> Arena Adventurings and Daggerfall Dealings, A Characters Update thread
Renee
post Dec 23 2013, 04:13 PM
Post #41

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Dec 23 2013, 09:36 AM) *

I love your enthusiasm, Renee! rollinglaugh.gif

It's 'cause you just cheered me up, talking crow. I was kind of bummed about Arena's difficult learning curve because (so far) I'm barely able to connect with my character, other than as a super-paranoid lady running around in the dark getting pwned every seventeen yards or so.

Ahh, so Agility affects 'to hit' rolls. viking.gif Very good.

Since I donīt have a controller I just swing with the mouse from right to left and as my own Nord has high agility he hits almost all the time now. Pretty fun system actually smile.gif

I agree. I like that there are choices with weapon-swings, although I have heard that we can't manally block with a shield, right? The game automatically does this if we have one equipped? That must wear out your mice, all those side-to-side/back 'n' forth motions, eh?

A

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 23 2013, 04:45 PM
Post #42

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Dec 23 2013, 04:13 PM) *

I like that there are choices with weapon-swings, although I have heard that we can't manally block with a shield, right? The game automatically does this if we have one equipped?

It doesnīt really block like in Morrowind either but it counts towards your armor rating.

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Dec 23 2013, 04:13 PM) *

That must wear out your mice, all those side-to-side/back 'n' forth motions, eh?

I have a pad so itīs all good smile.gif It wears more on my wrist Iīd imagine laugh.gif

About connecting and roleplaying, Arena is a hard game when it comes to that. You have freedom and you have leveling and so on, but aside from that and the MQ there isnīt that much to do besides getting rich. If you gimp your character in Arena youīre in for a world of trouble, unless the attributes getting gimped are Personality, Speed or Luck. Although Luck has an impact on everything you do, including To Hit and such.

Speed is basically only useful for archers because that affects how fast you can shoot arrows and Personality lets you haggle harder.

This post has been edited by mirocu: Dec 23 2013, 04:49 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 23 2013, 05:04 PM
Post #43

Councilor
Group Icon

It's all good, mirocu. I don't intend to RP Arena as hardcore as I RP later games, but I think I'm going to enjoy it immensely. I'm a lover of attributes and stats and how they affect gameplay. All of that is derived from pen 'n' paper games, so it's imm .. imm ... IMMERSIVE to see how this stuff works out in real-time.

I can only imagine what it must have been like to go from tabletop gaming back in the early '90s to a real-time world such as Arena or Baldur's Gate.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 23 2013, 08:56 PM
Post #44

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I bet it blew their nerdy heads off! tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 24 2013, 03:14 AM
Post #45

Councilor
Group Icon

Okay NOW we're rolling. Yep, RG1 can jump into a 'niche'. As long as there's no enemies nearby, she can heal up fully then. Now I'm having a better time with Arena.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 24 2013, 09:20 AM
Post #46

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Great smile.gif You found much loot yet?

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 24 2013, 03:10 PM
Post #47

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Dec 24 2013, 03:20 AM) *

Great smile.gif You found much loot yet?

Not sure, but it's piling up. One thing I discovered is there are false walls in the Tutorial (Yes she's still down there). And also I've found it's possible to jump in the shallow water to cross hallways and stuff. I have no idea how to get out of this first maze but I'll figure it out.

Compared to Oblivion, this first Tutorial really is a maze. Compared to Skyrim (which features mostly in-and-out style lairs) I'm really having to use my wits just to remember which direction I'm going. It's possible to toggle the compass on and off in Arena, so I've actually been using the compass every so often! ohmy.gif Imagine that!

I'm already kind of addicted to this game, mirocu. Why is this? There's something about it that grabs me. I actually chose Arena over Skyrim last night!

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Dec 24 2013, 03:11 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 24 2013, 04:39 PM
Post #48

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Dec 24 2013, 03:10 PM) *

I'm already kind of addicted to this game, mirocu. Why is this? There's something about it that grabs me. I actually chose Arena over Skyrim last night!

I think itīs because of the sense of a true adventure where you actually are in danger and have to figure out how things work. I was also very addicted and I absolutely loved it when I started to play. Like you say, you have to use your wits alot. I had a real sense of the need to survive and I loved it! smile.gif

One aspect I find most interesting regarding any game is learning how it all works, and then apply that knowledge to overcome trials. It was the same with Morrowind but when all is said and done, I always go back to Oblivion wink.gif

Also, I actually didnīt know you could toggle the compass! Or are you just applying your Oblivion mod? wink.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Dec 24 2013, 05:29 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 25 2013, 01:46 AM
Post #49

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Dec 24 2013, 10:39 AM) *

I think itīs because of the sense of a true adventure where you actually are in danger and have to figure out how things work. I was also very addicted and I absolutely loved it when I started to play. Like you say, you have to use your wits alot. I had a real sense of the need to survive and I loved it! smile.gif

It's also imagination. There isn't as much detail, the graphics are horrible, so to some extent imagination kicks-in to a higher gear or something, know what I mean? There's also a lack of story in this game-it's kinda vague. RG1 has been thrown into a prison because she's associated with Jagar Tharn or something. And that's it. That's all the game has given us. So to some extent, imagination becomes key.

LIke, when we used to play Adventure years ago on the Atari 2600 in high school, the 8-bit graphics were so primitive that to some extent I'd make up little stories in my head to fill in the blanks. The same thing seems to be happening now.

One aspect I find most interesting regarding any game is learning how it all works, and then apply that knowledge to overcome trials. It was the same with Morrowind but when all is said and done, I always go back to Oblivion wink.gif

Me too. I'll be going back to Oblivion even more once I get some mods, of course. But Kahreem's game will always be vanilla. smile.gif

Also, I actually didnīt know you could toggle the compass! Or are you just applying your Oblivion mod? wink.gif

No sir!! F8 toggles the compass on and off, and I managed to make one of the buttons on my controller simulate F8, too. smile.gif I had to go through each and very key on the keyboard one by one, and then 'assign' the buttons found on the keyboard (and mouse, too) to various buttons, the d-pad, and one of the joysticks on my controller.

I'm supposed to be doing Xmas stuff with the family (cough) but here I am kinda sneaking off to possibly play some Arena!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 25 2013, 12:50 PM
Post #50

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Dec 25 2013, 01:46 AM) *

There isn't as much detail, the graphics are horrible, so to some extent imagination kicks-in to a higher gear or something, know what I mean? There's also a lack of story in this game-it's kinda vague. RG1 has been thrown into a prison because she's associated with Jagar Tharn or something. And that's it. That's all the game has given us. So to some extent, imagination becomes key.

LIke, when we used to play Adventure years ago on the Atari 2600 in high school, the 8-bit graphics were so primitive that to some extent I'd make up little stories in my head to fill in the blanks. The same thing seems to be happening now.

I believe youīre right about that. Imagination automatically kicks in and provides me with information the game doesnīt give me and I think this is much better than being spoon-fed all the details. It gives a sense of achievement, like you figured something out for yourself and not much beat that feeling smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 27 2013, 02:00 AM
Post #51

Councilor
Group Icon

So Renee Gade did manage to get into Dunstad Grove finally. Quite confusing! But I've often felt confused by other villages in later ES games, so I think I'll eventually figure out Dunstad too.

She's got 618 gold and she found a room to stay at an inn. After sleeping awhile, somebody 'pilfered' her belongings (the game said this) but I'm not noticing anything missing. *shrugs* She had a crystal (I think) and now that's gone. No biggie. She still has all the equipment she left the Tutorial with: longsword, silver helm, a pauldron, and a few other items.

About to go about town, see what 618 gold can buy. :drool: Edit: she managed to buy all the armor pieces: pauldrons on both shoulders, chain cuirass, gauntlets, and greaves, leather boots and she kept her silver helmet. OH, and that crystal was not stolen from her, matter of fact she was able to sell it for 624 gp!

I have noticed that the town gets overrun by baddies at night, so RG is going to do a bit of night-patrolling viking.gif Arrgh! She is suppsed to find some sort of tome from the Gentle Hand Temple (something like that). Well, she managed to find the temple but there's no tome in there.

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Dec 27 2013, 03:03 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 27 2013, 10:10 AM
Post #52

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Patrolling town is a good thing to do to get experience and stuff to sell, I used to do that too smile.gif

About the tome, did you talk to the guy inside the temple? Cause you wonīt find the tome just laying about tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 27 2013, 08:58 PM
Post #53

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Dec 27 2013, 04:10 AM) *

About the tome, did you talk to the guy inside the temple? Cause you wonīt find the tome just laying about tongue.gif

Of course. He only offered "Heal" "Bless" "Cure" and "Exit". Nothing about a tome. I even tried choosing some of those options anyways, like I had Renee get blessed and healed, and nothing came up about a tome.

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Dec 27 2013, 08:59 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 27 2013, 10:19 PM
Post #54

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Thatīs strange huh.gif Sure you went to the right place? Iīm sure you did but I have to ask. Iīve never had one single quest I couldnīt follow up on.
Check your journal what it says, just to be sure.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 31 2013, 04:28 AM
Post #55

Councilor
Group Icon

Yup. She's in the Order of the Gentle Hand. I'm looking at the map right now. Quest must be broken!! I'm going to start a crusade against Bethesda starting NOW!

just kidding. Actually I'm pretty excited tonight. I just got my wireless controller working for the PC! ... RG1 is now just kind of moseying around Dunstad Grove. It's daylight; she's just figuring the place out. We'll do some night patrols when the sun goes down.

She wandered outside the village but I'm not ready for that yet! I'm not sure how far this open world bizness goes, but with a lack of draw distance & landmarks, it's looking possible to get very lost out there. A lot of areas look the same, in the sense that there's always snow falling and there aren't the usual mountains or other landmarks in the distance to go by. Well, there is one but I don't want to get too far out there and not figure out how to get back to Dunstad.

I've noticed that if I push the 'detail' slider to the right that it increases draw distance a bit, but this also slows the game's animations down. I've currently got this slider up to about half-way.

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Dec 31 2013, 04:33 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 31 2013, 09:23 AM
Post #56

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Not sure but this quest thingy might be because youīre using the Anthology version which I think isnīt patched up all the way like the downloaded version is. Send a PM to ghastley, he might know more smile.gif

I donīt run around outside towns either with no landmarks or anything to go by. I just tried it a couple of times and always made sure I knew where the town was. Nothing much out there I can tell you. Apart from small settlements I didnīt find any dungeons, enemies or anything.

---------

As for my Nord, he just reached level 25 and thatīs more or less his final level. It took me several days fighting creatures over and over to reach it and now the experience needed for 26 is even higher and I donīt think Iīll care for it. His spells are strong, he has over 300.000 gold and good equipment. If I should decide to embark upon the MQ (gasp!) he should be ready smile.gif

Not sure I am though...

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 1 2014, 03:54 PM
Post #57

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Dec 31 2013, 03:23 AM) *

I donīt run around outside towns either with no landmarks or anything to go by. I just tried it a couple of times and always made sure I knew where the town was. Nothing much out there I can tell you. Apart from small settlements I didnīt find any dungeons, enemies or anything.

Ahh, wow! See now I'm curious. I'll be the one who will try to find that hidden shrine or dungeon. It's just odd not having any roads to travel by, at least.

---------

As for my Nord, he just reached level 25 and thatīs more or less his final level. It took me several days fighting creatures over and over to reach it and now the experience needed for 26 is even higher and I donīt think Iīll care for it. His spells are strong, he has over 300.000 gold and good equipment. If I should decide to embark upon the MQ (gasp!) he should be ready smile.gif

Not sure I am though...

Wow that's a lot of gold. Do you travel from province to province? Where are you getting all that gold?

I realized something about Arena the other day and I'm going to try to explain my thoughts. Back in 1994, a lot of RPG type games were isometric, which means they were viewed from the top down, and usually on an angle. I remember early versions of Gauntlet and Final Fantasy were like this.

The NPCs in these games moved in a digital way (on/off). They only move at one speed usually, at least in these earlier games this is true. Arena is the same way: all the NPCs move very quickly, and only at one speed. When they are done moving, they come to a dead stop. It almost seems as if Arena uses the same mechanicals as the isometric games; the main difference being its method of viewing the game.

Having trouble explaining what I mean, like I said.

This post has been edited by Renee Gade IV: Jan 1 2014, 04:46 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 1 2014, 09:53 PM
Post #58

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Jan 1 2014, 03:54 PM) *

I'll be the one who will try to find that hidden shrine or dungeon. It's just odd not having any roads to travel by, at least.

There are roads in fact, just look at the ground smile.gif

Wow that's a lot of gold. Do you travel from province to province? Where are you getting all that gold?

I stay in Skyrim and get my gold from slaying enemies on houses, plus Selling their weapons. Iīve been doing this since I came out of the prison so itīs no wonder I have so much gold now.

Having trouble explaining what I mean, like I said.

I understand perfectly what you mean smile.gif

Itīs like being in that isometric game and you just fly down from that angled top view and start walking on the ground. No rules have changed, just the view.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 1 2014, 10:14 PM
Post #59

Councilor
Group Icon

Here is a pic of Renee Gade I just after leaving the tutorial. She found that giant silver helmet! I'll have to get a pic of her without the helm on.

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 1 2014, 10:30 PM
Post #60

Spam Meister
Group Icon

My Nord just got a little interested laugh.gif laugh.gif

What class is she again?

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post

29 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:45 AM