21 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ESO Housing & Decorating, All things Homestead
Acadian
post Jan 15 2018, 03:52 AM
Post #241

Paladin
Group Icon

I agree on the Telvanni furnishings. They just seems so very . . . Bosmer. tongue.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jan 15 2018, 04:00 AM
Post #242

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Jan 14 2018, 08:52 PM) *

I agree on the Telvanni furnishings. They just seems so very . . . Bosmer. tongue.gif

Not sure the Telvanni would appreciate that appraisal. Or they wouldn’t care. One of the two, Khajiit is sure. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Jan 15 2018, 04:22 AM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 24 2018, 03:37 PM
Post #243

Councilor
Group Icon

Am I right in thinking that housing is designed to be an end-game sink for gold and mats?

The skill levels for the most basic stuff seems disproportionate, and the number of style and refinement materials seems like they want to use up the huge stocks left over from crafting equipment, once you're done with that. If you have to buy materials for furnishing, you're better off getting the complete item instead.

Between my crew, they can manage a stool, a bedroll, a chair, a basic mug, a backpack, and a wooden bowl. There may also be a few dummy food items, but since we can't make plates, nor a table to put them on, they're for "later".

My intent was to get homes for the crew as we reached the zones they'd feel at home in. Build furnishings as we got the required skills, and place them in the matching homes according to style (no dead-wooden things in Snugpod). I looked at our stocks of regulus, heartwood, clean pelts, etc. and thought the plan sound.

But equipment crafting uses up style, and refinement materials fairly rapidly, and there's no pool building up of those. If my crafter reserve their own style material for furnishings, and make equipment only with other races' that helps a bit, but only when a costume makes style a non-issue.

The crafting skill requirements seem stupidly high, too. The lowest I found for a proper bed (i.e. raised off the floor) is the High Elf one, requiring Woodworking level three - Beech level. You'd typically have almost completed your third zone before you could put a bed in the home in zone one or two. Since furnishings use multiple skills, a crafter would spend a lot of points before making anything useful. Wood elves have to wait until a crafting level of six before they get off the floor!

This post has been edited by ghastley: Jan 24 2018, 04:26 PM

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 24 2018, 05:18 PM
Post #244

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jan 24 2018, 09:37 AM) *

Am I right in thinking that housing is designed to be an end-game sink for gold and mats?

The skill levels for the most basic stuff seems disproportionate, and the number of style and refinement materials seems like they want to use up the huge stocks left over from crafting equipment, once you're done with that. If you have to buy materials for furnishing, you're better off getting the complete item instead.

Between my crew, they can manage a stool, a bedroll, a chair, a basic mug, a backpack, and a wooden bowl. There may also be a few dummy food items, but since we can't make plates, nor a table to put them on, they're for "later".

My intent was to get homes for the crew as we reached the zones they'd feel at home in. Build furnishings as we got the required skills, and place them in the matching homes according to style (no dead-wooden things in Snugpod). I looked at our stocks of regulus, heartwood, clean pelts, etc. and thought the plan sound.

But equipment crafting uses up style, and refinement materials fairly rapidly, and there's no pool building up of those. If my crafter reserve their own style material for furnishings, and make equipment only with other races' that helps a bit, but only when a costume makes style a non-issue.

The crafting skill requirements seem stupidly high, too. The lowest I found for a proper bed (i.e. raised off the floor) is the High Elf one, requiring Woodworking level three - Beech level. You'd typically have almost completed your third zone before you could put a bed in the home in zone one or two. Since furnishings use multiple skills, a crafter would spend a lot of points before making anything useful. Wood elves have to wait until a crafting level of six before they get off the floor!

Stonefalls has a low level Dwemer ruin in it (that is conveniently right on a materials path for gathering up anything you might need for any type of crafting, including furnishings) = called the "Inner Sea Armiture." Any Dwemer ruin will do, but this one is particularly productive to farm for style materials, rare motifs, recipes, furniture plans, and lockpicks.

It will keep you up in all the style materials you need for most crafting; but sometimes for crafting furniture you might still need to buy the style mats from the Vendor at any Smithy (15 gold per each) because most pieces of furniture take 15 style stones each to craft.

It isn't exactly that the furniture crafting is made for end game; it is that it is made for real Crafters; players who really enjoy farming up the materials they need and hand crafting anything they want to have. It takes learning recipes/plans/motifs/etc. It takes digging in dungeons for the materials; and it takes leveling up all your crafting skills to make furniture.

The better furniture does require higher learning in certain crafting skills (example: a certain high level piece might require the crafter have at least level 4 in Blacksmithing AND at least level 6 in Clothier, etc).

I actually love that they didn't make it so just anyone can jump in and start doing it at the highest levels without effort = it is the first thing this game has offered that really rewards the people who have taken the time to develop a full crafting character instead of just a combat or PvP Player.

It isn't for everyone, but from what I know of you through the years, you will end up being excellent at it in a lot less time than it took most of us to reach (if you want to do it) - and I get the feeling it will be right up your alley once you get going a little further in it.

Our Guild Bank has tons of furniture crafting plans just waiting for someone to grab them; and if you want to know what something looks like you can usually Google it and Tamriel Fashion (or someone) probably has a picture of it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 24 2018, 06:16 PM
Post #245

Councilor
Group Icon

I think my main gripe is that the items you can build at low levels are just too few. I agree that better items should be at higher levels, but at least let me get started! I can make a bedroll, a stool, something to drink out of - but I can't make any level of table to put down the drink! The least requirement I found for a table was Woodworking 3. The game needs a basic set of crude furnishings at level 1 to go with the bedroll, stool etc. I couldn't even find a low-level platform to raise the bedroll off the ground. The white-level "Rough Platform, Stage" also requires Woodworking 3.

And then I have to find or buy the plan for the item. The vendors have a few (like the bedroll) but you can't get a minimum (think student dorm furnishings) that way. RNG stuff then comes in, making you grind to get off the ground.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 24 2018, 07:09 PM
Post #246

Ancient
Group Icon

I never knew what the levels required were because Misa was already crafting at the highest level when Housing was released last year. (but knew there were some cross/skill requirements).

The Vendors have the least as far as Plans go; better to try looking in backpacks, dressers, nightstands, crates, barrels, etc. I usually get 5 furniture plans every day minimum by just looting every non-stealing container I see.

Dwemer urns are a great place to find them; so are those Wood Elf urns you find in their outside camp-type areas in Grahtwood. (while you are out Skyshard hunting; leave no container unchecked, lol)

The best place to buy Plans if you want to buy them is the Guild Trader kiosks; not Vendors. Unlike the Vendors; the Guild Traders are in competition with each other, meaning they can and do have price wars. Their Plans are MUCH cheaper than the Vendor's; they have some real plans (not the base white ones); and you can look the Plans over before buying to see what the requirements are.

** Elden Root in Grahtwood; Wayrest in Stormhaven; Mournhold in Deshaan; Rawl'Kha in Reapers March; or Skywatch in Auridon are all places where bidding wars keep the prices lower than you might find somewhere else. Also = if you are out in the middle of nowhere and find a Guild Trader; they HAVE to price low to get people to even come to them, so always check them for good buys, too.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 24 2018, 08:09 PM
Post #247

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 24 2018, 01:09 PM) *

I never knew what the levels required were because Misa was already crafting at the highest level when Housing was released last year. (but knew there were some cross/skill requirements).

That's probably why it happened that way. It was designed for people who'd already been playing for quite some time, and they ignored those just starting.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jan 25 2018, 07:14 PM
Post #248

Master
Group Icon

I wouldn't say that they ignored those just starting, I think they wanted to give you ANOTHER reason to level up all your crafting.

When I started, in Aug '16, my original plan was to build one toon (Julian) for consumables and another (Maz) for equipment. I refined it further to have one toon for provisioning/enchanting (Julian), one toon for blacksmithing (Maz), one for woodworking/clothing (Alise) and one toon for alchemy (Argis), to better fit their RP purposes.

Then housing dropped, we became addicted to virtual real estate and decorating, and next thing I knew, Maz became our all purpose crafter - she gets first dibs on new plans and motifs (for Master Writs). Alise is our secondary, while Julian remains our Master Provisioner and Argis is still our Master Alchemist.

Now I have two more toons (Phae and Do Rah), but neither of them are interested in crafting, and so are still on Level 1.

I can imagine it's discouraging in the beginning to get started on crafting, and especially with a system like Housing; but I've always bought style materials for my six races from the vendors when I"m low (they're cheap), new plans and motifs from the Guild vendors (sometimes Maz will take a chunk of change out of the bank and go shopping for new stuff at the lowest prices she can find), and I do writs to keep the surveys coming.

Recently it feels like drops are getting scarcer, and I'm running out of items I never lacked before. It's frustrating when we're trying to fill new homes . . .

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 6 2018, 03:34 AM
Post #249

Councilor
Group Icon

Now that Darnand has Ravenhurst, I think I'll redecorate his Rosy Lion room as student housing. Use only the basic things that can be bought or crafted at level 3 or below. And of course an opulent painting or two plus a stack of Dwarven gears, because those things turn up in the oddest places.

Pog started buying mats and plans, and now he is finally having some fun with housing. It was very frustrating to use just what the crew found.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Feb 6 2018, 04:31 PM
Post #250

Master
Group Icon

It's nice when you finally have a bit of gold accumulated to buy patterns and plans and (in Maz's case) motifs.

Then we see another house we really like, and it's back to saving, not spending. tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 26 2018, 05:50 PM
Post #251

Councilor
Group Icon

Taminwe won't let the crew spend gold on plans, because we're supposed to be saving up for Mathiisen Manor - she almost liked Cliffshade, but it has no grounds - and we aren't even half-way yet, only about 400,000.

Laurie discovered Montclair Manor in upper Shornhelm. It's empty after the quest there, so you can go rummage through the cabinets and find plans as often as you like. Since Unna's gone through there, too, on her Cadwell's Silver pass, they can alternate. However that has a Breton bias, so the Daggerfall Inn Room is well-furnished, but almost everywhere else is still sparse. The other Inn room in Ebonheart is doing well with Dunmer things, which seem to pop up all over the place, not just in the Pact zones you'd expect. Moonmirth also started to look habitable, now we made a bed. Surprisingly that one was just green level, despite the requirement for tier 8 tailoring. We're only just starting to see the higher level plans, but can make just about anything we find.

We're looking for good places in Redguard and Nord lands that have the same characteristics as Montclair Manor. The consensus is that we'd need to go through the public dungeons Razak's Wheel, and the Windhelm Hall of the Dead and search urns instead. Not such an easy run for a solo player. There may also be a few delves as second-best.

Spreads thinks the Argonian housing is a bit primitive for her tastes. She may prefer Dark Elf, or even Imperial, but hasn't yet found a home she wants.

The Montclair runs have also netted quite a few recipes, which also helps Laurie's cause. Having just become a Master Provisioner, she needs to learn a whole lot more of them.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jun 21 2018, 01:38 PM
Post #252

Councilor
Group Icon

Just a couple of random home shots to record where I am now.

Snugpod has reached the comfortable stage. Wizwen has somewhere to cook, eat, store things, and sleep. (Warning! wiiiiiiiiiide image) I used the provisioning station with a Nord Torch added for the extra light/flames, as none of the other fires fit as well.

The motley junk pile that was in the Rosy Lion has been redistributed according to style, and what's left there is just the appropriate Breton items. Unfortunately, the only Breton carpets Laurie know how to make are HUGE, so the floor is currently bare. More clutter will be added as it turns up, so the shelves won't stay bare.

Twin Arches and Sleek Creek are further on, but actively being added to, so I'll leave those to later. Mournoth Keep and Mathiisen Manor are almost empty still. I'm just not finding High Elf and Orcish plans at the same rate as the others. Minx' St Delyn Penthouse is looking quite decent, but she won't let me take pictures until the vellum lamps are in (and have you seen the price of the formulae?). She's doing regular trips to the Dreloth tomb, and hoping for miracles.

----

Minor rant while I'm here. Did you know that Khajiit get no chairs? I can make a sofa, bench, and several styles of stools, but not a chair. And for further illogic, there are two sizes of cushions - the small one takes more materials and higher skill than the large one, which is essentially three of the small one joined together!

My problem is in tying to create a dining area for Sleek Creek. Dining table and chairs doesn't work with no Khajiit chairs, and sitting down on cushions around a communal dish Arabian-style doesn't work, because there are no serving dishes large enough.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Jun 21 2018, 02:45 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 21 2018, 02:57 PM
Post #253

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jun 21 2018, 08:38 AM) *

Snugpod has reached the comfortable stage. Wizwen has somewhere to cook, eat, store things, and sleep. (Warning! wiiiiiiiiiide image) I used the provisioning station with a Nord Torch added for the extra light/flames, as none of the other fires fit as well.

The motley junk pile that was in the Rosy Lion has been redistributed according to style, and what's left there is just the appropriate Breton items. Unfortunately, the only Breton carpets Laurie know how to make are HUGE, so the floor is currently bare. More clutter will be added as it turns up, so the shelves won't stay bare.

Twin Arches and Sleek Creek are further on, but actively being added to, so I'll leave those to later. Mournoth Keep and Mathiisen Manor are almost empty still. I'm just not finding High Elf and Orcish plans at the same rate as the others. Minx' St Delyn Penthouse is looking quite decent, but she won't let me take pictures until the vellum lamps are in (and have you seen the price of the formulae?). She's doing regular trips to the Dreloth tomb, and hoping for miracles.

----

Minor rant while I'm here. Did you know that Khajiit get no chairs? I can make a sofa, bench, and several styles of stools, but not a chair. And for further illogic, there are two sizes of cushions - the small one takes more materials and higher skill than the large one, which is essentially three of the small one joined together!

My problem is in tying to create a dining area for Sleek Creek. Dining table and chairs doesn't work with no Khajiit chairs, and sitting down on cushions around a communal dish Arabian-style doesn't work, because there are no serving dishes large enough.

What do Khajiit tails do when they sit down? If they stick out the back, maybe they need a bench type seat or stool rather than a chair?

Wow, your Rosy Lion looks so bright and cheery! I've never seen the light coming through the windows that way, Awesome!

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 21 2018, 03:25 PM
Post #254

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jun 21 2018, 07:38 AM) *

----

It’s very clean! Khajiit also noted your lil’ buddy hanging out on the top bunk!

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 21 2018, 08:57 AM) *

What do Khajiit tails do when they sit down? If they stick out the back, maybe they need a bench type seat or stool rather than a chair?

Well the chair would have to have an open space in the back to accommodate the tail. From there a Khajiit could just curl their tail around the chair to keep folks from stepping on it/tripping over it (although, everyone knows that making people trip while carrying platters at a dinner party is favorite amusement for some Khajiit, laugh.gif ).

This one suspects that the Khajiit don’t have chairs because the devs didn’t know what a southeast Asian chair would look like. So they just made cushioned stools. Very gaudy ones at that.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Jun 21 2018, 03:26 PM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jun 21 2018, 06:52 PM
Post #255

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jun 21 2018, 10:25 AM) *

It’s very clean! Khajiit also noted your lil’ buddy hanging out on the top bunk!

The game has presented me with a whole lot of housecats, so there's one on the bed in each of the homes, except: Snugpod has no bed, just a hammock, so no cat. Unna has a Sabre Cat cub instead of a house cat, and it's playing in front of the fire with Sir Socks's Ball of Yarn.

Twin Arches also has a Jackal, a Mastiff, and the Alik'r Dune-hound outside. They live in a cargo crate tipped over on its side. Sleek Creek has the new Dusky Fennec stationed as guard in a Khajiit loft by the gate. Blossom has her Eschalette out by the gate at Mournoth, and Taminwe will house all the Dwarven critters(?) at Mathiisen.

All of my pets stay at home, with the cats inside, and the dogs etc. outside. So far, I have no unused mounts, but they only appear when ridden.

And I think I'll take a hint from Buffy, and have my new Nixad guard Snugpod.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Jun 21 2018, 09:02 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 21 2018, 09:52 PM
Post #256

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jun 21 2018, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jun 21 2018, 07:38 AM) *

----

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 21 2018, 08:57 AM) *

Well the chair would have to have an open space in the back to accommodate the tail. From there a Khajiit could just curl their tail around the chair to keep folks from stepping on it/tripping over it (although, everyone knows that making people trip while carrying platters at a dinner party is favorite amusement for some Khajiit, laugh.gif ).

This one suspects that the Khajiit don’t have chairs because the devs didn’t know what a southeast Asian chair would look like. So they just made cushioned stools. Very gaudy ones at that.

rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif Well, I can't dispute you on the gaudiness of their furnishings, but I did think that cushiony=ness of the benches did look like something a cat might like to sprawl on if they had a "Sprawl" emote; and we know they sit on stools by the Khajiit that brings us our crates, laugh.gif

I actually did wonder why the wood furniture for Khajiit was kind of scratched up, though; did the Devs think Khajiit were sharpening their claws on their own furniture? laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Jun 22 2018, 02:24 AM
Post #257

Master
Group Icon

Rakaand's room at the Rosy Lion is now much cosier!! Thanks mALX!! IPB Image

https://i.imgur.com/JJ7eXPV.png

https://i.imgur.com/h2w2Lna.png

https://i.imgur.com/U7WHOKZ.png

This post has been edited by Kane: Jun 22 2018, 02:24 AM

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 22 2018, 02:29 AM
Post #258

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kane @ Jun 21 2018, 08:24 PM) *

Nice! goodjob.gif

Boy, the Dominion folks sure got the short end of the free room stick. That tiny room in Vukel Guard is crap.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 22 2018, 02:39 AM
Post #259

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jun 21 2018, 09:29 PM) *

Nice! goodjob.gif

Boy, the Dominion folks sure got the short end of the free room stick. That tiny room in Vukel Guard is crap.

I like that Vulkhel Guard one a lot; you just have to work with the shape of it:

https://imgur.com/a/pSUm7

QUOTE(Kane @ Jun 21 2018, 09:24 PM) *

Awesome !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 22 2018, 02:48 AM
Post #260

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 21 2018, 08:39 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jun 21 2018, 09:29 PM) *

Nice! goodjob.gif

I like that Vulkhel Guard one a lot; you just have to work with the shape of it:

https://imgur.com/a/pSUm7

Eh, Khajiit thinks it’s too small. This one was definitely all too happy to spend money on the Sisters of the Sands apartment.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post

21 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:09 PM