Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Now Listening To..., The newest music discussion thread!
The Metal Mallet
post Jun 16 2007, 03:40 PM
Post #1

Master
Group Icon

Woo! New thread! To celebrate, here's this weekend's music list:

Dream Theater - Words and Images
Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory
Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Dream Theater - Train of Thought
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

Obviously, the theme for today is my entire Dream Theater collection. We'll see if some of these re-light the spark I originally had for some of these CDs. I'll honestly be surprized if I have enough time to listen to all my Dream Theater before work is over. Anyways, time to talk about some recent purchases.

Systematic Chaos by Dream Theater

After the more lighter toned Octavarium, Dream Theater comes back with an album that's aggressive like Train of Thought, but not as dark or bitter. Instead there's a sense of energy with the band and it's making this release quite enjoyable this time around. Songs to check out are Constant Motion, with its excellent riffs, Forsaken for its epic feel, and the mini epic, In the Presence of Enemies Parts 1 and 2. It's still the tried and true Dream Theater formula so it shouldn't disappoint those all ready into the band.

City of Echoes by Pelican

Pelican plays of brand of instrumental metal that is often lumped in the stylings of Isis and the post metal genre. This time around, Pelican opted for a more melodic and less heavy sound. They even have a track that is completely acoustic. While some have lamented the fact that their sludgy riffs have all but disappeared with this release, I actually don't mind it. There's plenty of solid music throughout that even those who don't necessarily like metal music should like (well they at least gotta like rock music). This is a good CD to get your hands on.

Overature of the Wicked by Iced Earth

This is really an EP of 4 songs. The first track is a newly written song, while the other three are re-recorded works from their Something Wicked This Way Comes album. They're re-recorded because since that album, the band has a new singer, Tim Owens, who is mostly known for his two album stint singing for Judas Priest. Now, I've only listened to Iced Earth with Owens singing for the band, so I have no idea how they sounded with Matt Barlow (their previous vocalist). These songs though contain a nice intensity and Owens' Halford meets Dickenson-esque vocals works suitably for the music. The galloping riffs and musicianship definitely stand out. This EP has convinced me to get their upcoming up a shot.

Minus the Herd by Ion Dissonance

Ion Dissonance is a Canadian band that plays the currently "stylish" and hip genre in metal: deathcore. For those uninitiated with the name, it basically means the band implements the brutality and aggressive guitars and drums of the Death Metal genre and combines it with elements of Hardcore punk. The Hardcore influence is mainly expressed by this band through it's vocalist and the implementation of "breakdowns", which are moments where the music basically starts to stutter with start and stop riffing to make things sound all the more heavy. This is actually my first experience with this genre and I actually didn't mind it, mainly because the vocalist for this band in particular doesn't sound completely moronic. The music itself is quite technical and likely difficult to play as the instruments are still very involved even during the breakdowns. The unfortunate thing with this album is that it suffers from sounding the same in each track, making it difficult to pick out noteworthy songs. It's not a bad CD, but not something that's necessary.

Given to the Rising by Neurosis

I've been eagerly waiting for this CD since the start of the year and it doesn't disappoint at all! Neurosis are pioneers in the metal, since they basically created the doom mixed with hardcore that is quite popular nowadays as seen by bands such as Isis, Cult of Luna, Minsk, etc. With this CD in particular, Neurosis decided to go back to their heavy elements in their music (it was missing throughout much of their last CD, which was still great though). This album has amazed me so far, from the majesty of the title track, to the foreboding nature of "Fear and Sickness", even to the two creepy spoken word songs, "Shadow" and "Nine". The best track of the CD has to be "To the Wind" though. It begins deceptively with clean and passionate post rock guitars. After a little groan by the vocalist the melody switches into the most energetic guitar riff on the album and the whiskey stained vocals come howling in. With three minutes left to the song, the music dies down again into an eerie guitar and programming effect for a few spoken words. The song ends with the lines "to the wind" repeatedly howled for 20-30 seconds lengths. Simply stunning! So far, this is my favourite album of the year. Highly, highly recommended for those willing to experiment with their listening. Their last album, The Eye of Every Storm, is likely their most excessible but Given to the Rising or "Through Silver and Blood" are likely the best impression of Neurosis' sound.

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jun 23 2007, 04:20 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

Hehe, nearly forgot to do this today. Then again, it shouldn't be easy to forget this when I'm stuck on a computer for 7 hours! Here's this weekend's listening experience:

Dream Theater - Octavarium
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid The Omniscient
Eyes of Fire - Prisons
Insomnium - In the Halls of Awaiting
Bokor - Anomia1
Sigh - Hangman's Hymn
Union of Lanterns - Truth (If You Want It)

So this week I decided to finish off listening to my Dream Theater collection (I didn't finish last week) while all those other CDs are newly purchased this week. I'll probably talk about them next week since I still need to give them some good listening but that last CD is of particular interest because my friend plays in that band. They're basically a two-man acoustic rock group at the moment, well live at least, the album itself contains a decent mix of acoustic with some more electric guitar driven rock in the vein of Radiohead or City and Colour. It was actually produced quite well considering they're completely independant right now. They got a myspace page out there for their band so if you wanna check them out, I'm sure it won't be that difficult to find once you get on there.

--------------------

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
Ibis
post Jun 28 2007, 07:47 PM
Post #3

Mouth
Group Icon

redwizardsmile.gif Turn yer volumn way UP for this one!! {{for double fun XX = click + count 4 + click again))

I salute all the other colonies and fab4 motherland herself ... not forgetting the fatherland either this midsummer's night's deam-come-marching-home time!! Canada Day is Monday-July 1st, 4th of July is Wodens'day, Full Moon is Sabbath the 30th, St. Jean Baptiste Day was Sunday past, we just had Fathers Day , and Bastille Day is July 14th my late mom's b-day; remeber the dear, the departed & the fallen - may they pray for us all marching behind to glory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1iR2Wi3u5o...ted&search=

Rock n roll shall take us to the stars .. and we shall spread it! Happy Independence Day World ... rock on!!

viking.gif cake.gif devilsmile.gif

This post has been edited by Ibis: Jun 29 2007, 03:04 AM

--------------------
IPB Image <--- Moon Cookiies for all who join @ TESFU

+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jun 29 2007, 02:38 AM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm listening to none other than the great Buckethead. Interesting person, even more interesting music. He uses some odd techniques in guitar playing, such as excessive killswitch which makes him sound like some sort of synthesiser. He also plays slap guitar at blazing fast speeds (beat that, Flea) and can shred with the likes of Petrucci and Satriani.

Song title - Jordan

I strongly recommend checking it out. (It's on Guitar Hero II in case you thought it sounded familiar.)

--------------------
"Its when murder is justice that martyrs are made"
+Quote Post
milanius
post Jun 30 2007, 01:17 PM
Post #5

Agent

Many Chao - Clandestino LP.

--------------------
Zlo činiti od zla se braneći,
tu zločinstva nema nikakvoga

Petar II Petrovic Njegos
(1813-1851)
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jun 30 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #6

Master
Group Icon

Hehe, I got paid yesterday so I went on a little shopping spree, basically spent $100 on CDs, then $100 on books. Here's my list of basically entirely new music:

Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb
Anterior - This Age of Silence
King Diamond - Give Me Your Soul...Please
In Flames - Whoracle
Voodooshock - Marie's Sister's Garden
Paradise Lost - In Requiem
Neurosis - Given to the Rising
Sigh - Hangman's Hymn

All right, time to talk about the new CDs I got last week:

Voodooshock play a variation of Doom Metal that often implements some groovy stoner passages. The CD itself starts off with an excellent 1,2,3 punch of "Please Let All Truth in Your Heart", "Marie's Sister's Garden (my favourite track), and the ultra doomy "Funeral Farewell". From there the CD continues it's solid grooviness, though some other standouts include the other slow, ultra doom track, "Miserable Mercy", the liveliest track "I Need A Rest", which actually features a shocking high-pitch wail before breaking into a frenzied guitar melody, and the closing 10 minute epic, "You Don't Need to Fear Death" which has a very strong Black Sabbath feeling to it, mostly noted in the basswork.

The one fault that can be made about this disk is that the middle section is a bit weaker, mostly due to the fact that vocalist Uwe Greebel doesn't always seem to fit in with the music. He tends to stay at the same range and rarely tries to expand (though when he does, it works well), and the slightly droning style he utilises could put off some listeners. But in the above standout songs, I think his vocals work perfectly with the music.

Sigh - Hangman's Hymn

So far, this sucker has been VERY difficult to not listen to. It's just so damn catchy and fun. Sigh is a Japanese "black metal" band that always seems to reinvent themselves with each release that they put out. They've had disks that are odes to horror film music, classic black metal releases, jazz and psychedelic inspired releases, even completely clean vocal releases. This time around, Sigh bring back the harsh black metal rasps, as well as some crazy laughing, a few clean vocals and some creepy higher pitched, circus rasping.

Musically (and this is the truly interesting part) the band utilises thrashy, speedy guitar riffs (the tone of the guitar is absolutely LETHAL) some crazy fast melodic soloing, and interjections of German Symphonic music, much in the same vein as Wagner. It truly proves to be an entertaining mix that proves to be extremely catchy, almost in a bouncy sense. Not to mention there are some moments where things slow down to add some operatic/choir vocals sung in latin.

Standout tracks include the blistering "Inked in Blood", the amusing "Me-Devil", and infectious chorus of "Death With Dishonor". This is definitely one of my favourites for this year.

Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient

Well it appears that Devin Townsend didn't take that much of a break. With this release though, he goes completely solo and abandons his bandmates from Strapping Young Lad and The Devin Townsend Band. That means that Devin wrote, played, and produced everything on this hour long CD. The only thing he didn't "play" were drums, instead he used the "drumkit from hell" program that was created by the drummer from Meshuggah.

The CD itself is basically a comedic sci-fi musical that focuses on Ziltoid the Omniscient, an alien who comes to earth so that he can drink their "Ultimate Cup of Black Coffee". From there Ziltoid (who also claims he's the best guitar player in the omniverse) does battle with the humans because he gets a crappy coffee and another alien by the name of "Captain Spectacular" comes to help the humans by proving that Ziltoid is just a nerd. From there I kinda forget the plot (I've only listening to the entirety of the CD once so far).

Musically, the CD fits in somewhere between Devin's two bands, some of it is pretty heavy (but not as much as Strapping's stuff) and then there's the more prevalent progressive and melodic stuff found on The Devin Townsend Band CDs. Favourite for me so far are the more melodic stuff where Devin uses his amazing purely clean vocals in the beginning of "Solar Winds", through the hypnotic "Hyperdrive", and the finale "The Greys". I'm not sure if this release is a stellar one yet, but it certainly warrants some more listens.

Eyes of Fire - Prisons

I've been wanting to get this one for a wile now. Eyes of Fire is doomy, somewhat hardcore outfit that can be lumped into the group of bands who play music similar to Neurosis. The band features two vocalists, one who handles the more clean vocals (which reminds me of Aaron Turner's, from Isis, Panopticon clean vocals) some screaming and the other vocalist handles the more deeper and gruff hardcore vocals.

The album itself doesn't really get going until track 3, "It All Dies Today" which could be considered the most excessible track on the CD. The middle section of the CD is very strong (though I can't name any songs off the top of my head). I find that the more moodier songs tend to be more impressive than the straight out songs like "Fight Me". I'm also very glad I got a special two disc edition because I wouldn't have the song "Home" from the second disc otherwise. "Home" is the only song on the second disc, but it is a 25 minute, nearly completely instrumental track. Walking home while listening to this song was simply stunning, the vocals for the most part are basically incomprehensible humming/moaning though a few words come through later in the song. The song itself is excellently paced and flows through various stages of heaviness and calm, I never once felt the inclination to figure out how much longer do I have to endure this song (the same can't be said about some Dream Theater or Giant Squid songs). Another recommendation for those who enjoy Isis or doom.

Insomnium - At the Gates of Awaiting

As "Above the Weeping World" had me thoroughly addicted, I decided to check out this band's back catalogue, starting with their first major release At the Gates of Awaiting. Just from listening to this, I can tell they definitely tighten up on the songwriting since then. These songs are still really, really good but they seem a bit more formuliac when compared to their newest release. Though I do admit, some of these songs appear to provide a bit more lethal dose of the death metal aspect of their Melodic Death Metal style. They still close the album with an epic 10 plus minute track with the title track. Another solid release from this band in my opinion. I still need to give it some listens to point out certain songs though.

Bokor - Anomia1

Bokor play a brand of progressive metal that features mainly clean vocals. They have a more hard rock feeling to their music, but they still implement some harsh vocals every now and then. Again, I need to give it some more listens (damn that Sigh release! tongue.gif) to let these songs give me a decent feeling for their music. There is a pretty good mixture of tunes on this release though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jul 5 2007, 06:24 AM
Post #7

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh man, I just got the new Symphony X album, Paradise Lost. As would be expected of a concept album about the story Paradise Lost, it kicks boat.

Michael Romeo plays some amazing riffs that are much harder and heavier than their earlier works (and they were heavy) and he also mixes in some really fast and solo-ey ones as well. (think 'Inferno' style) The composition overall is simply amazing. Russel Allen's vocals have become a lot more aggressive, moving towards the Metallica-ish growl rather than the Maiden-type operatic sound. He still does typical Allen, but mixed in with the new. It's great. There's even a nice bass solo at the beginning of my favorite track on the album, 'Domination'. Other noteworthy tracks include (but are not limited to) 'Set the World on Fire (The Lie of Lies)' 'The Serpent's Kiss' 'Paradise Lost' and 'Eve of Seduction'. To be honest, they're all excellent, and it's an album to listen to from start to finish. Symphony X's best yet in my opinion. (And I've been a Symphony X fan for a long time) Go pick it up. Now.

--------------------
"Its when murder is justice that martyrs are made"
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jul 5 2007, 06:38 AM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

Yea, I've only stumbled upon Symphony X just recently and after checking out some sample songs from the new CD, I must say I want to get my hands on it. Unfortunately since I've been spending a lot of money recently I might have to wait a little bit before I go out and get it. For all I know I might need to order it. And I probably won't be doing that until the new Candlemass comes out, because I very much want to get my hands on that CD.

I'd just like to mention that my final CD order came in today. They're a band called Pale Divine and their newest CD is called "Cemetery Earth". The band plays "traditional doom metal" in the vein of Black Sabbath and more closely Pentagram(though I haven't actually listen to this band, I just see it a lot in reviews). Guitar fans will be pleased because there's a freaking truckload of guitar leads and solos on this CD, it would make Iommi jealous tongue.gif or it just might inspire him to write the most amazing doom solo ever written.

The singing is another strong point as there's a smooth, confident approach to them yet they contain enough of an edge for the metalheads out there. After just one listen I'm very pleased with this one. The only thing is that they're on a small, Swedish label called I Hate Records, so it might be a bit difficult to get your hands on this one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
milanius
post Jul 5 2007, 10:51 AM
Post #9

Agent

Listening to Joy Division - CLOSER LP ohmy.gif omigosh, Angst Alert!

--------------------

Petar II Petrovic Njegos
(1813-1851)
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jul 7 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

Woo! Saturday! I guess ya'll know what that means, eh? Time for my weekend listening list!

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
Pale Divine - Cemetary Earth
Solitude Aeturnus - Beyond the Crimson Horizon
Solitude Aeturnus - Alone
Warning - Watching From a Distance
The Gates of Slumber - Suffer No Guilt
The Sword - Age of Winters

Today's theme: pure, unadulterated DOOM!! This is my entire, pure doom metal albums (so it doesn't have death metal vocals or hardcore influences), though I could've possibly added Green Carnation's "Light of Day, Day of Darkness" album to this as well. But all these albums have that old school, heavy metal vibe to it. It's going to be a good day I think! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lord Revan
post Jul 8 2007, 02:24 PM
Post #11

Master
Group Icon

Well, like I've said before, I don't usually listen to anything other than instrumentals, so I've only taken to one "singing-song"

Henry's Death - Stealth
I Hope You Dance - Lee Ann Womack
The Day We Fight Back - Independance Day
The Final Charge - The Last Samurai
Battle Of Heroes - SW Episode III: ROTS
Bounty Hunter - Advent Rising
Muse - Advent Rising
Fortified Strength - Advent Rising
Canyon Encounter - (once again) Advent Rising
The Aurelian Movement - Advent Rising
Opening Suite - Halo
Tin Man Will Prosecute - Stealth
The Pilots' Theme - Stealth

Yeah, all but one are instrumentals. And all but one are from movie and videogame albums. Oh well, it's music and I listen to it. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Jul 8 2007, 04:15 PM
Post #12

Mage
Group Icon

Right now I'm listening to the album Disclaimer, by Seether. Really good stuff. Stumbled across them a while ago when a friend recommended a couple of their songs.

--------------------
IPB Image

D�anaim smaoineamh, d� bhr� sin, t�im ann - Descartes

Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. - G.K. Chesterton

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jul 14 2007, 04:04 PM
Post #13

Master
Group Icon

Woo! Here's Saturday's Weekend Listening List :

The Sword - Age of Winters
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Silverstein - Discovering the Waterfront
Silverstein - Arrivals & Departures
Minsk - The Ritual Fires of Abandonment
Swallow the Sun - Hope
Soilwork - Stabbing the Drama
Cellador - Enter Deception

Today's theme: nothing really, just stuff that isn't currently on my iPod (excluding that second Silverstein CD, it's new so I wanted to give it some extra listens). I think I know what next's week theme is going to be, but it depends on whether or not I buy the tickets or not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toroabok
post Jul 14 2007, 05:20 PM
Post #14

Agent

This is what I've been listening to lately...

Panic! at the Disco - This is Halloween
Panic! at the Disco - I Write Sins Not Tragedies
Panic! at the Disco - But It's Better If You Do
Marilyn Manson - This is Halloween
Marilyn Manson - Deformogrophy ( sp.? )
Marilyn Manson - The Beautiful People
Marilyn Manson - Wormboy
Marilyn Manson - 1998
Marilyn Manson - Irresponsible Hate Anthem
Marilyn Manson - Tourniquet

Yeah, I've been having a craving for Marilyn Manson, so that's what I've been listening to mostly...

Heh... I just noticed that those are all from his Antichrist Superstar album except for This is Halloween.

--EDIT--

I'm bored, so I'll keep you guys posted on what I'm listening to...

Trivium - Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr
Tokio Hotel - Durch Den Monsun
Tenacious D - Tribute
Daft Punk - Make love
Lifehouse - Hanging by a Moment
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
Pantera - Walk
Ozzy Osbourne - Bark at the Moon
Panic! at the Disco - I Write Sins Not Tragedies
Panic! at the Disco - Build God, Then We'll Talk
Panic! at the Disco - But It's Better If You Do
Panic! at the Disco - Lying Is The Most Fun...
Tokio Hotel - Monsoon

This post has been edited by Toroabok: Jul 15 2007, 01:44 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
milanius
post Jul 15 2007, 03:13 PM
Post #15

Agent

Prodigy - Spitfire [Nightbreed Remix]
Prodigy - Spitfire [FakeIDs Evolution]
Prodigy - Girls [Idiotech Remix]
Prodigy - Hot Ride [Poj Mix]

humm, remixes... emot-ninja1.gif

This post has been edited by milanius: Jul 15 2007, 03:13 PM

--------------------

Petar II Petrovic Njegos
(1813-1851)
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jul 21 2007, 03:53 PM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

Here's Saturday's list:

Insomnium - In the Halls of Awaiting
Insomnium - Above the Weeping World
Swallow the Sun - Hope
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
Danko Jones - Born a Lion
The River - Drawing Down the Sun
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain

I'm listening to the first four CDs because I just recently got my concert tickets that have those three bands playing. I'm very excited about that show. Plus I can't wait to listen to The River CD because I've been trying to find that CD for nearly 8 months now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
treydog
post Jul 22 2007, 11:47 PM
Post #17

Master
Group Icon

My Sunday Random 10:

St. Louis Blues March- Glenn Miller
Little Rain- George Thorogood
Heart Attack and Vine- Tom Waits
Tennessee- Splitlip Rayfield
Oh Lonesome Me- The Kentucky Headhunters
Rock and Roll Music- Chuck Berry
Boom Boom- John Lee Hooker
Creature from the Black Lagoon- Dave Edmunds
Trouble No More- Allman Brothers
Gloria- Van Morrison

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Ibis
post Jul 23 2007, 02:19 AM
Post #18

Mouth
Group Icon

Listening to "Waiting to Exhale" on tv, not really watching ... playing Vanguard.

--------------------
IPB Image <--- Moon Cookiies for all who join @ TESFU

+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Jul 23 2007, 09:08 AM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

Hmm.... I'm listening to Reel Big Fish's Greatest Hits & More Cd....

More specifically, Ban the Tube Top biggrin.gif

If i stay up much longer another Cd of their's will probably come on, unless i put on some Mighty Mighty Bosstones (those guys are killer awesome just so you should know. Go to You Tube and search them if you've never heard of them)

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
milanius
post Jul 23 2007, 04:02 PM
Post #20

Agent

Massive Attack - Essential Mix.

Courtesy of a good buddie! smile.gif

--------------------

Petar II Petrovic Njegos
(1813-1851)
+Quote Post

11 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:34 PM