Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V « < 9 10 11  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy - Book 3, We're Having a Crisis Here!
macole
post Jul 8 2020, 03:59 PM
Post #201

Agent

Mazoga, there couldn't be a more fitting hero than Mazoga. Really did like this one. Martin's words were truly inspiring.

--------------------
"Mysticism involves the manipulation of magical forces and boundaries to bypass the structures and limitations of the physical world." I call it Console Magic of the Fey.

Endure and through enduring grow strong.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 8 2020, 07:24 PM
Post #202

Ancient
Group Icon

Martin is calling Dagon out into the street at high noon!

Your positioning of Buffy on the wall gives her (and us) and excellent position to observe what is happening in the fight. Buffy and the rest of Parwen's charges are clearly the heavy artillery/air support, decimating the enemy before they can reach the line. While the infantry are, well, the poor bloody infantry aren't they? It is actually much like my Pillars of Eternity battles went.

“Fire at will!” commanded Parwen.
Poor Will, everyone is always shooting at him! wink.gif

The grim situation and my exhaustion provided fertile soil for the poisonous vines of doubt and fear that insidiously tugged at my resolve.
The poisonous vines of doubt and fear was a wonderful turn of phrase.

Huzzah for the Orcs! One does not often see fantasy fiction where the Orcs save the day from the Dark Lord's evil hordes.

Buffy reminds me of Apollo now. Archer and healer. She has the power to both take lives and save them.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 8 2020, 09:17 PM
Post #203

Councilor
Group Icon

Either the gates would close and we would win. . . or a siege crawler would emerge and we would likely perish

It only got through to me now, that the outcome of the crawler being half-way out, and getting destroyed by the process is the optimal third alternative. We never know if Dagon only has the one, and this is that same one from Kvatch, in which case Buffy has some extra satisfaction in revenge. It would certainly account for no further attempts.

I was glad to see you actually describe the battle outside. I note that Hazmick has chickened out, and let Haa-Rei go in. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Mods for Oblivion and now Daggerfall and Skyrim. Fan fiction, too.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jul 9 2020, 01:13 PM
Post #204

Councilor
Group Icon

"Self-replenishing quiver".... that seems to be an Elder Scrolls Online reference! Unless you had a mod in your Oblivion days.

Good lord, this is more like Game of Thrones, with all these waves of enemies coming through. Even so, it's surprising that eventually they do run short of replenishment Daedra. devilsmile.gif

Wait, why isn't she going in to the Great Gate? Oh I get it. Those orcs are going in. sad.gif Dang, I was hoping Buffy would save the world. One of my characters perished inside the Great Gate by the way, and I did not reload. Her game was infected by the A-bomb, and there was a door which would not open. indifferent.gif Clock ticking down.... etc. sad.gif

+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jul 9 2020, 03:10 PM
Post #205

Master
Group Icon

Ahh, the quandary we writers face when dealing with the conflict between the scope of a massive battle like that for Bruma and the limited perspective of our own characters. I have to admit when I wrote my version, I was strongly influenced by the Deeds of Paksenarrion and how Paks never knew what was going on except for the small slice of reality directly in front of her. That is why I had Martin designate her his sergeant of sorts, directing the distribution of troops, etc.

I had suspected your use of “attrite” was military jargon, and consistent with both the character uttering it and the context of the situation. I just wanted to confirm that it was so, and thank you for that confirmation.

I also liked that you told this battle from the outside, instead of from the inside. Having our glass cannon on the walls through out makes perfect sense.

I look forward to the healing/recovery sessions - I find them both a joy to write because they give us further insight into our characters, but also a grueling process, because our characters are in pain and grief. I wonder how Buffy will handle it. Probably better than Julian did!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jul 10 2020, 07:18 PM
Post #206

Master
Group Icon

Wow, what a tense episode that was! So riders from the north were the Knights of the White Stallion! Quite a contingent arrived to battle against the Daedra!

This episode was one of those that you just must read at once from the beginning to the end, because it makes you too curious what would happen next.

All hail Mazoga and Agronak, the Heroes of Bruma!

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 9 10 11
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th July 2020 - 09:01 PM