Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

120 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Today in Cyrodiil, spoilers version, TES: 4 Oblivion character accounts & stories
Grits
post Aug 12 2013, 02:20 AM
Post #41

Councilor
Group Icon

Good grief, when Kahreem kicked the guard out of his jail cell I laughed myself silly. I was hoping you'd get him out to play this weekend! smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 12 2013, 04:47 AM
Post #42

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Aug 11 2013, 09:20 PM) *

Good grief, when Kahreem kicked the guard out of his jail cell I laughed myself silly. I was hoping you'd get him out to play this weekend! smile.gif

Ha ha thanks. The story is actually unfinished. We keep losing the Internet in our house, it's really gettin on my nerves! Kahreem got past the torture room, though, and is about to break into the Count's chambers, so that's where the story shall pick up next time I'm writing.

--------------------
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Aug 12 2013, 11:35 AM
Post #43

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Glad to see he´s not giving up at least! laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 12 2013, 02:11 PM
Post #44

Councilor
Group Icon

Yeah, that knucklehead will never give up. Lol. Anyways, it's Monday morning, and it's overcast outside. I'm going to try to see if I can finish this chapter up properly.

Sun's Dusk 2, 3E433 6:20 am

Play time: 85:46:33

Days Passed: 68
Days Jailed: 17

The final door into the Count's chambers has the cheapest lock, Kahreem thinks as he picks it with one try. He is lucky. He's managed to make it this far with only 5 lockpicks. He found a sixth lockpick in a rotted old chest, and this is the only one he's broken so far.

"Funny how they use 1 and 2-tumblers to protect one of the most important people in Cyrodiil. Cheapskates," he whispers. Kahreem gazes into the room before him, which reeks of pleasant scents up top, and a lower, heavier sort of odor underneath. The odor of food which is spoiling, perhaps. He had found the Countess's "torture chamber" about an hour previously, the place was deserted, though.

"Well. Here goes nothing. Wish me luck."

After picking this final door, he closes it, and then remains motionless for about an hour. Waiting for folks to wake up and get on with their daily duties in life. He listens carefully for shoes walking nearby, but there is apparently nobody here.

7:27 am

"The elves and the magic-users make do with all their fancy spells and incantations. I get by using my wits entirely."

He is so nervous, he can hear his heartbeat punctuating in his breath ... huh huh huh .... and this is when he finally decides to have a better look into the next room, as pleasant music is piped in from somewhere unseen.*

It's a medium-sized chamber, nicely decorated with well-polished furnishings and red-colored tapestry. There's a door on the far end, and a set of dark stairs to his left. The Redguard looks carefully, and thinks he sees a man standing guard up those stairs.

"Dammit! Fokke! How'm I gonna be able to get by him?!"

Even if he sneaks into the room, he'll be way too broad and easy to notice. "Dammit."

10:25 am
He finally makes a move, after discerning that the guard has left. As he creeps into the chamber, he notices a second set of stairs on his right, and ducks up these after hearing the sound of a door opening somewhere far away. As he gets a better look, he sees there's now a door beside him.

"Ha! A one-tumbler! What the fokke is wrong with these people?"

The door leads into a hallway though, and Kahreem can see at least three other doorways in the nearby vicinity. The Redguard is lucky nobody else is standing close by.

11:47 am

"Well what do you think, Hildara, about these shades?" Countess Caro asks in the privacy of her room.

"Did you hear something?" asks her personal servant.

After a false lead into a pair of rooms, which turn out to be a dead-end, Kahreem sneaks back into the initial chamber with the nice furniture, and has a closer peek up the stairs.

"Yes! The guard is gone! That's it buddy, you're too busy now, sucking up to Miss Caro or her decrepit husband ha ha ha."

The Weet Bandit chances up the stairs, grateful that the carpet which lies upon them only quiets his shuffly foot-falls more than usual. He reaches the door and picks its simpleton lock.

"YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE IN HERE!"

He hasn't even got a chance before he is caught! ... by Countess Caro and her trusty 'handmaiden' Hildara.

"Whoops! Ahhh....gotta go!"

Kahreem is chased by the pair of ladies for what seems to be an hour or so. He makes his way back down the stairs, past a second secret door, and (finally) into the torture room. "Dammit!" He knows if he goes too far, there will only be guards at the other end. "Crappe!" So he comes up with a quick plan. After a moment when the ladies show up, he circles the torture-rack (if that's indeed what it is) and allows Hildara to place a single blow on him...

"Arrrgh!" PLUNK!

...then Kahreem rushes back the way he came. Through the first door, and past the secret one. As he passes through, he quickly ignites his torch, finds the lever half-hidden in an open-topped barrel, and closes the door!

"A A HAA HA HA!!" he laughs maniacally! The ladies are trapped inside!

"We won't hesitate to KILL you!" Hildara screams.

"Ha! You'll have to catch me first!"

Already knowing time is going to be tight, he now runs back upstairs once more, and into the room which the ladies had been locked inside. He searches and loots frantically, but cannot find the ring! ... The room is well-stocked with strawberries and apples, though. After calming down and eating some of these, he realizes they're not coming for him. ** Kahreem is safe. He decides to wait it out.

"Perhaps the Countess sleeps here, and I can take that damn ring from her very pocket," he says aloud. Nobody is here, and chances he'll have the place to himself until at least bed-time.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

6:47 pm
Totally bored, Kahreem starts creeping around the room he is in, practicing his chosen profession while snacking on grapes and strawberries, when the door suddenly opens! .. At the exact moment, Kahreem had been standing in a darker area, so the guard who opens the door (in a frenzy) does not see the Weet Bandit.

"Phewww."

7:09 pm
The guard seems to calm down, yet cannot stop his prying. He checks the room twice more, but finds no sign of the Redguard scum who reportedly "accosted" his boss. When the door opens a third time, it's not the guard who enters, it's the Count himself. He walks right in, and stands just two yards from Kahreem! ... A guard accompanies the Count, and the two of them stand literally right in front of the trespasser who's been hiding in their chambers for hours. Neither says anything, and after a few moments, both decide to leave.

11:28 pm
Kahreem is feeling sleepy, the joints in his legs getting creaky, when the door opens a fourth time. The guard does his usual step in/step out routine, leaving the Redguard wondering if anybody's ever going to fokkinge sleep in this fokkinge room. He doesn't have to wait much longer.

"The legions patrol the roads..." it's a woman's voice! "...and the Empire supports them in their task. I can't imagine we'll ever be at war with the provinces. Not in my lifetime."

Karheem breaks into a sweat, as the mundane conversation drolls on. He can hear these voices, but cannot see who speaks them.

"The Fighter's Guild is recruiting again. Not a bad way to makes some money, if you've got the stones for it," the woman informs.

I've heard others say the same," a male voice responds.
"What's the news from the other parts of Tamriel?"

"I understand daedra worship has become increasingly prevalent, in the Summerset Isles."

"It seems Summerset Isle has become a much more dangerous place!" the male responds.

"Indeed."

"Safe travels," the male says, even though the lady is simply about to "travel" to the nearest bed.

12:14 am
Kahreem assumes the lady is Countess Caro, and that she speaks to the guard posted outside her room, but as she walks in, Kahreem is dismayed to find there's another male with her: The Count of Leyawiin. Both of them walk in the room, and climb into bed.*

"Finally!"

Kahreem sneaks slowly towards the Countess as she sleeps.

This post has been edited by Renee: Dec 6 2022, 07:53 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 23 2013, 12:59 AM
Post #45

Councilor
Group Icon

IPB Image

Turdas, 7:25 pm
Sun's Dusk 8, 3E433

Level: 4
Class: Ranger

Health: 105
Magicka: 120
Fatigue: 167

[Days Passed: 74
Fame: 5
Infamy: 0

"Erthor, try this. It it known as 'monkshood', and this is the pulp which resides within its bulbs. Monkshood is in season right now. Mmmm...."

Lady Saga then proceeds to take a raw mouthful of this horribly bitter herb right in front of him, scoffing it down with zest, making him want to vomit.

"I hope we'll get to --" Erthor starts, but does not finish his sentence.

Over many weeks and (now) months, he has asked, reasoned, and pleaded with his wood elf "rescuer" to take him back to his hometown, but she has ignored him at all counts. Rescuer is not the correct word, Erthor thinks, Captor is more like it. When will I get back to Skingrad? ... Oh Azura, WHEN?.

The pair had left Cheydinhal an hour ago, and now strides roughly south, although their exact direction tends to wander this way and that as they encounter various trees and boulders. Saga has decided to avoid the roads as they travel south to Leyawiin, now that she knows she can handle Cyrodiil's wilds. No bears, no trolls, not even a greater wolf has crossed their path since her return. Even if Erthor were not with her, her newfound ability to summon scamps has saved her many times, and she has often left him behind as they plundered various lairs.

"It has been ages since I last saw these parts," she says, referring to the Nibenay Basin forest in which they travel.

As they come to a steep hill, Saga spies a group of plant life on the slope.

"Columbine, St. John's, and nightshade, Erthor. The first two are edibles, but never partake of the third, yes? ... 'Tis as poisonous as a snake, and bitter as an orc's toe. Should ye find thyself deep in the forest, as of some day you might, know your herbs for survival, and never eat nightshade."

Erthor, the rogue mage of Skingrad, who has watched his partner eat pallid leaves, rotten-looking mushrooms, and dangerous-looking herbs over the past few weeks, doesn't really see what the difference is. It's all uncooked, untasty vegetation, to him.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4:48 am

"I am going to be trekking forwards. You stay here, Erthor."

"Okay! If you say so!"

Aerin, the Wood Elf from Valenwood hunches down, and casts her dual Detect Life spells, giving her a virtual window to see any enemies, up to 120 feet ahead. She feels a pang of something for leading Erthor on like this, taking him far away from his safe, cozy Mage's Guild family. On the other hand, the man has wanted adventure twice in hs life, and so now he's got it.

"Buggery twit"....

The name on the door of this cave they're now in is 'Vatacen'. Strange that is has an Ayleid's name, Saga thinks. But as she creeps down an underground slope, she soon finds out why it's got such a name.

"The Ayleids were here!"

It's an Ayleid ruin, which (oddly) does not have a typical white-stone Ayleid entrance. Saga wonders about this for a few seconds, but then catches sight of a purple mass in her vision. The mass is located somewhat to her left, and is low to the ground. Could be a rat, could be a sleeping Conjurer.

She nocks an unpoisoned arrow into her fine iron bow, and makes a direct shot...

"UGH!"

Not a rat. The figure now stands, and it's either a human or an elf.

"Am I supposed to be impressed?!"

Not a human or an elf! .....sounds like a female Argonian. Saga draws her bow for a second shot, and then summons an Oblivion scamp. The battle quickly catches fire between this scamp, and a ghost summoned by the Argonian, as Saga quickly sneaks off. But this lizard is tough. Before long, she runs up towards the wood elf's hiding place, and starts using her fists to make direct blows.

"AAAGH! OOF!"

Such a rarity this is! For somebody to survive one of Saga's sneak bow-attacks, and also a scamp! ... Saga does not panic, but she does fumble for her new Mace of Embers*, though.

"Fiddley!"

The lizard woman places two more blows as Saga turns to run back to where she started, and before she knows it she's got Erthor's assistance.

"NOWWW YOU WILL KNOOOW PAIN!" he bellows.

And before long, it's all over. The lizard falls to the ground, and Saga checks for a pulse.

"She is still with us, Erthor! She is still alive! Such temeritous fortune has she."

Within moments, the lizard rouses herself from the ground, as Saga now brandishes her mace.

"I don't have time for you" the lizard known as 'Skaleel' says to Saga, and calmly walks away.

This post has been edited by Renee: Dec 6 2022, 07:55 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 24 2013, 11:53 PM
Post #46

Councilor
Group Icon

12:58 am, Sun's Dusk 3, 3E433

Days Passed: 69
Level: 5

IPB Image

Dextrous precision ... calm under pressure ... and being a "sneaky-looking sort". Everything in the Kahreem of Weet's career now leads up to this very point.

Gotta keep steady. One bad move and this is ALL over, Kahreem thinks wildly. Before him is his goal: Countess Alessia Caro, that famous rebel of a woman who did just what she wanted in life: got outside her town's walls to view Cyrodiil itself. She's enigmatic, she's charismatic, and Kahreem is about to pick her pocket.

The ring! Is it here?

He never did get to speaking to the woman he was supposed to contact beforehand: Caro's personal hand-maiden Hildara. An Argonian beggar suggested that Kahreem contact Hildara first, before doing anything else. But things had become a little ... complicated. Kahreem had not anticipated he would not be able to find this "Hildara", and also that he would be arrested. Again.

As he nears the Countess, Kahreem smiles. He cannot believe he's made it this far. It's taken hours ...HOURS of waiting until this moment. As he waited, he had become bored, and also hungry. Good thing the Count made sure to stock his room with plenty of strawberries; Kahreem had eaten them all. At some point hours ago, he had been nearly caught by the Count himself, along with one of his guards. That had been a hairy moment, but somehow they had not noticed the dark man hiding in their very chambers.

But look at me now! I've DONE it!

He's wearing a dark green shirt matched with light brown trousers made of linen. His shoes are the sandals typically issued in jail. His brow is shiny with sweat, as he prepares for the moment at hand. He crouches.... He reaches....

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

1:00 am

[GASP] "Why you dirty little thief! How DARE you touch the likes of me!"

"Many pardons me'lady!" Kahreem tries, using a funny accent. "Must've gotten lost on me way to the faire-stoning!" He says this while moving his hands in a dramatic way; as if he's on stage or something. Faire-stoning? What the fokke is a faire-stoning?

His accent and his elaborationary movements do nothing to calm her down, though. Kahreem had looked into a pocket woven into Alessia Caro's shift and found three keys, two apples, and a couple potions. One of the keys looked different from the others, and Kahreem had picked this key first. Alessia did not stir. So he got greedy. And tried to remove another key.

"It's all over, lawbreaker! Your spree is at an end! I'll take any stolen goods you have. The next move is yours -- Pay your fine, or I'll haaaaul you away!"

Kahreem had run head-first out of the Count's Manor with Missus Alessia in hot pursuit! Kahreem had expected he would be accused by a guard very soon, and so here is his chance to redeem himself.

"Uh-uh...No way. No way, guard, Kahreem says mildly, knowing all Oblivion is about to break loose. "You'll have to catch me and kill me if you want this key. I've come too far...."

"THEN PAY WITH YOUR BLOOD!"

Like a flash, Kahreem moves and is out of the room! .. 'Pay with his blood' is one thing he is NOT going to participate in. "HAAAA!" yells the guard as he swings his silver sword, barely catching Kahreem's trousers.

The Redguard rushes down the stairs! And makes several twists & corners until he's back at the door, the one he knows he can close shut with the pull of a lever...

"You should have PAID THE FINE!" the guard reminds the Redguard.

"Yeah, but I didn't, so I still have all my money!"

Kahreem reaches into the barrel as the guard swings again. He knows the secret door to the Countess's torture chamber is closed, so he makes sure to open it now. Then he runs back up the stairs, and into the Count's parlor area.

"Hah! Urr-ee-urr-ee-urr!" the guard is FURIOUS. Angry that he's being embarrassed. I must catch this scum! Getting desperate for results, Alessia herself joins the fray, swinging her bare fists at the Weet Bandit.

"Ha! You want THIS?" Karheem dangles the key before her. "I'm going to get that ring, honey!"

As he says this, he realizes that the Count is nowhere to be seen. Is he actually sleeping through all of this?
...before anybody knows it, Kahreem dodges past the guard and the Countess, and is back down the stairs in a flash! ... after fumbling with his torch in pure darkness, he finds the secret door. It's open! He dashes through

"YOU'LL NOT GET AWAY WITH THIS!"

...and finds the lever on the other side.

"Who the fokke?"

Kahreem is greeted on the other side by a lady with strong shoulders and black hair.

"Hildara?"*

She does not answer, but instead boxes him a couple times with her fists.

"ARRGH!" Kahreem finds the lever, but it takes him a couple times to pull on it "STOP IT!" because she keeps hitting him. But he does so.

"HAH!"

He now lunges past this crazy hand-maiden, and runs down a hallway. Kahreem knows he can call upon his Redguard ancestry if he really needs to move even faster, but for now he runs at a regular man's pace. Finds a door, and steps right on through.

"It's just you and me now, Hildara," he calls as he hears her following.

------------------------------------------

Lol moment: Karheem locked both Alessia and Hildara in the Countess's torture chamber hours ago, but somehow Hildara never figured out how to escape!

1:58 am

"ARRGH! ... Is that the best you can doooo?"

Kahreem spends a moment dancing with Hildara in the torture room, running in circles with blood on the floor. His plans aren't to fight her, but to confuse her, by somehow backing her into a corner, and then getting an advantage in speed out of this room. But then, a problem....

"To ARMS! To ARRRMS!"

...the guard apparently had made it past the secret door, and he now brandishes his silver bow. Kahreem must now dash away!

pllllchth ... thwew! ... "HUUUGH!"

Kahreem laughs wildly as he runs down a dark, stone hallway! Apparently, he has just heard the guard shooting Hildara instead of him! AAAH-HA HA HA HA. Within moments, the twisting hallway ends! He comes to a door and panics! Runs in a circle! Until he remembers the LEVER. Another secret door! Kahreem pulls the lever as (again) Hildara gets a few lucky blows on the Redguard.

"Hey, come on now! Fokke!" and once again, Kahreem does it. Opens the secret door, rushes through, finds the barrel with the other lever located within, and pulls this too. Hildara gets him a few more times, but the bandit is safe! "HAHAHA!!!" .. Hildara has made it through, but the guard is now trapped!

"I'm just warming up, YOU PATHETIC WORM!" the guard is now pissed to find himself locked behind some sort of door.

"I may be pathetic, but you're the one locked behind that door!"

"URRRRRRR!" Hildara growls primordially, attempting another swing.

Kahreem laughs at her, then finds his way back out of the castle's basement.

3:10 am
It seems as though many hours have passed, but it's hard for him to tell; he feels rather drained after using his Reguard Adrenaline Rush as he ran from the law. All his energy's now spent. Kahreem finds himself behind the town of Leyawiin, crouched down in the grass next to a large stone wall. He senses that the guard who was chasing him must have become preoccupied with the mudcrab Kahreem had passed, for this guard is nowhere to be seen.

"Ha! saved by a mud crab!"

By law, guards and Imperial road patrols had an obligation to kill as many of these menaces as possible, which means this anonymous guard, who had been pursuing a Redguard thief scum, the same scum (it was rumored) who had also been caught breaking into the castle up in Bravil, must now stop his pursuit in order to take down a mud crab. Kahreem checks his pocket for the odd key he found in the Countess's possession as he eats a stolen apple. It's still in his pocket.

"This must be the answer!" Kahreem whispers as he hides in the grass.

He eats his apple to the core as he winds down from excitement.

This post has been edited by Renee: Dec 6 2022, 08:18 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 29 2013, 12:01 AM
Post #47

Councilor
Group Icon

IPB Image

11:15 am Sun's Dusk 16, 3E433

Lush grasses, green and vibrant. Warm sun, but cool forests. Lady Saga walks cautiously with Erthor along upon a steep hill. They are at the very top of this hill.

"Times like these, I do have remembrance of why I orbed full circle back from Valenwood. Feel that breeze, Erthor. Take it upon your skin, and into your nostrils."

Occasional thatches of a plant Saga has not identified yet show up in their travels, these are often tinged pink, white and yellow. Grasses of some sort, but bushier than usual emerald varieties. She has not found a use for these grasses, but the deer sure seem to love eating them. As they near the top of a hill, Aerin thinks she has spotted a very faint path, and begins to walk cautiously down hill again. A river lies ahead.

Saga has discarded her former iron helmet for the Cowl of the Druid, a hood which cost her nearly 7,000 gold. She has also dropped her iron gauntlets as well, and has not replaced them at all.

Lady Saga and Erthor find an empty boat dock. A much more obvious path leads from this dock upwards to what looks to be a cave. "Wenderbek Cave" she reads.

Imps? Marauders? Trolls? She does not fear whoever may be lurking inside.

This post has been edited by Renee: Jul 6 2022, 02:56 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Aug 29 2013, 12:05 PM
Post #48

Spam Meister
Group Icon

You´ve been quite busy, Renee! I love reading about Kahreem´s thievery! tongue.gif And Saga doesn´t wear so much heavy armor anymore. Good for her smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 2 2013, 05:39 PM
Post #49

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Aug 29 2013, 07:05 AM) *

You�ve been quite busy, Renee! I love reading about Kahreem�s thievery! tongue.gif And Saga doesn�t wear so much heavy armor anymore. Good for her smile.gif

I kinda lost inspiration towards the end of Saga's story there, I don't know if you can tell. Happens sometimes. Kahreem's tale, on the other hand, keeps moving forward. It's easier for me to write about him since half the story is already written (TG).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Loredas 5:23 am Sun's Dusk 3, 3E433

Days Passed: 69

Bounty: 25
Fame: 0
Infamy: 7

Rain falls hard from a humdrum sky, as the Weet Bandit hides behind Leyawiin. They are looking for him. Searching for him. He's just managed to steal a small key from Countess Caro as she slept, but then he got greedy. Tried to steal even more from her person, and she caught him in the act. So now? ... He waits and lurks behind the town.

Eventually, he realizes: it's obvious nobody's coming for him, so he gets out of his hiding place and starts to walk around. But it's dark out here.

Kahreem finds a group of flowers floating in the water. He has no idea what the seeds from these flowers do, but he believes they can be used for potion-making, so he begins harvesting them from the plants themselves. He needs to wade into some water to do this, but this doesn't matter--he's already wet from all the rain.

"Heh. Look at this. Prob'ly make more money selling all these seeds than I will for finding that damn ring!"

He makes his way around the lower side of Leyawiin, as he creeps from the south-end to the west-end of town. The trees and grasses around him are a gloomy green, heavily slicked with rain. He has no idea if he'll be accepted back into town or not.

"Lucky for me, I got this tunic, though. Ha!"... Kahreem looks into his nightbag, and discovers he's got an extra shirt. "Yep. Now I put this on, and there you go. Quite a disguise!"

He sneaks slowly round a turn, as the morning's light starts to show. The dark night turns into a dark, rainy morning, as the Weet Bandit sees one of Leyawiin's stables in the distance.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

9:26 am
There's an armored man with a long sword standing just outside of the gate. He does not look like a standard guard, but he's standing here, all the same. Kahreem braces himself for some sort of accusation or confrontation from this man, but none occurs. Minutes later is he is back in the town, walks calmly past a guard. Hmm, change of shirt must have worked he thinks.

"Fresh gaaame."

"Whot?"

"Did you hear I-tar has been at the Arena agaaain."

"I think he's just playing around," a Breton lady answers the Argonian. "I don't think he means anything by it."

"Take care...."

"Bye!"

Kahreem sells his newly-gathered sacred lotus seeds (and a sole clouded funnel mushroom) at Gundala's shop, and makes his way back to the Three Sister's Lodge, where the fur dander is so heavy in the lobby, he winds up suffering a sneezing fit that lasts for almost an hour. After a good night's rest, the Weet Bandit feels he is ready to take on Castle Leyawiin for the third time.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

12:07 am

"Tidings citizen!" ... "Hello!" ... Kahreem runs by a group of guards, hoping none will recognize him, as he now pretends to be a mail-scout.

"No time for chatter! Gotta get these gifts delivered to the Count!"

The ploy seems to work. Nobody stops the man who broke into the Castle's secret torture room, and also the Lord's Manor itself! He figures somebody's got to notice him, but he passes by with barely a glance from the guards. Before long he is back where it all started, in Castle Leyawiin's basement, groping for a hidden lever in a barrel. He manages to find a pair of blacksmith's pants and some hide shoes, furthering his disguise ever so subtly. He also finds some much-needed food: a slab of beef in a barrel, an apple, and some leftover rice. After a quick meal, he says a quick prayer to whoever might be listening, and presses on.

8:30am
Kahreem hears footsteps outside the door he currently hides behind. They sound as if they're leaving the Lord's Manor. Good. Eventually he opens the door, and cautiously walks into the lobby where he had been formerly accused of larceny. Nobody seems to be around. Good. His confidence begins to rise.

But his good fortune does not last.

"YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE IN HERE!" It's Countess Caro and her somewhat manly black-haired servant.

"Well neither are you! 'Tis going on 9 o'clock, aren't you supposed to be down in court or something?"

The ladies do not get his humor, though, and both of them bare their fists in anger. Kahreem initially turns the other way, as the ladies begin their pursuit, punching him occasionally. "OWW" "Ohh!!" ..."STOP IT you BULLIES!".. but he comes up with a plan, a way to (perhaps) turn this unfortunate situation. Instead of running back down the stairs, he decides to run back to the Count's bedroom, hoping to find a wooden jewelry box with a ring in it. And he does find one! Opens it with his key, and grabs the ring which is inside. He also grabs some sort of charter (perhaps), and a bit of gold.

"THIEF! THIEF!"

As he rushes out of the bedroom, poor Kahreem is accosted, once again.

"Weeellll now. Caught in the act, and no gold to pay your fine," says a guard, beaming with satisfaction. Didn't this Redguard just run past him a few hours before, claiming to be a mail-scout? "It's off to the lockup, then."

"So they say," Kahreem says casually. "But first, I have a few things to take care of, sir."

"Then PAY WITH YOUR BLOOD!" shouts the guard.

Once again, Kahreem finds himself being chased not just by multiple guards, but an upper-class woman and her hand-servant as well. He casts his Redguard Adrenaline Rush as he makes his way out of the Castle, and towards city gates.

"I got you! By jolly I've got you! Stupid ring!" he says, as the small militia of guards outside prepare their silver bows.

Note:

This post has been edited by Renee: Dec 6 2022, 08:34 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 8 2013, 01:45 AM
Post #50

Councilor
Group Icon

Hello everyone, how's your Saturday going? :yawn: Now I shall share a tale of a character whom I rarely spend time with. You asked for him, now you got him. smile.gif

He is derived from an idea I thought of awhile ago, but have only implemented this year. For a fuller description on the background of this character, click the Spoiler tag below.

Loredas, 3:11 am
Heartfire 1, 3E433

Race: Argonian
B. sign: The Lover
Class: Scoundrel
Level: 2

Days Passed: 6
Bounty: 96

Days Jailed: 0
Items Stolen: 8
Assaults: 1

"You're off-duty now."

"It's about time!"

Dawn breaks through the previously-rainy morning. Angular shafts of light shine clearly upon still-wet cobblestones. A note of calm and one-ness descends.

"Please sir, I've got noting to eat."

"Don't be the last to read todaaay's ... Black Horse Courier!"

The Imperial City's Market District returns to life slowly, as the morning's warmth spreads with grace.

"Do you know Maro Rufus? He specializes in Light Armor down at The Best Defense."

"I haven't spent time there, but if you're looking for light armor, The Best Defense is the place to go."

Compliance. Acquiescence. Calm interludes of conversation, which twist in a delicate manner through the avenues and alleyways. Greetings and salutations. Discourses and random perturbances.

"Oh, hullo."

"You have my ear, citizen.

The Imperial City wallows in its finest days, and dozes in its finest hours.

"Have you ever been to Edgar's Discount Spells?"

"Dissscount ssspellsss? I'd just as soon buy a slightly ussed sssshiiield".

A wilted glance. A sunny smile. A pocketful of gold. A look beguiled. These are the days when all is at its finest, the rich and the poor, nothing could be easier. Or finer.

"Naspia Cosma is really skilled with her blade. It's a shame she doesn't compete in the Arena."

"I understand her parents are against her competing. Quite a shame."

... But beneath this pleasant facade lurks a menace. A terror like none other. ....

"What. Is it?"

A pointed snout which drifts through darkness. Bird-like toes which tract and grasp. His eyesight an onus, but his hearing and nose acute. The Terror from the Imperial Sewers creeps from dark chambers and through narrow passages. Down culverts and up ladders.

"Ich habe hunger nach fleisch!! Gib mir essen, gib mir schatz!!"

His words a guttural set of growls. He climbs and clambers, and finally reaches fresh air.

"Mawning!"

"What's new with you?"

What's new with you? ... Soon, the citizens of the Imperial City would have plenty of answers for this.

~___~___~___~___~___~___~___~___~___~___~___

"Do you want to learn about Alteration? Speak with Dovyn Aren."

"He still teaches, but he lost his passion for it after the Levitation Act was passed. Can't say I blame him."

Mandil and Simplicia share a contentious conversation. Rich and poor, now equals.

A shadow of scaly skin passes by, causing the conversants to consciously crinkle.

"It seems Summerset Isle has become a much more dangerous place...."

"Be seeing you".

"Hier finden sie? Was sie tun konnen?" the shadowy scale grumbles aloud. Unconcerned and grateful, the Terror slips from shop to shop, viewing and scenting each door as he passes. Cold stone. Sturdy oak doors. Finally he raises his snout sharply. He selects a door. Grasps its knob. And into a shop he creeps.

~___~___~___~___~___~___~___~___~______~

3:12 PM

"Edgar Vautrine. You don't want the very best. You want cheap. And I got cheap."

The Sewer Lizard kinks his head in bird-like fashion, not knowing the pale-skinned man's words.

"You want to buy or sell, the City is great. You want free? Go down in the holes, kill some monsters. Sell your loot back in the city!" Edgar advises.

The Terror skulks from one end of the shop to the next, careful to avoid touching anything. He knows what happens ... if he touches.

"If you have any questions about the merchandise, you have but to ask," Edgar tries, a tinge of nervousness traces through his Bretonic voice.

Edgar knows. This is the one. The one who was spotted, stealing potions from Claudette's shop. The Argonian who did not beckon or speak, but merely walked in. Selected and chose. And walked out. Claudette must have lost hundreds! Edgar thinks wildly. Hundreds of gold, from this brazen thief!

He begins to sweat, and thinks he should call for the guard. But it's all for naught. The Sewer Lizard merely glances this way and that. Seems to decide there's nothing worth taking, and leaves Edgar's Discount Spells.

"Be seeing you!" Edgar calls, trying to insert a note of cheer into his voice.

~___~___~___~___~___~___~___~___

9:08 PM

"Put on the Feed Feed Bag! I'm Delos Fandas. We got food and drink, and lots of it!"

"Ich habe hunnnger nach dem essen," growls the creature.

Abwasserkanal Eidesche, also known as the Terror from the Imperial Sewers, has been here before. Not in The Feed Bag, but in this situation. Food all around him. On tables, counters, and shelves. Food which could last many weeks, perhaps even months. Real food, clean and free of vermin. .... But a guard protects this food. A man (a dark elf) stands guard. What to do about this unfortunate situation?

Abwasserkanal, in the past, has been dealt some rather unexpected blows, after getting hungry and simply trying to eat. Without any comprehension for the concept of payment, he has (in the past) merely grabbed and gulped. And not paid. The people do not like it that he takes their food. Their potions and poisons. They chased and tried to catch him, as he fled down the Sewers. But escape? He did.

In his meager reptillian brain, Abwasserkanal sees what must be done now to avoid all of this. He reaches on his back, and selects the weapon which hangs there. Feels its weight in his grasp. And swings. HARD.

"I'm through talking to --ARRGH!!--"

The giant hammer smashes into Delos's shoulder, but the Dunmer only flinches..while selecting his own weapon.

"Agggh!" .. "Hi-yaah!" .. smuck! plink! .....the fight is on.

...bottles and silverware smashes upon the floor, wine and food splashes! as the Lizard dances around! Jumping from table to table! .."By the ARRGH!!" The Dark Elf is wounded... seriously wounded. It looks as if the fight might tip in the Lizard's favor, as Delos' health starts to wane. With the Dark Elf dead, the Sewer Lizard could eat all he wants. He knows this.

"STOP! You violated the law!" says a metal-wearing man, so similar in appearance to the last metal-wearing man the lizard encountered. "Since you lack the funds to pay the court, you must serve out your sentence. Your stolen goods are now forfeit!"

Metal-man breaks the melee, causing some grief to Abwasserkanal the Lizard. Although his emotions are primitive, he looks at all the uneaten food on the tables, knowing he'll need to wait another time.

"THEN PAY WITH YOUR BLOOD!!!!" shouts the man in the tin suit.

The Sewer Lizards balks none, and flees through the door, unable to 'put on The Feed Bag' this time.

This post has been edited by Renee: Jul 6 2022, 04:01 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 23 2013, 02:46 PM
Post #51

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I just love how you write Kahreem´s story, Renee! Including the dialogue from the NPCs and whatnot adds so much to the story´s (gasp!) immersion! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 29 2013, 02:15 PM
Post #52

Councilor
Group Icon

Kahreem of Weet

Level: 5

Days Passed: 70
Bounty: 90

Fame: 0
Infamy: 7
Days Jailed: 17
Items Stolen: 558

Sundas 3:01 pm, Sun's Dusk 4, 3E433

"STOP! THIEF!"

"You're not supposed to be in here!"

"Am I supposed to be impressed?"

Kahreem of Weet awakes slowly from a dream, where voices echo in his head.

"Ahhh fokke!"

He knows where he is, and it's not paradise. Halfway-hidden in a rush of tall grasses, he had collapsed with earlier exhaustion, his daily Redguard's Adrenaline Rush sapping all his previous strength.

"Damn soldiers and their damn silver arrows."

The full story comes back to him now. He had managed to break into the Count's Manor once again, but had quickly been caught, once again. He had evaded multiple guards shooting silver arrows as he fled Leyawiin, and wound up in this marshy area, safe from their pursuit. And here on this hillock he had collapsed.

When he'd begun his sleep, the morning was sunny and warm, but he now awakes to a cool and dreary fog. As a nearby mudcrab suddenly notices him, and decides Kahreeem might make a better meal than whatever detritus it had previously been scavenging upon, he gets up fully from his hiding place, and trudges back to Leyawiin, armed with yet another plan of action.

//////////////////////////////////////////////

IPB Image

4:04 PM

"Who will help a poor old beggar?"

He's tried playing the part of a knowledgeable travelling 'spice merchant'. He's tried pretending to be a 'mail scout'. Now Kahreem decides he'd like to attempt Leyawiin with a different approach.

"'Scuse me sir I gots nothing to eat!"

Half-covered in grass-seed and burdocks, and wearing peasant's clothes, Kahreem not only looks the part, he also feels it. He is poor, after all. He is also feeling a bit disheveled and rundown. His spirits are low. And he needs help.

"Spare me some coin, oh pompous traveler?"

Once again, Kahreem had assumed he'd be approached and questioned by a guard upon re-entry into Leyawiin, but nothing of this sort occurs.... "I must have the best luck", he says as he makes his way towards the Five Claws, where he rents a room. The Five Claws is for poor people, after all. To further his new disguise as a beggar, it's best to live like one, as well. He can't afford the Three Sisters Inn right now, and with just 4 lockpicks in his pocket, attempting to pick the lock to his room (and breaking even just one) would not be good.

Kahreem sleeps many hours after eating a single pear.

7:02 AM

"What's your story?"

Once again, Kahreem encounters a stranger in his room. This time, it's a Nord. He feels his pockets, making sure everything is there, and it is. The Nord calmly munches a piece of bread, unaware that the Redguard who's just awoken from the bed is rather agitated.

"I'm Eitar," he says, reeking of one of Kahreem's favorite odors. Kahreem looks to the table Eitar sits at, and yes, there is a bottle of Cheap Wine there. "Saaay, did you hear what that Argonian said? What's-his-name? You know who I'm talking about?"

"I do not," Kahreem says with a smirk. He really wants that wine. Just a sip'll do.

"He said any Argonian can kick any Khajiit's butt to breakfast any day of the week," Eitar continues. "You believe that? I think he's wrong."

Kahreem is so surprised by the Nord's statement, he bursts out laughing, and it feels good to laugh. Kahreem feels suddenly happy to have Eitar the Nord in his presence.

"I think he's wrong. I KNOW Khajiit can kick Argonian butt. Any time! Any where! And you can tell everyone I said so."

Feeling as if he's made a friend, Kahreem of Weet spends the rest of the morning with this 'Eitar', learning a few things about Leyawiin as they drink, and (of course) while sharing some Cheap Wine. One of the things Kahreem learns from the Nord is that Countess Caro's maid-servant has been known to be easily flattered from time to time.

"Heh! All it takes is a few pretty words and a few come-ons, and she's like putty in your hands! Every Nord in Leyawiin knows this!"

As the drinks pour and the conversation rambles, Kahreem somehow manages to remember this one statement before passing out in a drunken stupor.

//////////////////////////////////////////////

IPB Image

Tirdas, 11:30 AM, Sun's Dusk 5

"Oh my! Are you an adventurer?" ...says Hlidara Mothril, as a nearby Argonian hisses.

"No m'lady. My name's Eitar. I'm the new blacksmith here in Leyawiin Castle."

Kahreem spent all morning just outside of town gathering more ingredients for sale. During his walk, he managed to find a nearby cabin. Unfortunately, this cabin was inhabited by a couple of mean-looking fighters, and Kahreem is glad he'd snuck out of the place, since he was only armed with a rusty old daggar at the time. Outside of this cabin were several crates & barrels, and in one of these, he found a blacksmith's outfit. He graces the court with his presence, trying on yet another approach, with a new profession.

"Gotta locate m' spurs and hammers, and I'm afraid I'm a bit lost! Leyawiin's a big place!"

"I am Hlidara Mothril. Lady Leyawiin's chaplain and chief advisor," the elf says calmly, completely unaware of whom she is speaking to. "I assist Her Ladyship so that her enlightened policies might achieve the greatest possible influence upon the affairs of County Leyawiin."

"So I've heard. I've heard you assist her with other things as well, like smashing Redguard ruffians with your fists," Kahreem mutters, and immediately wishes he hadn't. But it doesn't matter.

"Nothing I would tell you. Get lost!" Hldara says, scrunching up her face in anger.

"My apologies m'lady, for I am Redgaurd, but my profession is a legal one. Might ye offer me some humble assistance, so that I can begin my day's work? The ingots won't smith themselves, now will they?"

"This better be good."

For the next hour or so, Kahreem butters up Caro's hand-maiden and serveant with his words. ..."Such adventures, how I envy you!".... In full view of the rest of the Court, he also managed to charm them as well, telling of tales of blacksmithing he's heard from a variety of smiths and stable-hands over the years. ...."I salute you! Most impressive!".... After some time, he's noticing Hldara has completely cheered up towards him, her previous scowling nowhere to be seen. "...yah! I get it!...." So again, he tries...

"...you know, we blacksmiths talk, and I have heard this castle's got a dungeon that would outmatch any other, including a torture room! ... I have only heard such rumors, of course. But as a smith, I'd be ever-so-delighted to see the iron-workings in such a place."

"Shhh! It's dangerous to be heard talking about that," cautions Hlidara the hand-maiden. "The Countess has a secret passage somewhere in the basement that leads to her private quarters. That's where the torture chamber is. Sometimes I can hear the screams of the prisoners when I'm in my chambers." she says, her voice quivering.

"You don't say!" Kahreem says, feigning shock. "Well ya know, maybe I'll steer clear of that place. But there's something else I'd like to ask you about?"

"Say what you're going to say."

"Rumor has it there's a ring which belongs to the Lady, a ring of metal so fine, it's all-the-rage amongst us blacksmiths. Mind if I inquire of such a ring, then I'll be out of your hair, m'lady."

"Countess Caro is so relieved to have the ring back! It's been missing for many years. She wears it constantly. Well, not all the time, I mean, she puts it in her jewelry box for baths and at night. No proper lady would wear her jewelry to bed."

"And on that note, I feel I've wasted enough of your time, m'lady. I beg of thee good tidings, and shall take my leave to forge some steel."

"I think I hear milady calling!" Hlidara says with forced glee, as the Weet Bandit plans his next move.

This post has been edited by Renee: Dec 6 2022, 08:57 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 29 2013, 03:16 PM
Post #53

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Interesting that Kahreem does the role of a beggar this time, considering he almost is one anyway! laugh.gif

That Nord is quite fun, I actually took a few pixies when he had that conversation with Lothran.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 29 2013, 03:19 PM
Post #54

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Sep 29 2013, 10:16 AM) *

Interesting that Kahreem does the role of a beggar this time, considering he almost is one anyway! laugh.gif

That Nord is quite fun, I actually took a few pixies when he had that conversation with Lothran.

Heya Talking Crow. Yeah, Eitar cracks me up! This is going to be a fun tale. I'm still gaming/playing so I think I've got an hour or two left in me before I get breakfast

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Oct 4 2013, 12:22 AM
Post #55

Councilor
Group Icon

Well, Arravyne's arrived in Cyrodiil, and so let the spoilers begin!

The First Step.

Anvil, Docks

There was still fog in the air, though it made little headway inland, instead clinging to the waves. The early morning sunlight wasn't yet warm enough to burn the fog away, but it had some warmth to it, and Arravyne was glad of it, the sea breeze might be refreshing, even after being on a ship for days, but it did carry a chill. The docks were relatively quiet, the bustle of the day not having started yet, and Arravyne savourd the quiet as he walked towards the gate to the rest of Anvil. After days surrounded by the chanting and cursing of sailors, and the continual sounds of the ship underway, he longed for a little peace and quiet.

The first thing Arravyne did after leaving the docks was to find a guardsman, and ask about the mages guild. The guardsman was clearly used to such questions, and gave him directions in the weary tone of one who has repeated them far too often. And sure enough, Arravyne found the place without any trouble. Immediately upon entering he was met with the sight of an Altmer woman behind a sizable desk, and so asked about joining the guild. As it turned out, her name was Carahil, and she was the head of the Anvil branch of the Mages guild. Arravyne had to answer abrief questionnaire about his magical background, but was accepted into the guild immediately afterwards. And after Carahil told him what was required to gain access to the Arcane University, she wasted no time in setting him a task to earn her recommendation.

The task was simple; go to the Brina Cross Inn, posing as a merchant, in order to lure a rogue mage who's been attacking traders into the open, where a pair of guild battlemages will deal with her. Dangerous, but not if done right, and Arravyne had done something similar in the past. Arravyne spent some time practising alchemy, since he'd have to stay the night at the inn and it wasn't even afternoon yet. He'd researched Cyrodiil before leaving Vvardenfell, and wanted to make sure he'd gotten the basics right. About midafternoon he set out on foot for the inn, but didn't get far. Before he'd covered a third of the distance he came across a magnificent black steed being attacked by a wolf. He'd heard of these Black Horse Couriers, and assumed the rider had fled from the wolf, so started hurling flares at it, but the wolf would not be dissuaded from it's target until Arravyne burned it to the ground. Then Arravyne caught sight of a motionless figure on the ground ahead, the body of the Courier. He rummaged through her saddlebags, looking for something to identify her, but found nothing but copies of the news she delivered. So he helped himself to one of each of the six different papers she carried and decided to take the horse with him. Riding swifter than he thought possible, but the horse was well trained, and did most of the work in keeping from falling. So Arravyne reached his destination safely, if a bit shaken.

Inside the Inn Arravyne met one of the battlemages, a Breton woman called Arielle Jurard, who was disguised as a traveller, and she told him to rent a room and head upstairs. Arravyne spoke to the innkeeper, but before he could head up was intercepted by an Altmer woman, clearly terrified at the prospect of leaving the inn with a killer picking off merchants. By the time he made it to his room Arielle was already waiting for him, and gave him the specifics of the plan, then told him to get some rest. Which Arravyne did, after a good meal, anyway. The next morning it was raining heavily, a problem because Arravyne only carried two hoods; one a mages hood, kind of a giveaway, and the other didn't go with his jacket. Fortunately the rain cleared up befoe long, and Arravyne strolled down the road to Kvatch, certain that he was watched by the battlemages, even if he couldn't see them.

He was surprised to see the Altmer woman from the previous night standing in the road, but the foul expression on her face told him what she was doing there before she threatened him. On cue the battlemages burst into view, hurling spells at the Altmer, but she managed to avoid the worst of them. Arravyne cast a shield spell to protect himself from her bound axe, and waded in to get her attention. She focused on him for just a moment too long as her spell was absorbed by his Atronach gift, leaving her vulnerable to a lightning hurled by one of the battleages, Arravyne didn't know which. Not that it mattered, the mission was completed Arravyne checked her for valuables, finding a trio of strong healing potions and a pair of strong magickal restoratives, the battlemages told him to keep them, since they didn't need them. With his part done Arravyne returned to the Inn, collected his adopted horse, and rode like the wind to Anvil, where he reported his success to Carahil, who was thrilled by the news. Having secured his recommendation and bought a few new spells, Arravyne rode back to the Brina Cross Inn, where the owner was so pleased to hear of the rogue mage's death he let Arravyne stay the night for free.

Went a bit mad with the pictures with this one, not really sure why. They're not as good as I'd like, since I'm taking a picture of my TV with the camera on my phone, but that's the best us consolites can do. The updates not as good as I'd like either, but I'll tey and make the next one better.

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Oct 4 2013, 11:19 AM
Post #56

Master
Group Icon

Nice to read about Arravyne, looks like I'll be frequenting Chorrol more because I want to read about him.

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Oct 4 2013, 01:22 AM) *

They're not as good as I'd like, since I'm taking a picture of my TV with the camera on my phone, but that's the best us consolites can do. The updates not as good as I'd like either, but I'll tey and make the next one better.

Disagree & disagree, pics are ok, I think nobody excepts to see ultra-super shots from a console, and the update is a nice recollection of events.

Maybe I'll also write about Raven here on occasion, although I'd first need to introduce him somewhere, since he's been around for some time. I'll have to check for 'Show us your characters' thread if there's any.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 4 2013, 08:38 PM
Post #57

Councilor
Group Icon

Hey! The pics are great, no worries, CT. I like cell phone pics. They are a PITA to deal with (getting them from camera to email to here) but they offer something PC screenshots cannot--they don't look as 'sterile'. Cell pics are often slightly blurry. Or a bit more contrast-y than a PC shot, and for this reason they have a look that entices me. I don't even know what I'm trying to say; it's hard to explain what I mean.

I mean don't get me wrong, I've seen some bad cell pics, too, but the ones you posted are fine. They are sharp and have some dark/contrast areas that are eye-catching.

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Oct 4 2013, 08:40 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Oct 4 2013, 09:21 PM
Post #58

Councilor
Group Icon

Glad you guys like the pics smile.gif

@Renee: I get what you mean though about the difference between pics and screenshots. Unfortunately I can't think of a good way to describe it either kvleft.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 5 2013, 02:23 AM
Post #59

Councilor
Group Icon

Well, glad that's settled. On the subject of pics, I posted a bad one up above just now, in the latest Kahreem story. All the faces are washed out, see? I would usually discard such a pic, but it helps portray the flow of the story (plus it looks kinda funny, especially since I caught Hlidara's text as she was speaking) so I'll keep it up.

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Oct 5 2013, 02:38 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Oct 6 2013, 12:00 AM
Post #60

Councilor
Group Icon

Well, there's not actually any spoilers in this update, but the long updates seem a little out of place in the "Today in Cyrodiil" thread, so I figure they're better off here. No pictures this time, but I'm happier with this update than the last.

Outside the Brina Cross Inn, The Gold Road, North of Anvil

The rain slashes down, a storm that has raged since the early hours of the morning. There is no thunder, but the hammering of rain on the window has awakened Arravyne, who dons his Mages robe and hood before venturing out into the storm. It's foul weather, but he needs to get to Kvatch, there's likely a branch of the Mages guild there. He spends a few moments gazing wistfully at the magnificent black steed across the yard, sheltered from the rain, and shakes his head sadly. Though Arravyne would love to take such a fine horse with him, everything from the saddlebags to the reins carries the mark of the Black Horse Courier, as does the horse itself. If he's seen riding it he would probably be arrested for theft, maybe even accused of killing it's late rider. Reluctantly he leaves the Inn, following the Gold Road towards the next city.

Arravyne looks around constantly as he walks, leaving the road to climb hills to gain a better view of his surroundings. He's looking for signs of Ayleid architecture, he's read about the Ayleid wells, and having expended the majority of his magickal energies the previous day feels their absence acutely, like a part of him is missing. He's also looking for wayshrines. Since the collapse of the Tribunal many have turned to the Nine, just as others have turned to the Daedra Lords. Arravyne worships neither, though acknowledge the existence of both groups. Fortunately both the Nine and the Daedra Lords consider this to be enough, so wayshrines will still grant him the blessings of the Nine, and the Daedar Lords will still offer tasks for certain favours. After a short while he finds what he seeks, and makes for it single mindedly. Just as he reaches it an arrow plunges into his arm.

He looks around for signs of his attacker, but his view is obscured by the thick plantlife around, and two more arrows narrowly miss him before he finds his assailant, a lightly armoured Bosmer with a bow. The Ayleid well forgotten for the moment, Arravyne calls forth a weak shield spell, before rushing at the archer, expending his remaining magicka on a trio of touch based spells that heal him even as they harm the foe. His enemy defeated and his wound healed, Arravyne takes a moment to memorise the sounds that emanate from the well, hoping it might help him find others in the future. He does not listen for long, feeling the near total absence of magicka weighing terribly upon him, and reaches into the sparkling blue mist, revelling in the feeling of the energies coursing through him once more. Gorged on magicka he makes his way back to the road, a little unsteady as he continues on his way. Before long he finds a wayshrine to Zenithar, and burns through his magicka practising a basic healing spell before asking Zenithar for his blessing, revitalizing him once more. He finds little to trouble him before reaching Kvatch, only a wolf that he dealt with by summoning a skeleton. At Kvatch, however, he found something that astonished him.

As he climbed the road to the city, an Altmer ran towards him, his clothes charred and his face twisted with terror. Something had attacked Kvatch, the Altmer claimed, daedra had flooded the city from portals and some monstrosity had led them.* Arravyne thought him crazed with terror, and dismissed his ramblings, only to hear similar tales from those people he found further up the road, living in tents, the sky above still lit by the glow of the burning city. He continued up the road as it wound towards the city, the sky grower darker as he climbed higher, the red glow strengthening to a crimson glare as he reaced the plateau on which the city was built. What he saw there beggared belief. Twisted stone that had no place being there stretched from the ground, wrought into ugly, impossible formations. Wooden barricades, their crudeness speaking of the haste with which they had been thrown together, and a handful of men clad in chainmail with white coats made grey by ash and soot. And behind them, and before the city gates, something which had no right existing at all. A gaping wound torn in the air, radiating fell power and vomiting daedra onto Nirn. The fighters rushed the scamps that were spat into existence, dispatching them with the weary ease of men who have far too much practice of late. As their apparent leader caught sight of Arravyne, he shouted at him to stay back, but Arravyne ignored him, moving for a closer look at the fiery portal.

He got too close to it, and was yanked off his feet as it dragged him in, hurling him into a dry, dead land, the air choked with soot and the stench of death, the sky lit by the same hellish glow he had thought to be from the burning city. Below he saw another figure in the livery of Kvatch, as he assumed it to be, and moved to help him, and to see a little more of this place. The guardsman dispatched a trio of scamps, aided by a skeleton Arravyne summoned, before fleeing back thorugh the gate. With is magickal energies once more depleted, Arravyne followed. He decided he could do nothing about the portal, not even understand it, but would inform the Mages guildhall in the next city, in the hope that someone from the Arcane University might be sent to deal with it. As he walked he was harvesting any plants he recognised, so far mostly aloe vera, but once he started seeing flax flowers growing along the road he collected seeds from every one he could find, along with peonies and nigtshade plants. Three times he had to fight off bandits, the worst of the fights forcing him to fight a pair of Khajiit with nothing but a club and a novices shield spell. He spent the night in a tent in one of their camps.

The next morning he continued on his way towards the next city, Skingrad he thought, but wasn't certain. Shortly after the city came into sight, or at least the towers of it did, a sight even more welcome greeted Arravyne, another Ayleid well. Arravyne rushed over to it, his hands trembling in anticipation of the return of magicka, and this time he didn't spend time listening to it, desperately plunging his hands into the mist, biting back a moan as the energy filled him once more. He made his way to the city in something of a daze, taking a few moments to collect himself before entering the city.

*I've often wondered about this, when Hirtel says "There was a huge creature... something out of a nightmare... came right over the walls... blasting fire." You can see in front of the city what looks to be the wreckage of a great gate, but the description given doesn't fit with the siege engine used to attack Bruma later in the MQ. So what was it that attacked Kvatch?

--------------------
+Quote Post

120 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:24 PM