> The Crystal Beth Mage's Strategy Guide, A Guide for Skyrim College Mages
Lady Saga
post Apr 23 2012, 09:33 PM
Post #1

Mouth
Group Icon

The Crystal Beth Strategy Guide

PROLOGUE

Hello fellow guildmates. I am Crystal Beth, and today I'd like to talk about some ideas you might find useful. Ideas for strategy, that is. This book shall be written by me as inspiration strikes, but you are being allowed an unoffcial, unpublished peek into my works, for advancement purposes.

As pure mages, we are at a disadvantage when it comes to combat at close-quarters. Every magic-user knows this. So what I am doing today is to introduce ideas which you fellow College mages might find useful, if you are to actually find yourself dungeoneering some day.

You can cast spells all day and all night in the Hall of the Elements, fellow mages, but when it comes to a giant two-handed axe or a blade being swung in your face, you can possibly forget any chance of an immediate advantage. Just one blow from such a weapon can throw us off-balance, unable to properly aim and cast our spells. And further blows come quickly.

Let me share with you how we do it, in the High Elf way. I recently found myself betwixt in such a situation as printed above. Here is how I turned the tables.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1:

Turning the Tables

Place: Fort Neugrad

Hold: Falkreath

Date: Loredas, 4:27 PM, 17th of Morning Star, 4E. Year 201

In this situation, fellow mages, there were two sections to this fort known as "Neugrad". I managed to clear the first section easily, but found myself betwixt during the second, which featues two stories, both of them open towards the entrance of the place, as well as a narrow hallway. Walking into the place, a lone mage with no big weapons to speak of is at an immediate disadvantage.

I am now going to feature an easy-to-follow step-by-step. Study with purpose, and perhaps some-day, you too can find your-selves, "Turning the Tables".

1). Entered door. Up ahead is a man, a bandit. He readies his axe and before I know it, he's upon me. He only has maybe 20 to 30 feet to travel to get to me.

2). Run! Knowing my skills are at a disadvantage, that any spell I could possibly cast at that moment would be aimed wrongly, I simply leave the fort.

Now,, a lesser mage who has not advanced his or her spells can possibly keep running. There is no harm in this. It is self-preservation. Enemies in Skyrim typically do not follow us outside of dwellings as they do in Cyrodiilic-fashioned melees, for the Skyrim enemy knows he could lose his proper comfort zone.

If all you have got in your roster are a Candlelight and a Summon Wolf, it is best to run in thus situation. But for you more-advanced sorts who are skilled in multiple disciplines, read on...

I ran outside initially, then formulated a strategy. Since I now had a moment to strategize.

3). Protect yourself. In my case, I cast a Stoneflesh. If you have more-advanced flesh spells from the Alteration school, you can use what you haev. But beware, for as you know, stronger spells require greater magicka!

Now, I re-entered Fort Neugrad.

4). Turn the Tables. "If they tread thou with hatred, show them affection" once said an anoymous elven poet from the 3rd Era. For this step, I aimed, and then cast a Calm spell. Thus, the bandit came to me with hatred, and I showed him the errors of his ways. Taking care of this first bandit, causing him to be basically ineffective as a guard, proved to be the very key to opening the door to the place, and further taking down the rest of the enemies therein.

Calm is an under-rated spell, College mages. If you happen to be studying its effects, let it be known that amongst non-undead, Calm spells can immediately turn the tables.

With the first bandit calmed..

5). Time for a summons! A Flame Atronach can easily be cast, while the calmed bandit now walks around. Flame Atronach magic can be upped to Frost and Storm, have you the knowlege to cast them. But again, more advanced magics usually equal a greater magikca cost.

But the fight was still young, as there are other enemies about in Neugrad.

6). Lay a trap!. Rune Spells work great magic, and can be placed passively in a strategic area. Lay your rune upon an area in which it is guaranteed an enemy will need to tred. A narrow hall or causeway is an example and two. Putting a Rune on the side of a large room is risky. Chances are the enemy will never cross a wrongly-placed rune.

7).Use your position to cast furher spells from a distance. With one bandit calmed, several more fighting a summoned being, and a Fire Rune trap layed should anybody dare to get too close, the mage now has an advantage, so long as nobody gets near him or her. Firebolts, Calms, Fears, Furies, Ice Storms, and dozens of other ranged spells now come into play.

Let us complete a summary for our first lesson, mages.

>Protect your flesh before battle
>Calm or otherwise illusize your enemy
>Summon a creature
>Lay a trap
>Keep your spells in effect.
>Use your position to keep enemies at bay.

From this moment on, you have Turned the Tables upon your enemy. All of the spell effects mentioned above can easily be cast and re-cast, as our enemies struggle about.

I realize this first lesson is a slap to the face for those who have never been dungeon-eering. So let us break further chapters into morsels we can more-easily bite and digest.

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: May 1 2012, 08:34 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 24 2012, 12:23 AM
Post #2

Paladin
Group Icon

Nice to hear Crystal's methods and get a glimpse into magic during the Fourth Era. goodjob.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 24 2012, 01:20 AM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

Lots of solid tactics here. Speak wise one!

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Apr 24 2012, 01:51 AM
Post #4

Master
Group Icon

Oh I really liked this! It was different but still lots of fun to read.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Apr 24 2012, 02:01 AM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

I didn't write it. Beth did wink.gif Well, I wrote it, but she's the one who's head is filled with ideas like this. We originally were writing this in the Skyrim Happenings thread, and it just kept getting longer and longer...

I"m like: "Beth, do you want to write a book?" And she wasn't sure. laugh.gif But she wanted to write a chapter though.

But as I gamed with her tonight, she did think of a few new ways to present her "book", in a consise manner that the College's NPC's can safely understand. You'll see what I mean...
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Apr 24 2012, 02:06 AM
Post #6

Master
Group Icon

I can just see Beth at the Winterhold College speaking to some new apprentices. laugh.gif

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Apr 24 2012, 02:16 AM
Post #7

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Apr 23 2012, 09:06 PM) *

I can just see Beth at the Winterhold College speaking to some new apprentices. laugh.gif

The thing about Beth is she's pretty much an independent person. She's only joined the College because of the learning experience; she has no desire to "help" them figure out what to do with the strange, floating blue ball that now resides in the Hall of Elements. Therefore, she will not ever finish the main College questlines. She will not ever be Arch Mage. And she doesn't want this title.

She is not a leader, she is not really a follower either. She makes her own rules, and fills her own roster with activities. Her "main" quest right now, for instance, is to buy the house in Solitude. I have no idea why she wants it; it's ridiculously expensive.

But the bottom-line is this. Even though College mages do occasionally get out for some "field work", Crystal Beth really has all of them beat (she assumes) when it comes to getting out in the world and surviving. She thinks she's basically better than they are. See what I mean? Because she doesn't stand around the Winterhold/College area all day like they do.

+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 24 2012, 03:11 AM
Post #8

Councilor
Group Icon

This is really neat, Saga. Your character has something to share, and the two of you figured out how to do it! smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Andrea
post Apr 24 2012, 11:06 AM
Post #9

Evoker

Oh wow. I've never read anything like this before, but I LOVE IT!

I love the concept of Beth teaching through use of her own personal experiences, and she also has a quirky kind of wit in her writing which keeps me very interested and eager to learn more from her!

biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Apr 24 2012, 06:57 PM
Post #10

Mouth
Group Icon

It's a mess, to be honest. I know this. I wrote it off-the-cuff immediately as inspiration struck,...slam-bam...in a half hour most of the text was done. HOWEVER it is also supposed to be somewhat of a mess, somewhat disorganized, and open for criticism from other College mages.

Beth is writing this chapter by chapter while she's "on the road", you see. She's not a scribe who spends entire days writing in a quiet study; instead, most of these writing are being done as Beth travels from inn to inn, dungeon to dungeon. It shows. But it's supposed to show.

smile.gif

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Apr 24 2012, 06:58 PM
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Apr 24 2012, 08:00 PM
Post #11

Mouth
Group Icon

4:20 pm, Loredas, 17th of Morning star. Year 201 4th Era

IPB Image

On this date, Crystal Beth arrives at the College of Winterhold, and promptly presents the very first draft of the first chapter of what may become the very first "strategy guide for College mages" that she knows of. Sure, there are other books out there in publication (or out of it) written specifically for magic-users, but Beth's plan is to scribe up the very BEST of these. A guide any aspiring mage can open, read, and possibly use "in the field", to successfully survive amongst those multitudes of enemies.

She presents her writings directly to Arch Mage Aren himself, a bold move that Beth performs with outward confidence, but inward insecurity.

Pic: Savos Aren studying Crystal Beth's Journal

Being a High Elf helps at moments like these; there is an opinion amongst some of the Humans of Tamriel that the Altmer simply make the best mages. Beth uses this opinion to her advantage at times, without really trying very hard. Savos Aren is not a Human, of course, which is why Beth is a little nervous. She already has a reputation as an aspiring adventurer amongst the other College mages, Skyrim's guards, Skyrim's townspeople, and Skyrim's helpless. Even the Dark Brotherhood (and now the Thalmor) have taken keen notice about Beth's actions out in the lands. She knows this because every so often, she is attacked by a DB agent, or a group of Thalmor. These enemies always carry little notes about how to find and recognize their target.

Most of the early text Beth scribed up for her strategy guide was written in Falkreath, Beth concentrating over the usual singing bard, townie conversation, and other typical tavern noises. She managed her text without a door upon her room as well. Despite these problems, Beth wrote it up anyways. Inspiration does that sometimes.

As she approaches him, he looks up from his seat and says

"What you learn here will last you a life-time. Several if you're talented".

"Arch-Mage Aren. I apologize for barging in like this, but I've got something you might want to see"....

Arch Mage Savos Aren reads it over, raising his brows at points as Beth stands before him in his private chambers.

Savos Aren: "Nice! Very nice! EXCELLENT in fact! You my dear have provided an excellent first chapter!"

Crystal Beth: "Do you really think so, sir?"

"Abso-lutely! You have shown yourself to be an excellent talent! Why, this could be just the very thing we need to promote farewell of The College towards the average Skyrim citizen!"

"Of what do'st thou speak, Arch Mage?"

"As you may know, after the unfortunate circumstances which happened within recent years, most of Winterhold has been destroyed. It is because of this, and because The College itself somehow survived the unfortunate circumstances, that the majority of the Nordic population mistrusts us mages. We need everything we can possibly attain to perhaps perform a more positive image for us, here at the College."

"I do not understand".

"This book, when it is done, shall possibly display to the average Skyrim citizen that we here at The College are firmly commited to banishing any sorts of evils scourging the lands of Skyrim itself. As mages, we therefore have a responsibility. This is proof, wolf-sarah, that College mages, can, in fact, help keep Skyrim free! Free of bandits! Free of necromancers! Free of enemies! A free Skyrim, indeed!"

"Why...I..I do not know what to say", Beth says truthfully.

"You now have an assignment, my dear. Finish this book! Finish it at your leisure! And as you provide chapter after chapter, I myself shall be scribing copies right here in my chambers, for all the College mages to study and read!"

"I. Well, I did not expect this! But I shall take your heed. I shall take it with seriousity, sir".

"That's my girl! Now...go...go with haste, and provide not waste, my dear!"

Crystal Beth now walks from the Arch Mage's chambers, a small, confused smile upon her high elf face.

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Apr 25 2012, 04:50 PM
+Quote Post
Lady-Mara-II
post Apr 24 2012, 10:31 PM
Post #12

Retainer

I LOVE it! It's such a different format to what fan fics usually look like, but it really works!

I'll definitely be passing on some snippets of Beth's book to my own mage, Flying Snow. She sometimes is overwhelmed by enemies, and resorts to dual daggers, one given to her by a friend. She definitely needs to increase her spellbook.

--------------------
Blessings of Mara upon ye.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 25 2012, 12:43 AM
Post #13

Paladin
Group Icon

Beth found a publisher! Woot! purplewizardsmile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Apr 25 2012, 04:49 PM
Post #14

Mouth
Group Icon

Thank you both. I much appreciate it, and Lady Mara II, glad you've made it over here. smile.gif The next chapters will be easy for me to write up, so they'll be up soon.

Ann's story, by the way, is also coming, but the other day there was a scheduling conflict between me and my kid and my mom, which meant I couldn't devote adequate time to Ann's game. Unlike Beth, Ann's game requires I set aside a lot of time, since she's got a much heavier roleplay.
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Apr 25 2012, 07:14 PM
Post #15

Councilor
Group Icon

I normally wouldn't comment on a Skyrim or Morrowind fan-fic, because I don't have either of those games, but I liked the idea of this one too much to stay out. It's a brilliant concept, I just hope you can keep it up with Ms Thraxx's demands on your time.

BTW it's not "Illusize", it's "Illude" (really!)

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Apr 26 2012, 11:20 AM
Post #16

Mouth
Group Icon

Thank you, ghastley. smile.gif I know illusize is not a real English word; that's one of Beth's words. She uses some strange ones.
+Quote Post
Andrea
post Apr 26 2012, 01:48 PM
Post #17

Evoker

YAAY! The Arch-mage loves Beth's journal? AND he is going to make copies by his own hand?

Beth must be over the moon!

When Jessika is in Skyrim, she doesn't really speak to the Arch-mage as her aunt Mirabelle has warned her not to approach him unless it's absoloutly neccesary: but this has shown me that he is a nice guy smile.gif

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Apr 24 2012, 02:16 AM) *

She's only joined the College because of the learning experience; she has no desire to "help" them figure out what to do with the strange, floating blue ball that now resides in the Hall of Elements. Therefore, she will not ever finish the main College questlines. She will not ever be Arch Mage. And she doesn't want this title.

Jessika agrees with this.

Although she is studying and only studying restoration, the journal might come in handy for future mages!

If it is alright with Beth, might Jessika request a signed copy of the journal once Aren publishes it ;P hehe

Great stuff, Lady Saga

This post has been edited by Andrea: Apr 26 2012, 03:09 PM
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post May 1 2012, 10:24 PM
Post #18

Mouth
Group Icon

Hello all. smile.gif This next chapter was written as Crystal Beth spent 3 days in a row at The College. Arch Mage Savos Aren himself gave her the green light to start her book, and promised it would be used somehow at The College.

After writing Chapter 2, Beth then brewed her usual batch of potions, gathered up all her coin ( 19,000+ gp ) and then headed for Solitude, where she had even more coin stashed! She used this money to buy Proudspire Manor, where she's planning to hopefully write even more chapters, in the quiet and safety of her own home. She's not about to give up adventuring, however! She still needs to decorate Proudspire to her liking!

Also, this chapter is dedicated to the man who taught Tae Kwon Do at the rec center in my neighborhood when I was a kid. I was really into Tae Kwon Do from ages 13 through 15, went every Saturday morning, got to green belt. I eventually started flaking on it (being a teenager and all) and I have forgetten my teacher's name at the moment, but I'll never forget one of the most important lessons he ever taught.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

CHAPTER II:

How to Run, When to Run, Where to Run

As an aspiring writer and travelling sorcerer, I agonized a bit over which chapter should come next. And I also apologize to ye Mages who may have become a bit betwix't during my first chapter; I do know it may have been a lot to take in. So let us advance now more slowly, and begin by doing so now.

This chapter shall contain ideas which no College instructor shall ev'r instruct: Illusion, Destruction, nor Restoration. Nor willst thou find such instructions within thee usual current books of publications. I am about to teach ye a few lessons which will someday save lives perhaps. College mages, as ye adventure and go about the lands, take heed of these lessons. And be forwarned: such instructions as follow have absolutely nothing to do with magics.

We all are in knowing of the big, burly, brutish warrior types are we not? He carry'th his weapons, wear'th his armors, and must always be prepared for a battle: weapon to weapon, weapon to armor, and perhaps weapon to flesh. What I am going to teach you today, many a warrior already knows by instinct.

As a warrior swingeth his weapons about, knowing as such that at any moment he could be taken down to Sovengarde or wherev'r such place he may go should he pass this life, the warrior know'th about stamina. Stamina to warriors is as valuable as Magicka is to us.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Stamina is to warriors as Magicka is to mages.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

What may happen if the warrior loseth his Stamina? I shall answer: He shall then lose the abilities he so proudly bear'th in battle, should he lose his stamina. His swings shall have no punch. His stance shall have no strength. And he shall lose his ability to escape, should he need to finally run.

Now, a warrior needs to perhaps always be aware, College Mages, of his stamina. A reserve of stamina, you see, shall guarantee an easy escape, as the warrior can now sprint if the need ariseth, since a good sprint shall drain'th this reserve of Stamina.

For us mages, such a reserve is not so important. A mage can have not buil't upon his or her Stamina over time, and still find him-self or her-self effective. But do not confuse. We mages still, at times, shall need to vacate an area of melees, especially as strong, fast weapons are upon us!

~~~~~~~~~~~HOW TO RUN~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ye mages of The College mustn't necessarily master this one (especially as your skills in magic's rise) but at times, ye ability to run is just as importante for survival as ye ability to cast.

Clothes: The Skyrim mage has a vast advantage ov'r a necromancer or a Cyrodiilic-styled mage. Thanks to an infusion of design concepts (Altmer, Nordic, and even Khajiit), our clothes do not inhibit the movements of our legs. Our robes typically are not long ones, and because of this, nev'r shall we suddenly take our leaves while falling upon our noses!

To run, ye must only concentrate.
Just as if ye concentrate upon yer spells. Place thee staff (should ye possess one) into its satchell. Place thee daggar (should ye possess one) into its holster. With thee arms and hands now free, running now comes much more easily.

With our typical conjured beings, illusory effects, and other such magics, rarely shall be the day that thee may need to sprint like a common warrior. However: If thou need'st to partake of a sprint, there is no shame.

Run. Ye may be call'd a coward, but an alive coward ye shall certainly be!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~WHEN TO RUN~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To knoweth when to run and when not to run, thee must only knoweth thine enemy, College Mages. Let us begin.

A simple bandit. He wears animal furs for clothing, and carry'th a simple, iron axe. Such a bandit can be taken down easily; a well-placed Fire Rune explodeth in his face? Perhaps half his strength is already gone.

.....But what of three such bandits? What of five?

For some of us, such a group can easily be handl'd with a variety of working spells (see Chapter I). Should such spells be maintain'd, and should such spells happen all at once, even such a group as three or five can be taken to their afterlives, and often proudly so.

But ever'y so often, the moments come when our spells fail us. We aim, but the spell happens to miss. We lay a rune (perhaps) and our enemy somehow manages not to tred upon its width. Such moments do happen, College Mages. They do happen, in-deed. And when as such they do, we must prepareth to vacate. And vacate with heed.

Some final words to those more advanced sorts who may someday find him-self or her-self betwix'd upon such a situation. Leaders can be deadly. Ever'y bandit camp, every band of dusky necromancers, every barrow full of draug'rs, has a leader.

Leaders can be more menacing, more deadely, and more powerful than the average pawns who perhaps surround him, her, or it.

'tis important to avoid direct come-upances with leaders, at all costs, College Mages. Formulate a strategy if you need to, but always keep thee avenues of escape upon your options, should you encounter an enemy leader.

For those who do manage to formally (and successfully) strategize thous't situations, I bid this next and final section

~~~~~~~~~~~~~WHERE TO RUN~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I scribe this final section, me hands and wrists grow tired, College Mages, as I know thee eyes must also be! Me fingers are stained with inks of a variety colors as well. Writing can be much more tiring than adventuring! We must find a way to create a spell that transmits our thoughts instantly upon the paper itself! But alas, such magics would be rarely in demand.

For those how have taken such opportunities, and have opted to run from battle, it is just as important to know where to go, as well as how and when. NEVER walk into a room thoust have nev'r been, without knowing its exits, College Mages. Take a moment or few, and Study thee options. Make note mentally of places to turn, doors to shut, and areas to become. Note any enemies about if ye can, as well, before you get into battle.

Distance is a friend at such moments. As long as the mage can put some distance between him-self or her-self, and any wretched enemies about, as long as the mage can exact into a safe location, advantage can be re-established! Tables can be turn'd upon their very surfaces!

High elevations are key areas to exact, assuming ye can find places as such, especially out-doors in the wilds.

As I recently was chas'd by a mean bandit leader locat'd at Volkheim Towers, an orc carrying what seem'd to be one very large enchanted Dwarven weapon, I eventually found me-self upon the top of a boulder. Had the orc manag'd just a few strikes upon my person, I might have been dead. But I knew'th where to go, and as such, one more mean orc is now dead.

In-doors, other strategies must now come into play, and I promise I shall further elaborate upon these in up-coming chapters. For now, often is the moment when the mage must run through many hall-ways and doors through which have already been pass'd through, running in such a manner as to easily confuse. 'tis important to know where thee must go, and whether to exact a moment now to turn back, and face ye menacers.

Now I shall conclude this lessone, College Mages. As needed, ye should practice running as often as ye practice spells.

.....And not to mind for those who will joke upon ye.

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: May 3 2012, 07:56 PM
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 2 2012, 12:10 AM
Post #19

Paladin
Group Icon

I enjoy your opening ‘what’s going on’ comments to get right back into the story.

Love Crystal’s comparison of a mage’s magicka to a warrior’s stamina – most apropos. Great insights! Oops, gotta run now! laugh.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post May 2 2012, 12:31 AM
Post #20

Mouth
Group Icon

Ahh, I thank thee sir! *curtseys*
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:26 AM