Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

706 Pages V « < 666 667 668 669 670 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coffee Shop Forever, It's time to kick bottom and drink coffee!
mALX
post Sep 26 2018, 04:57 PM
Post #13341

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Sep 26 2018, 07:28 AM) *

I just wanted to say I appreciate all of you. All. Of. You.

Positive energy to all of you and may we all have both a good ending to September and a good start to October. #KeepOnKeepinOn

D'Aaaw! Hug_emoticon.gif You are Awesome!!!

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Sep 26 2018, 05:28 PM
Post #13342

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Sep 26 2018, 01:28 PM) *
Positive energy to all of you and may we all have both a good ending to September and a good start to October. #KeepOnKeepinOn

Sending good wishes right back at you! smile.gif

Seeing how conditions for doctors in Slovenia are gradually becoming worse instead of better, I decided to learn German and I signed for a course which begins the next week and lasts for approximately 2 years. I plan to continue my career in Austria in 3-4 years time, conditions there are much better to work, not to mention their high salaries compared to ours.

It's really interesting how doctors in Europe migrate - those from countries south/southeast of Slovenia like Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia are coming to work to Slovenia because compared to their salaries, ours are very high and our working conditions are better. We, Slovenians, especially us that live in northern parts, go to work to Austria which is 30-40 minutes away by car while Austrian doctors often work in Switzerland because of even better conditions and higher salaries.

This post has been edited by Lopov: Sep 26 2018, 05:28 PM

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 26 2018, 06:47 PM
Post #13343

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Sep 26 2018, 11:28 AM) *

Seeing how conditions for doctors in Slovenia are gradually becoming worse instead of better, I decided to learn German and I signed for a course which begins the next week and lasts for approximately 2 years. I plan to continue my career in Austria in 3-4 years time, conditions there are much better to work, not to mention their high salaries compared to ours.

It's really interesting how doctors in Europe migrate - those from countries south/southeast of Slovenia like Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia are coming to work to Slovenia because compared to their salaries, ours are very high and our working conditions are better. We, Slovenians, especially us that live in northern parts, go to work to Austria which is 30-40 minutes away by car while Austrian doctors often work in Switzerland because of even better conditions and higher salaries.

People go where opportunities are. Your countrymen are leaving for better opportunities elsewhere, and people from those other areas are coming in to fill the void. It probably sucks for the ordinary people in the Balkans that have crap health care though.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 28 2018, 05:05 PM
Post #13344

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Sep 26 2018, 12:28 PM) *

Oh, that would be hard to move; leave your homeland - but Germany is amazing; especially medically! Germany, and especially the Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany is far advanced medically compared to many other countries (way better than the U.S.; but we are really far behind a lot of countries medically. My Father used to go to Canada whenever he needed surgery, their surgical procedure in Canada is far more advanced than ours).

Landstuhl has a program for premature infants that was groundbreaking and stunning; they have a much higher success rate than the U.S. for infants born under 1.5 pounds; and with none of the isolation/blindness/etc. that the premature infants in the U.S. have suffered.

I don't know how high the cost to cross in and out of Austria is; but it used to be extremely expensive to cross borders in and out of Switzerland. At the time I lived there it cost 400 U.S. dollars to cross one way; so most people I knew in Germany that worked in Switzerland would stay there months at a time and only visit home occasionally. The cost of living in Switzerland might be high; but not as high as going back and forth.

I don't know how much the cost of gasoline is in your homeland, but it is through the roof in Germany; and the gasoline is pure (not sure if you have pure gas where you live; but in the U.S. we can't get pure gasoline and the engine gaskets are cheap junk). My car ran like a dream in Germany; but when I brought it back home I had to replace all the gaskets where the pure gasoline ate through them, lol. My car never ran the same again, verysad.gif )

I loved Germany, loved the beauty of the land itself; but more than anything I loved the people there. I have treasured my memories of my time in Germany above almost any other memories I have. If you do go there, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 28 2018, 05:26 PM
Post #13345

Councilor
Group Icon

Lopov, best of luck with your course and your plans. Would you commute to Germany or move there? Where I live 30-40 minutes is a very good amount of time to spend on the way to and from work. Traffic is bad, and lots of people drive an hour or more.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 28 2018, 05:49 PM
Post #13346

Councilor
Group Icon

Slovenia and Austria are both Schengen zone countries, so I imagine there's no actual border to get in the way of a commute. However, you do need a road going in the right direction, and the historical borders sometime mean they didn't build one. How's that in the area you're considering?

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Sep 29 2018, 12:31 PM
Post #13347

Master
Group Icon

Oh, I wouldn't move to Germany or to Austria, I would still live in Slovenia but I would drive to work to Austria. I live in Maribor which is a town in the north of Slovenia and by car I have 20-25 minutes to Slovenian-Austrian border and another 20 minutes to the first complex of clinics where I could work. But I'd be prepared to drive even farther, if necessary, just not too far, because returning home in the evening and then going to work tomorrow in the morning isn't something I want, neither does my family.

Apart from driving, another downside of working abroad is the infamous working tax, in short - it means that you have to pay a tax to your home country if you work abroad. Only if you actually move to another country, you don't need to pay this tax, otherwise you have to and the higher your salary, the higher the tax.

@mALX - I didn't know you lived in Germany, that's nice! smile.gif My wife has many relatives in Germany because many years ago some of her uncles and aunts left there in search of a better life. My grandmother and grandfather also worked there for about ten years.

You don't need to pay anything to cross borders these days, fortunately.

We have pure gasoline too but fuel prices between Germany and Slovenia don't differ as much though Germany is still slightly more expensive. The cheapest fuel prices in Europe can be found on Canary Islands, I think. When my wife and me were there on a honeymoon, we couldn't believe how cheap is fuel there.

@Grits - thank you! we as a nation generally don't like driving too far to work, I guess it could be called Slovenian laziness, because we prefer to spend a lot of time with our families, work comes in second. laugh.gif I'd be prepared to drive for an hour maximally to one direction, but even this means two "lost" hours per day.

@ghastley - you're right, there's no border as long as you cross it on one of the main crossings but at smaller, more remote ones, there's still control, especially since massive migrations from Asia started years ago. There's still police stationed even at main crossings so if they spot something suspicious, they're likely to drive after you and stop you. For instance, vans are often stopped and checked, as to prevent getting people over border illegally.

I use some Internet site to help me remember German words better and it usually provides a meme to help you remember some word easily. Now look at what meme I got. :laugh:

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 22 2018, 04:18 AM
Post #13348

Ancient
Group Icon

Happy Thanksgiving Chorrol !!!!

https://s.hswstatic.com/gif/thanksgiving-orig.jpg

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 22 2018, 05:13 AM
Post #13349

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 21 2018, 09:18 PM) *

Happy Thanksgiving! So mALXie, you got any fun plans for the day?

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 22 2018, 08:26 AM
Post #13350

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 21 2018, 11:13 PM) *

No, our oven broke a month ago and hasn't been fixed yet = so no cooking at home. My son is going to his Girlfriend's house to have dinner there; but before he goes he is dropping me off a TG dinner from Cheesecake Factory. (some get-together they do for employees every Thanksgiving). I've been considering calling one of my friends and "inviting myself" to spend the day with them, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 22 2018, 03:18 PM
Post #13351

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 22 2018, 01:26 AM) *

No, our oven broke a month ago and hasn't been fixed yet = so no cooking at home. My son is going to his Girlfriend's house to have dinner there; but before he goes he is dropping me off a TG dinner from Cheesecake Factory. (some get-together they do for employees every Thanksgiving). I've been considering calling one of my friends and "inviting myself" to spend the day with them, lol.

It would be sad if you spent it alone sad.gif

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 22 2018, 03:21 PM
Post #13352

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 22 2018, 09:18 AM) *

Not really, I'd just get some uninterrupted play time on ESO or Fallout 3, laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 22 2018, 03:35 PM
Post #13353

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 22 2018, 08:21 AM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 22 2018, 09:18 AM) *

Not really, I'd just get some uninterrupted play time on ESO or Fallout 3, laugh.gif

Well this one hopes you have a good one regardless.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Nov 22 2018, 03:43 PM
Post #13354

Master
Group Icon

Yeah, mALX, we’re here for you.

Anyway I got laid out with a fever and it sucks. Not only because I’m sick, but because I had to take a day off.

Yeah, I’m officially one of you adults now. Smh

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 22 2018, 03:54 PM
Post #13355

Councilor
Group Icon

Happy Thanksgiving!

Uleni, I hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 22 2018, 04:03 PM
Post #13356

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Nov 22 2018, 08:43 AM) *

Anyway I got laid out with a fever and it sucks. Not only because I’m sick, but because I had to take a day off.

Get better bruh

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 22 2018, 04:07 PM
Post #13357

Master
Group Icon

Happy T-Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My brother isn't bailing on me this year (at least not when we talked over the phone the other night) so we'll eat our T-day meal together at the local all-you-can-eat "country" buffet restaurant. Quality there is iffy imo, but it's the one day of the year I'm guarantied to eat a more or less old-style traditional meal.... turkey and/or ham, mash potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce and so on. I miss our second country buffet restaurant, which closed between two and three years ago. IMO it was easily the better of the two quality wise.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 22 2018, 04:26 PM
Post #13358

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Nov 22 2018, 09:07 AM) *

My brother isn't bailing on me this year (at least not when we talked over the phone the other night) so we'll eat our T-day meal together at the local all-you-can-eat "country" buffet restaurant. Quality there is iffy imo, but it's the one day of the year I'm guarantied to eat a more or less old-style traditional meal.... turkey and/or ham, mash potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce and so on. I miss our second country buffet restaurant, which closed between two and three years ago. IMO it was easily the better of the two quality wise.

Khajiit is glad you get to spend T-giving with your bro!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 22 2018, 05:57 PM
Post #13359

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 22 2018, 09:35 AM) *

Well this one hopes you have a good one regardless.

Hug_emoticon.gif Thanks!!!

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Nov 22 2018, 09:43 AM) *

Aw, I'm so sorry you are sick Uleni! I hope you get feeling better. verysad.gif

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Nov 22 2018, 10:07 AM) *

We have a franchise around here called "Cracker Barrel" that has some good old-country style food and puts out a really good spread at Thanksgiving and Christmas. It really isn't bad at all; I've used them before when I used to be on the road during the Holidays. I'm pretty picky about turkey, theirs wasn't bad. (my own is better, of course! laugh.gif ).

I like that you and your Brother still have this tradition of eating together for the big Holidays! I don't know why I keep thinking it is in a Chinese restaurant, though; rollinglaugh.gif

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your brother!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 22 2018, 08:04 PM
Post #13360

Master
Group Icon

Today's T-day restaurant meal was much much better than last year. Ham was juicy, tender and tasty. (I didn't try the turkey.) Mash Potatoes were quite good without being stellar. Stuffing and Cranberry Sauce were up to snuff. Green beans were green beans. Forgot to get rolls to go along with the meal until too late. Self-made salad was excellent. Wish I had access to their Thousand Isle dressing for use at home. Boy is it yummy!

The ham was so good I was tempted to go back for more. Only, I knew if I did so I'd want more of everything else too, so was able to resist. No dessert of course. Or liquid beyond water.

Neither my brother or I seemed in the mood for a lengthy visit. After we'd finished eating I dropped him off at his house and drove straight home.

No supper for me tonight, other than a Fuji apple along with my second migraine preventative dose.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Nov 22 2018, 08:12 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

706 Pages V « < 666 667 668 669 670 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:11 PM