Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Turning Save Game Player into NPC?, Does anyone know how to do it?
mALX
post Sep 2 2013, 04:08 AM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

I was wondering if anyone could help me with something.

I DL'd a mod of a very handsome Dunmer male Player character (who is a "save game" mod). I was wanting to keep his appearance, but make him into an NPC or follower, either one doesn't matter.

Does anyone know how to do that?

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 2 2013, 04:39 AM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

Oblivion Face Exchange will let you copy his face and paste it into another character's save file, replacing the original character's face. Or even let you replace your player character's face with the face of any NPC. But I think the only thing it won't do is let you copy a PC face to an NPC. Maybe Wyre Bash can do it, but I have never used it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 2 2013, 05:00 AM
Post #3

Councilor
Group Icon

Pseron Wyrd does this, and I know he's discussed the process somewhere. I can't find where, though.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 2 2013, 06:35 AM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 1 2013, 11:39 PM) *

Oblivion Face Exchange will let you copy his face and paste it into another character's save file, replacing the original character's face. Or even let you replace your player character's face with the face of any NPC. But I think the only thing it won't do is let you copy a PC face to an NPC. Maybe Wyre Bash can do it, but I have never used it.

Oh darn, that mod in the link is not Windows Vista compatable! I can't use Wrye Bash - get lost just reading the instructions.

I was hoping there would be a way to just open the save file mod up in the CS and make a clone of him as a new NPC or something.

Thank you so much for your help, SubRosa!

@ Grits - Thank you for the hint, Grits! I'll look up Pseron Wyrd's posts and see if I can find it, he can't have posted much on here.

Thank you both very much for your help!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 2 2013, 06:51 AM
Post #5

Ancient
Group Icon

Okay, I found the post from Pseron Wyrd, it gave no instructions (only what he did with them after he cloned them). I left a question to him on that thread.

On that same thread was these instructions by SubRosa, but they are for Skyrim:

There's also a way you can use the Character Creation (showracemenu) to export faces for NPC creation.

Just adjust the sliders like normal and get the type of face you want. When you're done, open the console and type SPF <insert a name here>. The saved SPF file will default into your game's root folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Skyrim) Open the CK and go to the Character Gen Parts tab and click the "Import" button. Now you have an NPC with the desired face that you want in the game.

I've made a lot of unique looking NPC's and followers using this method.

Would this work on Oblivion too?

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 2 2013, 04:18 PM
Post #6

Ancient
Group Icon

There's also a way you can use the Character Creation (showracemenu) to export faces for NPC creation.

Just adjust the sliders like normal and get the type of face you want. When you're done, open the console and type SPF <insert a name here>. The saved SPF file will default into your game's root folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Skyrim) Open the CK and go to the Character Gen Parts tab and click the "Import" button. Now you have an NPC with the desired face that you want in the game.

Sadly that does not work for Oblivion. sad.gif

Face Exchange might work for you. I have had lots of trouble making it work on my Windows 7 computer. But the following did the trick:

Set it to run in Compatability Mode for Windows XP service pack 3
Tick the boxes for Disable Visual Themes, Disable Desktop Composition, and Disable Display Scaling on high DPI settings.

I am pretty sure Wyrd uses Wyre Bash, so that might be how he is doing it. I could never muddle through the mile long list of instructions for setting it up either, so I have never bothered with it either.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Sep 2 2013, 04:20 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 2 2013, 04:57 PM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 2 2013, 11:18 AM) *

Sadly that does not work for Oblivion. sad.gif

Face Exchange might work for you. I have had lots of trouble making it work on my Windows 7 computer. But the following did the trick:

Set it to run in Compatability Mode for Windows XP service pack 3
Tick the boxes for Disable Visual Themes, Disable Desktop Composition, and Disable Display Scaling on high DPI settings.

I am pretty sure Wyrd uses Wyre Bash, so that might be how he is doing it. I could never muddle through the mile long list of instructions for setting it up either, so I have never bothered with it either.

Making a copy of these instructions, thank you very much SubRosa! I'll try it in about two weeks when I get a chance to get in the game next. Very much appreciate your help!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 3 2013, 03:11 PM
Post #8

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm passing along some info from Wyrd:

First, he says hi. smile.gif

Wyrd confirms that he uses Wyre Bash.

It sounds like you select the save or mod you want to use the face in, then Import, Face from the source. Changing race, gender, or cosmetic mods could produce odd results. I have the details saved if anyone is going to go for it. Yikes, it might be me. hehe.gif

This post has been edited by Grits: Sep 3 2013, 03:12 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 3 2013, 03:38 PM
Post #9

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Sep 3 2013, 10:11 AM) *

I miss Wyrd. sad.gif He must be too busy pwning some new game with an uber toon to hang out with us n00bs anymore... wink.gif

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Sep 5 2013, 02:35 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 3 2013, 04:28 PM
Post #10

Councilor
Group Icon

I don't think Wrye Bash lets you import from a save file. You can import faces from one mod to another, or create a new player character with an NPC's face, but not the other way round.

I know that direction works, as it's how I played Heidi.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 7 2013, 09:21 AM
Post #11

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Sep 3 2013, 10:11 AM) *

I'm passing along some info from Wyrd:

Wyrd confirms that he uses Wyre Bash.

It sounds like you select the save or mod you want to use the face in, then Import, Face from the source. Changing race, gender, or cosmetic mods could produce odd results. I have the details saved if anyone is going to go for it. Yikes, it might be me. hehe.gif

If I'm understanding what you said here correctly = Yes, I want the details, lol. And tell Wyrd I said "Hello, and thank you very much!"

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 7 2013, 09:25 AM
Post #12

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Sep 3 2013, 11:28 AM) *

I don't think Wrye Bash lets you import from a save file. You can import faces from one mod to another, or create a new player character with an NPC's face, but not the other way round.

I know that direction works, as it's how I played Heidi.

Would a save game be kind of like a mod where I could create a new mod with this guy as an NPC in it and import the face from the save file?

Oh, and not sure why I'm having CTD every time I try to start a new game, but I removed everything Oblivion/OBMM/OBSE and reinstalled everything from scratch and still CTD every time I try to start a new game. Not sure what is up with that.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 7 2013, 02:13 PM
Post #13

Councilor
Group Icon

From Wyrd (I added the bold for emphasis.):
It's been a couple of years since I did it, so I'm going on memory here. It requires Wrye Bash. In the Mods tab of Wrye Bash click on your mod's .esp and select Import>Face. Then select the save file that contains the player character's face you want to import.

I seem to recall that there were two caveats. One, the NPC had to be of the same race and sex as the player character. Two, any appearance mods enabled for the player character also had to be enabled when running the NPC mod.

The discussion I remember but can't find was about him putting his old characters and the houses he made for them into the game world as NPCs once their stories were complete. That's exactly what I want to do for my story crew, since they all have their own games now. (And I think also what you want with the handsome Dunmer save, but I've never used one of those so I'm probably missing a critical detail.) Looks like I need to Summon Stones and get Wrye Bash. ohmy.gif

EDIT: D'oh!! Found the comment right here in Chorrol's Skyrim General. I was looking in the wrong site.
QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Jun 12 2013, 10:28 PM) *

I used to do this a lot in Morrowind and Oblivion. After a character's story was over I'd "retire" her as an NPC. I used to make unique houses for all of my characters and after their retirement I'd put them in these houses and they'd putter around their gardens for the rest of eternity.

Some of my characters would visit older character from previous games. I sometimes used this as a way of explaining how a character knew certain facts about the game world that I couldn't otherwise explain: she learned it during a visit to an older character.

I haven't done this in Skyrim yet. But I'm sure I will.

As above this is about Oblivion, though the other thread started regarding how to do it in Skyrim.

This post has been edited by Grits: Sep 7 2013, 03:11 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 9 2013, 08:43 AM
Post #14

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Sep 7 2013, 09:13 AM) *

From Wyrd (I added the bold for emphasis.):
It's been a couple of years since I did it, so I'm going on memory here. It requires Wrye Bash. In the Mods tab of Wrye Bash click on your mod's .esp and select Import>Face. Then select the save file that contains the player character's face you want to import.

I seem to recall that there were two caveats. One, the NPC had to be of the same race and sex as the player character. Two, any appearance mods enabled for the player character also had to be enabled when running the NPC mod.

The discussion I remember but can't find was about him putting his old characters and the houses he made for them into the game world as NPCs once their stories were complete. That's exactly what I want to do for my story crew, since they all have their own games now. (And I think also what you want with the handsome Dunmer save, but I've never used one of those so I'm probably missing a critical detail.) Looks like I need to Summon Stones and get Wrye Bash. ohmy.gif

EDIT: D'oh!! Found the comment right here in Chorrol's Skyrim General. I was looking in the wrong site.
QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Jun 12 2013, 10:28 PM) *

I used to do this a lot in Morrowind and Oblivion. After a character's story was over I'd "retire" her as an NPC. I used to make unique houses for all of my characters and after their retirement I'd put them in these houses and they'd putter around their gardens for the rest of eternity.

Some of my characters would visit older character from previous games. I sometimes used this as a way of explaining how a character knew certain facts about the game world that I couldn't otherwise explain: she learned it during a visit to an older character.

I haven't done this in Skyrim yet. But I'm sure I will.

As above this is about Oblivion, though the other thread started regarding how to do it in Skyrim.

Thank you, Thank you! Will see what I can do with this!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 23 2013, 01:39 PM
Post #15

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I want Buffy, Niamh and Mooch as followers! sad.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Oct 25 2013, 06:11 PM
Post #16

Councilor
Group Icon

OK, I'm here to report that installing Wrye Bash is now very easy. There's an installer. I got it on the Oblivion Nexus.

Then there are just a few steps to make a file with the face you want so you can copy it to the NPC. I followed the instructions found in the discussion here starting on Post #9.

Good luck! smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 18 2014, 02:06 AM
Post #17

Councilor
Group Icon

HOLY [censored] I JUST MADE MY FIRST .ESP. I made a plug-in! smile.gif By accident!

It's very simple, and it doesn't really fit the topic of this thread, but I don't feel like starting a new thread, since I'm such a n00b still. Anyways, I used OB's CK and changed the age & hair color of Candice Corgan (Pell's Gate barkeep) so that she's about 20 years older. She was 42 in the 3rd era, now she's about 64 in Renee's 4th Era game. WHen I went to close the CK, it asked me if I wanted to save, and I notice it was trying to put this save into my Oblivion > Data folder.

WOW. It's an esp. I can click on it! ... Old stuff for some of you all, but this is freekin amazing to me.

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Oct 18 2014, 02:08 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 18 2014, 02:53 AM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

Congrats on taking the first step into a larger world. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Oct 18 2014, 03:34 AM
Post #19

Councilor
Group Icon

Yay, congratulations Renee!! Isn’t it exciting to see your idea in the game? I’m grinning like a fiend over your first esp! biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 18 2014, 03:48 PM
Post #20

Councilor
Group Icon

It's awesome, I'm thinking all sorts of possibilities now that I know the basic process. Time to make a Sharks and Frickin' Laser Beams mod. blink.gif

It's funny too because my very first mod rates at just 1KB. That's where it all starts I guess. What were your first mods?

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:24 AM