Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Total War Series, Shogun, Medieval, Rome, Empire, Napoleon, etc...
SubRosa
post Apr 27 2016, 01:25 AM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

Here is a topic for the Total War games by the Creative Assembly. I own Shogun 1, Medieval 1 & 2, and Rome 1. I never played much of Shogun 1. In fact when I first tried the demo for it many years ago when it first came out, I was go creamed by the AI. It wasn't until I tried Rome years later that I was able to get the knack of playing a TW game. I never liked Real Time Strategy games, because you can never control all of your units. But I found that by pausing constantly I was able to make it essentially a turn-based game. After that I got really good. Especially in RTW.

In fact, I created the Amazon Total War mod for RTW. When I finally got burned out on RTW and stopped updating it, other people even picked up the torch and went on with it. It was my first foray into modding games, and was very rewarding. I put Amazon Total War up on Dropbox for anyone who wants to try it out, since I don't think my old versions are still around on the web anymore. This version requires the Barbarian Invasion expansion, as it uses the BI executable to make use of new things added by it, like night battles.

Here is a map of all the regions in Rome Total War

A map of Barbarian Invasion

An Amazon Total War map

A Medieval 2 Total War map

Froggbeastegg has an excellent guide to Rome Total War and Barbarian Invasion here. There is even a link to a pdf version of it on the same page.

Froggbeastegg has another guide for MTW1

In any case, I bought Shogun 2 a few days ago. Which makes it the most recent TW game I own. So far I am liking it. Though some of the changes are taking a while to get used to. I miss having the population of every province clearly listed, and being able to change my tax rate for each individual province, and being able to replace my losses in one turn.

I can see why they got rid of a lot of these old things. By the mid-game of RTW you spend more time administering your empire than actually going around conquering. By the late game it takes forever to get through one turn because of the micro-managing required. Obviously the Creative Assembly worked on finding ways to streamline all the management overhead, which is a good thing in general.

One thing I really miss in Shogun 2 is a proper manual though. The other games all came with an in-depth manual that told you exactly what everything did, what every little symbol on the maps meant, and so forth. The manual for this game is really shallow, and doesn't explain any of the real nuts and bolts of the interface. Some things I have figured out on my own, some I had to do forum searches to find out. Playing the past TW games helps of course. But there are changes with every game, and Shogun 2 is several generations ahead of my last TW experience with M2TW.

On the plus side, the graphics are incredible compared to RTW or M2TW, and it runs flawless even on Ultra settings. It is really nice to finally be able to fight out my sea battles on the tactical map as well. I am having a lot of fun with the Japanese setting too. I stared a Shimazu campaign, but gave up after a day when I got over-extended. I started again two days ago, and have concentrated on my economy first, and conquering second. Now I am the sole ruler of Kyushu. The latter half of the conquest was really difficult because my main rivals - the Otomo - were Christian. That make keeping order in every province I took from them a struggle. I have been knocking down all the Christian buildings, and construction Buddhist temples in their places, recruiting monks, and even a secret policeman (metsuke) to keep a lid on things.

Right now I am taking a breather to rebuild my army's losses and getting my economy back on track after the rebuilding. I have a ninja out scouting my neighbors to see who I should strike next. There is a land bridge to Honshu which I could take next. That would put me into the lands of the Ouchi clan, and the Amako after them. However, my ninja discovered an army of the Chosokabe clan that crossed over from their island of Shikoku into Honshu and took one of the Ouchi's cities. So those two clans are now at war. I am thinking this might be an excellent time to invade Shikoku and go after the Chosokabe homeland, They will have to divide their attention between islands and myself and the Ouchi. The only problem is that the Chosokabe have a powerful fleet. But one of the provinces I took from the Otomo has a pirate lair, which gives a +3 to experience to all ships recruited there. So I think I will be building a pirate fleet...

I even got tempted to fire up Shogun 1 and try it again. But it won't run on my Windows 7 computer. sad.gif Still, I might try putting it on my old Windows XP box.

One of my Kobaya - the smallest ship in the Samurai arsenal

A medium Bune (which is technically a Seki-Bune) probably the workhorse of a Japanese fleet

A trading ship

My Seki Bune grapples a Wako (pirate) trading ship

Great plan! laugh.gif

Banzai!

My Katana Samurai (in green) battle Otomo clan Yari Ashigaru (peasant spearmen)

Slaughtering an Otomo general

Scaling the walls of a fortress

This post has been edited by SubRosa: May 30 2017, 12:35 AM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 27 2016, 03:06 AM
Post #2

Paladin
Group Icon

Cool pix!

I especially like the 'My Katana Samauri (in green)....' shot. The pitched battle in a field of wildflowers is so incongruously beautiful. The icing on the cake is the horse near the left side of the pic that is so wisely running away! tongue.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 29 2016, 05:23 PM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

I am still continuing with my Shimazu campaign. Before I could decide between attacking the Ouchi or Chosokabe, the decision was made for me. The Amako clan destroyed the Ouchi and then declared war on me. So I moved my army north from the Bungo Straits (run silent, run deep!) up to Bizu, and met the Amako army as they tried to invade my territory. I sent them packing, and invaded Honshu. The Amako have been building a lot of ships, because they spent about 10 turns coming at my trade routes with fleet after fleet. I was barely able to destroy them as they kept coming. However, one new feature I like about Shogun 2 is that you can capture enemy vessels. They join your own fleet afterward. Thanks to that I have doubled the size of my own fleet with ships I took from the Amako, and from the Wako (pirates).

Now I have the Amako on the ropes. My land army is slicing into their territory along the coast of the Japan Sea. In the meantime I have blockaded their ports, and haven't seen an Amako ship for several turns. My ninja show their cities along the Inland Sea to be very lightly garrisoned. Easy pickings if I can put together a second, small army to go down there. I don't want to divert my main army from the Japan Sea coast because another ninja glimpsed a large Amako army somewhere deeper in their territory along that coast. So I know there is a big fight still waiting for me there.

Perhaps even most ironic, the Chosokabe came to me with the offer of an alliance. They are at war with the Amako as well. The moment we joined forces, one of their fleets joined one of mine to destroy a force of Wako that were wreaking havoc with my trade fleets. Now there is a Chosokabe fleet in the Japan Sea, covering the flank of my main army there.

Some more observations on the changes in Shogun 2: One thing I like is there are no more city battles. There are still plenty of sieges, but instead of attacking cities, you are attacking purely military castles. That means none of the narrow streets that are such a pain the rear to maneuver 200+ man units through. I also like that Shogun 2 virtually removes the need to fill your cities with Peasants or other cheap troops to help maintain order. The core building of each castle is the fort, basically the same as the palace building in RTW. It has a Repression factor that maintains order throughout the province. The bigger the fort, the larger the bonus. Likewise, each fort automatically spawns a defensive force if your castle is attacked. Again, the larger the fort, the more troops are spawned, and the better they are. It removes a lot of the overhead involved in managing your empire.

When you lay siege to a castle, you don't have to wait while you build siege engines like rams, ladders, and siege towers before you can assault it. You can immediately attack. This is good an bad. As an attacker I like it, because I don't have to waste time. All of your infantry can scale walls without building ladders, and all of your infantry units can burn down gatehouses without any special equipment. So you can go right in. But as a defender I don't like it. In RTW defending was easy, because I always had a turn or two that I could wait for reinforcements from outside the city to arrive and help break the siege in a sally. Now enemy armies come out of nowhere and are climbing the walls without any time to shift troops around my empire to respond to them. Thankfully I still have those auto-spawned units thanks to the fort in each castle.

One thing I still find confusing is the lack of population figures or clearly defined city sizes like we had in the previous games. The level of your fort basically determines the size of your castle/settlement. Each time you level up your fort, it opens up a new building you can create in your castle. But it never says anywhere that you have a Minor City, or a Large City, or a Huge City, like in RTW. All you can do to gauge that is to look at how big your fort is. But I cannot remember which name is which size fort.

Another change I don't think I like is that you are limited in how many buildings you can construct in each province. Again, the size of your fort determines how many you can make. Where in RTW you could build everything, so long as you had the time and money. Thankfully each province's buildings are divided into castle and countryside. The size of your fort only determines how many buildings you can construct in your castle. In the countryside you have a standard set of things you always build in every province, like farms and roads, and those don't count toward your building limit. So it means that you have to specialize your cities concerning what sort of military facilities they are going to have. Some units require two different buildings to recruit them. For example Katana Cavalry require stables and a sword school. One city might be a sword producer, one for cavalry, one for Buddhist monks, etc...

Acadian: That was a smart horse! I would run away from all those blood-thristy head-hunters too

Shogun 2 is definitely the prettiest Total War game I have played so far. In the spring you see pink cherry blossom petals floating in the breeze, and even the pink cherry trees on the strategic map. It helps you get into the mind of a man who would write the following before going to his death:

“If only we might fall. Like cherry blossoms in the spring — So pure and radiant !”

Naval battle

This is a pretty place

Get ready to frighten those children

Storming the fortress

My No-Dachi swordsmen cut down the last of the defenders

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jan 3 2021, 10:55 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 29 2016, 06:06 PM
Post #4

Paladin
Group Icon

Thanks for sharing! I’m glad you’re enjoying Shogun 2. I have played a few what I would call real time or turn-based strategy games where you build up an economy so you can have a war machine so in the end there can be only one. While I have enjoyed them, I’ve gravitated to focusing on one protagonist instead of big armies and empires. As I said though, I’m so glad you’re having fun with this! smile.gif

Your pix are great and nicely showcase the game. Great action shots and you really show us the large scale involved on land or sea. I think the icing on the cake is the strong asian theme that is both captivating and exotic.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 2 2016, 09:21 PM
Post #5

Ancient
Group Icon

I am still continuing on with my Shimazu campaign. After crushing Clan Amako with the help of Clan Chosokabe, I spent a while building up my forces. Then in true Sengoku Jidai fashion I betrayed the Chosokabe and attacked them from all sides. I took half their provinces in one turn. devilsmile.gif

Turns out doing that wasn't good, because breaking an alliance gives you a big penalty in diplomatic relations with all the other clans. Worse, taking those territories put me close to my victory conditions. I discovered that automatically triggers an event called Realm Divide. The Ashikaga Shogunate - now fearful of your power - goes to war with you, and along with them every other clan. So in one turn I was at war with all of Japan.

The worst part was the impact it had on my finances. I nearly went bankrupt in a few turns, because I had gotten so used to the extra money I had been making on trade with the other clans. Now the only trade partners I have are with outsiders, like the Annamese, Chinese, and Nanban (Portugese). I had to disband a lot of my navy to keep my treasury from running out, and halted all new building projects.

Then came the storm of every other clan attacking me. First it was with fleets. There has been a constant avalanche of enemy fleets coming into my territory and blockading my ports or trade links to the outside world. Thankfully I have gotten pretty good at the naval battles, so I have been able to destroy them all as the come. I often can capture half or more of each enemy fleet. Though I cannot afford the upkeep on so many ships, so I scuttle the ones that are badly damaged.

Next came the armies invading me, and even worse enemy agents. I lost one border province to an invading army, and lost three more to rebellions caused by enemy agents. At the same time enemy ninja have been damaging buildings in all my eastern provinces, and wounded my best general (who was magically whisked away to my capital province, until he healed and was finally made available to me, on the other side of the map!).

But I put all the rebellions down, and retook the lost territories. From my eastern-most province Harima I even made a punitive invasion of the Hojo lands. They had previously sent two armies from Osaka to attack my castle in Harima, and I crushed them both. Afterward I advanced on Osaka, took it, and looted it. Then I destroyed all the buildings, and marched back to Harima. With no troops there, the province rebelled from me and a whole big army of rebels spawned there. Now if the Hojo want to take another crack at me, they will have to go through those rebels first. That is an old trick I learned in RTW to create a buffer state.

There was one down-side. Looting the city caused unrest in all of my cities, as it caused a loss of honor for my daimyo. I had no idea that would happen, so won't be doing it again. I should have just peacefully occupied it, destroyed all the buildings, then abandoned it. Oh well.

Which brings me to another of the differences between Shogun 2 and the previous Total War games I have played. In RTW you had three options when you took a city: Occupy, Enslave, or Sack. Occupying causes no damage and nets you a very tiny amount of loot. Enslaving cuts the city's population in half, as they are sold into slavery (which in turn creates a new trade resource in the province of slaves). Finally Sacking kills about 90% of the population and nets you a ton of money. In RTW it is really good for big cities that are otherwise hard to control. It brings that population down to something you can manage.

But in Shogun 2 you have two options: Occupy and Loot. Occupy is the same as in RTW. Loot gets you more money when you take the province, but you get that hit to your Daimyo's honor, which causes a -1 unrest in all of your other provinces. Which in my opinion is not worth the one time boost of a few thousand koku.

Back to my campaign, I crossed the inland sea to the island of Shikoku, and have destroyed the Chosokabe clan. Now I am on my way to destroying the Miyoshi clan, which rules the last 3 provinces on that island. After that, I think I will be ready to make my final push for Kyoto, and the Shogunate.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: May 4 2016, 07:37 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 3 2016, 03:38 AM
Post #6

Paladin
Group Icon

Empress SubRosa. In the end there can be only one. wink.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 3 2016, 08:25 PM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

Last night I continued on with the conquest of Shikoku. My army holding Harima boarded ships to help out, sailed over, and took one city. Then I saw an army of the Satomi clan come into view near Harima, which I left totally undefended (it is next to the province that I let rebel, whose rebel army I am hoping will keep out invaders for a while. Well that while was up. I loaded the army back up on boats and got back to Harima just in time to beat off an attack. Advancing to the border, I found that Clan Satomi has taken that rebel province.

Back on Shikoku, my other army there advanced upon the last stronghold of the Miyoshi clan. Only to find it filled to the brim with a much larger army. So I retreated to a nearby bridge. The Miyoshi obliged me by coming out from their fortress and attacking me on the bridge. That gave me my first Shogun 2 bridge battle. It was a little harder than the ones in RTW, but only a little. Which is to say I utterly slaughtered the Miyoshi. Taking their final city was a pushover after that. Now Shikoku is mine as well.

I took a look at my victory conditions, and I have taken 26 provinces, when I only need 25. But one of those has to be Kyoto. So it is time for my final push. I intend to just bypass the Satomi in Osaka and go straight to Kyoto. My guess is that once I take it, they and everyone else will come after me there. I gather will have to hold it for four turns.

Just to make things more exciting, an enemy fleet turned up way back in Kyushu, and landed an enemy army! I forget whose clan they are. So now I am scrambling to raise an army of ashigaru that deep in my rear (I am going with them because they are cheap and only need 1 turn to recruit each unit). In the meantime I have loaded up my army from Shikoku onto boats, and am ready to ferry them back to Kyushu. But it will be several turns before they can get there.

Gimmie The Prize!

A nice country house

My army in Shikoku was attacked at a bridge

Up close...

...and personal

Crossing downstream

This post has been edited by SubRosa: May 4 2016, 07:36 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post May 4 2016, 08:59 AM
Post #8

Mouth
Group Icon

That bridge battle looks pretty intense!

Shogun 2 looks and sounds fantastic. Not sure my laptop could run it, but I might try it some time.

I was playing a bit of Shogun 1 the other day. Had lots of fun training Geishas and sending them to assassinate everyone in Japan. Geishas of course can't fail their missions, and keep trying every turn until the target is dead.

All my Daimyo and his army had to do was follow the trail of bodies the Geishas left behind and mop up any resistance. I defeated all other Daimyos quite early on, and apart from a brief appearance of one of their long lost sons I spent most of the campaign fighting bandits.

I've never played any other TW games, but it's always something I've been interested in.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 4 2016, 01:04 PM
Post #9

Paladin
Group Icon

Wow, great actions shots! Curious that the larger castle force would sortie out to fight on a bridge - but to your advantage clearly.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 4 2016, 07:58 PM
Post #10

Ancient
Group Icon

I was able to beat off the first sea borne assault upon my territory with nothing but a general and two auto-generated castle units belonging to the castle I was defending. The next turn I brought in more quickly raised troops from all around to exterminate what was left of the invaders. But that was only the first invasion. A few turns later the Takeda clan came ashore in another part of the realm. But once more my scratch forces were able to drive them off and later destroy them.

In the east I found I could not bypass Osaka. Unlike the previous games, cities and armies all have a zone of control around them, and moving into that zone stops your movement, leaving your only options to attack them, or give up the rest of your movement. So I stormed Osaka. Sadly the losses took a few turns to recover from. That left it too late in the year to go on to Kyoto.

One difference between Shogun 2 and the other TW games I have played is that it has four turns per game year. At least the official games. I did play some RTW mods that had 4 turns per year. Basically each turn is a one season. Winter is a bad season to campaign in, as any troops in enemy held territory take losses from attrition. So that encourages you to plan your invasions around the seasons.

So I had to wait in Osaka until the year ended and next spring rolled around. That gave my many enemies more opportunities to come at me. In the form of that second amphibious invasion I mentioned above, and more attacks on my land forces along the western coast of Honshu. Not to mention the never-ending waterfall of enemy fleets attacking my trade routes and ports. Nagasaki gets blockaded every single turn, even though I sink the attacking fleets every time.

Now I think I am finally ready to go for Kyoto.

hazmick: I love RTW 1. Of all the TW games I have played, it is definitely my favorite, thanks to the rules, the settings, and the ease of modding it (everything is in text files).

I have not been able to recruit any Geisha in Shogun 2 yet. I am not sure what you need, but I do know they are a really high tier agent. I understand that their starting assassination skill is the same as the maximum a ninja can build theirs up to. And they only get better from there! I would love to send one on a killing spree throughout Japan.

Acadian: The AI is not always the brightest in these games. Well, in any game. That said, this is the most challenging and difficult TW game I have ever played. The AI can crush you in this game if you are not careful, and don't plan your decisions out in advance.

The 300 Samurai have seen off the first amphibious invasion of Shimazu territory

The next turn reinforcements took care of the remnants of the invaders

in the east, my armies are poised to drive upon Kyoto

My ninja is busy murdering the Shogun's family

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 4 2016, 09:33 PM
Post #11

Paladin
Group Icon

Looks like General SubRosa is relentlessly sweeping across all of Japan! The game looks pretty fun - and challenging!

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 4 2016, 10:08 PM
Post #12

Ancient
Group Icon

Acadian: Bring out the brooms, Japan has been swept!

I march on Kyoto in the winter. This vintner stands in the way.

The Ashikaga Shogunate's army meets mine

The lines come together

Facing the enemy general

My samurai sweep their flanks

Now the way to Kyoto is open. It still has a substantial garrison however (all the bars on the flag over it)

Assaulting Kyoto's castle

The city is mine!

Four turns later, I am proclaimed Shogun by the Emperor!

Triumphant

A legacy...

... that lasts the ages

That finishes my Shimazu campaign. I don't think I am going to start another one just yet. It was becoming a grind toward the end. I think the Realm Divide was a big cause of that, with its endless tidal wave of enemy naval and land attacks. I am going to look for mods that disable it, or at least reduce its effects, before I try another campaign.

OTOH, they did remove a lot of the overhead and minutia of city management to make the campaign go smoother. That was really nice. Shogun 2 is also the most difficult and challenging Total War game I have ever played. Even on Normal setting, it was hard! Granted, some of that was because it was my first time figuring everything out. But I can see the game is just plain more difficult than the other ones.

One thing I noticed quickly is that Generals are no longer superheros like they are in RTW. I have mixed feelings about that. I love my General units in RTW. They are the best cavalry you have in the early game, and even in the late game are among the toughest units on the battlefield. I tended to lean on them a lot to win my battles.

But in Shogun 2, you do not want to throw your Generals into the meatgrinder unless you have a lot of strong units with them. Instead you have to hold them back out of the fighting and just concentrate on using their Inspire and Rally powers. That makes the game a lot more challenging.

Likewise, I found that cavalry was less potent in Shogun 2 than the other games as well. One reason is that the cavalry units are smaller in size. A Light Cavalry unit is 60 men, and a Heavy 80 men. While the Samurai infantry are 160 men a unit, and Ashigaru 200. Back in RTW the infantry were the same sizes, but all cavalry were 108 strong. So they were a lot more durable than they are in Shogun.

I found that the No-Dachi Samurai help make up for the weaker cavalry. At first I was very unimpressed with them. They have these giant two-handed swords, but do the exact same damage as the standard Katana Samurai. Worse, they have lower defense and armor. What they do have is a massive charge bonus, and once you research Banzai they get a bonus to their speed and other stats. So I would make my front line of either Katana Samurai and/or Naginata Samurai, and held my No-Dachi's back in my second or third line reserves. Once the lines meet and get 'stuck in', I bring the No-Dachi's forward and flank the enemy line. Then I hit banzai and charge in. If the enemy has reserves the No-Dachi shred them. Otherwise they roll up the enemy line and shatter it.

The downside is that they are still infantry, and so still slower than horses. This matters when it comes to chasing down routing enemy troops. The No-Dachi might catch a few that are running away. But most escape. There is no replacement for real cavalry when it comes to pursuit.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: May 5 2016, 02:40 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post May 5 2016, 02:36 AM
Post #13

Mouth
Group Icon

'Shogun SubRosa' has a nice ring to it biggrin.gif

That assault on Kyoto looked pretty fun, and now your troops can keep warm in winter thanks to the smouldering ruins of the city's defenses tongue.gif

Naval battles sound like a bit of a chore. I think I prefer land-based shogun shenanigans.

Interesting points about the No-Dachi too. I'd also have assumed that anyone wielding such large weapons would be quite fearsome in combat, even compared to 'regular' Samurai, but it seems odd to have them as a more 'speedy' unit.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 5 2016, 04:29 PM
Post #14

Paladin
Group Icon

Congratulations to Shogun SubRosa! Thanks for sharing your campaign with us along with your observations of Shogun II.

I remain impressed with the scale of the game and its setting.

'Facing the enemy general' is a fabulous shot. Not only does it have wub.gif horses and some up close action but, as you've done before with flowers, here it is the beautiful sun that provides the incongruity.

Last through the ages?!? By Azura, it looks like SubRosa City is still faring well after five centuries!

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
hazmick
post May 17 2017, 01:21 PM
Post #15

Mouth
Group Icon

I posted about the start of a new Total War: Attila campaign in the misc. games thread before I recalled that this thread existed.

I started a campaign as the Western Roman Empire, which is the toughest faction to play as since they start with the deck stacked quite high against them. They have a huge amount of land, but very few armies to protect it. On top of that they have massive food shortages, widespread civil unrest, and very few allies.

I didn't even consider trying to hold most of the territories, and retreated from all provinces except Italia, Magna Graecia, Venetia, Liguria and Britannia Superior with a scorched earth policy that gave me a pretty good buffer against the barbarian hordes keen on sacking Rome. I then broke off ties with the Eastern Roman Empire, since that alliance wasn't beneficial (I'm still trading with them, but that's as friendly as I'd like to get). I removed all religious buildings from my lands and replaced them with farms, and split the remaining city buildings between defence and sanitation.

The lands I abandoned around Carthage and the Sahara were quickly claimed by the Garamantians, while Britannia Inferior was claimed by the Ebdanians, who were quick to form an alliance with me against the Picts that were pressing from the north. The rest of my land is slowly being claimed by various factions, with Gaul rising as the main power. EDIT: As of last night, the Gauls have been completely obliterated by the combined might of various barbarians.

I had a brief scare when two hordes of Ostrogoths arrived on my doorstep, but they were convinced to move on after several impressive displays of Roman defense. The Visigoths also payed us a visit, and were swiftly destroyed by my first and third legions. Currently the only faction that refuses peace is the Geats to the far north, but they're not much of a threat at the moment.

My current plan is either to push north and form a corridor to Britannia, or to reclaim Carthage to the south and take the African coast. The Britannia plan is risky but rewarding, while the Africa plan is easier but may lead to strained relations with the Eastern Romans who also want that area. I also need to send some agents out into the world and see what's going on elsewhere, and to see where the Huns are hiding.

I have a mod that makes Attila's huns a lot weaker, since in the base game they are ridiculously strong (I know that's the point, but it makes every campaign a waiting game to see when the huns arrive). The White Huns faction isn't affected though, so they could be a problem in the future.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 17 2017, 04:42 PM
Post #16

Ancient
Group Icon

Man this game series sounds awesome! Reading about your Atilla adventure has really piqued Khajiit's interest and reading SubRosa's Shogun conquest stoked it more! Being that Khajiit has never played the series before, would you folks recommend starting with Rome: Total War (can get it now for just $10) or just diving into any of the titles? Looks Atilla is the newest title?

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: May 17 2017, 04:44 PM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
hazmick
post May 17 2017, 06:35 PM
Post #17

Mouth
Group Icon

Honestly just go with whichever title you like the sound of, they're all much the same (Just different settings, obviously).

Total War: Warhammer is the most recent TW game, but Attila is the most recent historical title. This obviously means that Attila is more advanced than some of the older games, but that's not to say the old stuff isn't a lot of fun.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 17 2017, 06:52 PM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ May 17 2017, 12:35 PM) *

Honestly just go with whichever title you like the sound of, they're all much the same (Just different settings, obviously).

Total War: Warhammer is the most recent TW game, but Attila is the most recent historical title. This obviously means that Attila is more advanced than some of the older games, but that's not to say the old stuff isn't a lot of fun.

Heh, Khajiit went ahead with R:TW because he liked the sound of $10! laugh.gif

Was doing the tutorial in Italy and found it a lot of fun. Still learning the ropes though. Went to take a town called Bovanium (or something like that), and discovered that this one missed how you consolidate armies into one force because we took like 10 separate armies and only a few of them were in the battle and even then they were scattered all over the battlefield. We promptly quit that game and will start over tonight after work.

Ooh, also Gaul offered us a ceasefire and we were able to extort 1000 denarii from them for the deal! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: May 17 2017, 06:55 PM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post May 17 2017, 08:49 PM
Post #19

Councilor
Group Icon

I gotta agree, these games do sound interesting. I think I might have to pick one of the old ones up sooner or later...

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 17 2017, 09:44 PM
Post #20

Ancient
Group Icon

RTW 1 is a fantastic game! I still play it even after all these years. It is also very easy to mod. It is where I began modding games in fact.

I heard bad things about RTW 2, so I never tried it. The time frames of Empire and Napoleon TW just don't do much for me, so I never bothered with them. Shogun 2 was good. It is the most recent TW game I have played.

So how is Atilla hazmick? I have kind of hemmed and hawed over it. I already have RTW 1 with Barbarian Invasion, and it just seems like a rehash of BI. I am not really sure it is worth buying a new game when I could just play BI instead. Are there enough improvements in the gameplay and new things to make it worth the while?

Is all the religious stuff still a part of Atilla? It always annoyed me, as having to assimilate populations slowed down my conquesting.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: May 17 2017, 09:45 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

19 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:05 AM