> Skyrim Special Edition - remastered
King Coin
post Jul 16 2016, 08:12 PM
Post #21

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 16 2016, 12:00 PM) *

QUOTE(King Coin @ Jul 16 2016, 11:28 AM) *

Anyone that owns Skyrim on the PC and owns all the DLC will get the remaster for free (as a patch? upgrade?).

I'm looking forward to it because Fallout 4 runs noticeably better on my system than Skyrim does. My hope is that the Skyrim becomes more stable.

Fallout 4 is a 64 bit game, or at least it is advertised as one. At least my Googling did not come up with people saying it still has some 32 bit code in there. So of course it is more stable and runs better. If Skyrim Remastered is 64 bit as well, it will definitely be more stable.

Yeah? That's enough then for me to be happy about this then.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 31 2016, 09:21 PM
Post #22

Ancient
Group Icon

So has anyone tried the Special Edition yet? I am wondering how it works? Mainly if it is a separate install from your old Skyrim game, or if it copies over your existing game?

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 31 2016, 10:25 PM
Post #23

Councilor
Group Icon

Yes, I've installed it, as the new CK is expected soon, and I've already had a request for Orc Hearthfires SE!

As yet, there's no Flawless Widescreen support, so it runs only on my left-hand monitor. I'm undecided if the new look is an improvement overall. I like the higher-res textures, but not the enforced DoF (adjustable, but I can't find "off"). Performance is merely OK, but since it's running effectively in a borderless window, instead of genuine full-screen, Windows is probably messing up the video optimisation.

The hard thing to get used to is no SkyUI. SKSE has to be updated first, and no guarantees that it will be done then. And the cloudy map, blood-spatter, and some other mod-fixed annoyances.

You can run both games. Nothing is overwritten. Saves are in a separate folder.

Body mods (since they have no esp) can be copied over and will work, but things that need new animations/skeletons etc. (jiggly bits, animated hair, poses) need re-working/conversion. Some of that needs external tools, and NifSkope has been updated to do the bits it can handle. Some nif's aren't compatible and will need de-stripifying, and missing tangents added. Anything that's not a replacement needs the CK, of course.

My first character was amused to find a horse standing where Hadvar was supposed to during the opening sequence. He was trying to push the horse off his spot, while he read the list, and it wouldn't budge.

P.S. I did fire it up at 6000x1080 and it's unplayable with the UI falling off the screen, but I can take screenshots at least. I may do a panorama from the Dragonreach Steps to post here.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Oct 31 2016, 10:28 PM

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 1 2016, 08:39 PM
Post #24

Councilor
Group Icon

SubRosa, I'm only playing it on the PS4 so far. I'll use my PC version once I've gotten a new PC. I can't think of a reason to switch to SSE from a stable, modded PC game right now unless you want to mod for the new version. I would wait until some (ha ha) of the bugs get worked out and the mods catch up. That said, I'm excited for what the future will bring with more demanding mods for the new version.

On the PS4 Skyrim is an entirely different atmosphere from on the PS3. Colors change according to light and weather. Jensa and now Jerric (of course, he will not be left out of anything) are walking around slack-jawed at how pretty it all looks. Again though, there might not be an improvement over a game that you have already modded to your liking.

ghastley, I don't remember where I saw a discussion about the Depth of Field slider not reaching zero (and you have probably solved this already), but I saw on the BethNet forums Lysette said to set bDoDepthOfField to 0 in the SkyrimPrefs.ini. That's the second thing I will change some day in my new SSE PC game. (The first thing will be timescale!)

Here are some screenshots of Jensa's unmodded PS4 game:

BFB in the afternoon snow.

BFB at dawn.

Partly cloudy with a chance of blood spatter.

It darn near looks hot out there.

This post has been edited by Grits: Nov 1 2016, 08:44 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 1 2016, 09:26 PM
Post #25

Councilor
Group Icon

The weather has definitely improved. Rain especially looks wetter and doesn't fall through the roof (or rocks) any more. The white-out blizzard has been toned down a bit, too.

I've been busy watching the water. They fixed the flow mechanics, so rivers don't flow sideways, and slow down where there's a blockage etc. The reflection/transparency of the surface seems improved, which should make fishing easier.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 1 2016, 09:44 PM
Post #26

Ancient
Group Icon

It is good to hear that it is completely separate from the regular Skyrim install. That will make it easier to use it. Not being able to turn off Depth of Field is bad. Unless that .ini tweak works. I am already using the same tweak with the normal version of Skyrim!

The biggest issue for me is mods. I have a few hundred of my own mods that I would have to convert before I could even consider playing the SE. Not to mention the hundreds of other people's mods that would need to be converted as well. Without SKSE and SkyUI I would not even think of it. But even if and when those get ported over to SE, I don't really think it is worth the effort just for a game that has a few more graphical improvements (and some graphical dis-improvements like forced DOF).

I think it is the consoles who get the real value here. With no mods to begin with, there is not much to hold you back. But one thing I noticed in Grits' pics instantly turns me off of trying it. I can see a faint fog over every pic. Not dramatic, but there. That is something removed by one of the mods I use, which pushes back the distance of exterior fogging, and another eliminates interior fogging.

So I do not see me ever bothering. It just looks like too much work before it is even playable.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 1 2016, 09:53 PM
Post #27

Councilor
Group Icon

I'll probably do most playing on the old, but supporting my mods will mean testing on SE, and hoping that XB1 works, as I'm not getting one.

Don't you have mods you've published for OE (Original Edition), and still maintain?

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 2 2016, 03:02 AM
Post #28

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Nov 1 2016, 04:53 PM) *

I'll probably do most playing on the old, but supporting my mods will mean testing on SE, and hoping that XB1 works, as I'm not getting one.

Don't you have mods you've published for OE (Original Edition), and still maintain?

I do. But I have not given any serious thought to converting them to SE. I do not see the point, if I am not going to be playing it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 2 2016, 04:16 AM
Post #29

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 31 2016, 03:21 PM) *

So has anyone tried the Special Edition yet? I am wondering how it works? Mainly if it is a separate install from your old Skyrim game, or if it copies over your existing game?

Yep, liking it so far. Once it gets more mods it'll be great. Haven't played in a couple of days.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 2 2016, 03:12 PM
Post #30

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Nov 1 2016, 03:39 PM) *

ghastley, I don't remember where I saw a discussion about the Depth of Field slider not reaching zero (and you have probably solved this already), but I saw on the BethNet forums Lysette said to set bDoDepthOfField to 0 in the SkyrimPrefs.ini. That's the second thing I will change some day in my new SSE PC game. (The first thing will be timescale!)

Here are some screenshots of Jensa's unmodded PS4 game:

BFB in the afternoon snow.

BFB at dawn.

Partly cloudy with a chance of blood spatter.

It darn near looks hot out there.

I am struggling to understand how the "afternoon snow" is so dark and colorless and the "dawn" shot is bright with sunlight laugh.gif

But all the screens after that first one are gorgeous!!!! I love seeing color in Skyrim, it might entice me into firing it up!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 2 2016, 03:20 PM
Post #31

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 2 2016, 10:12 AM) *

I am struggling to understand how the "afternoon snow" is so dark and colorless and the "dawn" shot is bright with sunlight laugh.gif

The weather is a lot more "real" now. The snow would go with overcast skies, low light, and various levels of reduced visibility from the snow itself.

I find the rain to be particularly good in the new release. If only I could remember to start Fraps, I'd post some.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 2 2016, 03:28 PM
Post #32

Ancient
Group Icon

I think they will have to keep up with the current and future gen PC systems and Consoles; and rather than break into the new technologies with the new games they will be bringing out in the future, they decided to practice working on the new technology with an established game like Skyrim.

Then once they get the hang of it, they will start implementing their new games into the new formats.

I wouldn't be surprised if their future games will come only in 64 bit. Microsoft wants everyone to buy their latest versions of PC & XBox; and they have been huge funders in BSG. If their games are made only for the most current equipment it will force people to update their systems.

Either that, or they will offer 32 bit as a secondary option only.

This post has been edited by mALX: Nov 2 2016, 04:04 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 2 2016, 04:03 PM
Post #33

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Nov 2 2016, 10:20 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 2 2016, 10:12 AM) *

The weather is a lot more "real" now. The snow would go with overcast skies, low light, and various levels of reduced visibility from the snow itself.

I find the rain to be particularly good in the new release. If only I could remember to start Fraps, I'd post some.

Hmmm, I would hope that would be adjustable. One of my (few) fond memories of Skyrim was standing in a woods when it started snowing, and the sun was glistening off the snow flakes like it used to do when it snowed in New York State. It was a gorgeous moment, and enhanced by the music in the background it was a magical one. One of the few times I found myself enchanted by Skyrim.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 2 2016, 04:10 PM
Post #34

Ancient
Group Icon

Fallout 4 was Bethesda's first 64 bit game. When Beth bought out the Fallout franchise they used the game engine they had from Oblivion to make Fallout 3, giving it a few updates and tweaks. Then they took the Fallout 3 game engine and used it to make Skyrim, again, giving it tweaks. They have been using the same game engine since Morrowind in fact.

But I think they actually made a brand new game engine with Fallout 4. It is 64-bit, so it must be all new code. Unless there is still some 32-bit code buried in there (which would not surprise me, knowing Bethesda), but I have not seen anyone say so. Given their history of reusing the same game engine over and over, they undoubtedly used the Fallout 4 game engine to make the Skyrim SE (since it is also 64-bit). When their next Elder Scrolls or Fallout game comes out they will surely use the same engine again, with more tweaks. So future Beth games will all be 64 bit.

Really though it is about time. We have had 64-bit operating systems for what, 15 years now? When Windows 95 came out we were getting true 32-bit games within just a few years.

TBH, one thing I don't like about Skyrim's graphics is how dark and grey it is when it is snowing. When I go out when it is snowing the sky is all grey to be certain, but the air is bright, because snow is white, and reflects light. All the other colors in the world don't become muted either. This woman's scarf would be grey or black in Skyrim

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Nov 2 2016, 04:19 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 2 2016, 04:18 PM
Post #35

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Nov 2 2016, 11:10 AM) *

Fallout 4 was Bethesda's first 64 bit game. When Beth bought out the Fallout franchise they used the game engine they had from Oblivion to make Fallout 3, giving it a few updates and tweaks. Then they took the Fallout 3 game engine and used it to make Skyrim, again, giving it tweaks. They have been using the same game engine since Morrowind in fact.

But I think they actually made a brand new game engine with Fallout 4. It is 64-bit, so it must be all new code. Unless there is still some 32-bit code buried in there (which would not surprise me, knowing Bethesda), but I have not seen anyone say so. Given their history of reusing the same game engine over and over, they undoubtedly used the Fallout 4 game engine to make the Skyrim SE (since it is also 64-bit). When their next Elder Scrolls or Fallout game comes out they will surely use the same engine again, with more tweaks. So future Beth games will all be 64 bit.

Really though it is about time. We have had 64-bit operating systems for what, 15 years now? When Windows 95 came out we were getting true 32-bit games within just a few years.

TBH, one thing I don't like about Skyrim's graphics is how dark and grey it is when it is snowing. When I go out when it is snowing the sky is all grey to be certain, but the air is bright, because snow is white, and reflects light. All the other colors in the world don't become muted either. A red car in the snow is just as red as it is on a sunny day. But in Skyrim that same red car would look brown or black.

I know that I had a lot of trouble with both Skyrim and Fallout 3 crashing on my 64 bit PC; had to go through a bunch of ini changes and some DLL to stop the constant crashes.

I've been meaning to ask this; mainly because I haven't seen or heard a single thing about it since FO4 came out - is there a Geck? Is it modable?

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 2 2016, 04:20 PM
Post #36

Ancient
Group Icon

I believe the Geck for FO4 has been out for a while. I think you can only download it from Bethesda.Net though. But I am not sure.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 2 2016, 04:50 PM
Post #37

Councilor
Group Icon

I think I saw that when I went there to get the Skyrim SE CK.

You need to download the Bethesda.net launcher to get to it. That seems to also replace the Steam Client for running SSE (and it loads a lot faster), so I wonder if the same applies for FO4?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 2 2016, 05:07 PM
Post #38

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Nov 2 2016, 11:50 AM) *

I think I saw that when I went there to get the Skyrim SE CK.

You need to download the Bethesda.net launcher to get to it. That seems to also replace the Steam Client for running SSE (and it loads a lot faster), so I wonder if the same applies for FO4?

Ooh, is it possible they are cutting out the Steam middleman? And what does that do to people who bought their games via Steam?

(I just hope they don't sever Nexus).

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Nov 2 2016, 11:20 AM) *

I believe the Geck for FO4 has been out for a while. I think you can only download it from Bethesda.Net though. But I am not sure.

Oh, than you! I guess since I didn't buy the game, I didn't keep following it or something. Hadn't heard a thing about mods or DLC = anything!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 2 2016, 07:39 PM
Post #39

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm seeing reports that the Necromage perk no longer works beneficially for vampire characters. I wonder what other stealth fixes will turn up. Hopefully the Astronaut Stone is fixed! Jerric is at Fort Dawnguard, headed in that direction next. Fingers crossed that he will not start absorbing his summon spells.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 2 2016, 09:01 PM
Post #40

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 2 2016, 12:07 PM) *

Ooh, is it possible they are cutting out the Steam middleman? And what does that do to people who bought their games via Steam?

It looks like SE only needs Steam for the initial download (because of the entitlement check, they had to do it that way). Thereafter it seems to run without, but is probably directly hooked up to Bethesda instead. Still, it might persuade people like mirocu to consider the PC release. Thorny's already got a console (360?) copy of OE, so he's coming to the dork side of the farce already.

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:17 AM