Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer issues, Viruses, trojans, crashes, install problems etc
mALX
post Jan 3 2020, 12:33 AM
Post #801

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jan 2 2020, 06:07 PM) *

Also I feel I must clarify that I’ve changed nothing about what I’m running on my PC. No new games, launchers, anything. It’s like it just decided this week to start being ornery, after running perfectly since it was first switched on in 2016. laugh.gif

But you did move in the last six months; is it possible something might have been joggled to not connecting properly in that move?

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jan 2 2020, 06:27 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jan 2 2020, 05:07 PM) *

Also I feel I must clarify that I’ve changed nothing about what I’m running on my PC. No new games, launchers, anything. It’s like it just decided this week to start being ornery, after running perfectly since it was first switched on in 2016. laugh.gif

I assume Windows 10 didn't 'update' itself (one of the major updates, like 1803 to 1903/09) around the time this started? Could your graphics driver have automatically updated?

Ooh, that is a really good point.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jan 3 2020, 12:42 AM
Post #802

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 2 2020, 05:27 PM) *

Yeah; most def get it off the carpet. And if it just started this week; it could very well be being aggravated by heating your house for the winter. (it wouldn't be the cure; just eliminate the extra burden of the heated house)

But is there a way to make sure if it is the GPU (and not the fan) that is failing?

Lol, the heat has barely been on it’s been so hot outside around here, lol

Buddy of mine told me about some programs I can download that should tell me what’s going on.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 3 2020, 12:43 AM
Post #803

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 2 2020, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Dec 31 2019, 10:50 AM) *

Anybody here ever have an issue where you would be playing a game and the monitor would go to a black screen but you can still hear things going on in the game? I’m so afraid my gpu is dying on me D:

Going back to my days as doing tech support, have you checked the cable? It might just be loose.

Ooh, that is a good point too; especially since he just moved in the last 6 months!

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jan 3 2020, 01:03 AM
Post #804

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jan 2 2020, 05:27 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jan 2 2020, 05:07 PM) *

I assume Windows 10 didn't 'update' itself (one of the major updates, like 1803 to 1903/09) around the time this started? Could your graphics driver have automatically updated?

I’m running Win7 and it’s been a couple weeks since it did an update. I also checked the drivers and nothing changed there.

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 2 2020, 03:47 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Dec 31 2019, 10:50 AM) *

Anybody here ever have an issue where you would be playing a game and the monitor would go to a black screen but you can still hear things going on in the game? I’m so afraid my gpu is dying on me D:

Going back to my days as doing tech support, have you checked the cable? It might just be loose.

Like the cable from the gpu to the mobo? Yeah I checked it it’s fine.

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 2 2020, 05:33 PM) *

But you did move in the last six months; is it possible something might have been joggled to not connecting properly in that move?

This is very true but why would it start causing trouble 2 months later? Besides, I checked the cables and they all were secured so *shrugs*

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 3 2020, 01:10 AM
Post #805

Ancient
Group Icon

This could also be a bad monitor, not your video card. If you can borrow/use another one, that would narrow things down.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jan 3 2020, 01:39 AM
Post #806

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 2 2020, 06:10 PM) *

This could also be a bad monitor, not your video card. If you can borrow/use another one, that would narrow things down.

Good call. The thought that my monitor was messing up did cross my mind when trying to connect into the integrated graphics of the mobo didn’t work.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Jan 3 2020, 01:40 AM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 3 2020, 02:55 AM
Post #807

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jan 2 2020, 07:39 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 2 2020, 06:10 PM) *

Good call. The thought that my monitor was messing up did cross my mind when trying to connect into the integrated graphics of the mobo didn’t work.

You might also try replacing your monitor cable first. That is the cheapest thing to start with.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jan 3 2020, 02:57 AM
Post #808

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 2 2020, 07:55 PM) *

You might also try replacing your monitor cable first. That is the cheapest thing to start with.

Lol, that was actually the first thing I tried because I thought something went wrong with cable!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jan 13 2020, 11:50 PM
Post #809

Ancient
Group Icon

Welp, the day is upon us. Windows7 is at the end of the road as far as official support goes. Currently running the program to update to Windows10. sad.gif

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 14 2020, 12:43 AM
Post #810

Paladin
Group Icon

For what it's worth, I've been running W10 for several years with no problems. I hope you enjoy the same results.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jan 14 2020, 02:16 AM
Post #811

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Jan 13 2020, 05:43 PM) *

For what it's worth, I've been running W10 for several years with no problems. I hope you enjoy the same results.

Lol, I’m sure it’ll be fine. I’m just kind of like ol’ ‘Rocu and a bit resistant to change. Just not quite as extreme! tongue.gif

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 14 2020, 04:33 PM
Post #812

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Well, if it's extreme wanting to keep what works then yeah; colour me extreme biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 14 2020, 05:42 PM
Post #813

Councilor
Group Icon

I still have a 40-year-old 8 bit computer with a monochrome (amber) monitor. You're not extreme at all.

I just wish I'd had space for the 60-year old mainframe computer I was once offered. I could probably afford the electricity to run it now. ohmy.gif

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 14 2020, 06:00 PM
Post #814

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jan 14 2020, 11:42 AM) *

I just wish I'd had space for the 60-year old mainframe computer I was once offered. I could probably afford the electricity to run it now. ohmy.gif

... and the tool shed to store it in.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 14 2020, 06:28 PM
Post #815

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Jan 14 2020, 06:00 PM) *

... and the tool shed to store it in.

... and the time to watch it figure out what 1+1 is rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 14 2020, 06:32 PM
Post #816

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Jan 14 2020, 12:00 PM) *

... and the tool shed small warehouse to store it in.

Those things were enormous. The water cooling units wouldn't fit in the tool shed, let alone the computer itself. A tape drive was the size of a fridge/freezer, and a disk drive the size of a washing machine. The CPU unit was about the size of my shed. Most other peripherals were desk-sized, and you'd have a card punch, card reader, printer, all wired together with cables four inches thick.

The one I was offered had 16,000 bytes of memory, and 7MByte disks. I forget what the capacity of a twelve-inch reel of tape was. Not a lot, at only 200 bits/inch.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Jan 22 2020, 08:35 PM
Post #817

Master
Group Icon

That sounds amazing to have though.

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 23 2020, 12:45 AM
Post #818

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jan 14 2020, 12:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Renee @ Jan 14 2020, 12:00 PM) *

... and the tool shed small warehouse to store it in.

Those things were enormous. The water cooling units wouldn't fit in the tool shed, let alone the computer itself. A tape drive was the size of a fridge/freezer, and a disk drive the size of a washing machine. The CPU unit was about the size of my shed. Most other peripherals were desk-sized, and you'd have a card punch, card reader, printer, all wired together with cables four inches thick.

The one I was offered had 16,000 bytes of memory, and 7MByte disks. I forget what the capacity of a twelve-inch reel of tape was. Not a lot, at only 200 bits/inch.

A company I worked for had one the size of a room = a Honeywell.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 23 2020, 07:52 PM
Post #819

Spam Meister
Group Icon

This is something I read in the comment section of a youtube video. I'll repost it here because I think it sounds like good advice.

--------------------------

As a computer technician at a large corporation, I constantly have people bringing me their computers to be fixed, they never use Adblock they either use Chrome or Edge, most of them just stick with Windows Defender- don't have any spyware removal software, defragers, or any real cleanup tools on their computers. And almost all of them have the exact same issue, they clicked on some ad in something or a bad email, and then when their computer started acting slow they just kept restarting it.

First rule of business, if you think your computer is being hacked or your computer has a virus- do not restart your computer. Leave it up and running and sever the internet connection If somebody's hacking into your computer this will completely break their connection, and if it's a virus it will slow the spread. The next thing to do is to immediately clear cache on your browsers- all of it. Most viruses start in a cache folder, either audio cash or internet cash is their favorite point of entry.

Once you have severed your internet connection clear your cache if you still have control of your computer set Windows Defender to do a deep scan, if it wants to restart don't let it. When you restart you leave your computer wide open to attack during the boot up process. If it's a virus, if you can download even just the free version of avast or any of the other good ones like Malwarebytes, download it and run a deep scan. After you've completed these steps if the antivirus client fails to find anything, or your computer locks up and does not allow you to do anything, take your computer to the professionals to be cleaned up. And folks, always backup your computer.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jan 23 2020, 10:07 PM
Post #820

Master
Group Icon

I'll chime in on defragging, since it's mentioned within your quote. SSDs and M.2s don't benefit from it. If anything, defragging can shorten their lives. I assume it's still beneficial for 'conventional' disk drives? That said, there 'might' be some benefit to defragging even SSDs to totally remove threats of infection, but I've never come across mention of it.

I use both Avast antivirus freeware and paid-for Malewarebytes. I like Avast a lot, except it's forever pushing its non-free software. Up until recently it also tried to sneak in Chrome browser every timer it upgraded itself. I don't allow that on my computers. As mentioned in the past, I feel Brave Browser is a better yet similar alternative. I still prefer Firefox, but Brave is a solid backup browser. In fact, I use it as a primary browser on my secondary computer, leaving Firefox for my brother's use during visits.

--------------------
+Quote Post

79 Pages V « < 39 40 41 42 43 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:31 AM