71 Pages V « < 67 68 69 70 71 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are you reading?
Decrepit
post Mar 3 2023, 01:00 AM
Post #1361

Master
Group Icon

At 1702 this afternoon, 02 Mar 2023, at the very tail-end of supper, I concluded an initial read of Bart D. Ehrman's Lost Christianities: The Battles for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew. This is not an attack on religion but a scholarly delving into different forms of Christianity that co-existed early on and how the group Ehrman labels "proto-orthodox" eventually won out, thus becoming Orthodox (as would any of the others had they come out on top). It relatedly discusses how religious texts used by these early sects came to be included in, or ejected from, what eventually coalesced into the New Testament.

This has been my Kitchen Table reading material for quite a long time. I read it during suppers, anywhere from a few paragraphs to a few pages at a sitting. Not ideal, but it survives such treatment better than would a long novel with complex plot advancement and character development. I was, without difficulty, able to comprehend everything Ehrman discusses, not always a given for me with books of this sort. I recommend it to anyone interested in the subject matter.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Mar 3 2023, 01:02 AM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 11 2023, 08:46 PM
Post #1362

Master
Group Icon

Oops! I'm now reasonably near the end of Dumas' The Three Musketeers. My plan was to devote much of the afternoon to further closing that distance. It was not to be. I'd not been on the sofa long when the dreaded "Low Battery, Recharge your Kindle" appeared onscreen. That's happening now. As usually happens, I took advantage of the situation to transfer Project Gutenberg downloads acquired since my last recharge. There weren't many this time.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 12 2023, 03:30 PM
Post #1363

Master
Group Icon

At 0454 this morning, 12 Mar 2023, just prior to leaving the sofa to prepare breakfast, I concluded an initial read of Alexandre Dumas' historical fiction swashbuckling action drama The Three Musketeers. This book took me a while to come to grips with, seeming at first little more than non-stop action featuring four over-the-top egocentric characters I couldn't drum up much enthusiasm for. I almost DNF'd it. I'm glad I didn't. It got better as it went along. The characters took on more depth. Their situations became more serious. Or so it seems to me. I particularly like the book's closing drama, beginning when "Milady" initiates her quest for vengeance. In the end, I consider it a very solid read, but don't (yet?) place it among my all-time favorites.

I like it well enough to have discovered that The Three Musketeers is the first novel in Dumas' six-part D'Artagnan series, which ends with Man in the Iron Mask. I DL'd those entries I did not already possess from Project Gutenberg earlier this morning.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Mar 12 2023, 03:39 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 15 2023, 08:56 PM
Post #1364

Master
Group Icon

I thought the reading slump that plagued me off and on during the latter portion of 2022 was some books in the past. Upon finishing The Three Musketeers early on the 12th it returned, with no forewarning, in high gear. I've not been able to read a thing. I start book after book, only to stare at the Paperwhite screen for minutes on end without reading anything, then move on the something else that produces the same result, eventually giving up and returning to the computer room.

In other words, I've no idea what I'll tackle next.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 17 2023, 09:41 PM
Post #1365

Master
Group Icon

(So much for my reported severe reading slump. All it took was finding the right book.)

At 1406 this afternoon, 17 Mar 2023, I concluded an initial read of Yashka, My Life as Peasant, Exile and Soldier, the autobiography of Maria Botchkareva, Commander of the Women's Battalion of Death, as set down by Issac Don Levine not long after her escape from what would soon be known in the west as the Soviet Union. The Project Gutenberg e-book is transcribed from its initial 1919 publication. I do not know if it has seen subsequent publishings.

Maria led quite a life. Born in Tsarist Russia, she endured poverty and outright brutality throughout childhood and early adulthood. Her life changed for the better upon miraculously persuading authorities to let her join the Tsarist army as a front-line combat soldier during WWI, unheard of up til then. We witness her slowly (sometimes not so slowly) gain the respect of her comrades and grow to be accepted by them as just another soldier. A rather remarkable soldier, earning a number of medals for heroic acts. We witness the revolution, during which the Russian army disintegrated as an effective fighting force, first by changes made by the first successful wave of revolutionaries, worsened as the second wave, the Red Soviets, comes to power. It was during the first wave that Yashka, as she was known by the army, fed up with its inability to fight the German foe, talked the high brass into allowing her to form the "Women's Battalion of Death", the idea being to shame other troops into returning to their duty upon seeing women storm the enemy trenches. Alas, despite Yashka and the Battalion's best efforts, and they were commendable, the army's desire to fight was too far diminished, not helped by the growing influence of the Red element. Things go downhill quickly for Yasha, the Battalion, and Russia itself. The remainder of the book documents Yashka's resignation from the military and her struggles to stay alive in an environment where many want her dead, ending with her escape to the U.S. and England.

The book is well written by Levin, Botchkareva herself being semi-illiterate. This, combined with her fascinating life, make it an easy recommend.

ADDENDUM:
Since typing the above, research has revealed that Yaskha returned to Russia and was executed by the Reds in 1920 for activities supporting the Whites.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Mar 18 2023, 11:01 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 19 2023, 09:51 PM
Post #1366

Master
Group Icon

At 1528 this afternoon, 19 Mar 2023, I concluded an initial read of the Project Gutenberg e-book transcription of François Mauriac's 1922 short novel The Kiss to the Leper, translated from the French by James Whitall. I reckon this one to be a slice-of-life character study focusing on a physically repulsive, disease-ridden young man and the pretty young woman chosen by the town priest to marry him. Strong religious convictions come into play. This wasn't really my cup of tea but I enjoyed it, better than some titles I ought to have been more inclined toward, truth be told.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Mar 19 2023, 09:56 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 22 2023, 02:36 PM
Post #1367

Master
Group Icon

A bit of potentially good news on the local front. I found out Monday that Barnes & Noble now plans to reopen in the city ten miles from me. Not in the city's now-largely-unoccupied sole big mall, where they were pre-2021 tornado, but at a street intersection very near where an earlier, long gone mall used to be. While this isn't as big a deal to me as it would have been had I not converted to e-books (and Amazon, thanks to owning a Paperwhite), it's still a great development for the area, and invaluable to readers, like my brother, without web access (or are simply not web savvy).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 25 2023, 12:31 PM
Post #1368

Master
Group Icon

At 0333 this morning, 25 Mar 2023, I concluded a long-overdue initial read of George Orwell's 1949 dystopian classic Nineteen Eighty-four (or 1984, as my e-book titles it). Well-known as it is, there's no sense in my attempting to concoct a synopsis of the work. Needless to say, I enjoyed it. Quite a lot. Also needless to say, I find much of its contents applicable to our current situation. But such matters are best left unexplored in forums such as this.

Mine is an ultra-cheap edition (well less than $1USD at Amazon) that also includes Orwell's Animal Farm, as yet unread.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 26 2023, 02:06 PM
Post #1369

Master
Group Icon

At 2112 yesterday evening, 25 Mar 2023, I concluded an initial read of George Orwell's relatively short Animal Farm. This is part of an inexpensive Amazon e-book twofer also containing 1984, finished earlier the same day. Here we witness rebellion against tyranny, establishment of just and benevolent governance, the hijacking of that society by corrupting forces, and its gradual metamorphosis into an authoritarian regime as bad as, if not worse than, the system in place prior to the initial rebellion. It's compelling, thought-provoking reading. In other words, I enjoyed it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 10 2023, 12:25 AM
Post #1370

Master
Group Icon

At 1342 this afternoon, 9 Apr 2023, I concluded a sixth read of Elizabeth Moon's Sheepfarmer's Daughter, book one of her The Deed of Paksenarrion fantasy trilogy. Its initial read occurred July 1988, the most recent Dec 2014. I had not planned to read it. After finishing Owell's Animal Farm Mar 25, I attempted initial reads of a good many e-books housed on my Paperwhite. The only one that lasted much beyond a chapter before throwing in the towel was Don Quixote. Were it a shorter work I might have stuck with it, but in the end decided I didn't want to dedicate myself to so huge a book that I liked but wasn't in love with.

At that point it became obvious that I needed to reread a favorite, which Sheepfarmer's Daughter is. As expected, I was immediately hooked and stayed hooked until the end. Well-known as it is, I'll not bother to supply a synopsis.

I will almost certainly finish the trilogy. I don't know that I'll continue on with Moon's later Paksenarrion books. Her several Gird-centric entries didn't do much for me. Nor was I completely sold on her Paladin's Legacy series. In fact I'm not sure I ever got around to buying its final entry.

As to Sheepfarmer's Daughter, it of course gets a strong recommendation.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 10 2023, 12:46 PM
Post #1371

Paladin
Group Icon

I read The Deed of Paksenarrion quite some time ago. Indeed, it notably influenced the paladin lore found in Buffy fiction. Good book.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 20 2023, 01:11 PM
Post #1372

Master
Group Icon

Since last posting, I have completed Elizabeth Moon's The Deed of Paksenarrion; book 2, Divided Allegiance on 15 April; book 3, Oath of Gold, yesterday evening 19 April 2023. Both received their fifth readings. I've always held this trilogy in high esteem. This new reading does not alter my opinion of it. If anything, I might now think more highly of it.

Upon finishing Oath of Gold, I was so hyped up that I decided to continue on with Oath of Fealty, book one in Moon's Paladin's Legacy series, despite not being overly impressed during its initial read. Alas. Mine is a fairly hefty hardback edition. Hardbacks of its size are difficult for me to hold while lying down nowadays. Since I do almost the whole of my "serious" reading lying down, I've pretty much had to abandon them. I gave it a try last night, only to admit defeat only a few pages in. Thankfully, Amazon's Kindle edition is only 2.99USD (plus tax). Following a bit of soul-searching, I bit the bullet and bought it this morning. Which reminds me that I need to recharge the Paperwhite.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 24 2023, 11:58 PM
Post #1373

Master
Group Icon

At 1600 this afternoon, 24 Apr 2023, I concluded a second read of Oath of Fealty, book one of Elizabeth Moon's Paladin's Legacy series. Its initial read occurred Apr 2010. I considered it mediocre at the time. This reading I really enjoyed it. A page-turner. It helped, I think, that I began it immediately after finishing The Deed of Paksenarrion, without reading any of the Gird books in between. I will most definitely continue on with Kings of the North, which I own in a mass-market paperback edition (and am thus able to read while lying on the sofa).

I also read the non-fiction title War is a Racket, by General Smedley Butler (1881-1940). I got wind of it thanks to a YouTube video reference. Butler, a 33-year military veteran, as he puts it, was for most of that time "a high-class muscle-man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers." What drew me to the book is the time period it covers, approximately the tail end of the 19th century to the beginnings of World War II, prior to the U.S. official involvement. It's a short work. What's in it makes for interesting reading. That said, I don't know that it's worth investing more in than the S0.99+tax my Kindle edition cost. Considering its 1935 copyright date, it might be best to hold off a few years and see if it becomes available at Project Gutenberg.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 25 2023, 12:06 AM
Post #1374

Ancient
Group Icon

Smedley! You might also want to check out the book Gangsters of Capitalism by Jonathon Katz. He dug deep into Smedley Butler's life, and early 20th century US Imperialism in general. The Behind the Bastards podcast has talked about him as well. He comes up in their Behind the Police series. He is also heavily featured in the Business Plot episode in their Behind the Insurrections series.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 25 2023, 12:15 AM
Post #1375

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Apr 24 2023, 06:06 PM) *

Smedley! You might also want to check out the book Gangsters of Capitalism by Jonathon Katz. He dug deep into Smedley Butler's life, and early 20th century US Imperialism in general. The Behind the Bastards podcast has talked about him as well. He comes up in their Behind the Police series. He is also heavily featured in the Business Plot episode in their Behind the Insurrections series.

Thanks. I've written these down for easy reference and will investigate.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 30 2023, 03:20 PM
Post #1376

Master
Group Icon

Catching up on April reads, I finished two more books, as reported below (copied from my reading log):

04/27/2023: 1806 “Paladin’s Legacy, book 2: Kings of the North” by Elizabeth Moon (second read)
04/29/2023: 0834 “Paladin’s Legacy, book 3: Echoes of Betrayal” by Elizabeth Moon (second read)

I continue to enjoy Paladin's Legacy far more than during its initial read, and am now over 100 pages into book 4: Limits of Power.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post May 3 2023, 05:15 PM
Post #1377

Master
Group Icon

Just prior to lunch today, 03 May 2923, I concluded a second read of Limits of Power, penultimate entry in Elizabeth Moon's Paladin's Legacy series. As with all previous entries, I like it far better this reading than I did during its first read. A surprise is how much I'd forgotten between readings. Basically, I recalled nothing whatsoever, except for one isolated chapter very near the end, which brings one long-time cast member's story to an almost certain close.

As mentioned, I never got around to acquiring the fifth, final entry, and had no burning desire to do so. Just before starting this message I bought it in Kindle e-book format from Amazon. (Amazon refers to the series as Legend of Paksenarrion, though individual books still say Paladin's Legacy on their covers.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post May 7 2023, 03:52 PM
Post #1378

Master
Group Icon

At 0924 this morning, 07 Apr 2023, I concluded an initial read of Crown of Renewal, bringing to a close Elizabeth Moon's Paladin's Legacy series. Unless memory fails me, always a possibility, these books saw a greater shift in my opinion of them than any other. For the better. During their initial reads (of books 1-4), I was not impressed. Books one and two were a bit of a struggle. Books two and three were bought only because I found them used for a good price. I never bothered to acquire book five (until this read). This reading, they grabbed my attention from the get go and held it until the fat lady sang. I don't know that Paladin's Legacy will enter my long-in-need-of-reevaluation pantheon of top-tier fantasy series, but I now hold it in very high esteem.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: May 7 2023, 03:59 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post May 13 2023, 08:09 PM
Post #1379

Master
Group Icon

At 1327 this afternoon, 13 May 2023, I concluded a second read of Surrender None, book one of Elizabeth Moon's two-volume The Legacy of Gird. As with at least one Paladin's Legacy title, I recalled absolutely nothing about it beforehand. Nor did reading it again stir any memory of that prior read. In my defense, that initial read occurred mid-1990, appreciable longer ago than my first reading of the Paladin's Legacy books.

I do know that I found the book fairly mediocre back then. This time round, my opinion of it has increased, though I don't rate it as highly as either Deed of Paksenarrion or Paladin's Legacy.

I debate continuing on with the final Paksenarrion related title in my possession, Liar's Oath, a work Moon, in her prelude to Crown of Renewal, says that "no one likes". As with Surrender None, I recall nothing of its 1992 initial read, other than that it didn't overly impress.

If not Liar's Oath, I have no earthly idea what I'll tackle next.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post May 15 2023, 08:04 PM
Post #1380

Master
Group Icon

I'm near the end of Elizabeth Moon's novella Deeds of Honor, a grouping of short stories set in the Paksenarrion universe. The plan was to finish it ere supper, which should have been easy to do. It isn't. Much to my surprise, I was warned that its battery was very low. Sure enough, only 5% charge remained. That happens every so often, though I usually get the warning at a safer 12ish percent. The perplexing thing is that I charged the Paperwhite to 100% yesterday afternoon, during my brother's visit. Why in the world did it drain so fast? A freak occurrence? Going bad? In any case, it's now plugged into my secondary computer. It'll take a few hours to fully charge, meaning I won't be able to use it until after supper.

--------------------
+Quote Post

71 Pages V « < 67 68 69 70 71 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:21 AM