Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Skyrim Face and Body Mods, What Do You Use?
SubRosa
post Sep 19 2013, 09:22 PM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

This has come up a few times in other threads, so I thought it might be good to have a topic devoted to our characters and their makeover mods. There is a dizzying array of mods out that to add new bodies, face textures, and so on. What makes it worse is that many of them overwrite others either completely or in parts. So you might think you are using a mod, when actually another of your mods may have copied its own files over it.

I spent many, many hours working on my current loadout of appearance mods for males and females. It took a lot of trial and error and comparing files from every one to get to where I am at now (and I am sure I will be adding more!). It occurred to me that some lists and explanations of what each mod does might save other folks a lot of time and effort and frustration. So I started this topic.

First of all some basic tools. Paint.Net is a free graphics app that will let you open the .dds files that all the game's textures come as. Very handy for comparing the textures between mods. For Windows Vista, 7 or 8. Should work on 32 bit systems.

Nifskope is a free modelling program, that will let you open the .nif mesh files used by the game if you are curious.

!!!Some of these links are not work safe or kid safe!!!

I have spent a lot of time tweaking my appearance mod loadout for women (and for men too) So far what I am using is this, installed in this order (because some things overwrite parts of others):

Dimonized UNP Base Body - I deleted the two female body .nif files. That is because they not only one make all the female characters naked, but they change the body slider into nothing but a boob slider. So I essentially have the same body shape as the vanilla body, but get the higher res hands and feet. There are some high res body textures that comes with it, but almost all of them are completely overwritten by my other mods. There are underwear options with UNP, but I found one of them gives me CTDs. Which made me have to try an option to the optional underwear files. For me it was easier just to delete the two body .nifs.
Files: Meshes - femalebody_0.nif, femalebody_0.nif, femalebody_1.nif (I delete these two), femalefeet_0.nif, femalefeet_1.nif, femalehands_0.nif, femalehands_1.nif.
Textures - femalebody_1.dds, femalebody_1_msn.dds, femalebody_1_s.dds, femalebody_1_sk.dds, femalehands_1.dds, femalehands_1_msn.dds, femalehands_1_s.dds, femalehands_1_sk.dds.

Seamless UNP and Coverwomen #4 - This is the Seamless option to Coverwomen look #4. There are four looks, each with differing amounts of glam. #4 is the no-glam, normal look. The seamless UNP version of it is meant to reduce the neckseams that you get when using texture mods. Unlike the title, it is not really seamless. But it does help.
Files: Female Folder = femalehead.dds, femalehead_msn.dds, femalehead_s.dds. Race Folders = femalehead_msn.dds.

Sub Surface Full Body Map for Coverwomen and UNP UNPB bodies - What this does is work on those texture seams, and it does a very good job. I can still see a bit, but not very much after it.
Files: femalebody_1_sk.dds, femalehands_1_sk.dds, femalehead_sk.dds. (So this is overwriting parts of the UNP texture files, but not all of them).

Fitness Body (using the UNP Fitness Main Body - with optional Lesser Abs) - This mod makes the female bodies look more fit. It has different downloads for UNP and CBBE, and different flavors for each. Inside each rar you download are even more options. It all depends on how muscular you want to look.
Files: femalebody_1_msn.dds, femalehands_1_msn.dds. (note that this overwrites parts of the UNP body, but different parts than Sub Surface Full Body Map does, so these two mods play nice)

Women of Skyrim (with optional smooth faces for elves). Women of Skyrim adds a huge amount of detail to your character faces, to the level where you can see individual pores on their faces. It is not really a glam mod so much as it is a high detail mod.
Files: Female and Race Folders = femalehead_msn.dds. (Incompatibility warning! If you install this before Coverwomen it will be completely overwritten and do nothing. So it must be installed after Coverwomen.)

Detailed Lips. Like the name says, it gives the lips much more definition. It does not overwrite any files in any other mods I have, so I am not going to list the filenames. I stopped using this one after a while, since the new lip textures did not quite line up with the other face textures.

Numenume Female Brows. This one adds a lot of new eyebrow types to choose from in character generation. I think they are more realistic looking than the vanilla brows, and almost always use over the ones that came with the game. As with Detailed Lips, it does not overwrite anything, so it plays nice with your other mods.

These affect both male and female characters. The install order does not matter:
Natural Eyes - This is a texture replacer for the vanilla eyes. It makes them look a lot more vibrant, so you can actually tell what someone's eye color is!

Mystic Eyes - This adds some new fantasy-looking eyes. Lots of bright, almost glowing colors. Good for characters that are supposed to have an otherworldly look. Also plays nice with other eye mods like Natural Eyes.

Cherry's Eyes - also adds more nice eyes, and plays nice with Natural Eyes and Mystic Eyes.

Superior Lore Friendly Hair. This mod gives the vanilla hair much more definition and uses a higher res texture for them. The end result is it does not have that greasy, plastered look anymore. There are different versions for how high resolution you want go, and how rough you want your hair to look. I use the first option for most characters - HD 2K Straight Hair, but did use the Less Saturated version for one character who had white hair, as it helped get the color out of her hair. Should play nice with other mods.

Instead of SLF Hair, I have been using AOF Believable Hair -Female and Male for the texture of hair instead.

Eyebrows Match Hair. A nice little mod that makes your eyebrow color match your hair color. How could Bethesda have missed this!

For new hairstyles, I recently started using Apachii Sky Hair with the option Sky Hairs Female in addition to the base mod, and ShowRaceMenu Precache Killer to keep Apachii from crashing the game whenever I open the Race Menu. I also use Apachii Sky Hair Wigs for my custom races. It has some of the hairstyles from Apachii available as wigs, so using ShowRaceMenu is not necessary to use them.

I also use Ponytail Hairstyles, which plays nice with Apachii.

Here is a sample of Sofie Persephonesdottir with the mods above

Lucia Persephonesdottir

Finally, for Sausages alone I use this:
Better Males - Younger Faces Merged With Men By Geonox. There are a lot of options available, including nekkid and erect penii. I use the Younger Faces Merged With Men By Geonox, which keeps their underwear on, but their skin looking good.

Ralof is much happier with it. (Though he still needs a bath!)

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Dec 6 2014, 08:38 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 20 2013, 01:07 AM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

WOO HOO! Great idea for a thread, SubRosa! It is so much easier to have it all in one place rather than me having to make giant quote so I can find them again next time, lol. Awesome, and you are so appreciated!

The way you explained the over-writing on Grits's thread today was understandable to noobs/idiots like me, and suddenly I understood what you were saying. That may be what my issue is with my mod list on Oblivion now that you've spelled it out I'll have to check it now, lol. Thank you for this thread!

I'm adding it here for anyone who missed it:

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 19 2013, 03:29 PM) *

It can be really tough to keep track of what comes from where. You have to crack open the .rar files of each individual mod and compare which ones have the same names, and be sure to install them in the right order so that the ones you want overwrite the files of the others. For example, Coverwomen installs femalehead.dds, femalehead_msn.dds, and femalehead_s.dds. Women of Skyrim installs femalehead_msn.dds. So you have to install it after Coverwomen, or it does nothing at all. I have a long, convoluted list in the Skyrim Pics thread of how I went about that. I suspect that No More Blocky Faces is being completely overwritten by Coverwomen. But since you are not using anything for men, it still works there. You might look at Better Males for them, its a newer mod and does a lot more.

This post has been edited by mALX: Sep 20 2013, 01:09 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Sep 20 2013, 03:34 AM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

I use Unique Character so the Aravi specific mods only affect Aravi. This mod is not perfect, and there are some screw ups that happen based on the version you use. One of them does not path correctly for werewolves, and the other one didn't path something really important. I don't remember what it was, but it made me choose the one that didn't do the unique werewolves. I have .esm version.

For Aravi I use the Slim version of Dimonized UNP Body

Her body textures are Khajiit leopard textures that I modified in Paint.NET. I also combined the normal file (bump map) that comes with the leopard textures with one from the Fitness Body mod that SubRosa linked. Most of the muscle is lost in the Khajiit fuzz, but you can still see some.

Aravi's face textures come from Coverkhajiits.

I think I am using Natural Eyes that SubRosa linked.

I am using the Better Males mod as well.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 20 2013, 03:20 PM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

OK, I’ve been fighting with Better Males and I finally reached a good mix for Jerric. The problem was that the Genox face was too smooth for Nords even in the “Detailed” version. So I used the Genox Detailed .dds and _s.dds with the No More Blocky faces _msn.dds. There’s a little neck seam, but it’s the same as with the Genox normal map so that makes me think it's an issue with the FavoredSoul "dirty" body texture (also from the Better Males mod) that I chose. It's not there with the other provided body textures.

I’ll do the same thing if the orc males look too smooth. I haven’t seen one in the game yet. Huge thanks for your in-depth description of what you did with your game, SubRosa. I keep a complete copy of the mods I use along with the backups of any files that get overwritten, so once I figured out what goes where I was able to just swap files around manually until I got the look I wanted.

Here’s an explanation I found of what the different files do, perhaps helpful for others like me who are just dipping a toe into the water. I found it in this thread on the Nexus forums.

.dds = diffuse map, the compressed texture itself
_msn.dds = should be the body's normal map
_s.dds = well since the specular map is in the _n.dds alpha i guess this is a gloss/shine map
_sk.dds = if i remember right these maps contain sub surface details

Next up: learning how to clean up neck seams. hehe.gif

Oh, also a mention about FavoredSoul’s “dirty” body texture. It’s not actually dirty with dirt, rather it has the freckles and such on the skin that are absent in the other versions. There may be a picture somewhere on the Nexus that illustrates that, but frankly there’s a limit to how much dong I’m willing to look at so I probably just missed it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 20 2013, 03:57 PM
Post #5

Ancient
Group Icon

@ SubRosa - Hrafngoelir is gorgeous! I just saw that!

@ Grits - that link is some great information! Copying the full comment here:

_s.dds = well since the specular map is in the _n.dds alpha i guess this is a gloss/shine map

Biggest impact would have the change/edit of the .dds map since it contains the "real texture",

_msn.dds - the normal map defines 3D details - simulates more details on a low polygon surface. There should be the specular in its alpha channel (black=dark,white=bright ingame). A "faked" normal map itself can be generated with Nvidia DDS plugin for Gimp/PS from the texture itself.

_s.dds - just had a look on it in PS, seems similar to the other object's _m.dds, same color sheme as the specular map mentioned in the _msn.dds. Black = dark, less reflection/gloss, white = the opposite.

_sk.dds - well you see its details in Gimp/Photoshop

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Sep 20 2013, 06:34 PM
Post #6

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Sep 20 2013, 09:20 AM) *

_sk.dds = if i remember right these maps contain sub surface details[/indent]

One of these two files is just black. It is used to add shadow type details to low areas in the normal or bump map. If you forget this file, your character will look like they are almost glowing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 20 2013, 07:50 PM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 19 2013, 08:07 PM) *

WOO HOO! Great idea for a thread, SubRosa! It is so much easier to have it all in one place rather than me having to make giant quote so I can find them again next time, lol. Awesome, and you are so appreciated!

The way you explained the over-writing on Grits's thread today was understandable to noobs/idiots like me, and suddenly I understood what you were saying. That may be what my issue is with my mod list on Oblivion now that you've spelled it out I'll have to check it now, lol. Thank you for this thread!

Do not feel bad. Everyone goes through it at one time or another when using mods. For a while I was using No More Ugly Bronze Shine and SubSurface Full Body Map, but eventually I realized that they both use exactly the same files! So I was only really using the last one I had installed. The first one had been completely copied over. That is what made me start to really look at what files are in the mods I use, and start comparing them to others.

QUOTE(King Coin @ Sep 19 2013, 10:34 PM) *

I use Unique Character so the Aravi specific mods only affect Aravi. This mod is not perfect, and there are some screw ups that happen based on the version you use. One of them does not path correctly for werewolves, and the other one didn't path something really important. I don't remember what it was, but it made me choose the one that didn't do the unique werewolves. I have .esm version.

For Aravi I use the Slim version of Dimonized UNP Body

Her body textures are Khajiit leopard textures that I modified in Paint.NET. I also combined the normal file (bump map) that comes with the leopard textures with one from the Fitness Body mod that SubRosa linked. Most of the muscle is lost in the Khajiit fuzz, but you can still see some.

Aravi's face textures come from Coverkhajiits.

I think I am using Natural Eyes that SubRosa linked.

I am using the Better Males mod as well.

I am still using CoverKhajiit and the Leopard Textures, even though I have not played Aravi in a long time. They both look much better than vanilla. I still have Unique Character too, but I have never gotten around to trying to use it! embarrased.gif

QUOTE(Grits @ Sep 20 2013, 10:20 AM) *

OK, I’ve been fighting with Better Males and I finally reached a good mix for Jerric. The problem was that the Genox face was too smooth for Nords even in the “Detailed” version. So I used the Genox Detailed .dds and _s.dds with the No More Blocky faces _msn.dds. There’s a little neck seam, but it’s the same as with the Genox normal map so that makes me think it's an issue with the FavoredSoul "dirty" body texture (also from the Better Males mod) that I chose. It's not there with the other provided body textures.

I’ll do the same thing if the orc males look too smooth. I haven’t seen one in the game yet. Huge thanks for your in-depth description of what you did with your game, SubRosa. I keep a complete copy of the mods I use along with the backups of any files that get overwritten, so once I figured out what goes where I was able to just swap files around manually until I got the look I wanted.

Here’s an explanation I found of what the different files do, perhaps helpful for others like me who are just dipping a toe into the water. I found it in this thread on the Nexus forums.

Next up: learning how to clean up neck seams. hehe.gif

Oh, also a mention about FavoredSoul’s “dirty” body texture. It’s not actually dirty with dirt, rather it has the freckles and such on the skin that are absent in the other versions. There may be a picture somewhere on the Nexus that illustrates that, but frankly there’s a limit to how much dong I’m willing to look at so I probably just missed it.

I suggest trying Sub Surface Full Body Map. I found it really helped me with the neckseams. Also make sure the Coverwomen version you are using is also the one for reduced neckseams with UNP as well. There is a regular #4 and a reduced seams with UNP #4. You might have the regular version.

Just to throw in some more info about the filetypes:

Diffuse Maps [*.dds] are your base texture, how it looks without applying any lighting or other things to it.

Normal Maps [*_msn.dds] are a form of bump mapping. It is a way that you can make a 2 dimensional picture appear to have 3 dimensional qualities, or "bumps". It's done by applying the effects that lighting would have on bumps or other 3-D artifacts, even though the mesh itself might be flat.

Specular Maps [*_s.dds] determine how shiny a texture is. Those are the _s files. The blacker they are, the less shiny those regions are.

Sub Surface Texture Mapping (or Subsurface Scattering) [*_sk.dds] is a way to determine how much light penetrates a translucent surface, scatters underneath, and reemerges somewhere else. It gives a much more realistic look to textures.

There is only so much dong you can look at? Obviously the reverse is not true of most men on the Nexus... wink.gif

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Sep 20 2013, 08:07 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 24 2013, 05:18 AM
Post #8

Ancient
Group Icon

What is the "Unique Character" mod? I couldn't find it on Nexus.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Sep 24 2013, 02:32 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

There is a link above. It gives the player character unique mesh, texture, werewolf, and vampire paths. So you can use one body mod for your character and have the rest in the game use a different one. Or if your character is supposed to have a unique tattoo, you can use that and the tattoo won't appear on every other NPC.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 26 2013, 10:13 AM
Post #10

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Sep 24 2013, 09:32 AM) *

There is a link above. It gives the player character unique mesh, texture, werewolf, and vampire paths. So you can use one body mod for your character and have the rest in the game use a different one. Or if your character is supposed to have a unique tattoo, you can use that and the tattoo won't appear on every other NPC.

Doy! I missed that! Lol. Thanks, KC !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 27 2013, 08:05 PM
Post #11

Ancient
Group Icon

I stopped using Superior Lore Friendly Hair, as it was altering the hair color too much, making everything too dark. It is too bad, because it made the hair's texture look excellent. But nothing is the right shade with it. I never really noticed it with Mielikki because her hair is white, but now that I am experimenting with other characters, it has become very noticeable.

Right now I am experimenting between Telthalions Finer Hair and AOF Believable Hair -Female and Male

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 27 2013, 08:40 PM
Post #12

Councilor
Group Icon

I went a different route with hair and changed the meshes: Better Vanilla Hairs Mesh Replacements.

My focus was on the guys, since the girls get Apachii hairdos. So far anyway.

I tried a few methods:

Here's vanilla hair, here's Superior Lore Friendly's Rough texture option with vanilla mesh, and here's Better Hairs mesh with vanilla texture.

I stuck with the third one that has the shorter braid.

Now I want to try AOF's. Lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Sep 27 2013, 09:05 PM
Post #13

Master
Group Icon

I like the way AOF looks. May have to give that a try. A note, the mod author said they included a FOMOD installer, and those sometimes don't work well with NMM without some rearranging.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 27 2013, 09:36 PM
Post #14

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Sep 27 2013, 03:40 PM) *

I went a different route with hair and changed the meshes: Better Vanilla Hairs Mesh Replacements.

My focus was on the guys, since the girls get Apachii hairdos. So far anyway.

I tried a few methods:

Here's vanilla hair, here's Superior Lore Friendly's Rough texture option with vanilla mesh, and here's Better Hairs mesh with vanilla texture.

I stuck with the third one that has the shorter braid.

Now I want to try AOF's. Lol.

I was looking at the Better Vanilla Hairs Mesh Replacements, but I found one of the female styles with braids looked kind of odd. So I didn't use it.

I like the third option on Jerric. It has the most texture to the texture, if that makes any sense.

QUOTE(King Coin @ Sep 27 2013, 04:05 PM) *

I like the way AOF looks. May have to give that a try. A note, the mod author said they included a FOMOD installer, and those sometimes don't work well with NMM without some rearranging.

I used the regular loose files download of AOF, and turned it into and .omod with Tes Mod Manager. It only has about two files though.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Sep 27 2013, 09:39 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 27 2013, 10:17 PM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

In other news, I tried to go back to play one of Revansch's saves. But I could not get it to work. The mod I had modded to add her race had gotten fubard between updates, and caused the game to CTD on startup. Interestingly enough, I can still load Revansch's saves without it, but she is not quite the same as she used to be... laugh.gif

So I had no choice but to create an entirely new race mod from scratch (instead of altering a race from another race mod, like I did with Revansch). It took a while, but now I have a brand new Deadwalker Race mod, incorporating all my regular body mods in the first post.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Nov 2 2013, 01:34 AM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

Thought of Jerric when I saw this mod...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Nov 2 2013, 10:36 AM
Post #17

Finder
Group Icon

I've begun using CNHF v2_5 Female Body Replacer? by calyps n nuska. It's the only female body mod that doesn't make me want to vomit. I'm a simple guy. I have but one hard-and-fast rule about female body mods: it should not make me want to hurl. That's all I ask.

For a body texture I use UNP pubic hair #1. This is probably the most hairy texture I have ever seen. I love it.

I've given up trying to find a face texture mod that doesn't strip away all the life and vitiality from faces. It seems as though every time I test a face texture mod it transforms my poor characters into blank, drooling, featureless, robotic, botoxed, cheerleader wannabes who trip on their high heels as they try to get their Gucci purses and cell phones past the revolving doors of the neighborhood tanning salon. So in my current game I am using vanilla face textures, weirdly striated nose texture and all. I think the vanilla textures, for all their faults, have more personality than most of the modded face textures I have seen. But I'm still searching.

My current character, Aemyn Eawulf, is using Ponytail Hairstyles v2_5? by Azar. For other characters I have used Apachii.

For male bodies I just go with meshes and textures from Sundracon's mod. I don't use an .esp for armor or use any face or hair textures because I don't play male characters. If they don't like it, tough. They can go get their own video game if they dislike it so much.

This probably doesn't fit the topic but hey, it's a pet enthusiasm of mine (as you can probably tell from looking at my avatar). I'm speaking of course of a face piercing mod: Piercing by newermind43. I've turned the piercings into armor. For each character I make one piercing into a "helmet" so I can get the benefits of perks.

I stick a barrel of these things wherever my character is going to start her game. There must be about 15 of them scattered around Skyrim now. I see them everywhere I go. Faendal bumps into them when he's trying to carry wood. "Who put this barrel of nose rings in the middle of the street?" he says, glaring at everyone around him. Faendal can get kind of cranky until you resolve his "romantic problem." A lot cranky, actually. I find its best to just stay out of his way until I'm ready to help. You'd think that after two years he'd get up the nerve to do something about the situation himself. But no.

This post has been edited by Pseron Wyrd: Nov 2 2013, 11:16 AM
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 22 2013, 05:52 PM
Post #18

Councilor
Group Icon

I really like Piercing. Thanks, Wyrd. Simple styles without a lot of chains and whatnot dangling all over.

To my fellow n00bs: In Piercing there is a slight hiccup with the folders. Inside the Textures folder you need to make a folder titled N_43. Then move the Rings folder that is inside the Textures folder into your new N_43 folder. The whole Rings folder, not just the files. Now your rings will be shiny and silver.

If you want black-colored rings, skip the above.

Getting the hoop earrings into a different slot that won’t conflict with my fur cloaks will be another learning experience for me. And of course Valdi wants a gold nose ring, which I guess is an entirely different series of disasters educational opportunity. For this mod it will be worth it!

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Dec 22 2013, 06:51 PM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Dec 22 2013, 10:52 AM) *

Getting the hoop earrings into a different slot that won’t conflict with my fur cloaks will be another learning experience for me.

Ok this might be difficult. In Oblivion you could use TES4Edit and just assign a new slot and that was it.

You might be able to do that with Skyrim, but for some reason, there is something in the back of my mind that's saying you are going to have to use NifSkope too and edit the mesh as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 22 2013, 07:09 PM
Post #20

Councilor
Group Icon

I don’t have TES5Edit or NifSkope yet, so this is another project I’ll set aside for now. (Along with recoloring the Solitude shield for Jerric. wacko.gif) I’ll surely report the entire drama when I get that far! laugh.gif Thanks, KC!

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:38 AM