5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nemesis
Grits
post Mar 14 2012, 03:10 AM
Post #41

Councilor
Group Icon

That photo of Clarissa is so weirdly compelling. It’s her “before” picture. blink.gif

I thought that Tara’s flashback was brilliantly done. Tara just gets more fascinating.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 14 2012, 11:36 PM
Post #42

Ancient
Group Icon

At once extremely creepy, and yet also deeply moving. I love reading this story. Tara is such a wonderful character, so full of emotion, that we cannot help but to feel sympathy for her. In spite of what she is doing.

I agree with Grits about the pictures. The first two are "oh neat", then the one of Clarissa is like a sledgehammer to the noggin. ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Mar 14 2012, 11:37 PM

--------------------
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 15 2012, 04:31 AM
Post #43

Ancient
Group Icon

Those pictures have really added a whole dimension to the story all on their own !!

I absolutely love this story, it shows a whole other facet of you as a writer and I'm tickled you are finally updating it again.

I'm so sorry it is taking so long to get to read this, I just haven't had time yet, Jacki - but you know I will, just having a very tough and hectic time here, lol.

"I'll be back" (said in Arnold's voice) <3

** Edit: Holy cow, what a chapter! Tara's mind fluctuations in this reveal a lot of her mental state, but also her genius and determination. Horror, yes - but also the touch of mad scientist that will do whatever it takes to achieve their goal. Now Rufio - can't wait to see what is going to happen next !!!

You are def exceeding your own self with this story, it takes your writing to a whole new realm - it takes the world of Tamriel to a new place where nothing can be expected or known except the place. I am totally loving this story and your absolute brilliant mind and talent in writing this !!!

This post has been edited by mALX: Mar 17 2012, 04:52 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Jun 5 2012, 02:53 AM
Post #44

Knower
Group Icon

McBadgere~ I miss writing it! Boo to work and writers block and lethargy!

Grits~ Thank you smile.gif I like the pic myself. I think I'll put one for each stage of her revival.

SubRosa~ I'm glad that I'm accomplishing what I meant to do with Tara smile.gif

mALX~ Thanks mALX! As much as I will always have plenty of love for Wrothken's story, this one is my favorite to write. This sort of thing has always been just my style.

Chapter Six: Lunch

Morndas, 26th of First Seed, 3E431

This will be my only chance to produce any sort of study on this subject. I have grappled with the decision to put this in writing since the idea first popped into my head, but I have decided that I simply cannot throw this opportunity away.

The patient (who shall remain nameless for her and my own safety) was revived in a way that is not common to necromancers. She will not be my thrall or a guard. I brought her back because she was stolen away much too soon. I possess the power to bring her back to me and, as my mother often says about people’s talent, use it or lose it.

Most necromancers would be content with one soul used as they don’t intend to bring their victims back to full flesh and blood as I do. According to my research, she will require thirteen souls and the spell needs to be performed when Masser and Secunda are in their “new” cycles.

I dug up her grave last week and revived her to be animated. She’d been dead for so long that her body was reduced to mostly bone and the odd patch of skin. Her internal organs, including her eyes, have long ago decayed. Upon revival, she showed no signs of aggression. Possible bewilderment. I cannot read her as we have no way to communicate. I do speak to her daily. I plan to read her a bedtime story each night when life settles down a bit. I feel that it will be beneficial for her to go through this complex process hearing my voice constantly. I’m not sure if she even remembers who I am. If she does, then there is no doubt that she will be soothed.

She makes no sound except for a steady crackling. I believe that it is a form of echolocation. She mimics my movements while she makes the sound. I have yet to discover where exactly the noise comes from.

I do believe that she is unable to feel pain at this moment. She somehow managed to break her leg off at the knee. She sat there, using it to smack the floor. After I had time to think, as this has been quite the long weekend, I began to wonder if she was using the sound to help her “see.” It was considerably louder than the crackle she makes. Of course I didn’t leave her the way she was. I reattached her leg with some leather straps and later, when I had the time, I wired it in place. Her skull is also wired to her spine. That was the injury that killed her in the first place. At the time of her murder, there were other assaults… I am not sure whether or not they will have a psychological impact on her when she is fully revived.

This will be a long and strenuous procedure, but I can’t stop now. I can’t stop until she’s been returned to me.

“Dammit!” Tara awoke with a swear. She looked out her bedroom window to see the sun shining brightly. She had stayed up so late writing that she forgot about lunch with the Arch Mage. She groaned as she pulled her robe off and searched in her wardrobe for something nice.

“Dammit, dammit, dammit!” She muttered, holding up a violet dress to her neck and looking in the mirror. “I guess,” she said, changing into it. It was nothing too fancy. The sleeves were short with silver swirl designs. The skirt was pleated and brushed against the top of her ankles.

She lifted the skirt and got on her knees, searching for a pair of matching shoes. Something that hopefully wasn’t caked with dirt. Her silver ones were a little too dressy for a simple lunch. Instead she picked a pair of lavender ones.

She wasn’t sure how late it was, so she skipped a bath. Instead she pulled her hair up and rubbed a lightly scented lotion on her neck and arms.

“Clarissa!” She called to the basement on her way out. “I forgot I promised to have lunch with the Arch Mage! I’ll be back shortly.”

She picked up her skirt and ran to the edge of Lake Rumare, pausing only to cast a water walking spell. Though she was only jogging on the lake at a slow pace, she was surprised at how quickly she started to feel winded. She bit her lip, remembering when she and Kalila took the same short cut to the Imperial City. Kalila was able to keep the same pace without breaking a sweat!

She only slipped a couple times when the spell started to wear off. By time she made it to the waterfront her shoes were soaked. “Dammit!” She hissed. “What are you looking at?” She snapped at a passerby as she wrung the water from her slippers.

The table was set beautifully with a white linen cloth and polished silverware. The grass was such a rich green and the flowers that bloomed were all bright and fragrant. It was a beautiful day for a lunch outside. As the sundial slowly moved past two, Arch Mage Traven began to worry. Tara was never late. He glanced down at the table, neatly set for two, and he started to rap his spoon against the table. He frowned at the table. He was sure that she knew where to meet him. He was a man of habit and on warm days, he always had lunch in the Mages Garden. His stomach knotted even against his demands that it cease. He sneered at himself in disgust. He was acting like a boy forty years his junior, for the gods’ sakes!

He started to calm down as he began to stroll around the small garden. It would be a simple lunch; just tea and crepes. He wanted to know all about the project that had her away from the guild halls. Just a simple business lunch.

At least that’s what he told himself until she showed up.

She looked like she ran all the way there. Her cheeks were flushed and there was a light beading of sweat along her hairline. The bottom of her skirt was damp. Surely she didn’t run across the lake! That would put her right through the Waterfront. He couldn’t help wrinkling his nose at the very idea of her walking around that slum. She was lucky that she made it without getting assaulted or worse.

Tara managed a smile despite her tired appearance.

“I’m so sorry I’m late,” she said, approaching him as she pulled her hair from her face. “I was up all night with my research.”

Traven shook his head, pulling her seat out and inviting her to sit with him. “Not at all, Tara. In fact, I’d love to hear about what it is that you’re up to.” He poured her a cup of tea. He already knew how she took it. He then placed a crepe on her plate and one on his own.

“Spider daedra,” she said. “I’m studying their silk.”

Traven frowned. “Sounds dangerous.” He sipped his tea. “What is it you hope to find out?”

Tara’s eyes lit up. This always happened when she was starting a new project. It sent Traven’s heart to a flutter. “We know about spider silk made from spiders in other provinces. Some of them have natural properties that can be drawn out and manipulated when made into clothing. So what about that of the spider daedra?” She paused to try her crepe. She smiled as she chewed it, her eyes closing as she savored it. “That’s amazing. Anyway, so what we know about daedra silk is that it’s very heavy. In fact what is really about a pound of silk feels like it’s twice that. We also know that when mixed into certain potions, it can help you see at night.” She took another bite. “But what I’m starting to notice it that if you combine just the right about radishes, it can create a chameleon effect.”

Traven choked on his tea. “Radishes?”

Tara nodded. “I discovered it by accident when I was cooking.”

Traven looked into his tea cup. “Ah…” He paused. “It must get lonely for you.”

“Hmmm?”

Traven looked up to see Tara’s eyebrows raised. He silently kicked himself. That was supposed to stay in his head. “Well,” he said after a sip. “I mean you’re back at your house doing all this alone. You were staying at the Skingrad Guild for so long and to wind up back all by yourself… I mean, you’re not even in a city anymore.”

Tara smiled a little. “It’s fine. Someone has to watch over it now that Kalila won’t be coming back every weekend.” She paused, sighing a little. “It’s so strange. Sometimes I still expect for her to come home excited about something new she’s learned or with questions about her homework. I just can’t believe she’s all grown up now.”

Traven laughed a little, glad that his slip had gone by without incident. “You’ll always think of her as your kid sister. There’s nothing wrong with that. There are some student that I’ve watched grow up and then I just sit back amazed at how time has gone by… all these years…”

He looked up at Tara, slightly disturbed at what he was realizing. He had graduated nearly a decade before her mother should have. He was still studying at the Mages Guild when Tara was born. He had known her that long… He looked away, suddenly feeling a little queasy.

“Is everything alright?”

He looked back at Tara and suddenly his sickness vanished. He just couldn’t help what he felt when he looked into those brown eyes.

“Fine, fine… I was just remembering the days of my youth.” He sighed wistfully. He noticed that she had finished eating and was looking slightly fidgety. He frowned a little. “Well, it seems I’ve kept you long enough. I do hope that you will come back soon for another chat.”

Tara got up quickly. A little too quickly for Traven’s liking. “I will. Thanks for lunch.” She smiled and he saw that it was genuine. Why was she in such a hurry to leave?

Tara felt bad. She could tell that the Arch Mage noticed her rushing. She saw it in his eyes. She didn’t mean to, but she was on a deadline. Who knew if Rufio would remain where he was supposed to?

The trip to The Inn of Ill Omen was going to take a while. She sighed, casting the water walking spell on herself as she stood on the banks at the Waterfront. At least it would put her ahead of schedule. That would give her time for some actual work.

This post has been edited by Jacki Dice: Jan 25 2013, 06:39 AM

--------------------
Madness Helps Me Save Myself
Nemesis

Standing on the cliffs that kiss burning winds
We are rising together
Brazen, exalting, a hiss of triumph rings
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jun 5 2012, 06:30 AM
Post #45

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh, you have much sympathy, I know all about work and lethargy... kvright.gif ...

Traven makes my skin crawl...He really does... laugh.gif ...Brilliantly done that...

Wonderfully done that picnic...Traven was far too eager to...Connect...And Tara was far too eager to get away, this is a bad combination as it'll probably just inflame Traven's purely professional desires even more... indifferent.gif ...

Brillliant chapter...Brilliantly done...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 5 2012, 09:13 PM
Post #46

Ancient
Group Icon

The journal was a good way of bringing us back up to speed with where things are. Plus I believe there were a few new tidbits. 13 souls, and it has to be competed when both moons are new. Excellent choice on the new moon btw. It is a time after the death of the old, yet before the birth of the new. A time when all things are possible.

I lovee Tara's frantic dash across Lake Rumare! It takes waterwalking magic so for granted, but that is exactly how a magician like Tara would be.

So radishes and spider silk is it? In wonder how much of that was pure b.s. she made up on the spot? Probably all of it I suppose. Still, she dodged the Arch-Mage, at least for now.

Poor Traven too. From the outside he is just a creepy old man. But when you see things from his point of view, you see he does not really grasp how hard he has fallen for Tara. Though he at least does realize how much older than her he is now. I wonder if that will cause him to back off some now?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 8 2012, 12:32 AM
Post #47

Councilor
Group Icon

Tara’s detached tone in her scholarly writing made the subject somehow more chilling. All of the little details here like the wet hem and scented lotion make her such a vivid, living character. Someone I feel I might know. Someone who needs twelve more souls. blink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 27 2012, 05:04 AM
Post #48

Ancient
Group Icon

Tara’s eyes lit up. This always happened when she was starting a new project. It sent Traven’s heart to a flutter.

Lol, I wonder if Traven's infatuation will live past finding out she is a necromancer, lol. (It surpassed him realizng he was robbing the cradle, so it may live on in spite of Tara's activities. After all, she has a good cause).

Another wonderfully creepy write - you are in your element with the dark side, Jackie !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lycanthropic-Legend
post Jul 1 2012, 12:07 AM
Post #49

Agent

You are a very talented writer. I must say the first chapter of your story was intruging. Stealth, death and undeath. Makes for a very gritty story and a truly dark tale which has my buzzing about as a fly to fire. I will have to catch up to the other chapters. But I am definetly reading this!

--------------------
"The speed and strength of the beast. The thrill of the hunt. The triumph of the kill. This is our purpose, our way of life."-Majni.
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Aug 12 2012, 06:58 AM
Post #50

Knower
Group Icon

McBadgere~ I think Traven is one of the easiest for me to do.. simply because I wind up meeting people who make me feel exactly like that! And for the most part, I'm sure they don't mean to, but I'm very paranoid... >.>

SubRosa~ I think the thing I like best about this one over Madness, is getting to add what I know about magic and insert it here to build it beyond mysticism used in the game smile.gif

Grits~ The journal was inspired by this song. The first time I heard it, I just stopped what I was doing, and proceeded to listen over and over. Its just too perfect! SO the journal will be an ongoing thing throughout smile.gif

mALX~ Aww thanks mALX smile.gif As much as I love Madness (and promise that it hasn't been abandoned!) this truly feels better to write.

Lycanthropic Legend~ Aww thanks! Its always nice to have a new reader smile.gif I hope you continue to enjoy it!

~~~~~♥~~~~~

Chapter Seven: Rufio

Thirteen soul gems had been prepared in advance. Tara had one slipped in her skirt. She ran her finger down the facets as she walked down the path to the Inn of Ill Omen. What a name, she thought. It made her all the more nervous to set foot there for fear that something would go horribly wrong.

The inn was just down the street from another. In comparison, the Inn of Ill Omen had doomed itself, likely due to its name. The other inn was brightly lit and even from the distance, Tara could smell the savory food cooking inside. Her stomach complained loudly. Night had long since fallen and she hadn’t eaten since lunch.

She placed her hand on the door, but pulled away quickly. If there was only a handful of people there, or worse, just Rufio, then she would be instantly named as the killer. Though she would give a false name if needed, there was still the lack of an alibi. If she were named as a suspect and her house searched… She closed her eyes, taking a deep breath at the very thought of others discovering Clarissa. Her name would be ruined. All she worked for would be for nothing.

Tara walked around the inn, noticing windows at the ground. If it was similar to her own house, the windows would lead to a cellar. She knelt down. It was large enough for her to slide into. A dim light shone through the filthy glass. It was a chance, but a better one than storming the door.

She used the dagger given to her by the assassin to break it. She hoped that whoever was upstairs wouldn’t hear it. She crawled down on the ground, overwhelmed with the fertile smell of dirt. It only reminded her of digging up graves.

She slipped into what seemed to be a modest bedroom. She landed on a ratty bed with a tattered blanket on it. A worn dresser sat next to it. A leather bound book was a top it.

Tara sat on the bed for a moment, her stomach starting to twist at what she was about to do. She buried her face in her hands, trying to calm herself down. How was it that other people could kill without a thought, yet it rendered her sick? She never in a thousand years would have expected to wish for that apathy toward another person’s life, yet here she was.

A shuffling caught her attention. She stood up, straightening her skirt, as if she were expecting someone important. She held the dagger behind her back, biting the corner of her lip. The side of her stomach felt like a thousand spiders were nesting inside. Her hands started to feel numb. She wanted to cry.

A man opened the door, jumping a little when he saw Tara. He was considerably older than her. Definitely old enough to be her father, perhaps maybe her grandfather. He looked her up and down suspiciously. “Who in Oblivion are you?” He asked.

Tara couldn’t speak. She couldn’t find the words. Besides, what was she supposed to say? Hello, I’m Tara and I hope you’ve lived well because tonight’s your last!

She didn’t notice her hand drift out from behind her, the dagger gleaming in the candlelight. He did. "No,” he hissed. He must have known that someone would be coming for him, because he fell to his knees, gripping Tara’s skirt. “Please! I didn't mean to do it, you understand me? She struggled! I... I told her to just stay still, but she wouldn't listen! I had no choice!"

By time Tara realized what he just said, she felt like a thick grease glazed over the spiders in her gut. “By the gods…” She whispered, taking a step back. Suddenly, she didn’t feel quite so bad.

“I didn’t mean it,” he said again. “Do you understand me!” He got up, trembling violently. His eyes were bulging out of his head. “She made me do it! Dammit, you can’t punish me for that!” He took a step toward Tara, grabbing her shoulders. “It wasn’t my fault!” He screamed, spittle flying from his mouth.

“Let go of me,” she said.

“All you wenches are alike!” He said through clenched teeth. For an old man, he had a tight grip. His hands travelled down to her arms, holding her tightly. “And now you, you come into my room and you think you’re going to kill me? Huh?” He threw her to the ground. The dagger skittered across the floor, under his bed. “You stupid, little tramp!”

Tara turned and with a wave of her hand, he was bathed in the purple glow or a soul trap spell. She crawled toward the dagger, but he grabbed her ankle and drug her toward him. She wanted to scream, but she knew that if she did, it was all over. As long as he was touching her, she couldn’t cast a shock spell.

There was a bowl on the floor. She grabbed it and threw it at him. It hit him in the face, making him lose his grasp for a moment. Tara took the opportunity to dash under the bed and grab the dagger. She had to hurry before the soul trap wore off. She hated to waste magicka.

She stood up and the moment he lunged for her, she held the blade out. He ran right into it. He froze, clutching the gaping wound in his gut. Tara closed her eyes. She thought she would take pleasure in it after know what he did. Just a little. A smidgeon. But she didn’t. She felt the same filthy feeling as the last time she did it. She took the soul gem from her pocket. As his eyes dulled, the black gem glowed. She threw his body off of her. Just as she feared, she got his blood all over her clothes. She sighed, sitting on the bed. Even if she got home without running into a patrolling guard, it would take ages to get the stains out.

“You shouldn’t have done it,” Tara said to Rufio’s corpse. She could still feel his bony fingers in her arms. She was about to climb out of the window when a familiar chill swept over the room.

The assassin, Lucien Lachance, appeared in the doorway, smiling down at Rufio’s body. His smile was colder than the air around him. Tara couldn’t suppress a shiver.

“So, the deed is done,” he said. “You are now a part of the family.”

Tara folded her arms. She didn’t feel comforted. In fact, she felt even worse. “Now what?” She asked.

“Now, you accept your fate. The slaying of Rufio was the signing of a covenant. The manner of execution, your signature. Rufio's blood, the ink.” He ran his finger in the puddle of blood that formed under Rufio. He dotted it on his lips, and then smeared it on Tara’s forehead. She flinched at his touch.
“As a Speaker of the Black Hand,” he continued. “I directly oversee a particular group of family members. Every Dark Brother and Sister is a child of Sithis. He whom we call Sithis has many other names. Chaos. Doom. Discord. Sithis is the Void. We of the Dark Brotherhood serve the Night Mother, who is the bride of Sithis. The Night Mother rules her children with a terrible Black Hand. The Black Hand is the ruling body of the Dark Brotherhood. It is made up of one Listener and Four Speakers. Four fingers and a thumb, if you will. As a member of the Dark Brotherhood, you must abide by the Five Tenets. They are the laws that guide and protect us. Welcome to the family.”

She said nothing.

“I still sense your hesitation.” He laughed a little. “No matter. In time, you will feel the embrace of your family. When you are ready to meet them, you will go to the city of Cheydinhal, to the abandoned house near the eastern wall. Enter the basement, and attempt to open the black door. You will be asked a question. Answer thusly: "Sanguine, my Brother." You will gain entrance to the Sanctuary. Once inside, speak with Ocheeva. We must now take our leave of each other, you and I, for there is much work to be done. I'll be following... your progress.”

Just as he had before, he vanished. The air slowly returned to its normal temperature, this time accompanied by the coppery scent of blood. As silently as she had slipped in, Tara climbed out of the small window.

This post has been edited by Jacki Dice: Aug 12 2012, 06:58 PM

--------------------
Nemesis

We are rising together
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Aug 12 2012, 04:02 PM
Post #51

Councilor
Group Icon

Yay!!...Missed this!...

Oooh, that was good!!...

The trepidation, the indecision...The will I get blood on my skirt?...

Brilliant stuff...

Well, old Ruffio definately deserved the punishment...

Nicely done that!!...

My views on the DB aren't exactly a secret, so I shan't bore you further with them now, just suffice to say, I had much fun ruining Lechance and offing all of Cheydinhal's chapterhouse in my story... biggrin.gif ...I am, however, looking forward to seeing what you do with Tara and the DB, and how she keeps this from Kalia...

Love it!!...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...

+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 12 2012, 07:49 PM
Post #52

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh my gosh, that song!! I listened to it so many times! There goes the day. tongue.gif Thanks for posting the link.

She had to hurry before the soul trap wore off. She hated to waste magicka.

I particularly liked this thought and the annoyance of bloody clothing mixed in with the horror. Tara is so practical. Great to see an update, Jacki Dice! smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 12 2012, 08:19 PM
Post #53

Ancient
Group Icon

I sometimes wonder if Bethesda decided to call it the Inn of Ill Omen precisely because of it being the start of the DB questline.

overwhelmed with the fertile smell of dirt. It only reminded her of digging up graves.
This was a good little mood-creator.

Tara's first murder was as chaotic as I expected. I just loved her little moments of pragmatism through it all. Like hating to waste his magicka of the soul trap wore off before she killed Rufio. Or how it would take forever to get the blood stains out of her clothing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 28 2012, 06:01 AM
Post #54

Ancient
Group Icon

What a twist you've given to entering the Dark Brotherhood! LOVE this story, you are def in your element in this dark side! AWESOME Write !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Jan 18 2013, 02:59 AM
Post #55

Knower
Group Icon

I'm sorry I keep vanishing. When it rains...

Boy, do I have some catching up to do on my favorite stories....

~~~~~♦~~~~~

Chapter Eight: The Anvil Mages Guild

Kalila was pleasantly surprised at the scent of Anvil. She had been expecting the stench of fish and pirates to be everywhere. Instead, she was greeted with the smell of ocean and there was not a pirate to be seen anywhere in the city.

The Mages Guild sat just behind a large tree, where a few robed mages sat buried in books. It was a large, three story building made from stone and topped with red clay tile. The blue banners hung proudly over the walls.

Anvil Mages Guild

Next to it was the Fighters Guild. Kalila noticed her eyes lingering on a pair of young men heading back inside. Their faces had been flushed and sweat beaded along their heads and into the cotton shirts they wore. As one of them met her gaze and smiled, she turned quickly. Lowering her eyes, she told herself that it was only the thought of training that caught her attention. She wasn’t sure that she was convinced.

Kestrella, a chatty, energetic Bosmer, wasn’t convinced either. “Check you out. Not in Anvil for two minutes and you’re already making friends.” She twirled one of her pigtails, bright and fiery as sunset with sparkling eyes that seemed to shift from green to brown like leaves of autumn.

Though highly introverted, Kalila didn’t shy away when Kestrella put her arm around her. “I see one of these days you and me are going to have to go over there and introduce ourselves. We’re practically neighbors after all…”

“You go ahead,” Kalila said, turning back to the Mages Guild. “I’ll be busy.”

Kestrella pouted. “Busy having no fun.” She paused. “You know, all work and no play—“

“Makes Jack a dull boy. I know. I’ve heard.”

“Shocker,” Kestrella said with a sigh.

Kalila frowned slightly, until Kestrella nudged her lightly. Even the slightest curve from Kestrella’s lips seemed to have all the brightness of the sun. The Bosmer was loud, cheerful, and seemed to have a reckless streak, Kalila couldn’t help feeling drawn to her in a way that she found confusing. Since Kestrella boarded the carriage at her house in the forests east of Skingrad, the pair had formed and become inseparable. While Kalila had friends growing up, Kestrella felt different than the others.

They followed the others through the light blue double doors. The interior was just as impressive as the exterior. Brown clay tile was at their feet, covered in some areas by matching red rugs. A pair of tables topped with fruit bowls and fresh bread greeted them. In the doorways beyond the entrance, Kalila could see shelves of alchemical equipment. A few people here and there dashed about, including a wood elf with an imp flying behind him. The man took a look at him and seemed to flinch. “The graduates?”

The group responded with nods and murmurs.

He let out a light sigh, as if they had come at a bad time. “Excuse me,” he said. As he ran up the stairs, leaving the imp behind.

Hushed voices upstairs were followed by a shrill “Now?!” A groan followed, as did the sound of rushing footsteps belonging to an Altmer woman.

“Welcome to the Anvil Mages Guild,” she said, smoothing her black dress. “I’m Carahil, the guildmaster. I apologize for the delay. It seems the gods chose this day for all oblivion to break loose.” She took a seat at one of the tables. “There was an attack at the Temple of Dibella and some blasted fetchers have been causing trouble up the Gold Road.” She sighed. “I’d love to give you all the grand tour, but we need all hands on deck. Thaurron,” she turned to the Bosmer. “Show them to the chapel.” She waved her hand to the door, sighing again. “And which of you is Kalila Blackstone?”

Kalila stepped forward. “I am.”

“Good, good. Arch-Mage Traven recommended you and he said you’ve got a knack for destruction. In a good way. I’ve got just the job for you.”

This post has been edited by Jacki Dice: Jan 18 2013, 03:00 AM

--------------------
Nemesis

We are rising together
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Jan 18 2013, 06:32 AM
Post #56

Ancient
Group Icon

I just started reading and am intrigued!

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jan 19 2013, 04:29 PM
Post #57

Councilor
Group Icon

Yay!!..A story that I have missed muchly!!...

And it returns with an excellent chapter!!... biggrin.gif ...

Everyone seems fantastic, and that new character's quite a laugh isn't she?... biggrin.gif ...

QUOTE(Carahil)
“Good, good. Arch-Mage Traven recommended you and he said you’ve got a knack for destruction. In a good way. I’ve got just the job for you.”

laugh.gif ...Excellent line... biggrin.gif ...

Got any more story lurking back there?... biggrin.gif ...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 19 2013, 11:07 PM
Post #58

Ancient
Group Icon

Welcome back Jacki! smile.gif

Kalila is in Anvil, and not a smelly fish or pirate in sight! laugh.gif I loved her and Kestrella (love that name btw, is it based upon the bird Kestrel?) oogling the manflesh of the Fighters Guild. Of course Kalila has to be a stick in the mud, too busy having no fun.

So much for the welcome wagon. The temple attacked, and fetchers causing trouble on the road? Uh oh. And it seems the Arch-Mage has been dropping Kalila's name. That cannot be good. What kind of trouble is she going to get into next!?! ohmy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
PhonAntiPhon
post Jan 20 2013, 12:41 AM
Post #59

Mouth
Group Icon

Just started on the prologue, and - (yes I know I am playing catch-up with everyone else) - it certainly makes me want to read on and find out more, which is always the first test, isn't it?
I tend to cleave to characters who are either ambiguous in some way and/or have something of the dark about them, and these pieces of yours certainly open with a promise of ticking my boxes.
All good stuff,I shall immerse myself again shortly.

--------------------
Settled in Breezehome - (Mostly)
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jan 24 2013, 05:58 PM
Post #60

Councilor
Group Icon

I’m so glad you’re back! smile.gif

What an arrival in Anvil for Kalila, and with an intriguing new friend. I love this story!

--------------------
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:45 AM