Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Accounts of Rayden
redsrock
post Dec 18 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #21

Knower
Group Icon

CHAPTER SIX

I was about open the gates and enter the city, but before I could do so Martin whispered my name loudly, just enough where I alone could here him.

“Wait, Rayden, feel the back of your robe.”

I swung my right arm around and felt the back of my crimson red gown, and my fingers found there way into a hole and a sticky substance: blood.

How could I have been so stupid? I had killed this robe’s owner with my bow, a shot straight into back causing the obvious tear in the robe, plus the blood that had been spilled as well. I didn’t know what I was going to do now. Obviously I couldn’t just walk into the city like this.

“What now, Martin? I can’t go in there like this!”

“I know, I know. I can’t believe I almost let you walk in like that. What about the Altmer, you know the one whose throat you cut open? What about his robe?”

I looked at Martin his sense of both frustration and stupidity.

“Martin…I slit his throat. Do you really think there’s no blood still pouring from his wound?”

“Yes, that wasn’t a very intelligent question. Umm…well, I’m clean out of ideas. I suppose we could wait until someone else comes out. Then perhaps you can strangle them and then take their robe.”

“Enough with all this killing, Martin. While I don’t mind it a bit, sooner or later I’ll go up against someone that I cannot take. I’m just going to enter the city with what I have on.”

Martin didn’t seem to like that decision. “Are you crazy? You wouldn’t last five minutes in there! Surely you’ll be caught!”

“Well, what else am I supposed to do? I can’t just sit here forever and ponder ideas on how to get a stupid robe. Don’t worry about me; I’m a professional at this kind of stuff.”

“I realize that, Rayden, but how in the world do you expect to get in there unnoticed?”

“I’m still working on that at the moment. Wait…..the Waterfront District! I can get in through there! I cannot believe how stupid I am acting today! Why didn’t we think of this before?”

“To be honest with you, I’ve never been to that part of the city. Isn’t that where the beggars live, or used to live I should say.”

“Yes, it’s where the panhandlers seek out there money. They really aren’t as dangerous as some claim. There’s only a handful that can get aggressive. The others are actually good people who got into some trouble.”

“Seems like you’ve made some friends over there,” Martin replied.

“No, definitely not. I don’t get into friendships. It’s bad for business.”

“What about me?”

“Who said I was your friend?” I said playfully.

So we walked around towards the east, along the walls until we reached the waterfront district. We were standing at the top of a small hill, overlooking the entrance into the Temple District. While perched upon the hill, we spotted many Dawn patrols of course. They were walking about in groups no less than three and seemingly no more than about five or six. I looked up at the lighthouse and I could see a glare. It was likely they had some men up there, and the glare was probably coming from a staff or something. Also I could see movement as well.

“Hey, Martin, look up there,” I whispered while pointing towards the building. “They’ve likely got a unit up there as well. Stay out of the light at all costs.”

“What do you mean? There aren’t any lights around us!”

“I know. I’m just talking for future references.”

“You don’t have to worry about that. I don’t plan on moving from this spot. I’ll be waiting for you here.”

I nodded and was about to carefully climb down the hill and finally enter the city, then something amazing, and lucky, happened. A lone cultist had left his group and was walking towards Martin and I, from our left. I had at last found my disguise. I grinned at Martin and then waited for the Dawn member to come past. I was crouched behind a stone, eagerly waiting for my chance to strike. I would let him pass by, and then I clamped by hand on his mouth, silencing him. Then I would strangle him, or maybe her, I’m not sure just yet.

Martin gave me the signal when the figure was closing in, and I quietly stood up, ready to pounce. When the hooded figure walked by I quickly jumped out from my hiding spot and grabbed body. I was able to subdue the cultist in a matter of seconds, and then I looked at their face. It was an Imperial male, and his face was that of a look of complete surprise. Thankfully he was not carrying a source of light, and I was able to do my work in the dark. So I dressed out of my bloody robes in exchange for some cleaner ones. I waved my final goodbye to Martin and at last I was able to enter the city.

When I stepped inside the first thing I spotted were the rather large statues. And in the middle of the Arboretum was the statue of Tiber Septim himself. Truly a master of an artist created these, but I had not the time to gaze, I had a mission to fulfill. I crept along the streets, trying to avoid all the other patrols that were walking around the park. I had feared that I would be stopped by someone, but as of yet I had avoided that. I hoped my success would continue, but it appeared that I had spoken a little bit too soon.

“Hey, you there, where do you think you’re going?”

A rather tall Altmer came walking towards me. I was stunned with fear, not only because I had been spotted, but rather who had spotted me: Mankar Cameron himself.

“Judo…is that you?”

I nodded eagerly, hoping that would be enough.

“Why aren’t you with your unit outside?”

I shrugged my shoulders and grumbled a low “I’m sick. I was told to settle in for the night so that I may be healthy for tomorrow.”

“Well you certainly sound sick. You look rather pale as well and your voice is very croaky. Let me see your face.”

I covered my face with my hood even more than I already was. I was too afraid my true identity might be discovered.

“Please, master, I do not wish for you to catch my sickness. I fear it may be contagious.”

“Yes, Judo, you are probably right. By the fires of Oblivion, I sure don’t want to be sick when tomorrow comes. Get some sleep, tomorrow will be a fun day,” he laughed, and then walked off towards the Waterfront.

Why he was coming from the palace and to the Waterfront I have no idea, but I was about to find out.

I followed him outside and as I did I stayed in the shadows. I didn’t want anyone to see me now that I was following the leader of their cult. Obviously that would be suspicious. We walked all the way to the lighthouse where I had seen the glare from the top before. Mankar entered the structure and closed the door shut. Very carefully and extremely quietly I entered and continued to follow him.

Inside we walked up a flight of stairs, and then Mankar exited through a door at the top. I knew then that he was going to meet with whoever it was outside. Instead of following him I put my right ear up against the keyhole and listened to their conversation:

“Good evening, Mankar.”

“Let’s end with the greetings and get down to business. Are the plans in order?”

“Yes, the table set for your forthcoming, tomorrow night. I assure you all is ready.” The man talking to Mankar sounded as if he were an Imperial, possibly in his mid-forties. “I also want to thank you again for accepting me into your extraordinary group. You made a wise decision in making me your right hand man.”

“You are not my right hand man; you are my puppet and nothing else. You will abide by what I tell you, but I swear, if you double-cross me it’ll be the last thing you ever do,” Mankar said sternly.

“I’m sure you will. I have no intentions of betraying you. What benefits would I receive with such an act? Did I not display my allegiance during the sack of this very city, my liege?”

“Yes, I am thankful for that, you did I splendid job in letting my men in. I have to admit, if it wasn’t for your acts I would have lost hundreds of more men than I did. But let’s not forget what you were before I allowed you to become my…servant.”

A silence fell for about five seconds, and then Mankar spoke again. “Let us leave now and make preparations for tomorrow’s siege. But first I must take care of our visitor.”

All of a sudden I heard a deafening blast outside and suddenly the door busted through, slamming me hard in the face. I rolled down the stairs until I at last laid rest on the cold stone floor. My eyesight was extremely blurry and blood was dripping down my face, but I could just barely make out two figures walking down the stairs. I could tell one of them was Mankar, but I didn’t recognize the other at first, that is until Mankar called him by name.

“What shall we do now, master?” Mankar’s companion asked.

Everything then started getting even more blurry and in a matter of seconds I couldn’t see anything. I think I must have passed out shortly after that, because the last thing I remembered was Mankar saying:

“Throw him in the dungeon, Hieronymus. I’ll talk with him shortly.”

--------------------
*Hey everyone, TES Fiction is looking to revamp its very talented group of writers. So, if you love to write (TES or non-TES), come on over! Whether its stories, poems, song lyrics, etc, it doesn't matter!*
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Dec 19 2007, 06:39 PM
Post #22

Knower
Group Icon

An interesting story so far, with more than a shake of creativity. I"ll try to keep an eye on this one.
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Dec 19 2007, 08:28 PM
Post #23

Master
Group Icon

It's nice to see you did something with the robes.

And I guess Rayden has met his match here. Mankar sure manages to keep up the 'bad guy' attitude. I like him, a lot.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Dec 19 2007, 10:43 PM
Post #24

Master
Group Icon

This was a cool update, but I just have one teeny constructive criticism:

How does Rayden know what Mankar looks like? They haven't crossed path yet, and I'm pretty sure Rayden hasn't seem him before, so the immediate assumption that a robed Altmer is the leader of the Mythic Dawn is a bit far-fetched.

Now, if he was an elaborately dressed Altmer with a sense of power exuding from him, that might suggest that Rayden would think this is a person that is higher up in the cult. It would then make sense to follow him and then find out through the conversation with Lex that he's actually Mankar.

That was the only thing. Other than that, I was happy to see the robe situation solved (though Rayden could've said he'd gotten into a fight to explain the blood) and now he's in trouble. It should prove to be interesting how things unfold from here...

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Dec 20 2007, 12:45 AM
Post #25

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(The Metal Mallet @ Dec 19 2007, 10:43 PM) *

This was a cool update, but I just have one teeny constructive criticism:

How does Rayden know what Mankar looks like? They haven't crossed path yet, and I'm pretty sure Rayden hasn't seem him before, so the immediate assumption that a robed Altmer is the leader of the Mythic Dawn is a bit far-fetched.

Now, if he was an elaborately dressed Altmer with a sense of power exuding from him, that might suggest that Rayden would think this is a person that is higher up in the cult. It would then make sense to follow him and then find out through the conversation with Lex that he's actually Mankar.

That was the only thing. Other than that, I was happy to see the robe situation solved (though Rayden could've said he'd gotten into a fight to explain the blood) and now he's in trouble. It should prove to be interesting how things unfold from here...

Ya, I suppose the Mankar thing could have been done better, sorry for that.

--------------------
*Hey everyone, TES Fiction is looking to revamp its very talented group of writers. So, if you love to write (TES or non-TES), come on over! Whether its stories, poems, song lyrics, etc, it doesn't matter!*
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Dec 20 2007, 03:52 AM
Post #26

Knower
Group Icon

CHAPTER SEVEN

“Ay, you gotta nasty bruise there, lad.”

Slowly my eyesight came back and I was face to face with an enormous Nord. His wild and untamed beard went from his upper lip all the way down his gigantic chin about two feet. He was kneeling down, apparently examining a cut I had sustained. When he stood straight up his body rose high over mine; he was likely at least seven feet tall. If he was drunk, like Nords tended to be, and fell on top of me I would die instantly. He certainly was a sight to behold.

“Well aren’t you gonna say somethin’”?

What did he expect? I had finally woken from passing out. I didn’t know where I was, or how long I had been out of it. The last thing I wanted to do at that moment was talk, but I suppose I didn’t have much of a choice; he was going to keep at it until I said at least a little something.

“Where am I?” I managed the mumble the words and at the sound of my voice the Nord’s eyes lit up as bright as the midnight stars.

“Why lad, you’re in the Imperial City prisons!”

I looked around and sure enough I was surrounded by hard stone walls, and on one side a set of iron bars. That’s when I remembered Mankar telling someone to throw me in the dungeon. But who was he talking to? Then I also remembered Mankar call his companion Hieronymus. He couldn’t have been talking to the Imperial Legion captain, could he?

“Who brought me in here?” I asked the Nord.

“Hieronymus Lex; that cowardly traitor!”

I still didn’t believe it could have been him. “Are you certain it was him? Why would he be on the Mythic Dawn’s side?”

“Dunno, lad, but I heard somethin’ from another inmate about how he was about to be killed by Mankar himself, and Lex then pledged his worthless life to Mankar’s cause. That’s all I know, nothin’ else.”

Well that was certainly some bad news. Why in the world would Lex stoop to such a low level? How could he betray his friends and fellow countrymen?

“Oh, sorry for not introducin’ m’self. The name’s Alfhedil, but you can call me Alf.”

I wasn’t too sure about this Nord, but he did seem friendly enough. I don’t think he’s insane or anything like that, perhaps a little…different.

“And what’s yer name, wood elf?”

I wasn’t one to give my name out to random people I don’t even know, but this Nord was harmless, I could just tell. To tell you truth I wasn’t too sure he was smart enough to remember my name anyway. Besides, perhaps he knew of a way to get out of this retched cell.

“My name is Rayden. How long have I been here…Alf?”

“The coward threw you in here about an hour or so ago. Yer head hit the floor rather hard and that’s where you got yer cut.”

I felt my forehead and sure enough there was an enormous gash, about six inches long and still a bit bloody, but not too much.

“Don’t worry about the bleedin’, it stopped about fifteen minutes ago. I made sure to hold that there cloth tightly in place,” he said while pointing to a bloody rag to my left.

“Thanks. Umm…were you one of the original citizens here when the Dawn first attacked?”

“Ya, I was arguin’ with some baker over a stolen muffin when the attack came. They were fast as lightenin’ I tell ya. It was over in now time; the Legion didn’t stand a chance,” he said with the usual Nord accent.

“Do you know how many people they have captured?”

“Not many; I’d say no more than twenty or so, mostly soldiers. They killed most of the civilians, except fer the ones who they think can fight. They’re tryin’ to get me and the like to fight fer em’. Aint’ gonna happen though. I aint no coward,” he said proudly with his big arms crossed.

He was certainly loyal to the country, but of course none of that was any use to him now. Surely in time Mankar will have him killed, along with everyone else. But I didn’t plan on being one of those unfortunates.

“There’s got to be a way out of here somewhere,” I thought aloud as I felt my hand along the walls, hoping to find something leading to a trap door.

“Your wastin’ yer time, woody. I look m’self, there’s nothin’ that’ll help ya’.”

Woody? I was starting to get annoyed now. The Nord was probably too stupid to even know what to look for. This was my profession, I’m pretty sure I know a little more than him.

“Ya better stop, woody, I can hear someone comin’ down the stairs.”

I immediately stopped what I was doing and turned around. Sure enough, a figure was descending down the stairs, accompanied by three others. It was Mankar and two Dawn cultists. Then, behind them, was Lex carrying the lone torch. They walked up to the barred door and Mankar then spoke.

“So, you thought you could fool me, Bosmer?”

I said nothing, and instead waited for Mankar to continue.

“I’ll admit to you, when I first saw you I actually thought you were Judo. But then when you spoke you gave it all away I’m afraid. I could easily tell you were faking it, yet I did not stop you, did I? I simply wanted to see if you were foolish enough to follow me, and I guess were,” he laughed. “Now tell me, why have you infiltrated my city, Bosmer?”

‘Your City?’ I thought to myself. This wasn’t his city and it never would be. Anger was definitely bubbling up inside of me, but I couldn’t let that distract my focus. I couldn’t show any anger, which would only be a sign of weakness.

“So you’re not going to speak, heh? That’s perfectly fine with me. I think I’ll let you rot in the dungeon for a couple of days. Maybe then you’ll change your mind.”

The four of them walked away and Alf and I were left alone once more.

“If ya’ ask me, that there was kinda pointless, don’t ya think, Woody?”

“He was trying to get put fear into me, Alf, possible embarrass me. Too bad I’m smarter than that.” In truth, I was lucky Mankar didn’t know the real reason why I was here.

Once Mankar and his cronies were out of sight I continued my search for a trap door. I could hear Alf sigh and sit down on a stool, likely out of frustration. He was so bent on believing there wasn’t anything to find in the walls, but I wasn’t going to give up until I was one hundred percent sure there was nothing to find. I searched on for another five minutes or so, when finally I gave up. Maybe Alf was right.

“I tried tellin’ ya’, Woody,” he announced.

I gave him a grim stare and sat down on the other stool that was in the cell. I started thinking on another way to escape, and that’s when I eyed a knife lying on the table next to me. I picked the blunt blade up and held it close to my face. It wasn’t too sharp, but perhaps just enough for me to unlock the barred doors.

I got up with the knife in hand and walked over to the cage. Alf was now looking at me with great interest. I took the knife and shoved it hard into the key hole. It was kind of hard because of course the lock was located on the outside, and I could not see it with my own eyes. I went on for about ten minutes, poking around with the knife, when finally I heard a faint click, and then the cage creaked open. Alf suddenly stood up and started yelling like an idiot.

“Woody, ya’ actually did it! I…”

I hushed the dumb oaf the raise of my finger to my mouth. I didn’t plan on getting caught just minutes after escaping. I walked out and started up the steps when I heard Alf whisper from behind.

“Pss, Woody, what about me, lad?”

I sighed heavily because I knew I was stuck. He wanted to come with me, but how was he going to do that with his humongous size? There was no way he’d be able to get out unnoticed.

“You can’t come with me. You’re just too big. I have to get of here without being captured again. I can’t explain it to you, but let’s just say I hold the key to Cyrodiil’s fate.”

I was hoping that would shut him up, but of course it didn’t. Like many other Nords, Alf was ignorant.

“Let me pave the way fer ya’,” he said with a huge smile. “I’ll cause a disturbance while you get away. I think I can handle them fer a few minutes while you take yer leave.”

I wanted to argue some more, because at first I didn’t even want to consider the idea. But, when I thought about it, it wasn’t that bad of an idea after all. The big Nord would definitely cause a stir, that much was for sure, and if all went well I would be able to escape freely. If I can remember right, outside there’s a gate, and beyond that is open land. I’d be able to get away in a matter of seconds.

“Are you sure you want to do that? Why would you want to help me? You don’t even know me?”

“I don’t know. I figure one of us should be able to get away. And like you said, I’m too big to get away unnoticed.”

And that was that. I had made a decision.

“Thanks, Alf. I appreciate it.”

“No problem, Woody,” he winked.

I turned around and started quietly up the stairs, with Alf carefully lumbering behind…

--------------------
+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Dec 20 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #27

Knower
Group Icon

An amusing interplay between Rayden and the Nord. There were times when I felt you were trying the convince us the Nord wasn't very smart, but in the end he clearly shows he's capable of using his head. I guess one should never make assumptions, even about 7-ft Nords.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 20 2007, 10:21 PM
Post #28

Agent

I enjoyed this chapter very much for some reason. Even though not much happened, it still was a nice read!
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Dec 21 2007, 04:11 AM
Post #29

Knower
Group Icon

Thanks you two! I'll be starting on the next chapter sometime tomorrow.

--------------------
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Dec 21 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #30

Master
Group Icon

As has been said, enjoyable. I like Alf a lot. It's too bad he's apparently got this heroic sacrifice thing stuck in his blood.

--------------------
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Dec 23 2007, 08:06 PM
Post #31

Knower
Group Icon

CHAPTER EIGHT

At the top of stairs sat a lone cultist, half asleep at his desk. I could scarcely see a steel mace at his side, and I thought perhaps Alf could use it, even though it would be like a mere dagger for his massive hands.

“Hey, Alf, you see that guard? I’ll take him out so that you can use his mace. Is that alright with you?” I said softly.

“Yes, that’s okay, Woody, but am I gonna get my share of the killin’ soon?” he whispered back.

“Yes, as soon as we get outside you can have all the fun.”

He smiled with great happiness. I turned around, still with the knife in hand. Suddenly I got up and ran as fast as I could towards the cultist, who was an Imperial. His face lit up with surprise but it was too late for him to call for help. I dove and tackled him to the ground, and then shoved the knife through his throat. The blade was very blunt and I had to use a lot of force to dig in deep, but alas in a matter of minutes the man was dead and we were for now safe.

“Wow, woody, I didn’t know ya’ had it in ya’,” Alf said while I pulled the knife from the robed man’s neck.

“Well, Alf, there’s probably a lot of things about me that would surprise you.”

“Alright, then you can tell me about em’ after we escape.”

After he said that I couldn’t look him in the eyes. Instead, I kept my back to him while I thought about what he said. Did he really think there was anyway he’d survive out there? Sure, he’d probably last a couple minutes, maybe, but then the spells would be flying from all directions. I was now feeling kind of bad about myself. Maybe the Nord really did think he stood a chance.

“Alf, you do realize you’re probably not going to last long out there, don’t you?”

I said this to him while looking at his face. He didn’t seem surprised by my question at all.

“What’s wrong, Woody, you take me for a brute or somethin? You think I’m all brawn and no brains?” Well I’ll tell ya’ lad, I’m pretty nifty when it comes to magic. Yer not givin’ me credit and ya’ haven’t even seen me in action yet!” he said with a laugh.

He certainly was confident, but I still wasn’t sure if this was a good idea. All my life I haven’t cared way or another about anyone besides my self. But now, thinking about what will most likely happen to Alf, I’m having second thoughts about if I should be going through with this plan. It’s weird; I sure hope I’m not going soft.

“Are you sure you want to do this, Alf? I don’t want you going out there if you don’t really want to?”

“What’s gotten in to ya’ lad? Are ya’s scared or somethin?”

“No, I’m certainly not scared, but I don’t want to send you to your death. I mean, you don’t even know me but yet you’re willing to put your life on the line just so I can escape.”

“It might sound dumb to ya, lad, but I believe ya’ when ya’ said you were the Empire’s last hope. I know that I don’t know ya’ very well, but I can tell in yer eyes ye aint lyin; and that’s good enough fer me.”

“Very well. I thank you for your surprising allegiance. It’s too bad there aren’t others like you out there. Cowards like Lex could do wonders by imitating you.”

“Well lad, my mum always taught me well as a child.”

After the discussion ended I carefully cracked the door open and peered outside. To my pleasant surprise there really weren’t that many patrols walking around, about eight in all. Perhaps most of them had gone to bed, thinking nothing could happen this late at night. Boy, were they in for a surprise. I then closed the door and turned back to Alf.

“There are only eight of them out there so it shouldn’t be too dangerous. While you attack them I’ll slip through the gates and if I remember correctly there should be a bridge. Hopefully there will be rocks that I can use to descend to the ground.”

“And if there aint any rocks?” Alf asked.

“Then I’ll just cut through the city itself.”

‘That’ll be dangerous, Woody…”

“I know, but I’ll do whatever it takes to get out of here.”

“Alrighty then, Woody, let’s do this!”

I opened the door once more and Alf told me to stand aside. Instead of foolishly arguing with the giant Nord I let him pass. He ran out the door straight towards a group of three cultists. They saw him coming when he was already a few feet away, for they were not far from the door to begin with.

Alf took his mace and swung mightily at a Dunmer. The blunt hit him in the face with so much force that the mace actually stuck as the dark elf flew back a few yards. The other two cultists of the group stood there, frozen in place. The fear had apparently disabled them from moving and Alf, with no weapons in hand, grabbed the two by the head and then crushed their skulls into one another.

Obviously this prompted three other cultists in the area to become aware of the situation, and soon spells were firing in all directions. Three Dawn members were in front of him, and the other two were behind him, coming up from the rear. At that moment I learned that Alf wasn’t kidding about his magical abilities. I stood there at the door entrance, amazed by Alf’s ability to block the oncoming spells and then quickly cast his own. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted the other two cultists creeping up from behind Alf, in an attempt to catch him by surprise. I knew the original plan was for me to escape while Alf kept the others busy, but I just couldn’t leave him. Okay, I’ll admit maybe I am becoming a bit soft, but at the same time Martin and I could definitely use someone as talented as Alf.

I quickly ran out the door and sprinted towards the two behind Alf. It was a good thing I was a fast runner because I got to them before they even had a chance to see me. I got to the first one, a Breton I think, and stuck my knife into his back, while holding a hand to his mouth so that he could not alert his partner. I dug deeper and deeper until the merman was at last dead, and by this time his Imperial buddy knew finally noticed I was there.

The Imperial fired a spell at me and I let the now dead body drop in front of my while I rolled to the right. The spell hit the dead Breton, sending him flying back. While on the ground the Imperial attempted another spell, but with a quick move a rolled this time to my left and avoided the blast. I got up as fast as I could and ran towards the man. I was about ten feet away and he fired once again yet another spell in my direction. At this time I ducked and the spell flew over my back just inches away from my skin. I could actually feel the heat from the fiery blast. Then I tackled the Imperial to the ground and began pounding his face in with my fists. I must’ve hit the man at least twenty times before I was lifted from the ground by my shirt collar. I swung my arms wildly trying to get my attacker off of me, but then I was turned around there was Alf, laughing loudly in my face.

“Ha, ha, ha! What are ye doing, Woody, dancing? Don’t worry bout’ that there Imperial. He’s dead silly!”

I looked at the Imperial and it was very difficult to make out his facial features from all the blood that had splattered all over his face. I guess I was too angry to know that the man was long gone. It was weird, the rage I had felt was nothing like I had ever experienced before. Right then I felt a sharp pain in my right hand. I looked at it, with all of the blood of course, and noticed that my middle finger knuckle looked very deformed.

“Well, well, Woody, will ya’ look at that! You broke your hand!”

“No, it’s only my middle knuckle. I must have cracked a bone or something. Now, umm, could you please put me down?”

The tree of a Nord sat me down on the grass and I attempted to put the knuckle back in place, but with no success. Then Alf tried to get involved.

“Here, lemme try, Woody…”

“NO! Get away! I’m not letting you crush my whole hand!”

“whatever ya’ say, lad. But I’m tellin’ ya’, the longer ye wait the worse it’s gonna get.”

“I know, I know. Don’t worry; we’ll soon meet up with someone who could heal me. Now, let’s get out of here before anyone else shows up.”

“You mean I can come with you?”

“Yes, Alf, I need you actually. Your talents would pay dividends for me Martin, my…umm…partner I guess you could call him.”

Alf then gave me a nasty look. “Woody, don’t tell me yer one of them kind…”

“No, no, no! Not that kind of partner you fool! He’s the one helping me!”

“Oh. Phew…fer a second there ya’ had me scared, Woody!”

“Well, let’s just get out of here so I can tell you all the specifics about what I’m trying to accomplish. I’ll go ahead and tell you know that I failed in coming to this city. I was supposed to find out some information, but I’ll have to tell you later. Let’s go!”

As we were about to exit the prison area, cultists started pouring out from inside the numerous rooms, including the armory. They saw and immediately began casting spells in our direction. Alf and I opened the large gates and made it out, all the while with spells bouncing off the walls, just inches from us. We closed the doors once we were on the other side, and that’s when a decision had to be made. I looked over the side of the bridge we were on, and I noticed a set of rocks were set perfectly for Alf and I to climb down. I couldn’t believe how lucky we were to have found these “step”, but I didn’t the time to stand and gawk.

“Alf, climb over the edge and onto those rocks.”

He did what I told him and then I followed right behind. Just moment after we were both out of sight, the gates to the prison area opened and many cultists made their way onto the bridge, oblivious to the fact that Ald and I were a mere few feet from them.

“Hurry, they must have fallen back to the Temple District,” I heard a Dunmer yell.

Alf and I waited for them to leave, and then we continued down the rocks until were flat on our feet, on the floor below the bridge. After catching a breath for a few minutes we marched around the city walls until we were close to the Waterfront. I took Alf to the shores near the sea, where I instructed him to wait behind a large boulder until I returned. Then, as I was about to leave and find Martin, I heard his voice coming from the left.

“Rayden, where have you been? And what did you do in there? The place is crawling with cultists!”

He looked down at me, and then up at Alf, who was smiling goofily.

“And who in Talos’ name is this?” He said pointing at Alf.

“This is Alf, Martin. If it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t have escaped from prison.”

“Prison? You mean you were caught?”

“Yes, but now is not the time to talk. Let us leave and I shall explain everything on the way to the priory.”

Martin looked agitated, but obviously we needed to leave before we were spotted.

“Fine, let’s just get out of here. And I’ll heal that injury of yours once we get out of sight,” Martin said pointing at my right hand as we made our way west…

--------------------
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Dec 23 2007, 09:33 PM
Post #32

Master
Group Icon

Alf turned out to be a lot better than he appeared to be at first, didn't he? Hmm, I wonder if he's a battlemage. Spells and brute strength? Sounds a lot like it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Dec 23 2007, 09:45 PM
Post #33

Master
Group Icon

I've definitely been enjoying Alf's characterization. It's nice to see such a conflicting persona. Hopefully he further proves to be an asset to Rayden and Martin. Keep up the good work.

--------------------

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Dec 26 2007, 04:42 AM
Post #34

Knower
Group Icon

CHAPTER NINE

The torches could be seen behind us as we kept on towards Weynon Priory. The Imperial City was now on full alert, with everyone scrambling to find the three of us, but of course that wasn’t going to happen. Now that I think about it, Mankar probably knows that I am more than just a petty thief. That has to be the case. Why else would he have the whole city on lockdown? He certainly wouldn’t have done that for low-life peasants.

And then there was Alf. What were we going to do with him? He was obviously large and sort of got in the way in terms of sneaking around, but how could I abandon him when he just saved my neck? That and from what I saw in the prison yards, there was no way I could leave him behind us. His talents were far higher than I ever would have given him credit for. There has to be something he can help us with, I just don’t know what that is yet.

“So let me get this straight,” said Martin with a sigh. “You almost got your killed in there and you didn’t even get the information you were trying to find in the first place? What was the point of that, Rayden? Now we nothing, just like before…”

Martin didn’t understand. All he did was sit outside and wait, like a coward if you ask me. He wasn’t the one who risked his own life; to almost be fried by a spell from one of those cultists. What did he know about bravery?

“How can you talk when all you did was hide behind a rock the entire time? I’m the one who did all doing…”

“Did all the doing? That’s some excellent use of grammar, Rayden, seriously. Let’s stop arguing, it’s not going to do us any good; we still don’t know Mankar’s plans.”

We stopped talking for a few seconds, and that’s when Alf finally chimed in with some heartwarming news.

“Is that what y’all arguin ‘bout? Well, lads, I know what he’s plannin’ fer our dear country. I heard it with me own ears just the other night.”

I looked at Martin and then at Alf with disbelief. Why in the world didn’t he say anything earlier?

“And why are you just now telling me this, Alf?” I asked him.

“Cause I didn’t know that’s what ye wanted, Woody.”

I simply sighed and shook my head. “Will you tell me now please?” I asked impatiently.

“Well it’s quite simple, Woody. He wants that there amulet,” Alf said while pointing at the amulet Martin was holding.

“But what for?” I asked.

“I heard Mankar talkin’ to one of his servants or whatever. He said somethin’ about destroyin’ the dragonfires and becoming the ruler of Cyrodiil. I don’t know…it was all confusin’ to me really.”

I looked at Martin and I could tell he was thinking the same thing. Why would he want the amulet when he knew he couldn’t wear it? He wasn’t part of the Septim bloodline.

“Alf, did he say anything about destroying the amulet?” said Martin.

“Ya, he said somethin’ ‘bout there being one last heir to the throne. Hey, come to think of it, he said his name was Martin. That’s yer name isn’t it?”

Martin put his hands in his face. Alf was already getting on his nerves.

“Yes, I am Martin Septim, son of Uriel Septim. I am the last heir, just as you have already said. It’s all clear now. He wants me dead and the Amulet of Kings destroyed. Then he will have no threats and the country will be his for the taking. As long as I am alive, and the amulet is still intact, he will not be able to take full control of the country. Did he say he knew my location?”

“Ya, he said somethin’ about attacking some city as well. Kvatch I think.”

At that moment Martin and I both looked at each other in disbelief. He was going to attack Kvatch tomorrow evening. Now I know what Mankar was talking about when he told Lex to get ready for a siege.

“We’ve got to get to Kvatch and warn Adamus Phillida and the Count of Mankar’s plans,” Martin yelled.

“But he won’t believe us, Martin. Why would he?” I said.

“It doesn’t matter, we’ll find out when we get there!”

Martin then took off running and Alf and I followed. We steadily jogged for nearly thirty minutes nonstop, which was alright with me, I could probably run for hours if I absolutely had to, but the strange thing was that Martin never broke stride, and perhaps even stranger is that Alf had so far kept up with Martin and I, and obviously the two of us were a bit more agile that the gigantic Nord. But it appeared I had spoken to soon, and Alf began complaining.

“Come on; give an old Nord a break will ya’?” Alf gasped.

Martin then stopped running and stood by a tree with his arms pressed against it while he caught his breath. I was merely a tad winded by the run, and I simply stood there, silently waiting for the other two.

“What are ye, Woody, some kind of freak?” Alf asked in amazement.

“No, just in good shape I guess.”

“Lad, that there’s more than just bein’ in good shape. Somethin’s wrong with ye…”

Another five minutes or so and we continued along, but at a walk rather than a run. We figured we were far enough to walk. After all, it was still late in the night, and surely Mankar and his troops would leave somewhere around ten o’clock in the morning.

“What do you plan on telling Adamus, Martin? I can’t even begin to imagine him taking us seriously. No offence or anything, but you probably aren’t the best of sources, given your past I mean.”

I was afraid Martin would take my words the wrong way, but it was only the truth, no matter how you looked at it. After what Martin said he did, I doubt many trust him now. I remembered how shocked the Dunmer lady in Kvatch was when I asked her of Martin’s location. She treated the subject as if he was some kind of disease or something.

“No, I understand, Rayden. You’re right, Adamus will probably not believe me, but that is a chance we’ll have to take.”

“And if that doesn’t work, I suppose we could just talk to the Count himself,” Alf offered, although Martin didn’t seem to agree with the statement.

“Sorry, Alf, but it won’t be that easy. The people…they don’t trust me, just as Rayden has already mentioned. The Count especially, he doesn’t much care for the mages as it is. After what happened with me and my friends, he pretty much despises anyone from the Mages Guild now.”

That got me thinking. What ever happened to the guilds? The Thieves Guild, the Fighters Guild, the Mages Guild, even that mercenary group called the Blackwood Company. Where were they in Cyrodiil’s time of need? We could certainly use their help now.

“Hey, what over happen to the guilds anyway?” I asked Martin.

“Well, the Mages Guild has pretty much set up base in Bruma. I don’t why, but they feel safest up there. Obviously with Mankar’s magic abilities, and rumored necromancy, the Mages Guild once him dead. But of course they are very undermanned, especially after most of their numbers were eliminated during the battle in the Imperial City. As far as the Fighters Guild goes, their leader died of natural causes and the group basically disbanded, oddly enough. I can’t think of the leaders name right now, sorry. And of course the Thieves Guild is a myth, although I certainly believe in them.”

“What about the Blackwood Company? You know…that group of mercenaries in Leyawiin?”

“Ah yes, I almost forgot about them. If I’m not mistaken they sided with Mankar before he even invaded Leyawiin. Now that I think about I believe it is they who let the Mythic Dawn into the city in the first place. I’m sure the fear led to them to betray the country. The last I heard they were going to serve as a special “hunter” organization for Mankar; hunting down whoever Mankar pleases and such…”

“So the Empire is on it’s own against Mankar?”

“That’s the way it looks I’m afraid. Surely the Council is doing something at the moment, but if you really think about it, there’s not much they can do. If I was to make a guess I’d say they’re most likely attempting to gain the allegiance of other countries, but what do I know…”

The situation wasn’t looking good for Cyrodiil or Martin in fact, but of course I wasn’t going to express my doubts. If what Martin was saying was true, then he was dead where he stood at this very moment. The Blackwood Company is a bunch of professional mercenaries. It was only a matter of time until they would finally catch up with Martin, and unfortunately I’ll probably be there when he’s found by them. And then a fight will ensue, and who knows, maybe I’ll die. Of course with Alf by our side we definitely stand a chance. Everything just looks so bad right now. The Empire is greatly outnumbered, with only four cities in their possession. I just can’t see how the Mythic Dawn won’t win this war, especially if they ally themselves with another group. I wouldn’t think another province would join their cause, but I guess I’ve seen stranger things.

We arrived in Kvatch just before the sun was about to come up, and the Legion soldiers were just now making their morning patrols around the surrounding area, searching for enemies. We walked inside the city, and just as I thought Alf attracted many stares. It was something I thought about while marching from the Imperial City. Maybe if we let the Nord talk to Adamus then he’d believe us, since he’s been a prisoner there. But then again letting Alf speak at all might not be the smartest decision. You never really can tell what’s going to come out of his mouth.

When asked where Adamus was, a lone Kvatch soldier replied, “The last time I saw him he was speaking with the Count,” which was perfect because now we could kill two birds with one stone. The two people we needed to meet with where at the same location, or so we hoped at least. It would certainly make things easer for us.

So we walked through the streets until we came upon the castle, where two Legion soldiers were standing guard, not moving in an inch when we asked to enter the citadel. “Unless you have an appointment you are not allowed to enter the castle. I am sorry but times are too dangerous for the Count to let just anyone inside his home,” replied one of the guards, at least with a tone of some compassion.

Then Alf commented, “Well isn’t this whole area his home?” Alf said, pointing to the entire city behind him. “And if that’s the case, he has already allowed us into his home, don’t ya’ agree? So why don’t ya’ jus let us in this particular home, since we’re already in “this” home,” Alf said, again pointing to the city behind us.

The guard was very confused with Alf’s statement, just as I was. Martin sighed and simply shook his head, and then offered a more intelligent comment. “Please, sir, it is very urgent. We have information on Mankar that the Count must hear at once.”

“Do you know how many times we’ve heard that before? More than enough, that’s how many. I’m sorry, but we just cannot let you enter. Now please, leave now before Commander Phillida comes out. He’s doesn’t take kindly to visitors.”

Rather than stand and argue the three of us walked over and sat on a stone ledge, just under the shade of a tall tree. Martin’s plan was to simply wait for either the Count or the Commander to leave the castle. Sooner or later one of them would show themselves, but unfortunately that time wouldn’t come as quick we had hoped it would.

We waited for nearly three hours under the shade of the tree, and for the most part it was spent in silence. Martin was seemingly doing his best to stay out of everyone’s sight, and Alf was having his self a noisy nap. I say noisy because his snoring was the loudest I have heard in my life, and I’ve crept into many a house in my time as a thief. But finally, just a few minutes before noon, Adamus Phillida appeared from the castle, with three soldiers by his side. I poked Alf as Martin got up to meet with Adamus. When he saw the three of us coming towards him I could tell he recognized me from earlier. And at that exact moment I also remembered the guard yelling at us when Martin and I had stolen those horses a couple days ago. I hope the guard didn’t give Adamus our description that night, it was awfully dark out then.

“Excuse me you three but I can’t talk right now,” Adamus said quickly, apparently already aware that we were about to ask him something.

“But sir, we need to speak with you and the Count immediately,” Martin said, which proved to be a terrible mistake.

“I’ve already heard about you from the Count, “brother” Martin. I don’t speak with the likes of you. Now, if you’ll excuse me,” Adamus said rather rudely. But Alf wasn’t going to let him pass so easily. He stepped in front of the Legion Commander, blocking both his way and the sunlight.

“We’ve marched all the way from the Imperial City and have waited here since eight o’clock. We have done nothing wrong and you will give us a few minutes to explain what we have to say,” he said angrily.

I had expected the Commander to show some shock and perhaps a little fear, given Alf’s enormous size, but alas the Legion officer was unfazed by Alf’s words.

“Do you think you strike fear in me just because you’re two feet taller than I am? Well let me tell you, I’ve fought beasts both taller and more fearsome than you could ever dream of. So the next time you want to act tough, save it for someone else.”

He stepped to the side and walked around Alf, who I thought was going to go after the officer. That is before I grabbed his arm and held him back. Although I don’t at all think it was my strength that held him back, only Alf’s own good judgment.

“What now?” I asked Martin as the three of us watched Adamus go on his daily route.

“How about you just do what you do best, Rayden?”

“Sorry, I’m not following you…”, I said confused as ever.

“Sneak into the castle.”

“And how in the world am I going to do that with those two guards over there?” I whispered, just low enough for only us three to hear.

“Alf and I will distract them. We’ll pretend to get in a tussle, and while the guards come to break us up, you can make your way into the castle. When the guards inside see you walk in they’ll have to just assume you were let in. Find Count Goldwine and inform him of what is happening. If he doesn’t at first believe you then keep on at it. Sooner or later he’ll have to at least think about it.”

“Or throw me in jail…”

“Just do it Rayden. Let’s go, Alf.”

“Wait, Martin. What if you two are thrown in jail? What then?” Of course Martin paid no attention to my questions and suddenly he and Alf were “arguing” with one another, on the other side of the castle. When Alf picked up Martin by the shirt collar the two guards ran over to “cool them down” and I took my chances and bolted for the door. Luckily I think everyone was focusing on the entire ruckus, and I was able to safely make my way into the castle. I closed the door shut and turned around. The count was sitting on his throne, staring me down with his two eyes. I could tell I was sweating, probably shaking. I was actually nervous, something I’m not exactly accustomed to. Before anyone could stop me I started towards the throne to speak with the Count…

--------------------
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Dec 27 2007, 08:10 PM
Post #35

Master
Group Icon

So Kvatch is going to happen after all? Unless Rayden get's his tongue twisted into the right forms, that is.
Nice stuff again, including the plan of getting inside.

--------------------
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Dec 28 2007, 05:36 AM
Post #36

Knower
Group Icon

CHAPTER TEN

Trying not to look suspicious, I quickly walked up the aisle until I was a mere few feet away from the Count, Ormellius Goldwine. I knelt on one knee and looked at the ground, attempting to show my respect for Goldwine. I didn’t want to anger him before even having a chance to speak with him.

“My lord, can you spare a few minutes of your time, please?”

I looked up to meet Goldwine’s eyes, and they were still transfixed upon me, as if he was trying to decide whether to oblige to my offer. I had never met the man himself, despite visiting the city many times as a child. I’ve never even heard stories about the Count, other than Martin’s, about him not liking mages or whatever. Other than that I don’t really know what to expect.

“And why should I speak to the likes of you, Bosmer?”

He said this not with a tone of disrespect, thought it may have sounded like it to anyone else. I could tell he was at least a little curious as to what I had to say.

“I come with news of Mankar Cameron’s plans. I know what he wants with Cyrodiil. He wants to find the Amulet of Kings and eventually take control of the country.”

I had also expected this statement to catch the Count off guard, but instead he just laughed. “Is that all, Bosmer? Well of course he wants to take over the country! Why else would he invade our land? And obviously he wants the amulet destroyed so that the dragonfires will diminish. But what fools me is why he wants that. There are no other Septim heirs, so all we are left to do is ponder why he wants that amulet so much.”

I didn’t want to mention Martin’s name, for the time wasn’t right for that. Instead I went ahead and told the Count of Mankar’s plan for tonight. “Mankar is also going to attack Kvatch, this evening in fact.”

This announcement caused quite a stir within the room, and everyone began talking with one another, rather loudly I might add. They were all pointing at me, asking each other who I was and where I came from. But the Count, however, was only angered by my statement.

“How can you make such a statement? What makes you think you know what Mankar is going to do?”

The Counts attitude had drastically changed for the worst. At that point, I don’t think telling Goldwine that ‘a friend told me’ would do me any good. But I definitely would explain how I infiltrated the city. But why should I not tell him about Alf’s claim? It wouldn’t hurt.

“I just came from the Imperial City. I…infiltrated the city, but was caught by Mankar and thrown into jail. Then, when I escaped with my prison mate, he told me that he heard with his own ears, from Mankar himself, that he was going to attack Kvatch today, sometime in the late evening.”

He still wasn’t going to believe me. “And why should I believe that you, a low-life scum, was able to escape the Mythic Dawn’s headquarters? For all I know you are simply making this up and all of it is a lie. Leave now before I have you thrown into my own dungeon!”

Before I even had a chance to defend myself my arms were grabbed by two guards and they began to drag me from the Counts throne room. “Wait, you have to listen to me, I swear I’m not lying! They’re going to attack this city tonight!” But he wasn’t even looking at me now. “You’ve got to believe me! If you don’t your city will fall!”

The guards took me outside and then threw me to the ground. They walked back inside, slamming the door shut behind them. I laid on my back for a few seconds, spitting out the clods of dirt that had unfortunately made thier way into my mouth. I guess that’s what I get for trying to save a city from it’s soon destruction.

“Hey, I thought I told you stay out of there!” yelled the guard who originally wouldn’t let me inside.

I got up from the ground and walked away. Thankfully the guard didn’t come after me, but he did send me a last second message, “The next time I catch you around here I’m locking you up!”

I didn’t care what he said, if Goldwine wanted his city to burn to the ground, then so be it. Martin, Alf, and I have done all we can do to help the Count see what is really happening out there, but his ignorance has blinded him, disabling him to see the truth. It doesn’t matter anymore, the three us have to get out of here as soon as possible.

“What did he say, Woody?” Alf asked as him and Martin, who were both sitting on the same ledge as the three us had been doing before I entered the castle.

Martin knew what I was about to say, and sighed heavily as I told Alf what happened. “He wouldn’t listen to me. He called me a liar and had his guards throw me out. I tried to tell you, Martin. Now what are we supposed to do?”

“I don’t know. We’ve got to get out of here before the Mythic Dawn show up, I do know that.”

“So what happened with you and Alf? You didn’t get into trouble with the guards?”

“No, that just told us to get lost,” Alf said.

We stood in sat in silence for a few minutes while trying to decide on where to go from here. We couldn’t go back to the Imperial City; it was too dangerous to attempt another infiltration. Count Goldwine was never going to believe me, and neither was Adamus. All we could do was travel to the next city and hope they would listen to our story.
“I guess we should just travel to the next closest city. What about Skingrad? Do you think Count Hassildor would be willing to hear what we have to say?” Martin asked.

“I don’t know, I’ve never met the man before, but I’ve heard he’s one of the more intelligent rulers of Cyrodiil. What do we have to lose?”

Before we left the city we grabbed some bread from the local bakery, which was a different store from the one I worked at as a teenager, as well as a different owner. We sat outside on a bench while we ate the food and washed it down with bottles of water. I hadn’t eaten a bit since I first came into the possession of the amulet. This meal was definitely a refresher.

“So, Alf, you never really told us about yourself. What was life like before all this mess started?” I asked.

“Well,” he said taking a last gulp of his bread,” I was just a gardener fer someone in the Elven Gardens. A nice little Altmer lady, very kind, offered me the job because she was getting to feeble to take care of it herself. Don’t ask me why she wanted me fer the job, but I took it without hesitation. I knew she’d pay me well because of her wealth, and that she did. It’s too bad I spent most of me money at the Arena, where I rarely won any bets. What about you, Woody?” He asked me.

“I’m a freelance thief, if you will. Nothing else really matters I guess; it’s all I’ve ever known since I was a young adult.”

I wasn’t in the mood for going into detail, like my past, unlike when I met Martin. I don’t know…it was kind of embarrassing now that I think about it. Here lately I’ve silently been arguing with myself about what I have become. Never before did I look down upon myself because I was thief. Heck, I suppose I even considered myself somewhat of a “respectable” thief, even though that doesn’t make any sense at all. I’ve persuaded myself over the years that what I do is not wrong, only a necessity. But now…..I just don’t know. I’m starting to have second thoughts about where my life is heading, and I’m not sure whether that’s a bad thing or a good thing.

“What about you, Marty? What’s your story?”

Martin rolled his eyes at the new given nickname and explained his past, but as an extremely trimmed down version.

“I’ve been a priest for a while now. I used to be in the Mages Guild but it didn’t exactly work out for me.”

We spent another ten minutes or so eating the rest of our food and drinking the rest of our water. Then we refilled the bottles to the top, and head out towards Skingrad. Rather than travel through the forest we just used the dirt road. There really wasn’t a threat from anyone, or at least we hoped so.

“You know, Martin, why didn’t we stop at Skingrad first? We passed it up on the way to Kvatch,” I said.

“I don’t know, I guess because Alf told us they were going to attack Kvatch.”

“But wouldn’t they go ahead and attack Skingrad while they passed? Why pass up on an opportunity to strike the city by surprise?”

“I don’t know, Rayden, maybe because Skingrad’s army is a lot stronger than that of Kvatch,” he said sarcastically. “Historically Count Janus Hassildor of Skingrad has been feared by many, and I guess Mankar just thinks Kvatch will be much easier to take over, and if you ask me I think that as well.”

“How so? Kvatch is well protected by their walls.”

“That’s true, Rayden, but Ormellius Goldwine is too preoccupied with making money that he’s forgotten the army. Their numbers are weak and the soldiers aren’t very well trained.”

“But they’ve got the legion with them. Why would Mankar attack a city where the Legion commander is present? It would be much easier to attack Skingrad.”

“Skingrad has Legion presence as well. Mankar probably wants to kill the Adamus Phillida to send a message to the rest of the country: that the Mythic Dawn cannot be stopped.”

“Ay, but we plan to stop that!” Alf yelled.

“It’s not going to be as easy as it sounds, Alf,” Martin explained. The Mythic Dawn cultists are trained professionals in the Dark Arts. I know you two were able to take out several of them at the Imperial City, but it’s not going to be that simple every time. They saw you two us mere prisoners. That had no clue what they were up against. But now that they know the skills you two possess, they’ll be prepared.”

“That all makes sense, but how does Mankar even know what we are up to?” I asked.

“For all we know he doesn’t have a clue, I’m just giving you an example. But sooner or later he will find out what we are doing and he will also realize who I am and what we have in our possession. Then things are going to get a lot more complicated and dangerous…for all of us, not just me.”

Silence fell upon us for several seconds until Alf chimed in again. “I’ll never leave ya’ Marty. I’ll stand by yer side till’ the end, whenever that is.”

Alf was a good person, thought I’m still having trouble understanding why he’s so eager to help us in the first place. He hasn’t even known us that long and already he’s pledging his life to us. But I guess that’s sort of the same way with me. I’m putting my trust in Martin and I barely know the man either.

“Yes, count on me as well, Martin. I mean, what else can I do? Sooner or later there won’t be anyone to steal from if the Mythic Dawn keeps up with their plan,” I said grinning.

We walked not very long, maybe a couple of hours or so, and it was about five o’clock in the evening. We reached the edge of the dirt path surrounded by trees, and it was flat lands the entire way after that. I say this because at the edge of the forest we could see the city of Skingrad in the distance. It wasn’t too far away, maybe another hour at the most. And then, to the west of Skingrad, we could see torches, many of them. We marched towards the lights, while picking up the pace, and as we neared we realized it was the Mythic Dawn. We stood beside a rock from afar while we watched them pass along the dirt road in the middle of everything where they could be easily seen. There were so many of them, easily a thousand if not more.

“Look at them. They’re not even more than two hundred yards from the city, yet Hassildor isn’t sending out his troops to fight,” Martin said.

“Why would he send out his troops if he’s not going to be attacked? I’m sure he’s keeping a close eye on them, but from the looks of it, it seems as if your theory was right, Martin. I guess Mankar does want to send that message.”

“Either that or Hassildor has sided with the scum!” Alf said.

“No, I doubt that. I know Hieronymus Lex betrayed the country, but I just can’t see a Count or Countess doing the same thing. It just wouldn’t make sense,” Martin said.

“It does if they don’t want their entire city destroyed!” Alf shot back.

Martin didn’t argue any further, one because there was simply no reasoning with the stubborn Nord. And two Alf was actually becoming angry, and it probably wasn’t a smart thing to get an Angry Nord even more upset that he already is. Not unless you want your face smashed in that is.

After Mankar and the rest of the Mythic Dawn troops passed by the three of us continued on, this time through the forest, just so we didn’t take a chance being spotted by Mankar or his men.

When we reached the city gates we were met by about ten soldiers dressed in Skingrad uniforms, all with their swords drawn as if we were the enemy.

“Halt! Show your hands!” yelled the one soldier without a helmet. He looked to be a Redguard, but I actually wasn’t so sure. He could have passed as an Imperial, but with an unusually dark skin complexion.

“There’s not need to worry, friend; we’re not here to harm you. We’ve come to speak with Count Janus Hassildor,” Martin said in calm voice.

“And why is that?” said the guard.

“We have news concerning the fate of Cyrodiil and the plans of Mankar Camoran.”

The soldiers whispered amongst one another and the tanned guard silenced them with the raise of his right arm. Then he walked over to Martin, just inches away from his face. Then stared into his eyes for a few seconds and said, “Why should I believe you?”

“You’ll just have to take my word.”

“Words really don’t mean anything nowadays,” the guard replied back.

Martin stared back at the guard this last about ten seconds until I started to grow impatient. “Come on, Martin, just show him the amulet.”

Martin looked at me crazily, as if I had just asked him to take his clothes off or something. Then he realized we weren’t going to get into the city unless he did what I had suggested. So he reluctantly got the amulet from his robe pocket for the guard to see. The guard’s eyes lit up in amazement as the amulet twinkled in the air. Then he looked at Martin with awe, and then at Alf and I.

“Come with me, please,” he mumbled in shock.

--------------------
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Dec 28 2007, 08:24 PM
Post #37

Knower
Group Icon

CHAPTER ELEVEN

The man led us through the gates, but the soldiers stayed outside, no doubt protecting the city from intruders. Inside the city, soldiers were everywhere, all ready just in case the Mythic Dawn decided to attack, or so I assumed. I didn’t see any citizens mulling about, but that was because they were likely hiding in their homes from the potential invasion.

“My name is Dion; I am the Captain of the City Guard. And what are your names?” The guard captain asked us this question while we made our way through the crowded streets filled with war-ready soldiers.

“My name is Rayden. This here is Martin and Alf,” I replied, motioning towards my two companions.

“Well, I’ll go ahead and apologize for getting in your face out there,” Dion said to Martin. “With Mankar and his men so close I assumed you were on their side.”

“There is no need for apologies, Captain, it’s quite understandable.”

Then Dion went on to explain where he was taking us. “We’re heading for the castle, where you will speak to Count Janus Hassildor immediately and show him that amulet. If you don’t mind me asking, how did you come into the possession of that?” Dion said pointing to Martin’s pocket where the amulet was resting. Martin nodded at me, because it was I who found it in the first place.

“I was walking through the prison sewers when I saw Uriel Septim and several Blades fighting with Mythic Dawn cultists. There was also a prisoner as well but he died, along with the Blades and Emperor Septim,” I said.

“You mean you were actually there when it all happened? You actually saw Uriel Septim die?” Dion asked bewildered.

“Yes, I saw one a cultist run his sword into Uriel’s chest. There were at least three of them. There was nothing I could have done to save him.”

“Don’t blame yourself, I understand the situation. You did a brave and wondrous task but just getting out alive with the amulet in hand.”

We arrived at the Castle doors and we entered inside, where again, many soldiers were lined up, this time around the Count himself. Hassildor was talking with a soldier, seemingly one with importance. The soldier was probably an officer of some kind.

“Excuse me, my lord, but I think these three have something of interest to you,” Dion said to the Count.

The Count stopped talking to the guard and turned his attention Dion and the rest of us. The entire room quieted down considerably, as all present was curious to see who we were and what we were doing in their city.

“Yes, Dion, what is it that you need? Who are these three you have with you?” Count Hassildor asked.

“My Lord, these three have brought us the Amulet of Kings.”

The room erupted into loud whispering and finger pointing. Count Hassildor’s eyebrows raised and the guard next to him scoffed rather loudly, and then whispered something into the Count’s right ear.

“Can I see the amulet,” said the Count.

Martin brought the amulet from his pocket and handed it to me. Apparently I was going to show it to the Count. Then Dion motioned for me to follow him and I did. We walked up to the throne and I handed Count Hassildor the amulet. He took it in his hands and examined it closely for a few seconds, and then said to me, “You and your two friends need to follow me to my chambers, immediately.”

I waved for Alf and Martin to follow me. The guard next to the Count said to Dion, “Return to your post Dion. You are no longer needed here.” The guard, who I noticed was an Imperial, spoke to Dion very rudely, as if Dion was under him somehow.

“Yes, sir,” Dion grumbled, and then returned to the outside.

Martin, Alf, and I followed Hassildor and the Imperial guard as they led us up a flight of stairs and eventually into an expensively decorated room, the Count’s chambers. The guard closed the door and Hassildor took a seat at a desk, where the guard then walked over and stood by his side.

“Where did you find this?” Hassildor asked while holding up the amulet.

I told the Count my story, and at first I thought he was going to claim my statements false, just Ormellius Goldwine had done. But, fortunately, I was wrong about that. The Count did believe me and actually thanked me for coming.

“You three have done a wise thing by bringing this amulet to me, and for this you have my thanks. I would not trust any other Count or Countess myself. Well, perhaps Narina Carvain of Chorrol, but even she can have a conniving mind at times, although for the most part I think she means well. But, now that you are here, what is there to do? Mankar obviously wants this amulet, but he does not know its possessor, does he?”

I shook my head no.

“Good, then we still have time to plan, but unfortunately I am not sure what we are planning for. Mankar wants this amulet destroyed so that he can clear the threat of another heir to the throne, but that puzzles me greatly. There are no other heirs.”

Right then I looked back at Martin, who nodded at me. He knew what had to be done.

“My Lord, my name is Martin Septim, son of Uriel Septim. I am the last heir.”

Hassildor was stunned and at a loss for words, just as the guard was as well. He looked at the guard, then back at us.

“Preposterous…there’s no way,” Hassildor gasped. “Are you serious? Are you really claiming to be of the Septim bloodline?”

Martin walked up to the Count and requested the amulet. When handed to him, Martin wrapped the amulet around neck, and followed next was a bright display of lights that lit up the room. Martin had proven his point most effectively.

“I don’t believe it. You really are the heir to the throne. This is magnificent, stupendous! Don’t you know what this means?” Hassildor had jumped from his seat and was wild with giddy happiness. “You are the future Emperor of Cyrodiil! Once Mankar and his minions are forever defeated you shall take your seat as the rightful leader of the country!”

The Count’s envisions were certainly high for Martin, but unfortunately he didn’t seem to agree with Hassildor. “My Lord, I do not wish to be Emperor. I only want peace for Cyrodiil, nothing more.”

“But you have an opportunity to become what most only dream of! The Septim bloodline has lasted for many years, and now you want to end it yourself? Surely you just haven’t thought about it yet, maybe if…”

“No,” Martin said sternly, “I have thought about it for the past several days. I do not want to be Emperor. That is enough of that, please.”

He seemed agitated, but Hassildor grudgingly dropped the subject. “Very, well, I see you are blinded by what honor should be passed to you. But I see you want no part in that, and so because of this I shall hold my tongue, my now at least. But, what to do with this amulet…”

“We must defeat Mankar and his troops, my lord. I don’t see any other way,” the guard said.

“Yes, Danus, but we need more men. The army of the Mythic Dawn is much larger than ours. They control over half the country for crying out loud!”

“Your honor, Mankar is now heading for Kvatch. My friend here, Alf, heard this with his own ears. And as you saw with the passing of the Mythic Dawn shortly ago, this is true. He is going to attack Kvatch. You should send your army to aid the city. Defeat Mankar and this war will end. But if you do not send your army, another city will be destroyed and we will be that much closer from defeat.”

Hassildor pondered my small speech for a few seconds, and then gave word to his guard, “Danus, assemble the troops. We leave in one hour for Kvatch.”

The guard left the room and it just the four of us left.

“Preparations will be set and the army will be on its way in no time. Of course, out of the thirty-five hundred men at my disposal, I will keep one thousand just in case the city is attacked.

“Yes, sir, I am glad to see you are wiser than that of the Count of Kvatch,” Martin said. “And I suppose we are now under your command, so what shall we do to help?”

“Can the three of you fight?”

Alf and I nodded.

“Very well, it is decided then. You two shall join my troops in battle. As for you Martin, you will stay here with me. I was not going to send you to battle anyhow. Not with your importance.”

“Yes, my lord,” Martin said.

I was a bit surprised that Hassildor would decide so fast on sending his troops to battle, but I guess I shouldn’t complain. The Count then instructed us to meet with Dion, who would lead the back half of the troops on the battlefield. Danus, the guard who was with Hassildor, would lead the front line. When Alf and I arrived outside where the guards were lining up, Dion was instructing them on what to expect once the fighting started. When Alf and I arrived he greeted us warmly.

“Great, I’m glad to have you two fighting with us! We shall stay in the back of the lines, away from the first wave of Mythic Dawn troops. But don’t worry, we’ll get our action!”

Dion was ready for the battle, which was good thing. Confidence was an excellent tool. I asked Dion to speak with Alf and me in private, and so we walked away where only the three of us could hear each other.

“Who is that?” I asked, pointing to Danus, who was talking with his troops.

“That’s Danus Artellian, Captain of the Castle Guard. He totes his rank around arrogantly. I’ve come to despise him, even if he’s a valiant warrior.”

“Skills in battle sometimes lead to a big head,” I said. “It’s unfortunate he has to act that way. I saw how you treated you in the throne room.”

“He treats me so low, just because I’m the City Captain and he’s the Castle Captain. I realize his sole role his mainly protecting the Count and leading the Count’s personal bodyguard unit, which is obviously important, but he shouldn’t act the way does. It doesn’t matter thought, I’ve come to get used to it.”

Dion then walked over to his men and said a few more words before Danus walked over to inform us we would be leaving shortly. Then he walked over to Alf and I.

“I just wanted you know I do not want you with me on this mission. I can lead my men perfectly without the help of a lowly Bosmer and a dumb oaf of a Nord. You’re lucky Count Hassildor wishes for you to come. Otherwise your sorry lives would have stay here in the city,” he turned and walked away.

I was very surprised to see Danus act this way. Here we were, risking our own lives to help him and his men, and he didn’t even appreciate it.

“I don’t appreciate your tone, Captain. We’re only trying to help you and your men. There’s really no reason to cop an attitude with us,” I yelled at him.

He immediately turned back around and walked right up to me. He was of course taller than me since I’m a Bosmer, and he looked down upon me while I looked up. But I showed no fear.

“You pathetic Bosmer, you think I care what you say or do? Well I could care less about you or your dumb friend. Just make sure to stay out of my way on the battlefield,” and said and walked off for the last time.

“What a jerk, isn’t he, Woody?”

“Yes, Alf, he certainly is. We’ll have to keep a watch on him. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’d attack us by “accident”.”

“Aye, lad. That I will do.”

“I’m sorry you two had to witness his wraith as well,” Dion said, smiling just a bit.

“Don’t worry about it. I’ve dealt with others like him before. It’s nothing I can’t handle.”

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Dec 28 2007, 10:49 PM
Post #38

Master
Group Icon

Some interesting developments going on with the last couple of updates. It's a shame that Goldwine and the troops of Kvatch are too ignorant and naive to believe Rayden and the others. Hopefully that doesn't prove to be their complete downfall now that Skingrad is coming to the rescue.

I'm actually curious if Martin would've shown the Kvatch guards the amulet if they would've believed them then. But I guess the group learned from their mistakes in order to convince the Skingrad people of the crisis at hand.

--------------------

+Quote Post
redsrock
post Dec 29 2007, 05:15 AM
Post #39

Knower
Group Icon

Thanks, I'm glad to see you like it. As for the next chapter, I don't Ill have it up tomorrow for two reasons. One, I haven't even started yet, and two, I work. But we'll just have to see...

--------------------
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Dec 30 2007, 06:49 AM
Post #40

Knower
Group Icon

CHAPTER TWELVE

The sun had vanished from the skies a little more than an hour ago, and as its replacement, the moon has been shining brighter than I have ever seen it before. I know not whether this is a sign of things to come, but it’s awfully strange if you ask me; of all the nights to shine so brightly, why this one? Look at me now, worrying about how the moon is glowing. I know I’m starting to sound stupid now. But what if there really was a reason to worry? What if something terrible was about to happen and I was unprepared?

“Woody, yer way too quiet. Is somethin’ the matter?”

Apparently my thoughts could be easily read. I couldn’t help it, something just wasn’t right. I wish I could say I was simply being a worrywart, But I can’t. Something evil is afoot, and I’m not talking about Mankar and his men.

“Nothing really, I just don’t know about this mission we’re off to. Before we left the city, when we were back at the Count’s chambers, it all made sense then. But now, I just can’t help but wonder if we’re walking into a trap. Don’t worry though, I’m ready to fight.”

“I understand, Woody. I’d also understand if ya’ were a bit nervous heading into battle. There’s no shame in it, lad, it’s natural.”

“No, I’m not nervous, Alf. It’s not that at all. I just can’t put my finger on it right now…”

The forest was completely quiet. I couldn’t hear any sounds of animals, which was also strange. I couldn’t remember a time I had passed through a forest at night and hadn’t heard a creature stir. But tonight…total silence. The only sounds were the clanging of armor and the pitter-patter of boots on the paved road. And of course the talking between Alf and I, something I don’t think the soldiers enjoyed. When Alf spoke it was usually louder than necessary. The soldiers likely thought the big Nord would give away our position, but that was highly doubtful. We had been in Skingrad nearly two hours before heading out to Kvatch. There was no way the Mythic Dawn would stop on their way to Kvatch, so it was likely they were way ahead of us anyway.

“Hey, I know you two aren’t trained soldiers, so let me just give you a quick explanation of military warfare,” Dion said when he walked up to us. “Once the battle starts our men shall remain in the back, sort of like reinforcements. Danus will lead the first wave, and if he needs us we’ll be there to back him up. When they passed our city earlier, our scouts counted fifteen hundred of them give or take a little. We definitely hold the advantage in numbers, but those mages are tricky. We can’t let our guard down.”

“Are your men trained in defending themselves from magic attacks?” I asked.

“We tried to hire a mage to teach our men a few counter spells, but the man we hired didn’t really know what he was talking about I’m afraid. Whatever our men know will do them no good against the skill of the Mythic Dawn.”

His tone seemed unsure to if we should be fighting with the Mythic Dawn at all.

“So you don’t think this mission was the wisest decision?” I asked.

He looked to make sure no other officers were in sight, and then whispered to me, “I’m not saying we should hide from them, but we should at least be getting some help from someone who is knowledgeable in magic. I mean, all they have to do is cast spells at us from afar. Our archers can only do so much, and unfortunately for us that isn’t much at all. Marksmanship is our army’s weak point believe it or not.”

Alf could use magic, but he was just one person. Dion was right with what he was saying. Surely we wouldn’t stand a chance against the Mythic Dawn, even if we did have more men. Though I didn’t want him to know I felt that way. I always like to remain calm, no matter the situation.

“So a surprise attack is in order?”

“Precisely, Rayden. That is the only way we can give ourselves a fair chance of winning the battle. Without the element of surprise I am afraid we are running into a mass-suicide mission. Danus doesn’t want to admit it, but I think he feels the same way. Or at least I would he would have enough sense to realize the situation.”

“And does Danus know of your feelings?”

“Of course not. I wouldn’t dare say a thing like that to him. He’d simply call me a coward and tell the Count to dismiss me from the army.”

“You say that as if he has tried that before.”

“He has, several times in fact. The Count believes in my skill I think, and so far I have been able to avoid all of Danus’s claims.”

“Why do you say ‘claims’? Has he lied to the Count or something?”

“Yes, he’s made of a few stories about me, but thankfully the Count has always dismissed the accusations.”

“But why does yer Count put up with Danus’s lies?” Alf asked.

“Danus is his “heir-to-be”. He’s been the Counts “chosen one” since he was twelve years old. Plus Danus kisses a lot of you-know-what. I’ve commented about that before, and he got so angry his cheeks were as red as hog blood!” Dion said giggling a bit.

“I’m very sorry you have to put up with Danus’s antics. It’s a shame some people act in this manner.”

“Don’t sweat it, Rayden. Just as you have said about your self, I’ve dealt with his kind before; all my life I have.”

We marched on throughout the night until at last, sometime after midnight I think, we reached the edge of the forest, and looking down upon a large hill we could see the city of Kvatch, but the strange thing was that no Mythic Dawn cultists were in sight. Torches were lit in the towers, and there were no signs that a struggle had occurred. Alf, Dion and I walked up the lines to meet Danus, who was peering at the city with the same perplexed look as we were.

“I don’t get it. Where are they?” Danus said out loud.

“What would you like us to do sir?” Dion asked.

“How the hell should I know? They aren’t even here!”

“Excuse me, but perhaps they were let in willingly?” I said.

“What are you suggesting wood elf?” Dion said with a rude tone.

“Maybe they were let in by someone from the inside. If that’s the case they likely struck with surprise, and given the low quality of soldiers that Kvatch has, it wouldn’t have taken much overrun the city.”

“So you think they’re in there, right now?” Danus replied.

“That’s exactly what I think. But there’s only one way to find out for sure.”

“And how’s that, genius?”

“Let me infiltrate the city and see what’s going on.”

“Are you serious? What makes you think you can do that without getting caught?”

“You’ll just have to trust me with that. Believe me, I won’t get caught. I’m used to this kind of thing…”

“Wait…you’re a thief aren’t you? No wonder you came into the possession of the amulet! You were snooping around the sewers, like the filthy rat you are! Wait until the Count learns of what we are allying ourselves with!”

I had had enough with his bickering. I wasn’t going to take it anymore. “You know what, Danus; I really don’t care what you think. It doesn’t matter if I’m a thief, or if I’m some kind of prodigy like you think you are apparently. Either way I could run my blade through your throat so fast you wouldn’t even see it coming. Now shut up and stop throwing your rank around. Just because you’re Captain of the Castle Guard doesn’t mean you can act like a spoiled jerk to everyone. Why don’t you show some respect to those under you once in a while? Maybe then you’d be a more popular person. Oh well, it doesn’t matter to me. I’m leaving now to see what’s going on in there. I’ll be back soon…”

I left before he had a chance to reply, and I have to admit I was feeling quite good about myself. I had put Danus in his place in front of his own troops. Surely he was feeling quite foolish, but at the same time I knew he now hated me more than he did before, which is probably a hard task to accomplish. I didn’t really care though; he’d get over it sooner or later.

“Wait, Woody, hold up will ya?”

Alf came running from behind, but I wasn’t so sure if I had heard him right. He wanted to come with me?

“What did you say?” I asked.

“I said hold up, lad. I’m comin’ with ya’.”

“Umm…..no, your not.”

“What do ya’ mean I’m not comin’ with ya?”

“You’re seven feet tall, Alf! How in the world are you going to sneak around in there when you’re at least a foot taller than everyone else?”

“Woody, I aint takin’ no fer an answer. I’m goin’ in with ya’ whether ya’ like it or not. Who’s gonna save ya’ if you get captured again?” He said chuckling.

“No, you’re not coming with me! Will you stop arguing with me, please? Just stay here with Dion and Danus.”

I turned around and walked away; hoping Alf would just listen to me. But of course he didn’t. I looked back and he was following me with a large grin. I wasn’t really that surprised though. Stubborn Nord…

“I told ya’ I wasn’t takin’ no fer an answer!”

I didn’t feel like arguing so I simply continued on my way. Alf and I snuck around the castle, to a hidden entrance I had learned of as a child whenever I snuck around during the night, when my parents were asleep of course. The entrance to the door, which was cleverly carved like a simple stone sketch into the castle wall, led to a dark wet tunnel that stretched for about fifty yards. At the opposite end was another door, this one wooden and locked. On the other side was a garden, just behind the chapel. The only reason I knew what was behind the door was because long ago I had searched for where I thought it would be. I searched and searched for days until I last I had come to another picture, similar to the one outside. When I looked closer I realized it was exactly the same picture as the outside one. This was definitely a clever trick, but perhaps not if a mere child was able to decipher the ploy.

“How did you find this here passageway, Woody?”

“I found it while exploring the outside as a child. I don’t know how I came upon it, but let’s just say I’m very observant,” I said looking back, and as I did I realized Alf was basically crawling through the tight space because of his height.

“Are you okay there?” I said, not being able to stop my self from laughing a bit.

“This is one o’ those times when I wish I wasn’t so tall!”

“Well, don’t worry. There are times when I wish I wasn’t so short.”

“Ah, come off it! Your size is perfect for what you do!”

“True, but it doesn’t give me the respect I sometimes wish I had.”

“Lad, yer a thief! Do ya’ really honestly care what anyone else thinks about ya’?”

“No, not really. Didn’t I display that feeling when I confronted Danus?”

“Ya, that there was hilirious! It’s about time someone told him off. He was really gettin’ on my nerves!”

We walked on through the tunnel, and when we reached the end I got out a lock pick that I always kept in my shoe. It wasn’t the most comfortable of places, but I got used to it. Carefully and quietly I unlocked the door and swung it slowly forward. On the other side was the garden, just as I had thought it would be the garden stood on front of us.

“Good job, Woody. Where to now?” Alf whispered.

I motioned for him to follow me while I stepped into the city. The streets were of course empty; it was nearly one in the morning. But, as I looked in the distance, I saw that many tents had been set up close to the city gates. I pointed at the tents Alf nodded in acknowledgment. We crept over to them, and I was trying to figure out what to do, when Alf, whispered, “Let’s go check the castle, Woody. These here must be the tents of the Mythic Dawn cultists. I bet ya’ Mankar is somewhere inside the castle.”

I agreed with him and we walked to the castle, where there were no guards standing outside the gates, which was considerably weird.

“Why do you think no one is guarding the entrance?” I asked.

“Oh well, let’s get inside,” Alf said quickly as be started towards the entrance. Before I could even reply I had to catch up to him. He was far ahead of me, for he had picked up the pace. He was already about to open the door when I whispered loudly, “Wait, what are you doing barging in there so suddenly? Just hold on a second. Why are you acting so weird all of a sudden?”

He showed his usual grin and stepped aside as I crept up to the door. I tried to listen for any movement from the inside, but I couldn’t pick up anything. Then I looked through the keyhole, which was a rather large because it was the castle door, and all I saw was total darkness…..strange.

“What’s wrong, Woody?”

I can’t explain what happened next, but suddenly I decided that I wasn’t going inside the castle. Something had come over me just then and nothing could get me inside that building.

“No, it’s not safe in there. We’re not going. Besides, its pitch dark in there and I don’t think anyone’s home. Come on, let’s look somewhere else.”

I turned to walk away but Alf didn’t agree with me. “No, Woody, it’s the Count’s castle. I think we should enter.”

“No, Alf let’s go,” I said, tugging at this sleeve.

“Come on, lad, just one little peek.”

“What is with you, Alf? I said no; let’s get out of here, now! Something isn’t right”

I tried to walk away but Alf took me by the arm and swung me around, and then stepped in front of me, and I was then between him and the castle, facing him.

“We’re not going anywhere, Rayden.”

He talked, not with his usual Nordic tone, but one with intelligence, normality. He no longer had the accent. He was now smiling, but not his usual grin. This one was pure evil, and nothing else. Suddenly the door behind me slammed open. I looked inside and all I saw was blackness, nothingness. Then, a blast of red sparks came at my body. The spell hit me in the stomach and I was sent flying backwards. I hit Alf, but his barely even budged. I felt a crack in my lower back as I fell to the ground. I looked up at the castle entrance, and Mankar was walking out, along with Lex and two Mythic Dawn cultists. But these cultists were different. They were wearing red and silver armor that looked ritualistic in way. And they were wearing dark silver ritual masks that covered their entire face. At their sides rested a steel long blade.

Then Mankar walked up to my body, looking down at me, and said, “Well, well, Rayden. You certainly have a knack for getting caught, don’t you? That’s usually not what a thief tends to do, now is it, street rat?”

--------------------
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:07 PM