5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Skyrim Mod Questions
Acadian
post Jul 13 2014, 12:33 PM
Post #21

Paladin
Group Icon

No modded areas. It's definitely something different about the critters themselves. As I said, I haven't tested that many but here is what I reliably see:

Flame atronachs and sabre cats follow through doors.

Wolves, foxes, familiars (wolf) don't.

In Oblivion, critters needed an intelligence of 30 or higher to go through doors but obviously that doesn't translate to Skyrim. In the CK, I don't see any readily apparent 'follows through doors' or such box to check.

Edit: Did a bit more testing. Bears can be added to the list of critters that will follow you through doors. None of the canines though, it appears - not familiars, wolves, foxes; again, I'm wondering if there is something simple I could change so they would follow like the cats and bears do.

This post has been edited by Acadian: Jul 13 2014, 08:33 PM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 8 2014, 09:04 PM
Post #22

Councilor
Group Icon

Acadian, I’ve been working on my Ulfe mod and I found something to check for your conjured critters who can’t follow through doors. Open their race and look under the General Data tab. In the middle there’s a check box for Can’t Open Doors.

Now here I must emphasize that I don’t know if allowing the summoned canines to open doors will let all of the wolves of Skyrim enter buildings. In my mod I made a separate race for Ulfe to avoid such exciting surprises. ohmy.gif Anyway I hope that helps!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 8 2014, 10:05 PM
Post #23

Paladin
Group Icon

Grits! You're my heroine! That worked perfectly. Sure enough the bear and sabre cat races have that box set so they can go through doors. My interest is in the fox race more than the dog and wolf races. Sure enough the fox race had the box set to preclude going through doors So I changed it for the fox race, tested it in game, and Buffy's little fox now follows her perfectly through doors!

We've been debating between sabre cats, bears and foxes. This is just our observations purely from a perspective of what best suits Buffy -

Sabre cats are too unreliable for Buffy. She's been hammered too many times while the cat is just deciding whether to get up from his nap or not. And he gets in the way of her bow by jumping up unpredictably.

Bears are actually quite reliable. Even though they sleep alot, they get up quickly to follow and stay close. They are big and can get in the way though requiring quite a bit of caution with Buffy's bow. They're also noisy, but we use a mod to dramatically lower the roaring and grunting volume of follower bears.

Foxes are incredibly attentive and reliable. They remind us of a clannfear in that they are reliable foe-seeking missiles. They rapidly inject themselves between Buffy and a foe and do a great job of keeping he foe occupied. They're small and stay low so shooting over them is easy. The fact that they do poor damage is actually good for Buffy and helps define their roles. The fox pins/distracts the foe in place so Buffy can do the killing. We've found that it makes for a superb team. Using the 'familiar visuals' like you helped me achieve simulates a magic shielding aura to account for the fact that our foxes take little damage (while also dealing out little damage). The biggest downside was that they couldn't follow through doors. Now they can! Another consideration is (as ever), Superian. A fox doesn't scare the other horses when Buffy pulls into a stable. tongue.gif

Another Superian consideration is that Buffy's critters are 'summoned' and 'unsummoned' by equipping and unequipping a ring - the primary benefit of that is that they can be 'summoned' from the saddle.

Anyway, thanks so much again for finding that gem of a tweak in the CK and posting it!

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 8 2014, 11:12 PM
Post #24

Ancient
Group Icon

Congrats Grits on lighting the bulb that illuminated that problem! Often the smallest, simplest thing is the one that is our stumbling block.

As ever, you make very concise observations Acadian. I found with Mielikki that the bears were also excellent summons. Even though like you noted, they are so big they can get in the way. I am reminded of Oblivion, where I found that the boars were an ideal summoning for an archer - because like the clannfears and Sky foxes - they went straight for the enemy. They were also so low to the ground that you can always easily shoot over their heads. The Sabre Cats in Sky are like the Lions in Ob. They have that nasty habit of jumping up right when you shoot.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 9 2014, 01:38 PM
Post #25

Paladin
Group Icon

Well, the 'can open doors' tweak has really helped Buffy's fox become more alive.

She's traveling with a very neat Bosmeri Bard companion named Anduniel, who is incredibly interactive and custom voiced with thousands of lines of professionally added dialogue and has her own story and quests. Sha has full sandbox AI and her own horse. Andie doesn't count as a follower, so Buffy can also travel with a vanilla follower of her choice. Right now, that is Brelyna.

Buffy has her fox, Andie summons a spriggan and Brie summons astronauts - so there is plenty of combat power.

Convenient Horses + King Coin's Followers Can Relax give vanilla followers full horse abilities and add sandboxing to thier AI - the combo really brings vanilla followers to life and we're very much liking it.

It's nice that Superian has the company of other horses, and a group of three means someone can always watch the horses.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 9 2014, 02:11 PM
Post #26

Councilor
Group Icon

I’m so glad that check box did the trick! I never considered a fox follower, but Buffy’s fox friend sounds wonderful. I’m debating my next adventure in the Creation Kit. A fox animal follower/pet for The Boy (I found a texture that looks just like the one who lives in my back yard), a skeever follower, or a summonable Ghost Fox? A fox familiar would suit Darnand who is far more clever than wise, but the idea of a handsomely retextured skeever trailing along after him is just delicious. Also The Boy has a lot of summer homework and should not be encouraged to play Skyrim right now. Hmm.

I’ve recently switched to Convenient Horses, and I just love it. My favorite feature is that now everyone rides their own horse. wub.gif

Another light bulb came on last night and I got Ulfe properly decked out in AleinSlof’s Better Dogs textures. I just had to make a new texture set! I’m still not sure what to do with the _s.dds file, though. Also Ulfe unexpectedly came along with Jerric without her recruit dialog, but she works. smile.gif

Edit: Lildereth has spoken up and shuffled my priorities. This is what happens when I leave her idle in Anvil for too long. Apparently Darnand’s inner Witch requires a stag familiar. Since they’ve all learned to summon wolves with SubRosa’s Nature Summoning Lil thinks that a Ghost Fox might make a nice Conjure Familiar replacer. And the whole gang wants a pet skeever for Darnand. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Grits: Aug 9 2014, 03:48 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 9 2014, 05:59 PM
Post #27

Ancient
Group Icon

The new and regroomed Ulfe looks marvelous! She is much more colorful than the vanilla dogs.

A summoned stag sounds neat. I never thought to use one of the normally prey animals for a summoning. But it works really well. Even if poor Darnand ends up with a rat instead! You could name his Scabbers...

An _s.dds file is a specular map. It determines how shiny a surface is. The blacker the color looks in the file, the less shiny the finished product will be. Add it to your new Texture Set. If there is a Specular line in the little graph area up at the top, select it, then click on the button down below to select the _s.dds file. You will see its full path name show up in the Texture field right next to the button.

If the Specular line is not there, I am not sure how to add it in. When I added Specular Maps for my Deadwalker Race, I copied a vanilla race texture set, and it was already there.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 9 2014, 06:03 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 9 2014, 07:38 PM
Post #28

Councilor
Group Icon

Thanks, I’ve been holding on to that texture forever. She’s really beautiful in the game! I can see Darnand getting stuck in a hall between a spectral stag and Jerric’s frost astronaut, lol. The fox familiar replacer was easy, so he might get his stag sooner than I thought. Oh, and funnily enough it seems that foxes are 0.6 scale. My first summoned fox was wolf sized!

Thank you for the specular map tip. There’s not a place for it in the texture set I made, so I’ll look around for a different set to copy. In the meantime if Ulfe’s coat looks especially lustrous and shiny we can blame it on Jerric’s refreshing homemade dog shampoo. tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 9 2014, 07:58 PM
Post #29

Ancient
Group Icon

Orange for cleaning, aloe vera for moisturizing, and lavender for a nice scent. Perfect!

That reminds me, I have been thinking of making a cooking mod for Skyrim that adds more recipes. Not for straight healing, but for special effects. I was thinking Chicken Soup would be perfect for a Cure Disease. I would like to do something with the Gourds as well, since they are not used for anything in the game. Maybe some kind of squash dish. The same with green apples (Granny Smiths, or maybe Granny Steiners wink.gif).

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 9 2014, 07:59 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 9 2014, 08:06 PM
Post #30

Paladin
Group Icon

Grits, I'm so glad you're having fun with critters! At 0.6, a fox is perfect to bite 'em on the knees while Lil shoots 'em in the chest. And I love the recipe for dog shampoo. Buffy and Jerric will have to swap recipes for grooming products. It's nice to see that, despite his rough edges, Abiene and Lil have him a little bit domesticated. happy.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 11 2014, 01:15 PM
Post #31

Councilor
Group Icon

Found it! On the texture set page there are two check boxes, one of which puts a specular map entry in the list. Then you can click the entry and add the file. Thank you!

I’d love to see some more useful recipes, especially ones that use squash and clams. It seems I always have clam meat available. I was thinking about Three Sisters Stew for the squash, but Skyrim lacks beans and corn. D’oh! Chicken soup is perfect for Cure Disease.

Jerric’s friends have noticed that his coat is more nicely scented and lustrous since he started caring for Ulfe. I suppose now that he has shampoo and a brush handy he’s more likely to use them. tongue.gif Jerric could use Buffy’s advice for making shampoo in Skyrim. He starts off with juniper berries for astringent purposes but then he wants to add garlic for pest control! ohmy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 11 2014, 03:23 PM
Post #32

Ancient
Group Icon

When you said Three Sisters, the first thing I thought was the Inn in Leyawiin, with the three Khajiit sisters. The one who works, the one who worries, and the one is is mostly decorative. laugh.gif Then it clicked that you meant the Native American farming technique, which I even used in the TF!

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Aug 11 2014, 06:55 PM
Post #33

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Aug 11 2014, 07:15 AM) *

Jerric’s friends have noticed that his coat is more nicely scented and lustrous since he started caring for Ulfe. I suppose now that he has shampoo and a brush handy he’s more likely to use them. tongue.gif Jerric could use Buffy’s advice for making shampoo in Skyrim. He starts off with juniper berries for astringent purposes but then he wants to add garlic for pest control! ohmy.gif

OMG! So does that mean Ulfe's shampoo works on Big J because he's a dog, too? blink.gif

In any case, I'm thinking of creating a new recipe called Flea Repellent (after an ironically interesting conversation with a particularly Interesting NPC regarding her underappreciated canine companion). But first I need to find a Skyrim analogue for chrysanthemum. Works better than garlic and doesn't smell so bad! Though the garlic recipe would be useful against vampires . . . cool.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 11 2014, 07:37 PM
Post #34

Paladin
Group Icon

Add a few more hairs to Ulfe and you'd have a Nord! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 11 2014, 07:44 PM
Post #35

Councilor
Group Icon

laugh.gif

I do miss custom spell potion names. Cooking is a fantastic addition for roleplay, but we have a lot of fun in Oblivion with named potions.

Edit: Looks like I was tired. rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Grits: Aug 12 2014, 02:25 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Aug 17 2014, 06:00 PM
Post #36

Master
Group Icon

Hey everybody, I want to give dual casting a try.

The problem is that the mice I have don't support pressing both right and left buttons together - due to their physical configuration they support only either/or. So the dual casting, and the zoom perk in archery are lost on my character. She is beginning to experiment more with magic in this playthrough and I really want to give her that ability.

I do have a third-party mouse with distinct left/right buttons, but it is so jerky in its motion that I couldn't stand moving around the environment with it. So I went back to the standard Apple mice I have (Mighty Mouse, with a scrolling ball as the third button).

I tried searching on the Nexus to look for a mod that changes the way the mouse works when I'm dual equipped. I found this mod that sounds perfect for what I want to do, but it requires ScriptDragon. So far I've avoided mods that require this, because I'm not sure just what it is or how it will affect my game. I'm currently using SKSE and SkyUI and love what they do for my gaming experience.

Is there a simple way to modify the game (such as an ini edit) that allows me to dual-cast, zoom in archery, etc with either a single button press or even using the third button (scroll wheel) on my mouse? I really like the smooth movement and responsiveness of my Mighty Mouse and would like to keep using it.

Thanks!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 17 2014, 07:57 PM
Post #37

Ancient
Group Icon

Sorry, I didn't notice that you mentioned the scroll wheel. I thought it was the typical one button apple mouse that I used years ago when we had one at the computer store I used to work at. If it is the kind of scroll wheel that you can click like a button as well as spin, you might be able to map it to the left hand. Go to Controls, find the Left Hand, press space to select it, and then try clicking on your scroll wheel. It might work, it might not.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 17 2014, 07:58 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Aug 17 2014, 10:18 PM
Post #38

Master
Group Icon

Already tried that, it kept telling me it was already reserved.

I'm not sure if Boot Camp/Win 7 is reading that as a left/right button or if another mod in my load list is already using that. I haven't come across any actions that can be traceable to it, though.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Apr 12 2015, 04:02 AM
Post #39

Councilor
Group Icon

I just found an awesome plug-in the other day called New Animals and Fixes?, which adds a lot of new critters to the game, most of which are non-violent, or so I thought.

I've had a couple moose attack Claire, and I don't want this to happen, because I've been around moose when I lived on the west coast, they won't just attack humans. So I go into TES5 Edit, and try to see if I can change this. Oddly, moose are given an Aggression rating of Unaggressive, a Confidence rating of Cautious, Mood of Neutral .... nothing to suggest that they're anything but peaceful. Any idea how to fix this?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Apr 12 2015, 08:39 AM
Post #40

Master
Group Icon

Was it a one-time occurrence or moose in general attack Claire?

I've been using Real Wildlife which adds some new subspecies of animals as well, both hostile and non-hostile, however it's possible for non-hostile creatures to get aggressive if they get attacked and have to defend themselves. What I'm saying is, that it's possible that some other critter or enemy attacked and provoked these animals, that's why they're now aggressive towards Claire.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:36 PM