4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Goblin Lady
Acadian
post Oct 17 2019, 08:55 PM
Post #61

Paladin
Group Icon

Aww, another reminder that her plans for goblins and the IC didn't go so well. You can lead a goblin to Mehrunes Dagon but you can't make it attack the correct target. tongue.gif

'She had a seat upon the comfortable bed, her newest friend in all the world of Tamriel.'
- - Love this line!

Yes, I'm not sure I trust Ignito either. . . . We shall see.

SubRosa is right about writing how and what feels right. You'll find your readers can be pretty intuitive about picking up on what YOUR objectives for writing are and then supporting your goals. One nice thing about fan fic for fun is the freedom and flexibility it provides. Most of us here like it when a writer here 'lingers' and spends as much time as the story calls for in whatever areas the writer feels the story calls for. One example I like to use is a full episode of 1200-1500 or so words where Buffy was making camp for the night and spent 80% of the episode talking about how she made her toothcleaning powder and how she and Daenlin 'fletched' her toothbrush with bamboo and boar bristles. And casting all modesty aside, Buffy did a pretty good job of making it a fun and interesting episode. laugh.gif

Renee, I know you've been nervous about writing and calling it fan fiction. But fan fiction is exactly what you're writing - and doing a fine job of it if I may say so. I hope you can now realize that we are not hypercritical ogres but, rather, quite supportive of the efforts of our writers here. What I'm getting at is that if you would like this thread moved from here in the Ob cheats section over the fan fiction section of the forum, just let SubRosa or I know. Totally your call though. smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 17 2019, 09:06 PM
Post #62

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Oct 17 2019, 03:55 PM) *

... What I'm getting at is that if you would like this thread moved from here in the Ob cheats section over the fan fiction section of the forum, just let SubRosa or I know. Totally your call though. smile.gif

We hypercritical ogres are waiting over there for the fresh meat! biggrin.gif

Also "A supercritical fluid is any substance at a temperature and pressure above its critical point, where distinct liquid and gas phases do not exist." Or in other words, it can't boil because the pressure is too high. Hypercritical is an order of magnitude beyond that. Ogres don't like being under that kind of pressure and it makes them grumpy.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Oct 17 2019, 09:16 PM

--------------------
Mods for Oblivion and now Daggerfall and Skyrim. Fan fiction, too.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 20 2019, 02:31 AM
Post #63

Councilor
Group Icon

Lopov, my friend. Now why would you suppose Ignytiq is up to no good? smile.gif

I was unsure whether I should add that dream, because originally I was going to mash last week's chapter and this week's into one. And that woulda been too much text. smile.gif

The most amazing thing about that dream (to me) was not its abruptness. I was amazed that all my HTML codes worked, you know, for all that italic text. I hand-wrote all those codes, like this: [ I ] text [ / I ] .. I wrote that dream, then managed to write all those codes in about 15 minutes. Amazingly, they worked too! When I copy/pasted that story I was expecting at least one mistake, but my gosh, everything was flawless!

------------------------

SubRosa: wow really? I shall do so then (write as much as I like, that is). I still tend to cut stuff out though, here and there. smile.gif Believe me, I get tempted to add every silly conversation Jayne hears as she goes about the city, like I used to do when gaming with Kahreem. :lol; That would be way too much, though.

Yes, going back to bed is one of my favorite hobbies. I'm pretty good at it. Especially on Sundays!

Really? You also think the elf is up to no good? Why do people keep saying this? mellow.gif

-----------------------------

Acadian: Again with suspicions about the elf! Well what if he actually means well? smile.gif He seems pretty goodhearted to me, so far. *shrugs*

Heck yes, you do add all sorts of little things like toiletries into your tales, this is true. I remember being impressed by the way Buffy would make homemade things out of bare ingredients, and you'd explain all the different items & ingredients she used. Lopov and I were recently talking about Buffy Book 2, comparing our favorite moments. Mine was when she went into that giant tree-city. And then brought Superian up there too!

Nice. smile.gif So you're saying it was okay that I sort of went off-track with her dream. Good! I get sort of nervous about this story, that is true. Whoa. This is Fan Fiction??? blink.gif Whoa, I need a drink. Yikes. Are you sure?

I want to discuss story writing for a moment. Writing this story behind-the-scenes is different from anything else, okay? ... Each Kahreem chapter for instance, took about 2 hours usually, with an hour of editing. Maybe another half-hour to add pictures. I was having a lot of fun, laughing as the story went along. I always gamed & wrote in real-time, too.

Well with Goblin Lady, each of these chapters is taking SIX hours, or more. indifferent.gif I enjoy it, but then sometimes I also get frazzled! I look at the clock and realize it's midnight, and I've been writing since seven. blink.gif But I'm not just writing, I am also dealing with Construction Set stuff. When you write quests, stuff always goes wrong, especially if you're trying to break out of your usual box of safety. So that takes extra time, too.

And then I ask myself all sorts of questions. "What does that guard think when Jayne lays out her past?" Why does he think she's BSing him?, and so on. It gets, actually, like, philosophical, and psychological, writing this story does.

Anyways, thanks, friend.

==-======-------------------------------

ghastley: Ha ha! laugh.gif I need another drink!

--------------------------------------

To all: How long do you spend writing your stories? I am curious. What goes on behind the scenes?

This post has been edited by Renee: Oct 20 2019, 04:40 AM
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 20 2019, 02:57 AM
Post #64

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter XII: White Gold Tower

IPB Image

Middas, 3:55 am

Ignytiq and Jayne planned on heading toward the Imperial City's White Gold Tower, but the hours had gone late. Much time had passed; it was close to four in the morning by then. The Bosmer and the Imperial agreed that it'd be best if they waited until the next night, to hatch their planned escapade. The Bosmer promised to meet his former taskmaster later on hat night, in Merchants Inn. All of this meant Jayne was free to spend the entire day, in any manner she wanted.

First priority: More sleep in her actual bed.

It did not take more than four seconds after the elf had left before Jayne was crawling back into comfort. Here she spent many more hours, sleeping, dreaming, wondering, listening to other tenants rise and be off into whatever daily routines.

Secondly: A leisurely day spent.

Bread and beer for break-fast. A slow walk through portions of the city. A long soak in the Market District's Public Bathing House (where she found more beer, as well as wine). Jayne wondered what the fuss was about, this new, free place to bathe? The concept did not make any sense. Upon entering its echoing walls, at first she had no idea where she was to go, to change out of her clothes. Nobody was about, so she simply disrobed righ there, dropping her shirt and skirt by the side of the pool. Eventually she noticed the sign: PLEASE GO THROUGH THE FAR DOOR TO CHANGE OUT OF YOUR CLOTHES, it said.

"Blimey. Well. No matter, I suppose."

All her life, Jayne had been a capable swimmer: Stroking through tepid, lukewarm pondwater here, or cold and salty seawater there. So the Bathing House's body-temperature liquid surprised her. It delighted her! She immediately felt some sort of transformation take place, after entering its warmth. An hour quickly passed, as she floated and dove lazily.

Eventually, Jayne could not resist taking one of the beers, located on a nearby table. She downed it within minutes, unsure whether she had committed a crime. Nobody had shown up though; no guards came rushing in. Her head recieved that familiar, floaty feeling. She began to go for another, wondered if maybe some wine might be even better? ... Then changed her mind. Cannot fall into old habits, lady! Not now. Let us wait and see how the night shall commence.

Dinner in Merchants Inn was served by Velus Hosidius, who still ran the place after all these years. Here, Jayne managed to further abstain. Instead, she drank plain water with her meal. She also spent her time looking around calmly, as other patrons wandered in. She indulged herself, imagining what it'd be like, being amongst common Cyrodiilic society again. Being courted. Being respected.

But, the hours began moving again. It was time to begin. Ignytiq the elf walked in at some point, winking impatiently, causing Jayne's pulse to pick up, her tummy to feel mushy with anticipation.

As patrons all around continued their meals and engaged in ponderous banter, Jayne stalked out quietly. Found a quiet alcove to change out of her clothes, the same clothes she'd been wearing ever since making landfall in Leyawiin. She then left them, right on the ground. She could not part with her totem, however. She'd put too much love and care into its creation, after all. It might still have some value in the future. Would this become a problem?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

IPB Image

"You've got my ear citizen. Let's hear it," said a guard minutes later, as Jayne passed out of the Market District, and began nearing the tower.

Jayne said nothing. Did not acknowledge man's greeting. She continued to walk, sweating lightly under Ignytiq's supposed disguise. Overhead, the tower loomed, and she could not help but stop for a moment. Gazed at the massivity of it. But she did not pause for very long. Would one of these monks Ignytiq mentioned gaze and pause at the tower for long? Of course not. It'd be a site to see on that very first day, perhaps.

"Hail good citizen," another guard interrupted, making some sort of small salute. "How can I be of service?"

Jayne did not answer. Began plodding again, but more briskly. As though she were here every night, and knew where she had to go. But then, first problem:

Where are the tower's doors?

She began circling White Gold's base, unsure of where its exact entry was located. After several minutes (and probably an almost complete orbit around the gigantic spire), she finally found it. Walked between a pair of palace guards, then was in the coolness of the tower itself. Turned right. Walked steadily upon the corridor's curved surface.

"Speak," another guard suggested, after Jayne passed through the tower's lower set of doors, and into the upper Elder Council chambers. She paused walking for the slightest of moments. Nobody's telling me I need to contain myself to the first and second floors, she noticed. Nobody's telling me I need to 'show my respect' for the Elder Council, by 'keeping my voice down.'

She smiled under her hood. Ignytiq has apparently planned well.

Her observations were confirmed moments later. Even after she'd passed out of the upper council chambers and into the guards' barracks (forbidden area, for most) nobody broke routine. Nobody was clanking toward her. In their eyes, Jayne was just another monk or a scribe, here in White Gold Tower. In fact, an entire squadron of metal-wearing wardens passed by at one point, half of them pausing to say pleasant hellos to her. As though she belonged.

Oh Jayne, if you could see your face right now!

Ignytiq had said this, just after waking her up the night before from that wretched dream.

Jayne could not help but smile again, wondering if this might actually work. Wondering if it were okay to grin quietly under her hood. Did other members of this 'Religious Council' ever grin as they traveled their nightly routines? One thing's for sure, she thought, being with that gang of thieves surely caused me to become quite the actress.

It was true. Though taken by force by those roustabouts from her quiet life in Seyda Neen, then held agains her will for months, all Jayne could realize now as she padded quietly around the circular hallway was just how grateful she was that she'd been (incidentally) trained by them. Trained to keep calm. Trained to act a part. Trained to be ultimately successful. Or else. That devious training was helping her now, she realized.

You deserve all due respect for all your service to the Empire.

Ignytiq had said this, too. As Jayne Goodfall neared the next set of doors she'd need to open, she began to relax. She slowed her pace. A thousand memories then came flooding. Memories of her former workmates. Memories of hours spent looking up obscure references, and studying all sorts of bizarre creatures. She neared the next set of double doors: The Elder Scrolls Library. Location of her former office. She fetched around for the second key Draynas had handed her the night before. Grabbed it out of her pocket. "ESL" had been etched upon its haft. A moment of exhilleration buzzed through Jayne's body, as the key turned the door's tumblers.

The library! Jayne took another moment to pause, before striding confidently forward. Familiar scents of linen and lambskin, all around. A red-robed man approached her as she entered this precious place, then walked by without a word. Ignytiq had done well. The corridor continued to gently curve left before her. Jayne resisted an urge to have a walk into the library itself, instead pressing forward until she saw the actual door to her former office.

We'd be partners, you and I. Under payment and employment of the city.

Jayne paused. Suddenly grasping. Suddenly alerted.

Oh, I couldn't do that! We're after-hours right now!

Statements from her former employee, who now traipsed around the city like a count or a land-baron, wearing stately clothes. Scented by flowery perfumes. Sitting upon that table in the Tiber Septim. His statements were suddenly bothering her. But why?

The genius of my plan comes now.

Jayne reached for the final key. Lifted it out of her pocket. Had a look at its haft, which was engraved with the letters 'B' and 'C', causing more concern. She inserted it within the door's lock, and turned. Finally opened her way into the office itself. Had a look inside.

"You ... fetcher."

Jayne Goodfall, aghast. Yet not entirely surprised.

"You bloody ... bleeding ... FETCHER!!!"

-----------------

Ignytiq's plan

Jayne's leisurely day

Bathhouse Scene

Dinner by candlelight

Walking in White Gold Tower

"Hail good citizen!"

The Office Door`

This post has been edited by Renee: Oct 20 2019, 02:15 PM
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 20 2019, 07:32 PM
Post #65

Paladin
Group Icon

A pleasant day of bathing and beer. Wise of Jayne to keep her beer consumption under control, given her plans for the evening.

The robe disguise is working, as Jayne is able to wander freely around the White Gold Tower.

Uh-oh, a cliffhanger! I confess just a touch of uncertainty as to whether the 'fetcher' insults are being said by Jayne over a discovery or unexpected encounter in the office, or whether they are the words of someone who has just seen through her disguise.

No easy answer on my end on how long it takes to write stories. Sometimes I ponder for months, then sit down and actually write fairly quickly. Other times it requires outlines and 'storyboarding' to kind of help things along. When I began Book 1, I was basically journaling and writing as I went. By the end of Book 1 I had transitioned to a desire to have a longer range focus and gradually got about 25 episodes (in draft) ahead of posting. I liked that idea enough that I decided for all future endeavors, I would completely draft a story before even beginning to post it. So it was with Book 2 and I found that much more relaxing/enjoyable; that is, having a writing phase followed by an editing/posting phase.

When I write, I don't even think in terms of episodes; that is, I save breaking it into episodes until quite late in the editing process.

Regarding editing, I routinely read the whole story to make sure it all fits. When a piece of the story gets close to posting and is culled out into a prospective episode, it gets lots (and lots) of edits. Most of my edits are done in the word program that I write in but I find much value as posting draws near in viewing the episode in 'forum' view - that is, either via a PM to myself or a draft post that I don't actually post in order to get a different view of the episode which often catches additional minor things to adjust. Another very helpful tool I use for editing is to read the episode aloud - ideally to a willing subject like Mrs Acadian - I am often surprised to find things that are not quite right that only manifest by reading aloud.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 21 2019, 07:13 PM
Post #66

Ancient
Group Icon

Jayne has that guard's ear? Ewwww! laugh.gif

I always want to bark when the guards say "Speak!"

Uh oh, looks like Ignite It's treachery is now coming to fruition. I wonder who BC is? Baurus something? I guess we will find out next episode!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Oct 21 2019, 07:30 PM
Post #67

Master
Group Icon

That's very friendly, Renee, you let us hanging on a cliff. devilsmile.gif

I knew it that Ignytiq is up to no good! Malevolent scheming tree-hugger!

In this story one can really feel the change in mood - it starts peacefully, then it becomes more and more intense with every sentence and Jayne's passing thoughts until the very end.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2019 - 02:27 PM