23 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 20 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Morrowind Mischiefs, A Characters Update thread
ghastley
post Jul 26 2018, 08:34 PM
Post #341

Councilor
Group Icon

The Solstheim witches have levelled summoning spells, so it's dependent on your level what you get. Also, ranged characters can often defeat the witches before they get the chance to summon at all.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jul 27 2018, 09:01 PM
Post #342

Councilor
Group Icon

I should rephrase that. Igodah knows how to deal with bonewalkers. She's got Blessed Touch (basically turn undead) and she can also deal fire damage to them. They are tough, but eventually they fall. Problem she was having was in that one tomb, all the bonies kept respawning, every time she had to go outside and heal. Healing takes usually 15-16 hours. By then, all the bonewalkers have returned. indifferent.gif

She did find another sacred tomb though, and she was able to make enough headway into it that she could rest while in the tomb, which prevented any undead from coming back.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 2 2018, 10:55 PM
Post #343

Councilor
Group Icon

21 Frost Fall (Day 68) late morning: Igodah begins the trek back to Balmora, but discovers Ulummusa first. This is a cave she hasn't been in yet, so the Siege of Ulummusa now begins, heh heh.... bluewizardsmile.gif

First encounter is a Dunmer, so it's a good thing Igodah has a cold touch spell. Fire is no good against dark elves, Igodah learned this long ago, and quick.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 2 2018, 11:01 PM
Post #344

Ancient
Group Icon

Isn't it interesting how Fire is pretty much the go to element in Oblivion and Skyrim, but the red-haired step-child in Morrowind? Likewise, Cold is good in Morrowind, but practically useless in Ob and Sky because of how many critters in those games have a resistance to it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 3 2018, 01:07 AM
Post #345

Councilor
Group Icon

Yeah, good point, SR. Yes, in Skyrim you've got nords and a lot of undead which are immune or resistant.

That cave Igodah was trying to conquer (Ummagumma or whatever it's called) is too tough for her right now. So she's headed to Balmora. She's going to try to enchant some of her gear with Shield spells. I think that'll be a good start, to get her robe, her gantlets, belt, and boots enchanted, what do you all think? She's got 940 gold right now. That should be a nice start.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 3 2018, 01:49 AM
Post #346

Ancient
Group Icon

Animals in Skyrim and I believe Oblivion are immune to Frost as well. Though at least in Skyrim they added those secondary effects, and the slow effect of Frost can make it a real pain when it is used against you. Especially if you are melee character trying to run down a fleeing mage.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 3 2018, 04:20 PM
Post #347

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Aug 2 2018, 08:07 PM) *

Yeah, good point, SR. Yes, in Skyrim you've got nords and a lot of undead which are immune or resistant.

That cave Igodah was trying to conquer (Ummagumma or whatever it's called) is too tough for her right now. So she's headed to Balmora. She's going to try to enchant some of her gear with Shield spells. I think that'll be a good start, to get her robe, her gantlets, belt, and boots enchanted, what do you all think? She's got 940 gold right now. That should be a nice start.

I haven't seen Ummagumma mentioned for ages. That was the Pink Floyd album that gave us "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" - best title of all time!

Was there a Pict in your cave?

This post has been edited by ghastley: Aug 3 2018, 04:21 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 3 2018, 04:25 PM
Post #348

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Aug 3 2018, 11:20 AM) *

I haven't seen Ummagumma mentioned for ages. That was the Pink Floyd album that gave us "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" - best title of all time!

Was there a Pict in your cave?

rollinglaugh.gif

... was wondering if anyone else knew of this Pink Floyd reference! Syd Barrett would be proud.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 8 2018, 12:37 AM
Post #349

Councilor
Group Icon

28 Frost Fall (Day 75) 4 p.m. Igodah is back in Pelagiad, brewing up a batch of potions. Most of these are for sale. Her money situation has definitely improved over the weeks, since she's constantly got almost a thousand gold at all times.

She ascended to Level 7 too. I dropped +3 into Intelligence, +2 into Willpower, and +2 into Speed.

She has also given up on the idea of become some great enchanter. Enchanting is really tough in this game, if it's not a Major skill. So instead, she's going to learn how to Paralyze! Paralyzation has always struck me as something very evil mages would do. None of my others (except maybe Mycharonna in Skyrim, and maybe one witch I had in Oblivion) use anything which causes complete immobilization like this. Such an EVIL way to go about things. But you know what?

ph34r.gif

This post has been edited by Renee: Aug 8 2018, 12:42 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Aug 8 2018, 11:32 AM
Post #350

Master
Group Icon

By learning paralyzation spells Igodah stepped on the path of evil...

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 13 2018, 08:30 PM
Post #351

Ancient
Group Icon

Khajiit would argue that paralysis spells aren’t evil in and of themselves; it depends on how they are used.

For instance:
A mage could cast paralysis when attacked by a bandit and then walk away without doing any lasting harm to said bandit.

A witch could lure a passerby into her lair, cast paralysis on them and then torture them to death.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Aug 13 2018, 08:37 PM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 14 2018, 04:37 PM
Post #352

Councilor
Group Icon

I will put it like this: compared to a lot of my others who would choose not to totally disable their opponents, Igodah comes across as more evil than some of them. emot-ninja1.gif At least some of my other evils allow their enemies to fight back, know what I mean? But in the end, she's not really any worse or better than they are. They stay in their caves, while she's the one who's really the invader.

As it turns out though, Paralysis as sold by many vendors is not enough. The standard spell sold by several Mages Guild associates costs 95 gold, and only paralyzes for 5 seconds. Igodah has a 100% chance of casting this spell (no failure) but by the time the enemy is disabled and she's hit it with a couple destruction spells, the paralysis is already wearing off. indifferent.gif So she thinks the answer will be to get into Spellmaking, to create a longer-lasting version than 5 seconds.

I had an epic moment with her yesterday, by the way, as a rainstorm struck Maryland. She was mixing up a batch of potions, and the game informed me she'd made 45 in Alchemy, and she should "rest and meditate on what she has learned." Yesss!!!! Level 7. But that's not all. 45 is apparently Journeyman in this game, not 50 as in later games. This means she now knows three effects of each ingredient instead of two. What does this mean? It means all the extra ingredients she's been carrying around for weeks quickly got used up. Boiled and ground into potions & poisons. smile.gif And more potions / poisons for sale means more money!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 14 2018, 05:15 PM
Post #353

Councilor
Group Icon

One thing I liked about the way Morrowind does Alchemy is that combining ingredients makes the same potion/poison whether you know the effects or not. It never made sense in Oblivion that the same mix got different results just because you knew more about it. blink.gif

I was never much good at figuring out effects I didn't yet know from that, but apparently it's possible.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 15 2018, 12:57 AM
Post #354

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Aug 14 2018, 12:15 PM) *

One thing I liked about the way Morrowind does Alchemy is that combining ingredients makes the same potion/poison whether you know the effects or not. It never made sense in Oblivion that the same mix got different results just because you knew more about it. blink.gif

My daughter's taken some chemistry in high school. It's all about durations and amounts. How much of something mixed together for how long. Some elements and molecules have a very finite sense of time. Mix them together at one temperature, under certain conditions, and you'll get a certain result. Mix them under other conditions, something much different can happen. I dunno, a lot of it flies over my head. I just assume (in the game) it's the alchemist refining his or her techniques.

I get what you're saying though. I like the way Skyrim does alchemy, too. No effects are known at all unless the character eats them, or experiments in the correct way. That's my favorite method, I think.

Igodah is in Ald'Ruhn and just visited the Khajiit who runs the Spellmaking department. Upped her Paralyze spell from 5 seconds to 15. Cost 231 gold. Only problem is now there's an 84% chance of success instead of 100%. But heck, 84 is pretty decent odds during most fights. Bring on the pwnage. bluewizardsmile.gif

This post has been edited by Renee: Aug 15 2018, 01:01 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 2 2018, 02:05 AM
Post #355

Councilor
Group Icon

I rolled yet another nu t00n! viking.gif His name is Armand Hammer. It is 17 Last Seed in his gameworld, and Armand spends his first day in Seyda Neen doing some eradications, walking around killing mudcrabs and kwama foragers with his brand-new iron warhammer.

After walking around a bit ridding nuisances, he also stumbles upon a fallen tax collector guy. Wow. 200 gold. Now Armand can afford to buy that ringmail cuirass, along with some other armor pieces. He walks out the tradehouse looking good, and wearing chitin on his hands and shoulders, an Imperial chain helmet, and Nordic fur boots.

Addamasartus, anyone?

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 2 2018, 04:02 AM
Post #356

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Aug 14 2018, 07:57 PM) *

No effects are known at all unless the character eats them,

That is kind of rough when figuring out what cyanide does! ohmy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Sep 2 2018, 01:25 PM
Post #357

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 2 2018, 03:05 AM) *
After walking around a bit ridding nuisances, he also stumbles upon a fallen tax collector guy.
If Armand is in a quest-mood, it's possible to track down the guy who had killed the tax collector.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 2 2018, 04:27 PM
Post #358

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Sep 2 2018, 08:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 2 2018, 03:05 AM) *
After walking around a bit ridding nuisances, he also stumbles upon a fallen tax collector guy.
If Armand is in a quest-mood, it's possible to track down the guy who had killed the tax collector.

And get yourself a lovely sea-side home while you are at it!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 14 2018, 10:05 PM
Post #359

Councilor
Group Icon

23 Last Seed (Day 8) 2 p.m. -- Armand Hammer is in Ebonheart, and not exactly loving life in Morrowind so far. Half the people hate him in Vivec City, and other than killing nuisance creatures, he can't seem to get anything done.

He joined the Fighters Guild, for instance, yet can't finish up the first quest. Why? Because the orc who's supposedly carrying a certain ring REALLY does not like Armand. Because Armand's Personailty is only 30, that's definitely part of it. I remember breezing through this first quest with my dark elf from last summer.

Armand also can't join the Imperial Legion right away. There's supposed to be another town which has its own Imperial fort. Apparently in this other town, Armand can join, but the name of the town is one we havn't heard of before (Not me, not Igodah, certainly not Armand).

So for now, Armand Hammer draws Creature Duty. Walking outside of Ebonheart with his BIG iron warhammer, looking for nuisance creatures to beat asunder.

This post has been edited by Renee: Sep 14 2018, 10:09 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Sep 14 2018, 10:33 PM
Post #360

Master
Group Icon

Nobody likes poor Armand. biggrin.gif

Armand can try taunting the Orc for as long until he attacks though that requires lots of saving & loading if one's Speechcraft skill is low. Or he can just pwn the guy and serve his time. But I guess Armand isn't as evil, so just forget my suggestions. wink.gif

IIRC to join the Legion, you need to travel to Gnisis which is far indeed but by traveling by silt striders he can get there directly.

--------------------
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:59 PM