Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dragon Age: Origins, Archery, Multi-Classing, etc...
SubRosa
post Aug 28 2020, 03:29 AM
Post #21

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Aug 27 2020, 09:14 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 27 2020, 06:14 PM) *

I played some more Dragon Age again yesterday. This time out I created January. An Elf did not look right for her in this game, so I made her a Human. She is a Warrior, since there are no Monks or Paladins. This meant I did the Human Noble origin for the first time. It was interesting. One thing I like about DA:O is the origins. They give a unique story for characters of each race. The only one I have not done now is the Dwarf Commoner origin.

Of course the downside is that to do that there are only 3 races, and 3 classes to choose from. Plus you have your character's history forced on you by the game. Rather than something you can roleplay for yourself. It is one of those core differences in the two types of RPGS: One kind tells you a story, the other lets you tell your own story. Bioware typically makes the first kind.

I downloaded a couple of weapon and armor mods. But I don't think I will use them after all. This game is so old it wants the dvd in the drive to play it. Which got annoying. I did not want to use a no cd crack. So I found the game on Gog for just $4.99. They are having a Harvest Sale. So I bought it. It came with all the extras my Ultimate Edition dvd has, plus some more micro dlcs that add more items. So I am probably just going to use some of those dlc items.

I started January out as a two-handed weapon user. In DA:O you have 3 basic options for a melee fighter - Sword and Shield, Dual Wield, and 2 Handed. The 2 Handed attacks are slow however. So I switched it up to experiment with a Dual Wielder instead. I don't see January as a Sword and Boarder in this game. She is both a heavy hitter and defender.

But Renee's pics keep making me want to play Fallout 3 again too. So I might hold off on playing more.

So would you be going for Templar for your “subclass”? Alternatively you could do mage and go Arcane Warrior?

I was thinking Champion for the subclass. They seemed the most like Paladins. I briefly considered a mage, but I have done that once, and I am not really sure how the Arcane Warrior will play. Instead I can make her a Warrior, and use the console to give her Lightning spells.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 28 2020, 04:48 AM
Post #22

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 27 2020, 09:29 PM) *

I was thinking Champion for the subclass. They seemed the most like Paladins. I briefly considered a mage, but I have done that once, and I am not really sure how the Arcane Warrior will play. Instead I can make her a Warrior, and use the console to give her Lightning spells.

It’s been a long time since I played DA:O, and I must admit, I didn’t finish it. I just thought the Templars were kinda Paladin like in that they were trained to put down apostates.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 28 2020, 05:19 AM
Post #23

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Aug 27 2020, 11:48 PM) *

It’s been a long time since I played DA:O, and I must admit, I didn’t finish it. I just thought the Templars were kinda Paladin like in that they were trained to put down apostates.

TBH, I would compare the Templars to the SS, in that their job is to guard the Mages locked up in their concentration camp and kill them if they twitch.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 28 2020, 05:35 AM
Post #24

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 27 2020, 11:19 PM) *

TBH, I would compare the Templars to the SS, in that their job is to guard the Mages locked up in their concentration camp and kill them if they twitch.

Heh, indeed! Though I’m sure even the SS troopers romanticized themselves as some sort of gallant crusading warriors cleansing the world of what they perceived (read: brainwashed into believing) to be evil.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 28 2020, 05:54 AM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Aug 28 2020, 12:35 AM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 27 2020, 11:19 PM) *

Heh, indeed! Though I’m sure even the SS troopers romanticized themselves as some sort of gallant crusading warriors cleansing the world of what they perceived (read: brainwashed into believing) to be evil.

That is what all the propaganda was about. Himmler certainly bought into it. Check out Wewelsburg Castle. Himmler literally saw it as his Grail Castle, down to a round table. Plus a crypt with a black sun, Nazi baptisms, plans to bring the Spear of Destiny and other magical artifacts there, etc... Really creepy.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 28 2020, 07:02 AM
Post #26

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 27 2020, 11:54 PM) *

That is what all the propaganda was about. Himmler certainly bought into it. Check out Wewelsburg Castle. Himmler literally saw it as his Grail Castle, down to a round table. Plus a crypt with a black sun, Nazi baptisms, plans to bring the Spear of Destiny and other magical artifacts there, etc... Really creepy.

I had heard a little of this, but man, I didn’t realize it went into baptisms and stuff. Geez. “Really creepy” is putting it mildly, lol.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Aug 28 2020, 07:03 AM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Jan 2 2021, 11:24 AM
Post #27

Master
Group Icon

I remember being addicted to DA:O. I think that game single-handedly sparked my interest to games like Baldur’s Gate, which it advertised itself as that series’ spiritual successor. I also remember a Marilyn Manson song being used for one of its trailers.

The City Elf origin was my favorite, followed by the Dwarf Commoner. Ipso facto, my favorite literary OC, Ylenno from Bravil, was born by combining aspects from both. Class-wise, I always went for a dual wielding Berserker/Reaver though I have to say that the Arcane Warrior specialization is the most OP class as all hell. I remember solo’ing the Archdemon once on a play through with a character I named and modeled after Vivec. It was super fun. If you guys want to go on a dev-allowed God trip, go for the Arcane Warrior superclass. Because that’s what it is. And if you have the DLC, combine it with the Battlemage specialization from Awakening. You’ll probably never die once.

Rogues... yeah, they’re good for companions but as a class for the player? I found them useless AF. SubRosa was also right in that archery was wasted on them; you’d have a more effective Archer if you just went at it from a Warrior class.

Leliana was the one I always romanced and always took with me for her utilitarian skills. And I loved Sten because his stories were always so interesting; he and Oghren were kinda useless compared to Alistait tho, who was the Super Tank of the party. I really hope the next Dragon Age game set in Tevinter would do away with DA’s outdated model of limiting how many companions you can bring along. Or at least up the member count to like, 6 or something. I want to experience boss fights where my whole party is at my back, dang nabbit!

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Jan 2 2021, 10:05 PM
Post #28

Mouth
Group Icon

Agreed on rogues being better as companions than players. I always bring Leliana along for lockpicking and such, Wynne for healing, and either Alistair or Shale for tank (depending on dlc availability).

I think the two Dwarf origins would be my personal favourites - I thought Orzammar was really neat.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:07 PM