that long, relatively, and yet he seems to have control over his bloodlust. Although, being the Count he basically has a steady access to blood versus most other vampires, so it may be a problem he never really had to encounter.

And thank you.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Mar 10 2015, 07:42 PM
Post #50

Master
Group Icon

I'd say the messiest vampires in lore would be the Volkihar. Just look at their castle. Blood. Everywhere. Bones. Entrails. Eh . . . and they're so brazen as to their attacks. But what I enjoy about the lore regarding these dead people is that there are over a hundred different clans with their own powers, abilities, etc and even how they approach prey.

The reason I believe Hassildor, Seridur, Jakben and Lord Lovidicus(especially this guy) don't have too much of a feeding problem is that they're of that special Clavicus Vile-modified lineage. The reason I believe this is the fact that they're, well, all rich or wealthy. Either nobleman or aristocrats or earls. The Pale Lady has the looks of a noble too. Here's something interesting: "During combat, she will occasionally announce "I will feed the mistress your blood!" or "You will be sweet, bloody nectar for the lady.". "The mistress" probably means Countess Rona Hassildor, who lies in a coma caused by her refusal to satisfy the demands of her vampirism on live victims. The bottles of human blood near the Pale Lady suggest that she collects the blood of her victims to feed to the countess.

Also, is that Jakben, Seridur and Lovidicus walked right under everyone's noses without too many questions arising. Just their strange nocturnal habits, which according to their tenets, is necessary. Immortal Blood explains the Cyrodiilic Vampires as indistinguishable from ordinary mortals when well-fed. More or less like Seridur. You wouldn't believe this person was a vampire unless you saw him or her three days without blood. The symptoms would be pale hands, blue nails, gaunt face, red eyes, etc. A living dead person.

But they would never let themselves be discovered . . .because they know better. Truly if you were an immortal being who can find innovative and smart ways to sate your condition and still be able to walk around society and using your age-old resources to acquire what you need and want, would you risk discovery? Vampirism is punishable by death by the evil mortal populace.

"Our bond with Vile makes us unique among our kind, for his guidance steels our savage craving with reason and savvy. For him we live amidst mankind, and twist them to our will from offices of power.

Transcendant of savages
Sating thirst sans avarice
Your coffers stay stuffed
By social graces robust
None know your nature;
save Us
None share your fate;
save Us
None welcome you as kin;
save Us.

Given Vile's intervention they're able to hide any trace of vampirism. By, and I quote, Social graces robust. Additionally, to be a member of this Order means to be wealthy and well-known and respected.

Your coffers stay stuffed- Points to a fat Elder Scrolls bank account.

None know your nature, save us.- No one knows about the Cyrodiilic vampire's true nature, save for people who are vampires themselves. Did you know ingame Janus' disposition toward the player is 20+ is he's a vampire?

None share you fate; save us-Hmm, eternity as Clavicus Vile's plaything or Molag Bal's cellmate . . . who knows.

None Welcome you as Kin; save us- No one would welcome a vampire as family. The only family these creatures have is, well, each other.

Know first that we are no simple tribe of savages, tearing throats with the orgiastic abandon of our scattered, tribal brethren. Ours is a civil fraternity, to which we are bound - every one - by our dual hunger for flesh and influence. By the virtue of Imperial structure and bureaucracy, Cyrodiil has become our stronghold in the third era, and we suffer no savage rivals within our boundaries, reveal ourselves to none, and manipulate the hand of society to mete out our agendas.

Tribe of savages? Tearing throats with violence and brutality? I'm looking straight at you Harkon and all you other Volkihar! See, these vampires are more civil. You'd first think an Interview with a Vampire. Wealthy, charismatic, civilized. The mention of Cyrodiil becoming a stronghold in the third era means they're not native to Cyrodiil. They must have came in, kicked all the native clan's asses to Coldharbour and infiltrated society as wealthy entrepreneurs and bureaucrats. Imagine of one these guys in the High Council!

To patron Clavicus Vile, beacon o'er our affairs, we owe our successes and social stature. Our bond with Vile makes us unique among our kind, for his guidance steels our savage craving with reason and savvy. For him we live amidst mankind, and twist them to our will from offices of power.

What price they gave Vile for this, I can't say. But the reason why they can masquerade as normal mortals and go about as wolves in a nice sheep's clothing is because of Clavicus Vile. He also seemed to curb their blood-hunger, too, to a small degree. Not needing more than necessary unless they go days starving.

Most barbaric tribes think themselves powerful by the gift of Bal's blood alone, and squander the gift. There are those, however, who show signs of enlightenments, and earn our attention - those such as Glenmoril Wyrd, who live within the walls of Breton cities, or the Whet-Fang sodality of Black Marsh, who use magicka to keep captives catatonic and harvest from them the red nectar. These foes may one day threaten to impugn our sovereignty within the boundaries of Cyrodiil, thus compelling our vigilance. Should any encroach upon our dominion, our wrath must be swift and total.

While superior in some ways, it doesn't mean they can't learn a thing or two from other clans. In the Vile Lair download made for vampiric characters, there is a catatonic prisoner that the player can feed. He'll never awaken. They might have learned from the Black Marsh clan, the Whet Fang. Why? Well, the ingame book with these tenets came along with the Vile Lair and also the vampire home is bordering Black Marsh . . . I even wrote some part of my fanfiction in which my male vampire began building subterranean cattle cells for when members of his clan pass through and require some rest and to feed before going out to attend to mortal affairs while also lowering the mortal death toll that would raise eyebrows and launch an investigation.

To preserve our ideals and way of life, two primary edicts shall be observed. Above all, reveal thyself and our Order to no other, for discretion is the greatest of our virtues. Do not feed where you may be found out, or on those who may not suspect your passing. Avoid daylight by lifestyle; dispel common belief in our kind, and maintain supple appearance through satisfaction of the thirst. Second, devote your pursuits to the procurement of influence, political and otherwise. Our strength is not in physical numbers, but in skillful manipulation of society. Always be mindful of our Patrons, and preserve the Order. Devote yourself to these ideals always, and the Order shall count you amongst our own.

Rule number 1. Don't. Say. A. Word. You're not members of the Illuminati Order. No wonder this secret society has been going on for centuries. They're intelligent in their approach and revealing themselves would be suicide . . . remember Lord Lovidicus? What an idiot. Maintain supple appearance through satisfaction of the thirst= drink deep, look good.

Devote to the procurement of influence, political and otherwise means focus on the arts. On Imperial structure. The wheels that turn society, the heart of it. Get a hold of Imperial power, you essentially have a finger in every other province if one is so ambitious. The members might be a select few. Many vampires we see in game in Oblivion are feral and live in caverns. The Order does not tolerate these vampires. Janus Hassildor had them wiped out because they would draw too much attention and even compared them to base animals! Much like the vampires of the Order consider all other vampires barbaric beasts which support my claim that the Count is a member of this society. By devoting to these things, you can guess a vampire from the Order will surely welcome that undead blueblood a member of the family.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 10 2015, 10:34 PM
Post #51

Paladin
Group Icon

So what I take from all this is that Destri, after decades of practice, has learned to control the beast and can now control his pizza frenzy urges. Therefore, he lives in a clean house, keeping his pizza lust quietly concealed from the rest of civilized society. wink.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 11 2015, 12:07 AM
Post #52

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Mar 10 2015, 05:34 PM) *

So what I take from all this is that Destri, after decades of practice, has learned to control the beast and can now control his pizza frenzy urges. Therefore, he lives in a clean house, keeping his pizza lust quietly concealed from the rest of civilized society. wink.gif

Yes, but watch out for squirrels with drinks in their mouths!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Mar 11 2015, 05:25 PM
Post #53

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(BretonBlood @ Mar 10 2015, 07:24 AM) *

I think you are confusing his wife with the Pale Lady in Skingrad. Hassildor's wife is in a coma from lack of drinking blood and that is why he wants to cure her because she refuses to drink blood and thus went into a comma. The Pale Lady is the one who takes prisoners and feeds off of them and then takes some of the blood and gives it to Hassildor's wife to keep her alive.

Whoops, I stand corrected. You are right of course. Thanks for the clarification.

QUOTE(Acadian @ Mar 10 2015, 02:34 PM) *

Yes, but just barely! laugh.gif

QUOTE(mALX @ Mar 10 2015, 04:07 PM) *

Yes, but watch out for squirrels with drinks in their mouths!

Certain squirrels are always welcome to share a pizza… especially if they come bearing drinks! cool.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 11 2015, 06:10 PM
Post #54

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Destri Melarg @ Mar 11 2015, 12:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Acadian @ Mar 10 2015, 02:34 PM) *

Yes, but just barely! laugh.gif

But your secret is out now, we know to lock our pepperoni and mozzarella cheese up laugh.gif

QUOTE(Destri Melarg @ Mar 11 2015, 12:25 PM) *

Certain squirrels are always welcome to share a pizza… especially if they come bearing drinks! cool.gif

I'm on my way; but just so you understand - spraying drinks out one's mouth because someone barked a laugh out of the squirrel is not the same thing as the squirrel bearing drinks; although either way you are covered...er, one way or another? rollinglaugh.gif

This post has been edited by mALX: Mar 11 2015, 06:11 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:19 AM