No, never [ 2 ] ** [11.76%]
Total Votes: 17
Guests cannot vote 
mirocu
post Feb 20 2013, 08:24 PM
Post #1

Spam Meister
Group Icon

As I have never done the Oblivion Main Quest, Id like to ask if any of the forumites here never have either. I'm pretty sure Im alone but I need to know!

The reason I never did it was actually because of the pictures on the back of the DVD case. One of them showed a destroyed city which I now know is Kvatch. But back then I thought it could happen to Bruma and I was terrified of that! I loved Bruma and didnt want anything to happen to it by progressing through the MQ. As some things do happen around Bruma during the course of the MQ I am very happy I never did it as it would have forever ruined my beloved Jeralls.

But the question remains; Am I alone about never having done the Oblivion MQ?

This post has been edited by mirocu: Nov 28 2016, 10:45 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 20 2013, 08:46 PM
Post #2

Paladin
Group Icon

I did the MQ during my early evaluation playthroughs. That was before I allowed Buffy to play Oblivion.

Buffy has recently seen the end of the Oblivion Crisis that has plagued her world for several years. She is not the Champion of Cyrodiil, however, for such honors go to those of much stouter stuff than she. But that is another story. . . .

Knowing some of the forumers here as I do though, I suspect you are not the only one to have never completed the MQ. smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 20 2013, 08:57 PM
Post #3

Councilor
Group Icon

I have two kinds of characters: those who never start the MQ (i.e. just dump the Amulet of Kings with Jauffre and walk out), and those who complete it. Nobody quits part-way.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 20 2013, 08:59 PM
Post #4

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I was asking you as a player, ghastley. But I got the answer anyway smile.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Feb 20 2013, 09:00 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 20 2013, 09:06 PM
Post #5

Councilor
Group Icon

Actually, I should probably add that I've created characters to do all the quest lines. I want to play the whole game I bought (and that other folks added to) so even if all the quests don't suit the same character, I'll create someone else who'd do them.

I'd suspect that the only people who have never had a character that does the MQ will be those who make one and stick with them, and maybe it's more likely that the "single-character" players will avoid it. It's kind of the opposite of the "beat the game" syndrome, a sub-conscious belief that doing the MQ will finish everything you want to continue.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Feb 20 2013, 09:38 PM
Post #6

Master
Group Icon

I did it once, with my only CoC Amadeus in 2006. I enjoyed the beginning quests that mostly take place in the IC but I didn't especially like the ones that involved closing numerous gates. I tried to do it once again in 2012 but I dropped that character for good. I doubt I'll ever do it again. Still, I must say that at that time I found Camoran and his family as quite interesting and well-designed antagonists.

This post has been edited by Lopov: Feb 20 2013, 09:39 PM

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Feb 20 2013, 10:15 PM
Post #7

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Feb 20 2013, 11:24 AM) *

But the question remains; Am I alone about never having done the Oblivion MQ?

No you're not alone, mirocu. I've never finished Oblivion's main quest either.

QUOTE(Acadian @ Feb 20 2013, 11:46 AM) *

Knowing some of the forumers here as I do though, I suspect you are not the only one to have never completed the MQ. smile.gif

Were you looking over at me, Acadian? whistling.gif

QUOTE(ghastley @ Feb 20 2013, 12:06 PM) *

I'd suspect that the only people who have never had a character that does the MQ will be those who make one and stick with them, and maybe it's more likely that the "single-character" players will avoid it. It's kind of the opposite of the "beat the game" syndrome, a sub-conscious belief that doing the MQ will finish everything you want to continue.

An interesting point. I suspect you may be onto something for the most part. Speaking for myself, I have had at least one ongoing character for each race except Khajiit (which is a shame because I actually like the Khajiiti, I just can't get past the idea of an individual covered in fur encasing themselves in armor... or clothing), and I haven't completed the game with any of them. I don't need to 'complete' the game in order to feel good about it, and I don't need the achievement validation.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 20 2013, 10:40 PM
Post #8

Ancient
Group Icon

I have done the mq with 3 or 4 characters out of two or three dozen. Most of the time it just is not something I want to do. It gets tedious after a while.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 21 2013, 12:27 AM
Post #9

Forum Bard
Group Icon

I always do the main quest at some time or another but will normally avoid it with following characters.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 21 2013, 02:20 AM
Post #10

Councilor
Group Icon

I've finished the main quest before, and I have a character who is presently engaged in it.

I have a great deal of curiosity, and I enjoy the game world tremendously. I cant imagine skipping part of it on purpose. Locations, NPCs, dialog, notes, I want to see them all. No matter how many characters it ends up taking to get me into everything. tongue.gif

Most of my characters do not get drawn into Jauffre's net. But I still very much enjoy doing the main quest (at least as much of it as they survive) with the ones who do.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Of Beasts
post Feb 21 2013, 04:45 AM
Post #11

Ancient
Group Icon

I've finished the main quest. Five times in fact tongue.gif

--------------------
Bruh ☠️
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 21 2013, 04:30 PM
Post #12

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Destri Melarg @ Feb 20 2013, 10:15 PM) *

No you're not alone, mirocu. I've never finished Oblivion's main quest either.

But I havent even started it! biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Destri Melarg @ Feb 20 2013, 10:15 PM) *

I have had at least one ongoing character for each race except Khajiit (which is a shame because I actually like the Khajiiti, I just can't get past the idea of an individual covered in fur encasing themselves in armor... or clothing),

Who says you have to clothe them? They are felines so they dont need clothes imvho smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 21 2013, 09:40 PM
Post #13

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Destri Melarg @ Feb 20 2013, 03:15 PM) *

...each race except Khajiit (which is a shame because I actually like the Khajiiti, I just can't get past the idea of an individual covered in fur encasing themselves in armor... or clothing)

QUOTE(mirocu @ Feb 21 2013, 09:30 AM) *

Who says you have to clothe them? They are felines so they dont need clothes imvho smile.gif

I don't see why it's any different from why a human or an elf character would like clothing or armor...

Why not run around as a naked Khajiit though? laugh.gif

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 21 2013, 09:42 PM
Post #14

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Feb 21 2013, 09:40 PM) *

I don't see why it's any different from why a human or an elf character would like clothing or armor...

Khajiit have fur, humans and elves do not. Shave a Khajiit and you have a good reason to clothe them too wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 21 2013, 10:20 PM
Post #15

Councilor
Group Icon

Hmm. I should think that the diversity of Khajiit forms (some actually do look like animals), the history of slavery, and being called a beast-race would all contribute to Khajiit culture being even more focused on the importance of clothing as adornment.

Also you wouldnt have to shave Ohmes to make them need clothing. Arent they hairless? tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 21 2013, 10:23 PM
Post #16

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Feb 21 2013, 10:20 PM) *

you wouldnt have to shave Ohmes to make them need clothing. Arent they hairless? tongue.gif

Maybe, but I feel were drifting away a little too much from the subject now wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 21 2013, 10:24 PM
Post #17

Councilor
Group Icon

Good point. I have never done the main quest with a Khajiit. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Feb 23 2013, 04:40 AM
Post #18

Mouth
Group Icon

I have attempted the Main Quest three times, and only finished it* once. In efffect, I have "baeten the gmae" only once. dry.gif HEre are my accounts:

Renee Gade I: she was my 3rd character, a 'Jacquline of all trades'. I actually did quite a lot of side questing and guild questing before going to Kvatch with RG1. At the time I liked the idea of saving the 'best' quest for last; that was my mentality. Doing the MQ first seemed like rushing the game at the time. So once we finally got to Kvatch, I was shocked! The red skies and hellish theme really surprised me, and I immediately freaked out and ran away from Kvatch! laugh.gif

After this episode, I was disappointed. Every time RG1 would pass another gate, the sky would go red, and I'd start to freak! I didnt' want this! I didn't want Cyrodiil's placid countryside to turn into hell! ...and I was also not enjoying the way the game was leveling upwards. I rage-quit RG1's game one day, after seeing one too many glass bandits. rolleyes.gif Immersion was totally down the drain at that point, but let's not get offf-topic, right?

---------

Igodah Go^Pe: Igodah Go^Pe was a pure mage high elf. I was roleplaying with Igodah, rather than the videogamish Lara Croft approach I had with RG1. Igodah was not taking every quest thrown at her, and not another Jaqueline of all Trades: she focused mainly on the Mage's Guild and MQ.

She became Arch Mage, and that's when I started the MQ. I had put a lot of hours on her game, adventuring all over the place and messing with NPCs all over Cyrodiil. Since her game was on PS3, this meant bad things. The A-bomb struck at about 360 hours or so. ohmy.gif She literaly got stuck in one of the final Oblivion towers , while the clock was ticking down! sad.gif The A-bomb prevented her from opening a door, and so that was the end of Tamriel (in her reality) and the end of her game.

----------

The Grey Wizard: Same idea as Igodah's game: The Grey Wizard became Arch Mage and followed this with the MQ; difference was he is Breton. He is also a male. My first male character in Cyrodiil.

I really wanted to finish the MQ by the time TGW was extant. But I started moseying again, just like I had with Igodah's game. Then Skyrim was announced. BAM! ... We had 11 months until 11/11/11, and so I had a real reason to at least try to finish the Main Quest! laugh.gif And we managed to do so, but during the Grey Wizard's game something unexpected happened: I started to LOVE finding new Oblivion gates to plunder!

TGW took up a short addiction with closing gates; he closed 20 or 25 during his 'career'. But he usually only chose gates which were near roads or civilized areas. If the gate was off in the wilderness, he usually would just leave it alone. The implication was: gates near civilization pose more of a threat, and must be closed first.

But I just think it's kinda neat how I initially hated dealing with Oblivion gates, to tolerating them, to finally enjoying them.

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Feb 23 2013, 05:10 AM
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 23 2013, 05:36 AM
Post #19

Councilor
Group Icon

I was surprised to learn that non-Champions of Cyrodiil were in the majority in my household. Two out of three Oblivion players here have not completed the MQ. One has not even started it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Feb 23 2013, 05:53 AM
Post #20

Ancient
Group Icon

I tried doing it right out of the dungeon and had my butt handed to me XD same thing at level 9. I tried again at level 14 and did better.

I don't think I could ever NOT do a main quest.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:36 PM