2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oasis, my first story
Kiln
post Feb 14 2006, 02:28 PM
Post #21

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Hehe, I really like the character's little schemes and such, they add a bit of humor to this story. Update soon.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Taillus
post Feb 14 2006, 03:37 PM
Post #22

Knower
Group Icon

That will show Fargoth that slimy little bugger! Keep up the good work!

--------------------
“Worry not, young Breton. This will be over very quickly but I wish I could say that it would be painless. You will suffer greatly before you join the countless other souls that fuel my power.” - Taillus
+Quote Post
Tellie
post Feb 14 2006, 04:28 PM
Post #23

Mouth
Group Icon

HAHA,i'm rolling on the floor laughing. I was another good Fargoth thing, i just managed to get him thrown into jail for a little time.

All in all, congratulations with the award, it was most deserved, as you are another one of the nwe guy's/gal's, who will easily give us great competition, I suspect that you and Taillus will give even Override or Treydog a round for their money, and that say's quite a bit.

Keep up the good work. :goodjob :goodjob.

--------------------
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Feb 14 2006, 09:13 PM
Post #24

Master
Group Icon

Thank you all for the nice comments. And don't worry, you old vets still do a good job. smile.gif Besides, some competition keeps a person sharp, I guess.

Back to the story. I think I've finished the first chapter. At least the question that is the title of the chapter (check the first post) has been answered. Should I make a new thread or continue with this one?

With all the things I’d been doing lately, I'd made quite a name for myself. A bit too much of a name. Being famous isn‘t all that funny. This town was well on its way to becoming too small for me. It was time to move on. Too bad, I had some good times here. But people would eventually learn. And I hated the idea of waking up to find everyone outside my doorstep ready to pound my face in.

Tarhiel’s clothes were pretty clean now, so I hung them near the fire to dry. After eating some roasted mudcrab, I read some more in my book before putting out the fire and going to bed.

Next morning, I awoke early. For a moment, I played with the idea of wearing Tarhiel’s hat. Though it looked funny, I decided not to. I felt much safer with a helmet. An awful lot of people had been trying to hit my head lately. I did put on his robe. It looked nice and it was warm. After putting the armour over it and gearing on my weapons, I was ready to leave.

I stacked everything I didn’t need with me in a chest and made sure I had both the door and the window locked. I doubted anyone would break in. My treatment of Fargoth left an impression, even the guards were careful around me.

,,Good morning. Why walk when you can ride?” Maybe cause I’m afraid of heights? I took a peek at the passenger cabin while letting the big bug’s master wait. It looked secure enough, so I decided it was probably a better and safer bet than walking who knows how long through the wilderness.

,,Just take me someplace away from here.” I said.
,,Balmora it is, then. 27 septims and I would prefer if those were paid up front.” After handing over the coins, he extended a small wooden bridge and allowed me to cross over to the Siltstrider.

I should’ve known. I hate boats and I hate Siltstriders. The bug went from side to side as its mighty legs carried it across the landscape. It was more than I could handle. The bugmaster saw it and handed me a bucket. ,,Don’t worry. Many outlanders have this problem on their first ride.”

We arrived in Balmora a few hours later. I got off as soon as the beast had stopped moving. It felt good to have solid ground under my feet. I heard a small splash as the bugmaster emptied the bucket. I definitely would avoid taking another ride if it wasn’t necessary.

Balmora was huge! I could barely see the other end of it. It was also a big change from Seyda Neen. Stone buildings, bridges, real streets and a big river right in the middle of it.
I walked down the series of stairs that led to the Silt Strider station. First up, a drink.

I decided for the first pub I came across, which was a place known as the Council club. It sure was a big step up from the tradehouse. Hopefully they had some good stuff.

,,One Cyrodillic brandy, please.” I said to the bartender and sat down at one of the few free tables. A few minutes later, I still hadn’t received it. It was suspiciously quiet also.

A quick glance revealed that everyone was staring at me with open hostility. What was going on here? ,,Hello, I asked for a Cyrodillic brandy.” I tried again. At least I got a reaction this time.

,,We don’t serve your kind, Outlander scum.” Now what?
,,Hey, I just asked for something to drink, pal. This is a pub, so can I have something or what?” I was getting angry with this guy.

,,Leave my establishment, N’wah. I don’t want your smell to pollute this place.”
Now I was really mad and getting ready to pound his head in. Several weapons pointed at me made me reconsider.
,,Forget it, I don’t need anything that has been touched by a filthy Dark Elf like you. I’m outta here.”

Once outside, I took out my sword and carved “Mudcrab kissing Dark Elves, beware.” In the door. After throwing a fireball at the flag hanging outside, I left the area before a guard would notice.

I lost my appetite and instead walked into the nearest shop I came across. I was lucky, the shop’s owner was a Khajitt.

,,How may Ra’Virr help you?” Not to mention quite friendly. I leaned in closer. ,,Would my friend like to aquire a few samples of the sweet food from the night?” His eyes grew big.
,,Ra’Virr will buy your fine goods.” Great, someone to sell my moonsugar and Skooma to!

I left the building many septims richer, as well as leaving a happy Khajitt behind. I noticed that although large, the chance of getting a legal place to stay would be astronomical if I had more scenes like the one in the Council club. My best bet would be to take an unoccupied house.

I found my answer in a small and poorly maintained house. It looked like it had been unoccupied for months. Lockpicks weren’t needed so I just went in.

Too bad it turned out to be inhabited. ,,Who are you and what are you doing in my house?!” An old man jelled at me. He reminded me of Jiub. They both wore nothing but a set of pants. I still wonder where they got their resistance against cold from.

And he was a drug addict too. A barely concealed Skooma pipe was lying underneath the bed. Damn, I really didn’t want to sleep on a rock again.

Time for some major improvising. ,,Imperial Drug Patrol! You’re under arrest! Now get your lazy bottom over to the nearest fort and report yourself!” I shouted in my best guard imitation.

,,What does the empire want with an old sugar-tooth? Are you coming with me?” Damn, it looked like some brain cells had survived the smoke.

,,Of course not! I am here to arrest your supplier! I know he arrived here this morning by Siltstrider and sold his drugs to a trader in this city! You can go alone. Now leave!” I just hoped this would work.

But no, he still didn’t listen. ,,You don’t look Imperial. Where’s the uniform?”
,,I’m wearing a disguise, fool! How else do you think I can catch criminals like you? Now start packing!”

The man laughed. ,,Then what’s the name of the nearest Imperial fort?” Great, this was not good.
,,We call it Impierock.” I tried. It didn’t work for the man now really started laughing.
,,Impierock?! That’s ridiculous!”

I had enough. ,,Alright! So I’m not Imperial and there is no Drug Patrol. Now are you leaving or what?!”
I didn’t knew how long I’d been unconscious after that. Anyway, that taught me not to underestimate halfnaked men. Man, that guy could punch.

When I woke up, I saw him leaning against the door, reading a letter. ,,Ah, so you’re awake. Now I do appreciate it that you delivered the package, but please don’t try that again next time. I like this place.” Package, did he mean the damn thing the Imperial captain from Seyda Neen wanted me to deliver? So I had found Cain Cossack.

,,Whatever, Cossack. I’ve done my job so can I get out of here?” I grumbled. I really wasn’t in a good mood.
,,First, the name is Caius Cosades. Secondly, no. The emperor has personally instructed me to introduce you to the blades.”

,,Sorry, but I already know how to handle a sword, thank you very much.” He shook his head.
,,No, not a sword. The blades. His majesty’s spy-service. You’re part of it now.”

What? I thought I hadn’t heard him well. Me, a royal spy? I just came out of prison!
,,What have you been smoking?! Why would I do that?”
The answer was ridiculous, typical of the empire. ,, Skooma. And you are a civilian of the Empire. As such, it is your duty to serve the emperor.”

,,Why would I care about your emperor, your stupid empire or even you?!” If this was a joke, it wasn’t funny.
,,I’d appreciate it if you just accepted it.” He calmly responded.

,,Well, I just happen to have a problem with that and I bet you don’t know about it! Now if you get away from the door, I could get out of here!” People who stay that calm always got on my nerves.
,,Yes, I do know your problem. Your problem is that you are an unsocial, greedy, honourless, rude scumbag of a bandit with no sense of right and wrong. On top of that, you’ve been in jail from since you were eight awaiting a trial that never came. Now, fifteen years later, you are dropped here with no one to boss you around. I am surprised you even found your way here without getting eaten by something.”

He paused for a second. ,,You can’t just walk away from this. If you do, every single Imperial soldier will come after you. Every bounty hunter will come looking for the biggest bounty in history. And you will be branded a murderous fake god by the Tribunal which will get every citizen of Morrowind to join the hunt.” I had to admit, he came with some damn good arguments.

,,So I die if I refuse, and I live if I accept? Wow, now that’s original.”
,,It’s not that simple. If you screw up, you’ll die anyway. But you’ll at least stand a chance. And you can get quite wealthy by the end of this.” He pulled a bag out of his pocket. ,,Here, 200 septims. Go buy something better than that Chitin stuff of yours. I suggest Bonemold, though you will need a bit more to fund a whole set.”

,,I don’t have much of a choice, do I? Fine, I’m in. So what are your orders, sir?” I asked with a voice that dripped of sarcasm.
,,First, go buy some combat gear. Then work on your cover. Freelance Adventurer is a common profession. Join a guild. You are a Redguard, so I suggest you join the Imperial Legion, though you’ll probably prefer the Fighter’s guild. Come back when you’re stronger. I’ll have some orders waiting for you.”

He then finally let me out. I did buy a whole set of Bonemold as he suggested. It was heavier than Chitin, but it made Chitin look like paper.

But I still hadn’t lost that rebellious attitude. So he wanted me to join the Fighter’s guild? Good, then I would become the head of the mage’s guild instead.

,,Greetings, how may the mage’s guild be of service?” The Dark Elf steward asked me. I got straight to the point.
,,I want to join. I hereby swear I’ll not steal from, kill or otherwise harm a fellow member of the mage’s guild. I’ll perform my duties and work for the guild.”

,,You, a Redguard? It is rare to see a Redguard who wants to join. Most of them only propose it when drunk or as a joke. But you are different. I sense the magicka gathering around you.” She was in silent thought for a moment. ,,Very good, you are now a member of the guild. Feel free to use whatever you find in the equipment chest down the hall and to make use of one of the beds.” I thanked her, looted the chest and went to catch some sleep. A hairy paw woke me up.

,,Stranger, wake up. You must help Ajira.”
,,What, what time is it?” I mumbled only half awake.
,,Wake up, it is morning.”

I opened my eyes and focussed them on the Khajiit.
,,Who are you?”
,,Khajitt’s name’s Ajira. Ajira is apprentice of the guild’s head. Stranger must find mushrooms for Ajira.”

So she was the apprentice of the local head. Doing a favour for the Khajiit would probably earn me a favour from the guild’s head. I asked her a few questions about the mushrooms and was pleased to hear that they could be found in the Bitter Coast Region. I was familiar with that area as Seyda Neen was there.

I was back on the road one hour later. The sun was shining, I was free and on my way of becoming rich. Morrowind was far from paradise, but it definitely wasn’t Oblivion. And the emperor with his spies? He could burn in Oblivion, for now.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 14 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #25

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Great update, I really do like the way you breathe life into the characters of this story and it seems to have a slight touch of comedy with each bit. Anyways it's quite a good read so please update soon.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Elidor
post Feb 15 2006, 11:09 AM
Post #26

Retainer

Haha I love this spunky character, hes definately something new. And that line:
Good morning. Why walk when you can ride?” Maybe cause I’m afraid of heights?

laugh.gif

--------------------
user posted imageModder for Dragonlance TC
QUOTE(DoomedOne)
You all look exactly how I thought you would.
Except for Megil, I had know idea he was a black woman.
+Quote Post
Sinder Velvin
post Feb 15 2006, 06:52 PM
Post #27

Knower
Group Icon

It's called Oasis, yet neither of the Gallagher brothers are in it?

Heresy.
+Quote Post
Taillus
post Feb 15 2006, 08:31 PM
Post #28

Knower
Group Icon

Cain Cossack! That was a riot. Your character overflows with sarcasm and rebellion this story has really drawn me in. biggrin.gif

--------------------
“Worry not, young Breton. This will be over very quickly but I wish I could say that it would be painless. You will suffer greatly before you join the countless other souls that fuel my power.” - Taillus
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Feb 15 2006, 09:34 PM
Post #29

Master
Group Icon

Thank you, thank you. Ok, question answer time!

Oasis refers to the name of his profession (only taken cause he didn't knew anything better. It is also his nickname and the name friends use. (Though he hasn't called anyone friend for a long time.)

And who are the Gallagher brothers? smile.gif

Also, I've began work on chapter 2. Please check the new thread.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sinder Velvin
post Feb 16 2006, 10:36 AM
Post #30

Knower
Group Icon

This is the real Oasis.
+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 16 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #31

Wise Woman
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sinder Velvin @ Feb 16 2006, 10:36 AM)
This is the real Oasis.

Huh? biggrin.gif Oh aye......muhahaha...hmm can´t say I´m that fond of them...

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Feb 16 2006, 08:22 PM
Post #32

Master
Group Icon

I never listen to music and all, so I didn't knew. When I came up with the Oasis thing, I was thinking of the kind you find in a desert. You know, the pond with a bunch of palmtrees in the middle of nowhere. (Though I suspect they're a lot more common in films than in real life. But it is Tamriel, so who knows?)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tellie
post Feb 17 2006, 12:25 PM
Post #33

Mouth
Group Icon

Hi, you're getting better and better every post. I love the first chapter, and though it was a little short, you're allowed to make the chapters as long or as short as youselves want.

All in all, an extremly amusing chapter. Keep it up.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Mar 1 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #34

Knower
Group Icon

An excellent chapter. I've enjoyed your unique approach to solving the many problems that your character has encountered. There have not been many stories that have made me laugh as much as this one; keep up the great work. I look forward to the next chapter.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:10 AM