Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Some Place
raithen
post Jul 9 2005, 02:06 PM
Post #1

Retainer

Hello, everyone. I'm now submitting a book written again by "Unkown". I don't know where it would go (fact? fiction?), as it can be true, or false. Depends on how the reader thinks of it.
NOTE: I recommend reading mt character's Founder's Fate before you read this.

Some Place

I can never remember how to start a book, and I’ve never really been able to, properly. So, I’ll start by saying this: I met, and heard, some pretty weird things and people in my hitchhiking across Nirn-but none will replace what one man once told me. It was a tale, and I almost have to believe what he said if not for the impossibility of it all. Let me tell you.

I was at a tavern on a good, dark evening. Everything was fine, normal, and no complaints here. I strolled into the tavern, not busy as usual, but all the regulars were there. O’Wile was at the bar serving food and drink, Fletcher the Wood Elf sitting in a corner alone, Skrawakh ma Grudub and the Nord Brór Snowwater at a table arguing, and good Carnius at the bar. But someone was at the bar beside Carnius; and it looked like he was talking to him.

Carnius interrupted the man, and called me over with a wave. “Come, come! You’ve got to here this guy’s stories!”

“Allright!” I shouted at him with a laugh. I made my way over there and found out that the man Carnius was talking to was indeed another Imperial. This imperial did not where is hair long, or short, nor was it tied back, it was just in-between. “So who’s this fella’?” I asked.

“He’s just a guy, but listen to what he has to say!” Carnius told me excitedly.

“And? What DO you have to say?”

“Plenty,” said the other Imperial in a deep, chalky voice. “Plenty.”

Here is what he told me…

It wasn’t that long ago when it happened. A month, I think. I was in Cyrodiil. I had gone into a town looking for a place to stay for the night. I came upon a tavern that housed a few beds, and I thought I could have a quick drink before falling asleep, so I went in. When I entered, I walked up to the bar, ordered a brandy, and sat down. It wasn’t long before I spotted an older Breton fellow who, by the looks of him, had shaved his beard.

“Why shave such a magnificent beard,” I asked of him, because it was quite obvious he had shaved off a long, white beard.
“So no one will recognize me,” he whispered at me. “I fear I will be caught-and then never able to return.”
“Return where?”
“A place far, far from here,” he replied.
“High Rock?” I offered.
“No.”
"Morrowind?"
"No, farther!"
“Summerset Island?”
“Damnit son! Think farther!” He was nearly shouting now.
“Don’t tell me you went to Akavir!”
“No. And your never going to guess correctly where I have been. It is a place unlike our own kingdom. There are no beast races there, nor Elves, and I’m not so sure if there are men there, either. You see? I’ve only been away a few days, and I’m already forgetting it! It’s seeping from my mind, and I fear I may go crazy without the memory. But there still are things I can remember. This place is called 'Urth'." The old man looked around urgently. "I must leave soon.” Hastily, this fella’ got up to leave. I grabbed his traveling cloak and forced him to stay.
“Why were you telling me all this?”
“I tell you because I fear that this place may be forgotten after I die.”
“But how do I get there?”
“There is a book that will give you directions, it is a book without a title. That is all I can say. For I do not know where this book is, I lost it, and it could be in the hands of millions now.”
He began walking away, he was already half-way across the tavern when I got up and shouted, “but what is your name?”
He stopped, and looked back at me.

After the Imperial finished his story, I ordered a drink. It wasn’t a long story, so my thirst hadn’t gone quenched for long.
“Tell me,” I said to him. “What does this all mean?”
“It means that there is still a book out there that will tell me how to get to this ‘Other Place’. I haven’t found the book yet, so I’m willing to pay handsomely for someone to find it, and bring it to me.”
“An untitled book, eh?” said Carnius. “Hmm… And what if this is just the rantings of an old senile man?”
“Well, I must know the truth,” replied the Imperial.
“Hey! I’m going down to the Imperial province in a few days! I’m packed and ready to leave. Perhaps I can look around for the book a little bit?”
“Thanks, but something like this could possibly take years.”
“Couldn’t hurt, could it? And besides, I’ve got a copy of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to Nirn, so that should help me.”
“I thank-you for the gesture, but I need people that are willing to devote a small part of their life to this.” He got up to leave.
As he was heading for the door, I thought of something to ask him that I meant to ten minuets ago. “Wait! What was the name of the Breton fellow in the story?”
“Nehtiar Tahtra!” he shouted back at me, then walked out the tavern doors.

Tell me what you think!

This post has been edited by raithen: Jul 23 2005, 08:05 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
vaanic~one
post Jul 23 2005, 07:55 PM
Post #2

Finder
Group Icon

Heehee! Nice story....."urth" heehee!

I like it! It's one of those stories that makes you smile.

--------------------
IPB Image

Oliver_lowe@hotmail.com
TESSource Staff
+Quote Post
raithen
post Jul 23 2005, 07:58 PM
Post #3

Retainer

GAAH! How long has it been? A week? Two weeks? It took someone two weeks to post some feed-back? kvleft.gif

And thanks for the comment, that was what I was aiming for. And for more mind-boggling stuff, read my Founder's Fate, then read this story again. wacko.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
stargate525
post Jul 24 2005, 03:28 AM
Post #4

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(raithen @ Jul 23 2005, 03:58 PM)
GAAH! How long has it been? A week? Two weeks? It took someone two weeks to post some feed-back? kvleft.gif

And thanks for the comment, that was what I was aiming for. And for more mind-boggling stuff, read my Founder's Fate, then read this story again.  wacko.gif

heh. nice.

--------------------
these forums taste almost, but not quite, completely unlike tea.
+Quote Post
raithen
post Jul 28 2005, 09:21 PM
Post #5

Retainer

QUOTE(stargate525 @ Jul 24 2005, 03:28 AM)
heh. nice.

Wow. People actualy read these threads? kvright.gif

P.S. No one else is going to poast some feedback for the story? devilsad.gif

This post has been edited by raithen: Jul 28 2005, 09:22 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:36 AM