Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy - Book 3, We're Having a Crisis Here!
Lopov
post May 22 2020, 09:48 AM
Post #161

Master
Group Icon

Very good! Have you been there or are you familiar with it because of the palace?

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 22 2020, 06:09 PM
Post #162

Ancient
Group Icon

I have never been. I just know it from reading Roman history, and seeing pictures. It is a great place to build an Imperial palace.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 27 2020, 12:39 PM
Post #163

Paladin
Group Icon

Previously- Buffy met with Count Bravil and relayed Martin Septim’s plans as well as his request for aide to Bruma. When the subject of Kvatch came up, the Count launched a tirade against Savlian Matius. Buffy lost her temper and strongly defended the valor and choices of the Hero of Kvatch. Before the Count could react to having his views openly challenged in his own court, the meeting was interrupted with news that an Oblivion Gate had just opened right outside the city’s north gate. Simultaneously, Buffy sensed Superian’s fear. All thoughts of the tense situation in the throne room evaporated as Buffy raced out of the castle to ensure the safety of her precious mare.

SubRosa- Thanks for noting the interlude with Dawn; we’ll lift the veil for Buffy about the butterfly in a couple episodes. Even though Buffy’s reaction was somewhat restrained, her impertinent words were still quite risky, given the power and hostility wielded by Count Terentius in his own court. The Oblivion Gate’s fortuitous timing likely kept Buffy out of Bravil’s dungeon – or worse.

Grits- I’m so glad that ‘Well, stuff me gently,’ caused its desired reaction. It is a rather unique saying that Buffy borrowed from Mrs Acadian and I find elegantly endearing. I too spit tea the first time I heard it. tongue.gif I slightly preceded the guard’s notification about the Oblivion Gate by a warning from Superian as a good opportunity to show the mystical bond between the elf and her dragon-mare.

Lopov- Buffy had good reason to be proud of her restraint in the face of insults to her own morals and character. Insulting her late Savlian, however, was predictably more than she could tolerate. As ever, when it comes to protecting those she loves, Buffy never counts the cost. You are correct that one of the reasons for the Countess Alessia execution subplot back in Leyawiin was to support this scene with Count Terentius.

Episode 24

Soldiers, backed up by townsfolk armed with axes or spears, had formed a ragged skirmish line between the open Oblivion Gate and the approach to the bridge that provided access into Bravil. Defenders outnumbered Daedra at this point and the defense seemed to be holding. Arrows, from atop the city’s north wall flew over my head to engage foes as they emerged from the Deadlands. As I sped across the bridge I noted that the defenders’ positioning also provided some protection for my destination – the stable.

I met Antoine at the corral’s entrance, pitchfork in hand and defiantly ready to protect the horses entrusted to his care. Isabeau was furiously tossing bucketfuls of water onto the stable’s wooden roof and walls to help ward the facility from errant daedric embers or sparks.

The horses were clustered together in one corner of the paddock. I considered asking Acadian to recall our dragon-mare to safety within me, but as quickly rejected the idea; she was not the only horse in danger. Button, the chapel’s draft shire was in clearly in charge though her eyes displayed fear. Aetherius was near panic and reared as I approached. Although Superian was the youngest of the three and fidgeting with uncertain energy, she also had seen more than one Oblivion Gate. She settled quite a bit as soon as she saw me, but it took a calming spell to keep Aetherius’ front hooves on the ground.

“Here, get these on and we’ll take them into the city.” The urgent voice was that of Mara’s living saint, Olava. We quickly had halters on all three horses and led them out of the corral.

Passing Antoine, I assured him, “Olava and I will get the horses inside the city and calmed down.” We then led our frightened charges back across the bridge. Focused on getting my mare to safety, I barely noticed the blue velvet gown of Delphine Jend as she breezed past us on her way out of the city.

When we reached the gate, the young Imperial soldier on duty protested, “You can’t bring those animals into -“

Olava cut him off. “We’re taking these frightened horses to safety. Unless you want the Goddess of Fertility to shrivel your stones to raisins, you’ll let us pass!”

In the chaos around us, he probably didn’t notice the subtle emerald glow to my hand as I gently touched his arm and added, “Please?”

He did as we asked.

Once inside the walls, Olava turned to me. “Buffy, get back out there and earn your keep as the City of Mara’s knight. I’ll tether the horses behind the chapel.”

I nodded, handed her Superian’s lead and ran back out the gate.

On the skirmish line, Gaius Prentus seemed to be in charge. “If you’ll shield me with your steel,” I offered, “my bow and spells are at your service.”

“Aye, we could use the help, Buffy.”

My potent illusion spells quickly proved their worth as I was able to immobilize or command Daedra almost as soon as they exited the flaming portal. That made them easy kills for Bravil’s defenders. “Where’s Viera?” I asked.

“When there’s a threat, Count Terentius’ standing orders are for Captain Lerus and Fathis Aren to serve as his personal bodyguards.” The soldier spat on the body of a dead scamp at his feet. “Damn waste of a skilled officer and powerful wizard if you ask me.”

A chilling thought struck as I looked around. “Where’s Delphind Jend? I saw her coming out here.”

Gaius winced and pointed toward the stone maw belching flames from the Deadlands.

Both hands found my hips. “You let her go in there by herself?!?”

The soldier replied sheepishly. “I ordered her to stand down. . . .”

I caught myself. “I’m sorry, Gaius, you’re right. I don’t know anyone who can stop Delphine.”

“I heard you closed one of these things?”

“Three,” I replied absently as I realized Delphine didn’t even have any water. My thoughts were interrupted as I cast an emerald swirl of magic to immobilize an emerging daedroth. The arrow I loosed to chase my spell was but one of half a dozen from the city walls behind us that dropped the beast before it could recover from my illusion.

“Buffy,” said Gaius, “now that the situation out here has stabilized somewhat, do you think I should send in a team to try and find Delphine?”

“No,” I replied adamantly, “anyone not in physical contact with her when she removes the sigil stone will perish. During one of Guildmagister Kud-Ei’s weekly training sessions, I described how to close an Oblivion Gate. Delphine was there so she knows what she’s in for. If the gate still stands after two days, we can assume she’s failed and I will go in to try and close it.”

He frowned. “So all we can do is wait?”

“Our city and its defenders are counting on your leadership to hold this line.” I touched his arm gently. “Look, Gaius, Delphine is the most skilled destruction mage I know. If anyone can power their way through the Deadlands, it is she.”

“I understand that one of my mages is inside that thing?” I turned toward the Argonian voice to see Kud-Ei. Towering above her was my guildmate Carandial. After Gaius and I both nodded, she continued to the soldier, “Don’t feel badly. Not even I can control Delphine when she sets her mind to a challenge. I can assure you the rest of my guild is better at taking direction. Buffy has told me that closing an Oblivion Gate can take up to a day or two so I’ve organized my mages into pairs to augment your line for eight hours at a time. Carandial and I are your first shift.”

“Thank you, Magister,” replied Gaius. “The help is most welcome.”

Carandial said, “Ardaline’s working overtime so we can keep you stocked with potions of healing and resist fire.” To emphasize his point, the Altmer held up a bag that softly tinkled from the sound of many vials. He then turned to me and added, “We passed Olava near the chapel; thanks for helping to get my gelding to safety.”

“My mages can do field healing,” the Argonian’s soothing voice continued. “Mara’s high priestess assures me the chapel is standing by for any wounded who need more involved or prolonged care.”

Soon, Gaius Prentus and Kud-Ei had things organized into a sustainable defense to protect the city.

Several townsfolk brought food provided by the city’s two taverns out to us. Nilawen moved slowly through the line of defenders with a heavily laden hand cart, offering water and arrows to those in need. I was grateful for the self-replenishing magic of my quiver as I waved off Nilawen’s offer to fill it. The Bosmer blew stray black strands of hair from her tired face. “Daenlin is with the other archers up on the north wall, Buffy. He said to tell you he thought you’d be safer and more effective up there with him.”

I shook my head. “Daenlin’s right about archers, but my spells are mostly illusion. Their slow rate of travel does better against moving foes at closer range.”

As I was wolfing down the ham and flatbread that a kind serving girl from one of the taverns had given me, Kud-Ei approached. “I’m glad to see you eating something, Buffy. As soon as you finish that, you must sleep.”

“Buf, Maghiphter. . . .”

“Don’t ‘But Magister’ me, Journeyman. You and Henantier are the guild’s next team on duty, and I will not have a tired mage in charge of the guild's small detachment out here.”

I gulped as I emptied my mouth. “In charge?”

“Yes, Henantier is quite skilled, but you outrank him and have vastly more experience combating Daedra.”

I nodded obediently. “I’ll sleep in the stable, so I’ll be close.”

“That will be fine,” she replied. “I’ll wake you for your watch.”

As I curled up with a blanket in a dark corner of the hay loft, comforting smells of the stable battled with the rolling sound of thunder and occasional scream of a dying Daedra. Fatigue must have won however, for Kud-Ei woke me from a sound sleep. “Carandial and I are returning to the guild to rest now. Henantier has joined several fresh soldiers on the defensive perimeter. Caccian Apinia is in command while Gaius Prentus and some of the other soldiers are trying to grab some sleep in the guardhouse. Aryarie and Ita Rienus will relieve you in eight hours if Delphine is still inside the Oblivion Gate by then.”

I was disheveled and stiff, but adequately rested. The eerie red light of the Oblivion sky made it difficult to tell if it was still daylight or if night had fallen. As I joined the line, I exchanged grim smiles with Caccian, Henantier and the others on duty.

And so our vigil continued, as Daedra continued to trickle from the Deadlands at the rate of three or four per hour.

It was nearly a score of foes later when we heard and felt a low rumble.

The flaming portal flickered, then began to crumble. A burst of white light engulfed the entire structure momentarily blinding me. Just as quickly, the brilliance faded to reveal the gate was closed. Huddled on the ground in front of the broken stones was the figure of a woman in shreds of blue – sigil stone clutched to her breast.

This post has been edited by Acadian: May 27 2020, 06:41 PM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post May 27 2020, 02:03 PM
Post #164

Councilor
Group Icon

And now we all want to know, did her enemies explode? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
macole
post May 27 2020, 05:27 PM
Post #165

Mouth
Group Icon

Cheers for Delphine!

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post May 27 2020, 06:00 PM
Post #166

Master
Group Icon

I agree with ghastley, how many enemies exploded inside that Gate? tongue.gif

It was very interesting to see this from the defenders' point of view. Julian always took it on herself to go into those Gates on her own, so we never had the opportunity to see how such defenses could be organized. Very well thought out, and my old pilus is nodding her head quite sagely.

I look forward to Delphine's debrief!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 27 2020, 06:37 PM
Post #167

Ancient
Group Icon

That was a thoughful touch on your part to note that Isabeau was soaking the roof of the stable to dissuade fire from an errant spark taking root there. They clearly don't have the fireproof wood and thatch buildings that people in Skyrim do, which even dragon breath cannot set on fire...

Nice to see both Button and Olava again too!

Buffy can be quite charming, when she casts a certain spell with a subtle green glow.

I think you would have be fire proof, lightning proof, and frost proof to stop Delphine...

This episode really is a nice re acquaintance of all our old friends from Bravil. I note that everyone is coming together and pitching in, without the aid or direction of the Count.

“Buf, Maghiphter. . . .”
This was just adorable! smile.gif

We have seen what it is like to go inside an Oblivion Gate and shut it plenty of times. This was a welcome example of showing us what that is like for the people waiting outside.

I imagine Delphjne's first words will be: "Look what they've done to my gown!"

nit:
Unless you want the Goddess of Fertility to shrivel your stones to raisons, you’ll let us pass!”
I am thinking you meant raisins?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post May 30 2020, 03:01 PM
Post #168

Master
Group Icon

You did a good job by mentioning various residents of Bravil and beyond, and described their roles in the battle this side of Deadlands. Like SubRosa, I like the description of Isabeau making sure that a doesn't catch her house and stables.

Even the guy in charge of watching over the gates to the Shivering Isles, has come to help! laugh.gif Nice to see that he still retains his sanity.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 3 2020, 12:47 PM
Post #169

Paladin
Group Icon

Previously- While Buffy was helping to get Superian and the other horses to safety from an Oblivion Gate threatening Bravil, her guildmate Delphine Jend charged into the Daedric portal alone to close it. All Buffy and the other defenders could do was kill Daedra exiting the gate as they waited and hoped for the renowned destruction mage’s success. Eventually, the gate rumbled, flared up and closed. When the smoke cleared, they saw Delphine huddled on the ground with the sigil stone.

ghastley- Funny you should mention Delphine’s famous Enemies Explode spell. More on that coming up today!

macole- Though Delphine’s skills and tactics are very different than Buffy’s, it seems they worked pretty well.

Rider- It did indeed feel quite different writing this gate closure from the outside defenders’ perspective instead of the traditional champion’s inside role.

SubRosa- Thank you for noting Buffy’s more subtle approach to coaxing that guard to change his mind. Lacking the raw power of Delphine or Olava’s ability to threaten Divine wrath, Buffy has had to develop what works of her. More about Delphine’s gown coming right up! Thanks for noting that nit so I could quickly fix it.

Lopov- I was trying to depict a community effort here and it was easy for Buffy to imagine and incorporate what many of her friends in the city that she knows so well would be doing during this threat. I believe the game only names two Bravil guards (Gaius Prentus and Viera Lerus) so Buffy has, over her long story, named and developed a couple more (like Caccian Apinia).

Episode 25

Caccian Apinia pointed to me and shouted, “Buffy, go to her! Everyone else stand fast.”

I didn’t need to be told twice as I sprinted to Delphine, still huddled on the ground where moments ago had stood an open Oblivion Gate. Sliding to a stop on my knees, I laid glowing hands upon her shoulders and said, “Be still, Guildsister, while I assess your injuries.” What little remained of her gown was singed, ripped and marked with the stains of soot and dried sweat. The mage herself was uninjured, save minor burns and bruises.

“How do I silence this damn thing?” She held up the stone, seemingly quite unharmed.

I set about retrieving several items from my magic satchel. First out was a blouse into which I wrapped the sigil stone to silence its teeth-numbing buzz. Then my hand emerged with a waterskin, which Delphine gratefully put to her parched lips. Finally, I produced my University-issued mages robe. “It seems your foes claimed most of your gown, Delphine.”

The remnants of her dress fell away as I helped the Breton to her feet. I was ready and almost instantly had her bundled into my green robe. She proclaimed, “Those foul creatures will think twice before they try again to tangle with Delphine Jend!”

“I bet they will, my friend.” Wrinkling my nose, I added, “Let’s get you to the guild’s bathing pool.” She was only slightly unsteady on her feet as, arm-in-arm, we slowly started toward the city gate. The Oblivion sky had dissipated and, from low over the eastern shore of the Niben, a new sun bathed the walls of Bravil in golden light. A cheer rose from the line of brave soldiers and townsfolk who had stood against the forces of Mehrunes Dagon and protected Mara’s city.

As we walked toward the guild, Delphine extolled the power and versatility of using destruction magic to close an Oblivion Gate. “Quite a few of those daedric fetchers seem rather resistant to fire, but it is great fun to slow them to a crawl with ice, then make them convulsively dance to shock magic.” Her descriptions were replete with illustrative hand gestures and sound effects. I imagined we made for quite a sight.

Nearing the guild, I noticed Ranaline crossing the bridge from the Lonely Suitor where she worked as a cook. I had known the quiet Altmer all my life, but the look about her now was somehow different – determined? No, malevolent! Suddenly she filled her hands with magic and cried, “For Lord Dagon!” A moment later she was clad in crimson armor of the Mythic Dawn and brandishing a black mace with red daedric markings.

Delphine and I instantly responded with spells of our own. Before my emerald swirl had closed the distance, Delphine’s magic had engulfed Ranaline in fire, ice and lightning. As the Altmer quickly succumbed to the sudden elemental onslaught, her bound daedric trappings dissipated into yellow smoke. Only a pile of ash, some charred bones and a few persistent sparks remained.

“Honestly, Buffy, I’ll never understand you and Kud-Ei with your silly illusions. Why manipulate when you can obliterate?” She breathed deeply, “Ahh, I love the smell of fire, frost and shock in the morning!”

I had to smile at Delphine’s unflappability. Gesturing at the scattered and blackened bones, I asked, “I take it that was your famous Enemies Explode spell?”

Her smug nod was cut short as two guards quickly converged on the scene. I convinced them to let the Hero of Bravil continue to our guild for a well-deserved bath and rest by volunteering to remain and answer questions myself.

Enough Bravilians had seen the attack that the soldiers quickly accepted my assertion that Ranaline had been a sleeper agent for the Mythic Dawn and was likely retaliating against Delphine for closing one of Dagon’s Oblivion Gates. Although little evidence of the high elf remained, I suggested they search her room at the Lonely Suitor and told them Delphine or I could be reached at the Mages Guild if needed. That, probably along with having served alongside them for the past day or so, seemed to satisfy the pair of guardsmen.

Superian was my next concern so I headed for the Chapel of Mara. It seemed the Blades had ferreted out Hans Black-Nail as a Mythic Dawn cultist and eliminated him, but missed Ranaline. I hoped there were no others. Although the city was safe for the moment, I suspected Boderi’s task for me to solicit aid from Bravil had been a failure. Nevertheless, I was determined to let things rest overnight and try again the next day. Perhaps having an Oblivion Gate open right in front his city might change Count Terentius’ view on the crisis.

I found my mare and her stablemates tethered together behind the chapel, being spoiled by Olava as she doled out carrots from a basket. My arms found their way around Superian’s neck. “Thank Mara, you’re safe,” I whispered into her mane.

“They had an easier day and night of it than those of you protecting the city,” remarked Mara’s living saint. “Is the stable damaged?”

“Thankfully, no,” I replied. “Let’s get them home.”

She nodded, chuckled then replied, “They’ve nearly eaten the chapel out of apples and carrots.”

We escorted our small herd through the city and settled them back in at the stable. After being admonished by Antoine about overdoing the carrots and apples, Olava and I walked together back through town.

“Buffy, have you thought about your future as a knight?”

“I have, actually,” I replied. “Why do you ask?”

“You are a brave knight with a good heart and would be wise to consider serving the Nine as a paladin.”

After a moment of surprise, I found myself curious as to whether Olava’s question was coincidental or prophetic. “What can you tell me about paladins?”

“Well,” Olava began, “they are chosen by the Nine and, as such, are blessed with certain Divine powers and abilities. That said, each paladin has a sponsor – usually the Divine who most identifies with the nature of the prospective paladin.”

“What kind of powers and abilities?” I pressed.

“Alas, I’m a living saint. You would have to ask a paladin about that. Do you know any?”

“I do,” I replied with a smile as both Acadian and Boderi came to mind. “What’s the difference between a priest, living saint and paladin?”

Olava thought for a moment. “It’s a matter of emphasis. All three freely share the tenets of our Divines with those who seek such knowledge, but that is a priest’s primary focus. Each of us who fully embrace a Divine strive to live our lives in such a way as to provide an example; that, however is the forte of living saints like myself. We all try to combat evil and intervene on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves to the best of our abilities - but that, my young knight, is what paladins specialize in.”

“Do you think Mara might consider choosing me to sponsor?” I persisted.

She nodded. “I do. One needs only see you with your mare for a moment to know how full of love you are. The people of Bravil well remember what you did for Ursanne Loche and how you took care of that pond scum Kurdan gro-Dragol. Even now, you bear the marks of fighting Daedra to protect those you love in Mara’s city.”

We stopped upon reaching the steps of Mara’s Great Chapel. “But. . . isn’t fighting inconsistent with the Goddess of Love?”

The Nord stared down at me disapprovingly. “Buffy, did someone drop you on your head? Would you say the same of a mother lion, wolf or bear as she protects her cubs?”

“I-I guess I hadn’t thought of it in those-“

She interrupted, “Having fought alongside your man at the bloody Battle for Kvatch you – better than most - surely understand the courage and righteous resolve that love can inspire.”

“I will think on your words, Living Saint of Mara.”

Fathis Ahren was waiting as I entered the guildhall. “I regret,” began the Court Mage, “that your audience with the Count yesterday did not go. . . smoothly, but I bring news I think you will be pleased to hear.” His manner was reserved but displayed no hint of hostility.

“I am also sorry the meeting did not go well,” I replied. “The Oblivion Gate was perhaps a necessary and timely interruption.”

“So it would seem. That such a portal of destruction opened right outside the very gates of his city, combined with one of your guild’s mages closing it, doubtless influenced the Count’s change of heart. He has just dispatched a contingent of guards to Bruma per the request of Martin Septim.”

I smiled. “I am certain that our future Emperor, as well as the Arch Mage, will be most appreciative and remember Bravil’s timely assistance. With Guildmagister Kud-Ei’s permission, I shall ride north early on the morrow to relay this welcome news.”

Fathis returned my smile somewhat stiffly, turned and left the guildhall.

As the door closed behind him, I heaved an audible sigh of relief.

“It sounds like congratulations are in order, Journeyman,” remarked the nearby Kud-Ei who had doubtless overheard my conversation with Fathis. “And heading back to Boderi at the University tomorrow would be an excellent idea.”

“I’m just relieved that I can avoid another encounter with Count Terentius.”

Kud-Ei chuckled softly. “Yes, I find it a prudent practice to avoid that man as much as possible.”

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jun 3 2020, 01:44 PM
Post #170

Master
Group Icon

She proclaimed, “Those foul creatures will think twice before they try again to tangle with Delphine Jend!”
and
“Ahh, I love the smell of fire, frost and shock in the morning!”
I quote these two because they capture, in just two sentences, what I consider the very essence of Delphine Jend. Not to mention they made me laugh into my tea. And no, no tea ended up on my keyboard, fortunately.

And I see Buffy was as practical and ready as ever. From handling the round buzzsaw, to slaking Delphine's thirst, to providing cover -
The remnants of her dress fell away as I helped the Breton to her feet. I was ready and almost instantly had her bundled into my green robe.
- of a questionable fashion, she was on top of everything before anyone else had a chance to realize they were saved.

And what an emphatic demonstration of Enemies Explode! I can't think of a more appropriate target for that in this instance!

And nice explanation of priest, living saint and paladin and how they all fit together. Julian was nodding along with Olava. Though she never set out to be one, Julian understands the motivations that drive paladins to do what they do.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jun 3 2020, 04:48 PM
Post #171

Councilor
Group Icon

My experience with horses was fairly limited prior to Buffy. She came out of the chute as a horse crazy elf though so my work was cut out for me as I schooled myself on horses. Wiki, Acadian Sr, mALX and Rider

No kidding. Yes it's good to have all these people and sites to learn from.

Wow, what a doochebag Count Terentius is. He's even worse than the count of Leyawiin. I love that a gate opens up just as Terentius seems about to be making some sort of move on Buffy. Isn't she from Bravil? What a warm welcome back home. indifferent.gif

Nice. Buffy casts a charm spell upon that soldier to persuade him it's okay to move those animals to safety.

No kidding. Delphine closes the Bravil gate! I did not expect that. That is a nice touch that so many names get mentioned, as though the entire town is needed to conquer this thing, not just the typical Champion of Cyrodiil.

This post has been edited by Renee: Jun 3 2020, 07:24 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 3 2020, 05:48 PM
Post #172

Ancient
Group Icon

Oh no, Delphine's clothes! ohmy.gif laugh.gif

Ranaline is a Mythic Dawn agent?!? I had no idea. Look out Buffy!

“Ahh, I love the smell of fire, frost and shock in the morning!”
It smells like... victory? wink.gif

That was a very pleasant and illuminating discussion of priests, saints, and paladins with the fair Olava. It was a nice way for you to weave some exposition into things, while still keeping the story moving.

It says a lot about the Count, that Bravil's mages would rather spend days locked in combat with Daedra than have to be in the same room as him. It is one of the many ways that you have shown the Count's lack of leadership (along with him most pointedly not being there for he duration of the gate being open).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jun 3 2020, 07:40 PM
Post #173

Master
Group Icon

I love Delphine's opening sentence - how to shut up the Sigil Stone! laugh.gif

Their walk through the town is very picturesque and they disposed of Ranaline with ease. It was probably quite unusual for Buffy that she was a sleeper, considering how long she knew her, but at least she wasn't attached to her in any way.

I was wondering if there'll be another meeting with Terentius but it's good for both parties that there won't be, I guess.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 5 2020, 06:12 PM
Post #174

Councilor
Group Icon

Episode 24: It was great to see Bravil mount an organized defense against the Oblivion Gate while Delphine closed it. There was no doubt what she was up to when she breezed past Buffy and Olava with the horses! I loved seeing Buffy at work among the defenders. Excellent response when she was put in charge! Charming and also great to see her put in command.

Episode 25: Delphine emerging from the Gate scorched nearly naked but unflappable made me cheer! Fun to see her actually explode an enemy. I just adore Olava. She does not need to sugar-coat her words, for her love shines through everything she says to Buffy.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 10 2020, 12:11 PM
Post #175

Paladin
Group Icon

Previously- After Delphine successfully closed an Oblvion Gate threatening Bravil, Buffy helped her fellow mage back to the guild. On the way they had to defend themselves from a Mythic Dawn sleeper agent. Buffy and Olava then returned the horses to the stable. Mara’s living saint encouraged Buffy to consider becoming a paladin and compared/contrasted the roles of priests, living saints and paladins. Buffy learned that Count Terentius had just sent a contingent of soldiers to support Martin in Bruma. With her mission complete in Bravil, Buffy planned to return to the Arcane University.

Rider- We had fun writing Delphine and it turned out to be a good opportunity to showcase Buffy’s nurturing nature when Delphine first came out of that gate. I also enjoyed putting some flesh on the overlap and differences among priests, living saints and paladins in Buffy’s world.

Renee- Buffy was indeed raised in Bravil but that sure didn’t seem to help her with Count Terentius. Where her familiarity there did help was making it easy to show how so many in her city joined together to help defend Bravil – despite their incompetent count.

SubRosa- I suspect Delphine has a full armoire of her signature blue velvet gowns. I’m so glad you enjoyed the lesson Olava gave Buffy relating to various roles in the clergy. I agree that Count Terentius’ actions and inactions speak volumes. Even his eventual pledge of support is likely calculated to curry future favor.

Lopov- Ranaline was indeed quite a surprise for Buffy and Delphine. Thankfully, Buffy does not have to continue her negotiations with Count Terentius.

Grits- Bravil was fun to write for exactly the reasons you mentioned: The strong but endearing personalities of Delphine & Olava as well as the opportunity for Buffy to show a gate closing from the outside for a change.

~ Part 5 – Back to the University ~

Episode 26

A yawning guard on his predawn rounds was extinguishing flickering night lanterns as I traveled the otherwise empty streets and alleys toward Bravil’s gate and stable beyond.

By the time I reached the far end of the bridge beyond the gate, Superian nickered her greeting from the stable. Shortly, the mare was fed and watered. After a light grooming and conjuring her tack, I mounted and we headed north along the Green Road.

We had not been traveling long when the eastern horizon began to brighten with the promise of a new day. I smiled as my mysterious butterfly friend appeared. Rather than happily flitting around my head, she hovered in front of us as if to block our path. I drew Superian to a stop and tilted my head. “Good morning, Dawn. Are you perhaps trying to warn me of danger ahead?”

“Good morning, my Slayer.”

I caught my breath as I immediately recognized the voice as that of the Mistress of Twilight. Before I could react she continued, “We must talk but not here.”

Suddenly, we were. . . somewhere else.

“Welcome to Moonshadow, Godchild. Take a moment to get your bearings.”

No longer a butterfly, the woman who now stood before Superian and I was slightly taller than an Imperial. She wore a black gown of layered silk chiffon that flowed easily around her. An alabaster complexion was punctuated by brilliant emerald eyes and ruby lips. Raven hair was rather severely pulled back from her forehead but fell loosely behind to the middle of her back. Her finely chiseled features were quite elfish – large eyes, high cheek bones, a rather sharp chin, and ears that rose to delicate points.

I dismounted, noting that Superian was perfectly calm as we surveyed our surroundings.

The rolling hills were beautifully carpeted in verdant grasses and trees that hung heavy with flowers - some pink and others blue. It was twilight here. Perpetually so, I imagined.

After watching me take measure of both her and the nearby area, Azura waved a hand. Magic trailed from gracefully long fingers that were adorned with perfectly manicured crimson nails. A carpet of rose petals appeared followed by a small garden table with two chairs. At her gesture, we both sat and a pair of steaming cups materialized on the table. As if taking her cue from us, Superian lowered her head and began nibbling at the lush grass around her.

I took a sip from one of the cups and smiled inwardly as I tasted bergamot tea. “You called me Godchild.” I stated.

“Yes. It is time you know several things, for they impact choices you must make.”

“My Lady, if this is about loaning your Star to Sirs Mazoga and Agronak, I know I should have consulted you first but they have desperate need of-“

“No, Godchild,” Azura interrupted, “I know my Star will be put to good use and, as ever, it will return to me when the time is right.” She smiled but her voice was firm. “Now listen.”

I nodded.

“You were in her womb when your mother beseeched me to accept the role of godmother. Perhaps she knew that she would not live to see you fully grown. I reluctantly agreed, for I knew nothing of children or their needs. I could already sense the duality in your tiny spirit, however, and was. . . intrigued.”

’I was with you even then, and can attest that Azura speaks truly about her conversation with your mother,’ silently informed Acadian.

“I watched you grow, often taking the form of the butterfly you call Dawn. My observations at first were inspired by simple curiosity about something so foreign to me as a child but, gradually, I began to experience unfamiliar distressful feelings when you skinned your knee or were taunted for being an elf by the human children that populated Bravil. Once you were grown, you will recall that I arranged to reveal myself to you at my shrine to the north.”

“Yes,” I replied. “I released the spirits of some of your followers that had been held by the curse of vampirism.”

She nodded. “And in the process, I gave you what I thought was a gift. I made you a Slayer.” Azura dropped her gaze from my eyes and stared down at her hands. “I realize now that was a mistake. My own desires and hopes for you, combined with my lack of experience with children. . . I should have observed and learned more carefully as you grew up.” When she looked up again to meet my gaze, the softness in her green eyes was that of a caring friend. . . or godmother rather than a Daedra Lord. “Though I did so for what I believed was your own good and protection, forcing that role upon you simply drove you away from it – and me.”

“Perhaps had I known you were my godmother. . . or maybe if you had given me a choice. . . . The role has always frightened me, for if I can find vampires, they can find me!”

She looked beyond me now and I thought there was sadness in her eyes. “Buffy, you have evolved in ways that I did not anticipate. You no longer dance between darkness and light; rather, you are well on your way to becoming a child of light. Your search for a Divine sponsor to help you become a paladin of the Nine is. . . appropriate.”

“I knew nothing of how you felt about me or your interest in my childhood. I am told my sponsor must be a Divine, but you are equally beyond the influence of mortals. If you can be my godmother, could you not also sponsor me as a paladin?”

Azura smiled but shook her head. “Paladins are the purview of the Nine. I cannot grant you the powers you need to fight evil for, as a Daedra Lord, many would consider me evil.” A single upright finger stayed my protest before she continued, “They would not necessarily be wrong, for I can be a vengeful deity and there is no room for that on what I now believe to be your path.”

“I don’t believe you are evil, Godmother.”

She dipped her head slightly and smiled briefly. “The fact remains that I have caused numerous cruel things to happen to satisfy my whims.”

“I’ve made mistakes too, Godmother. I have tortured both bandits and necromancers, and even savored making them pay for their atrocities. I realize now that such actions made me little better than they. I have learned the difference between vengeful retribution and righteous justice.”

“Spoken like the paladin I expect you shall become. Like the older paladin who dwells within you. My vindictive deeds are more . . . sweeping in consequence. In a fit of pique when a Dwemer mage attempted to trick me, I extinguished his entire race, leaving behind only perpetual mystery regarding their demise.” A winged twilight floated by with a teapot and refilled our cups. “You mentioned my Star. There will come a time you have not yet visited when a necromancer will attempt to corrupt it to his purpose. I shall respond by collapsing the ground under his coastal city – spilling most of its buildings and inhabitants into the icy Sea of Ghosts. Vengeance is part of my nature.”

“My Lady, if you can learn to love a small elf as your godchild, perhaps there are more aspects of your nature that can evolve as well?”

She shook her head. “Now you sound like Mara and Kynareth. I am a Daedra Lord. I cannot help you progress along what I now believe to be your path. A path that only the Divines can open for you.”

“You speak to Mara and Kynareth?” I asked, dumbfounded.

“I do. And I have no doubt that someday you shall as well,” she replied. “Which brings me to something else I must tell you.”

“There’s more?”

“Buffy, when you were born, I touched you with my hand of fate. In a way, I ‘claimed’ you. As such, no other deity – Daedric or Divine – can reach your spirit. I cannot stop Daedra Lords from appearing before you, speaking to you or even doing you physical harm. My wardings, however, can prevent them from influencing or corrupting your spirit. That is, Sheogorath cannot inflict madness upon you. Nor can Molag Bal turn you to vampirism or Hircine infect you with lycanthropy. As a new godmother, it was the best way I knew to protect you.”

She sighed before continuing, “Daedra Lords excel at communicating directly, and often deceptively, with mortals as well as intervening in their affairs and manipulating circumstances. And, of course, destroying or corrupting things. Divines largely lack these talents. Their great skill and power lies in creation, nurturing and mending. Their communication with mortals is spiritual. Even when they address you directly, it is via a spiritual connection. One unfortunate consequence of my wardings is that the Divines cannot reach your spirit and, therefore, cannot communicate with you.”

My head was spinning. I had often spoken to the Divines but silence had been the only response. “I adore the fact that my birth wardings and, later, the title of Slayer you bestowed upon me were inspired by the love of a godmother for her godchild as the best way you knew to protect me. That said, I have lived my life wondering what was so deficient about me that the Divines would ignore me. I wish you had told me long ago. . . and perhaps given me some say in the matter.”

Azura nodded. “The concept of love is foreign to a Daedra Lord and, as such, I have been the last of those who care for you to realize that trying to restrain or direct a butterfly is counterproductive.” She rose to her feet with an air of finality. I stood as well. “Choice you shall now have, Godchild. When you leave Moonshadow, it will still be sunrise along the Green Road. You will no longer be a Slayer, nor under my protective wardings. Your heart and spirit will be vulnerable, but also open to the Nine that they may disclose the plans I expect they have for you. If they do not step up to the task, they shall learn firsthand what it is like to anger the Mistress of Twilight.” With a swirl of her hand I was back on the Green Road standing next to Superian.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jun 10 2020, 04:38 PM
Post #176

Councilor
Group Icon

Azura has manicured nails? blink.gif Yikes, Buffy takes no hesitation in sipping that tea! Maybe she's met Azura before?

Ha ha she's worried about loaning the muchly-sought Star of Azura to others! laugh.gif That is great. Uh oh. Azura's voice is stern. Buffy's in BIG trouble again.

“I do. And I have no doubt that someday you shall as well,” she replied. “Which brings me to something else I must tell you.”

“There’s more?”

Yee, Buffy seems so wide-eyed at times!

One unfortunate consequence of my wardings is that the Divines cannot reach your spirit and, therefore, cannot communicate with you.”

Wow. What an awesome revelation this chapter contains. So perhaps now that Buffy is no longer a slayer, she might be able to contact Mara and the other Nine. Well hey, at least nobody has the right to continue to confuse her with the character played by Sarah Michelle Gellar.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 10 2020, 06:31 PM
Post #177

Ancient
Group Icon

By Azura!

I love your depiction of Azura as a maternal figure in Buffy's life, as well as in the here and now. It was refreshing to hear her admit her own mistakes as a parental figure. That is not the kind of thing that gods are wont to do. It shows a lot of character, methinks.

As Buffy asked, I also wondered if Buffy could not become a paladin of Azura. But the Daedra Lords do have Champions, and they are not paladin's per se. So my guess is that is like comparing apples to oranges.

Oh my, Azura certainly drops some hints at some famous events in Tamriel's history, from the disappearance of the Dwemer to the Great Collapse of Winterhold.

I liked how you portrayed Azura as a multi-faceted person, wielding destruction in one hand, and nurturing with the other. As well as Buffy's admission of her own faults. To be honest, I could not fail to draw comparisons to a Detroit Crow and her Raven 'aunt'.

I also liked your inclusion of the Azura's Touch upon Buffy, and how it both protected her in ways, but also held her back in others.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jun 10 2020, 08:43 PM
Post #178

Councilor
Group Icon

I get the impression that the Azura in Clark's story would say "Oops!" while yours would say "I meant to do that!".

And that's for minor things like genocide. ohmy.gif

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jun 10 2020, 09:29 PM
Post #179

Master
Group Icon

This is a delightful episode where much is revealed, thus leading to several "a-HA!" moments.

I have a vague recollection of Azura having a discussion with some other deity concerning Buffy somewhere in the past book or two - and thanks for bringing that back to my swiss cheese brain!

I quite delighted in the oblique references to other lore events both past and present. So THAT'S what happened!

Azura is, along with Meridia, one of a few favorite Daedra that I quite enjoy having conversations with. Yes, Meridia is portrayed in a less than favorable light in ESO, but that's what I expect - after all, good vs evil are human conventions invented to grapple with the beings that we call Daedra and Divine. They are what they are, and the more we accept that, the better decisions we can make along the paths we call life.

I also liked that Buffy took her cue from Superian. If the grass in Moonshadow is fine, so is the Daedric equivalent of our beloved Kud Ei's tea! Heh!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jun 12 2020, 10:15 AM
Post #180

Master
Group Icon

A very good story again!

Quite unusual from the others, not just because it takes place in Azura's realm, but also because it involves lots of explaining. It's no wonder that Buffy's head was spinning.

It must have been awkward and special at the same time for a Daedric queen to watch over a mortal. But she fulfilled her role well.

--------------------
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:43 PM