post Jan 24 2020, 07:18 AM
Post #821

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 22 2020, 05:45 PM) *

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jan 14 2020, 12:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Renee @ Jan 14 2020, 12:00 PM) *

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jan 14 2020, 11:42 AM) *

I just wish I'd had space for the 60-year old mainframe computer I was once offered. I could probably afford the electricity to run it now. ohmy.gif

... and the tool shed small warehouse to store it in.

Those things were enormous. The water cooling units wouldn't fit in the tool shed, let alone the computer itself. A tape drive was the size of a fridge/freezer, and a disk drive the size of a washing machine. The CPU unit was about the size of my shed. Most other peripherals were desk-sized, and you'd have a card punch, card reader, printer, all wired together with cables four inches thick.

The one I was offered had 16,000 bytes of memory, and 7MByte disks. I forget what the capacity of a twelve-inch reel of tape was. Not a lot, at only 200 bits/inch.

A company I worked for had one the size of a room = a Honeywell.

There was something odd about the Honeywells. The word size was incompatible between IBM 365 & 370 and the Honeywell. In the 1970's the company I worked for had two computer rooms; one IBM, one Honeywell. They were mine from midnight to around 7:00AM when the managers started to come in.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 24 2020, 04:09 PM
Post #822

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 23 2020, 01:52 PM) *

most of them just stick with Windows Defender-

Yep. Windows Defender was fine, until one day it wasn't. mad.gif Grr.....

QUOTE(macole @ Jan 24 2020, 01:18 AM) *

I just wish I'd had space for the 60-year old mainframe computer I was once offered. I could probably afford the electricity to run it now. ohmy.gif

Those things were enormous. The water cooling units wouldn't fit in the tool shed, let alone the computer itself. A tape drive was the size of a fridge/freezer, and a disk drive the size of a washing machine. The CPU unit was about the size of my shed. Most other peripherals were desk-sized, and you'd have a card punch, card reader, printer, all wired together with cables four inches thick.

The one I was offered had 16,000 bytes of memory, and 7MByte disks. I forget what the capacity of a twelve-inch reel of tape was. Not a lot, at only 200 bits/inch.

There was something odd about the Honeywells. The word size was incompatible between IBM 365 & 370 and the Honeywell. In the 1970's the company I worked for had two computer rooms; one IBM, one Honeywell. They were mine from midnight to around 7:00AM when the managers started to come in.

Between you and ghastley, we could have our own 1970s computer classes. laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 24 2020, 06:15 PM
Post #823

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 23 2020, 01:52 PM) *

This is something I read in the comment section of a youtube video. I'll repost it here because I think it sounds like good advice.

--------------------------

As a computer technician at a large corporation, I constantly have people bringing me their computers to be fixed, they never use Adblock they either use Chrome or Edge, most of them just stick with Windows Defender- don't have any spyware removal software, defragers, or any real cleanup tools on their computers. And almost all of them have the exact same issue, they clicked on some ad in something or a bad email, and then when their computer started acting slow they just kept restarting it.

First rule of business, if you think your computer is being hacked or your computer has a virus- do not restart your computer. Leave it up and running and sever the internet connection If somebody's hacking into your computer this will completely break their connection, and if it's a virus it will slow the spread. The next thing to do is to immediately clear cache on your browsers- all of it. Most viruses start in a cache folder, either audio cash or internet cash is their favorite point of entry.

Once you have severed your internet connection clear your cache if you still have control of your computer set Windows Defender to do a deep scan, if it wants to restart don't let it. When you restart you leave your computer wide open to attack during the boot up process. If it's a virus, if you can download even just the free version of avast or any of the other good ones like Malwarebytes, download it and run a deep scan. After you've completed these steps if the antivirus client fails to find anything, or your computer locks up and does not allow you to do anything, take your computer to the professionals to be cleaned up. And folks, always backup your computer.

Wow, this is some great advice! Thank you so much, Mirocu!!!! *Inserts bowing down emoticon*

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jan 23 2020, 04:07 PM) *

I'll chime in on defragging, since it's mentioned within your quote. SSDs and M.2s don't benefit from it. If anything, defragging can shorten their lives. I assume it's still beneficial for 'conventional' disk drives? That said, there 'might' be some benefit to defragging even SSDs to totally remove threats of infection, but I've never come across mention of it.

I use both Avast antivirus freeware and paid-for Malewarebytes. I like Avast a lot, except it's forever pushing its non-free software. Up until recently it also tried to sneak in Chrome browser every timer it upgraded itself. I don't allow that on my computers. As mentioned in the past, I feel Brave Browser is a better yet similar alternative. I still prefer Firefox, but Brave is a solid backup browser. In fact, I use it as a primary browser on my secondary computer, leaving Firefox for my brother's use during visits.

I've also heard that about not defragging my SSD drive; just to do it on my standard drive.

I used to use the Avast Freeware, and also used Malwarebytes = but I just used the free version of it. Since we moved in 2016 and changed carriers to Comcast I've just been using the Norton software that Comcast pipes to all their customers (they call it "free," but I'm sure it is included in your internet charges). Norton has such a good reputation; but I don't know how or why. I've always had crappy coverage with it.

This post has been edited by mALX: Jan 24 2020, 06:19 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 24 2020, 06:34 PM
Post #824

Ancient
Group Icon

Was that in Miami, Florida? That place I worked had two buildings with two different huge massive computers that were totally separate. I worked in the building with the Honeywell; and like Ghastley said = they used those Keypunch cards. The other building was the "elite" administrative = the top brass. They had the IBM. The two computers did not talk to each other; as far as I knew.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Jan 24 2020, 08:00 PM
Post #825

Master
Group Icon

Norton is so popular it's one of the first antivirus software to be worked around by a virus.

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 24 2020, 08:22 PM
Post #826

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Jan 24 2020, 02:00 PM) *

Norton is so popular it's one of the first antivirus software to be worked around by a virus.

Aha, that explains the issues then. ... urgh.

--------------------
+Quote Post
macole
post Jan 25 2020, 04:55 AM
Post #827

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 24 2020, 11:34 AM) *

Was that in Miami, Florida? That place I worked had two buildings with two different huge massive computers that were totally separate. I worked in the building with the Honeywell; and like Ghastley said = they used those Keypunch cards. The other building was the "elite" administrative = the top brass. They had the IBM. The two computers did not talk to each other; as far as I knew.

That was a bank in St. Louis MO. We did overnight data processing for 32 correspondent banks in the area. Yeah, in early 1970's there we loaded trays and trays of punch cards. Hard to imagine it's been so long ago.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 25 2020, 04:15 PM
Post #828

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(macole @ Jan 24 2020, 10:55 PM) *

That was a bank in St. Louis MO. We did overnight data processing for 32 correspondent banks in the area. Yeah, in early 1970's there we loaded trays and trays of punch cards. Hard to imagine it's been so long ago.

Some government agencies still use the Keypunch system; and also still use those ancient CRT's with the orange text and giant blinking square cursor too, lol.

This post has been edited by mALX: Jan 25 2020, 04:17 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
macole
post Jan 26 2020, 06:57 AM
Post #829

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 25 2020, 09:15 AM) *

QUOTE(macole @ Jan 24 2020, 10:55 PM) *

Some government agencies still use the Keypunch system; and also still use those ancient CRT's with the orange text and giant blinking square cursor too, lol.

Oh, the old green screen. Those were the days.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 14 2020, 07:11 PM
Post #830

Paladin
Group Icon

Well, a month or so ago I noticed that Puter's external speakers began displaying some distortion at moderate (or more) volume. Since my headphone/mic that does not go through the speakers was fine I theorized that it was just my old speakers going bad. A call to the place that built and maintains Puter generated concurrence with my theory. So I ordered a replacement pair of the same inexpensive Logitec speakers for about $9US. They arrived today and perfectly fixed the problem. Simple, inexpensive and done. I'm pleased that I didn't have to send up emergency flare signals asking for rescue by SubRosa or ghastley. tongue.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 14 2020, 07:14 PM
Post #831

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Sweet, glad you got it fixed!

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Feb 19 2020, 10:48 PM
Post #832

Mouth
Group Icon

Long story short, I've been getting a lot of BSODs (and multiple kinds) in the past week or so, and now it is a critical issue. My computer now only goes to the hardware diagnostics black-and-white screen and it is running a test now. I think Windows 10 updates may have still had something to do with it, but now I think it is mostly my hard drive. I'm not super computer savvy, but I guess it could be responsible for most or all the different BSODs. I've had the computer for 3 years now, which is about the start of the range of the average lifespan of a hard drive. I have both an SSD and HDD, so I don't know if it would be one or both that are an issue.

Hopefully I can get this resolved fairly quickly.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 21 2020, 01:04 PM
Post #833

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Feb 19 2020, 03:48 PM) *

Long story short, I've been getting a lot of BSODs (and multiple kinds) in the past week or so, and now it is a critical issue. My computer now only goes to the hardware diagnostics black-and-white screen and it is running a test now. I think Windows 10 updates may have still had something to do with it, but now I think it is mostly my hard drive. I'm not super computer savvy, but I guess it could be responsible for most or all the different BSODs. I've had the computer for 3 years now, which is about the start of the range of the average lifespan of a hard drive. I have both an SSD and HDD, so I don't know if it would be one or both that are an issue.

Hopefully I can get this resolved fairly quickly.

How did the 'test' go? Can you still reach Windows? If so, I believe there is free utility software that can determine the condition of drives. I've not researched those ages so don't know what exits or how good they are. Still, it might be worth investigating. Of course the problem could be any number of things, from simple to hard-to-diagnose.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Feb 21 2020, 08:16 PM
Post #834

Master
Group Icon

What? 3 year lifespan on hard drives? I used my old slow hdd for well over 10 years with no issues.

Though i suppose I'll need to upgrade at some point. I got her 3 years ago in January.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Feb 21 2020, 11:54 PM
Post #835

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Feb 21 2020, 07:04 AM) *

How did the 'test' go? Can you still reach Windows? If so, I believe there is free utility software that can determine the condition of drives. I've not researched those ages so don't know what exits or how good they are. Still, it might be worth investigating. Of course the problem could be any number of things, from simple to hard-to-diagnose.

It is with Geek Squad at the nearest Best Buy to me now. They'll be running diagnostics and doing a couple other things with it, so we'll see what they have to say. Unfortunately, it isn't projected to be ready until Monday afternoon, although it could be ready earlier than that. Here's hoping that it gets done sooner and that they don't have to do more tinkering with it beyond what they are doing for it now.

My tests that I was able to do on the computer didn't really come up with anything. I've already heard from several people that it could actually be the motherboard that's the problem. So I don't know.

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Feb 21 2020, 02:16 PM) *

What? 3 year lifespan on hard drives? I used my old slow hdd for well over 10 years with no issues.

Though i suppose I'll need to upgrade at some point. I got her 3 years ago in January.

Damn, that was one stubborn HDD. But 3-5 years or something like that is supposed to be the average lifespan, so I'm sure there are a bunch that go beyond that. And there's definitely going to be some that go below that average.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 22 2020, 09:19 AM
Post #836

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I've never had a HDD that only lasted that short period a time. Heck, my current Windows 7 is on its 11th year now and my Windows 3.1 lasted almost 25 years! Both being used on a regular basis btw. 3-5 years to me would be a lemon.

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Feb 22 2020, 08:37 PM
Post #837

Master
Group Icon

Yeah, I typically don't replace hard drives unless I'm doing a whole new build or buying a whole replacement.

I prefer not to. I must just have had incredible luck.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 22 2020, 09:48 PM
Post #838

Master
Group Icon

I too have had good luck with HDDs. Well, discounting one Western Digital 64gb that arrived defective. Luckily, I bought two identical HDDs, so sending the defective drive back for replacement didn't slow down that system build. Can't recall having one go bad during use, but might be forgetting something. Seems to me I might once have owned an HHD that began showing signs of going flaky, so ordered a replacement drive in ample time to transfer data before I'd lost anything worth mentioning.

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Feb 23 2020, 01:14 AM
Post #839

Mouth
Group Icon

Well, good news: My computer is back in my hands. Geek Squad finished up with it pretty quickly. It was definitely NOT the hard drive. However, they weren't entirely sure about the root cause of the BSODs. But they did a whole bunch of stuff like fix registry errors, put a new antivirus on my computer, deleted a lot of temporary files, updated drivers (which, when I tried that before, said they were up-to-date...), and a bunch of other things, and when they left the computer on for extended periods of time it did not crash. So it sounds like I am in the clear. Hopefully.

I'm quite pleased that they finished up with it way earlier than they anticipated. Haven't really tested the computer out yet, but I am using it right now as I type this.

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Feb 23 2020, 01:14 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 23 2020, 01:28 AM
Post #840

Paladin
Group Icon

Encouraging news, Rader! I hope it continues to hold up without problems for you. smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post

79 Pages V « < 40 41 42 43 44 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:29 AM