2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> St-t-t-t-tuter, stutter, is, annoying, indeed
Lopov
post Nov 22 2014, 07:27 PM
Post #1

Master
Group Icon

Occasionally I suffer from sever stuttering in Skyrim, it always happens in wilderness and I have a feeling that it happens when distant objects are generated. It never happens in towns or inside any cells like houses, caves, etc. I tried decreasing the settings, changing advanced options in the launcher tab, I downloaded almost every anti-stutter fix on Nexus, tweaked my .ini file by changing IPresetInterval values but nothing changes.

It doesn't happen too often but when it happens, it's annoying and it doesn't occur in same areas, for instance yesterday I didn't have any problems in Darkwater Crossing but today it stuttered so horribly that I waited for a minute to "calm" down.

I don't use any particularly extensive mods so I doubt that's the reason, neither I have any programs running in the background which could slow my computer down.

So any advices to remove stuttering altogether or at least make it happen less often?

Thanks!

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 22 2014, 07:54 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

I have similar issues with micro-stuttering, and have never found anything that helps. In fact most of the things that are supposed to fix stuttering make it worse for me.

One last ditch effort is to see if any of your cpu's cores are parked. Here is a utility that will enable them. Or you can do it by manually editing the registry. I found three of my cores were parked. But even after enabling them, nothing changed for me.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Nov 22 2014, 08:43 PM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

I'm also thinking about making values in the .ini. file as they were by default because it seems even worse when something called IPresetInterval is disabled. I can tolerate stutter because it doesn't happen too often but yesterday it happened just when I was fighting a dragon and it was impossible to hit it with a bow.

I'll try this tool out, thanks.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 22 2014, 10:44 PM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

EDIT; Hey I managed to download the Marked Beta V2 program, but I can't figure out where to get the main program? .. All those big green DOWNLOAD icons lead to bad things.

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Nov 23 2014, 03:51 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 1 2014, 01:39 AM
Post #5

Ancient
Group Icon

Just ignore the link to the new Beta version. All you need is the program from the link right above the comments, that says "Download application executable files ..."

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 3 2014, 01:02 AM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Nov 30 2014, 07:39 PM) *

Just ignore the link to the new Beta version. All you need is the program from the link right above the comments, that says "Download application executable files ..."

Okay thanks.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jan 9 2015, 10:04 PM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

A quick question for those familiar with Dragonborn DLC / Solstheim - are in your games freezings and crashes on Solstheim more common than in Skyrim? Because these two issues are the only two things that make me mad at times and thus I don't enjoy DB as much as I was expecting to. I almost never had a CTD in Skyrim except a few times in the Rift but they're very common in Solstheim, I have at least one per gaming session which is a lot compared to before.

This post has been edited by Lopov: Jan 9 2015, 10:06 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 9 2015, 10:21 PM
Post #8

Ancient
Group Icon

I don't recall any trouble with CTDs in Solstheim.

This is really, really reaching, but I know a lot of enemies you fight there leave ash piles. They never get cleaned up, and cause save game bloat. Which in turn can cause CTDs if it gets too bad. I always use the console to disable them after I kill critters like Ash Spawn. I doubt that is the problem, but I am looking for anything here.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jan 9 2015, 10:21 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 9 2015, 10:44 PM
Post #9

Paladin
Group Icon

I have not experienced CTD problems in Solstheim either.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jan 9 2015, 11:16 PM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

Thanks. I will disable ash piles when I run into these enemies. For now I deleted all saves and made fresh ones, not sure if that actually helps. I also used CCleaner to clean my Registry and it found some unused extensions of Skyrim save files, not sure what that means but it deleted them. I played now for quite some time and didn't have any CTD, so let's hope for the best.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 10 2015, 12:16 AM
Post #11

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 9 2015, 04:21 PM) *

This is really, really reaching, but I know a lot of enemies you fight there leave ash piles. They never get cleaned up, and cause save game bloat. Which in turn can cause CTDs if it gets too bad. I always use the console to disable them after I kill critters like Ash Spawn. I doubt that is the problem, but I am looking for anything here.

I think disabling leaves them in the save (so it remembers they're disabled). You may need MarkForDelete instead. I forget exactly how to use that.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 10 2015, 01:32 AM
Post #12

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jan 9 2015, 06:16 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 9 2015, 04:21 PM) *

I think disabling leaves them in the save (so it remembers they're disabled). You may need MarkForDelete instead. I forget exactly how to use that.

Doh! You are probably correct. I think you have to use the Prid command before MarkForDelete, then save, and then reload? There was a fix for the Whiterun Tree never being properly replaced in the Kynareth quest that used MarkForDelete to get rid of the old tree.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 10 2015, 02:15 AM
Post #13

Ancient
Group Icon

My game never stuttered even once until I installed the Official Texture Packs. Since then it stutters a lot, and I have many more CTD's too.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 10 2015, 02:33 AM
Post #14

Ancient
Group Icon

I found the entry for MarkForDelete on the UESP Wiki.

CODE
Deletes the targeted object the next time the area (cell) it resides in is reloaded. Useful for removing specific unwanted furniture/decoration from homes. Be careful as there's no way to restore deleted objects. Objects marked for delete will show [D] next to their ref ID if you re-target (re-click) them. Can be used to remove Ash Piles and Ghost Remains, which otherwise never get removed from the world.

But I really doubt this is the cause of your CTDs Lopov.

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 9 2015, 08:15 PM) *

My game never stuttered even once until I installed the Official Texture Packs. Since then it stutters a lot, and I have many more CTD's too.

I am not surprised. The high res texture packs require a lot more RAM to use, and so will tax your computer. If you do not have a lot of RAM to begin with, that is a big problem. I have the high res texture packs and Skyrim typically uses about 2 gb of RAM on my computer.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jan 10 2015, 03:23 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 10 2015, 06:03 AM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 9 2015, 08:33 PM) *

I found the entry for MarkForDelete on the UESP Wiki.

CODE
Deletes the targeted object the next time the area (cell) it resides in is reloaded. Useful for removing specific unwanted furniture/decoration from homes. Be careful as there's no way to restore deleted objects. Objects marked for delete will show [D] next to their ref ID if you re-target (re-click) them. Can be used to remove Ash Piles and Ghost Remains, which otherwise never get removed from the world.

But I really doubt this is the cause of your CTDs Lopov.

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 9 2015, 08:15 PM) *

I am not surprised. The high res texture packs require a lot more RAM to use, and so will tax your computer. If you do not have a lot of RAM to begin with, that is a big problem. I have the high res texture packs and Skyrim typically uses about 2 gb of RAM on my computer.

Can you explain what "prid" and "mark for delete" are and how to do that? Is that a way to safely delete vanilla items?

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 10 2015, 05:52 PM
Post #16

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 10 2015, 12:03 AM) *

Can you explain what "prid" and "mark for delete" are and how to do that? Is that a way to safely delete vanilla items?

prid [Ref ID] is just a way to target the next command.

So if you type in this:
CODE
Prid 1b11d
Moveto player

That would move Calixto (that is his Ref ID) to the player.

You can also do the same by opening the console and clicking on the NPC or object you want to target. Prid is a way you can target something when you cannot click on it. It is all in The UESP's page on Sky console commands

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jan 10 2015, 06:03 PM
Post #17

Master
Group Icon

Today I started using "markfordelete" on ash piles that appear after killing Ash Spawns. The piles don't get deleted immediately but if you enter/exit a cell, they're gone. Didn't have any CTD so far but my game froze for a second or two when fighting a dragon a few times but then it ran smoothly again.

Regarding RAM, my laptop has 4 GB, I hope that's sufficient to run texture packs without problems.

This post has been edited by Lopov: Jan 10 2015, 06:04 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 10 2015, 07:22 PM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Jan 10 2015, 12:03 PM) *

Today I started using "markfordelete" on ash piles that appear after killing Ash Spawns. The piles don't get deleted immediately but if you enter/exit a cell, they're gone. Didn't have any CTD so far but my game froze for a second or two when fighting a dragon a few times but then it ran smoothly again.

Regarding RAM, my laptop has 4 GB, I hope that's sufficient to run texture packs without problems.

A laptop you say? What kind of video card does it have? Many of the default intel cards that go into laptops are terrible for gaming. That might be the cause of your problems.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jan 10 2015, 07:35 PM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

ATI 4670, it's an old video card because my laptop is old too. But except Skyrim and occasionally FONV I never encountered CTDs in any other games that I've played.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 10 2015, 08:51 PM
Post #20

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Jan 10 2015, 01:35 PM) *

ATI 4670, it's an old video card because my laptop is old too. But except Skyrim and occasionally FONV I never encountered CTDs in any other games that I've played.

I think that is a 512 mb video card? If so, that is woefully underpowered for a game like Skyrim. Especially if you using the high res texture packs. If you had a desktop I would say buy another card that has at least 2gig of video ram. But since you are on a laptop, that's not really an option. I would try removing the high res texture packs first, and if you still get CTDs, try lowering your resolution and other settings.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:24 AM