7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lothran the Nordic Dunmer, A recap
Lopov
post Oct 23 2015, 01:43 PM
Post #21

Master
Group Icon

You should have sent the latest story to Bethesda, telling them that to prevent the Daedric invasion the quest after the tutorial should tell you to keep the Amulet at all times, and everything'll be fine, instead of directing us to Jauffre and causing oblivion.. bigsmile.gif Lothran is the best proof for that. I liked the part where you mention that guards keep a close eye on Lothran's quarters when he's gone.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 23 2015, 11:01 PM
Post #22

Ancient
Group Icon

I think the Kvatch gate is open right from the start of the game, so if you pass it on your way toward Anvil regardless of anything you have or haven't done in the game, the little guy will run out to you and yell about the Daedra and Oblivion gate destroying K'vatch.

I normally wait until level 17 before I go near Kvatch for that reason; and yes - I also keep the Amulet of Kings until I am ready to do the main quest; then turn it in.

If I'm not mistaken, taking Martin to Weynon Priory triggers the attack there, and taking Martin to Cloud Ruler Temple triggers the opening of the random Oblivion gates all across Cyrodiil.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 24 2015, 08:05 AM
Post #23

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Oct 23 2015, 02:43 PM) *

You should have sent the latest story to Bethesda, telling them that to prevent the Daedric invasion the quest after the tutorial should tell you to keep the Amulet at all times, and everything'll be fine, instead of directing us to Jauffre and causing oblivion.. bigsmile.gif

I think what they should have done is put the invasion on a timer, though Iīm glad they didnīt tongue.gif

QUOTE(mALX @ Oct 24 2015, 12:01 AM) *

If I'm not mistaken, taking Martin to Weynon Priory triggers the attack there, and taking Martin to Cloud Ruler Temple triggers the opening of the random Oblivion gates all across Cyrodiil.

Yeah, thatīs my understanding too. Not that it matters now, though. After all, the emperor did give Lothran the amulet which shows great trust, and Lothran isnīt one to let someone like that down biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 24 2015, 01:41 PM
Post #24

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 24 2015, 03:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Lopov @ Oct 23 2015, 02:43 PM) *

You should have sent the latest story to Bethesda, telling them that to prevent the Daedric invasion the quest after the tutorial should tell you to keep the Amulet at all times, and everything'll be fine, instead of directing us to Jauffre and causing oblivion.. bigsmile.gif

I think what they should have done is put the invasion on a timer, though Iīm glad they didnīt tongue.gif

QUOTE(mALX @ Oct 24 2015, 12:01 AM) *

Yeah, thatīs my understanding too. Not that it matters now, though. After all, the emperor did give Lothran the amulet which shows great trust, and Lothran isnīt one to let someone like that down biggrin.gif

Yeah, but I love those random oblivion gates opening up, I just don't want to do the main quest till level 17 (for the Transcendent Sigil Stones). And when I used to open up the gates early on and then wait to level 17 to tackle them, people were being found dead all over Cyrodiil. That Leyawiin Count's wife; her horse; some young guy in Water's Edge, Mazoga, etc - and many more, all dead in the road. It was awful, you couldn't walk anywhere without the sky reddening. It was frightening to play - genuinely felt like there was a crisis in Cyrodiill.

Well actually, that was the most real game ever, but finding all those people dead was awful - especially Mazoga and that poor paint horse. So I started hanging on to the Amulet and then starting the crisis when I was ready to tackle it.

(And of course that meant holding off doing that Malacath quest till then, since when those Bleak Mine Guards stalk me I want to be able to run them through Oblivion gates and make them fight Daedra, lol).

This post has been edited by mALX: Oct 24 2015, 05:15 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 24 2015, 05:04 PM
Post #25

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Oct 24 2015, 08:41 AM) *

..., people were being found dead all over Cyrodiil. That Leyawiin Count's wife; ...

You've almost persuaded me that's a good idea! tongue.gif

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 24 2015, 05:13 PM
Post #26

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 24 2015, 12:04 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Oct 24 2015, 08:41 AM) *

..., people were being found dead all over Cyrodiil. That Leyawiin Count's wife; ...

You've almost persuaded me that's a good idea! tongue.gif

laugh.gif Just to see the Countess dead? rollinglaugh.gif

This post has been edited by mALX: Oct 24 2015, 05:14 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 30 2015, 10:08 AM
Post #27

Spam Meister
Group Icon

How Lothran became a guard

As many already know, Lothran is an honorary guard of Bruma who during the coldest parts of the winter helps out patrolling the town and protecting the North gate. But how did he actually become a guard, and an honorary to boot?

The answer can be found when Lothran first came to Bruma in 2007 in search of someone named Ongar the World-Weary who apparently could help him get rid of "hot" merchandise other merchants wouldnīt touch. Thatīs why Bruma was the first town Lothran visited after leaving the Imperial City; he needed Ongar, and he needed the Septims he could give him.

Upon spending a little time in Bruma, Lothran was greeted by a representative of the castle who gave him some money as a sign of good will and asked the Dunmer to follow him back to the castle to see the Countess. After such a handsome gift Lothran couldnīt say no, and off they went to see Narina Carvain. Apparently she needed someone to bring her a lost artifact from somewhere in the cold mountains very close to the Skyrim border. Lothran was at this time still not the most confident fighter and he was far away from being a Warlock, but he accepted the task. He loved the sense of adventure and simply couldnīt resist the prospect suggested to him. Plus, he would get even more Septims with which he planned to buy a house. So off he went, deep into the cold mountains to look for the artifact lost in history..

It was indeed an adventure traveling into Pale Pass and the old ruin. I can still get the same feeling now as I got back then just thinking about it. Lothran and I always travel back there when itīs close to Christmas, and we spend a few days on site hunting ogres and reminisce happy.gif

Lothran found the artifact deep within the old ruin and he was able to pick it up when the ghost commander holding it vanished after seeing the orders to retreat, and the ruin was finally quiet after all that time. When Lothran got back to Bruma and the Countess she was overjoyed to add the artifact to her Ayleid collection. She was in fact so grateful she appointed Lothran an Honorary Guard of the Town of Bruma for his efforts! He was a bit confused first what that meant and what he was supposed to do, but apparently it didnīt really mean anything. He didnīt have to do anything if he didnīt want to, but the title gave him the opportunity if he wanted.

At first Lothran didnīt do much with his "title". He roamed the lands and explored as much as he could. But eventually when he had spent a few winters in Bruma he felt like it was time to make a contribution to the town he loved so much, and so he donned the official Bruma Guard armour and began to patrol the town. He even has his own quarters in the guard barracks where he keeps his armour and weapon, so he has very much settled into his role now. Not to mention the town, as 2007 was also the year when he bought his house there, his first house to be exact. He really didnīt have to think twice about it and had already made up his mind to buy it when the steward approached him with the gift and the request to go see the Countess.
Lothran has many friends within the Bruma guard and as he help them, they are glad to help him by keeping an eye on his house when heīs not there.

The Dunmer has indeed come a long way. Thanks for reading!

Lothranīs beloved cabin
The roaring fire
Chatting away in the barracks
Talking to the citizens is a big part of the job

This post has been edited by mirocu: Oct 30 2015, 11:50 AM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Lopov
post Oct 30 2015, 01:58 PM
Post #28

Master
Group Icon

Becoming an honorary guard of Bruma is nice continuation of Lothran's adventures in Pale Pass.

The only Dunmer guard in Cyrodiil looks good in his Bruma armor and looks like that Imperials like him, judging by smiles on their faces. Nice to see him in his cabin, warmed by the fireplace.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 30 2015, 02:22 PM
Post #29

Councilor
Group Icon

But does being an honorary guard allow him to say "Stop right there, criminal scum!" ?

When I was making my Falkreath town for the mods, I wanted Nord guards, but found that only Imperials could say the lines, so Falkreath got Imperial guards too. Burd's a Nord, but he only gets Captain lines, not guard ones.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 30 2015, 04:43 PM
Post #30

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Oct 30 2015, 01:58 PM) *

Becoming an honorary guard of Bruma is nice continuation of Lothran's adventures in Pale Pass.

I think so too smile.gif

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 30 2015, 02:22 PM) *

But does being an honorary guard allow him to say "Stop right there, criminal scum!" ?

Pretty sure he has to convert to Imperial first, eh? laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 30 2015, 05:00 PM
Post #31

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 30 2015, 11:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Lopov @ Oct 30 2015, 01:58 PM) *

I think so too smile.gif

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 30 2015, 02:22 PM) *

Pretty sure he has to convert to Imperial first, eh? laugh.gif

Not necessarily. If you use a voice mod on Lothran, you can use a BSA Browser to open up Bethesda's Imperial Male voice files, find the "Halt right there, Criminal Scum!" ones and pull them out. Place them in various suitable trigger files (like "Combat Start" - so if someone attacks him he would yell it out, etc). - and Voila, Lothran is saying it.

It may not fit in with his other voiced sayings though, laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 30 2015, 05:22 PM
Post #32

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I donīt think heīd be too happy speaking in tounges so I better not do that laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 30 2015, 06:15 PM
Post #33

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 30 2015, 12:22 PM) *

I donīt think heīd be too happy speaking in tounges so I better not do that laugh.gif

Imperial tongues? laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 30 2015, 06:54 PM
Post #34

Paladin
Group Icon

What a wonderfully nostalgic recount of how Lothie became an honorary guard! He certainly earned the title! And some great pictures in Bruma. I remember how worried Buffy was about first visiting the Nordic elf in Bruma - until she learned that his fireplace had been fixed! tongue.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 30 2015, 10:01 PM
Post #35

Spam Meister
Group Icon

And that he had bear pelts to lend out laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 4 2015, 02:27 AM
Post #36

Councilor
Group Icon

How fun to finally learn how Lothran became an honorary guard of Bruma. I never knew!

Great pics of Lothran in his northern home. My favorite is the one where he’s talking to Regner. Thank you for sharing these screens and Lothran’s story. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 4 2015, 08:30 AM
Post #37

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Thanks yourself for reading, Grits happy.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 6 2015, 10:07 AM
Post #38

Spam Meister
Group Icon

The Downsizing

Since the beginning Lothran has picked up everything heīs found, as an opportunist he thought it could either be sold or even used so he didnīt want to leave anything behind. This led to his inventory clogging up with many weapons, shields and potions. He also enjoyed reading and always carried the town guide books with him.

Thing was though, around 2008 he was quite wealthy and didnīt need to collect lots of things to sell, he had the weapons he wanted to use and he knew the books by heart, but he was still carrying everything with him. His encumbarance was well over 100 at all times and for no reason, really. He also began to dislike being so rich. He was an elf of the people, not a noble or businessman, and this over-filled gold pouch was actually more of a burden than help.

Then one sunny day he was walking the streets of Anvil when he came upon a crate by a house. He stopped, looked at it, and then he was rushed with a feeling of just wanting to get rid of everything. And thus he took most of his stuff and put it in that crate; weapons, armours, books, repair hammers, several hundred lockpicks etc. Then he went to Morvynīs Peacemakers and bought the most expensive weapon he had, then sold it back to him. Then bought it again, and sold it. After repeating this a few times he then left the shop with the weapon and put it in the same crate as all the other stuff and man, did he feel lighter! smile.gif

Since then Lothranīs encumbarance has been about 30 instead of 160. He no longer carries more weapons than he uses, no excess armour, no guide books, no repair hammers and he only has like 20 lockpicks instead of 300. His gold pieces no longer amounts to over 200.000 but a mere 5000 or thereabout. It can rise to 10.000 on occasion.

Gamerīs note: I didnīt want an über rich character that never needed to collect more gold and that had everything he needed with him all the time, and thus this had to be done. I wanted him to get closer to who he was in the beginning; someone who needed to go look for things, someone who needed adventures. And evenly important, someone who wasnīt stinking rich. That really didnīt suit him at all.

I have never regretted doing this and I think, honestly, that Lothran is pretty happy too wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Nov 6 2015, 09:34 PM
Post #39

Paladin
Group Icon

I agree with Lothran. It seems more fun to conveniently 'lose' things and remain perpetually of modest means. And it is wonderfully liberating to clear a dungeon and come out with no more than you went in with except maybe a couple more gold coins and a couple less arrows. smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 7 2015, 09:31 PM
Post #40

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Nov 6 2015, 09:34 PM) *

it is wonderfully liberating to clear a dungeon and come out with no more than you went in with except maybe a couple more gold coins and a couple less arrows. smile.gif

Well, he does want to come out with a few Flawless gems, but thatīs about it biggrin.gif

Itīs also fun having the need to sometimes collect stuff to sell in order to finance a new spell or just reload an enchanted item.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:50 PM