> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
mALX
post Aug 27 2015, 11:28 PM
Post #2221

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 26 2015, 08:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Grits @ Aug 24 2015, 05:14 PM) *

Oh, I loved Candyman! When he says “Your pain will be exquisite” and then invites her to come with him and be immortal… *shiver*

I love those old 80s and 90s horror films. Tony Todd was awesome in Candyman, it put him on the map, and I just swoon over Virginia Madsen.

QUOTE(mALX @ Aug 24 2015, 05:15 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 24 2015, 04:13 PM) *

Last night I watched Candyman again. It is still a very cool movie. I loved how at the end, Helen became an urban legend, right down to saying her name five times in the mirror...

That sounds downright freaky! Now seeing THAT as a last scene in a movie would send a chill down my spine, especially in the dark! (and make it hard to sleep that night! ) You are fearless, SubRosa !!!

Not that fearless. I won't say "Candyman," five times when looking in the mirror! ohmy.gif

I won't say "Beetlejuice" three times, and that was a comedy, rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Aug 28 2015, 08:31 PM
Post #2222

Councilor
Group Icon

I just watched a classic christmas film.

Die Hard biggrin.gif

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 28 2015, 09:07 PM
Post #2223

Ancient
Group Icon

Funny you mention Die Hard, because I was just thinking of pulling it out and watching it again.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 28 2015, 09:21 PM
Post #2224

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 28 2015, 04:07 PM) *

Funny you mention Die Hard, because I was just thinking of pulling it out and watching it again.

I love Die Hard, (plus the sequels too - but the first is my favorite).

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 29 2015, 08:05 PM
Post #2225

Ancient
Group Icon

Thanks to Candyman, I just watched Final Destination (Tony Todd has cameo in it). Even after all this time, that was still a fun movie. I love how the chains of little events leads to the character's deaths.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Aug 29 2015, 08:37 PM
Post #2226

Councilor
Group Icon

Not usually my kind of film, but I rather liked Final Destination. The second one wasn't bad either. Couldn't watch the third though. They got a little too carried away with things for my taste.

And I'm currently watching Gone in 60 Seconds. Because I've got a soft spot for that film.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 29 2015, 08:56 PM
Post #2227

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Aug 29 2015, 03:37 PM) *

Not usually my kind of film, but I rather liked Final Destination. The second one wasn't bad either. Couldn't watch the third though. They got a little too carried away with things for my taste.

And I'm currently watching Gone in 60 Seconds. Because I've got a soft spot for that film.

I did enjoy both of those films too, (surprisingly for me, because I never watch scary films) - but it made sense why they were being killed, it wasn't just random - so it was just a matter of how each was done that was gross and the feeling of impending doom - don't like either of those things in a movie, but in these it was done well enough that I didn't mind it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Aug 31 2015, 07:21 PM
Post #2228

Councilor
Group Icon

Since I watched Die Hard the other day I figured I might as well work my way through all four of them, so I'm Now Watching Die Hard 2.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 2 2015, 12:56 AM
Post #2229

Master
Group Icon

Well, I just finished watching "Come Drink With Me," on Netflix. It's a Chinese movie from 1966. It stars Pei-Pei Cheng (a real cutie in those days!) and Hua Yueh. Not quite what I expected. The Chinese Theater influence is very strong in this movie, in spite of the red paint (for blood, thrown from off screen), the melodramatic flourishes, and the too-cool-for-words bandit gang's significant looks. It really shows in the choreography of the fight scenes, which really play on the acrobatic skills of all parties involved. I doubt there was a single actor in those scenes that didn't cut his teeth on the circus acts. Pretty impressive, really, when you look at it that way.

Ultimately, though it was not what I expected, I rather enjoyed it. If you've got ninety minutes to kill and don't mind English subtitles (or know Chinese), go ahead and watch it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 2 2015, 08:24 PM
Post #2230

Ancient
Group Icon

I started watching Claymore again. I have not seen it in years, and it is such a delight to see again. I must have been channeling this series when I created Persephone, because the similarities between her and Claymore's protagonist Clare are just startling. They are both pale women who are half-human, half-monster, wearing white and grey, wielding greatswords. Just like Clare, Persephone can be cold and ruthless, and yet she is also capable to great compassion.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 2 2015, 08:38 PM
Post #2231

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 2 2015, 03:24 PM) *

I started watching Claymore again. I have not seen it in years, and it is such a delight to see again. I must have been channeling this series when I created Persephone, because the similarities between her and Claymore's protagonist Clare are just startling. They are both pale women who are half-human, half-monster, wearing white and grey, wielding greatswords. Just like Clare, Persephone can be cold and ruthless, and yet she is also capable to great compassion.

Oh how interesting this sounds!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 6 2015, 02:01 AM
Post #2232

Ancient
Group Icon

I just watched Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. It was a neat, weird movie. I loved all the video game stuff in it. Plus, Mary Elizabeth Winstead. wub.gif Let me say that again, Mary Elizabeth Winstead. wub.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 6 2015, 04:05 AM
Post #2233

Master
Group Icon

If you like police dramas, undercover cop stories, good guy/bad guy chess strategy outwit the other guy kind of stories (as I do), I can't begin to recommend Infernal Affairs enough. Andy Lau and Tony Leung, both actors I've liked in the past, play cops and cops in this movie. One (Lau) got kicked out of the Police Academy as part of his cover to go underground and get close to a crime boss who has moles in the police department. The other (Leung) is the boss's top mole, and is passing information on to the boss. Both are tasked - Lau by the crime boss, Leung by the top cop hunting the crime boss, to find the mole within each's organization.

The movie starts off fairly predictable, with Lau wanting out after nearly nine years of deep cover, and Leung finally finding career advancement and recognition for his hard work. But then there are plot twists, and what I call character switches, until you don't know who's the good guy and who's the bad guy. In the end nothing is as clear cut as it seems, and it leaves you scratching your head trying to figure out if the one guy is really good or really bad or just looking out for himself.

I really enjoyed this movie from start to finish, and the guessing games were the best part.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rohirrim
post Sep 6 2015, 04:12 AM
Post #2234

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 5 2015, 09:01 PM) *

I just watched Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. It was a neat, weird movie. I loved all the video game stuff in it. Plus, Mary Elizabeth Winstead. wub.gif Let me say that again, Mary Elizabeth Winstead. wub.gif

God, I love that movie.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 6 2015, 07:02 AM
Post #2235

Ancient
Group Icon

That sounded like a really fun vid, I've been wanting to see it too.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Sep 6 2015, 09:55 AM
Post #2236

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Rohirrim @ Sep 6 2015, 04:12 AM) *

God, I love that movie.

Same here. It's awesome.

And, as Subrosa said;

Mary Elizabeth Winstead. wub.gif Let me say that again, Mary Elizabeth Winstead. wub.gif

This post has been edited by Callidus Thorn: Sep 6 2015, 10:00 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 7 2015, 05:26 AM
Post #2237

Ancient
Group Icon

Just watched the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It was a lot of fun! I really liked Megan Fox in it. And Splinter's voice was done by Tony Shaloub. I kept expecting him to start solving mysteries, and be phobic about everything...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 9 2015, 10:01 PM
Post #2238

Master
Group Icon

I recently watched Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, which I own on the ancient LaserDisc format. It looks surprisingly good on my 47" flatscreen modern TV, and is a longtime top-tier favorite. Just this past Monday I ordered the combined seasons 1 & 2 of HBO's Game of Thrones on DVD thanks to a one-day Amazon sale. At $32US for the set I couldn't resist, despite not being a huge fan of fantasy literature on film. Otherwise I spend a great deal of time at YouTube watching a wide variety of videos, and try not to miss TYT nightly news stream.

This post has been edited by decrepit: Sep 10 2015, 12:43 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 9 2015, 11:17 PM
Post #2239

Ancient
Group Icon

I loved Kurosawa's Seven Samurai! It was long, but a masterpiece. I even wrote a fan fic inspired by it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Sep 10 2015, 02:31 PM
Post #2240

Councilor
Group Icon

I actually watched that film not too long ago. It was a good film, but I thought it was longer than it needed to be. There were quite a few parts, just little bits scattered throughout, that seemed to pad scenes out rather than adding to them. Made it feel like the film had a target length at times.

Apart from that, it was a damn good film.

This post has been edited by Callidus Thorn: Sep 10 2015, 02:32 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

202 Pages V « < 110 111 112 113 114 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:52 AM