255 Pages V « < 219 220 221 222 223 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are you playing?
Decrepit
post Oct 10 2020, 03:16 PM
Post #4401

Master
Group Icon

Several days ago, I noticed an unexpected loco on my Train Simulator 2021 roster. Research proves it to be provided by what I assumed was 'merely' a Passenger Coach asset pack needed by one of two locos purchased from Caledonia Works. It's a spiffy little loco, a 4-2-2, sometimes referred to as "Single" for its single pair of driving wheels, with one of my favorite whistle sounds to date. I feel I might have learned something of the relationship between Reverser and Regulator while driving it. Here are a few images, one showing it in Caledonia Railway photo gray, the other in London Midland & Scottish Railway crimson.

(link) Caledonia Railway "Single" in photo gray (link)

(link) London Midland & Scottish Railway "Single" in crimson (link)

It comes to me that I've not yet provided an image of the Highland Railway "Jones Goods" loco. I have now.

(link) Highland Railway "Jones Goods" steam locomotive in green (link)

Sunday afternoon addendum:
Just finished a passenger run pulled by a Great Western Railway 4-6-0 "Grange" steam locomotive. It's prolly the most powerful of the TS2021 locos I've attempted to drive. Lots more power than I'm used to. Was worried I'd not know how to handle it, especially coming to stop at the session's destination station. Ended up being, subjectively, my best drive yet. No engine issues. No speeding infractions. (I generally get one or two of those a session.) Not only did I arrive at the end station almost to the second of our scheduled time, but also managed to stop the train exactly where I wanted it, with loco and tender just past the platform so that all coaches fit properly.

I tried a run with the GCR 9N earlier, only to bail when it was obvious the loco would run out of water well before reaching its destination. That's happened twice with the 9N. No idea why it's such a water guzzler. I suspect it might have more sophisticated control requirements than I am yet able to comprehend. I'll try and pay more attention next time I take it for a spin, though I've no idea what to look for.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Oct 12 2020, 08:10 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Oct 12 2020, 07:32 PM
Post #4402

Master
Group Icon

Just bought EA for Baldur's Gate 3.

We'll see how it is tomorrow. Still not finished, just went to early access last week. Act 1(most of) is there, they claim about 20 to 25 hours of content. Not all races and classes are available.

Still looks like fun.

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 13 2020, 02:28 AM
Post #4403

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Oct 12 2020, 01:32 PM) *

We'll see how it is tomorrow. Still not finished, just went to early access last week. Act 1(most of) is there, they claim about 20 to 25 hours of content. Not all races and classes are available.

Still looks like fun.

I’m very interested in this game. Let us know what you think!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Oct 13 2020, 02:19 PM
Post #4404

Master
Group Icon

Yesterday's numerous TS2021 attempts were an embarrassment. They began with coupling practice. I assumed this would further hone skilled learned while practicing coupling some days ago. Turns out I've forgetting everything I'd learned. What's more, after numerous replays of the tutorial I still can't get the hang of it. The root of the problem is, I believe, that I don't know how to 'crawl' a steam loco. Not in TS2021. I can in Trainz2019, after a fashion. Enough to get the job done. There has to be some concept I simply haven't yet fathomed. Capping my TS2021 day, I again attempted a moderately long run with a GCR 9N. And again ran out of water. An earlier, short 9N run saw me overshoot the destination station. A fluke?

Speaking of the 9N, here's a nifty video of it by a fellow who knows his business:

(video) TS2-2019 Review: Caledonia Works GCR class 9N (video)

On a positive note, while watching the above it came to me that I've misunderstood what the UI controls for Fire and Water represent. If true, this is likely why I run out of water mid-route. I'll experiment later today(?) and hope for the best. (Or at least the better.)

My DFU avatar continues to carry out assignments for the various organization of which he is a member. None of his recent activities stand out as worthy of lengthy discussion in our dedicated Arena/Daggerfall thread.

Tuesday afternoon ADDENDUM:
As threatened, I made another TS2021 GCR (Great Central Railway) 9N passenger run, utilizing what I gleaned from the above linked video. Success! As suspected, the loco had plenty of water all along. It just hadn't been reaching the boiler. Between that, a better feel for maintain coal level, and better coordination between reverser/regulator, the train purred along, start to finish. I even managed to stop it at the destination station exactly where it needed to be almost to the foot. Wish I'd 'filmed' it. If I had, it would likely have ended in disaster, knowing my recent luck.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Oct 13 2020, 05:46 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Oct 13 2020, 07:40 PM
Post #4405

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Oct 13 2020, 03:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Oct 12 2020, 01:32 PM) *

Still looks like fun.

I’m very interested in this game. Let us know what you think!

I'm debating on what to play. I started a Drow ranger and am getting the itch to run the tutorial on a few others to see what I like.

Level cap is 4.

Thinking maybe githyanki. Cleric or wizard. Or warlock. Or something. Hm..

Your companions encompass a wide range of stuff.

Human wizard and human warlock. Half elf cleric. Elf(sorta) rogue. Githyanki fighter. Playable races: two flavours of elf, two flavours of Drow(warring sects I think), three flavours of half elf, two dwarves, two halflings, three tieflings, humans, githyanki.

Playable races have "subraces", high and wood elf, etc. Half high elf, half wood elf, half Drow.

Playable classes: wizard, warlock, cleric, fighter, rogue, ranger. They're going to add more. They're missing 3 races I think, and at least three classes. Probably more. I think the goal is everything in 5e.

No subclassing yet.

Premise is simple. You got abducted by mind flayers. They put one of their tadpoles in your head. You gotta figure out how to get rid of it. It apparently takes place after the Descent into Avernus module takes place. Illithids are dying out or some crap so they abduct a crapload of people to impregnate with tadpoles to turn them into mind flayers. I'll have to do more reading, but the summary I just gave you is evident in the first cinematic (which is really well done) before you even start playing. Should check it put. It's sick lol.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 13 2020, 09:12 PM
Post #4406

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Oct 13 2020, 01:40 PM) *

I'm debating on what to play. I started a Drow ranger and am getting the itch to run the tutorial on a few others to see what I like.

Level cap is 4.

Thinking maybe githyanki. Cleric or wizard. Or warlock. Or something. Hm..

Your companions encompass a wide range of stuff.

Human wizard and human warlock. Half elf cleric. Elf(sorta) rogue. Githyanki fighter. Playable races: two flavours of elf, two flavours of Drow(warring sects I think), three flavours of half elf, two dwarves, two halflings, three tieflings, humans, githyanki.

Playable races have "subraces", high and wood elf, etc. Half high elf, half wood elf, half Drow.

Playable classes: wizard, warlock, cleric, fighter, rogue, ranger. They're going to add more. They're missing 3 races I think, and at least three classes. Probably more. I think the goal is everything in 5e.

No subclassing yet.

Premise is simple. You got abducted by mind flayers. They put one of their tadpoles in your head. You gotta figure out how to get rid of it. It apparently takes place after the Descent into Avernus module takes place. Illithids are dying out or some crap so they abduct a crapload of people to impregnate with tadpoles to turn them into mind flayers. I'll have to do more reading, but the summary I just gave you is evident in the first cinematic (which is really well done) before you even start playing. Should check it put. It's sick lol.

Is the first cinematic the same as the first trailer they released for it where the guard turns into an Illithid?

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Oct 13 2020, 09:20 PM
Post #4407

Master
Group Icon

Negative. This one's been on a few gaming websites and shows the tadpole scene.

It looks just as good as the trailer too. Gross, but good.

I state premise of the game mostly in the interest of letting those on the fence know what's going on so they can determine if it's too gross for them. I'm not bothered by it, but I showed my husband the Diablo 4 trailer and all he could say was "ew gross", so gross isn't for everyone.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 13 2020, 09:22 PM
Post #4408

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Oct 13 2020, 03:20 PM) *

Negative. This one's been on a few gaming websites and shows the tadpole scene.

It looks just as good as the trailer too. Gross, but good.

I state premise of the game mostly in the interest of letting those on the fence know what's going on so they can determine if it's too gross for them. I'm not bothered by it, but I showed my husband the Diablo 4 trailer and all he could say was "ew gross", so gross isn't for everyone.

I saw a video of a player character removing an Intellect Devourer from a living husk, so I’m good with gross, lol.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Oct 13 2020, 09:28 PM
Post #4409

Master
Group Icon

Yeah that's in the tutorial.

https://youtu.be/_hqgv0pU0EM

Yes it's just a YouTube link, wait til you get home so it doesn't try making you dl the app again.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 13 2020, 10:00 PM
Post #4410

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Oct 13 2020, 03:28 PM) *

Yeah that's in the tutorial.

https://youtu.be/_hqgv0pU0EM

Yes it's just a YouTube link, wait til you get home so it doesn't try making you dl the app again.

Lol it played just fine! Must just be ‘Rocu’s links my phone hates. That was a cool intro! Loved the dragons!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Oct 14 2020, 08:28 AM
Post #4411

Master
Group Icon

Yeah it was pretty cool.

I'm still tryin to figure out the game's controls too. haha

It's fun. biggrin.gif

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 14 2020, 03:00 PM
Post #4412

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Oct 14 2020, 02:28 AM) *

Yeah it was pretty cool.

I'm still tryin to figure out the game's controls too. haha

It's fun. biggrin.gif

I’ve been reading some negative reviews and the whole time I’m thinking “Do you even play video games?” or “It’s EARLY ACCESS! What did you think that means?! You are basically paying to be a big tester!”. I just don’t get people sometimes.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Oct 14 2020, 08:13 PM
Post #4413

Master
Group Icon

Most of the people complaining either a) don't realise you're basically beta testing, B) complaining it's too similar to another game by the same studio AND same engine, or c) Baldur's Gate purists that won't accept anything short of another BG2 and don't give it half a chance because of a) and B).

This post has been edited by Sakiri: Oct 14 2020, 08:13 PM

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Oct 15 2020, 02:18 AM
Post #4414

Master
Group Icon

Early this afternoon I installed a freeware TS2021 route. Gave it a test run via QuckDrive with my latest acquisition, a Caledonian Railway 439-class 0-4-4 steam locomotive, pulling a string of passenger coaches. Here is an image of it steaming along a stretch of 15mph track near the session's destination station:

(image) Photo-gray Caledonian Railway 439-class steam loco (image)

Here it is again, in weathered LMS crimson:

(image) LMS 439-class steam loco at destination station (image)

In other news, I freed up much-needed space on one of my two gaming partitions by uninstalling the game Ark: Survival Evolved. I'd not played it in ages, so no great loss. Being Steam based, I can get it back any time I want.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Oct 15 2020, 02:20 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Oct 15 2020, 08:44 PM
Post #4415

Master
Group Icon

So much for my promise not to purchase more TS2021 DLC this month. Reading through recent posts on Steam's Train Simulator discussion forum, someone alerted us to a fairly new (2019) route being discontinued. A British route: Cornish Mainline, Plymouth to Penzance. Modern, alas, not steam era. Still, I can run steam trains on it via QuickDrive. (I can do most anything I want if and when I learn how to create my own scenarios.) It is on sale for half price through either the end of the day today or sometime tomorrow. Then, POOF! How could I resist? I can tell you how. But it's besides the point, as I took the plunge.

Sticking with TS2021, earlier today I made several QuickDrive runs on the North Lincolnshire Railway. Am not displeased with either, though neither was close to flawless. Luckily for you guys I concentrated on driving so captured no images.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Oct 15 2020, 09:02 PM
Post #4416

Master
Group Icon

Haha! Excellent.

I think I'm gonna make a Drow warlock tomorrow in BG3.

Can't go evil though, I never go evil. ><

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 15 2020, 11:15 PM
Post #4417

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Oct 15 2020, 03:02 PM) *

Haha! Excellent.

I think I'm gonna make a Drow warlock tomorrow in BG3.

Can't go evil though, I never go evil. ><

Well not all Drow are evil. Just most of them, lol

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Oct 16 2020, 02:27 AM
Post #4418

Master
Group Icon

You guys aren't off the hook after all, it seems. A few captures from my most recently acquired TS2021 Route, Cornish Mainline - Plymouth to Penzance, appear below. Seen is a crimson lake Caledonian Railway 439-class steam loco pulling a passenger train alone the mainline and paused at a Railway Station. This route contains an "up-slope from hell". At least it was for the 439. It went on and on and on. Boiler Pressure kept dropping, as did the train's speed. About the time Boiler Pressure reached 88 (it should have been in the low 170s!) a message popped up saying the train had derailed. My guess is that it had something to do with the Boiler having a hissy fit. Admittedly, a better steam loco driver than me (not hard to find) likely would have avoided catastrophe.

(image) crimson lake Caledonian Railway 439-class steam loco pulled passenger train travels the Cornish Mainline (image)

(image) crimson lake Caledonian Railway 439-class steam loco pulled passenger train pauses at a railway station along the Cornish Mainline (image)

In image two I manage to stop the train exactly where I wanted it, with the loco forward of the station platform, as close the roadway as it can get without blocking it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 16 2020, 05:44 AM
Post #4419

Ancient
Group Icon

So did the pirates of penzance sabotage your boiler?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Oct 19 2020, 08:26 PM
Post #4420

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 15 2020, 11:44 PM) *

So did the pirates of penzance sabotage your boiler?

That would make an interesting scenario for sure! Alas. Retried that scenario with the same loco/railcar combo, with like result in more of less the same spot. Tried it with a different loco/railcar combo. Same ending. I originally assumed "A.I. derailment" means game's A.I. derailed 'my' train for some reason unbeknownst to me. I'm now certain it means an A.I. controlled train in operation somewhere along the route derailed. My train is an innocent bystander. Either that particular QuickDrive configuration is glitched or the entire route is. I might try an uninstall-reinstall routine, far more practical with my now much faster internet connection.

My locos occasionally suffer from "Fatal Blowback on the Steam Engine". Finally got off my duff and researched it. It's caused by opening the firebox (to add coal) while in a tunnel. Don't recall if all my blowbacks occurred in tunnels, but the last several certainly did!

That's how my last two scenario attempts ended. The one prior let me drive to completion, but is marked as a failure. Too far behind schedule. Passed a warning signal (which I didn't see).

--------------------
+Quote Post

255 Pages V « < 219 220 221 222 223 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:53 AM