Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Autumn's Tale, My attempt to put to "paper" the story of my FO4 character
ArtemisNoir
post Mar 12 2023, 04:22 AM
Post #1

Evoker

OK...*deep breath* here goes.
I've thought about actually writing down this story for several years, but, for one reason, or another, I've never quite managed beyond a sentence or two. Right now, my life is topsy turvy, but, ironically enough, it's also a good time to begin. Both encouraged by, and inspired by, Renee and Treydog, I've mustered the courage to finally post. Some notes first, though:

* Anyone familiar with the game will observe I'm using mods. I don't go overboard, or anything, but there are changes.
* This fiction is based on the main events of the game, but, sometimes, there will be differences in the details.
* I have tried to strike a balance between enough exposition so that anyone who doesn't know the game won't feel lost, while those that do won't be overly bored. I'm not sure how well I'm succeeding, but it's something that will evolve as it progresses.
* I'm hoping to post an installment once per week, each entry consisting of somewhere between 600 and 900 words. So... not huge chapters, but they're manageable. Right now, I'm not having any trouble getting out the words, so perhaps I'll eventually increase the schedule. As I wrote though, I'm also distracted by RL, so I'll see how it goes.

~ ~ ~

Entry 1: Awoken

IPB Image

Her first sensation was one of light. Searing and brilliant, it was nearly an assault after her struggle through Vault 111’s dimly lit passageways. Long moments passed, and then, perhaps jolted by realisation, as well as the view before her, Autumn gasped, reeling.

The Vault had been constructed on a small hill, and from her relative vantage point, she took in the wreckage of her home, and the small suburban neighbourhood in which she….no… they… had lived. The urge to scream and flail wildly almost overwhelmed her; somehow, maybe it was instinct, she repressed it.

Trying to steady her breathing, Autumn attempted some level of coherent thought. Time blurred, only the sun’s high position in that blazing, cerulean sky told her that no more than a few minutes had elapsed. Grappling with the stark certainty of her circumstances, and for want of a more obvious plan, Autumn slowly began to make her way down the hill, noting, despite herself, the dappled display of sunlight that glittered through the verdant canopy overhead. This, though, made her pause. The trees surrounding her towered high, their trunks gnarled and witness to countless seasons. Although she remained on the edge of hysterical panic, walking had calmed her somewhat, and it was impossible to ignore the onslaught of her thoughts.

“Those trees were hardly more than saplings..... how much time has passed?” she muttered. Her only answer was a strident caw somewhere deep within the leafy branches. “A crow?” she queried. Autumn shook her head, recalling the giant cockroaches that had impeded her progress through the vault. She, no doubt, needed to worry about whatever wildlife existed in this surreal new reality, but crows represented the least of her concerns. Another thing of note was that the path she followed, familiar, yet not, appeared oddly clear of debris, and an obvious attempt had been made to prune the bushes that sprawled alongside it. Autumn found herself unsure whether these observations provided comfort or unease.

A few steps further brought her to a small wooden bridge that traversed a glittering stream.
Miraculously, both were much as she remembered. Memories…. Autumn closed her eyes, flicking them open again as a surge of nausea threatened. Shaking, she lowered herself to the bridge, sitting down, her legs dangling just above the burbling water. Had she not seen her husband shot at point-blank range as he attempted to protect Shaun, their infant son, from kidnappers, mere hours before, and were it not for the grimy pastel-coloured rubble she could glimpse through the trees, it would have been almost idyllic.

IPB Image

Aware that she could not rest for long, Autumn attempted to stand. She swayed, light-headed; a sudden growling made her tense, but at a second wave of nausea she realised that it was her stomach, and she remembered her last meal, a bowl of Sugar Bombs and the coffee that had been prepared by Codsworth, their ever buoyant Mr. Handy Robot. The day had seemed normal, even finally opening the door to that persistent Vault-Tec salesman and securing their spots in the nearby underground facility, did little to indicate the turn their lives were about to take. After that, her recollections became a tumble… cuddling Shaun, discussing their plans for the day, then, Codsworth urgently calling them to the TV. They arrived in time to hear the anchorman announcing that bombs, nuclear bombs, had dropped. Panic. Horror. Disbelief. Their rush to the vault. Fragmented images flashed through her head. Autumn lurched, and vomited the contents of her stomach. Sugar Bombs did not taste sweet the second time around.

All too mindful, after voiding her stomach, that her body was now bereft of anything that might be considered food, Autumn willed herself to push forward. Up close, the jumbled, torn rubble, the homes her neighbours had lived in, and strewn human skeletons told the harrowing story of those who had not been on Vault-Tec’s list.

For possibly the first time, Autumn’s sentiments towards Sanctuary, the suburban community in which they’d lived, were without conflict, though she did reflect that its developers had likely never intended for the name to be ironic.

Walking up the gently winding road toward her old home felt strange; Autumn remembered all those times she’d ardently wished the place could be transformed into something different; she also remembered the never-ending fights with Nate as she argued that her apartment in Cambridge was a preferable location. Now, stumbling over rubble, fallen trees and the bones of her neighbours, she experienced a bleak, deep stab of remorse. A wave of memory engulfed her, and the impossible brightness of the day faded into black as Autumn teetered to the broken ground.

IPB Image

This post has been edited by ArtemisNoir: Apr 21 2023, 07:38 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
ArtemisNoir   Autumn's Tale   Mar 12 2023, 04:22 AM
Renee   Yes, I can imagine how confusing that must be, as ...   Mar 12 2023, 05:39 AM
treydog   Welcome to the Fiction Forum! This is a promi...   Mar 12 2023, 12:20 PM
Acadian   Let me add my welcome to the fan fiction forum...   Mar 12 2023, 08:58 PM
SubRosa   Congrats on starting the fic tale! Keep it com...   Mar 13 2023, 06:42 AM
ArtemisNoir   Thank you everyone, for the welcome and lovely wor...   Mar 13 2023, 08:34 AM
Renee   Would you like me to note when something is not ...   Mar 13 2023, 02:27 PM
Lena Wolf   I think you don't need to worry when something...   Mar 13 2023, 09:49 AM
treydog   I think you don't need to worry when somethin...   Mar 13 2023, 11:02 AM
macole   An emotional feeling to a good start. :goodjob: ...   Mar 13 2023, 04:34 PM
ArtemisNoir   Awesome, I was hoping that would be the response. ...   Mar 13 2023, 05:19 PM
ArtemisNoir   When I sat down to write last night, I had one of ...   Mar 15 2023, 12:23 AM
Renee   Oh no, you don't want to turn that piece on yo...   Mar 15 2023, 02:33 AM
ArtemisNoir   Oh no, you don't want to turn that piece on y...   Mar 15 2023, 02:48 AM
Acadian   What a fine job bringing Autums's rescuer and ...   Mar 15 2023, 05:40 PM
Burnt Sierra   Been a while since I played FO4, nice to see the o...   Mar 15 2023, 10:16 PM
treydog   What a joy it is when you are "in the flow...   Mar 16 2023, 12:13 AM
SubRosa   I always wondered why the Mr. Handys did not set e...   Mar 17 2023, 01:56 AM
ArtemisNoir   @Acadian, Thanks! Codsworth is indeed a wonder...   Mar 18 2023, 04:54 PM
SubRosa   So Autumn is catching up on the time that she spen...   Mar 18 2023, 09:48 PM
Acadian   I'm quite enjoying seeing this post apocalypti...   Mar 19 2023, 11:35 PM
treydog   You show quite well the psychic disconnect Autumn ...   Mar 20 2023, 01:27 AM
ArtemisNoir   Thank you all, for reading. :) Things are about to...   Mar 25 2023, 07:18 PM
Renee   Sweet, she's got a dog! C'mere boy...   Mar 25 2023, 07:49 PM
Acadian   Another companion – and one with senses that qui...   Mar 26 2023, 11:24 PM
treydog   Hooray for canines! (Friendly ones, at least)...   Mar 27 2023, 12:31 AM
SubRosa   I liked how you painted the introduction of Dogmea...   Mar 27 2023, 01:09 AM
ArtemisNoir   Wow... thanks all. Inspired by some of the awesom...   Mar 27 2023, 04:44 AM
ArtemisNoir   Entry 5: Portent and Power Preston Garvey, the ma...   Mar 29 2023, 06:44 PM
Acadian   Lots of info on this new group of Minutemen that A...   Mar 29 2023, 09:14 PM
Renee   I find it so hilarious that the Minutemen are repr...   Mar 30 2023, 04:13 PM
macole   A popular theme in Bethesda games, eh? "If...   Mar 30 2023, 04:40 PM
treydog   Excellent character-building AND moving the story ...   Mar 31 2023, 12:33 AM
SubRosa   This was a nice, richly evocative introduction to ...   Apr 1 2023, 12:31 AM
ArtemisNoir   @Acadian, the explanation regarding Dogmeat is act...   Apr 1 2023, 11:51 PM
treydog   "Technology will save us!" To which...   Apr 2 2023, 08:06 PM
Acadian   Like Autumn, I was glad (for her) that the claustr...   Apr 2 2023, 08:41 PM
SubRosa   I do love how the 200 year old suit of power armor...   Apr 2 2023, 09:51 PM
ArtemisNoir   Sorry for the late update! Real life and some ...   Apr 16 2023, 05:04 AM
Renee   Artemis, that deathclaw looks truly frightening. O...   Apr 16 2023, 02:01 PM
SubRosa   And Gristle meets a well-earned end... I hope the...   Apr 16 2023, 10:07 PM
Acadian   I see what you mean about Autumn's compassion....   Apr 17 2023, 12:09 AM
minque   Need to dig into Fanfiction again! lots and lo...   Apr 17 2023, 11:06 PM
Renee   Hmm what if I maybe...continue something Well yes...   Apr 19 2023, 12:37 AM
treydog   Excellent pictures once again- providing perfect a...   Apr 18 2023, 12:51 AM
ArtemisNoir   @Renee, lol! Yeah.... I am using texture repla...   Apr 20 2023, 02:11 AM
Acadian   Thankfully, a safe trip to what will hopefully be ...   Apr 20 2023, 08:16 PM
SubRosa   I liked how Preston rather perceptively pointed ou...   Apr 20 2023, 11:47 PM
Renee   You have your game set in VERY HARD difficulty????...   Apr 21 2023, 02:58 AM
treydog   Showing my age with "crossing the streams...   Apr 22 2023, 12:38 PM
ArtemisNoir   @Acadian, It's actually odd... For a long time...   Apr 22 2023, 08:46 PM
SubRosa   There is no keeping down the Pride of General Atom...   Apr 23 2023, 12:33 AM
Acadian   A lovely interlude that continues to develop Autum...   Apr 23 2023, 11:52 PM
treydog   A much-needed and poignant moment of domesticity, ...   Apr 29 2023, 09:35 PM
ArtemisNoir   @SubRosa, Heh! In many ways, I think Codsworth...   May 1 2023, 06:06 PM
Acadian   SGM is a compliment meaning ‘So good – more...   May 1 2023, 08:23 PM
treydog   So back in the "old days" when we had a ...   May 3 2023, 03:11 PM
SubRosa   Autumn is growing accustomed to the new world she ...   May 4 2023, 04:19 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:45 AM