Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RG4's PC Modding Crisis Thread
Renee
post Jan 5 2014, 08:39 PM
Post #41

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Jan 3 2014, 11:22 AM) *

Congratulations RG4! Welcome to the world of modded Oblivion!

You're welcome haute ecole rider. Your name has something to do with horseriding I can see. smile.gif I've been on somewhat of a Google crusade with people's names lately, I think I started with Pseron Wyrd.

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Jan 3 2014, 07:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Jan 2 2014, 03:39 PM) *

Thanks Thomas Kaira. You're named after a rare sports car.

And you're the first person who actually got it. tongue.gif

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=thomas...selectedIndex=8

That's a sweet-looking car right there!

Hey while we're here, I do have one more question. I'm going to have a zillion over the days, weeks, months, years...

I have heard many words about the Unofficial Oblivion Patch. Wondering if I'll need to mess with this at all? ... It's third-party stuff, so I kinda doubt the ES: Anthology disc has anything to do with this.

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Jan 5 2014, 08:41 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jan 5 2014, 08:55 PM
Post #42

Master
Group Icon

Unofficial Patches are usually a good idea. It fixes a lot of little (and not so little) issues that the devs never addressed.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 5 2014, 11:51 PM
Post #43

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh I see. So I'll probably just wait a bit until I find out if my game might possibly have a quest broken or whatever.

One more question, and this one has nothing to do with mods: in Oblivion how do I drop something? I've had my new dark elf pick up the tan cup at the very beginning of the game but can't figure out how to drop it. I've tried going into the menu, highlighting the tan cup he picked up, and then I've pressed every key on the keyboard (I think). Can't figure out how to drop it.

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Jan 5 2014, 11:52 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 6 2014, 12:09 AM
Post #44

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Jan 5 2014, 05:51 PM) *

One more question, and this one has nothing to do with mods: in Oblivion how do I drop something? I've had my new dark elf pick up the tan cup at the very beginning of the game but can't figure out how to drop it. I've tried going into the menu, highlighting the tan cup he picked up, and then I've pressed every key on the keyboard (I think). Can't figure out how to drop it.

Select the item. Hold down the Shift Button, and left-click on it. Exit the menus and it will fall to the ground in front of you.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 6 2014, 12:29 AM
Post #45

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 5 2014, 06:09 PM) *

Select the item. Hold down the Shift Button, and left-click on it. Exit the menus and it will fall to the ground in front of you.

Awesome thanks!

I just figured out how to disable spells, so Snaat Rayag hasn't got a Flare spell! ... I also changed the timescale and am now trying to figure out how to delete the (guess) compass from the HUD. So much fun. I haven't even left his jail cell yet!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 6 2014, 01:17 AM
Post #46

Ancient
Group Icon

Just don't ever get rid of the starting healing spell. The game uses it by default to fill the selected spell slot. Sometimes events happen - like when you use a scroll - that clear out that slot. Afterward the game automatically puts the Heal Minor Wounds spell back in that slot. So if you delete it, the game will crash.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 6 2014, 02:02 AM
Post #47

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh okay. Good to know. Yes you are right, the game does automatically default to that healing spell, that's the way it is on consoles as well.

Well I got him out of the prison cell finally. I'm not sure when Darker Dungeons is supposed to work; it is really bright down there! .. I also found a mod called No Compass but it didn't work. I found another mod which deletes all of the compass info except for the basic N E S W directions, and this one worked. smile.gif No more electrical tape on my damn TV!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 14 2014, 12:23 AM
Post #48

Councilor
Group Icon

You guys and gals haven't heard from me; it's because I hit a wall modding-wise and was determined to figure it on my own, but I'm just stuck.

Not sure why, but the PC tutorial dungeon is INSANELY bright. I used to think console dungeons are too bright, but on PC, there literally is no darkness. emot-ninja1.gif I've tried messing with Darker Dungeons and Cava Obscura but neither seems to do anything.

When I was reading Cava's ReadMe, I noticed this....

This mod support plugin is a "Filter Patch". It requires Wrye Bash to function, as although it has many master files, Wrye Bash can filter out everything relating to mods you don't have installed, so that you can use it even if you have only one of the supported mods installed. See the 'Installation' section for more details.

Okay, that seems to explain it, I need Wrye Bash, even though a friend has sworn he got Cava to work with OBMM only. Anyways, it's not a prob. I'll need to figure Wrye next, but I'm okay with this because it was one of my goals, anyways.

My question: is this the version I want? I notice there's a message on the front page where it says the "WB team is MIA" (not around anymore) which is a scary thought.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 14 2014, 02:05 AM
Post #49

Ancient
Group Icon

I do not know a thing about Wyre Bash, so I cannot help you there.

But one thing I can suggest before you start tinkering is to go into your Video Settings and see if you are using HDR Lighting or Bloom Lighting. I found that HDR made everything way to bright for me, to the point where it was literally washing out all the colors. So I always play with it set to Bloom.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jan 14 2014, 02:07 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 14 2014, 02:39 AM
Post #50

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 13 2014, 08:05 PM) *

I do not know a thing about Wyre Bash, so I cannot help you there.

But one thing I can suggest before you start tinkering is to go into your Video Settings and see if you are using HDR Lighting or Bloom Lighting. I found that HDR made everything way to bright for me, to the point where it was literally washing out all the colors. So I always play with it set to Bloom.

Interesting thanks I will try that.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jan 14 2014, 03:29 AM
Post #51

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Jan 13 2014, 06:23 PM) *

My question: is this the version I want? I notice there's a message on the front page where it says the "WB team is MIA" (not around anymore) which is a scary thought.

Renee, I believe that’s the current version. I used the installer. It did all of the work.

I have no idea about the dark cave mods, sorry. I've only adjusted my settings like SubRosa suggested.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 14 2014, 04:04 AM
Post #52

Paladin
Group Icon

Renee, I installed WB a long time ago, so am unable to help with what is current.

Like SubRosa and Grits, I only use the in-game settings and find the dungeons dark enough that Buffy can easily miss trap pressure plates, trip wires and such since she finds her way primarily by stalking the pink glows of detect life.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 14 2014, 04:41 PM
Post #53

Councilor
Group Icon

Awesome. Do you folks enjoy answering all these questions? smile.gif I hope so. I like the variety of answers. Everybody does things a little different.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_7.html

I found the cool webpage in the link above which shows all the diffs between OB PC settings which is GREAT because I saw all these settings in my game and had no idea what they affect. So now I have an idea. Now, the way my game is, it automatically sets the graphic settings to Medium. Turns out, an Xbox or PS3 actually has better (more defined) graphics than a PC on Medium setting. So .... I want it all. biggrin.gif I want to go for the best settings possible. I know this means upgrading my video card, which I am fine with. More money, basically.

SubRosa, I think you told me in the past what I need to look for (via PM) and I'm wondering what sort of cards I should be looking for but I want to ask everyone for opinions, because I bet there will be a huge variety out there.

Also what's a good store for vid cards? I'll probably go to Best Buy or Radio Shack unless there's something better unbeknownst to me here in America

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Jan 14 2014, 04:43 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 14 2014, 05:22 PM
Post #54

Ancient
Group Icon

I think the first place to start is going to be your current computer. Open the case and see what kind of video card slot you have on the motherboard. It is probably a PCI-Express (or PCI-E slot). But you never know, it might be an AGP slot, some older computer still have those. This pic shows the difference between slots. Write that down, because you need to make sure the card you buy uses the right slot.

I suggest going for an Nvidia-based card. Different companies like EVGA or Visiontek make the cards themselves, the chipset they all use is Nvidia. Just look for the Geforce name. There is really not a whole lot of difference between the Nvidia video cards and the AMD cards (AMD bought out ATI). I have been using Nvidia since 3dfx went out of business, and I have always been happy with the quality of the chipsets, and the driver support. So I stick with what I know to be good. I am sure many people say the same about the ATI/AMD cards too.

Generally speaking, the more money you spend the better you are going to get. But I know you do not have a zillion samoleons to blow on a video card. You should be able to find a decent card in the $100 - $150 price range. Look for something with at least 1gig of onboard memory. These days DDR5 memory is pretty standard, so I would no go with anything slower. (the DDR# is a basic speed of how quick the memory works, the higher the number the better). This guy looks like a good card that won't bankrupt someone. It will handle a game like Skyrim just fine.

Best Buy is probably a good place to look. I often go to Micro Center. It looks like they have a couple of stores out in Maryland, so if they are close you could try them. I don't know what else is out there. Don't be shy about buying online though.

Edited to Add: It is also not a bad idea to look for how many and what kind of free power plugs you have left inside your case. In the old days you just slid the card into the slot on the motherboard and that was it. But modern cards have so much horsepower that they require their own power connections. Usually the video card needs a 6 pin power cable that looks kind of like a lego. Sometimes there is an 8 pin cable coming from your power supply, with a detachable part that takes off 2 pins and lets you use just 6. Depending on the card you buy, you might need 1 or 2 of these 6 pin cables. Here is a page all about power connecters. The ones I am talking about are the 6 pin PCI Express, and the 6 + 2 Pin variety. A lot of power supplies come with the 6 + 2 kind, that way you can just pop off the extra 2 pins if you do not need them. Mine is like that in fact.

You might also need more than one cable for your card. I have a pair of Geforce 670s, and they each use two 6pins. If you don't have any 6 pin cables and you need them, there are adapters you can buy that will plug into a standard 4 pin drive cable. There is a pic of one of those above.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jan 14 2014, 07:38 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 14 2014, 10:41 PM
Post #55

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 13 2014, 08:05 PM) *

It's on "None" (or whatever the 3rd choice is). I tried putting it on Bloom and that didn't seem to make a diff. Not for the Tutorial, anyways.

I'm attempting to learn Bash now. Interesting. It's rather like OBMM, but seems more complex.

Edit: Interesting. Bash puts a huge red slash across Cava Obscura. Wonder what that means. Guess I'll find out as I read. OBMM did not do anything like this.

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Jan 14 2014, 10:49 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 15 2014, 11:04 PM
Post #56

Councilor
Group Icon

Hello it's me again, aren't you excited? rolleyes.gif

Here is what is happening in my game. Look how freekin' bright that is, and that's with the Brightness dumbed down all the way! It's like I'm trying to play Oblivion underground with Walmart-style lighting everywhere, and with the Tutorial dungeon this bright, I cannot get im ... im... I cannot get IMMERsed. biggrin.gif Thank you.

Wrye Bash is not easy to understand, at least not to me. I could have written their ReadMe better. To a no0b like myself, I have no idea what they're talking about half the time because they start off with some extreme tech-talk. But I have to learn Bash. Just have to.

One of the cool things I'm noticing about Bash is it put a large red slash across the mod slot where Cava Obscura is, and it does the same thing with Darker Dungeons. For some reason, something is going haywire whenever I want to darken the Tutorial dungeon, yet all the other mods I've installed so far are green, which means they are fine.

It's interesting because OBMM did not do anything like this. All OBMM tells me is Cava Obscura (or DD) are "Active". So obviously Wrye Bash is trying to communicate something to me. What the heck it is, I can't really tell. The ReadMe says this if a red background shows up: An active plugin that should remain deactivated (ie. tagged with Deactivate) or, for Oblivion only, an active plugin that shares its modification date with another active plugin. This must be corrected so that they have different modification dates or else it may break your load order.

...that barely makes any sense to me.

Here is an example of what it's showing me, though. Any ideas what to do?

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Jan 15 2014, 11:09 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 15 2014, 11:11 PM
Post #57

Paladin
Group Icon

Renee, I don't know on the WB message. What I do know is that the lighting in your dungeon screenshot is not due to the game being on PC. My vanilla PC dungeon lighting was just fine. I've adjusted the vanilla in-game options a bit darker, but have never found the need for any sort of 'darker dungeons' mod. It is very easy to miss trap pressure plates, tripwires and such in Buffy's game. Did that 'WalMart' lighting start after you began modding?

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 15 2014, 11:25 PM
Post #58

Ancient
Group Icon

Acadian is right, that is not how it should look on the PC. I use no lighting mods at all, use the Bloom setting, and have the brightness slider just a little to the right of center, and this is how the tutorial dungeon looks. However, if I use the TLB command, I get this instead.

Did you ever use the console command TLB, which is short for Toggle Lite Brite? It makes everything really bright like that. Try running the command from the console and see if it changes things.

Other than that, I can only think to delete those lighting mods, and any loose files that came with them. Maybe one of them is F'ed up, and is actually messing up the lighting.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jan 15 2014, 11:28 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jan 15 2014, 11:39 PM
Post #59

Councilor
Group Icon

Renee, I am very new at Wrye Bash, so hold on for some more experienced advice. I’m sure someone will come along.

I looked in the Darker Dungeons description for a clue about what’s going on, and it says “New in Version 1.1- A Shivering Isles ESP! It REPLACES the one you may already have (Also, the old version of the ESP is packed in too).”

Does this mean you should only be using the SI esp? Perhaps the SI version is the original plus SI, not just the SI part. Maybe try that?

But first as SubRosa said get vanilla looking the way it should. Fingers crossed for an uncomplicated fix. smile.gif

Added: I can’t see in the picture, do the Darker Dungeons mods have the same date as Camping (or each other)?

This post has been edited by Grits: Jan 15 2014, 11:57 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 16 2014, 01:18 AM
Post #60

Councilor
Group Icon

I'd add BOSS. Even though you don't have a lot of mods, it will fix this, as it re-dates the mods to get them in the correct order to override each other properly. It also knows which mods are incompatible, and which need cleaning. Launches from Wrye Bash, and Bash picks up the changes immediately.

And that's not nearly enough mods! Not to mention, none of them are mine!

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:22 AM