Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TK's Mod Questions Thread, Got mod problems, or are you just lost with a tool?
Thomas Kaira
post Feb 23 2011, 01:37 AM
Post #41

Mouth
Group Icon

I've provided the link to BOSS (Better Oblivion Sorting Software), a one-click utility which will suggest the optimal load order for you in mere seconds. Download it (it's very tiny and easy to use) and run it. That should get you what you want. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Thomas Kaira: Feb 23 2011, 01:37 AM

--------------------
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 23 2011, 01:59 AM
Post #42

Master
Group Icon

That sucker completely changed the load order lol. It's screaming at me to Bash stuff but it works fine without.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Feb 24 2011, 01:12 AM
Post #43

Mouth
Group Icon

Quick bulletin on how to improve your game's performance here: today, I wish to discuss water reflections.

The pros? They make your water look nice and purdy.

The cons? It has recently come to the attention of the TES4 modding community that water reflections can provide a huge FPS hit. Here's why:

The water reflection system in this game piggybacks onto the game's Distant LOD system. If an object has a matching _far.NIF mesh (which are the low quality objects you see over long distances in this game) the game also uses that mesh for the water reflection mapping. This means that every _far.NIF mesh that is loaded into the game is being rendered twice (once for Distant LOD, once for reflection map) if you have the water reflections setting turned on.

Now, due to Oblivion's lack of occlusion culling (which is a system that prevents a game engine from rendering objects the player can't see), this means that any exterior cell that has water in it gets a reflection map rendered... even if there's only a small puddle on the ground. Every single object that is Visible When Distant, even those you could not hope to see in that tiny puddle. HEck, there are some cells in the game that have no water in them whatsoever up on ground level... but down below the landscape is a giant sea. Not only can you not even hope to see them in normal gameplay, it's impossible to even reach the water. Even they get reflections rendered!

This is an astoundingly inefficient (and dare I say lazy) method of adding reflections to the game, and many people have reported up to 20 FPS (!!!) gained just by turning reflections off. So, if you are looking to squeeze a bit of extra performance out of your game, consider removing the water reflections. The downside to this is you will lose every reflection, including the sky reflection, so the water will look rather soupy and bland, so it is your decision, and it may not be worth the trouble if you are running a lightly modded game.

This post has been edited by Thomas Kaira: Feb 24 2011, 01:16 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 24 2011, 01:24 AM
Post #44

Master
Group Icon

Nice. I'll consider turning them off, I have had some nasty slow downs.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 24 2011, 02:15 AM
Post #45

Ancient
Group Icon

Can you turn it off by going to the game menu options? I have noticed my PC game slowed a lot recently before crashing - but so did my PC itself, so not sure if that is a PC issue. It has been acting up since I downloaded the latest drivers from NVidia. (overheating, bluescreening, etc.)

This post has been edited by mALX: Feb 24 2011, 02:15 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Feb 24 2011, 03:06 AM
Post #46

Mouth
Group Icon

In the video settings, the option is Water Reflections.

As for your drivers... you may want to consider re-downloading them or rolling back.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 24 2011, 03:34 AM
Post #47

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Feb 23 2011, 09:06 PM) *

In the video settings, the option is Water Reflections.

As for your drivers... you may want to consider re-downloading them or rolling back.

Can I roll-back just the drivers without doing a system restore? What I found odd about the driver update is, I went to the NVidia site itself, and it did not list my card. I asked it to automatically determine my card and it came up with a driver that listed cards way newer than mine. - I don't think they gave me the correct driver, and can't figure out why they didn't have mine listed.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Feb 24 2011, 03:57 AM
Post #48

Mouth
Group Icon

What card model do you have?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 24 2011, 04:13 AM
Post #49

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Feb 23 2011, 09:57 PM) *

What card model do you have?

8600GT

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Feb 24 2011, 05:02 AM
Post #50

Mouth
Group Icon

Latest for XP
Latest for Vista/7 x32
Latest for Vista/7 x64

They all support the 8600GT (I checked).

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 24 2011, 05:24 AM
Post #51

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Feb 23 2011, 11:02 PM) *

Latest for XP
Latest for Vista/7 x32
Latest for Vista/7 x64

They all support the 8600GT (I checked).

Yeah !!! Mine is Vista 32 bit, I installed it - and am keeping my fingers crossed it helps !!! Thanks, TK !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Bolzmania
post Mar 9 2011, 07:01 PM
Post #52

Knower
Group Icon

This a very pointless comment but I also have 8600GT smile.gif

--------------------
"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world"
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 11 2011, 10:05 PM
Post #53

Ancient
Group Icon

I wonder if when you have to do a System Restore if it deletes the downloaded mods that you have on your desktop? I just noticed yesterday that my "Oblivion Werewolf Mod" is missing from my desktop - I would never have deleted that, or my Kawa Khajiit files - but both are gone.

I did delete some plug-ins I wasn't using, and assumed the Kawa had somehow gotten mixed in among them - but now I am wondering if the System Restore did it.

GAAAAAH!!! sad.gif

** mALX crossing fingers, facing east, kneeling before a graven image of a cow ... **

I guess it doesn't matter how much I wish it, the mods are gone regardless. "The Oblivion Werewolf Mod" is no longer on Nexus, and I couldn't find it by Googling.

Unless something has changed, copies of those files are still in my Data file in the Bethesda folder - but the originals have disappeared from my desktop.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Mar 11 2011, 10:12 PM
Post #54

Mouth
Group Icon

Did you try undoing your System Restore? There should be an option available to reverse the restore if you recently performed one.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 11 2011, 10:25 PM
Post #55

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Mar 11 2011, 04:12 PM) *

Did you try undoing your System Restore? There should be an option available to reverse the restore if you recently performed one.

I haven't done it recently, and it won't let me go back any further than 2/5/2011.

Do you know exactly what can be erased in a System Restore? Like if we wrote a chapter for our stories today and saved it, would it still be there after a System Restore? What about recent emails? Screenshots? (etc.) - does anyone know ???

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Mar 11 2011, 10:41 PM
Post #56

Mouth
Group Icon

System restore only deals with the system files in the Windows folder and the registry. It doesn't touch personal files like word documents or saved emails.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 11 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #57

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Mar 11 2011, 04:41 PM) *

System restore only deals with the system files in the Windows folder and the registry. It doesn't touch personal files like word documents or saved emails.

Thank you. GAAAAAH! sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheOtherRick
post Mar 13 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #58

Finder
Group Icon

This is one reason why your desktop is a notoriously bad place to save things. I also learned that lesson the hard way. I have all of my original mod downloads saved in a folder called "Oblivion Stuff" in "My Documents", and a shortcut to that folder on my desktop. Might I suggest a similar strategy...

--------------------
"To Thine Own Self Be True"

The Talendor Chronicles is my first fan fiction attempt.
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Mar 13 2011, 11:39 PM
Post #59

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheOtherRick @ Mar 13 2011, 01:36 PM) *

This is one reason why your desktop is a notoriously bad place to save things. I also learned that lesson the hard way. I have all of my original mod downloads saved in a folder called "Oblivion Stuff" in "My Documents", and a shortcut to that folder on my desktop. Might I suggest a similar strategy...

I keep all of my game mods currently not in use in a "Mods Archive" folder. To save Hard Drive space, installed Oblivion mods remain in the Bash Installers folder for BAIN and their folder in the archive is empty. This lets me know that the mod is on my computer, but is currently in use.

All of my game mods (Flight Simulator 2004, Morrowind, Age of Mythology, etc.) get the same treatment. I also do my best to keep this folder organized so it is easy to track down any mods I may wish to use again, but am not right now.

Anyways, want to know my most recent addition?

Auto Book Placer

This is a decoration assistant mod designed to quickly stack your private library with your books and volumes. This can be done literally in seconds, on any book (even mod-added), on any shelf (again, even mod added). You can also use it to stack your wine racks, too!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 14 2011, 04:13 AM
Post #60

Ancient
Group Icon

Ok, I just blue-screened again, and got the info (not sure if it is the same cause or not, but here it is):

PFN_List_Corrupt

0x0000004E (0x00000099, 0x000B7F16, 0x00000002, 0x0003633D)

--------------------
+Quote Post

23 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:43 AM