Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Accounts of Rayden
redsrock
post Jan 2 2008, 05:25 AM
Post #41

Knower
Group Icon

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

I didn’t answer his question, but I’m not even sure that would be possible if I tried. My back was in excruciating pain from the contact I made with Alf while flying through the air. And now, trickling down from my nose and into my open mouth was blood. I felt my nose with the most delicate touch and immediately I screamed out in pain, for my nose was broken. I had landed on my face hard on the ground and my nose paid the price for it.

Then I felt a huge hand grab me by the collar and raise me from the ground. I was now dangling about three or four feet off the ground, facing Mankar. No doubt the treacherous Nord was holding me with one of his massive hands.

“You just don’t learn, do you Rayden?” Mankar asked. “You would think one would learn from his mistakes, but I guess that only applies for intelligent beings. Your race never was too bright. It’s too bad you and your Dunmer cousins can’t take away from how Altmer act. Our civilized manor is a bit too different from your…ways. I never did figure out why my father would mate with such an ugly race such as the Bosmer. I am, I admit, very shamed that I have to suffer the consequences of bearing the blood of both an Altmer and a wood elf, but alas there is nothing I can do about it.”

He raised a hand and pointing at me while looking at Lex. Then the Imperial traitor walked over and searched my body for any weapons. He found my sword and dagger. Other than that I was empty.

“Good, Lex, now take those to the armory and store them there. I don’t think he’ll be needing those; not for now at least,” Mankar said to Lex while looking at me smiling.

Lex walked away and the two Mythic Dawn bodyguards stepped up beside Mankar, who had now turned his attention back to me.

“So, Rayden, I’m sure you are curious as to why “Alf” would betray you, am I correct? Well, of course I am. Let me tell you who he really is. His real name is Alfhedil…”

Alf then interrupted him, “Yes, master, I told him that,” he said with an evil laugh, “and he was stupid enough to believe me!”

“Yes, Alfhedil, you’ve played your role better than I ever could have imagined. Now, where was I? Oh yes, Alfhedil’s lie. He was no prisoner, Rayden. That was all set up just for you. You see, when Lex was dragging you to the Dungeon I placed Alfhedil in the same cell as you on purpose. I thought to myself, ‘if this Bosmer was able to infiltrate into my city this far, then he must have a specific purpose.’ I knew it wasn’t a simple search and rescue for a lost relative or friend, but rather something more. I do not know why exactly, but I somehow knew you posed a threat to my plans. So in comes Alfhedil, my prize scholar. I found him dumbly wondering the frozen wastelands of Solstheim long ago. I was there studying the ancient ruins, for those were my earlier days of course. I took Alfhedil into my possession and have taught him all I know, or I have at least tried. It’s amazing how his skills have raised since then. Granted they are certainly unpolished, but I am nothing less than pleased with his fast progression,” he paused while admiring Alfhedil’s ability to accomplish whatever sick mission Mankar set for him.

“Alfhedil’s job was only to make friends with you and follow you throughout your little journey. Of course he had to kill a few of my men in the process, but that was something I knew would happen. I didn’t want any of my men to die, but it’s a sacrifice that was beneficial as you can see. Alfhedil has led you here to me, and now your cause is all over Rayden. You have failed and I have won. It’s as simple as that.”

What I still couldn’t figure out was where everyone was. The Count, the soldiers, the civilians….

“Where is everyone? Why is the city so empty?” I barely muttered. I didn’t even want to talk about Alf, or I guess I should say Alfhedil. I was so angry.

“We were willingly let in by Count Ormellius Goldwine himself. Fortunately for me he saw the way, for his mind is more intelligent than the other rulers of Cyrodiil. As you know, all have died except for Count Hassildor of Skingrad and Countess Carvain of Bruma. Countess Umbranox of Anvil is still alive of course, but not for long…”

“What do you mean?”

“Goldwine and his troops are marching to Anvil as I speak. They will overtake the city, leaving only Bruma left. In case you didn’t know, half of my men turned around and went back to Skingrad, where one of my inside informants will let them into the city where everyone will be witness to my fury!”

“What about Adamus Phillida and the Legion troops?”

“The blasted Imperial got away with about ten of his men when one of his soldiers caught wind of what was going on. Apparently a soldier of his caught one of my informers talking with a Kvatch soldier about our plans. My men and I were only a few minutes from the castle when this happened, and he took off faster than ever. A small battle between Kvatch soldiers and Legions took place while Adamus escaped, and all the Legion soldiers were killed.”

“Where did he fell to?”

“To Bruma of course! Where else would the coward run off to? He retreated to the one city I am afraid I cannot take just yet. The fortifications of Bruma have certainly been enhanced since I first attacked the Imperial City, according to one of my scouts. Narina Carvain is a very intelligent woman, despite her ignorant Imperial bloodline. I have not the capability of laying siege on Bruma, but that will all change soon.”

“But why are you doing this? I thought the Mythic Dawn was devoted the god Mehrunes Dagon?”

“That we are, Rayden. But I feel the need to take over the lands of Cyrodiil for my own. I mean, why should I not? I have the skill and intelligence to do so. True, I never have had a plethora of men at my disposal, but the world is full of traitors. That is how I have been so successful. I use fear to persuade others to my side. So far it’s worked tremendously.”

“If all you want is the country, then why are you so eager on obtaining the Amulet of Kings?”

“Because, you foolish wood elf, by destroying the amulet I shall destroy the dragonfires. And obviously by doing that I shall open up a whole other world, the gates of Oblivion!”

“The what? You mean the realm of Mehrunes Dagon?”

“Yes, you fool! My master will be more than exuberant when I am finally able to break down the barrier and let him into Tamriel once more. I figured why not take over the lands so that my lord be able to do his bidding immediately.”

“And you need the amulet destroyed so that the dragonfires may diminish, and in return the barrier between Tamriel and Oblivion will fade away?”

“Precisely, my little wood elf prisoner. Now, Alfhedil, throw our guest to the ground before he suffocates.”

I was let go and I landed hard on the ground, with pain shooting up by back in the process. I rolled onto my back and then Mankar kicked me in the side. Then he lifted me with a spell and held me in place.

“Now Alfhedil will tell me of your plans, Rayden. Alfhedil, what is it that our prisoner desires?”

“Rayden has not been working alone, master. He has allied himself with the last heir to the Septim throne. He is of course an Imperial, and his name is Martin Septim.”

Mankar’s merely blinked. “So, his name is Martin. Hmm, I could have sworn one of my informants told me his name started with a ‘G’. Oh well, continue…”

“Martin has the amulet and is now residing in Skingrad, with Count Hassildor and his remaining troops,” Alfhedil said.

“Very good, so the amulet will fall into our hands tonight? Wonderful; everything is going according to plan. Now, Rayden, what do we do with you now that my plans are set and everything shall fall into place?”

I wasn’t even looking at either them. I was simple looking at the ground, hoping this would all end soon. What I feared would happen was seemingly hours away actually being a reality. Anvil would soon be attacked and Bruma would who be Cyrodiil’s last hope.

Martin was going to die, along with Count Hassildor and everyone else in Skingrad; the soldiers, the citizens, the children, everyone was going to perish. And what was to become of Dion, Danus and the Skingrad soldiers that were waiting just outside the city? For a second I thought perhaps Mankar didn’t know about them, but I had foolishly forgotten about the traitor standing a few feet away from me.

“What shall we do with the Skingrad troops outside, master?” Alfhedil asked of Mankar

“Go out and let them in, Alfhedil. Though I’m not sure if they will believe you or not.”

“What should I say if they refuse to believe me?”

“Tell them that the Mythic Dawn army passed up Kvatch and is heading straight for Anvil. Tell them Count Goldwine told you so. Bring about ten of our men dressed in Kvatch armor. That should help.”

Alfhedil left us as well. Then, after he left, a man appeared. He was a Mythic Dawn cultist, but this one had a black cloth covering his face.

“Master, Janus Hassildor and Martin Septim were not found in Skingrad. We entered the city as soon as their army left. They must have learned of what was happening and fled.”

Mankar’s expression turned into absolute anger.

“What shall we do, master?” asked the man with the covered face.

“Search the area extensively. They couldn’t have gotten too far unless they were on horses. And if that’s the case you will find hoof marks and things of that nature. Hurry, time is being wasted!”

“Right away, sir! And what about the prisoner we’ve come into possession of?”

“…Kill them.”

The man left as quick as he had come, leaving me alone with Mankar and his two guards.

“What are you going to do to them, the Kvatch soldiers outside?” I asked, even though I already knew the answer.

“They will die…just like the rest, Rayden. But enough about them, I think it’s high time we focus on you. What is your role in this pointless struggle against my army?”

“Isn’t it obvious? To stop you from taking over the country…”

“But why risk your life for people you have stolen from for many years?”

“And what makes you think I’m a thief, let alone one for many years?”

“Rayden…look at you. You’re a Bosmer first and foremost. Secondly, there’s simply no doubt that I am correct, especially after seeing what you have been able to accomplish. You infiltrated the Imperial City, you have silently killed several of my guards, you’ve uncovered the secret entrance into this very city, it all adds up.”

“Fine, what if I am a thief? What does it matter?”

“It matters because I’m finding it incredibly hard to understand why you care so much for people who don’t care about you. This Martin Septim, why help him? Is it not the truth that he would not car whether you were dead or alive? Think about it, Rayden, do you honestly think it would matter that much to him, or any of the people you’re helping? No, it would not.”

“What are getting at?”

“You should not be helping these people, it benefits you none whatsoever. Be honest with me, what were you doing when you came into the possession of the amulet?”

“I…I was inside the prison sewers, outside the Imperial City. I saw your men brutally murder the Emperor and his companions. They killed him while he was lying on the floor with his hands up, totally defenseless!” I said in anger.

“So, like I assumed, you were sneaking around trying to find something to steal, correct?”

I said nothing.

“You’re a wood elf, Rayden, a tree climber. And wood elves are typically thieves, it’s the simple truth. Every one knows this. But, the message that I am trying to send to you is that you’re risking your life for the wrong cause.”

The last sentence caught my attention. Risking my life for the wrong cause? What is he trying to say?

“Rayden, I’ll be frank with you. I do not like you, but you ups greatly outweigh your downs. Yes, you’re a wood elf, but so are several of my own associates. I have learned to put up with their ugly bloodline in order to receive their help. And I am willing to do the same with you…”

I couldn’t believe it. Was he really trying to get me on his side?

“Whoa, hold on a second? Are you actually trying to sway me to your cause?”

Mankar smiled and then chuckled a bit. “Come, Rayden, let us walk while we discuss these matters.”

I really didn’t know what else to do, so I followed him along with his two bodyguards.

“For a minute let’s just pretend and say the Imperials do win back their country.” Mankar began as we strolled through the streets. “What would become of you, my little wood elf? Would you be welcomed as a hero, or would be left out in the cold? Think about this one long and hard.”

I had never really thought about it before. What was to become of me after this struggle has totally slipped my mind. I suppose I figured I would be welcomed into the Empire somehow. But is that really what would happen? Now that I thought about a bit more, I wasn’t really too sure. But I wasn’t about to mention my doubts to Mankar.

“No answer? Well, I’ll give it to you. You would be forgotten, Rayden. I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the Imperials would never let a wood elf, let alone a thief, into their ranks. Now I realize I am not an expert in the way Imperials choose their officers and such, but I do know they are ignorant and conceited. They want the world for themselves and no one else’s. If the Imperials were able to defeat me somehow it would be with the help of Narina Carvain and Janus Hassildor. Both are capable leaders in their own right, and they wouldn’t hesitate to take the glory and leave you behind. And this Martin person, does he not want to be the Emperor?”

I shook my head no.

“Well, then, there’s go your chance of gaining anything from this at all. Martin is your companion, and if he wants no part in the Empire then that leaves you all alone. I highly doubt the Imperial would offer you an award or anything. Perhaps a pat on the back is all you would receive, if even that.”

We entered a tower near the entrance to the main city gates. Next we started up a flight of stairs. The place was totally dark, except for a lone torch that was dimly lit, resting on the wall. So Mankar transmitted some kind of spell that lit up the room brightly.

“Rayden, if you fight me you will die. But, if you decide what is best for you, both beneficially and intelligently, you will become somebody. No longer will you be the unknown thief, who has to fight through life just to get by. Your name will be known throughout Tamriel and you will earn the respect of everyone. I have a feeling my men won’t find Martin or Hassildor. Track them down and bring them to me. They still believe you are one of them.

“No, you’re nothing but a liar! You’ll only kill me once I find Martin and the Count!”

“Are you sure about that, Rayden? Think about it, you are not an Imperial and you really hold no significance anymore. Martin has the amulet, and now that he is with Hassildor they will likely head for Bruma, where their defenses shall shield them from my army, for now. They will not travel to Anvil, for Hassildor is too wise to believe the city cannot be overrun. Face it, Rayden; they do not care for you.”

What if Mankar was right? I know I want to believe that I actually mean something, but perhaps he’s right. I mean, I really don’t even know why I’m helping the Empire. I suppose only because I do not want to be ruled by the Mythic Dawn, but if what Mankar says is true…maybe I would be something more. No…what am I thinking? It’s not true. Mankar is the enemy and he always will be…

“I assume by your silence that you are pondering my offer? I hope that is the case because if not you will be killed, Rayden,” he said while we were now walking through a door and out into a balcony of the building. We must have been in the guard tower.

“Look at it, Rayden,” he said while pointing out into early morning. The sun was now rising and it really was a beautiful sight. We had an excellent view of a wide area of land. Everything seemed so peaceful, even if it really wasn’t.

“This can all be yours along with mine, only if you side with me. So, what shall it be, Rayden? Will you accept my offer…or will you instead accept death?”

I didn’t want to die. And now that I was being threatened of that certain fate, many things were running through my head. Maybe he was right after all. I have to admit I cannot remember Martin ever telling me thanks for anything, not one thing. But on the other hand, how could I betray his trust? I would be no better than Alfhedil. Boy, were things so confusing…

“Think of it this way, Rayden. You can either fight what is ultimately to come, or you can embrace what cannot be stopped. The time for a new age is now, and nothing can stop this forthcoming. Not Martin, not you, not Hassildor, no one.”

I…I didn’t know what to say. I suppose his offer was a little tempting at least. And maybe…wait…no, I can’t think that way. Mankar is nothing but a treacherous snake; one that will wrap around its prey and never let go. He’s a sneaky Altmer, I’ll give him that. I almost actually believed what he was saying, but it’s all lies.

“No, I will not aid you, you filthy animal. You won’t win this war, Mankar. No matter what happens to me, here today, you will lose.”

His reaction was rather normal, nothing exceptional. “Fine, Rayden, do as you wish. It’s too bad you don’t see things my way. You would have made a good mage with some practice I think. Guards…kill him.”

Mankar stood aside while his guards unsheathed their blades and started walking slowly towards me. The room space at the tower was rather cramped. It was circular and about ten yards all the way around. I back up against the wall while they came. I had no weapons available, only my fists, which were nothing against a pair of metal blades.

Closer they came, now within a few yards of me. Then, when I looked over the edge of the wall, I saw a large bale of high at the ground level. You can probably guess what I’m thinking now, I was wondering whether to jump or not. I was up fairly high up, about eight stories since we were in a tower. If I landed wrong I would die, but if I stayed here I would die as well. I just didn’t know if jumping was my final option, but there was only one way to find out.

So I took a leap of faith and jumped from the tower and to the ground. It was the sensational feeling I had ever come to face in my life; flying down towards the hard dirt ground, not knowing if you are going to die or survive. It was absolutely mystifying in a way. Time passed quickly, which was exactly the opposite if what I imagined would happen, and luckily I landed smack dab in the middle of the pile, though not without injury. My back, which was still sore, didn’t feel any better from the impact, even if it was hay.

I quickly, but painfully, got up from the ground and brushed the hay off of me. I looked up and could just barely see Mankar looking at me from above. He screamed something but I couldn’t make out the words. Then a burst of light appeared from the tower, and the next thing I knew two bodies were falling. They were the bodyguards and they hit the ground with a thud, and obviously they were now dead. Before anyone could spot me I was about to run away, but before I did that I grabbed a dagger from one of the guards’ belt. It was sort of bent in a way but it was better than nothing. I looked into the distance and saw that the field was lying with bodies. I scurried over to look for any survivors, and found only one: Dion.

His chest was barely moving. Two arrows were sticking out from his right side and blood was all over his face. If it wasn’t for his dark complexion I probably wouldn’t have recognized him.

“Dion, are you okay?”

I don’t know why I asked him that. Obviously he wasn’t.

“What do you think? I’ve got two arrows sticking from my body and I’ve lost a lot of blood. I’m not going to last long, but tell me, what happened in there?”

“Alf, or Alfhedil I guess, betrayed us. He’s been working with Mankar the entire time. I never would have guessed.”

“Yes, I already know that. He came out here with about ten men dressed in Kvatch armor. We thought they were friendly Kvatch soldiers, but we were wrong.”

“What happened out here, Dion?”

They struck when Danus started asking too many questions. A fight ensued and suddenly hundreds of spells came from within the forest behind us. Apparently they had following us the whole time. We didn’t stand a chance. There were cultists, a few Kvatch soldiers, even a large group of mercenaries from the Blackwood Company. It all ended in a matter of minutes. But, they took Danus into the city for questioning. You better get out of here quick, before they see you.”

I wanted nothing more than to get out of here, but I couldn’t leave Danus here to die, even if he is a rude person. He’s actually a good soldier, according to Dion. I would need his help.

“Come on, I’ll help you up and…”

“No, Rayden, it’s too late for me. Just leave before they come! Wait…where are you going now?”

“I can’t leave Danus in there to die. I’ll need him…”

“But he’s likely dead as we speak!” He yelled, but I did not wait. I had to get inside. I didn’t really believe going back into the city was the smartest of decisions, but it was a necessary one in my mind…

--------------------
*Hey everyone, TES Fiction is looking to revamp its very talented group of writers. So, if you love to write (TES or non-TES), come on over! Whether its stories, poems, song lyrics, etc, it doesn't matter!*
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jan 2 2008, 06:24 AM
Post #42

Agent

ALF IS A TRAITOR!?
That is so sad... I liked him!

This story is getting really exciting. I have just one question though if anyone could answer, is Chorrol still alive?
I can't remember all the details and I am not sure!
But once again, a great read!
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Jan 2 2008, 06:52 AM
Post #43

Knower
Group Icon

Nope, towards the beginningof the story it was stated that only four cities remain: Anvil, Skingrad, Kvatch, Bruma. Sorry! tongue.gif tongue.gif

But of course that has all changed as of now...

This post has been edited by redsrock: Jan 2 2008, 06:53 AM

--------------------
*Hey everyone, TES Fiction is looking to revamp its very talented group of writers. So, if you love to write (TES or non-TES), come on over! Whether its stories, poems, song lyrics, etc, it doesn't matter!*
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jan 2 2008, 07:04 AM
Post #44

Master
Group Icon

Wow, a lot of twists and turns going on here. It definitely makes for an entertaining read. And yes, it doesn't sound like a good idea to barge back into a city you just escaped from. Hopefully Rayden knows what he's doing.

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jan 2 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #45

Master
Group Icon

Alf?! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Ok, if you can get responses like that, you know you're on the right track. Dangit, I'm gonna miss the old gorilla, even if it was all a lie.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Jan 2 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #46

Knower
Group Icon

lol, a lot fo readers seemed to like him.

--------------------
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Jan 4 2008, 01:04 AM
Post #47

Knower
Group Icon

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

It was now daylight, but I didn’t even care. I was determined to find and rescue Danus no matter how high the risks may be. It is true that Danus probably does deserve what he gets, but then again I suppose I am being too harsh. Nobody deserves death unless they have caused it themselves. I’ve always though that way; an eye for an eye, no less. Of course I do realize that same rule applies to me as well, and frankly I have broken that tenet several times in my life, not counting the cultists.

The castle walls were for some reason unattended to as I made my way across the fields, running full speed. Mankar was probably informing everyone of what happened in the tower, and I’m sure he’s extremely angry. By killing his own bodyguards he had shown his true side. He was a murderer that didn’t even care about his own men. It was pathetic really, that he thinks himself a leader. He is nothing even close to such a title.

I was going to head over to the secret entrance, but I figured that would be too obvious. Mankar knows that I am aware of the hidden passageway, and there was a good chance he already has his men posted at the garden which the passageway leads to. I didn’t know of any other hidden entrances, so now I was sort of stuck. Then I decided to enter through the main entrance. It was a risky chance, but I believe if I was to perhaps hide behind one of the gates when it opens, I could wait for the cultists to pass and then quietly enter myself. There was also the possibility of the gate squashing me against the stone wall, but I was willing to take that chance. I really didn’t see any other way.

So I quickly ran over to the gate and waited. I stood there for what seemed like five minutes or so, when finally the gate opened. Thankfully they didn’t swing it open violently, resulting in the door opening about three-fourths of the way. I waited silently as a large group of cultists came running out of the city. There were at least twenty of them altogether, and one of them, a tall Breton, yelled, “Head to the forest! He’s likely headed back to Skingrad! Hurry before he gets too far!”

When they were all gone I was about to sneak around the door and enter the city, but then I heard the soft metal-sound of footsteps coming from within. Rather than show myself I remained hidden behind the door. Two bodyguards appeared from inside the city, with the same armor as the other two that Mankar had thrown from the tower, though these two were without masks. They were both Altmers but their skin was a little darker than usual. Apparently there were more than two bodyguards, though these two must have some sort of significance since they were not wearing masks. As they stepped outside and looked around, behind them came Mankar himself. He then spoke to the bodyguards.

“Go to the hidden entrance. He might be there, though I doubt he’s dumb enough to go there twice. Still, there’s always a chance and if he is there he will be stuck between the two of you and ten of my own men who are waiting on the other side, hidden in the bushes.”

“What shall we do if he isn’t present, father?” the female asked.

Father? Could she really be…?

“Then report back to me. If he is at the entrance, or if you find him along the way, kill him without hesitation. We cannot allow him to escape again,” Mankar said sternly.

“Yes, father. We won’t let you down,” said the male.

And could he really be…?

“Raven…Ruma…you two have not failed me as of yet, but do not think I will let you slide if Rayden escapes once again. It matters not if you are my kin, I will make an example out of you two if Rayden slips away.”

The two guards nodded and then turned to their left, where they started walking towards the hidden entrance. Mankar watched his two children walk away, and then he entered the city once more, closing the gate behind him. I couldn’t believe it; I never once thought Mankar had any offspring. This was very interesting indeed.

After Mankar entered the city and closed the door, I thought about following him inside, but then I decided against that and instead followed the son and daughter, though I did not have a plan as of yet. I wanted to kill the two, but not shed too much blood so that I may use their uniform as a disguise. But then again they were not wearing helmets, so wearing their armor probably wouldn’t be the safest decision anyway. Perhaps maybe shedding a little blood wasn’t totally out of the question?

The two led me around the castle walls not talking to one another, which I found to be a bit suspicious. Then, suddenly, the female whose name was presumably Ruma, said, “Shall we take care of him now or later?”

Then the male, Raven, replied,” Now…”

They both turned around and casted a spell in my direction. The spells went off course as I dove to my left. I hit the ground hard, hurting my back even further. But I got up quickly because the two were now running at me with their long blades unsheathed.

Raven swung mightily at my head and Ruma chopped down at my legs. I dove in between the two attacks and at the same time I took out my dagger and swiped through the air, hoping to hit something besides air. I did make contact with something: Raven’s right cheek. A scar had immediately showed and blood was dripping down his face. He merely gritted his teeth and came towards me again.

He swung at my neck this time and I barely moved back in time before the blade could make contact with my skin. Then Raven shot a spell towards my way but I dove again to my left and just barely dodged the attack, and now I was on my back. Raven ran to me and raised his blade into the air, ready to bring it down on my face, but he was then hit from behind by a spell. I thought it was Ruma who had casted the spell, but no…it was Martin! Ruma looked horrified as she witnessed her brother fall to the ground. He hit the dirt with a thud and then lay motionless. He was dead.

“Raven, no!” She screamed, and then turned her attention to Martin. “Imperial scum, you’ll pay for that!”

She threw a fireball at Martin, but he safely dodged the attack. She had fully lost her focus and was not paying any attention to anything behind her. I took advantage of the situation and got up from the ground, picked up Raven’s blade, and sprinted over to Ruma, who had just dodged a spell. I stuck the blade into her back with great force, and she immediately dropped her own sword. She then wrapped her arms around her back and grabbed my blade, but it was too late. I dug the blade deeper and deeper until she fell to the floor, dead just like her brother.

I was now totally out of breath, frantically gasping for air. I had fallen to the ground while I regained my energy, when Martin walked over with a smile.

“What, you thought I was going to leave you here to die?”

I was very surprised to see him and Hassildor, who was standing beside a tree in the distance. I didn’t think they would have taken the chance of getting caught. I guess Mankar was wrong after all, heh. Maybe they do care about me.

“I thought you guys would have already been on your way to Anvil or Bruma by now,” I replied with a sense of thanks and excitement.

“No, I wasn’t about to leave you here to die, Rayden. After what Hassildor and I learned we knew something bad was going to happen up here, hence the reason I am here now. We came to save you Rayden, because I had a feeling you might get caught again,” he said laughing. “Hey, where’s Alf by the way?”

I forgot about Alfhedil, that filthy traitor. “He betrayed us, Martin. It was he who led me to Mankar. Mankar is actually “Alfhedil’s” mentor.”

“Wow…I never would have guessed that in a million years, though I do suppose it was rather odd that he was so skilled in magic.”

“Yes, I should have been more careful. I guess that’s why I don’t generally trust anyone.”

“Well, I know I can’t tell you what do Rayden, but you can definitely trust me. I won’t turn out like Alf, or Alfhedil I should say.”

“Yes, I know that, Martin. You have shown me that my coming to my rescue.”

“So, what happened to everyone?” Martin asked.

I told him the whole thing; about Alfhedil leading me to Mankar; about Mankar’s son and daughter; Alfhedil ambushing the Skingrad soldiers; and of course my narrow escape. Then I told him I was going back into the city to save Danus. I didn’t know where I was going to enter, but apparently that didn’t matter, for Martin wasn’t going to let me go either way.

“Are you crazy or something? You just escaped Mankar for the second time and now you want to take a chance of getting captured for the fourth time? Rayden, you’re crazy, that’s all I can say. How many times do you think you’re going to get lucky?”

“I have to rescue him, Martin. He’s a skillful warrior and could lend us a lot of help. After all, he is Hassildor’s mentor as well.”

“I forgot about that. Well, that changes everything I guess. We should involve Hassildor in this discussion. It’s only fair that he gets his opinion on the matter,” Martin said as he waved for Hassildor to join us.

“It’s good to see that you are safe, Rayden,” Hassildor mentioned after patting my on the shoulder, “But it’s time we leave before Mankar realizes what has happened. Off to Bruma we shall go.”

“Wait, Count Hassildor,” I began, but was interrupted by the Count.

“Please, Rayden, call me Janus. From the looks of things I am no longer a Count of anything,” he said sadly.

“The Skingrad troops were ambushed by Alf.” I started. “It turned out he was a traitor all along. His real name is Alfhedil. He…attacked your troops and killed all of them, except for Danus. I found Dion lying in the battlefield, and he told me Danus was taken inside by the enemy. I’m sorry Janus, but Dion was on the very urge of dying when I left him. All that’s left is Danus, and I want to go in there and save him. I realize that he is your “heir to be” so to speak, but Martin feels that entering the city is a bad decision. We want your take on the situation.”

Hassildor’s face looked so depressing and he looked worn out, mentally and physically. Of course what could I expect? All of his soldiers and people have died, and his commanding officer is going to soon face that same fate if we don’t do something about it.
“No, we have to leave,” he said with a loud sigh. “It is unfortunate that Danus has been captured by the enemy but that does not justify us going in there and saving him. He can’t lose anymore people. It’s only the three of us now.”

“But, Janus, I’ve infiltrated both the Imperial City and Kvatch before, I…”

“And from what I have heard you were captured in both instances. Luckily you were not killed during those scenarios, but how long do you think you can go without getting yourself killed?”

“You sound like Martin. So I guess your siding with him, eh?”

“I’m only siding with what is right, Rayden. I appreciate the thought that you want to save my commander, but it is simply too dangerous of a task, especially for someone who doesn’t have a knack for staying in the shadows, if you know what I mean.”

I started to blush, for I could feel my cheeks turning red. I was a thief, that was my profession, and yet Hassildor and Martin were right. I have been caught the last two times. Maybe I’m not as lucky as I used to be. Either that or my skills are diminishing, but I didn’t even want to think of that.

“Well, I mean, it’s not everyday that I sneak into cities that are guarded by hundreds of angry cultists. You try it once and see what happens.” I was getting a little defensive, and Martin quickly noticed.

“Rayden, we’re not trying to bring you down at all, even though I’ll admit that I’m not too impressed with your “profession.” All we’re asking is why take a chance on getting killed? We need you more than anyone else. You’ve already proven countless times that you’re a force to be reckoned with, and obviously a survivor, if not a tad bit lucky as well I should say,” he said with a grin.

“I guess you’re right. Oh well, let’s get out of here then,” I said, not wanting to talk about it anymore. “You said Bruma, Janus?”

“Yes, Burma’s defenses are top-notch. That, and the fact they are located near the mountains, and from what I hear they have some kind of hidden fortress up there.”

“You mean Cloud Ruler Temple?” Martin asked.

“No, I mean another fort that was just recently built. Cloud Ruler Temple is still housing the remaining Blades agents. Last I heard they were helping protect Bruma from any invaders, but it’s all rumors. We’ll just have to wait and see for ourselves. But enough of this standing around; we can talk on the way there.”

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jan 4 2008, 07:39 AM
Post #48

Master
Group Icon

I'm enjoying the flaws in these characters a lot. For Rayden being an "expert" thief, he certainly has been caught a lot of times trying to sneak up on someone or infiltrate a city. It definitely gives more realism to your characters.

Things are still moving nicely. I wish I could keep up with the pace you're going at with my writing. But alas, work and school always seems to drain me by the time I get onto the computer.

--------------------

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Jan 4 2008, 08:53 PM
Post #49

Knower
Group Icon

it's okay, i understand

--------------------
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jan 4 2008, 09:51 PM
Post #50

Agent

Just thought I'd ask this...
Is there any way Alf could turn to the good side and see the error of his ways...?
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Jan 4 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #51

Knower
Group Icon

It just depends on how the story progresses. I am not lying to you when i say I do not know what's going to happen. I write as I tihnk. There is no pre-planning...

--------------------
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jan 4 2008, 10:48 PM
Post #52

Master
Group Icon

I don't use much preplanning myself. Alf turning to the side of good would be interesting, but I think I'd rather not see it happen. While he's a jolly fella, sometimes the whole change of heart thing just doesn't cut it. Not after all the deaths he's caused and schemed for.

Moving to the story at hand. Martin coming to the rescue was great and a sign that all of Mankar's 'they've abandoned you' talk was a trick. It was about time he got his groove on. Sitting outside all the time and waiting for Rayden to do his stuff must have gotten him bored by now. I also like how Rayden constantly gets defensive when his skills are being questioned. I must say, the opposition does have a point. For all his claims of being an untouchable expert, he hasn't really proven it yet. The way it looks now, Rayden is a bad infiltrator but a great escapist.

--------------------
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Jan 7 2008, 04:28 PM
Post #53

Knower
Group Icon

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

“Janus, I want to ask you a question, but you have to be totally honest with me.”

It had been a mere five hours since we left Kvatch; and with it we also left hundreds of dead bodies as well, including Dion and presumably Danus. Now we’re traveling along the Great Forest, on a path of dirt that wasn’t exactly easy to follow. Mountains were to our left, Chorrol only thirty or so miles to the northwest. We didn’t plan on stopping for anything except for rest every now and then. We could wait until we arrive at Bruma for actual sleep and food.

“Sure, Rayden, go ahead and I’ll do my best to answer your question.”

I was still bent on wondering how we still stood a chance against the Mythic Dawn onslaught. We were now outnumbered and out-skilled as well. I just didn’t see a way of victory.

“Do you think the Empire still has a chance of taking back Cyrodiil from Mankar?”

He sort of chuckled a bit at the question, and then sighed heavily. “Rayden, I’m afraid I cannot give you a straight answer. But instead may I give my opinion on how things might unfold?”

I nodded, “Sure, go ahead.”

“This may sound strange, but I think perhaps the Imperial dominance is coming to an end in Cyrodiil. Look at us…only one city remains, granted that city will stand a long time before it is conquered, but sooner or later Bruma will meet the same fate as the others. Mankar’s army is simply too powerful and too numerous to defeat.”

“So do you think what the three of us are doing now is useless; all for nothing?” I asked.

“I really don’t know what think anymore, Rayden. Unfortunately it appears that no matter what we do, Mankar will eventually find us and take the amulet. He has his army of cultists, the Blackwood Company, the army of Kvatch and possibly any Anvil soldiers that might surrender and join their side. The odds are greatly stacked against us. Our Emperor is dead and only three rulers of Cyrodiil remain, that is until Countess Umbranox is killed by Mankar’s men. To be honest with you, as you have asked of me, I don’t see a realistic way of defeating the Mythic Dawn.”

“Then why all of this struggling? Why risk our lives to keep the amulet from Mankar if he is to take it away from us anyway? If what you say is true, Janus, I really can’t see a reason for taking all of these chances.”

“That is for you to decide individually. I am doing this because I am not a coward. I will fight to the end no matter what. It may be a hopeless battle, but why simply give in and surrender? If we are to die why not go down fighting?”

“I understand what you are saying, and I agree with it, but sometimes I just can’t help but feel stupid fighting for a lost cause, if that is what his is I mean.”

“I never said it was a lost cause; only that in my opinion victory cannot happen. But, Rayden let me tell you that I have seen strange things in my long, long life. Who is to say that the Council will not intervene?”

“About them…..where are they in all of this chaos?” Martin asked.

“I’m afraid I cannot answer that question either. I’ve been totally confined to my city and my city alone. Since the death of Uriel Septim and the invasion of the Mythic Dawn I have lost contact with the outside world. I am sure the Council is doing something, but what that actually is I do not know. Perhaps Countess Carvain will have an answer for us.”

“You’d think soldiers of the Legion from the other provinces would have came back to help defend Cyrodiil,” Martin commented.

“Well, there’s no telling if the Mythic Dawn has attacked the Legion abroad as well. If Mankar is smart, and he obviously is, he would have taken care of the situation. There are hundreds of thousands more Legion soldiers around Tamriel, but unfortunately they have not come to our aid as of yet. And King Hlaalu Helseth of Morrowind doesn’t strike be trustworthy at all. His mother, Barenziah, means well, but I am afraid her son is nothing like her. I wouldn’t be surprised if he too has sided with Mankar, if of course the invasion has reached the other provinces,” Hassildor said.

“Doesn’t Helseth command his own army?” Martin asked Hassildor.

“Yes, and a very skillful one as well I might add. He has many soldiers and would definitely be a useful force for Mankar’s army.”

“Come on, Janus. Do you really think King Helseth would side with the enemy?” Martin replied.

“Yes, I definitely do. Especially after witnessing Ormellius Goldwine and Hieronymus Lex do the same. These are tricky times, Martin. People don’t want to die, and sometimes they’ll resort to the lowest of things in order to survive.”

“I guess so, but I hope that doesn’t happen. We’re outnumbered enough as it is.”

“Yes, but after the deaths of Dagoth Ur, Almalexia, Sotha Sil; and the disappearances of the Nerevarine and Vivec in Morrowind, Helseth is doing all he can to gain as much power as possible. I don’t like it, and given the fact that the Empire is leaderless, this is an excellent and perfect opportunity for Helseth to make a move. I just hope his mother will tell him right if the worst ever begins to happen.”

We trudged on towards Bruma into the dark night and soon the weather changed for the worst. No longer were we able to walk in the cool weather with the nice light breeze that the Colovian Highlands offered. Now we had to endure the frosty coldness and snowy atmosphere of the northern part of the Great Forest. I was only wearing what little clothing I had before. I didn’t have a robe or a coat of any kind. It was absolutely freezing and it was now starting to snow! But I didn’t complain; after all, we’d be in Bruma in no more than five hours or so.

But along the journey something quite odd appeared out of nowhere. We were traveling along the road, snow was falling down heavily, and out from the forest came at least ten soldiers in leather and fur armor. The large group were carrying all types of melee weapons, were made up of various races, and were blocking our way. We stopped dead in our tracks, and then noticed to our left and right there were four more respectively. And to our rear were another five or so. Things weren’t looking good for us and at that moment I thought the end had finally come.

“Hold it right there!” yelled an angry looking Redguard, who had a giant scar across his right cheek bone and above his right eye. As he came closer I could see him blink, and the two scars were connected by another one over his right eye lid.

“Hold on, we don’t want any trouble; we’re just passing through. You can take my gold, I don’t have any use of it anymore,” Hassildor pleaded with the man. Apparently Janus thought they were bandits, but I didn’t think so. There were just too many of them to be simple bandits.

“We don’t want your money, old man, we want to make sure you’re not the bad guys,” the Redguard said while rubbing his hairy chin and checking Janus, Martin and I out. “You’re not wearing the usual red garb, but of course that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re not one of them. My men and I have learned that the hard way...”

“I swear to you, we’re not the Mythic Dawn, we are only trying to…”

Hassildor was interrupted by a young Imperial standing to our right.

“Say, Alusan, ain’t he the Count of Skingrad?”

The Redguard, who I took was named Alusan, looked Janus in the eyes for several seconds and then formed a large grin. He appeared to recognize the Count as well.

“By Talos, you are the Count! What are you doing out here in the cold weather? Shouldn’t you be all bundled up in your warm and cozy chambers?” Alusan laughed.

“Yes, I am Janus Hassildor, former Count of Skingrad. My city was overrun by the foul Mythic Dawn. These two I have with me are escorting me to Bruma so that I may be with the last living ruler of Cyrodiil other than my self.”

“Overrun…just like all the others. But you say the Countess of Bruma and your self are the only ones left. How can that be when Countess Umbranox of Anvil and Count Goldwine of Kvatch still live?”

“Anvil is being attacked as we speak, by Goldwine’s own forces. Unfortunately he has betrayed the Empire and has sided with Mankar, just as the Legion officer Hieronymus Lex has done.”

“Yes, I remember Lex’s betrayal. I was at the Imperial City when it happened. Those men in red robes, they came in and destroyed the Legion troops like it was nothing. I barely escaped with my life.”

“Then you are a certainly one of the few lucky ones to have done so. Who are you?” Hassildor asked looking around.

“We are all refugees from several cities; the Imperial City, Chorrol and even Cheydinhal to be exact. We’ve been camping in the Great Forest caves ever since the invasion, picking off as many Mythic Dawn patrols as we can with our might and strong will to rid the land from their evil ways. I used to have more than fifty men, but now as you can see our numbers have dwindled down to a mere twenty hands, hands that are untrained in combat I might add.”

“Well, you are a remarkable bunch then. What is your name?”

“Alusan, son of Gancolm the Great. Have you ever heard of him?”

Hassildor raised an eyebrow.

“No? I thought so; my father was an excellent fighter in his time and won many fistfights. But unfortunately his drinking habits ultimately got the best of him and he died at the early age of thirty five when he mistakenly picked the wrong fight while intoxicated. But I am not like my father, a drinker I mean…” he said laughing once more.

This Alusan seemed rather friendly, and that scared the daylights out of me. The last time I met someone this friendly I was led to Mankar and almost killed for the umpteenth time. And then Hassildor actually asked him to come along with us.

“Well, I think it would be the best decision for all of us if you followed me and my two friends to Bruma. That is where the final stages of the defense of Cyrodiil will be. It’s the last city left and we’ll need plenty of men to fight.”

Alusan appeared to like the idea because he was now grinning larger than before and was again stroking his chin. “I like that proposal. It is getting cold out here and my men could definitely use a nice warm bowl of soup or something.”

Before anything else could happen I aggressively tugged at Janus’s robe sleeve.

“What are you doing, Janus? We don’t know these people; for all we know they could be just like Alfhedil!”

“Who is this Alfhedil you speak of?” Alusan asked me curiously.

“He was a friend of ours, or at least we thought so. He betrayed us and actually led Rayden to Mankar, where he just narrowly escaped death,” Martin answered for me.

Then the Redguard looked at me and said, “If that is true…Rayden…then you are a capable little elf.”

“I don’t make friends very easily and especially now because of Alfhedil’s betrayal. I will never let that happen again.”

“Well you don’t have to worry about that. One I’m not trying to be your friend; and two; I am as loyal as they come. I know it’s hard to believe me but you’ll just have to take my word for it.”

The last sentence I had heard before. I once told Martin the same thing, several times actually. He had believed me and so far things have worked out. Perhaps I should be a little more open as Martin was with me, but I can’t get careless. One more wrong step and it will surely be the death of me.

I simply shrugged at the comments, “Very well, but I’ll be keeping an eye on you.”

“Oh I’m sure you will,” he said with a grin.

“Are we done with the arguing, Rayden? I’d like to get to Bruma soon. And this cold weather isn’t good for the Count. He isn’t young and able like you and I,” Martin said, but not with disrespect concerning his last two comments.

“Oh, if you only knew,” Janus said chuckling.

--------------------
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jan 7 2008, 09:37 PM
Post #54

Master
Group Icon

No conflicts, for a change. But still, it was nice. The fact that there is some resistance beyond Rayden and co is good news. Of course, everything else is pretty much bad news so it all balances out. It's also nice to see that Rayden has grown more distrustfull of people who claim to be his friends.

--------------------
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Jan 7 2008, 09:59 PM
Post #55

Knower
Group Icon

Thank Cloudy! I'm glad you approve...

--------------------
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Jan 8 2008, 03:26 AM
Post #56

Knower
Group Icon

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

The rest of the way to Bruma was spent talking with our new friends. Most of them didn’t have much to say simply because they were worn out from all the fighting. But Alusan was quite the talker, as was the Imperial who first recognized Janus. It also appeared that the two loved to argue with one another as well.

“If you ask me, I’m surprised we haven’t received any help from the other provinces. Where are they at in our time of desperate need,” said the Imperial man who recognized Janus.

“Come on, Malpen, you of all people should know the answer to that. You’re the one always complaining about how the other provinces don’t show the Empire any respect.”

“That’s right, Alusan, especially you Redguards from Hammerfell!” Malpen said with a chuckle.

“Hammerfell isn’t anything like Cyrodiil. I’ve explained that to you several times, but of course you haven’t listened to me. Our province is not one kingdom united under one Emperor. There are numerous Kings and Queens, all vying for power. The province itself is split up into different regions and areas. And the eastern part is still trying to re-conquer lands taken by Skyrim. They have their own war too you know…..the War of Bend’r-Mahk.”

“Yes, yes, you’ve told me that hundreds of times. I know, I know.”

“Then stop complaining that my province isn’t aiding us at this time. We do not have a grand army like the Empire has.”

“Neither does the Empire anymore,” Malpen replied back, and he had an excellent point.

We finally arrived in Bruma some two hours later and I could almost feel the heat coming from the many torches that were just visible through the heavy downfall of snow. They were the torches of nearly one hundred soldiers guarding the walls of Bruma, which had drastically changed since the last I visited the small city. Hassildor was right when he said Bruma’s defenses were top notch. Somehow in a short amount of time they had successfully built a seemingly fifty yard stone wall around the entire city. At the top of the walls were many archers ready to shoot on sight at any enemy, and there were also towers at four corners, allowing scouts to see out into the land, even though it was difficult because of the snow. The shape of the defensive wall resembled a rectangle, but not totally straight.

“Finally we are here!” claimed Janus.

All of us walked up to a large iron gate that had built into the wall, and a Bruma guard dressed in their traditional yellow uniform asked us who we were and what we wanted. I thought it was a rather stupid question because the Count of Skingrad was with us. I guess he couldn’t make out Janus’s face, but once we got closer the guard immediately knew who he was.

“Count Hassildor! I am so sorry! I did not know it was you! Hurry, open the gate! The Count of Skingrad has arrived!”

The soldiers around began coming over to shake hands with Janus and the gate slowly ascended upward, revealing the other side of the wall.

“This way, my lord, I will show you to Captain Burd,” said the guard while leading us into the area between the defensive wall and the actual city.

The space in between was rather large itself, at least one-hundred yards. Most of the area was used for the pitched tents that were likely set up for the soldiers whenever they got too cold. But there were also defensive machines and other things. There were several catapults, many barrels of spears, shields, swords and arrows, as well as some kind of mechanism that was holding what looked like a thousand or so long steel arrows.

“Excuse me, guard, but what is that for?” Hassildor said pointing the weird looking machine. Apparently it caught his attention too.

“That, my lord, is one of our most prized possessions. We call it the ‘Uriel Urinater’ in honor of our fallen Emperor,” he said with one of the biggest laughs I had seen in a long time.

“And why is it called that?” Hassildor asked.

“Because when you pull down that lever on the side, the machine shoots the arrows high into the air, and then they fall down on however we please. It’s very handy and also extremely effective. We’ve already tested it out on some dummies. The machine is incredibly accurate.”

“Don’t you think that’s a bit rude calling it that? I’d say it’s a bit disrespectful to the Emperor,” Alusan commented.

“I wouldn’t say so, friend. Anything that helps the men’s spirits can’t hurt can it?”
“I suppose so, but I still don’t think it is right. Your captain has allowed this name?”

“Well, it’s actually an “unofficial” name. We don’t really talk about it around the captain for the reasons you have mentioned.”

“But I thought you said there was no harm in it,” Alusan slyly said.

“Yes, but ever since the Countess’s downfall Captain Burd has been very stressed out. He’s become a lot more stern than he used to. Sort of an ‘all work and no play’ kind of guy. Obviously you want your soldiers to be disciplined and all that, but he’s been taking that too far lately.”

“What do you mean? Is something wrong with Narina?” Hassildor was extremely worried that something terrible had happened to the Countess. Fortunately it appeared that she was not dead or anything, but something bad had indeed happened.

“Soon after the Mythic Dawn began sacking the cities Countess Carvain went into a depression. At first it wasn’t so bad and she was able to continue with daily activities, but after all the city-sackings she fled into her chambers and hasn’t been seen outside of it since. That was five days ago and since then Captain Burd has taken the role of ‘temporary Count’.”

“Poor child, she must feel awful. Narina is a fine ruler and I can give her the benefit of the doubt because of her relative’s death, but what she is doing now is unacceptable. She wasn’t named Countess for nothing. Her strong will, powerful diplomatic abilities, and leadership have gotten her to the throne. I’ll get her out of this current state.”

“Good luck with that, my lord.”

We then entered through the city gates and stepped inside the city. Everything was absolutely normal. People were walking the streets, Chapel services were just getting underway, for it was now about ten in the morning, and things were going quite smoothly. If it wasn’t for the fact of all the defensive walls and all of the soldiers lining up outside, I would guess and say that the people knew nothing of the crisis at hand.

The guard took us down a snowy path to the right and towards the castle. It wasn’t anything fancy, and actually it appeared to be smaller than any of the others I have seen. I could be wrong about that however, because it’s been a very long since I’ve last had any sleep.

Inside the castle were several quite a few soldiers standing and walking around the throne. And sitting in that throne was a Nord with black hair, and a little gray on the sides. He was wearing the standard Bruma guard uniform, but without the helmet.

“Janus! How are you, old friend? When did you get here?”

The Nord, who I took to be Captain Burd, stood from his seat and walked over to greet us. He shook Hassildor’s hand and then they both hugged. Apparently they were close friends or something.

“Not very well given the circumstances, you fool! It is awfully nice to see you again, but obviously I am here because of the Mythic Dawn crisis. I see you have taking over command, and your guard here has told me of Narina’s condition. Has it worsened?”

“I am afraid there isn’t anything we can do. After all this Mythic Dawn mess she’s been locked in her room, and only I have been in there. I’ve tried talking sense the woman but she’s lost all of her spirit; she fears Bruma will be next in the Mythic Dawn’s target list. I’m even starting to hear her talk to herself at night. I can hear her plainly through the wooden door. She says things like ‘It will all end soon, darling, just you wait a little longer’ and ‘No, darling, you mustn’t give up now. Just a little longer and they will end your suffering’. It’s really starting to worry me, Janus. I fear she may be contemplating suicide. She just started talking to herself two days ago but it’s really creepy. I wish there was something I could do but nothing ever seems to help. She hasn’t even let me inside her chambers at all yesterday morning and I have not spoken to her since.”

“Let me try and talk some sense into her. We can’t have the Countess of Bruma acting like this, even if the situation is this bad. That doesn’t mean she can seclude herself from the outside world. She’s the Countess for Talos’ sake!”

“You can try, Janus, but I don’t think it’s going to work. She probably won’t even listen to you, given the fact that you angered her quite a bit the last time you visited town.”

“Yes, that’s precisely the reason I haven’t been back since. It’s not my fault; she should not have had her spies looking in on things that don’t concern her. That’s one thing that angers me; when someone puts their nose where it doesn’t belong, but that’s a whole other story. Listen to me ramble on this. Come, Burd, lead me to the Countess!”

Burd guided us up a flight of stairs and into hallway where we came to the entrance to the Countess’s chambers. Of course the door was locked and Burd called to Narina Carvain.

“My lady, Count Hassildor is here to speak with you. May he come inside for a moment?”

There was no response from within and Burd once again asked, “Your highness, the Count of Skingrad has come to talk with you. May I let him in?”

Again there was no answer and Burd knocked on the door loudly. He then tried to open the door but of course it was still locked. He was beginning to panic.

“What if something’s wrong with her, Janus? We have to get the door open!”

“Calm down, Burd, her depression has probably elevated to new heights. It’s quite possible that she has fully separated herself from the world.”

But Burd wasn’t listening. He had already dug his hands in his pocket, obviously looking for something. Then he pulled out a large ring of keys and began fumbling through them. He found one in particular and stuck it into the keyhole of the Countess’s door. The lock made a click noise that I was most familiar with, and the door swung open. Inside the Countess was sitting at her desk with her back turned to us, slumped to the side a bit. I feared the worst.

“My lady!”

Burd ran over to the Countess’s chair and swung it around. A dagger was stuck in the chest of Narina Carvain. She truly had committed suicide.

“No!” Burd yelled while checking Narina’s pulse. It was no use of course and soon everything settled into Burd’s head.

“I should have forced myself into the room yesterday. I knew something wasn’t right. It’s my entire fault...I….I should have done more to prevent this!”

Martin and I watched from the doorway as Burd actually began to sob loudly. He was now on his knees and was grasping Narina’s hands. It was kind of pathetic really. I know he feels bad about the Countess, but to see him in his current state was a bit nerve racking; almost as if he was close to becoming just as Narina had become. But Hassildor wasn’t going to have any of that.

“Get up from the floor, Burd! Have some control over yourself!”

Burd slowly got up from the ground and let go of Narina’s hands. I looked at her eyes, which were still open. There was no shock whatsoever; the wound was definitely self-inflicted, that much was for sure. But what was the reason for the drastic decision? Obviously she was stressed at by everything, but could have really been to the point to where she wanted to kill herself. It just didn’t make any sense to me.

“I’m not going to let you turn into what Narina has become; and do you know what that is? Dead, that’s what she has become! Look at her, Burd, do you want to end up like that?”

Burd shook said slowly. He was still crying, but not as loudly as before thankfully.

“I didn’t think so. Now get and alert the guards of what has happened. We’ll have a funeral for her tomorrow evening. This is all so sudden…I just don’t know what to think. This isn’t good, that’s for sure.”

Burd left the room and only the three of us remained.

“What now?” Martin asked Hassildor.

“I don’t know; I never would have thought anything like this could have ever happened. This…..this is a bad time. Bruma is now leaderless and Mankar’s army is certainly marching this way as we speak. We have to make preparations for whatever is to come. We will indeed give Narina Carvain a burial out of respect for her and her people, but as soon as that is over our focus will be the defense of Bruma. The fate of Cyrodiil rests in our hands. You two do know that don’t you?”

Martin and I nodded.

“Good, I’m glad someone is acting normal around here. I just can’t believe it…Narina committing suicide…Burd crying like a child. I know these times are difficult for him but he needs to show some backbone. He is in command of the city now, and the people need a strong willed leader that can give them victory. Burd certainly has the attributes to fill that position, but I might have to work with him. He was very close to Narina.”

“Why don’t you lead the people?” I asked.

“Because they know Burd personally; they don’t know me other than I am the Count. It wouldn’t be a smooth move for me to take control of everything. I will certainly stand back and help Burd. That is why I came here, to help. And as for that amulet there,” he said pointing to Martin’s pocket, “Let’s me have the amulet. It will be safe with me.”

Any other request and I would have been fine, but he just asked to have the Amulet of Kings. Nobody besides Martin and I have held it. Now he was requesting something that I wasn’t sure I was going to let Martin answer.

“Why do you want the amulet? Why can’t Martin have it?” I asked, a little too defensively.

“Because it will remain safe with me. I take it you and Martin are going to help the others fight, am I correct?”

“I will, but I don’t think Martin should. Even if he doesn’t want to be Emperor he is the last Septim. I don’t think it would be smart to send the last heir to battle, do you?”

Hassildor could see right through me. He knew that suddenly I did not trust him. I can’t explain it but ever since Alf’s betrayal I vowed never to let anyone else do the same. I realize Hassildor has been on our side even before that, but he wanting the amulet seemed a little suspicious to me.

“Give me the amulet, Martin,” Hassildor commanded at Martin, but keeping his angry eyes on me.

Martin did not move or say anything.

“I said give me the amulet, Martin. I will not ask you again. I am only doing this for the good of Cyrodiil, I swear it! From what you have told us, Rayden, Mankar thinks Martin has the amulet. It only makes sense to let me have it.”

Martin looked at, then back at Hassildor, then to me once, and then back once again to Hassildor. He was having an incredibly hard time deciding and after several seconds he reluctantly handed over the amulet to Hassildor.

“’I’ll let you cool down for a few minutes, Rayden, but once you’ve cleared your head I want to see you and Martin outside in the courtyard. I will call for Burd and the four of us shall discuss what to do from here,” Hassildor said as he walked out the door, leaving me and Martin by ourselves.

“I’m sorry Rayden, but he has a point you know…”

I was so furious with Martin. It was almost as if he betrayed me with his actions. I couldn’t even begin to describe how angry I was.

“How long have we known Janus, Martin? Two days, maybe? How can you hand him the Amulet of Kings and not think you’re doing something wrong?”

“How long have you known me, Rayden?” Martin pleaded. “You’ve barely known me for long and already you’ve put all your trust in me. Things like this happen, Rayden. I know you’re still sour from what Alfhedil did, but that’s different. It’s hard to trust someone once you’ve been betrayed, but that’s life! Sometimes you’ve got to let things go and move on!”

“I can’t, Martin. How am I supposed to do that with everything that’s happened? It was hard enough making friends with you and trusting you! I’ve been on my own for as long as I can remember. I am a loner, I don’t make friends or trusts, it’s just the way I am!”

“Well get over yourself! I’m tired of taking your side every time something doesn’t go your way! By Talos, I can’t even begin to describe how selfish you are sometimes. Don’t you think Hassildor wants what’s best for Cyrodiil? You can’t see it in his eyes and hear it in his voice? He is on our side, Rayden; OUR side! The sooner you learn that the better…..”

Martin stormed past me and left the room. I was now the only person in the room other than Narina’s body. I felt totally awful at the moment, like I was the lowest person in all of Tamriel. Martin was right; I was too caught up in my image and reputation to fully see what’s going on. He’s right, Hassildor is not the enemy; he is probably our greatest ally. It’s high time I start listening to everyone else and stop acting like such a brat. Granted I am still not going to trust every person I come across, but…it is time for me to change. I am no loner a petty thief so I’d better stop acting like one. If I don’t I am afraid nobody will trust me, and then I’ll taste some of my own medicine. That’s something I definitely don’t want.

“Excuse me, sir, but we need to move the Countess’s body,” A guard told me, who was accompanied by five others.

“Of course, let me get out of your way.”

The guards entered the room with a long wooden plank. I suspected that they would place the body on the wood and then they would likely take her to the Chapel undercroft where she would be dressed for the burial, not there I go again assuming things.

I left the soldiers to their work and exited the room. I had some apologies to announce…

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jan 8 2008, 07:54 AM
Post #57

Master
Group Icon

Looks like the troubling times are causing many changes in your characters. Makes sense. Hopefully from now on these changes end up being good ones else they'll end up like the Countess there. Right now you paint a very grim picture for the last defense of Cyrodil.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jan 8 2008, 09:52 PM
Post #58

Master
Group Icon

This update was great. Character development all over.

Oh, and I love the urinator. biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jan 8 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #59

Agent

OH! That was great.
So sad about the countess though, she was one of my favorites. I always liked Bruma. It has alot to offer. Oh well, what can you do!

Anyway, all these soldiers and defenses makes me happy! I always loved a good battle and hopefully we might get one!
Another grand chapter indeed!
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Jan 12 2008, 04:57 AM
Post #60

Knower
Group Icon

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

When I had left Narina’s room earlier I did not look the soldiers in the eye; I was simply too embarrassed to make eye-contact. I had been humiliated by Martin, but for good reason. I am not complaining about being reprimanded. I only blame my self for my ignorant ways, and sooner or later I’m going to have to snap out of this imaginary world I live in; one where I think everyone is the enemy and only I am right. Paranoia is an excellent word that describes my situation. I think everyone is out to get me, because I am thief I suppose.

Martin was surely angrier with me right now than he has ever been, and there was no doubt in my mind he was apologizing to Janus for my childish ways, and he too probably isn’t my number one fan at the moment. I would have to make amends and hope to Talos they take my offer seriously. I know I have already apologized to Martin for something in the past, and I just hoped I wasn’t about to lose Martin’s respect because of my actions.

It’s just that everything is starting to affect me mentally. Granted I am in no way losing my mind, but the stress is mounting faster than I ever though it would. The fate of the entire province, maybe even the entire world, rests on my shoulders and my shoulders alone. I say mine alone simple because in my mind there are two scenarios that can happen. Either One, I somehow am able to slay Mankar and end the Mythic Dawn threat; or two, Mankar will at last eliminate me and end all hope for Cyrodiil. I may sound cocky, I realize that, but I swear to you in the chapel pew I am now sitting in it is only confidence. I’ve always been that way. No matter what anyone else says, I firmly believe it’s going to come down to just the two of us: Mankar and I alone.

Now, as I sit here in the pew like I have told you, I am concentrating hard on deciding what to say to Martin and Hassildor. I have once again insulted really the only friend I have ever had, and I have essentially called Janus a traitor. Those two things are going to be very hard to forgive, but if we are going to even have a remote chance of effectively defending the city, we all need to be on the same terms.

I’ll make my apologies and admit I was being a bit hasty with all of my accusations, but after that our entire focus should be the Mythic Dawn. I know Janus and Burd are thinking this as well. In fact, they probably don’t even care how I feel either way. And Martin, well, I’m not sure what he’s going to do during the battle. I myself will probably go and look for Mankar personally, but I guess that depends on what Burd and Janus want of me. Obviously they are the two leaders now, and I’ll admit it will take a while getting used to being bossed around. I may not like it at first…okay, I will hate it at first…but it’s only for the best.

I had been thinking so deeply that I did not even hear the former Count of Skingrad slip into the chapel. Nor did I sense his presence behind me either. My face was in my hands and I was feeling quite bad about everything I had done when I heard the familiar raspy voice, “Rayden, we need to talk.”

I turned around Janus was standing behind me with his arms behind his back, seemingly in deep thought as well. I started to speak and apologize for my mistakes, but he held up a hand, silencing me.

“I am not here for an apology, I am here to discuss a plan Burd and I have conjured up. Listen to me and please do not interrupt. I will not lie to you and say nothing is wrong. I am not happy with the way you acted in Narina’s chambers. You assaulted me and claimed me a liar and a traitor, two things I am most definitely not. While I am extremely displeased with your hot-headed attitude, I will also not lie and say you are unimportant. That is far from the truth.”

Janus had now walked around and was sitting right beside me. I had expected to see anger in his face, and though he made it clear he was unhappy with me, he wasn’t scolding me like had originally anticipated.

“Whether you know so or not, you are our only hope against Mankar. We can likely defend this city for a while, but the Mythic Dawn’s numbers will not dwindle. They’ll keep coming and coming until there is nobody to defend us anymore. That is where you come in.”

I was definitely interested in what he had to say. Like I had thought myself it was I who would have the final shot of swaying the war to our side.

“Mankar’s troops will be here soon. I believe we can defend our selves for some time given the city’s strong defenses, and the fact that Mankar’s troops are not accustomed to Bruma’s cold whether, whereas Burd’s troops obviously are. We can possibly hold out for a few days, maybe a little more, but sooner or later they will split through our defenses and enter the city, and when that happens, all hope will be lost. We can retreat to the mountains but we wouldn’t last long. Burd has something in mind, and I agree with him totally. But I’ll let him explain more.”

I did not say a word. I simply sat in my seat looking Janus in the eye. I could tell he was hiding his true feelings. He really wanted to lash out and yell at me for acting the way I did back in Narina’s chambers, it was clear on his face that he was doing his best to keep the anger bottled up inside.

“Janus, let me speak as well. You might not want to hear it, but I am going to apologize whether you like it or not, I…”

“See, there you go again, Rayden. Whether I like it or not? I know you don’t mean as bad as you sound, but you come off as rude all the time. It’s very agitating and one should not talk to anyone the way you do sometimes, especially towards those higher than you. Whether you are actually rude or not remains to be seen, but that doesn’t matter right now. Quite frankly I could care less whether you sorrowful or not, because right now my focus is the Mythic Dawn and the defense of Bruma, nothing else. Let’s go outside and speak with Burd.”

I was hit hard by his words, for the first time I was becoming emotionally attached. Never before in my life have I once cared what people think about me, but that was a different and terrible time of my life. I know that now, ever since my life was turned upside down when I found that amulet. Living like a thief is no lifestyle to be proud of. I’ve been trying to persuade myself all my life that it is, but the sad truth is that it is most definitely not.

Janus and I stood up from the pew and exited the quiet chapel. Outside Burd was rounding up the troops near the side exit of the city, close to a small inn. Snow was pouring down from the sky faster than I could count and the cold wasn’t getting any warmer if you know what I mean. The two of us walked over to Burd, who turned to us and said, “There you are, Rayden. I take it Janus has told you your mission.”

“No, sir, he wanted you to explain the details.”

“Very well, follow me into the castle so that I may talk to the two of you in the warmth of the fireplace. This cold is starting to affect even me!”

So we left the soldiers to follow another officer’s commands, while the three of us entered the castle. There weren’t as many guards milling about as there was before when I first met Captain Burd, only two in fact I noticed, after taking a closer look. They were both Imperials and were standing next the throne, staring straight ahead. As we walked towards the throne I couldn’t help but think something seemed weird about the two soldiers. I don’t know, but they just look out of place for some reason.

Burd sat down in the throne chair and nodded at the two soldiers. They nodded back and that’s when I noticed the two were sweating profusely, and one of the soldiers’ hands was shaking as well. Something was up, but I didn’t want to make a scene. Then again…..

I put my hand on my blade holder, but not making it look obvious. It’s a good thing I did, because as soon as Burd began to speak on the soldiers unsheathed their blade and raised it high into the air. But I was too quick and ready; I lunged forward and shoved my rusty dagger up the man’s throat. He fell to the ground clutching his bloody neck, desperately gasping for breath. Then I turned around to face the other soldier, who I assumed was going to attack as well. But he wasn’t attacking; he had already dropped his blade to the floor and was raising his hands in the air as if to show a sign of surrender.

“Please…d-d-don’t kill me…PLEASE!”

Burd had previously called for help beforehand, apparently while I was shoving my dagger into the other soldier’s throat, for the castle door busted open and in came a large group of yellow uniforms. Burd ordered for them to take the other would-be-assassin into the custody, and they did just that. Afterwards Burd was too much in shock to say anything, other than throw the traitor into the dungeon. The man was taken away and things had all of a sudden got even more confusing.

“Can someone tell me what just happened here?” Burd asked while two soldiers were examining the body of the dead attacker.

“It seems Mankar has men inside the city,” Janus bluntly replied.

“No, there’s no way. I don’t believe that for a second. It’s just impossible to think a Bruman would ever even ponder the idea of betraying their people,” Burd defiantly insisted.

“I’m not so sure about that, Captain. I’ve talked to Mankar personally before. He told me that he had inside people for every city that he’s captured. It only makes sense for him to have the same connections for this city as well. I know it’s hard to believe that your own men would betray you, but these are trying times. Occasionally people find themselves in a situation that they’d do anything to get out of. Mankar has already proven his fear could be used as a deadly tool; perhaps even more deadly than a blade,” I commented, though Burd was still determined to prove his men’s loyalty.

“No, no, no. That cannot be. I just…there’s no…I mean, how could something like this happen. I just don’t understand how something like this could penetrate the ranks of my own soldiers.”

“We need to interrogate that soldier, Burd, before someone ‘does away’ with him, if you know what I mean.”

Burd was confused by Janus’s words, but I knew very well what the old man was getting at.

“What he’s saying Burd, is that whoever contracted those men onto Mankar’s side will likely murder them now that the one man has been caught and is now in prison.”

“So, Rayden, you think there’s someone else in the city who’s working directly with Mankar?”

“Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying. Mankar is an extremely intelligent being. This sounds just like him to have someone on the inside. It all makes sense if you think about it.”

Burd thought about what Janus and I had said and then order one of his soldiers, “Round up the civilians and bring them here. I shall have one of my officers speak with them and ask them question pertaining what has just happened. I will take these two with me into the dungeon to interrogate the prisoner.”

The soldier took off into the snowy coldness, and then Burd stood up from his throne.

“Follow me please.”

--------------------
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:37 PM