14 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Old Habits Die Hard Part Two, An old dog learns new tricks
SubRosa
post Jun 8 2010, 05:16 PM
Post #41

Ancient
Group Icon

I think the reason for Drusus' suspicion was the fact that Jeelius was wearing a Mythic Dawn robe. He and the other "authorities" should know to look for those robes by now, as all the dead assassins of the Emperor and his sons were found wearing them.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 9 2010, 05:05 PM
Post #42

Paladin
Group Icon

Three chapters, and I loved them.

I like Orcs. Quite a bit actually. It was heartening to read how Julian likes them too and quickly embraces that there are good and not so good individuals within any race. In fact I like how she openly accepts all the races and notices the beauty in each, such as how the beautiful color had returned to Jeelius' scales and the sparkle in his orange eyes.

The stand off with the gang was great. Full of tension but not a drop of blood shed.

I believe I detect a growing richness in your wonderful writing. I know I am certainly enjoying traveling with Julain. smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jun 9 2010, 06:07 PM
Post #43

Master
Group Icon

@all who noted Drusus's suspicion of Jeelius, it was triggered by the red robe. No good law enforcement takes just the word of an acquaintance alone.

@mALX: I'm glad you are enjoying the new material.

@SubRosa: You and I have the same feeling about Lake Rumare. A lot of times, I just swim across. There is actually a couple of places that are truly fords, where the water is shallow enough to walk across. Makes me wonder how ships make it to the Waterfront! I have fixed your first nit, but left the second one alone as 'Paint' is repeated twice for effect.

@Destri: That is just another example of Julian as the Protector. Why would she leave him to fend for himself and find his way home? Especially after the way he helped her during their escape from Lake Arrius Caverns?

@Olen: Yes, back to see Baurus again!

@Acadian: I love Orcs, and Argonians. Orcs because I can be as grouchy as they are! Argonians just because they're so different from the standard Elven/Human/Orcish races.

The next turned out to be a very short chapter and really served as a bridge between the Path to Dawn quest and the Spies quest.

Chapter 9 - Return to Cloud Ruler Temple

By the time we reached the road leading from Bruma to Cloud Ruler Temple, the sun had disappeared behind the western ranges. The alpenglow escaped through a crack in the overcast, lingering on the high peaks to the east of us and lighting our path. Paint cantered through the dell, as anxious as I to reach the end of the road. However, when we reached the steep climb up the escarpment, I reined him back to a walk, letting him catch his breath. Stars glinted through fast-dispersing clouds by the time we reached the gates to Cloud Ruler Temple.

I dismounted and led Paint through, then dropped his reins to close the tall gates against the night. Booted footsteps came down the stairs, and Jauffre’s bald pate appeared beside me, helping me with the heavy panels.

Once the gates were barred, I thanked Jauffre between puffs of cold air. He clapped me on the shoulder as we returned to waiting Paint. “Thank Talos you’ve returned safely!” his tone was anxious and relieved at the same time. “Baurus told me you were on the trail of the Mythic Dawn. Do you have the Amulet?”

With a sinking heart, I shook my head. “No, sir. Mankar Camoran has escaped with it.”

“Mankar Camoran?” Jauffre exclaimed, picking up Paint’s rein and starting up the steps. I fell into step beside him. “That man lived over four hundred years ago!”

“He’s Altmer, sir,” I responded, shrugging.

Jauffre muttered under his breath as we climbed the stairs, his face flushed with emotion. Roliand met us as we reached the top, giving Paint a pat on the neck. Jauffre handed him the rein and helped me take my gear off Paint’s saddle.

“Please tell me you have some good news, Julian,” Jauffre could not keep the despair out of his face and voice. I shrugged, watching Roliand lead Paint to the stables.

“I have something that might be useful, sir,” I admitted. “I think it was something Camoran used when he escaped with the Amulet. He left it behind.”

“What is it?” he demanded, leading me to the Hall of the Blades, carrying my pack with the bow and quiver attached.

“It’s a book, sir,” I answered, “written in a script I don’t recognize. I can feel power in it, though.”

Jauffre’s face brightened. “Take it to Martin right away,” he said. “He’s hardly taken time to sleep since you left.” He looked down at the pack in his hand. “Is it in here?”

“No, sir,” I patted the small bag slung from my shoulder. “In this.”

“All right,” Jauffre led me into the timber-framed hall. Setting the pack down near the door, he waved me toward a table halfway down the hall, to the right. By the light of the lamp on the table, I recognized Martin’s face. A few books were stacked at his elbow, along with parchment, quills and ink pots. His intent gaze focused on a book in his hands.

Behind him stood Baurus, back in his blue and brass armor, in that pose of alert watchfulness I remembered all too well.

The warmth of the hall made my frosted cuirass feel suddenly cold, and I shivered involuntarily. I stopped at the table and waited for Martin to notice me.

“Ah, you’re back, Julian!” he greeted me, welcome and gladness in his weary expression. “I told Jauffre not to worry.” Now he frowned at me, waving me to sit down. I took the bench across from him all too gratefully. “But I see from the look on your face that you have bad news,” he said more somberly. “You weren’t able to recover the Amulet, were you?”

“No, Sire,” I answered, watching his face fall. Digging beneath the purple volumes of the Commentaries, I drew out the bone-colored book and showed it to him, my fingers twitching from its power. “But I have this.” His eyes widened when his gaze fell on the cover.

Seizing the book from me, he looked at me with horror and alarm. “By the Nine!” he exclaimed. “Such a thing is dangerous to handle!” He laid the book carefully on the table, hovering his hands protectively over it. “Forgive me, Julian. You were right to bring it. But these Daedric volumes hold such great power, they can corrupt those who are not prepared for them.”

My brows rose high. “Daedric volume?” I repeated. “You do know what that is, then, Sire?”

“Why, this is the Mysterium Xarxes,” Martin met my gaze. “Do you mean to tell me you never guessed what it is?”

I stared at him. The Mysterium Xarxes? I found the actual Mysterium Xarxes? The idea scared me more than the thought of facing that den of Mythic Dawn without weapons. “N- no, Sire, I c- couldn’t read the script on the c- cover,” I stammered. “This is the book written by Mehrunes Dagon himself?”

Jauffre leaned over my shoulder to regard the book. “Now I believe it was Mankar Camoran himself you saw, Julian,” he said gruffly. He looked up at Martin. “Can that book help us find the Amulet, Sire?”

“Fortunately I know a few ways to protect myself from its corrupting influence,” Martin mused, resting an elbow on the table and rubbing his chin thoughtfully. “Still, I will need to be very careful -” his voice trailed off, his eyes on the daedric volume in front of him. He hadn’t touched the book once he had laid it on the table. His hazel eyes lifted to mine. “Julian, you have no idea -” He straightened his spine. “Well, I don’t know, Jauffre,” he said firmly. “But Julian, you will have to tell us how you happened to come by such a powerful book.”

My stomach growled before I could respond. Will you shut up for once? This is important stuff. Learn patience!

“It is past the dinner hour,” Jauffre clapped my shoulder, his fingers steadying me when I almost flopped face first into the table. “But I believe there is still some hot food in the dining hall. Let us retire there so Julian can eat something and warm up while she regales us with tales of her adventures.”

Shooting him a startled glance, I only saw neutral curiosity in the Grandmaster’s face. Martin slapped his hands firmly on the table, rising to his feet. “Excellent idea, Jauffre,” he agreed. “I’m a little hungry for a midnight snack, myself.”

“No, Julian,” Jauffre shook his head at me when I reached for my gear. “Leave it, for now. Come on, I want to hear your report.”

Baurus grinned at me as I passed him, following Jauffre and Martin to the east wing. Inside the dining hall, Captain Steffan looked up from his own plate as we entered. He made to leave, but Jauffre stopped him.

“You may as well hear Julian’s report,” he said to the tall Blade. “She’s traveled far today, and has brought back something of immense value.”

The Captain’s expression brightened. “The Amulet?” he asked. Like the others, his face fell when he was told no. Jauffre steered me to sit across from the Imperial, then moved to the sideboard, where he heaped food onto a plate. Martin sat down at the end of the table, Baurus taking up position behind him.

Jauffre set the laden plate, this time containing warm bread, sliced roast boar and aged yellow cheese in front of me, and took the chair next to Steffan. The Grandmaster filled a cup from the teapot in the center of the table.

“Now, let’s hear it,” he ordered. “Start with when Baurus left you in the Imperial City.” He tapped the table next to the plate. “But don’t forget to eat.”

Between bites of the grub, I described the key hidden in the Commentaries. How I determined the location of the shrine. The decision to infiltrate the Mythic Dawn as an initiate. The discovery of Jeelius on the sacrificial altar. The theft of the bone-colored book. Our heart-pounding battle through the cavern system.

“After we got out of those caverns, we went back to Cheydinhal, spent the night there, and left this morning,” I finished, drinking the last of the tea. “Jeelius and I separated at Fort Urasek, he went to swim across the lake, and I came straight here.”

“Who is this Jeelius?” Jauffre asked warily.

“I know of him,” Baurus spoke from his place behind Martin. “He is a priest at the Temple of the One. A kind man, especially to the poor and the beggars.” As I snagged an apple from the platter in the center of the table, I nodded agreement.

Steffan caught my gaze. “Something is bothering me,” he remarked. “They recognized you? If so, why did they let you so far in?”

Thinking back on yesterday’s events, I shook my head. “I don’t think the acolytes or guards recognized me,” I responded slowly. “But the Warden - Harrow, may have. He made me cover my head before we went in there. Then he exposed me in front of Ruma.”

“It’s possible,” Jauffre spoke, rubbing his chin thoughtfully, “that only the upper levels knew of Julian’s involvement in the Gate at Kvatch.” He glanced from Baurus to me. “Did you happen to leave any of the Mythic Dawn agents you found alive?”

“No, sir,” Baurus responded for both of us. “Julian even made certain the ones she engaged were good and dead.”

“That said,” I met Jauffre’s gaze, “it’s still possible for one to witness our activities from the shadows.” I shrugged. “Some of those acolytes in the caverns didn’t face us, only ran. Such people would have reported events to their superiors.”

“If there are any left,” Steffan responded, his gaze on his mug of tea. “Raven and Ruma Camoran are dead, so is the Warden. Is there anyone else left?”

“Mankar Camoran,” Martin responded into the silence. “From what Julian described, he may not be back for a while, until his own preparations are complete.”

“But we don’t know how long he’ll be gone,” Jauffre added.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 9 2010, 08:51 PM
Post #44

Ancient
Group Icon

A short chapter indeed, at only one post. But it does exactly what you said, returning Julian to Cloud Ruler Temple and bringing the rest of the Scooby Gang up to date on her goings on. Once again our favorite Redguard is eating well I see. Roast boar, apples, no polenta there! Jauffre sets a good table when he is not busy putting heads on pikes.

By the time we reached the road leading from Bruma to Cloud Ruler Temple
This first line catches my eye most of any other. The reason is the "we", which you use to describe Julian and Paint. Most writers would have made that singular, but you have made Paint so much a character, rather than a conveyance, that he does indeed merit the "we".

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olen
post Jun 9 2010, 11:16 PM
Post #45

Mouth
Group Icon

Short but it brought things into position for the next section without seeming to be doing so. It flowed well in the story and had the feel of character building (which it was) rather than filler (which you seem most adept at avoiding). And she didn't recognise the Mysterium Xarxes which I suppose I did notice in the last part but failed to pay heed to. More improving on the game world with her having to be told things.

Only one thing rang a little strange for me:
that only the upper levels knew of Julian’s involvement in the Gate at Kvatch

It is not far from common knowledge though, with Romalen knowing and other strangers recognising her for shutting the gate it seems odd that it would be restricted to the upper levels there. But I suppose the novices might not get out or hear much...

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Jun 11 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #46

Mouth
Group Icon

So the book that Julian recovered is the notorious Mysterium Xarxes? Cool! One thing that I don't get is why, if you are the Daedric Prince of destruction, would you write a set of instructions for building a portal to Paradise? blink.gif

There was something about the attitude of all the Blades, and even Martin to a lesser extent, that made me feel sorry for Julian. Think about it, she carries the Amulet of Kings safely to Jauffre. He promptly looses it while she is literally fighting her way through Oblivion itself to rescue the last Septim heir. She sees that heir safely to Cloud Ruler Temple where she is made into a Blade in order to clean up Jauffre’s mess. She goes back to the Imperial City and deciphers the clues leading her to the secret headquarters of the Mythic Dawn. She infiltrates that hideout, rescues a priest of the Temple of the One, and fights her way clear with the Mysterium Xarxes without any backup or help from her fellow Blades, and all they can say upon her return is ‘Where is the Amulet of Kings?’ I, for one, would be willing to excuse Julian if all she wanted to do was tell them all to 'go #@%& yourselves, take your wild boar and shove it up your @#&!'

Love the new avatar! I expected something ‘horse related’ from you, but I like this.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jun 11 2010, 05:59 PM
Post #47

Master
Group Icon

@SubRosa: When I'm horseback riding, I literally put my trust in the horse under me. Most horses will live up to that trust. That is the one amazing thing about these creatures. I'm glad that you've noticed Julian regards Paint as her partner in her travels. The Scooby Gang, indeed!

@Olen: I've always felt that fanatic leaders are very selective regarding what their fanatic followers know about. With everything necessary being provided by the Master, why should a novice head outside a cold, damp cave?

@Destri: Jauffre is a bit single minded, isn't he? Your rant made me laugh. I don't think it bothers Julian as much as it bothers you. After all, she's accustomed to the bumblings of higher-ups from her years in the Legion. tongue.gif As for my new avatar, the ouroboros and the yin-yang symbols are two of my favorite symbols through the years. I first learned of the ouroboros in Organic Chemistry, of all places. It's the one thing I remember well (along with the boat and chair) from that class! But I can post something equine if you prefer!

Now starts Chapter Ten, and Julian's first visit to Bruma. mALX, her first encounter with a Mythic Dawn agent is in this chapter, so stay tuned!

Chapter 10.1 What is a Spy?

Again, I met the sunrise on the plaza, next to the western brazier. Fortis and Pelagius were already on the practice sands. As Cyrus watched in silent approval, I moved through the Way of the Crane that Jelin had taught - no, pounded into me - all those years ago. Pleased that the movements felt less awkward, I noticed that my knee didn’t hamper them as much.

“Much better this morning, Julian,” Cyrus greeted me as I walked up to the Hall doors.

“Good morning, Cyrus,” I answered. “Felt better too,” I added. “Though that brazier felt good starting out.”

“The movements help get you warm, though,” Cyrus observed. He nodded at the lightweight green shirt I wore. “Go see Jena,” he suggested. “She may have something more suitable for this cold weather than that.”

Cyrus was right, Jena did have something more appropriate for the high Jeralls. While I ate breakfast, she brought me a long-sleeved woolen blouse with a quilted doublet, and a heavy dark green flannel skirt. Since we were the only ones in the dining hall at the moment, she helped me try them on.

The flannel skirt was heavier and bulkier than the light tan skirt I had worn in the Imperial City, and tangled around my ankles more readily. Jena instructed me how to kick the skirt out of the way as I walked, so I wouldn’t trip on them. Swishing the heavy fabric thoughtfully around my legs, I looked up at Jena. “I haven’t worn skirts in such a long time, and certainly not long and heavy ones like this.”

“I’m certain not since you started soldiering, Julian,” Jena responded, adjusting the doublet on my shoulders. “Oh, but I think this outfit suits you rather well. It’s perfect if you don’t want people to mistake you for a Blade.”

“Thanks, Jena,” I responded, smiling at her. “I appreciate the help.” Just then, Jauffre entered the dining hall, halting as his gaze fell on us. Jena and I exchanged amused glances, then I walked up to the Grandmaster, stifling a giggle at the look on his face. Enough. I’m too old for that girly stuff. “Good morning, Grandmaster,” I said when I stopped in front of him. “Jena thinks I won’t be mistaken as a Blade in this.”

“Ahem,” Jauffre cleared his throat. “It would seem so,” he remarked. Giving me one last look up and down, he met my gaze. “I’ve got a new task for you, if you’re ready.”

“What is it, sir?” I asked as Jauffre moved to the sideboard and started gathering victuals for his breakfast. Pouring him a cup of klah, I sat down across from him when he took his seat.

“The gate guards have reported seeing strangers on the road for the past several nights.” He looked pointedly at me. “I cannot leave Cloud Ruler Temple undefended while I have men combing the mountainside for these spies, but they must be eliminated.”

“If they are spies, sir,” I countered cautiously.

“Aye, if they are spies,” Jauffre agreed impatiently. “Talk to Captain Steffan, he can tell you where he has seen them. Also, Captain Burd of the City Guard in Bruma may be able to help. I’ve asked the Countess to have the guard keep an eye out for strangers.” His eyes hardened. “Track down these spies,” he held up his hand when I opened my mouth in protest, “if indeed they are spies. Find out what they know, and what they are planning, if possible.”

Torture? I thought to myself. During my years in the Legion, I had seen enough torture to know the techniques, but I had never participated in such matters myself. One gets more flies with honey than with crap. Persuasion, maybe. I knew a thing or two about persuasion. “If they are spies, Grandmaster,” I said quietly. Looking down at my new clothes, I caught his gaze.

“Should I go as a Blade, or as an agent, sir?” I wanted to know.

“This isn’t strictly undercover work,” he responded. “But the fewer that know you’re one of us, the better.”

“All right, sir,” I said, thinking of my storage chest in the armory. “I’ve got a few items that I’d like to sell in town. I’ll ask around and see what I find out.”

“I’m counting on you to find those spies,” Jauffre’s tone remained implacable. “We can’t afford to have the Mythic Dawn operate out of Bruma with impunity.”

I had to agree. “No, sir, we can’t.”

Jauffre’s expression became worried, as he finished the last bite of his breakfast. “I hope Emperor Martin knows what he is doing with that evil book,” he muttered. “I fear what it can do to him if he’s not careful.”

“The Mysterium Xarxes?” I answered. “Somehow, I think he’s well-equipped to handle it, sir. Not too much knowledge to be over-confident, but just enough to understand the precautions he needs to take.”

“Yes, but I think he is pushing himself too hard,” Jauffre responded, his tone still concerned. “He’s barely slept or eaten since Baurus returned from the Imperial City. All he’s done is study, study, study.”

“He does have a lot to learn, sir, if he is to be Emperor,” I commented. “Haven’t you tried getting him to stop and take a break?”

“Hmmph,” Jauffre scoffed wordlessly. “Me order the Emperor to eat or sleep? Rather like you telling the sun to stop coming up in the morning.”

“But the sun goes down every night,” I responded. “Why would I want to tell it to stop coming up?”

Jauffre stared at me incredulously. “Julian, you are proving more and more to be well-named,” he finally said with a short laugh. “Look, your arrival got him to eat something last night. If you can get him to do it again, and even sleep a bit, I would be much grateful to you.”

Captain Steffan was out on his patrol of the walls when I found him. “Captain Steffan, sir, may I have a moment of your time?” I asked, falling into step beside him. Once he got over his initial surprise at my feminine garb, he nodded. “Jauffre told me you saw some strangers on the road?”

“Jauffre thinks they may be spies,” Steffan responded neutrally. “We always see them near the runestone at dusk.” He shook his head in disgust. “They aren’t very woodscrafty, but Grandmaster Jauffre has forbidden us to range too far from these walls.”

“Those are my orders, sir,” I responded. “I’m to find those strangers and see what they are up to.” Looking over the edge of the wall, I caught my breath at the vista spread out below. “Can you show me the runestone?”

We reached the easternmost of the two watchtowers overlooking the gate and the road below. The Blade standing watch, one I had not yet met, turned at our approach and nodded at Steffan. The Captain led me to the front parapet and pointed down at the curve in the road where it turned south. Only by squinting could I just barely make out the rough shape of the menhir, surrounded by smaller standing stones. The whole complex stood on a small hillock just west of the bend in the road. “You can see that?” I exclaimed softly.

“Actually,” Steffan jerked a thumb at the Blade standing next to us. “Achille can. He’s got eyes like a hawk.” Achille smiled briefly at us when we left the watchtower, returning to his scanning of the vista below.

As Steffan and I walked back to the plaza, I glanced at the tall Imperial next to me. “What do you know of Captain Burd, sir?”

“Captain Burd?” Steffan repeated. “He’s ex-Legion, like you,” he continued after a moment, stopping near the practice sands to watch Fortis and Pelagius. “Nord through and through, but gets along all right with the southerners in town.” He glanced sidelong at me. “Something you need to know about Bruma,” he added. “Many of the Nords there are Skyrim born and bred, and don’t hold well with Chapel teachings and Nibenese habits. There’s always an undercurrent of tension there. Things look pretty peaceful on the surface, and I think it’s because Burd works hard to keep it that way.”

“Not all of them feel the way he does, then?” I asked quietly, remembering the Nords of Skyrim. Steffan shook his head. “Well, sir, I was posted for a few years in Skyrim. Learned how to stay out of trouble there, sir.”

“Not easy for a Redguard,” Steffan agreed. He spoke true, I knew. Redguards and Nords have been fighting over territory on the borders between Skyrim and Hammerfell. Not always the best of friends. Now he turned to face me. “I know you’re pretty capable, Julian, so don’t be offended when I say be careful. If those strangers are spies, they may try to kill you.”

“I’m not offended, sir,” I answered, matching his serious tone. “And yes, I’ll be careful. I haven’t lasted as long as I have in the Legion by being careless, sir.”

This post has been edited by haute ecole rider: Aug 11 2010, 02:19 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 11 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #48

Ancient
Group Icon

Julian is still improving I see, moving more easily through her Crane kata, and not being bothered as much by her knee. I half expect her to get some magical implants to replace her bad parts, giving her super-heroic abilities. The Six Million Septim Woman!

Enough. I’m too old for that girly stuff.
Never! tongue.gif

Achille can.
I hear that guy is a heel... Sorry, could not resist! biggrin.gif

nits:
One gets more flies with honey than with crap.
You might try vinegar. Flies are attracted to feces, their larvae eat it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Jun 12 2010, 01:10 AM
Post #49

Knower
Group Icon

I am limping along like Julian as I try to catch up. Just reached the part with Mankar and the Dagon shrine. The battle where Julian and her Argonian friend had to fight their way out was as exciting as I knew it would be. I held my breath during that intense scene and didn't release it for minutes afterward. Wow !!!

So cool to see the Adrenaline Rush used during that scene. Everytime I play a Nord or Imperial fighter I find myself looking for the Rush spell and not finding it. Lol.

Time to keep reading....... Awesome write. smile.gif

Oh, and you have an Avatar. Wow!!!

This post has been edited by Winter Wolf: Jun 12 2010, 01:11 AM

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
Olen
post Jun 12 2010, 08:32 AM
Post #50

Mouth
Group Icon

So she's dressing all effeminate now and the bad knee is receeding (which is fine but I'm sure healing spells can't be good for you in the longrun). I can imagine she'll regret the long skirt when it comes to fighting.

I like that a lot of the dialogue happens with day-to-day stuff going on in the background, it brings cloud ruler to life and makes it seem more realistic and belieavable.

After your descriptons of the other cities I'm looking forward to Bruma.

I haven’t lasted as long as I have in the Legion by being careless, sir.

That's him told.

And nice avatar, though exactly where the ouroboros appeared in chemistry I can't quite imagine.

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
Cardboard Box
post Jun 12 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #51

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Olen @ Jun 12 2010, 07:32 PM) *
And nice avatar, though exactly where the ouroboros appeared in chemistry I can't quite imagine.

Benzene.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jun 12 2010, 05:23 PM
Post #52

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Cardboard Box @ Jun 12 2010, 04:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Olen @ Jun 12 2010, 07:32 PM) *

Benzene.

Exactly!

Thanks, Boxee!

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jun 13 2010, 04:50 PM
Post #53

Master
Group Icon

@SubRosa: Thanks for your observations. Six Million Septim Woman indeed! tongue.gif

@Winter Wolf: Glad to see you back! Keep limping along, Julian's always glad to have your company. Thanks for the comment on my avatar.

@Olen: Like most women (including myself), Julian knows some occasions call for feminine clothing, other occasions call for more workmanlike attire. Obviously she isn't planning on fighting. Nice thing about the full skirts, though, is that a women can grab a chunk of hem and tuck it into her belt. Men like it when she does that, as they get to check out her gams. laugh.gif

@Boxee: Thanks for the link concerning the ouroboros in Organic (Orgasmic) Chem.

Finally Julian gets to check out the city she can see from Cloud Ruler Temple.

Chapter 10.2 Bruma

After some consideration, I decided to take my katana and find a smith to repair it. I wouldn’t be a Legion soldier if I didn’t keep the blade keen. I also took the pack, laden with the potions, gems, jewelry and scrolls I had collected in my travels. People in Bruma, especially the Nords, may be more forthcoming with me if I appear to be an friendly old trader rather than an armed fighter. Besides, if Burd is as Captain Steffan says, his guardsmen will be enough protection.

My knee felt good today, and my hip hadn’t been bothering me for a few days, so I decided to walk to Bruma. Paint certainly deserves a day off. Before I left Cloud Ruler Temple, though, I visited him first and shared an apple with him.

At the North Gate, I found the gates closed against that cold north wind at my back. I put my hand on the heavy ring secured to the left hand panel at shoulder height and pushed experimentally. The reinforced wooden door swung ponderously open with a loud groaning. A guardsman stationed within, his Imperial face boyish beneath an iron helm, turned to look at me. Taking in my appearance, he sprang to assist my entry. Once inside, I helped him close the gate against the biting wind.

Pausing to look around, I took in the sturdy log and stone construction of the buildings that made up Bruma. Perched on a steep slope, the structures made up rows on three terraces. To my right, the castle loomed at the top of the slope in the northwest corner of the city wall. Snow, cleared off the cobblestones, lay piled high on either side of the streets. A large brazier burned near the guard post, and a tall bell steeple showed above the peaked roofs off to the south.

I thanked the guard. “Protect and serve, it’s what we do, ma’am,” he responded somberly, but I could see he was pleased by my courtesy. “Did you come by the western back road over the mountains?”

What road? I recalled the faint path that led west, from the North Gate. “I’m Julian,” I answered, “I came from Anvil.”

“Peter Brugels,” the young man responded. “Very few come through the North Gate, ma’am,” he continued. “Old Mrs. Draconis, from Applewatch, and sometimes a Blade from Cloud Ruler Temple.” He eyed me up and down. “Do you know Mrs. Draconis?”

“Not really,” I answered. “I just arrived in the area.”

“How in the world did you make it on that back road, ma’am?” Brugels exclaimed, his brows rising. “It’s remote, not patrolled at all, and full of beasties and bandits. Then there’s Sancre Tor -” he shuddered. “That place’s haunted!”

I shrugged. “I just kept my eyes and ears open,” I commented quietly, studying the terraced city. “So I take it you don’t get many strangers here.”

“Not so much these days, ma’am,” Brugels responded, shaking his head. “Not with these Oblivion Gates opening all over the place.”

Catching my breath, I shot Brugels a glance. “Oblivion Gates?” I repeated. Gods, no, not more of them.

“Yes, ma’am,” Brugels nodded vigorously. “Haven’t you seen one of them yet?” His eyes widened melodramatically. “In fact one opened just last night where the Orange Road meets the Silver Road, just south of here!”

I didn’t see it when I came back to Cloud Ruler Temple. I bit my lip to keep the words from coming out. “Really?” I said instead. “I’ll have to be careful, then.”

“Captain Burd would know more, ma’am,” Brugels added helpfully, pointing at the path leading up to the castle. “At this hour, he’d be in the barracks having lunch with his lieutenants.”

“I wouldn’t want to disturb him -” I began, but Brugels shook his head.

“Nay, Captain Burd’s nice enough, he won’t mind, ma’am.” Now his brown eyes turned assessing, though his face remained open. “Besides, he likes to know everyone that comes into town.”

“Well, I’d best stay on his good side, no?” I remarked. “Thanks, sir, for your help. I’ll go see Captain Burd first.”

“Bye,” he said as I limped toward the castle. The sentries posted outside the castle gate eyed me as I entered the courtyard, but did not challenge me.

Large braziers in the courtyard barely kept the chill away as I made my way to the County Hall, the heart of the castle. Within, a dark, shadowed area with sooty stones, soaring columns and heavy tapestries greeted my gaze. Stepping down onto a threadbare rug, I paused, looking around as my eyes adjusted to the dimness. A passing guard paused nearby.

“Can I help you, ma’am?” he asked.

“I’m looking for Captain Burd,” I answered. “Peter Brugels told me he would be in the barracks?”

“Came in the North Gate, eh?” the guard responded. He pointed to my right, indicating a colonnade running the length of the north wall. “Through the door on the right, ma’am.”

“Thanks,” I replied. Heading for the indicated door, I listened to the silence in the hall, broken only by booted footfalls as sentries changed watch. Too easy, I thought. They seem too lenient. Or would they be so lenient had I come through the East Gate, off the Silver Road? What was it Brugels said? Only Blades come in the North Gate? I shook my head regretfully. So much for being undercover.

Two bare-headed men in the yellow Bruma livery hunched over their klah as I entered the barracks. Against the far wall, other guards slept on a row of cots.

“I heard a cult called the Mythic Dawn is behind the Emperor’s assassination,” the Imperial, a war axe at his back, was speaking to his companion. He glanced up at me as I drew near. The other, his claymore-decorated back to me, caught the look and turned around. Taking in my white hair and feminine clothing, he rose to his feet - and kept rising. Damn! What is it about this place? Imperials as tall as Nords, like Captain Steffan, and now a Nord as tall as a fricking Altmer!

Looking up into his chiseled features, wind-tanned with crows-feet at the corners of his eyes, I swallowed my heart back into my chest. “Hello, ma’am,” he said, shooting a brief glare at the seated Imperial, “what can I do for you?”

As the other man rose to his feet, I took a step back. “Captain Burd, sir?” I asked the Nord.

“Aye, that’s me,” he answered, his brown gaze steady on me. “Commander of the Bruma Guard. That stripling lad,” he nodded at the Imperial, who wasn’t exactly young, “is one of my lieutenants, Gerich Senarel.”

“I’m Julian, from Anvil. I just arrived in Bruma, sir,” I began, unsure how to proceed. Jauffre hadn’t said secrecy was essential, yet discretion was key. “Peter Brugels recommended I check in with you, first.”

“Ah, yes, ma’am,” Burd nodded, grey-streaked brown hair gleaming in the lamplight. “Through the North Gate, then. How did you come to Bruma?”

“From the north, sir,” I answered, holding Burd’s gaze. His eyes narrowed.

“From -?” his voice trailed off. Shaking his head, he studied my face. “I’ve never seen you before, ma’am.”

“I was sent because there have been reports of strangers on the north road,” I took a deep breath, trying not to be too evasive. Burd’s level brows rose.

“Really?” he tilted his head at me, then looked over at Senarel. “He knows everything I know,” he continued. “You may speak freely, ma’am.”

“I’m told strangers have come to the runestone at dusk,” I continued quietly. “Not very woodscrafty from what I hear, but certainly suspicious enough to cause concern.”

“Hmm, I see,” Burd mused, rubbing at that chiseled jaw. “I’d be concerned too,” he mused. “But other than Jearl returning from a trip down south, things have been pretty quiet around here. Not much travel now between the Emperor’s assassination and Oblivion Gates opening around the country.” Though his mouth remained serious, his brown eyes twinkled at me. “The Countess has asked that the men keep an eye out, and I’ve ordered so. Until you came, I’ve had no reports of any strangers here in Bruma.”

“Well, let’s hope it stays that way,” I muttered to myself, looking around the barracks. Meeting Burd’s gaze again, “Permission to ask around myself, sir?” Again, Burd’s eyes narrowed at me. Not a stereotypical dumb Nord, this one.

“No, not at all, ma’am,” he responded. “Just remember this: I make sure my guards respect the local Nords and their ways. You would do well to do the same, Redguard.”

“Yes, sir, I will,” I answered. “Thanks for your time, sir.”

“Senarel is on his way out to the East Gate,” Burd nodded at the sturdy Imperial. “He can show you to Olav’s. That’s a good place for the local gossip.”

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 13 2010, 06:13 PM
Post #54

Ancient
Group Icon

After all the time riding around Bruma, Julian finally goes into the city. Maybe she should have brought Paint after all? He probably would have liked the stable, since that was his birthplace as I recall.

The subdued suspicion of the gate guard was a good touch. The way that they half-expect people coming from the north gate to be Blades, because the only thing off that way is Cloud Ruler Temple and Applewatch. Also good touches on how when she mentions the name of the guard she spoke to, the others knew which gate she had come in from.

And more Oblivion Gates opening up now. I think I read in the wiki that they start doubling in frequency after you do Lake Arrius Caverns. Not that they are a threat to anything (except foolish wannabe knights who go inside them). I have seen the few daedra that aimlessly walk around them killed by wildlife on more than one occasion. It is great fun watching a mountain lion tear apart an atronach!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olen
post Jun 13 2010, 07:44 PM
Post #55

Mouth
Group Icon

Good stuff, I too like the fact that the road she used half blows her cover and gets her preferential treatment from the guards, and that rather than saying she entered the north gate she simply said the guards name. It more oblique and espoinage-like, and seeing as she's meant to be a spy now she's a blade...

I look forward to seeing Bruma's other inhabitants, I never really got the city, it didn't seem to have a soul to it in game but you seem to have other ideas so I can't wait to read them. The guards discussing what's happened also lent it some more realism as we hear what the rumour mill comes up with as it lags behind events.

And as for using the ouroboros to describe benzene... well I think I'll stick with the schrodinger equation (and either some outragous simplifications or a very large computer tongue.gif).

--------------------
+Quote Post
ureniashtram
post Jun 14 2010, 09:27 AM
Post #56

Knower
Group Icon

Organic (Orgasmic) Chem.

Orgasmic chem, eh. OrGasMic ChEm. ORGAS- Nah. I'd leave that kind of stuff (ahem*innuendoahem) to someone out there wink.gif

Going to Cloud Ruler Temple and NOT entering Bruma? That's something you don't read everyday. I like it, and am waiting for the next update!!

Outstanding chapter this is, Hauty!!

--------------------
Djinn: What wish would you like to have, young master?
Random dude: SUPA POWAZ!
--
Djinn: Is there anything I could make true, lord?
Old guy: .. Youth and charisma.
--
Djinn: Your heart speaks of wanting. I could make it true, milord.
Me: Hmmm. I wish to know what I want. Then you could hook me up in some insidious deal, spirit.
+Quote Post
D.Foxy
post Jun 14 2010, 12:47 PM
Post #57

Knower
Group Icon

Someone? I wonder who could that be???

happy.gif

This post has been edited by D.Foxy: Jun 14 2010, 12:50 PM
+Quote Post
ureniashtram
post Jun 14 2010, 01:11 PM
Post #58

Knower
Group Icon

Dremora: (points his claymore upwards while grinning like an idiot)

Imperial Scribe: Why are you pointing at the sky, Dhertee-Innuen?

Dhertee-Innuen: But Doe, I already told you! That 'somebody' is above us!

Doe: Above us? What are you talking about, my dremora friend? Only those who are above us is the Divines! Wait. Could it be?

Dhertee-Innuen: Yes! Your puny mortal brain finally figured it out! Enlighten my smottled brain will ya?
Doe: Is it... Dibella?

(the Dremora smacks his head in frustration and stalked towards Doe menacingly. Suddenly a Dunmer appeared out of nowhere and shouted:

Dunmer: Dhertee-Innuen, Doe! Would you two please get out of there!

And off the trio went. biggrin.gif = coolgrin.gif = whistling.gif

This post has been edited by ureniashtram: Jun 14 2010, 01:13 PM

--------------------
Djinn: What wish would you like to have, young master?
Random dude: SUPA POWAZ!
--
Djinn: Is there anything I could make true, lord?
Old guy: .. Youth and charisma.
--
Djinn: Your heart speaks of wanting. I could make it true, milord.
Me: Hmmm. I wish to know what I want. Then you could hook me up in some insidious deal, spirit.
+Quote Post
D.Foxy
post Jun 14 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #59

Knower
Group Icon

Dhertee-Innuen and Doe... wait a minute, I think I've heard of them before.

Hmmm.... are they related to Phil thee-mine and Bor Dee H. Yumore?

whistling.gif

This post has been edited by D.Foxy: Jun 14 2010, 04:53 PM
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Jun 15 2010, 12:16 AM
Post #60

Mouth
Group Icon

Personally I think that, despite the skirt and the affected limp around the guards (nice touch, that), the hilt of Julian’s Akaviri Katana probably did more to break her cover than which gate she came through. I agree with SubRosa and Olen, the business with the gates was terrific. I wish that she had brought Paint with her, if for no other reason than that his presence would have reinforced her cover story with the guards. But I like the way that you are showing that all this cloak-and-dagger business is completely foreign to a woman whose training consists of putting the pointy end into the enemy!

*Destri swiftly changes the subject before the innuendo sinks in.*

I have no real nits to speak of, but I am curious . . . did you edit out a scene between Julian and Martin in Chapter 10.1 (where she tries to get him to rest)?

--------------------
+Quote Post

14 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:18 AM