Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Athynae Sarethi: The Making of a Princess, Entries from Athynae's childhood journals
Athynae
post Feb 3 2012, 03:05 AM
Post #1

Knower
Group Icon

Hey guys, well seeing as Athynae and sometimes Athlain's antics as children have been referenced in Blood on the Moon and each time I have found myself writing the "memory", mostly in an effort to better understand her, I thought I would share some of those blasts from the past with you. The entries will not necessarily be in order, just snapshots from here and there at different ages and occasionally some entries from the PoV of other friends and family just to add some spice. The first entry will be the story of Athynae getting her first journal and why.

I hope you enjoy Athynae's childhood antics, I have sure had fun writing the handful that I have so far. Even better are some of the "memories" from others who know her. Just be cautious while reading with any beverages close as she has a tendency to speak her mind (like you didn't know that) and we all know what that can mean when a child is involved.

"Mama are housecats baby Khajiitt??" While standing next to a family of Khajiit in market square kind of thing.

*Note: It has been pointed out that Athynae seems a bit mature for her age in some of the entries and if I were gauging her by my two eldest children that would be true(quite normal but no less wonderful), however two ideas mingled together in regard to her intelligence and maturity; One- She is her own person and there is no comparing her to anyone on that level; Two- I sort of combined my two youngest children, my daughter who is and always has been an adult (just ask her) and my son who, at the age of two, slipped out the sliding glass door, off of the deck that was 5 feet off the ground (we have no idea how he did it), climbed the fence and went to the neighbor's to help him work on a car, oh, and he only had on a pull-up, my motorcycle goggles and his sister's paten leather dress shoes.

Please do what you do, comment, correct, suggest but most of all I hope you enjoy.

Athynae Serethi- The Making of a Princess…

I dedicate this endeavor to the three people who are responsible for Athynae's existence:

minque for creating her and graciously sharing her with treydog

treydog for making her a part of Athlain's world and subsequently introducing me to her through his story then allowing me to become her writer

and of course

Black Hand who has allowed me to make Seth such an important person in Athynae's life.

THANK YOU SO MUCH

This post has been edited by Athynae: Feb 3 2012, 03:09 AM

--------------------
"I'm a woman of very few words, but lots of action." - Mae West (Hush Foxy)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 3 2012, 03:20 AM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

WOO HOO !!! Welcome to the forum (again, again, and again !!!! Wait, and again !!! )

Loved this:

Mama are housecats baby Khajiitt??"

ROFL !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 3 2012, 03:23 AM
Post #3

Paladin
Group Icon

Athynae! Welcome to the Arena! I'm so excited to see you launching your own thread and look forward to reading it. smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
treydog
post Feb 3 2012, 03:49 AM
Post #4

Master
Group Icon

This is- in many ways- the most EXCITING part of being involved in this community. Seeing a new writer take their first bow. Obviously, in this case, there is even more to it but...

Welcome. Have fun. I know your readers will.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Feb 3 2012, 04:02 AM
Post #5

Knower
Group Icon

Thanks mALX and Acadian, man that was quick.

This is the first full entry in Athynae's journal, and every subsequent journal as well, she'll explain...

Inside the cover of the first journal…

To Her Highness the Princess of Trouble,
Congratulations on completing your fourth year. A very Happy Birthday to you. Fill these pages with memories so you can look back and remember you were once a child.

Uncle S

The ony reezen he sez he mayd me that is cuz I git into all most az much trouble az he duz an if thas troo then good I will be her highness princess of trouble forever.

Page 1
I got it I got it I got my bow from the ahemssa mama sed I culd have it when I gro up an I got it two day at my birthday cele sela pardy. I am going hunting az soon az I can git a way frum my nurs kowshy

I went hunting fond a beetle got a arow and put it on the string and pulled then uncle seth showed up and made me not shoot it and ast me if I was trying to kill myself I was not shoting the arrow backward he is so mean sometimes he brought me home and made me give him my bow until he culd lern me how to use it.

Page 2
I ges befour I put a lot of stuf in here the most portant thing is the story bout how I becam a princess cuz I never ever never wanna four get that story it wuz tha most portant day of my life.

I had read these words so many times over the years, and in some ways that day would always be the most important day of my life. I am caught now in a whirlwind that brings me back to these pages to remind myself who I am, where I came from and the lessons I have learned before I leave here. Everyone will be angry with me for a while I am sure, nothing new to me…but something is terribly wrong with Athlain and I have no choice. I have traveled with Mother and Father and I have stayed with the Ahemussa for a summer but I have never been on my own, alone. The first story in each of my journals is this one, and so once again upon fresh pages I retell the story. Each time the words change only slightly as my vocabulary has grown and I hope my spelling has improved, I do know that my handwriting is at least legible now.

I was two days from my fourth birthday, and I had decided that being four meant I was going to be a grown up. To prove my point prior to the big day, just to make sure everyone was in agreement with me I slipped the watchful eyes of my nurse, Kausha. That in itself was nothing new, I did it at least once a day but this day I planned a giant adventure. I can remember my knees shaking as I opened the door and stepped outside for the very first time without an adult. I was going to find Athlain and get him to go with me. I knew Aunt Baria and Uncle Trey were in Skar because the council was in session so I headed to the home they stayed in when they were here.

I slipped and slid and ducked and ran all the way there, three houses down. I weaseled my way around to the back door and peeped in to make sure no one was in the kitchen and made my way into the house. It wasn't fair really but Athlain didn't have a nurse, Aunt Baria took care of him. Mother told me it was because she had to be away so much with Redoran business, I understand that now, then I did not.

I tiptoed into his room and quietly closed the door. "Psst, Athlain, where are you?"

He came out of the room they called the nursery through the adjoining door. "Hey Fena, did your Mom bring you to play?"

"Nope, she did not. I am a grown up now or I will be in two days so I came by myself." I tried to puff myself up and look as big as I could. "Let's go outside."

"HUH UH! Mother would have a red face fit! I can only play in the nursery. She will be back to check on me soon, she checks on me all the time." It was always like this at first, but I knew I could bring him around so I continued

"Are you a scaredy rat? Huh? I walked ALL THE WAY over here all by myself and you won't even go outside with me? What kind of friend are you anyways?" As soon as he looked down at the floor I knew I had won. "Come on, we'll go out the balcony door in the nursery, it's easier." And so we did.

Out the door, onto the balcony and up, I know now that was where my plan fell apart, but it sure seemed like the best idea at the time because there wouldn't be anyone to catch us on the roof. And so there we were, watching all the people milling about and talking about them making up stories about them, where they lived, what they did for a living, etc. I don't know how the argument started, I think in the aftermath I forgot because it was irrelevant. But all of a sudden Athlain was on his feet with his fists tight, holding them in front of his chest with a face that looked like he had been forced to eat trama root.

"I am bigger than you, take that back or I will beat you up." He tried to look mean, he did, try that is, but it didn't work.

"Oh don't be silly Athlain, you are still just a baby and I am all grown up." And I mussed his hair. I think I need to add that there was a slight incline to the roof and Athlain was on the down side. Anyway, when I rubbed his head and smiled he drew his fist back and said

"TAKE THAT BACK!! I mean it, I am gonna rearrange your face!"

I bent down as I was saying "You are too mean Athlain Treyson" and when I stood up I had my wooden dagger that Uncle Seth had given me and I pointed it at him and yelled "BOO!" an eye blink later "A T H L A I N!!! NNNOOOOO!" As he went over the edge of the roof and down. There was a cloth cover over the balcony which caught him or rather slowed him down but he just rolled right off of it and down he went again. It just so happened that there were a couple of chairs outside, they kind of looked like a cross between one of the beds the Ahemussa slept in and giant pieces of the cloth Mother cut up to make bandages. He landed in one of those, but he broke his arm.

I climbed down, all the way down, I didn't bother going through the house because I had to get to him fast. But by the time I got there Aunt Baria was already there. She looked at his arm then at me then at him but all he said was "I fell".

"Athynae how did you get here young lady?" She had her head bent and she was looking at me with her eyes wide which was never a good look.

"I uh, um, I" I don't know if thought I could dig a hole with my toe to crawl into but my toe was certainly giving it a shot, "well, Kausha went into her room and I wasn't tired and.."

"Stop right there, you needn't go any further." She picked Athlain up who was being VERY brave and only whimpering a lot and carried him in the house back up to his bed. And I followed, no need to add more to it by doing something totally stupid. "Sit down Athynae, I have to take care of this first and THEN I will take care of you." Before she was done I heard someone coming up the stairs and I just had a feeling it wasn't one of the retainers because his boots were too heavy.

"Baria, what happened?" Uncle Seth looked like someone had cast a fireball in his face. "Thyna would you like to tell me what happened?"

"No sera I would not." I didn't want to tell surely he knew that.

"Athlain fell from the balcony. I suppose they were out there playing. Apparently Athynae decided to come for a visit without a chaperone."

"Um Aunt Baria?" she looked at me "He didn't fall from the balcony, he fell from the roof." The look on both of their faces told me I should not tell everything I know. I still do not do well with that one, my mouth shoots before my brain has nocked an arrow.

"Baria, I will take her home. Is there anything I can do before I go?" I was in trouble, and I hated being in trouble with Uncle Seth, he wasn't swayed by the 'I'm really sorry' look, not one bit. SHOOT!

"No Seth thank you, I don't think it is anything that a simple potion and some medicinal salve won't fix. Athynae you are not quite old enough to be out by yourself dear. I do love you so and I would hate for you to get hurt."

"I don't get hurt Aunt Baria it's always Athlain." Before I got the last words out Uncle Seth had picked me up out of the chair and started out the door.

"Uncle Seth why is your face so red? You look like you shot a fireball and it came back and hit you."

"SSHH! Not now Thyna, not yet. You really need to be quiet for a few moments while I decide how I am going to incapacitate you for the next ten years."

"What is inca incap inpacicitate?"

"It means you cannot move." He was holding his lips very tight and the muscles in his jaw were working back and forth like the baker's hand when he made dough.

"But I don't want to be inpalcacitatered."

"Why did you leave the manor without Kausha? Why do you insist on making trouble when your Mother is occupied with Redoran affairs?"

"Because I had to show Mother that I will be all grown up on my birthday, that I do not need Kausha anymore. I didn't get hurt, I went all the way to Athlain's and I didn't get hurt."

"What happened to Athlain?" He said raising one of his eyebrows, which made him look really scary.

"I didn't push him!"

"Then what did happen?"

"He fell, like he said, I promise." I knew I wasn't lying.

By this time we had reached the manor. Instead of taking me inside we walked around back to the garden. "Sit, right here." He said as he put me down pointing to a chair. "Now I want you to tell me exactly what happened."

"He fell, well, sort of, But I did not push him. I did not."

"Sort of, explain sort of." Seth had known me all my life and he was well aware of how literal and explicit questions needed to be phrased. I would not lie but ….

"We were just playing" and I sank in my chair, pouting, I really was sorry he had gotten hurt. I hated it when he got hurt. "and he said something and I said something and he didn't like what I said and he got up and put up his fistes and said he was bigger than me and that he could beat me up. And I told him he was being mean and he told me he would rearrange my face and I showed him my dagger and yelled boo and he jumped. That's the whole story, 'cept he fell all the way down."

Uncle Seth shook his head and looked like he was counting in his head then he said "Hence forth you shall be known as Her Highness the Princess of Trouble." with a knightly air, but the expression on his face was different.

"Uncle Seth are you fluberstrated with me? I am sorry, I didn't mean for my best friend to get hurt. I just didn't think about taking him up on the roof when he is still a baby and all."

He looked toward the sky like someone was going to snatch him out of there, like he wanted them to. He took a deep breath and looked at me. "Ok, your highness, I am getting you a book for your birthday."

"A book? Really? What's the name of it?" I did like to read, I was a very good reader or so Mother said.

"That, my child, is up to you. You are going to write this book."

My heart fell, that just didn't sound like much fun. "But Uncle Seth, it's supposed to be a good present."

He smiled, "It will be. It will also, I hope, help to keep you out of trouble. You get into almost as much trouble as I do."

"Really? I do?" It was looking a bit better now.

"I want you to use the gift to write down everything you do every day. I want to know what you did at academy, I want to know what games you played, AND missy, I want to know everything else." And he looked at me like he knew I did things that could not be proven.

I shook my head, "HUH UH! I can't do that. What if someone found it? That is not a good idea Uncle Seth. You surprise me, you are smarter than that."

"This is your story, and only you will know what you write on the pages. Keep it hidden if you must but write it all down for two reasons. One so that one day you will have help remembering and two it will help to keep you from being bored."

"Ok Uncle Seth I will do it but I do not like it. I think it is not smart to right those things down. Better to just answer the questions you are asked."

"I write everything down. I want to remember and one day maybe someone else will want to know about me after I have left Nirn, so the books will be here."

"OOHH well that's different then, you didn't say that before." And I ran into the house yelling "Her Highness Princess of Trouble coming through, make way for the princess…." And I could hear Uncle Seth laughing.

This post has been edited by Athynae: Feb 3 2012, 11:59 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 3 2012, 04:38 AM
Post #6

Ancient
Group Icon

"Hey Fena, did your Mom bring you to play?"

GAAAAAH !!!! It's little Treydog !!! (Athlain)

"Are you a scaredy rat? Huh?

ROFL !!!

SPOILER !!

What happened to Athlain?" He said raising one of his eyebrows, which made him look really scary.

GAAAAAH !!! And now I can picture Seth doing this since I've been reading his story too !!! This is Awesome !!

Uncle Seth is going to have something to read in his isolation me thinks, lol.

Awesome Write !!! I love it !!!

This post has been edited by mALX: Feb 3 2012, 04:46 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Feb 3 2012, 05:49 AM
Post #7

Councilor
Group Icon

Absolutely fantastic!!!...

Loved it...Surprisingly enough...It made me laugh a bit... laugh.gif biggrin.gif ...

Very excellently done...And I'm so looking forward to more...So much...

Oh, this is just proper funny right here...

"What is inca incap inpacicitate?"

"It means you cannot move." He was holding his lips very tight and the muscles in his jaw were working back and forth like the baker's hand when he made dough.

laugh.gif ...Nothing funnier sweeter than a kid trying on a big word...

Oh yeah, I also liked the way big bad chief Morag Tong Seth simply picked her up and put her on his hip...I really like that...Good man that one...

NICE ONE!!...About bloody time... tongue.gif ...

*Applauds heartily*... biggrin.gif ...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Feb 3 2012, 05:50 AM
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Feb 3 2012, 06:51 AM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

Well done! I am glad that you've finally taken the plunge and we can see the evolution of a Princess, of trouble no less.

S:"Oh dear,...here we go...*chuckles*"
+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 3 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #9

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Yay!!! "My"girl comes to live..in her OWN thread! That is sheer joy.....wonderful to read about her antics and knack for getting herself into situations. biggrin.gif This is gonna be a "must read as soon as possible"

*claps hands*

"So Seth, what now?, You kinda care for her, right?"

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 3 2012, 11:06 AM
Post #10

Councilor
Group Icon

"What happened to Athlain?" He said raising one of his eyebrows, which made him look really scary.

"I didn't push him!"

rollinglaugh.gif I love it! Wonderful, Athynae! biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Feb 3 2012, 01:47 PM
Post #11

Master
Group Icon

"Are you a scaredy rat?”

Considering the things that tend to happen when ‘Thyna is around- yes. Of course, even worse things happen to him when she isn’t- so….

"Athynae how did you get here young lady?" She had her head bent and she was looking at me with her eyes wide which was never a good look.

"I uh, um, I" I don't know if thought I could dig a hole with my toe to crawl into but my toe was certainly giving it a shot, "well, Kausha went into her room and I wasn't tired and.."

Ah yes- the literal- and EVASIVE- answer.

Uncle Seth looked like someone had cast a fireball in his face. "Thyna would you like to tell me what happened?"

"No sera I would not."

That one just cracked me up.

"I don't get hurt Aunt Baria it's always Athlain."

Yes- funny how that happens....

Quoted before- but I will highlight it again, because of the joy of it.

"Sort of, explain sort of." Seth had known me all my life and he was well aware of how literal and explicit questions needed to be phrased. I would not lie but ….

He looked toward the sky like someone was going to snatch him out of there, like he wanted them to.

So much is said in these few words...

I shook my head, "HUH UH! I can't do that. What if someone found it? That is not a good idea Uncle Seth. You surprise me, you are smarter than that."

WRITE IT DOWN? ALL of it?! When it CAN and WILL be used against me?

"Ok Uncle Seth I will do it but I do not like it. I think it is not smart to right those things down. Better to just answer the questions you are asked."

She will make a fearsome council member one day.

This is a gem of a look into her early life- and goes far toward explain why Athlain walks funny and seems to have all those nervous tics...

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Feb 3 2012, 02:08 PM
Post #12

Knower
Group Icon

NOTE: Yes, I know the giant spaces are distracting, my apologies, not quite sure what happened. When I tried to fix them after previewing the text it totally screwed up the manuscript and took me forever to fix it. I will try to figure it out before I post the next piece.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU To EVERYONE!!! I will express my gratitude more personally later but since I was here I thought I'd throw that in.... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Feb 3 2012, 09:22 PM
Post #13

Master
Group Icon

An excellent start here already, one that I'm finding an entertaining read just from chapter 1. You've already given Athynae a very distinctive voice and personality, and I'm looking forwards to seeing how she'll end up in the story to come. Brilliant stuff!

As for the formatting, just post it with a single break between lines or automatic double spacing on Word (if you have it). The posting form automatically adds a line between everything when you post in on the normal reply one (don't bother with fast reply, that just gets rid of all your formatting).
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Feb 4 2012, 12:01 AM
Post #14

Knower
Group Icon

McB Thank you so much!!

The space thing is fixed on the first story...thanks to McB. I don't know what happened but I will figure it out before the next one goes up, I hope, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 4 2012, 02:02 AM
Post #15

Paladin
Group Icon

What a delightful look at Little ‘Thynae – I mean Her Highness the Princess of Trouble.

'I tried to puff myself up and look as big as I could.'
This is so easy to visualize!

'The look on both of their faces told me I should not tell everything I know. I still do not do well with that one, my mouth shoots before my brain has nocked an arrow.'
Wise advice if only she could heed it. tongue.gif

Oh, this is great fun!!!

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Feb 6 2012, 03:15 AM
Post #16

Knower
Group Icon

@mALX- Thank for your support,

"It's little Treydog!!! Athlain"

ROFL!!!

@McB- The line you picked was a memory of my niece, she was about 3 and kept trying to say irritated and it came out iterated…as far as the comment about it being bloody time tongue.gif

Oh yea THANK YOU!!!!!!

@BH-Thank you, I do hope you enjoy it. You too Seth…

@Minque-Thanks so much for your support from the beginning. I am so glad you are here…

@Grits-Yep, that's one of those lines right out of one of my children's bedrooms…along with the look I use (which is not anymore effective for me than it was for Seth.

@ Trey-I'm sure she could change that if you want her to, just saying. Yes, the entire piece shows that she learned early to just answer the questions she was asked with no additional information necessary. I could respond to each comment but the gratitude would not be any greater than it is for all that you do, I don't think that is possible. Thank you repeated multiplied by 20 squared…

@Colonel Mustard- This is just a jumble of pieces snapshots of her childhood so everyone can see her hopefully as I do…Thanks for reading I do hope you continue to enjoy.

@Acadian-Yes, she absolutely is the Princess of Trouble, STILL. I am so glad you are having fun, I do hope that continues with future 'entries'.

BIG SHOUT OF THANKS TO THE BADGER FOR FIXING MY SPACE ISSUE!!!! I don't know what happened but I hope it doesn't happen again.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Feb 6 2012, 03:27 AM
Post #17

Knower
Group Icon

Thank you to Black Hand for the first part of this piece, a memory from Seth.

There was a defiant stare in the little Dunmer girl's eyes as she looked up at the taciturn man, his profile shaded by the early afternoon sun behind him.

A gust of wind sent a whirl of ash into the air, sending a long wisp of her hair away from the side of her face.

"Well now, bruising, crying, sitting all the way back here behind the Skar shell..what have YOU been up to little one?" The man knelt down and put down his satchel grabbing some cloth and a vial from its contents.

"U-unca Seth?" Athynae said as her expression changed to one of joy. "H-how'd you find me?"

"Well, I was coming back from up north, stopping by to visit your parents, then I thought I heard a child crying back here, seems like the kind of thing that warranted at least a look." He said applying the salve to the cloth and patting the side of her face.

"All the way back HERE?!" she exclaimed.

"Well, your hearing will get better with age. Your only -five-? summers now?"

"Six!" she said defiantly.

"Ah yes, six, has it been so long? Well, what happened to cause this mess?" he asked her, the salve already working its medicine and the bruising slowly disappeared.

"I-I fell." she lied.

"Mmmm. Fell onto some fists more like...the boys wouldn't let you play with them again, and you took it to the next level?"

"They're MEAN! They deserved it!" She snapped back. "You-You're not gonna tell Momma are you?" she suddenly wilted at the thought of a stern Cyrodiilic mother.

He smiled slightly. "Well, the bruising's all gone now, so I don't think she'd believe me would she?" He said putting the stuff away and sitting down next to her.

"I WILL however, give you a lecture." He said, as she rolled her eyes and rested her chin on her palms.

"Now, now, attitude. Respect for your Kinsmen, remember? You're a little Redoran lady, act like one!" He said with a slight mock to his tone.

"Now then, I only wanted to make a point. Which is stronger? Attack, or Defense?"

"ATTACK!" she cried out. "Like the way I made those boys cry when I kicked them!"

Sethyas smirked at the little girl's outburst. "No. Because when you go around attacking everything, you develop a reputation. And as strong as you are, you can't take on the world and they will come after you...no, if you defend yourself from those who attack you, you will be the stronger opponent, for every move sacrifices some guarding."

"Athlains Dad attacked Dagoth Ur! YOU carry those knives around all the time! You guys always attack and look at you! You're both great warriors!!" she pleaded.

"Athlains Dad spends 90% of the time behind a shield and attacks only when he sees the opportunity, I--uh, stay quiet, and...never mind, I only attack when its needed, that's all you need know about my technique...besides I'm not as great a warrior as you would think..." Sethyas said getting off point to the observant child's counterpoint.

"What I am trying to say is, you should never be the one to initiate a fight. NEVER attack, unless you or someone's life is on the line, fighting should always be your last option, even surrendering should be considered before fighting, when the enemy has to spend all his time watching you, it weakens him, while you have the opportunity to observe and find your way out."

"That sounds like cowards talk!" she grumbled.

"Oh? Then why did Tiber Septim rout an army twice his size AFTER surrendering to them? Why did the Akaviri fail to conquer Tamriel TWICE, and Tamriel failed to conquer Akavir in return?" Seth said to her.

She looked up at him with furrowed brows.

"True battle, true fighting is done beforehand, with your mind, not on the spot with your fists. It is said that the best fighters and generals have already won a fight before it is fought."

Athynae now just looked confused.

"Stand up." he commanded as he rose to his feet.

She complied as he pulled out an exquisite amulet from the satchel, and she looked over it greedily.

"This bauble is yours if you can land one fist on my torso or face." he said as her eyes lit up at the thought of being rewarded for hitting someone.

Being much shorter than her Uncle, Sethyas knelt down resting on one knee as she began her barrage.

After several minutes of him effortlessly slapping away her fists, and even taking some frustrated kicks to the thigh, she was panting and screamed at him.

"Give up?" He asked, bemused.

She just stared at him.

"Do you see? You've spent all your energy on needless aggression and I'm still--OOF!"

Her fist was a half-inch inside his gut as he instinctively grabbed her wrist simultaneously.

She gave him a mischievous little smile as she said quietly: "I didn't say I gave up." and took the necklace.

He stood up and smiled. "I think you learned this lesson a little TOO well."

Uncle Seth didn't know the truth of it all, someday he would but not today…See, thing was, the boys had asked for it. I had stepped in over my head; not anything I would admit to anyone else, but every bruise, scratch and bleeding injury they had they deserved and if I had to suffer some for it then I just did. They had been the blight that took over after the real Blight was gone. When they moved here, being a kid Ald'ruhn had become a daily battle. Big dummies that picked on all the younger kids because well, we were all younger, including me. They had come from the mainland when I was about 3, I think, and they NEEDED to go back.

Yesterday I was on my way home from daily lessons, playing my usual sneak game when I heard Mae crying. I stepped around the corner to see those guar butts holding Cai with their hand over her mouth and pulling Mae's hair. I yelled at them and ran toward them; they let Cai go and took off. Mae grabbed her and hugged her as I got to them. I asked what happened and they told me through whimpers and that wind-sucking thing you do when you cry too hard for too long. Aunt Baria must have heard them because she came from the market about that time. I told her what had happened and she said she was going to talk to their mothers. And I thought to myself:

"Fine, you do that, but these stupid nothin's need a dose of their own potion."

I needed a plan to make sure they got some of what was coming.

There were four in their little band of ugly goblins, and two of them usually had their younger brother scribs in tow. I needed to think…

I sat in my room for what seemed like hours trying to come up with the perfect plan, something sneaky and painful- and I came up with a couple good ones. The only problem was they needed to KNOW it was me. I didn't sleep very good. It just made me mad as a five-legged mud crab that they had been so mean to Mae and Cai. Athlain couldn't do anything; he was sick, I think it was something Mae and Cai put in his juice, but all I knew for sure was it was not me, at least not this time.

The next day, there were no lessons, so out I went in search of the evil doers. I considered bringing my bow for some target practice, but it's probably a good thing I thought better of it. A good punch in the nose would do just fine. It took a little while to find them, but find them I did, standing just inside the gate in front of the Fighter's Guild. I stayed out of sight; this was not a good place, too many grownups to stop me before I got some talking done.

They were such idiots, trying to slip out the gate like they weren't up to something. Anyone watching knew exactly what they were doing. I don't know who they thought they were fooling with that act. It was hard not to laugh out loud. But out they went and I was far enough behind that I could stay hidden, but close enough that I wouldn't lose them. Out the west gate and south, and I knew where they were going. There was a great mound of boulders just south that was split in three or four segments and almost in the middle on the east side there was a cut out perfect for hiding.

I waited patiently, well, as long as I could. I wanted to make sure they were comfortable and ready for company before I welcomed myself, you know, catch them unaware. I had worked my way close enough to hear their mumbling, but I was only catching actual words here and there. I heard a flint strike, which was probably not a good thing. I was not permitted to mess with fire at all; I couldn't even add logs to the fire and, after getting scorched on Cook's pot, I didn't want to. That was the worst hurt I had ever had. Then I smelled hackle lo and shook my head. Uncle Seth and Father partook of the stuff occasionally and I did not like the smell particularly, but in Father's study and in Uncle Seth's rooms the combination of hackle lo, brandy and leather was just right.

I stepped into the opening and the sun was at my back so I cast a long shadow. "You have got to be the stupidest boys in all of Nirn. Don't you know that stuff just makes you stink so anyone can follow you?"

"Hey look fellas it's the Arc of Madnesses brat come to join the party." The biggest of the boys sat with the hackle lo pipe in his hand trying to look like a grownup.

"Madness huh? I don't think she would like that very much, honestly though when she is unhappy well she can seem a bit on the mad side." Let them think about that one. But they were so stupid they didn't catch it.

"Whatcha gonna do dog meat, tell your mommy what we're doing?" The biggest one must be the leader, it figured, since he was the dumbest of them all.

"No." I paused for a short breath. "I was thinking I would tell yours." And I tried to imitate the look mother got when she was trying to scold me, but didn't want anyone to overhear. You know the look I'm sure, the one that says "If you don't straighten up this minute your backside is going to look like a striped guar hide when we get home."

"You better not, you little sneaky witch." One of the other boys decided to show me he could speak human language, I was impressed.

"And who do you think is going to stop me, crab meat?" He was the one that had been holding his hand over Cai's mouth. "I'll kick your butt so hard it'll look like you are talking through a crack."

"You need someone to teach you a lesson, little girl! You don't know who you are messing with. We'll hurt you so bad even your Mama won't know you." The beast was blathering again. I just shook my head. Uncle Seth always said,

If you are going to fight- fight. Don't talk, don't try to look 'heroic'- just hit someone as hard and fast as you can.

Still, there were six of them and only one of me, and a little conversation might make the odds better. It was worth a try anyway.

"So, are we gonna do this one on one or are you all gonna try at once?"

I had no idea what it was going to be like if they all jumped in at once, but I was mad enough at what they had been doing and they had just added to it by calling Mother names. I didn't care what they said about me; they couldn't hurt me with words, well, unless they were the words of a spell and these boys couldn't spell the word "spell" itself, so I wasn't worried about that.

"We won't waste any time; we'll just all get it over with so you can go home crying to your Outlander Mama, Hlaalu scum."

That did it. The one thing they could have called me and gotten a reaction, yep, that was it. I set my feet like Uncle Seth showed me as the biggest bully charged. The other five just stood there watching. He dove at me, and I didn't even move my feet, I just leaned to one side and he went face first into the dirt.

"Idiot," was my only comment on his poor technique. He did not appreciate my remark and pushed himself up, yelling at his little group of thugs-in-training:

"Come on! Do ya need an invite? Get her!" And the rest of the big boys charged. I caught something, a head or fist or something, in my belly that made me let go of all my air. I felt my elbow make contact with something and a squeal followed. A fist to the eye told me I was going to have a mark of my own. I kicked the boy in front of me right where his legs came together and he went down like a shot cliff racer and I escaped their hands through the hole he left and went for one of the little brothers. I picked the little scrib up by his collar and whispered in his ear:

"You better tell them to stop or you are gonna get more than a good beating, I'm gonna feed you to the mud crabs." When I saw his face and how scared he was I felt bad; this kid had no choice but be to there because his big brother was a blight. The big boys stopped though. I looked at them, and I don't know what I looked like. I know what I felt like and if their appearance was any gauge, I figure we were about even. The biggest one had a scrape down his nose from sliding in the dirt; one of the others had a bloody nose, the one that never said anything was holding himself like he had to pee real bad, and the last one was crying with his hand to his head.

"Let him go, you sneaky little rat. You'll pay for this; you may not make it back home alive." King of the idiots spoke.

"If you do anything to me," and I leaned my head toward the brat I was holding, "he'll get twice what you give me, I promise." And then next thing I knew the little piece of dung slid out of his shirt and was gone, squealing like a baby kagouti. That was not good. They were between me and. Oops. The troop started coming at me and I saw a rock about the size of my fist. I picked it up and palmed it. I don't quite know what went where or who did what after that; it was a blur of arms, heads, legs and grunts, but I did not let go of that rock. I left them all in their little hidey hole, the biggest one rolling on the ground holding his head. "You even talk to Mae or Cai again and you will ALL be sorry. They are just little girls." I limped my way back to Sarethi Manor and that's when Uncle Seth found me. If he thought I was trying to play with those useless sacks of moldy wickwheat, so be it; I wasn't going to tell him otherwise.

This post has been edited by Athynae: Feb 6 2012, 04:04 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Feb 6 2012, 03:54 AM
Post #18

Master
Group Icon

LMAO! You certainly have a way with the expressions Athynae! This had me chuckling all the way through!

S:"How fortunate those boys were that you didn't tell me. But I think you already knew what I would have done. Now; I would never strike a child...but I might convince them that the boogeyman was real..."
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 6 2012, 05:06 AM
Post #19

Ancient
Group Icon

I am loving these little insights into Uncle Seth and the close relationship they shared! From BOTM, I knew Athynae would have the same fiery redheaded temper, lol. Awesome Write !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Fawkes
post Feb 6 2012, 05:20 AM
Post #20

Finder
Group Icon

Ohhh I'm loving this, it had me chuckling since the start. biggrin.gif I'm loving the dialog between the two :3

--------------------
Jericho the "hero"

"The silent voice within one's heart whispers the most profound wisdom"-Nyx
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:22 AM