> Skyrim Special Edition - remastered
Acadian
post Jun 23 2016, 04:07 PM
Post #1

Paladin
Group Icon

I was intrigued by this comment by SubRosa in another thread:

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 15 2016, 11:23 AM) *
I just saw a vid with Bethesda's E3 announcements. The Skyrim Special Edition is at the back. I hate to say that I am massively underwhelmed. I thought the game looked far better on the old systems. The new version looks like it is covered in a bright haze that washes out all the individual colors, and the clarity of the image. But maybe that is just the sunrises and sunsets, and not how it looks all the time.

I tend to agree with her initial assessment. Since the announcement, the BethSoft SkyForum is awash with opinions and speculation – more than I want to even try and follow.

I thought I’d create this thread as a place to comment on the remaster and, when the time comes, share impressions among those who try it and what is involved for those wishing to transition to it. I did note over on BethSoft that one of the moderators (Pluto) said it will be several years before another TES game is announced. So perhaps it is good to freshen up the current one. Looking over the list of enhancements though, they all seem to be cosmetic. Since my game looks fine as far as I’m concerned, my initial take is to not worry about the remaster – certainly not at this point.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jun 23 2016, 04:23 PM
Post #2

Councilor
Group Icon

The significant part of SE will be the availability of mods on the consoles. Those communities will naturally expect to get everything the PC players have had for the last five years, and some are asking where the mods are even before the game is available!

Those of us who have published mods for Skyrim are going to face demands for those mods on Xbone and PS4 even if they can't port for some reason. It's not even clear if a 64-bit SKSE will be available to help do that for the PC. I have no idea which of my mods are actually dependent on SKSE functions. I just use them when I need them, and mark everything as requiring it.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 23 2016, 05:57 PM
Post #3

Councilor
Group Icon

I’m going to buy it for my PS4, and when I get a new PC I’ll install the Special Edition and new Creation Kit on it. I too look forward to many more years of Skyrim. I’m happy to have the new version since my enthusiasm for the game has outlasted my hardware.

The new graphics do not impress compared to my modded and barely functional laptop game, but compared to the much loved and long played saves on my aging PS3 they look amazing. I am not a fan of the dynamic depth of field effect, however, so I won’t get too excited until I know I can actually play the game without getting ill from the visual effects.

I’m staying out of the speculation threads on the official forum. I wonder things like how to check console mods for mistakes, if multiple mod profiles will be possible, and if I will need to upload my own PS4 patches to the BethNet site so that I can download and use them. All of these questions can wait until after the game is released and are not worth wading through all of the present nonsense to answer.

I’m most excited about the big mod projects that I’ve heard about being built on the foundation of an updated Skyrim.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 23 2016, 06:53 PM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

It is definitely good news for console players, since not only do they get better graphics, but finally access to mods. But for us PC players it does not seem to do much. It is just some visual effects that are supposedly improved, but actually already exist in mods

I honestly did not see any difference in many of the examples they showed, except when the image looked worse. Like with those sunsets/sunrises where the bright orange overpowers every other color on the screen. The new water effects immediately made me think of the many water mods out there such as Pure Waters and Water. Dynamic Depth of Field is something that also exists in mods as well. It is also something I absolutely abhor. If I want my picture blurry, I'll rub vaseline all over my monitor. It hurts my eyes to look at for even a few seconds. The God Ray effect did look better in the shot of the sunlight dappling down through the trees. That is the only thing I can honestly say looks improved.

But I might be overly harsh. This is just a very quick and probably very early view. The finished product might be better. It will undoubtedly look better on my own monitor than in a YouTube video.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jun 23 2016, 06:59 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 23 2016, 07:06 PM
Post #5

Paladin
Group Icon

Thanks for the thoughts. Like SubRosa, I hate blurriness at any distance on the screen. I'm happy enough with my graphics using basically nothing but the official graphics DLC and having my game visual settings cranked up high. ENB scares me so if I wanted better graphics I'd look at Purity. I'm very pleased for console users who may finally be able to use mods, but glad that it appears like it may not be important for me to transition to SE.

As I said, I hope we can follow the bigger pieces as things develop and, ultimately, after some folks start to use the SE. smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jun 23 2016, 09:07 PM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

Well...

Having restarted Skyrim on the new PS3 in actual HD now, I was mightily impressed with how awesome it actually looked, as is...

Soooo, given the difference that the trailer shows between the two, I'm actually...Well, the entire family-McB are looking forward to seeing how this new one is...

But...What I'm not looking forward to is this...

If all the DLC is going to be combined into the game, we're going to get all the random Vampire attacks...Now we've deliberately never bought Dawnguard for that reason...

So unless there's going to be a mod that neuters all vampires - because, as you all well know, I detest vampires with a passion - and the game is the whole package, Dawnguard and all, I won't be bothering...

Which is a shame, because as I said, it looks very pretty and awesome!...

Here...An article on the future of the Elder Scrolls...And given that one of the things that Pete Hines said was coming was an Fallout 4 for the VR thing they're working on...My guess is that Elder Scrolls 6 will end up being VR only...*Shrug*...A shame, but that's progress *spit* for you...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Jun 23 2016, 09:11 PM
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jun 23 2016, 09:28 PM
Post #7

Councilor
Group Icon

One interesting speculation is that the dependence on Steam may be removed for SE. The Fallout 4 CK phones home to Bethesda.net instead.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 23 2016, 10:00 PM
Post #8

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Jun 23 2016, 04:07 PM) *

If all the DLC is going to be combined into the game, we're going to get all the random Vampire attacks...Now we've deliberately never bought Dawnguard for that reason...

There are mods that reduce or outright disable the random vampire attacks. As well as those that prevent the Dawnguard questline from automatically starting, and so on.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jun 23 2016, 10:53 PM
Post #9

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 23 2016, 05:00 PM) *

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Jun 23 2016, 04:07 PM) *

There are mods that reduce or outright disable the random vampire attacks. As well as those that prevent the Dawnguard questline from automatically starting, and so on.

And then the question is whether those will work on consoles. If they require SKSE ...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 23 2016, 11:15 PM
Post #10

Councilor
Group Icon

McB, I feel the same way about Dawnguard. I didn’t buy it for my PS3 after playing with it always active on the Xbox.

Delaying Dawnguard looks like changing a handful of variables at first glance. That’s the first thing I checked in case Timing Is Everything doesn’t make it to the PS4 and I have to figure it out myself. tongue.gif

Another thing I’ll have to do is fix the screen blood spatter. I really hate that.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 24 2016, 12:02 AM
Post #11

Ancient
Group Icon

I use Dawnguard Delayed Start, Anti Vampire Attacks Dawnguard, and Shut Up About Dawnguard, none of which require SKSE. The same with No Blood.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jun 24 2016, 12:03 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jun 24 2016, 02:03 AM
Post #12

Councilor
Group Icon

I have been lurking Fallout 4 forums for months now, rarely posting. I just like being aware of what's going on. It is interesting for sure.

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jun 23 2016, 05:53 PM) *

And then the question is whether those will work on consoles. If they require SKSE ...

From what I understand, anything requiring SKSE or any other third-party stuff like this won't work on consoles.

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jun 24 2016, 08:23 AM
Post #13

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 24 2016, 12:02 AM) *

I use Dawnguard Delayed Start, Anti Vampire Attacks Dawnguard, and Shut Up About Dawnguard, none of which require SKSE. The same with No Blood.

Oh...Fair dues...Ta...At least there's some hope then... smile.gif ...

QUOTE(Gritseh!)
McB, I feel the same way about Dawnguard. I didn’t buy it for my PS3 after playing with it always active on the Xbox.

You bought Skyrim for both systems?!...Fair dues... biggrin.gif ...

I know the questline is supposed to be good, and if it wasn't for the blasted randoms I'd be happy enough, I suppose...Well, I'd find a way to justify my character doing it, like I did for the Thieves' Guild...

But as it was...

Having a Dragon attack that you can see a mile off and you have to go chase down it is one thing...But having to go to each town, every time you pass nearby just in case you come back to a ghost town...Nah...Muppetry programming, that...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Jun 24 2016, 08:26 AM
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 9 2016, 12:33 AM
Post #14

Paladin
Group Icon

There are so many threads on the subject over at BethSoft that I can't be bothered trying to follow them. I am, however, following one thread based on the premise of 'I don't care about the special edition'. What I have learned is that the special edition will support 64 bit stuff whereas apparently the current game only supports 32 bit stuff. I'm woefully out of my league at trying to understand that but they tell me that this change is a big deal for those with 64 bit puters (like me) in terms of improving performance and enhancing stability. If this is true, then it might be worthwhile - depending on how easy it is to set it up with mods. There does seem to be some concerns about how existing mods will fare as well as specific concerns about SKSE, SkyUI, unofficial patches and other 'core/utility' type mods that are prerequisites for many others.

That all said, I won't go near it until it is out, tested and I hear all about what it takes to use mods for it.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 9 2016, 01:04 AM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

64 bit is definitely a big improvement. A 32 bit OS cannot use more than 4 gig of memory total. So no game made with 32bit code can use more than that. While a 64 bit OS can use far more memory, and thus so could its games (assuming the games were coded in 64 bit). I have 16 gig of ram. Windows uses a bit over 2 gig. So I could conceivably play a game that used 14 gig of ram. That would mean incredibly high detailed graphics, physics, particle effects, no load times, a far greater rendering distance, fewer memory-related crashes, and so on. If anyone ever made a game that would use all that extra memory laying around. And I don't even have a lot of memory. When I built my current PC a few years back I could have gone with 32 gig of Ram for just $100 more. But I didn't see the point when every game around then was in 32 bit, and so would never use anything close to that.

This is something that makes following the Remastered Skyrim worth following for me. If it is truly 64 bit. Bethesda has a habit of lying after all. For example, Todd Howard claimed that Skyrim had a brand new game engine. When in fact it uses the very same engine that they used in Morrowind, just updated with more stuff slapped onto it zillion times over. So I would not take Bethesda's word that it is truly 64 bit. After it is released and people have a chance to really look at the code we will know.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jul 9 2016, 01:13 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post Jul 11 2016, 01:16 PM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

And still no Morrowind remaster smh
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 11 2016, 10:54 PM
Post #17

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Jul 11 2016, 08:16 AM) *

And still no Morrowind remaster smh

They are still working on it smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Jul 12 2016, 11:32 AM
Post #18

Knower
Group Icon

It is very doubtful that I will buy it.

I am one of the users that will gain most from the upgrade (as I play most games on Xbox 1) yet felt very disappointed with the trailer. In some strange and bizarre way my old Skyrim (on Xbox360) looks better and is still one of the most amazing looking games I have ever played. What Beth was offering left me feeling flat.

My old Skyrim already stands head and shoulders above Fallout 4 when it comes to draw distance clarity, surface rendering, particle and water effects etc. This new version reminds me of the very ordinary graphics on Fallout 4. It seems a step backwards to me.

Fallout 4 is not even in the same ballpark as Skyrim. But what Fallout does better is- FUN. The combat systems and now the mods make it absolutely amazing. Skyrim mods do not interest me as I greatly dislike the core game itself. The boring dungeons, lame combat and magic, repetitive enemies, the perk system and the shallow guild quests are a river too deep for me to cross.

And it does not help that I started a new Skyrim character just before Beth released the trailer. kvright.gif

So, no, back to the old lady for me and I will eagerly await the next ES game (with mods this time smile.gif ).

This post has been edited by Winter Wolf: Jul 12 2016, 11:58 AM

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jul 16 2016, 04:28 PM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

Anyone that owns Skyrim on the PC and owns all the DLC will get the remaster for free (as a patch? upgrade?).

I'm looking forward to it because Fallout 4 runs noticeably better on my system than Skyrim does. My hope is that the Skyrim becomes more stable.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 16 2016, 07:00 PM
Post #20

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Jul 16 2016, 11:28 AM) *

Anyone that owns Skyrim on the PC and owns all the DLC will get the remaster for free (as a patch? upgrade?).

I'm looking forward to it because Fallout 4 runs noticeably better on my system than Skyrim does. My hope is that the Skyrim becomes more stable.

Fallout 4 is a 64 bit game, or at least it is advertised as one. At least my Googling did not come up with people saying it still has some 32 bit code in there. So of course it is more stable and runs better. If Skyrim Remastered is 64 bit as well, it will definitely be more stable.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jul 16 2016, 07:00 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:01 AM