Thats when Stargate makes an NCP of me and i take over. biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
minque
post Jun 6 2005, 11:14 PM
Post #42

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Maybe Stargate should make an NPC of me......then we´ll have some real action wink.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
9of9
post Jun 6 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #43

Finder
Group Icon

That would be eerie... what would you do when your character meets herself in the game?

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
minque
post Jun 6 2005, 11:17 PM
Post #44

Wise Woman
Group Icon

No problems...it´s been done already..I have the mod "Hawthorn Hall" installed and my char is an NPC there so she´s met herself and killed heself as well.....(didn´t save though) biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
vaanic~one
post Jun 7 2005, 04:42 PM
Post #45

Finder
Group Icon

If there is only one NPC, it would be best if they were some old man or something like that, no other type of person really fits in as running a library.

--------------------
IPB Image

Oliver_lowe@hotmail.com
TESSource Staff
+Quote Post
stargate525
post Jun 7 2005, 09:05 PM
Post #46

Finder
Group Icon

[quote=jonajosa]As he said before... There is only one person running the library.[/quote]
but the people who work at the office cover-up would have to know wouldn't they?

--------------------
these forums taste almost, but not quite, completely unlike tea.
+Quote Post
Slith
post Jun 7 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #47

Associate

I had a wonderful idea. What if we made the library both in a city, and in the wilderness. Let me explain.

The library has an entrance in the city, perhaps hidden in a house, or down an alley, or not hidden at all - whatever works. This entrance could allow you to reach the library fairly quickly, without going into the woods.

However, once you're in the library you'll find every other entrance leads out into the wilderness, save the one you just came from (from the city). Maybe it should even be made unclear whether the library truly is located in the city or out in the wilds.

What I'm suggesting essentially, is the city entrance gates you over to the actual library. (Though don't make this clear. We don't want the players to know for sure where the library is located.) And then all the other doors leading out of the library will go to the wilderness.

Well, that's my idea for it anyway.

{Edit} Bah. Reading further on in the thread it appears the location has been decided already. So much for my grande idea.

By the way Stargate, I truly mean no offense, but I really dislike your design for the front office and I hope the rest of the library doesn't look like that. It's too bland and cramped. There's no feeling of wonder at the design, and it reminds me of those alphabet blocks I used to play with as a child. Except less colorful.

I don't want to sit back and say it's good just because you took some time out to work on it. I'd rather say "Wow, that looks impressive." because it truly does.

I just ask that you use some of the impressive imagination I'm sure you've got, to improve your rough draft, and turn it into something spectacular.

My personal tastes would suggest a central, circular atrium, two floors, and other wings of the library branching off from the centre. If you want to get fancy, maybe add some water, {a waterfall?} or even sculptures and such. But your the designer, so it's all up to you.

[P.S. Please don't take my criticism the wrong way.]
+Quote Post
jonajosa
post Jun 8 2005, 12:50 AM
Post #48

Unregistered

A very nice design Slith. I would vote for it. But remember that that design was made using the morrowind CS and as we both know( at least i do) that the morrowind Cs doesn't reall have much to offer when it comes to making anything look very... nice. Its all bland so far.
+Quote Post
stargate525
post Jun 8 2005, 04:35 AM
Post #49

Finder
Group Icon

[quote=Slith]I had a wonderful idea. What if we made the library both in a city, and in the wilderness. Let me explain.

The library has an entrance in the city, perhaps hidden in a house, or down an alley, or not hidden at all - whatever works. This entrance could allow you to reach the library fairly quickly, without going into the woods.

However, once you're in the library you'll find every other entrance leads out into the wilderness, save the one you just came from (from the city). Maybe it should even be made unclear whether the library truly is located in the city or out in the wilds.

What I'm suggesting essentially, is the city entrance gates you over to the actual library. (Though don't make this clear. We don't want the players to know for sure where the library is located.) And then all the other doors leading out of the library will go to the wilderness.

Well, that's my idea for it anyway.

{Edit} Bah. Reading further on in the thread it appears the location has been decided already. So much for my grande idea.

By the way Stargate, I truly mean no offense, but I really dislike your design for the front office and I hope the rest of the library doesn't look like that. It's too bland and cramped. There's no feeling of wonder at the design, and it reminds me of those alphabet blocks I used to play with as a child. Except less colorful.

I don't want to sit back and say it's good just because you took some time out to work on it. I'd rather say "Wow, that looks impressive." because it truly does.

I just ask that you use some of the impressive imagination I'm sure you've got, to improve your rough draft, and turn it into something spectacular.

My personal tastes would suggest a central, circular atrium, two floors, and other wings of the library branching off from the centre. If you want to get fancy, maybe add some water, {a waterfall?} or even sculptures and such. But your the designer, so it's all up to you.

[P.S. Please don't take my criticism the wrong way.][/quote][quote]A very nice design Slith. I would vote for it. But remember that that design was made using the morrowind CS and as we both know( at least i do) that the morrowind Cs doesn't reall have much to offer when it comes to making anything look very... nice. Its all bland so far.[/quote]

hmm. I really like that Idea, maybe make the library underground, then have a few auxillary entrances.... maybe.

ALso, about that design, it isn't the library, it's the office coverup, just supposed to be a generic print shop. I didn't bother to add anything since we wont be using it. Also, the blander the coverup area is, I am thinking that the Library will look even more impressive once you get into it. We were talking about gardens and balconys and all sorts of fun stuff. Eventually I think we may have to get some custom art in for it, but thats a bit too far down the road for right now.

--------------------
+Quote Post
vaanic~one
post Jun 8 2005, 03:13 PM
Post #50

Finder
Group Icon

I was going to suggest using Pandemonial Architecture, but hey, It probably will NOT be in the game. SO there is no point in suggesting it..smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

Oliver_lowe@hotmail.com
TESSource Staff
+Quote Post
Adanorcil
post Jun 8 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #51

Associate

I was wondering, is there a consensus already on where the library will be placed? (In the wilderness or in a city?) If I may vent my opinion here, I'm for the wilderness idea. I think it makes a lot more sense; because:

- It seems a bit dangerous to hide what could be the largest group of outlawed literature in the Empire right underneath a heavily guarded city.

- The chances of being discovered are a lot smaller.

- A lot of people disappearing in one alley or basement might rouse suspiscion in a large settlement. But who cares when an unsignificant traveller leaves town and goes into the wilderness? It happens all the time.

- Making huge open halls and rooms under the ground in cities would threaten structural integrity of the buildings above.

- Far from civilisation, scholars could easily attend their studies without being disturbed.

- In the wild, the library could be extended endlessly.

One final comment, instead of building "in the forest" has anyone thought of a more mountainous environment? It's a known fact that Oblivion will have plenty of mountains (to make up for the "natural borders"). Maybe we could have the library carved into a mountain? The space that can be carved out is limitless. Light could be provided by shafts going through the mountain side (and other light sources of course). And a bit of paint and some wood can do wonders for the interior, making it as cosy as any normal building.

And last, but not least, this environment has one great advantage: Provided the entrance is well hidden, there is virtually no way of getting in without help from the inside; you can't walk through stone. Even if the Empire would send a patrol to find the location of the library, they wouldn't find it and all of it precious content would be well protected.

Well, that's my two cents.

--------------------
"Many people drink from the Fountain of Wisdom, but some merely gargle." - Stephen Fry
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Jun 8 2005, 09:50 PM
Post #52

Wizard
Group Icon

@Adanorcil

I believe it's already been decided that it will be placed in a city yes smile.gif
+Quote Post
stargate525
post Jun 9 2005, 04:14 AM
Post #53

Finder
Group Icon

[quote=Alexander]@Adanorcil

I believe it's already been decided that it will be placed in a city yes smile.gif[/quote]
ja, der topic ist kaput. der bibliothek ist in der town.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Troika
post Jun 9 2005, 11:20 AM
Post #54

Agent

The library will be in a city.... which one yet, we don't know. It will be fronted by what appears to be a small book shop (or print shop), staffed by one or two NPCs. After fulfilling certain requirements, you are given access to the library, which is eccessed by a secret entrance.

The library will have most of its size underground, as a large cavern was discovered when Corryn was scouting around for locations and almost killed himself after the small courtyard behind the shop gave way (I know, it's a bit bat-cavey... but what the hell). So the shop was bought, the cavern built in and upon and the library created. Voila!

And if I hear anyone discuss why they think it should be in a forest again... *shakes fist menacingly*
+Quote Post
Troika
post Jun 9 2005, 11:47 AM
Post #55

Agent

I just had an epiphany that should clear up one minor discussion we were having, over whether or not Morrowind's books should be included in the library.

How about if the print shop used as a fake front for the library had them there, so it was a print shop/book shop?
+Quote Post
stargate525
post Jun 9 2005, 05:24 PM
Post #56

Finder
Group Icon

[quote=Troika]I just had an epiphany that should clear up one minor discussion we were having, over whether or not Morrowind's books should be included in the library.

How about if the print shop used as a fake front for the library had them there, so it was a print shop/book shop?[/quote]

so MW books are in. good.

It IS a print shop for certain then?

also, who were you thinking as being the staff? You and Corryn obviously, the Librarian and the apprentice. But the head editors or what?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Chumbaniya
post Jun 9 2005, 06:16 PM
Post #57

Finder
Group Icon

[quote=stargate525][quote=Alexander]@Adanorcil

I believe it's already been decided that it will be placed in a city yes smile.gif[/quote]
ja, der topic ist kaput. der bibliothek ist in der town.[/quote]

Stadt, Stargate, not town tongue.gif

--------------------
Chumbaniya Has Spoken!

"It's a party. It doesn't have to make sense" - Homer
"To alcohol - the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer
+Quote Post
Adanorcil
post Jun 9 2005, 07:33 PM
Post #58

Associate

[quote=Alexander]@Adanorcil

Thank you, that's good to know.

--------------------
"Many people drink from the Fountain of Wisdom, but some merely gargle." - Stephen Fry
+Quote Post
stargate525
post Jun 9 2005, 09:11 PM
Post #59

Finder
Group Icon

[quote=Chumbaniya][quote=stargate525][quote=Alexander]@Adanorcil

ja, der topic ist kaput. der bibliothek ist in der town.[/quote]

Stadt, Stargate, not town tongue.gif[/quote]
right,right, school's over and my german has been put away for the summer... is 'topic' correct though?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Jun 9 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #60

Wizard
Group Icon

[quote=Troika]I just had an epiphany that should clear up one minor discussion we were having, over whether or not Morrowind's books should be included in the library.

How about if the print shop used as a fake front for the library had them there, so it was a print shop/book shop?[/quote]

nice idea

was just pondering on something similar.

and I think it would be easy to get that in the mod, you'd only need to copy the text from the books either from the CS or from the imperial library.

one other thing to consider.

the size of the library, sure there are many projects being done, and many books written but when talking about a library like you've been talking about so far I really imagine it to be huge, a huge arched chamber filled to the brim with books. but given the quantity there would either be a very small arched chamber that looks filled to the brim, a very large and very empty chamber of books or a chamber filled to the brim with many duplicates.

I wonder what your thoughts are about that or if anyone has even ever considered this.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:21 PM