Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Wings of Light., No L and no C this time. Ok, there is quite a bit of c.
jack cloudy
post Oct 19 2006, 09:47 PM
Post #1

Master
Group Icon

Next one. Ok, several things first.
1: THIS IS NOT FANFICTION. No, this is a story taking place in an original universe. I hope no one minds.
2: Don't expect regular updates. This is an attempt at a professional novel so I want to plan it out and get all the good stuff in it. Foreshadowing, multiple plot lines, character interaction, cool hardware and a god, or maybe two.
3: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Also known as: Technobabble and Handwaves explain everything.
4: The laws of robotics are not implemented here. Sorry Isaac, but I want them to drive the cool stuff. They don't have time to babysit some organic wimps.

WINGS OF LIGHT

CHAPTER 1: Lights, colours, not here.

Without a sound, the SS Hesphire moved to its destination. It would have been useless to expect any sound as such a phenomenon had a hard time travelling through the vacuum of space.
,,This is your captain speaking. We are approaching the wormhole leading to the Eden system. The estimated time for our arrival is approximately half an hour from now. There will be a short burn for course corrections. We advise that all passengers strap themselves in till we’ve entered the wormhole and stabilized our course. If you require any help, our crew is willing to assist you. Thank you.” The disembodied voice echoed through speakers all over the ship.

With this announcement, everyone dropped whatever he or she was doing and moved to the observation deck. Entering a wormhole was always an exciting event for those who were new to interstellar travel. There were also those who were not new to interstellar travel. They also moved to the observation deck, though for a different reason.

Belonging to the second group was Paul Anthony Detroit. Every single cell of his body revealed him as a true veteran of space. He smoothly sailed from wall to wall, without any of the awkward bouncing of the average tourist. His clothes were tight fitting like those worn by all true space farers, yet without looking like a diver’s suit, oversized pyama or any other kind of embarrassing outfit newbies wore. The passengers he passed were mostly less successful in their choice of clothing. Wide, flowing clothes were fashionable these days yet had the unpleasant habit of getting stuck between doors or flowing away from the areas they were supposed to cover. Easy to use belts for strapping down clothes to the limbs were standard issue on civilian ships carrying passengers.

Thanks to his skill at zero g manoeuvring, he arrived well before the other passengers and secured the best place of all, the ceiling. Instantly, a steward pushed off against a wall to reach him.
,,Please mister, you may want to sit in one of the seats. Free floating during course corrections are not advised.” The young man, barely in his twenties, warned. Detroit looked down at the traditional name tag and smiled.
,,Well mister Rein, I can assure you that part of a g is not going to be a problem for me. Unless the SS Hesphire is using an illegally rigged High-performance Fusion torch and will be running multiple gees. In which case I would have to arrest everyone onboard.” He responded with the cool tone of voice that could come from only one kind of person. Military officers, the high-ranking ones.

The steward wisely backed off, allowing Detroit to enjoy the view. The man looked how everyone else entered the observation deck and got strapped in. There was some chaos but the stewards managed to get their job done and everyone strapped into a chair. He smiled again as he thought of the faces they would pull upon seeing a wormhole.
,,This is your captain speaking. We shall initiate our burn in 30 seconds. Anyone who is not yet secured should grab the nearest support and hold on for the next few minutes. Thank you.” This time, Detroit did follow the advise. He reached out and grabbed a small handle jutting out of the glass dome that covered the observation deck at the nose of the ship.

Little puffs of hydrogen jetted out of the minuscule thrusters spread across the Hesphire’s hull. The long cylindrical vehicle turned its nose around slowly. Two minutes later, the thrusters fired again to stop the rotation. Now the main thruster at the far end of the ship fired. Unlike during the turn, the acceleration caused by the main thrusters was felt by the people onboard. It felt as if you were suspended in the air under a parachute with a gentle breeze pushing you along.
,,This is your captain speaking. We are entering the wormhole in five…four…three…two…one…entering now.”

Necks were stretched in awkward positions, eyes seemed to bulge out of their sockets. The stars disappeared, to be replaced by pure darkness. Slowly, a hint of disappointment spread across the two dozen or so faces gathered on the observation deck. Detroits smile grew bigger.
,,No lights, no fancy colours, no humming sounds, no sudden acceleration. This ain’t your average holovision show. Welcome to real space. It is boring, it is slow and it rarely takes you anywhere interesting. At least you won’t find bad looking aliens with worse looking rayguns at every corner.” He spoke loud enough for everyone to hear. Then, he laughed. Yes, the passengers would be angry with him for the rest of the trip but why should he care? It would only be a week or so and then he would be back where he was supposed to be. On a ship of his own. One with guns, big guns.
“And twenty-two wormholes away from the action.”

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
jack cloudy   Wings of Light.   Oct 19 2006, 09:47 PM
Lord Revan   Lousy tourists, it's like they never res...   Oct 19 2006, 10:30 PM
The Metal Mallet   Well it certainly seems like you're a fan of s...   Oct 19 2006, 10:50 PM
Kiln   Heh, I was humored by the way the character descri...   Oct 19 2006, 11:41 PM
jack cloudy   Hmm, I'm not quite satisfied with the next bit...   Oct 21 2006, 04:21 PM
The Metal Mallet   Hmm this new race you introduced seems rather inte...   Oct 21 2006, 04:49 PM
jack cloudy   No updates yet, I thought I would just give a bit ...   Oct 25 2006, 08:00 PM
jack cloudy   Update time! Detroit smiled faintly. It felt...   Oct 28 2006, 01:40 PM
The Metal Mallet   Ooooo sexy ship, I wouldn't mind being in that...   Oct 28 2006, 02:53 PM
jack cloudy   Sexy? You should see the other ships. I'll try...   Nov 2 2006, 08:35 PM
The Metal Mallet   Oooo, things are starting to develope with that Ge...   Nov 2 2006, 09:06 PM
jack cloudy   The continuation. Detroit meets his greatest foe. ...   Nov 7 2006, 07:14 PM
The Metal Mallet   Haha, a very humourous update today Jack. Nice st...   Nov 8 2006, 01:06 AM
mplantinga   I don't usually read the non-fanfics on the bo...   Nov 8 2006, 01:21 AM
jack cloudy   Thank you all. Now as for the punctuation, I had p...   Nov 10 2006, 07:45 PM
The Metal Mallet   When we first met the AI, I thought it had a male ...   Nov 10 2006, 09:26 PM
Lord Revan   I can see that this hardware to wetware couple won...   Nov 14 2006, 03:01 AM
jack cloudy   Finally, the next update. Lots of talking in this ...   Dec 10 2006, 10:28 PM
The Metal Mallet   Ooooo a new race is revealed, one that isn't v...   Dec 10 2006, 11:24 PM
jack cloudy   And we skip back to Detroit and co. Detroit h...   Dec 18 2006, 10:07 PM
The Metal Mallet   Ooooo, this AI seems to have some actual brains. ...   Dec 18 2006, 11:03 PM
Lord Revan   Indeed it would seem that she does..... Anyway, it...   Dec 19 2006, 12:58 AM
jack cloudy   A glossary sounds like a good idea. Should I post ...   Dec 25 2006, 12:05 PM
jack cloudy   And here we go again. I'll probably make a glo...   Jan 12 2007, 07:00 PM
The Metal Mallet   So, Jack Cloudy is revealed! And it seems tha...   Jan 12 2007, 11:43 PM
jack cloudy   Well, it's one of the rules of writing. No con...   Jan 20 2007, 05:56 PM
The Metal Mallet   Haha, I always get a kick out of Soul. Just the f...   Jan 20 2007, 06:04 PM
jack cloudy   I like Soul as well. Later on it gets even better....   Jan 20 2007, 11:26 PM
The Metal Mallet   A touching discussion between brother and sister. ...   Jan 21 2007, 03:26 AM
jack cloudy   A real short one. The real work has been put into ...   Feb 8 2007, 10:30 PM
jack cloudy   Several days later, the salvage operation was comi...   Feb 25 2007, 03:25 PM
The Metal Mallet   Uh-oh, sounds like Jack made a boo boo. Now Detro...   Feb 25 2007, 08:17 PM
jack cloudy   Short one. The beginning of a new chapter. Cha...   Mar 10 2007, 10:01 PM
jack cloudy   Another short one. Removing a wall panel, se...   Mar 15 2007, 10:10 PM
The Metal Mallet   Hmmm Soul certainly is acting strangely if it purp...   Mar 16 2007, 01:03 AM
jack cloudy   Well, I can't give out the truth yet. Which re...   Mar 19 2007, 11:09 PM
The Metal Mallet   Hmmm... It seems that Karl himself has grown attac...   Mar 20 2007, 01:04 AM
jack cloudy   You won't believe this, but I discovered some ...   Apr 16 2007, 04:04 PM
The Metal Mallet   Well it depends on how much you need to fix. If i...   Apr 16 2007, 09:55 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 12:20 PM