I'm terrified of them. [ 1 ] ** [2.70%]
Total Votes: 37
Guests cannot vote 
Renee
post Mar 18 2021, 05:40 PM
Post #141

Councilor
Group Icon

Interesting, Crow. So when does everything turn green / bloom? What month?

The problem with spring (in Maryland) especially in the past, is some years it would too hot too fast. One week it's 40 degrees, the next two it'll be in the 80s. cool.gif Everything blooms at once. Everyone's sneezing, or if they're not it's because addicted to Benadryl. There is no real true spring during those years, it goes from winter to summer, just like that. mad.gif And we can't even enjoy all the flowers because within a week or two the heat causes them to wilt, so most of them are gone.

In fact, global warming has had an opposite effect in Maryland. These last few years spring has come on much more gradually, which I like. cool.gif

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 18 2021, 05:51 PM
Post #142

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Mar 18 2021, 05:40 PM) *

Interesting, Crow. So when does everything turn green / bloom? What month?

Usually some time in May, that's when you start to really see it.

QUOTE(Renee @ Mar 18 2021, 05:40 PM) *

In fact, global warming has had an opposite effect in Maryland.

Interesting thing about that global warming. We had ice that was miles thick right where I sit typing this, but now there isn't. People say global warming started with cars and farting cows when really it started 10.000 years ago. The winters we have now are remnants of that last ice age.

Not sure what cars we had that melted all that ice though tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 7 2021, 11:20 PM
Post #143

Master
Group Icon

Another stormy evening for us. So far, no tornado warning. All tornado watches have thus far passed just to our west or our east. Some storms producing tornado watches to the south might well encompass us as they head north. Good news is that the last round of storms should pass beyond us by bedtime.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 28 2021, 01:05 PM
Post #144

Master
Group Icon

Two day of storms, today and tomorrow. As of now, nothing worse than potentially gusty winds and heavy rain is expected from them. Sunday through Tuesday will be stormy. Too soon to know if those are potentially damaging.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post May 6 2021, 07:59 PM
Post #145

Master
Group Icon

What the.....?????

This was predicted to be a mildly stormy day. A couple of hours of rain, lightning, gusty winds, and the potential for non-worrisome small hail. That was the extent of it. This forecast held sway the previous time I checked, only a couple of hours ago. I just double-checked. We're now facing some hours of severe storms, beginning not long from now. I'm in the path of what looks to be the worst of them. Expected hail damage. A much stronger chance of tornados.

I think what happened is the front is moving in an unusual direction. Looking at the weather map, I'd expect it to pass us by to the west traveling northeast. Nope. It's headed East Southeast.

Here's hoping whatever happens is less dire than forecast.

ADDENDUM:

Now a bit past 1500, all I can say is "What a day!". Looking out the front window right after posting the above, I was greeted to a lovely afternoon, blue sky and a few fluffy clouds. Looking out the computer-room window (back of the house) showed dark, scary totally storm-cloud infested sky. Now, looking out the computer room window I see a lovely sun-drenched afternoon with a few fluffy clouds. Looking out the front windows shows much the same close by, but heavy clouds further back. Luckily, those are traveling away from us. Looks as if whatever might have befallen us passed us by unscathed. There's a little water build up in the center of the street, so it must have rained a bit while the front passed above us. It takes a super heavy rain for me to hear it hit the roof.

So far as I can tell, that's it for the day, threat wise.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: May 7 2021, 09:03 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 7 2021, 01:37 AM
Post #146

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ May 6 2021, 02:59 PM) *

What the.....?????

This was predicted to be a mildly stormy day. A couple of hours of rain, lightning, gusty winds, and the potential for non-worrisome small hail. That was the extent of it. This forecast held sway the previous time I checked, only a couple of hours ago. I just double-checked. We're now facing some hours of severe storms, beginning not long from now. I'm in the path of what looks to be the worst of them. Expected hail damage. A much stronger chance of tornados.

I think what happened is the front is moving in an unusual direction. Looking at the weather map, I'd expect it to pass us by to the west traveling northeast. Nope. It's headed East Southeast.

Here's hoping whatever happens is less dire than forecast.

ADDENDUM:

Now a bit past 1500, all I can say is "What a day!". Looking out the front window right after posting the above, I was greeted to a lovely afternoon, blue sky and a few fluffy clouds. Looking out the computer window (back of the house) showed dark, scary totally storm-cloud infested sky. Now, looking out the computer room window I see a lovely sun-drenched afternoon with a few fluffy clouds. Looking out the front windows shows much the same close by, but heavy clouds further back. Luckily, those are traveling away from us. Looks as if whatever might have befallen us passed us by unscathed. There a little water build up in the center of the road, so it must have rained a bit while the front passed above up. It takes a super heavy rain for me to hear it hit the roof.

So far as I can tell, that's it for the day, threat wise.

I'm glad you gave us the update; I was worried since I read the original post before the addendum! Thank goodness!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post May 17 2021, 01:58 AM
Post #147

Master
Group Icon

Up until sometime today, we've been forecast for constant thunderstorms between tomorrow the 17th and running through the 27th! Double-checked the forecast a few minutes ago. Tomorrow is a rain only day. Three straight days of thunderstorms, none potentially severe as of yet, then days of overcast skies. The 25th is another rain day. I didn't look beyond that.

To play it safe, I make my weekly grocery run first thing this morning rather than tomorrow. As of now, I don't need to leaving the house again until next week, except to check mail and exercise-walks, weather permitting.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: May 17 2021, 02:00 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 12 2021, 01:49 AM
Post #148

Master
Group Icon

My area was hit by tornadoes yesterday, 10 Dec. I wasn't aware of the danger until faintly hearing the town's sirens a bit past 2030. I was at the computer at the time, where else would I be?, working on a TS2022 YouTube episode. Looking out the living-room window, nothing looked amiss. I decided to play it safe and turn on my TV (which gets used only during severe weather threats). The local station's Storm Team was broadcasting nonstop updates on a nasty front moving through the region.

A minute or two or three later they announced a tornado spotted a few miles to my southwest, heading northeast. Soon after, the tornado was reported to be 'at' my town. I'd used those few minutes to fully dress and stick in my teeth, then sat glued to the TV hoping for the best.

Thankfully, the best did indeed come to pass. So far as I know, the funnel remained in the sky as it passed over us. In any case, I've heard of no damage in my immediate vicinity.

Much of the local area wasn't so lucky. We were hit by multiple tornadoes. Lives were lost, people injured. One Nursing Home took a direct hit. Another, in a different town, was damaged. Lots of property damage across the region. I don't (yet) know the full extent of it, this being a Saturday with no daytime TV news coverage.

But again, I came through okay. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 12 2021, 04:40 AM
Post #149

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Dec 11 2021, 06:49 PM) *

My area was hit by tornadoes yesterday, 10 Dec. I wasn't aware of the danger until faintly hearing the town's sirens a bit past 2030. I was at the computer at the time, where else would I be?, working on a TS2022 YouTube episode. Looking out the living-room window, nothing looked amiss. I decided to play it safe and turn on my TV (which gets used only during severe weather threats). The local station's Storm Team was broadcasting nonstop updates on a nasty front moving through the region.

A minute or two or three later they announced a tornado spotted a few miles to my southwest, heading northeast. Soon after, the tornado was reported to be 'at' my town. I'd used those few minutes to fully dress and stick in my teeth, then sat glued to the TV hoping for the best.

Thankfully, the best did indeed come to pass. So far as I know, the funnel remained in the sky as it passed over us. In any case, I've heard of no damage in my immediate vicinity.

Much of the local area wasn't so lucky. We were hit by multiple tornadoes. Lives were lost, people injured. One Nursing Home took a direct hit. Another, in a different town, was damaged. Lots of property damage across the region. I don't (yet) know the full extent of it, this being a Saturday with no daytime TV news coverage.

But again, I came through okay. smile.gif

Glad you are safe D! It’s been bad weather where I am too, but our area only got a bunch of rain.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 12 2021, 09:16 AM
Post #150

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Wow, close call there, Decrepit. Glad to know everything went fine! smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 12 2021, 02:33 PM
Post #151

Paladin
Group Icon

Glad you weathered things okay, Decrepit, and didn't end up in Oz!

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 2 2022, 10:49 PM
Post #152

Master
Group Icon

Oh-oh . . . Winter Storm Warning here. We drop below freezing and stay there until sometime Sunday. One to three inches of ice is expected. Last time this happened, back in 2009, I was without power for 5-6 days. I was younger then (duh!), and survived relatively unscathed except for losing two trees. Also, neighbors let me stay in their generator-heated house while they visited relatives who didn't lose power. Those neighbors are long gone. Hopefully, this won't be anywhere close to as bad as it was back in 2009. We shall see, I reckon. <crosses fingers>

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 3 2022, 10:09 PM
Post #153

Master
Group Icon

Unless something unexpected happens later today, my local area seems to have gotten off easy, winter storm wise. Road icing and closed institutions/businesses seems about the extent of it. Neither my brother nor I lost power. I set out trash yesterday for today's pickup. I don't think it happened. I braved the weather only long enough to check mail (nothing) and bring in the garbage container. Thankfully, other than mail checks, I don't need to leave the house until Monday at the soonest. Which is fine by me smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 3 2022, 11:32 PM
Post #154

Paladin
Group Icon

Whew, glad your power's up! smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Feb 4 2022, 06:58 AM
Post #155

Master
Group Icon

One thing I do miss from my old home was hearing the sound of the rain and wind hitting the metal roof and making that soothing thunderstorm sound. First thunderstorm I heard in the new house I could barely hear it.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 4 2022, 11:16 AM
Post #156

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ Feb 3 2022, 11:58 PM) *

One thing I do miss from my old home was hearing the sound of the rain and wind hitting the metal roof and making that soothing thunderstorm sound. First thunderstorm I heard in the new house I could barely hear it.
My hearing is at the point where I almost never hear rain/wind on the roof, no matter how intense. I was therefore quite surprised yesterday morning when I heard faint muffled sounds of what must have been sleet hitting the roof from maybe 30min prior to 0500 breakfast until a bit after its end. Oddly, a look out the living room window showed only moderate downfall. I at first assumed the sound was part of a YouTube video I was watching at the time, as my PC's audio equalizer is set to slope high frequencies upward to an extent likely considered alarming to those with decent hearing. Not that it helps all that much. But no, the video ended. The sound did not.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 16 2022, 01:35 PM
Post #157

Master
Group Icon

Wheeeeeeeeeeee . . . panic.gif

This has been a rough week, weather wise. Severe storm threats Monday thru Wednesday evening. The last of those threats did a good bit of damage. Luckily, the atmosphere in my immediate area was stable enough that the front did not generate its damaging storms until just after it passed my town, headed east.

Thursday and yesterday were supposed to be safe, with little more than rains forecast for yesterday evening.

Shut down the computer last night around 2000. Retired to the sofa to read awhile before donning CPAP gear. I'd not read long when the town's warning sirens sounded. Turned on the living room TV to KAIT. Was greeted with live coverage of a weather emergency in progress. Tornado on the ground. Large hail. Damaging winds. My town was within the emergency area. The storm almost on top of us.

Pulled on a pair of jeans, to have wallet and keys on me. Exchanged house-slippers to more rugged footwear. Stuck in my teeth. Hoped for the best. (My house has no "tornado safe spot".) Thankfully, the storm's core passed just enough to our north to spare us the worst of the damage. We did get a lengthy, heavy hail pounding. Once the storm was comfortably east, I braved the outdoors to check the car for windshield/body damage. All's well on that front. I couldn't check the roof until this morning. I 'think' it's OK, but need better visibility to know for sure. (The sky remains overcast.)

I've not yet found a post of KAIT's stellar-as-usual storm coverage on YouTube. I did, however, find a record of real-time coverage from a non-local source unfamiliar to me. It begins not long after I turned on the TV. My town is seen within the emergency area.

(video) Live Storm Coverage, evening of 15 April 2022, Northeast AR (video)

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 16 2022, 01:48 PM
Post #158

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Another storm outridden at Decrepit's!

Good to know you were spared yet again goodjob.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 16 2022, 04:53 PM
Post #159

Paladin
Group Icon

Glad you made it through this one okay, Decrepit. ohmy.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Lefty Scaevola
post Apr 17 2022, 09:33 PM
Post #160

Retainer

I have enjoyed them since childhood, but at my now retirement home, they can get a bit intense and (wind) damaging. Lost the wind chimes to just a medium one a few days ago.

This post has been edited by Lefty Scaevola: Apr 17 2022, 09:34 PM

--------------------

Older, richer, and wiser* than you.
*but likely less IT competent.
"Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event."
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:27 AM