> Books.
Dantrag
post Jul 8 2005, 01:47 PM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

Tell us your favorite books!

Then we can discuss them or something.

Mine are - all books on Drizzt by R.a. Salvatore, (I don't want to list em all, and you don't want to read all the titles) The Sword of Truth series by terry Goodkind, LotR (of course), A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin, Demonwars by R.A. salvatore, All of Robert Jordan's books that I have read.

--------------------
"Its when murder is justice that martyrs are made"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Jul 8 2005, 01:50 PM
Post #2

Mage
Group Icon

Legend and First Chronicles of Druss the Legend by David Gemmell are my two favourite books to date
EDIT: Oh and Magician by Raymond E. Feist

--------------------
IPB Image

D�anaim smaoineamh, d� bhr� sin, t�im ann - Descartes

Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. - G.K. Chesterton

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
treydog
post Jul 8 2005, 03:15 PM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

Any Terry Pratchett- particularly the Night Watch and Witches books.

Raymond Feist

Robert Crais- (1st person L.A. private eye novels)

Raymond Chandler

George R.R. Martin (already mentioned)

David Gemmell
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Jul 8 2005, 03:31 PM
Post #4

Wizard
Group Icon

QUOTE(treydog)
Any Terry Pratchett- particularly the Night Watch and Witches books.

Raymond Feist

George R.R. Martin (already mentioned)

I can do nothing but agree here, especially Feist, I just reread some of his books and they're still amazingly well written. hard to find books written better then those I think.

Terry goodkind also deserves a place here I think. his sword of truth series is nearing it's climax and I cannot wait as it's also great.

David eddings then, with the belgariad and the mallorean created a beautifull world. and his characters are equally beautiful.

--------------------
All that is needed for evil to triumph, is that good men stand idle.
+Quote Post
milanius
post Jul 8 2005, 03:44 PM
Post #5

Agent

I've finished all 6 books about Thomas Covenant (Stephen Donaldson) and all I can say is that took out some 35% of my heart. The damn saga is just one great suffering after another :paperbag2: but it was still nicely written.

--------------------
Zlo činiti od zla se braneći,
tu zločinstva nema nikakvoga

Petar II Petrovic Njegos
(1813-1851)
+Quote Post
Kuukulgur
post Jul 8 2005, 04:21 PM
Post #6

Agent

*Tolkien's stuff, really great masterpieces.
*Pratchett, to a certain limit. Too much Pratchett makes everyone crazy.
*Anne McCaffrey's "Dragonriders of Pern" series.
*Robert Jordan's books. Especially "The Eye of the World".
*C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" biggrin.gif Looking forward to the movie...

Also, I just finished reading Christopher Paolini's "Eragon". Not bad at all. When the second part of the Heritage trilogy comes out, I might add it to my favourites...

--------------------
He who knows everything, knows he knows nothing.
+Quote Post
gamer10
post Jul 8 2005, 04:29 PM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

Sabriel, By Garth Nix
The Seventh Tower By Garth Nix

Uhhh . .

Oh yes, another

Great Expectations
+Quote Post
MerGirl
post Jul 8 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #8

Mouth
Group Icon

[quote=Dantrag]
Mine are - all books on Drizzt by R.a. Salvatore, (I don't want to list em all, and you don't want to read all the titles) [/quote]

Ooh, I've heard about that guy. I would really like to read about him, but I'm not sure where to start. I've seen the Trilogy of the Dark Elf, IceWind Dale books, and some other Trilogy involving Drizzt. Which of the books should I start with? How are the books? Are they action-packed? He sounds interesting from what I've heard of him.

Hmm... I really have no favorite books that are... up-to-date. I haven't read a good book in forever. (In fact, I still have BabySitter's Club/Goners/Sabrina the Teenage Witch books in my bookshelf!)

My dad keeps buying fantasy books, but they were really boring. The strange thing is, I used to love fantasy books. Now, I hate most of them because of their predictable-ness, angsty-ness, and/or mushiness.

Has this happened to anyone? That you used to love a certain series/genre and then, later on, you start to hate the books in that genre.

My favorite books in the past, and I still love and treasure: "The Hobbit" (but not any of the LoTR books, don't like them at all), most of the books by Brian Jacques, books by C.S. Lewis ("The Lion, Witch, and The Wardrobe", etc), "Ella Enchanted", Sabrina the Teenage Witch series and the DeathGate series.

Nowaday, I read manga, game/anime magazines, and random books.
+Quote Post
Fuzzy Knight
post Jul 8 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

[quote=Dantrag]Tell us your favorite books!

Then we can discuss them or something.

Mine are - all books on Drizzt by R.a. Salvatore, (I don't want to list em all, and you don't want to read all the titles) The Sword of Truth series by terry Goodkind, LotR (of course), A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin, Demonwars by R.A. salvatore, All of Robert Jordan's books that I have read.[/quote]
Agree.. Agree... AGREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! biggrin.gif At least when it comes to R. A. Salvatore's books, its just great. I'm a huge fan of at least his Drizzt Series, and soon going over to other FR Novels, not all by him but they are very good I've heard.. :goodjob:
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jul 8 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #10

Councilor
Group Icon

[quote=MerGirl][quote=Dantrag]
Mine are - all books on Drizzt by R.a. Salvatore, (I don't want to list em all, and you don't want to read all the titles) [/quote]

Ooh, I've heard about that guy. I would really like to read about him, but I'm not sure where to start. I've seen the Trilogy of the Dark Elf, IceWind Dale books, and some other Trilogy involving Drizzt. Which of the books should I start with? How are the books? Are they action-packed? He sounds interesting from what I've heard of him.[/quote]

lots of questions. In order -

dark elf trilogy, Icewind Dale, Legacy of the Drow, Paths of darkness, Hunter's Blades.

Very good.

Yes, but also have good character development and emotions...and all the good stuff.

There you go.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Jul 8 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #11

Master
Group Icon

my favorites are the books by:

Bernard Cornwell (the Grail Quest in perticular)

Mercedes Lackey (The Valdemar Series)

Harry Harrison (The Stainless Steel Rat series)

Brian Jacques (The RedWall books)

The Grimm Brothers (self explanatory)

Douglas Adams (The Ultimate Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy)

Margaret Wels & Tracy Hickman (Dragon Lance Cronicles)

Lotr are pretty good, Harry Potter is ok, and thats about it.

(whew that was more then I thought I read wink.gif)

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
ED 209
post Jul 8 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #12

Unregistered

I liked 1984, by George Orwell, I've never been as frightened by an idea before. (The idea of absolute totalitarianism).
+Quote Post
gamer10
post Jul 8 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #13

Master
Group Icon

I don't read much Harry Potter, don't like the way the series is headed. The first three books were okay, maybe the fourth.

Now, it appears that the author is just throwing stuff in to fill some extra pages. Make the book a little thicker.
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Jul 8 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #14

Master
Group Icon

lol looks that way with the book sizes. you got a point there too.

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
ED 209
post Jul 8 2005, 11:46 PM
Post #15

Unregistered

[quote=gamer10]
...Now, it appears that the author is just throwing stuff in to fill some extra pages. Make the book a little thicker.[/quote]

I like H.P., the way I look at it is that her fanbase is growing up as the books get released. The same people who bought the Philosepher's Stone would probably not enjoy the latest book if it was as easy to read as the Philosopher's Stone, whereas when they first read it when they were younger, they probably felt overloaded by it.
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jul 8 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #16

Councilor
Group Icon

Yeah, I hate it when some authors realize that they have an eternal money flow at the tips of their fingers, and start to write crap, knowing that fans will buy it, if only to see how the story ends.

Robert Jordan is a fine example. Though I love his books, he has gone crazy.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Red
post Jul 9 2005, 05:26 AM
Post #17

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(ED 209)
I liked 1984, by George Orwell, I've never been as frightened by an idea before. (The idea of absolute totalitarianism).

How dare you beat me to 1984! I love all his books from his humble start of down and out in Paris to the idea of "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING". I think my favourite though is Animal Farm. "And all of the pigs and humans stood upright yelliing and bickering, until you couldn't tell them apart". I like how after he found out about Stalin's strange victories and terrible decisions, he rewrote it.

Another great writer is Steven King. I never want to see an animal cemetary again. But ever since he stopped doing drugs and stopped drinking, his creative genious has been lost.

Other greats are The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Brothers Grimm, various childrens writters and many others that my joy of my new and beautiful computer makes me forget.

EDIT: Forgot the Illiad, Odyssy and everything bye Edgar Allen Poe. Never more.

This post has been edited by Red: Jul 10 2005, 04:06 AM

--------------------
//LEFT ARM PULLS TRIGGER, RIGHT ARM SHRUGS SHOULDER//TRANSMISSION ENDED
+Quote Post
Semidi
post Jul 9 2005, 06:50 AM
Post #18

Associate

Iliad
Collective writings by edgar allan poe
Dante's Inferno

Well I enjoy plays and poetry more then just books so I'll include them anyway.

King Lear, Macbeth, and Hamlet by Mr. Shakespear, Oedepus trilogy by sophecles, and my favorite poems are How Hath Time by John Milton and a dream within a dream by Mr. Poe. I also must include the Raven by poe.

I'm also a fan of RA. Salvatore's work, piers anthony, and david eddings.

--------------------
82 Paladins Diablo 2 (RIP)
52 Redguard Fighter morrowind (retired)
64 Orc Battlemage morrowind
60 troll mage World of Warcraft (retired)
360 average wasted days in a year
+Quote Post
Fuzzy Knight
post Jul 9 2005, 12:04 PM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

[quote=Dantrag][quote=MerGirl][quote=Dantrag]

Ooh, I've heard about that guy. I would really like to read about him, but I'm not sure where to start. I've seen the Trilogy of the Dark Elf, IceWind Dale books, and some other Trilogy involving Drizzt. Which of the books should I start with? How are the books? Are they action-packed? He sounds interesting from what I've heard of him.[/quote]

lots of questions. In order -

dark elf trilogy, Icewind Dale, Legacy of the Drow, Paths of darkness, Hunter's Blades.

Very good.

Yes, but also have good character development and emotions...and all the good stuff.

There you go.[/quote]
Hunter's Blade is clearly my favorite... Really cool to follow Drizzt's life outside the Underdark against Many-Arrows etc. :goodjob:
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jul 9 2005, 02:44 PM
Post #20

Councilor
Group Icon

I liked the dark elf trilogy a lot more...

And hunter's blades was good because now Salvatore won't have to write any more looooong scenes in which Drizzt ponders his love for Cattie-Brie and how it could never work....bah dee friging blah. Now they are together and NO MORE BORING, REPITITOUS SCENES!!!! (I swear, that's happened at least 32 times in the 17 book series.)

FREEEDOM!

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:19 AM