4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Companionable Adventure of Sir J'Zirlo of New Kvatch
McBadgere
post Apr 5 2012, 07:33 PM
Post #21

Councilor
Group Icon

Lol... biggrin.gif ...Sorry, it's my fault...

This story is all Skyrim...And one small section of it at that... biggrin.gif ...Well...When I say small...This is me... laugh.gif ...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 6 2012, 12:13 AM
Post #22

Paladin
Group Icon

Loved the bit about each of the knights having a divine blessing – the origins of which date back to Bobby The WyldeOne. So, J’Lo’s blessed by Zenithar.

The ending here was so neat. Olfsson be Olfsson, leaving snoop to Khajiit.

Great fun! tongue.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 6 2012, 01:36 AM
Post #23

Councilor
Group Icon

“Khajiit had already told the fool that we were, in fact, Khajiit.”

So much to love in this line!!

I once travelled through Boston in February with my kilt-wearing uncle. J’Zirlo has a point about those Legion uniforms! biggrin.gif

I love the part about the Blessings. I also had to grin at the thought of Olfsson attempting stealth and subtlety while still bare-chested and sweaty from the forge. Caerellin is wonderful! It sounds like he has his hands full with J’Zirlo. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 6 2012, 12:52 PM
Post #24

Councilor
Group Icon

Yes, I know...Another bit...But I think that all four parts together are only as long as one of the latest NK posts...So...Y'know... biggrin.gif ...

mALX and Acadian, thank you, as ever for reading...I know I can be difficult to follow at times... biggrin.gif ...And Acadian, thank you for that entirely new way of seeing my Champion of Cyrodiil... biggrin.gif ...

Grits...Many many thanks for your ever brilliant encouragment... biggrin.gif ...*Bows*...

----------------------------------------------

We parted with more good news, it seemed that our surprise new ally was going to see to it that I was able to come and go through the city gates as I pleased. No more to be challenged by the challenged. This is good!

What’s more, this courtesy was to be extended to the Khajiit caravans and their traders!

Ah, truly the Age of Enlightenment was about to begin.

I headed in the direction I’d seen Olfsson and the Companions go. Through the colourful market, selling all sorts of wares - fresh fruit, jewellery, trinkets, odd and ends, that sort of thing. Some may call it junk, but as equally, some may call them treasures.

I ascended up a set of stairs that lead to an archway in an imposing wall, a stream passed through a second one to one side. As I reached the top, I beheld a truly impressive sight. An immense tree, not the healthiest specimen I have ever seen, but one which suggested that before whatever malady was ailing it, it was a sight to rival the Great Oak in Chorrol.

Ah Chorrol, not long had it been since we left Cyrodiil, but already a sadness for my home was growing. So much in the country is the same evil - bandits, marauders, mythical creatures, vampires - but the scale of what we were about to do...It scared us to high Aetherius sometimes.

I gazed at the tree some more, greying boughs led off a huge thick trunk, giving it a look of one from the scary tales parents often tell children in the cold nights, but somehow, I felt sad looking at it. As if, I had just missed something.

I approached the tree. I asked of the lady tending to it. “Excuse us milady, a lost Khajiit could use help?”

She jumped up, brushing soil from her hands, onto the sides of her robes. “Oh! My! Yes...Hello.”

“A truly impressive sight, milady?”

“Danica Pure-Spring.” She said.

“Er...” I answered.

“My name,” She laughed, “is Danica Pure-Spring, High-Priestess of Kynareth.”

“Oh!” said I, “Ah, yes, of course! Sir J’Zirlo of New Kvatch, at your service milady.” I bowed.

“Maybe you can be someday, Sir J’Zirlo of New Kvatch. Now, how can I help you?”

“J’Zirlo has to find the home of The Companions?...Jorrvaskr or some such name? However, Khajiit seems to have mislaid his guide.” I smiled.

The lady Danica smiled also and pointed up to an impressive wooden – well, what else? – building, that seemed to have – of all things – a giant Nordic longboat as a roof. As one does. But we are far from any rivers here. It must have been some feat to walk across the lands with that on their shoulders, even ones as big as Olfsson’s!

As I looked up to the - admittedly impressive - building, friend Farkas appeared at the door and looked about, seemingly to see if we were on our way up. He saw that I was by the mournfully beautiful tree and headed down.

“Lady Danica.” He greeted and bowed his head.

“Sir Farkas.”

“Aaah, stop teasing.” He smiled, “You know I’m no Knight.”

“Gildergreen says otherwise Sir Farkas. Trust her.”

“Gildergreen?” I asked.

“The tree.” Said friend Farkas. “Lady Danica says it’s alive.”

She, Sir Farkas, is alive and very much aware of everything.” The Lady looked deeply into Farkas’ eyes.

For some reason, friend Farkas looked down. Ashamed? For why? We would endeavour to find out!

“One day, we will need both of your help. Please. Return when you have done what needs to be done.”

With that, the lady bade us farewell and returned to her tending.

Friend Farkas looked up at the tree, put a hand to it, almost lovingly, and then sighed, turned and walked up towards the longhouse.

“Come on,” he said, “I think your friend’s about to start a riot.”

“Sounds about right.” Said I, and followed him up.

-------------------------------------------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 6 2012, 05:25 PM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

“She, Sir Farkas, is alive and very much aware of everything.” The Lady looked deeply into Farkas’ eyes.

Sounds like Farkas chose the wrong tree to lift his leg on !! Great Write !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 7 2012, 12:18 AM
Post #26

Paladin
Group Icon

‘No more to be challenged by the challenged.’
Very clever, this. tongue.gif

“My name,” She laughed, “is Danica Pure-Spring, High-Priestess of Kynareth.”
I love it! What a perfect name for a Priestess of Kynareth! As was Gildergreen for the tree. Oops, I just did some digging with my UESP shovel and sorted out that Bethesda gets credit for naming this pair. The whole bit with the poor old tree was wonderful and a nice reminder that J’Lo’s ‘roots’ are back in the same province as Chorrol.

J’Lo’s observations continue to be very fun to read, from everything being made of wood to using a boat for roofing material. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Acadian: Apr 7 2012, 12:18 AM

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Apr 7 2012, 05:26 PM
Post #27

Knower
Group Icon

Begging many pardons for getting so far behind my friend.

Thoroughly enjoyed these additions, the imagery is quite wonderful especially for one who has no visual knowledge of Skyrim (sacrilege I know but I haven't got there yet, late bloomer hehe)

I think I see how things are coming together but I ain't sayin' cuz I don't want to look dumb if I'm wrong.

GOOD STUFF! Loving every minute of it. Keep it coming.

--------------------
"I'm a woman of very few words, but lots of action." - Mae West (Hush Foxy)
+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 7 2012, 07:57 PM
Post #28

Councilor
Group Icon

I love the exchange between Danica and Farkas! J’Zirlo is a pure joy to read. smile.gif

mALX, you made me spit tea!! laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Apr 8 2012, 09:22 AM
Post #29

Master
Group Icon

Excellent stuff! Loved the descriptions of the area around Whiterun, the dialogue between J'Zirlo and Danicaand my favourite bit so far has to be the confrontation at the gate. Prose is excellent as always, I'm loving your characters, and J'Zirlo's asides and observations on things are a delight to read.

Good show! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 8 2012, 11:53 AM
Post #30

Councilor
Group Icon

mALX - biggrin.gif ...I was going more with the ashamed and agonizing about being a werewolf meself...But thank you...*Is grinning btw...Just in case... biggrin.gif *...

Acadian - Yeah, sorry, I will allow Bethesda some credit for those names... biggrin.gif ...Really is a beautiful piece of design that tree...And the parent tree that's elsewhere in the game (Eldergreen? Eldergleam Grove or something.)...I can't fault the design and art people on Skyrim...Simply beautiful place...Possibly worth playing it and never doing any quests...Just exploring!... biggrin.gif ...Er...Sorry, yes...Thank you again, I'm glad you're enjoying this...I'm having a blast writing it...Much easier on the brain... tongue.gif ...

Athynae - No worries m'friend... biggrin.gif ...Always glad you enjoy whatever I provide, for to take up yer time with... biggrin.gif ...Thank you so much...

And, as I'm sure others will attest to, it really doesn't take this long to get through the door in the game... laugh.gif ...But again, this is me...

Grits - Thank you, as ever, people who don't really get much to do, but I feel like they've got a lot more to say to me will be given more of a chance through this story...Probably... laugh.gif ...

Mustard!! - Awright maytey!!...M'thanks m'friend...Glad you checked this new one out, and like it too!!...Cheers matey!!...

-------------------------

As we walked up the steps towards the home, I turned my head to look back once more at the tree, Gildergreen. So beautiful. With so few trees to speak of, about what I’d seen of the city so far, it really did speak volumes of its power. To have avoided the axe and saw for so long, truly the power of Kynareth must be with it.

The other imposing sight contained within the park area of Whiterun was a giant statue of Tiber Septim, the Divine Talos. I found this surprising. We had been told of the Thalmor’s banning of Talos worship within the country, so the leaving of such a huge statue standing seemed almost confrontational. While we had seen no Thalmor in Whiterun so far, surely the presence of the True Empire fools in the city would have meant the removal of such a giant icon and his shrine?

A priest of Talos stood preaching his very heart out to all, and yet, to no one at all, as if just by being within earshot of the poor man might cause the doom of the Thalmor to be visited upon then and theirs.

Ah! But no matter, behind the poor man stood the Divine Septim in all his battle glory. Resplendent in his Dragon Armour, wolven pelt cape and winged helmet. Ah, the temptation to go back and pray at the shrine was almost too much! I merely nodded my head in salute and continued up the steps.

At the top, a few feet above our heads, there was a carved crossbeam, which passed over the width of the sizeable pathway. Two posts supported it, one either side. In front of each was a carved wooden representation of a Dragon head. I looked to the oft-patched against leaks, longboat roof of the building - supported by more carved oaken pillars – and saw several more of the Dragons seemingly peering about the place. I asked friend Farkas about this.

“Uh, I don’t really know why. Vilkas might know, my brother. He’s the one with the smarts.”

“Ah, you do not credit yourself highly enough my friend. What you have already spoken of on the subject of armours would be beyond many, I suspect even your brother with the smarts.”

“Friend?” Farkas frowned and looked questioningly at I.

“Well, if you so wish. J’Zirlo would be honoured to call Farkas, friend.”

“Oh. Well...Friend it is.” He smiled and nodded and held out his forearm to me. We clasped, as brothers in arms do, and then he continued, “As for the Dragon heads, I honestly have no real idea, it may have something to do with that place up there,” he pointed his thumb up over his shoulder, up towards a truly massive, imposing palace that Olfsson and I had seen dominating the valley, atop the only hill on the valley floor, “it’s called Dragonsreach. Why? That really is a question for Vilkas.” He smiled. “That’s where the Jarl is, if you ever need to see him.”

I resolved to go and look closer at the palace of Dragonsreach as soon as a free moment should happen to me. From where I stood, it seemed as if the obsession with wood had run into some sort of wall. Literally. For one half of the giant, many layered palace - which must have taken half the trees in Skyrim to build - was timber, that much was obvious, even from where we stood, and the other half was a truly immense, stone block Keep. At least half as tall again as some of the castles in Cyrodiil. Yet this was no castle. It seemed dark, foreboding. This was simply a giant block of blocks, built for a purpose.

And yet, looking at it provided no clue as to what.

Ah! Perhaps this brother of Farkas’ would provide answers. Perhaps not. We shall see.

Friend Farkas followed my gaze, “Aye. Scares the cr@p out of me too.” He patted me on the shoulder, then walked to the longhouse’s door and pulled it open. The Nord then gestured for me to follow.

I took one more look about myself, then walked into Jorrvaskr.

----------------------

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Apr 8 2012, 11:59 AM
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Apr 8 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #31

Master
Group Icon

Well, not tons to say, seeing as not tons happened, but agood part nonetheless and I'm enjoying the little hints as to the nature of your AU Skyrim you dropped here, which were interesting. I'm intrigued to see exactly what this means for the story later on.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 8 2012, 03:47 PM
Post #32

Ancient
Group Icon

(Wolf howl) Farkas found a friend !! I like Farkas, haven't had a lot of contact with Vilkas yet other than the initial boxing match, lol. Great Write !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 9 2012, 12:43 AM
Post #33

Paladin
Group Icon

My advantage here is the same as my disadvantage: I’ve never been north of Pale Pass. So I don’t exactly know where the lines are between the Brothers ‘B’ (Badgere and Bethesda). I’m really fine with that as long as you are. I like how J’Lo is telling us about this place, from the statue and worship of the banned Septim named Tiber, to the patched long boatian roof to the giant stone keep of Dragonsreach.

I really liked your description of Talos’ statue and how J’Lo nodded his head in salute.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Apr 9 2012, 02:09 AM
Post #34

Master
Group Icon

challenged by the challenged
laugh.gif

Interesting with the tree and Farkas.

I like the role Farkas is playing so far. Whiterun is built in the middle of a huge plane without a tree in sight, so the tree in the middle of the town is quite remarkable. I never really thought about it until your story though. Good job. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Apr 9 2012, 12:16 PM
Post #35

Knower
Group Icon

Wonderful again, the visual of the entrance and the inside of the palace was quite the image. The conversation between Farkas and J'Z was comfortable and I liked it very much. You did a wonderful job with the dialog making it realistic for the time I think.

Ok, let's get on with it now, I'm ready for more. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"I'm a woman of very few words, but lots of action." - Mae West (Hush Foxy)
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 15 2012, 05:03 AM
Post #36

Councilor
Group Icon

My many thankses to all of you...*Bows head in gratitude*...

Though a note to Acadian, the long-boat on the roof of the Companions' home is just awesome to look at...When I did the...Research...Not playing...No it wasn't...I was - yet again - stunned by the idea of turning the boat over and using it as a roof...Mad those Bethesda people are... biggrin.gif ...

Where we were - J'Zirlo had been taking in the sights of the city of Whiterun in Skyrim, and now - finally biggrin.gif - he'd reached the home of the Companions, Jorrvaskr and headed inside...

----------------

As I walked forward of the doors, I heard what I would call, more traditional Nordic sounds – Cheering, clapping, banging tankards on tables and above all else, the sound of one person striking another repeatedly about the head with something.

Olfsson had decided to engage himself in a fist-fight - as he does – with a small Dark-Elf and a fellow Nord lady. Well, I say lady. Her impressive knowledge of curses suggested maybe too many trips to the docks...Maybe...J’Zirlo has no idea, he is only saying, is all.

I watched as they attempted to take Olfsson at once from both sides of what appeared to be a cleared practice area in an otherwise furniture-full room.

The lopsided grin on Olfsson’s face told me he was really enjoying this. There really was no way they could hurt him, so he was just play acting with them.

The Dunmer punched low at the same time the Nord girl went high, friend Olfsson took the punch to the stomach with an “Oof!” but that was all, he was concentrating on not having his head removed by the right hook that seemed determined to do so. His head snapped backwards to avoid the punch just as his hands shot up to catch the extended arm of the girl, he pulled her arm forward and around her so that it made the girl twirl, then he pushed her away and kicked her in the behind so that she sprawled into the chairs and a couple of onlookers. Much laughing! And cursing...Much cursing. How did one discover so many variations? Even Khajiit didn’t know some of them. Anyways, even as Olfsson’s foot connected with Nordic rear, he used the twist back to catch the Dunmer under his guard and cause him to fly through the air into other chairs. More cheering! Olfsson looked over to me and grinned broadly, Ah! My brother! I bowed my head to him, just as a particularly vicious stream of curses barrelled into Olfsson’s midriff and carried him backwards into other chairs. Needless to say, more cheering!

My viewing pleasure was interrupted when friend Farkas approached I, with an older, bearded man at his side.

“J’Zirlo, this is Kodlak Whitemane, he in charge of keeping us honest.” Farkas grinned.

The other grinned and looked at Farkas as he said, “No easy task, I assure you.” He turned to me and walked forwards with his hand extended. I shook it as he said, “My name was not always Kodlak, but when you become the Companion’s Harbinger or spiritual guide, that’s what happens. Whitemane has followed me for a goodly few years, thanks to my mother.” He grinned.

“J’Zirlo of New Kvatch,” I said as I shook his hand, “also thanks to my mother.” And grinned.

The Kodlak’s eyebrows raised and there seemed to be a question on his lips, but then his eyes looked right and his head turned fractionally towards Farkas, who was watching the fight anyway. Whitemane said, “Wolfshead over there, which is, by the way, possibly the most ironic name of anyone who’s ever wanted to be here, said you were both ex-Legion.”

“Wolfshead?” said I.

Yes, your friend Olff Wolfshead?” The Kodlak was frowning.

Olff Wolfshead? What on Nirn was the man talk-

Oooohhhh.

The name Olfsson was likely as famous in Cyrodiil as McWylde’s, and probably figured to change his name up here, should needs be. Shame “Wolfshead” couldn’t have said something to Khajiit earlier no? It seems as though even Olfsson was better at this “snooping” than I. Khajiit hadn’t even changed where we were from.

I may have flattened my ears in shock and embarrassment.

“Ah yes, Wolfshead. Khajiit apologizes, we spent too long in the tavern last night. Khajiit mistakenly believed we could out-drink him.” I pointed to where Olfsson currently had the girl off the floor and held aloft with one hand, until she twisted and with a kick to his face, freed herself and sent Olfsson backwards into a third set of chairs. Surprisingly enough, more cheering.

Whitemane laughed and applauded. “Brave lad you. We Nords could out-drink anything. I may tell you one day of the time my father outdrank a Giant out at his wateringhole on the plain out there.

“But that is for another day, and should you pass this first test.

"I need to see if you can genuinely handle yourselves. Although, granted, there’s not many who could take those two on and still stand,” Whitemane gestured over to the fight, “but I also need to know whether you can handle your swords in a steel fight.”

“We are very well trained.” I assured the man.

“That’s as maybe, but we’ll have Vilkas check how the Cyrodillian standards could have fallen down the years.” Whitemane grinned and called out to those watching the fight.

Ah! Friend Vilkas, he looked a lot like his brother – the same black hair – but he was taller than Farkas, of a slighter build. He had dark circles tattooed around his eyes, and several scars which suggested many fights.

He approached the three of us.

“Could you take young J’Zirlo here and Wolfshead out and test their...Ahem...Metal?”

“Of course.” He paused, about to say something.

Whitemane sighed. “Go on.”

“Is it wise to let these two in, we already have a full compliment. We have no idea who these two actually are.”

“Maybe not, but we do not have anything like a full compliment of Companions, as well you know. We do not, either, turn away those who ask to join without first finding out whether they can help us, Vilkas. And it’s not your place to question.”

“But I-”

“Enough Vilkas, test them...Please.”

I looked between the two men, some sort of unspoken fight was going on here, I could feel it.

Vilkas looked at me and asked to see my sword. I drew it. A long ebony blade that I had wrought myself after Zenithar had blessed me. Its dark length inlaid with gold tracing. The crosspiece had more tracing on.

Vilkas’ jaw dropped.

Whitemane frowned again and looked at me. “I know a man who’d be very interested to speak to you.”

Olfsson had stopped fighting when he heard my sword leave its scabbard and looked over. Unfortunately, this was the point when the two Companions were in front of him, and a punch from the girl’s right hand hit friend Olfsson at the same time as the Dunmer’s left, and Olfsson went down hard. And as a change, more cheering and clapping.

“Uh...Okay.” said Vilkas. “Come on then, outside.”

I looked to where I had deposited my pack.

“Oh, don’t worry about thieves in here...We’re paid too much to need to steal stuff.” Said friend Farkas, “Unless you play cards with Torvar, then your money will disappear.”

With a shrug, I walked around the long, three-sided table in the centre of the room, and followed friend Vilkas out the back of Jorrvaskr.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Apr 15 2012, 05:05 AM
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Apr 15 2012, 07:02 AM
Post #37

Master
Group Icon

I was - yet again - stunned by the idea of turning the boat over and using it as a roof...Mad those Bethesda people are... ...

Well, according to various bits and pieces we've dug up, the Vikings used to do that in real life. Made sense, too, seeing as your longship's big, waterproof and pretty sturdy. Just stick a good log underneath each corner and you've already got the makings of a first class mead hall.

Again, great stuff, and the fight between 'Wolfshead' and the companions was a fun read. Not to mention you managed to slip in a few good one-liners in here too; '“J’Zirlo of New Kvatch,” I said as I shook his hand, “also thanks to my mother.” And grinned'

All in all, great stuff!
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Apr 15 2012, 07:58 PM
Post #38

Master
Group Icon

Traditional Nordic sounds. laugh.gif

Wolfshead. I agree with Kodlak. Love it.

Poor Vilkas, having to test the knights. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 16 2012, 01:04 AM
Post #39

Paladin
Group Icon

This was a fun and rowdy romp through the mead hall! The ongoing backdrop of the threesome fight was nicely done. Hmm, seems to be a sip of tension betwixt Whitemane and Vilkas.

I had to laugh when J’Lo drawing steel distracted Olfie into the double whammy which coaxed him to the floor. ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 16 2012, 05:20 AM
Post #40

Councilor
Group Icon

Neat observation about Dragonsreach, all those times charging up the steps and I have never looked at how it is built. I love how you’re writing Farkas. I’m going to expect to hear your dialog when I’m in Jorrvaskr now!

Ah! Perhaps this brother of Farkas’ would provide answers. Perhaps not. We shall see.

J’Zirlo is such a treat! happy.gif He had me laughing again in the next part with his description of the friendly brawl, or rather of Njada’s cursing. Nice that it was J’Z’s sword that got Olfsson's attention over the two Companions he was fighting.

I’m really enjoying this! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Grits: Apr 16 2012, 05:21 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:10 AM